Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I think the premise shows a tremendous amount of promise. It is interesting that none of Milo or Mandy's family were present at the hospital. There is a mother there, who made those baby clothes. I wonder if the adopted brother's wife is a childhood sweetheart. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I pretty much hate the date dude.  He showed his true colors in that support group.  The woman's pain was his pleasure.  She was his entertainment.  Then he preys on an extremely vulnerable woman from the group and maneuvers her into sex that same day.  He's loathsome.

Sorry, but I didn't see it this way at all. I don't think Toby was taking pleasure in the other woman's pain; that scene read as embarrassed "laughing in church" kind of behaviour. I believe his apology to her and his observation that the other people in the group must hate him were sincere. I think reducing his interest in Kate to "prey[ing] on a extremely vulnerable woman" is to underestimate Kate's agency severely. There was nothing apparent to me in her behaviour or reactions to him that suggested her choices were compromised or the result of manipulation. I thought the show was at some pains to show the two of them as being on the same page. He was as open with her as she was with him; not every situation of emotional volatility requires professional intervention.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 21
On September 20, 2016 at 8:47 PM, Bluedog100 said:

I'm a dumb ass too. I couldn't figure out how they were smoking in a hospital and thought what a coincidence it was that another baby had been left at a fire station! Didn't connect the dots until it was basically spelled out for me here. Thanks guys! I have to say I really enjoyed it. 

Another dumb ass here, too. I knew there was a twist coming, but thought it was one of the triplets dying, which was mentioned on some talk show. I was upset that the mom wasn't on bedrest or having a c-section. Then I was also dumbfounded that anyone would smoke in a hospital. (And I'm old enough to remember smoking in restaurants, grocery stores, and movie theaters.) I would make a very bad detective. So glad I didn't know the twist ahead of time. I'll definitely give the series a try.

• Love 5
22 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Great explanation, makes the scenario somewhat plausible. I had no idea about the bolded part (I didn't grow up in the US), that's really sad to hear. It looks like maybe the story takes place in California? Kevin's sitcom would most likely be taping in LA, in the outside scene where Kate throws her junk food into the trash and puts dog poop on it, it looks like Spanish-style homes, and if Randall was just able to drive over to bio dad's place and then take him to his house, they must all still be in the general area where they were born. California has always been a progressive state, no? I would hope that stupid rule didn't exist there.

16 hours ago, mojoween said:

Even if Milo is a Steelers fan.

I believe the bio dad's address was shown to be in Philadelphia, and he drove to see him after canceling his afternoon work commitments, so that puts him somewhere in the tri-state area. Milo being a Steelers fan makes me think that the family is originally from back east and just the twins have moved to CA (unless the Manny's show taped in NYC?). I'm sure this will all be sorted in coming weeks.

13 hours ago, Artsda said:

I was really expecting a twist of Mandy's character to die leaving the 3 babies to Milo alone, so really glad that didn't happen. Loved the chem between Milo and Mandy.

Same...because I think Mandy Moore has died in everything I've ever seen her in!

• Love 3

I was leery because Mandy Moore has been in some sappy stuff, but what made me watch was I really liked Sterling K Brown in the OJ series and I am a sucker for dramedies (used to watch '30 something' when I was a teenager).

My favorite scene was between the doc (it was great to see a likable Gerald McRaney, used to love 'Simon & Simon' as a kid) and the father (good acting by Milo). As soon as the sister Kate said something about Dad talking about making lemonade then it clicked, and of course the fireman/black baby in the nursery I figured out the twist, though I hadn't been spoiled about it.

• Love 1

I may give it another go but I fear this one's not for me. Though I like Justin Hartley and Sterling K Brown, I loathed Milo Ventimiglia in Gilmore Girls and Heroes, and he did nothing to change my mind here unfortunately. The parents' storyline just came across as so hokey and forced. Sadly, Sterling's storyline also seemed forced after he met his bio dad.

I did enjoy the sibling relationship between Kevin and Kate and I'd be interested in seeing how they interact with their other brother. Overall I just felt it was overly manipulative however. No tears here.

And the lines about not having the conversation in the hospital because Jack 'knew' everything was going to be OK? WTF? I nearly threw my laptop across the room. Why would a doctor listen to that?

I'll see what next week's like, I guess.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

My favorite scene was between the doc (it was great to see a likable Gerald McRaney, used to love 'Simon & Simon' as a kid) and the father (good acting by Milo). As soon as the sister Kate said something about Dad talking about making lemonade then it clicked, and of course the fireman/black baby in the nursery I figured out the twist, though I hadn't been spoiled about it.

I didn't like this. It was just too slow and weepy. But I was so thrilled to see Gerald McRaney and also thrilled at his knock it out of the park scene with Milio. That did make me cry. What a memorable supporting actor.  Also thought it was weird that the daughter who is struggling with her weight imho reminds me of Delta Burke who is married to Gerald McRaney. 

I also did not like Toby. Far from seeming like the love of the daughters life I wanted her to run.  In general I didn't think any of the characters were too likeable. 

• Love 1

Late to the party but I liked it.  Didn't figure out the twist until the foreman offered him a cigarette....and I'm usually able to figure out twists (mostly with Lifetime movies lol).  The Challenger thing bothered me also. I'm a stickler for timelines.  Especially when a song is played that wasn't out yet.   He said he was 36 and in 2nd grade grade when it happened.  My sister was in 2nd grade and I was in 5th and we are 38 and 41.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, memememe76 said:

I think the premise shows a tremendous amount of promise. It is interesting that none of Milo or Mandy's family were present at the hospital. There is a mother there, who made those baby clothes. I wonder if the adopted brother's wife is a childhood sweetheart. 

I don't know how far away the family is, but Mandy went into labor 6 weeks early, so I would not be surprised if they couldn't make it on such short notice. Also lots of people (maybe most?) don't want a bunch of relatives showing up at the hospital when they give birth.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

So, how about this...did they ever actually say this show was set in 2016 or that the triplets were born in 1980?  Maybe the specific years for this shore are a bit more fluid?

I'm pretty sure they were born in 79.

• Love 1

^ Right. A pilot could be filmed a year or more before it's picked up. I think we might be making too much about what day it is TODAY as opposed to realizing it takes a couple of years to write, film, pick up, and air a pilot.

• Love 13

My verdict: I like it. Things could be tighter, timeline-wise, but for the most part, the acting & the writing make up for it. As The People Vs. O.J. Simpson proves, Sterling K. Brown is awesome. As an adopted child myself, my theory about Randall is that while he's got a great life, he's probably wondered since childhood about his birth family, especially his dad and why he gave him up. When Randall confronted him and told him about his expensive car, I was surprised that he still had it when he and his dad left, I was shocked that he made it out alive. However, I've also got a bad feeling that bio dad's gonna try to scam Randall and given the former's drug problem, that seems more than likely. 

Re Kate & Kevin, I like them. Kate's weight issues are an important part of her life, but they shouldn't be the only part of it. As for Kevin, while everyone can't relate to a rich and handsome actor, I believe that people can understand how it feels to be unfulfilled at a job they hate like Kevin was, hence his epic meltdown. 

Of course, Jack & Rebecca's story was the most surprising, on several levels. The acting by Milo Ventimiglia, Mandy Moore and Gerald McRaney was top-notch. About the Twist, as far as I'm concerned, that's the best use of time-jumping since the first flash-forward in Lost

I'm in. While the acting and the script of the pilot were impressive, the truth is this show had me at Sterling K. Brown's smile,  Justin Hartley's abs & Milo Ventimiglia's ass. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, DollEyes said:

I'm in. While the acting and the script of the pilot were impressive, the truth is this show had me at Sterling K. Brown's smile,  Justin Hartley's abs & Milo Ventimiglia's ass. 

I'm joining you at that table :)

I really enjoyed this. I had only seen one preview and I heard about a twist but didn't read too much on it, since I wasn't planning on watching it. But I decided to give it a shot since I adore Milo V (I watched the awful The Whispers only for him). I think the two timelines will be interesting. We can see Jack and Rebecca raising the kids and then we see them as adults. So far, I'm in.

I'm extremely shallow, but Justin Hartley, where have you been all my life?!

• Love 7

Justin Hartley -- Oh I loved him since his days on Passions.   Fox and Whitney forevah!  Or at least til I stopped watching daytime soaps.

Speaking of ... I loved his drunk scene it hit just right medium between self-pitying and self-righteous. I also liked the smallish scene of Russell cracking up comparing his own life to a sitcom. 

• Love 8
On 9/21/2016 at 9:10 AM, photo fox said:

they all acted like the bio dad was a horrible person for dropping his baby at the fire station. That's what you're supposed to do!

It struck me as ridiculous, too (keeping the baby or leaving him in a crack house would have been far worse) but did anyone else besides the "abandoned kid" have that reaction? I think it was implied that he was having a little breakdown and being irrational.

I haaaaaated the "I'm fat so my life is shit" storyline. Newsflash: you can love yourself and be loved at any size. You can also be healthy and successful at any size!* You can also be self-hating, unhealthy, unloved, and unhappy if you're thin! It's true!! Fat as a character shortcut for sad is lazy BS writing! And maudlin weeping over a well-stocked refrigerator is the kind of first world problem that should be embarrassing, but not for the reasons the show thinks.

I liked her boyfriend, but I wasn't sure why he was at the fat support group in the first place, since he didn't seem to need or want what they were doing. I didn't mind him laughing, because I understand what it is to be in a situation like that and suddenly realize how absurd it is, how bonding over self-hatred is a twisted pursuit, or even just feel like there's some kind of "life is crazy" tension you can't sustain anymore. I didn't think he was "manipulating a vulnerable woman" -- I thought he was genuinely attracted to her, plus he was nice about it when she was freaking out. I personally found her to be a draining wet blanket so I took him as being empathetic and affirming for her, not coercive or "taking advantage." He could be a good influence if he makes her realize that she's lovable and attractive with or without a diet.

Overall, I am on the fence about the show. I like family dramas and I enjoyed the "twist" but I'm not sure yet whether the overall tone will be fun or annoying for me. I'll give it time to develop.

And I really need them to wear nametags or something, because I don't know anyone's name, and I don't even know the names of most of the actors, so it's very hard to talk about the show, especially since they're all related and most of them we don't know their job titles either. I don't want to be reduced to "sad sis, buff bro, bespectacled bro, sad sis's bf, bespectacled bro's spouse, bespectacled bro's daughter, bespectacled bro's son...."

--------

*I won't cite examples of sexy, happy successful people who have a high BMI, since I'm pretty sure anyone can do that, but a resource for people looking for more general info, one place to start is http://healthateverysizeblog.org/

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 4

I'm kind of a snob about network dramas. I couldn't even take Parenthood or The Blacklist.  I guess HBO, Showtime and a few well-executed FX and AMC dramas have spoiled me.  In any case, I decided to give this one a try. I guess the hype got to me -- plus, the Pittsburgh angle (western Pa represent!) So far I'm glad that I did, though.  I thought the plots, dialogue, and acting were all nicely done.  I even teared up just a bit at the end (and I am not a big crier).  Sterling K. Brown is a treasure!

I knew there was a twist coming, but didn't catch onto it until I saw the 3 babies together in the nursery. Pretty sneaky, show!  Good twist though. So yea I'm in--at least for the time being.

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 5

Ahh, they "got" me with the twist!  Even for it being back in '79, I thought the dr. was a bit overly-folksy, warm and friendly, but I guess it worked overall.  I thought the best acting was Man-NY's dialogue with Thicke.  The moment he realized he had acted the hell out of the scene, then was being forced to throw it all away was very believable.  The pursuant tantrum, not so much.

Mr. fat-date shocked me and made me feel prudish about my horror that a man would be so sexually aggressive with someone he just met.  Equally horrifying was that ms.-fat let him into her home just like that (she didn't know at that time that her brother was inside).  Sadly, I think big girls are used to being treated like that. 

Perhaps this will be covered down the line, but how did the guy (or anyone for that matter) know that his mother died in childbirth and his father left him at a fire station?  If a baby is just found abandoned with no identification . . . ?

I'm in for now.

Edited by suzeecat
  • Love 5
19 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I agree.  Plus, the social worker would need time to see if other relatives might be available and suitable.  I thought it was a huge contrivance that, frankly, spoiled the "big twist" for me. * 

*Unless in future episodes it's shown that they didn't get custody that quickly and some time had passed before the adoption.  I'll give the show a couple more episodes to see if that happens.   

Who knows what may happen in future episodes, but remember, this baby was dropped off at a firehouse anonymously. They don't know who he is, so tracking down suitable relatives doesn't seem very likely.

• Love 7
20 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

That was deliberate - because he was doing both. The man was losing it. I found it pretty believable myself, having gone from laughter to tears, and vice versa, before.

That was one of my favorite parts, and found it a nice change of pace to what could've been a predictable scene.  People often experience complex and conflicting reactions to emotionally-charged situations. And then his daughter says, "Daddy, what's happening?" right after he mentions the sitcom. Cracked me up!

• Love 6

Like others I didn't see the twist coming. I didn't know one was coming. I only saw previews on TV and thought to give the show a shot. I only caught on when the fireman appeared. After that, I watched again and saw the subtle clues. 

Randall wasn't smart telling his birth dad how much he spent for his car and to say he paid it in cash? Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. I don't care for Randall's anger at his birth dad. He had a good upbringing, he's married with kids of his own and is financially successful. There's a good chance he wouldn’t have the life he has if his birth dad kept him. At least birth dad realized he couldn't care for baby Randall and dropped him someplace where he would get care and not put him in a dumpster. 

I think the parents are gone. I didn't see a text or call from the parents wishing their kids a happy birthday. I saw Kevin's email to Randall about his birthday. If the parents are still alive I guess it didn't suit the plot for now. 

I'll keep watching. 

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, candle96 said:

Who knows what may happen in future episodes, but remember, this baby was dropped off at a firehouse anonymously. They don't know who he is, so tracking down suitable relatives doesn't seem very likely.

Yes, but I would think they would at least try to track down relatives before deciding to give the baby to someone else.   

I would have thought the key to finding the father was the detective finding out that a woman was found dead, after having given birth, but a baby wasn't. Finding out who she was with thirty six  years later wouldn't be so easy, but not impossible I think. 

55 minutes ago, random chance said:

How would they do that, though? If he was dropped off anonymously, even DNA isn't going to be a help is it?

I don't know and, honestly, I don't even care.  

I've put this show on life support, give it a couple more episodes, then I'll probably pull the plug because the only one I remotely care about is the Manny.   It just reminds me of too many other family dramas I've seen over the years and I'm bored with those now.  I'd rather watch zombies eat people now.

On September 21, 2016 at 11:57 AM, Bruinsfan said:

I figured it out a few seconds earlier when the fireman introduced himself. Nice twist for someone going in blind, though.

I'm a bit puzzled by Sterling's anger. I was adopted and never had any curiosity about my biological parents, much less seething anger and resentment at being given up. Putting me up for adoption in a loving home was the best gift anyone ever gave me. I can get how someone with awful parents or raised in foster homes/institutions would be angry over the circumstances, but that doesn't seem to be the case based on what the siblings said about their upbringing.

I would imagine he loved his parents and upbringing but there's still a part of him he doesn't know. While being raised by amazing people is something he was thankful for it but it couldn't have been easy being a young black man being raised by a white family in the 80s in Pittsburgh (according to a Mandy Moore interview). I think we are going to see how he/his parents/siblings navigate that over the next episodes. 

• Love 6

I think the parents are gone. I didn't see a text or call from the parents wishing their kids a happy birthday. I saw Kevin's email to Randall about his birthday. If the parents are still alive I guess it didn't suit the plot for now. 

I didn't think we had to see any communication with the parents in this episode. It could have been done off camera. No need. 

• Love 2
On 9/21/2016 at 0:32 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

The pan away from Milo to the guy in the red outfit was extremely dopey I thought.  They pan to this random guy at a vending machine, and what?  He just has a weird 70's outfit?  (Did I miss something? It was so strange.) The cigarette sold it much better.

Pretty sure that was actually a cigarette vending machine, there to ensure we knew the firefighter wasn't just some nutjob who thinks smoking on the sly in a hospital in 2016 is ok, but rather that you could actually get the cigarettes right there in the health care facility because 1979.

On 9/21/2016 at 3:25 PM, Bruinsfan said:

He's as overweight as she is

Yes, but in my experience, if there is a man and woman who are proportionately the same 'amount' of overweight, the guy can get thinner women (see Kevin James, both in his shows and real life), but you never (rarely) see the woman with a thinner guy.

6 hours ago, possibilities said:

I haaaaaated the "I'm fat so my life is shit" storyline. Newsflash: you can love yourself and be loved at any size. You can also be healthy and successful at any size!* You can also be self-hating, unhealthy, unloved, and unhappy if you're thin! It's true!! Fat as a character shortcut for sad is lazy BS writing!

True, you can be happy/loved/whatever if overweight. But not everyone who is overweight is those things. This story line is not a cheap, lazy shortcut - it's reality for a lot of people. If you're not one of those people, consider yourself lucky.

As far as everything else, I, like many of you, didn't fully catch on until the cigarette offer. I was, however, seething/angrily perplexed over the vaginal preemie triplet birth. So at least that (sort of) is resolved by the jump into the past. Also, I forgot to quote it, but someone mentioned that they thought it was weird that no family members were at the hospital. Obviously it varies for everyone/different time periods, but I'm only 2 years younger than the triplets, and the only one with my mom was my dad, even though his parents and siblings lived locally. My mom's mom lived further away and was not meant to come visit until I was brought home a couple days later. But she hopped a bus the minute I was born and annoyed my mom by showing up too early :D So yeah, I don't think it was odd at all to not have relatives lurking at the hospital.

I'll watch for a bit before fully evaluating. I watched Parenthood but wanted to get violent with the TV in the later seasons. Too shmoopy and unrealistic. We'll see how this one plays out...

• Love 12
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

Newsflash: you can love yourself and be loved at any size.

I am a BIG girl who is very sexual and my long time sweetie is a nicely built hottie so it does happen in real life. ;) I noticed in the previews the boyfriend said something along the lines of he wants them to be about more than losing weight so hopefully they will address this too. 

• Love 13
7 hours ago, random chance said:

How would they do that, though? If he was dropped off anonymously, even DNA isn't going to be a help is it?

He could have left a note. "His mother died giving birth and I can't raise him, take care of him." Anonymous doesn't mean there wasn't anything with him.

I saw some news special once about people who had been abandoned as newborns tracking down their birth parents and other family members, so it definitely happens. They used some kind of database for people tracking down relatives, you send in your blood and it gets run through the system, then tells you that someone in the system (who would have previously registered themselves) is your biological uncle. 

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 1

Randall knew his birth mother was a crack addict who died in childbirth so I'm assuming birth father left some kind of note until told otherwise.  I also think his anger makes sense especially if Jack and Rebecca are dead like we think.  He described them as being exactly the kind of parents every kid deserves but he also knew that he'd been abandoned at birth.  Then his loving parents die (we assume) relatively young, he and his father share the same birthday, and he starts thinking about what he's missing and what he never had.  He sees Manny* and Kate, who know exactly where they come from biologically, and would like to know as well.  If birth father had turned out to be dead, I imagine Randall would have put the anger at abandonment and uncertainty aside simply because he'd have no outlet for them.  But birth father is alive and close by so Randal can confront him and let loose some of that anger. 

Not all adopted kids feel this way, of course.  One of my BFFs is adopted but it was a private adoption instead of abandonment and her birth parents were teenagers who were simply too young for the responsibility.  She's never met her birth father but, when she was old enough, she was allowed to contact her birth mother and now she has a relationship with her maternal birth family.  She has some of those answers that adopted kids often seek.  On the other hand, my other BFF's younger brother (who is also adopted, but from an orphanage in another country) knows he'll never have those answers.  Like Randall he's close to his family but he does feel some anger and uncertainty about knowing that his birth mother gave him up the day he was born.

It just depends on the circumstance and personality.  I do still expect that Randall started pursuing these answers only when the parents (Jack in particular given his reaction to his birth father) passed away and that it was only a hypothetical plan prior to that.

*I know his name's Kevin but I'm stuck on Manny.

• Love 4

I imagine Randall might also have complicated feelings about the fact that Jack and Rebecca only adopted him because their third biological baby was stillborn. When the doc was trying to have the "just in case" talk, Jack interrupted him and told him he was planning on taking three babies home, and that everything at home had been set up for three babies. Had the third baby survived, Randall would probably have ended up in the system. Once he was old enough to understand the story of how he was adopted, he could probably also sense that he was a "replacement" of sorts, and that his parents would always grieve for the dead child. As the doc said in his monologue to Jack, he's had five kids and eleven grandkids, and delivered countless of babies over his long career, but there wasn't a day that he didn't think about the child he and his wife had lost. Maybe part of Randall was happy that the third child didn't make it, and another part of him felt guilty for feeling that way.

• Love 14
On 9/21/2016 at 10:48 PM, Emily Thrace said:

I remember thinking it was odd that both OB's were male was odd. Its an almost entirely female field these days.

I would say it must depend on the area then, because there are just as many males as females where I am.  I have had only male ob/gyns for many years now (including those I was referred to by another physician).  

• Love 5
On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 6:17 AM, ClareWalks said:

I don't know how far away the family is, but Mandy went into labor 6 weeks early, so I would not be surprised if they couldn't make it on such short notice. Also lots of people (maybe most?) don't want a bunch of relatives showing up at the hospital when they give birth.

I had my babies in 1986 and 1991, and it didn't even occur to me or anyone else that my parents should be at the hospital, much less with me during the birth.  I didn't have any friends whose families were at the hospital. Now it really seems to be a thing - that both families and extended family, if possible, are waiting for the birth at the hospital, instead of waiting for a phone call.

• Love 5

The more I think about the pilot the more I like it.  Drama's aren't my thing and I think the last "big" drama I watched was ER (so maybe my comparison field is low) but I really thought the show was good.  One thing that made a big difference is there wasn't a character I hated - nobody I found annoying, no story line that I don't want to follow - I think all four were equally interesting in that I want to see where they all go from here.

Definitely one of those who didn't see the end coming - I really thought they were all on one timeline and even when he saw the abandoned baby for a second I though it would be a repeat of Randall not that it actually was him (not until the fireman offered the cigarette).

Now hoping they can keep this up for the next few episodes and through the season!

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, MaryPatShelby said:

I had my babies in 1986 and 1991, and it didn't even occur to me or anyone else that my parents should be at the hospital, much less with me during the birth.  I didn't have any friends whose families were at the hospital. Now it really seems to be a thing - that both families and extended family, if possible, are waiting for the birth at the hospital, instead of waiting for a phone call.

Yeah, it's crazy to me, I didn't even want any visitors at the hospital afterward because I couldn't shower properly for days and I was nearly constantly naked for one reason or another. Cannot imagine having a room full of friends and family watching the whole bloody event.

• Love 6
On 9/22/2016 at 0:27 AM, Love2dance said:

Another dumb ass here, too. I knew there was a twist coming, but thought it was one of the triplets dying, which was mentioned on some talk show. I was upset that the mom wasn't on bedrest or having a c-section. Then I was also dumbfounded that anyone would smoke in a hospital. (And I'm old enough to remember smoking in restaurants, grocery stores, and movie theaters.) I would make a very bad detective. So glad I didn't know the twist ahead of time. I'll definitely give the series a try.

Dumbass number three here. I was very confused - "Why is Walter Cronkite on the tv? Why are people smoking in the hospital?" It wasn't until I read online afterward about the "twist" that I went back and watched the ending again. Yes, I said, "D'OH!" as I smacked m y head.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Yeah, it's crazy to me, I didn't even want any visitors at the hospital afterward because I couldn't shower properly for days and I was nearly constantly naked for one reason or another. Cannot imagine having a room full of friends and family watching the whole bloody event.

Well, to be fair, most family and friends who visit the hospital nowadays aren't actually in the delivery rooms.  ;)

I visited most of my friends after they had their first babies (over the last 5-10 years) and I always waited until the day *after* the baby was born to come. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Duke2801 said:

Well, to be fair, most family and friends who visit the hospital nowadays aren't actually in the delivery rooms.  ;)

True, I've just seen some pretty horrifying essays about making childbirth into a party, which...I guess I question the sanity of anyone who would choose to attend such a "party" ;) 

• Love 2

About the fate of the parents...I think the mom's fate is up in the air, but the dad was *always* (well, both times) talked about in the past tense:  "Remember what Dad used to say...." and "My dad was a great guy" or something like that, so I would guess that the dad has passed on by the time we hit the children's 36th birthdays.

As for now family around...the babies were born 6 weeks early so, if Jack and Rebecca (is that their name?  I still don't have them all down) didn't have any local family, it would make sense that parents or other family might have planned to be in town for the birth, but since it happened so early they just weren't there yet.   But, yeah...it was also less common to have more than the father in the delivery room.  Heck, at that time, it was still a new thing to have HIM there...

• Love 3
2 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

About the fate of the parents...I think the mom's fate is up in the air, but the dad was *always* (well, both times) talked about in the past tense:  "Remember what Dad used to say...." and "My dad was a great guy" or something like that, so I would guess that the dad has passed on by the time we hit the children's 36th birthdays.

Yes, and bio-dad said to Randal, while looking at the family picture, "I bet your dad was real proud of you." I thought I missed something because how the heck did bio-dad know to use past tense?!? Did Randall explain off-camera that his father passed away? It was very odd that he didn't use present tense. I would look around at how successful and what a seemingly great husband/parent he is and say, "I bet your dad IS real proud of you."

• Love 1

In movies and TV, there is no bond like blood. Period. Therefore all adopted kids reject their adoptive parents for the real parents. This show is simply following the commandments. In this case, given Specs (Randall, right?) has instantly moved his real father into his home, he has totally rejected the impostor family. It is doubtful he has a relationship any longer with his false siblings. Kevin's email was likely another vain ploy on their part to continue the sham. Whether or not the end game for the show is to break the commandments, have an arc affirming a shared life over DNA, remains to be seen.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, sjohnson said:

In movies and TV, there is no bond like blood. Period. Therefore all adopted kids reject their adoptive parents for the real parents. This show is simply following the commandments. In this case, given Specs (Randall, right?) has instantly moved his real father into his home, he has totally rejected the impostor family. It is doubtful he has a relationship any longer with his false siblings. Kevin's email was likely another vain ploy on their part to continue the sham. Whether or not the end game for the show is to break the commandments, have an arc affirming a shared life over DNA, remains to be seen.

So you're saying that every adoptive parent is an imposter, be it on TV or real life?  You couldn't be more wrong, imho.  How can you say that someone who adopts is an imposter?  And there's absolutely nothing to imply that Randall rejected his siblings (yes, I'm using siblings because they ARE his sibs).  From what I can tell, Randall is in NY( I saw the license plates on his S550 Mercedes) and Kate and Kevin are in LA (I'm surmising that because of Kevin shooting a TV show and most are done in So Cal.)  There have been a number of shows where kids have been adopted, and they've not rejected the impostors.  Modern Family, Glee, 90210, Parenthood, Vampire Diaries, Gray's Anatomy, The Fosters are but a few TV shows with adoptive families who weren't impostors.    

• Love 2