Type keyword(s) to search

The Office (US) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Wanna play The Office Date, Marry, Kill? Good. I'll start.

D. Jim

M. David Wallace

K. Todd Packer

If I'm sticking with your three, I agree with those choices.

To pick a different three, I would 

D. Andy

M. Toby

K. Ryan

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Really? Andy?

Andy goes all out when he's first interested in someone.   He let Angela walk all over him.   He had that big over-the-top proposal.  He fell all over himself trying to get Erin to go out with him.  It's only when he starts getting bored that the problems start.  So that's when I'll move on to Toby.

• LOL 5

I saw the Season 2 Christmas epi today.  I've seen it before, but Michael just will not stop being wrong in this epi.  First he goes way over the price limit to buy Ryan a gift because of his weird crush.  Then, he's a total jerk to Phyllis over her gift.  OK, yeah, it kinda sucked, but it's an office Christmas party.  Those gifts aren't usually super great.  Then, he makes the whole thing a Yankee swap.  There's nothing wrong with Yankee swaps, but you have to know that's what you're doing to start with.  Who ende dup with the desk nameplate that said Kelly?  I know it wasn't Kelly, she took the book of short stories.  And, then he yelled at Dwight for having a stupid gift.*  Then, he couldn't understand why everybody was pissed off and decided buying large amounts of alcohol was the answer.  Any one of these things was enough to make him a jerk, but he really went overboard that episode.

*Who did dwight have that paintball lessons would have been a good gift.  We know he didn't have Michael (which is pretty much the only person I could see that it would make sense that he would want to spend extra time with), Pam, Kelly, Angela, Kevin or Ryan.  I'm pretty sure he wouldn't give that gift to Jim because he wouldn't have wanted to spend extra time with him.  Stanley would have had pretty much the same reaction as Michael and would have been completely forseeable.  I can't see Phyllis wanting to do that.  Darryl, Oscar, or Toby?  Is that who we're left with?  

Anyway, gifts that create an obligation are not a good gift.  Especially in a workplace environment. Unless Dwight really thought the recipient would want paintball lessons.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

OK, yeah, it kinda sucked, but it's an office Christmas party.  Those gifts aren't usually super great.  Then, he makes the whole thing a Yankee swap.  There's nothing wrong with Yankee swaps, but you have to know that's what you're doing to start with. 

Best present I ever brought to a party with a Yankee Swap.  People will fight over this all day.  Less than $10.

Capture.JPG

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

Best present I ever brought to a party with a Yankee Swap.  People will fight over this all day.  Less than $10.

Capture.JPG

We always did it in my youth group when I was in high school.  I always brought a pound bag of M&M's.  Stolen multiple times.  I think I ended up with it one year.  LOL.

• LOL 2

Who did dwight have that paintball lessons would have been a good gift.  We know he didn't have Michael (which is pretty much the only person I could see that it would make sense that he would want to spend extra time with), Pam, Kelly, Angela, Kevin or Ryan.  I'm pretty sure he wouldn't give that gift to Jim because he wouldn't have wanted to spend extra time with him.  Stanley would have had pretty much the same reaction as Michael and would have been completely forseeable.  I can't see Phyllis wanting to do that.  Darryl, Oscar, or Toby?  Is that who we're left with?  

Someone on the old Television Without Pity forum did the whole office and who had who... I think however the logic worked out, it was Dwight had Phyllis.

• Useful 1
On 12/12/2020 at 11:10 PM, hoosiergirl said:

Someone on the old Television Without Pity forum did the whole office and who had who... I think however the logic worked out, it was Dwight had Phyllis.

That's too bad.  I realized that as usual I totally forgot the existence of Creed and Meredith.  Creed would have been a good one for that gift.  Better than Phyllis at any rate.  I'll have to take notes the next time I watch.

• Love 1
Just now, peacheslatour said:

I wonder how the gang would respond to the pandemic. Would Dwight be a virulent anti-masker? Would Michael and Jan kill each other in quarantine?

If Michael and Jan had to quarantine they would definitely kill each other.  Dwight owns his own hazmat suit.  He would wear that every day. I'm no sure why we aren't all doing that.  The office people would all be working from home anyway.  They would probably get more done that way, harder to play pranks from home.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Dwight owns his own hazmat suit.  He would wear that every day. 

He would also have a containment tent around his desk with a dedicated positive pressure machine to keep germs out.  And he'd have a motion detector system to spray Lysol on anyone who dared to come within 10 feet.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

He would also have a containment tent around his desk with a dedicated positive pressure machine to keep germs out.  And he'd have a motion detector system to spray Lysol on anyone who dared to come within 10 feet.

Maybe but I also remember him ranting about his perfect immune system due to never being vaccinated and just letting himself be exposed to everything to build that system up.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I just watched Pam and Jim’s wedding. One thing I’ve always noticed is that Toby isn’t in the dance at the church. I just assume that Michael intentionally excluded him. However, during the wedding while everyone is in the pews applauding the newly married couple, he is nowhere to be seen and then all of a sudden he is standing next to Kevin when he high fives Jim. It’s just strange that he’s nowhere to be seen except for that one time (outside of the scenes where Jim and Pam are missing to the others while on the boat). 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 12/20/2020 at 11:58 AM, peacheslatour said:

Maybe but I also remember him ranting about his perfect immune system due to never being vaccinated and just letting himself be exposed to everything to build that system up.

That was my thought about Dwight in the pandemic. He'd be an antimasker for himself because he thinks he has the perfect immune system that will protect him, though it's possible he might be a mask Nazi with other people and perform citizens' arrests when he sees someone without a mask. He'd also come to work every day at the office even during a stay-at-home order.

Michael would go stark raving nuts, even without Jan at home with him, because he needs people around. He'd probably have started by making people come to the office even though Corporate wanted everyone working at home, until he got caught by Corporate. Then he'd go wild with Zoom, having a morning staff meeting, a mid-morning Zoom coffee break, lunchtime Zoom, afternoon coffee break Zoom, late afternoon staff meeting, and after-work Zoom happy hour. Later, he'd start sneaking to the office and hanging out in the warehouse, since they'd have to be there in person to load the trucks. Darryl would tell him there's some health and safety code that means he can't be in there.

If we're moving the early years to the present (the seasons 1-3 or so show situation in our current environment), then Pam as receptionist would have to come to the office to answer the phone and forward calls (since I doubt they'd have updated the phone system so she could run the switchboard from home). She'd be utterly bored because most customers would call their reps on their cell phones, and she'd be irked about Dwight insisting on being in the office. Dwight would get caught when Michael showed up, and Michael would send him home, then drive Pam nuts all day calling her on the phone while he sat in his office with the door closed.

Jim would get his usual amount of work (and maybe more) done between the morning Zoom staff meeting and the mid-morning Zoom coffee break. The rest of the day would be devoted to chatting with Pam and coming up with remote pranks, especially after he learned Dwight was in the office. He'd probably create the Zoom background of himself walking in on his Zoom call. He'd also have a video of himself nodding and looking attentive to play during all Michael's Zoom meetings so he could turn his camera off and do something else.

At least one of Angela's cats would appear in every Zoom meeting. Kevin would come to Zoom meetings without pants on. At least once, he'd forget and stand up to get something in the middle of the meeting. Kelly would change outfits for each Zoom meeting.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

That was my thought about Dwight in the pandemic. He'd be an antimasker for himself because he thinks he has the perfect immune system that will protect him, though it's possible he might be a mask Nazi with other people and perform citizens' arrests when he sees someone without a mask. He'd also come to work every day at the office even during a stay-at-home order.

Michael would go stark raving nuts, even without Jan at home with him, because he needs people around. He'd probably have started by making people come to the office even though Corporate wanted everyone working at home, until he got caught by Corporate. Then he'd go wild with Zoom, having a morning staff meeting, a mid-morning Zoom coffee break, lunchtime Zoom, afternoon coffee break Zoom, late afternoon staff meeting, and after-work Zoom happy hour. Later, he'd start sneaking to the office and hanging out in the warehouse, since they'd have to be there in person to load the trucks. Darryl would tell him there's some health and safety code that means he can't be in there.

If we're moving the early years to the present (the seasons 1-3 or so show situation in our current environment), then Pam as receptionist would have to come to the office to answer the phone and forward calls (since I doubt they'd have updated the phone system so she could run the switchboard from home). She'd be utterly bored because most customers would call their reps on their cell phones, and she'd be irked about Dwight insisting on being in the office. Dwight would get caught when Michael showed up, and Michael would send him home, then drive Pam nuts all day calling her on the phone while he sat in his office with the door closed.

Jim would get his usual amount of work (and maybe more) done between the morning Zoom staff meeting and the mid-morning Zoom coffee break. The rest of the day would be devoted to chatting with Pam and coming up with remote pranks, especially after he learned Dwight was in the office. He'd probably create the Zoom background of himself walking in on his Zoom call. He'd also have a video of himself nodding and looking attentive to play during all Michael's Zoom meetings so he could turn his camera off and do something else.

At least one of Angela's cats would appear in every Zoom meeting. Kevin would come to Zoom meetings without pants on. At least once, he'd forget and stand up to get something in the middle of the meeting. Kelly would change outfits for each Zoom meeting.

This is too perfect. And I bet Stanley would refuse to come into the office at all, no matter what and Meredith would show up wearing a mask and nothing else.

• LOL 2
On 1/3/2021 at 12:12 PM, peacheslatour said:

And I bet Stanley would refuse to come into the office at all, no matter what and Meredith would show up wearing a mask and nothing else.

I think while they're working at home and Michael is doing multiple Zoom sessions every day, Stanley would do crossword puzzles during the meetings, like he does in the office. He would clash a bit with Michael over whether the coffee break and lunch Zooms were mandatory, and once Michael declared that the ones during working hours were, he'd log on but turn off his camera and microphone and take a nap. One time, he'd forget to mute his mic, and his snores would disrupt the meeting.

Ryan would probably be one of those "I'm young and healthy, so I'm not worried and I'm going to live my life" guys who never stops partying, then later learns that he's an asymptomatic carrier when all his friends get sick around the same time. Kelly is one of the ones who gets sick, but then he won't visit her or even bring her soup because she's got the virus and is contagious.

Creed wouldn't show up for any of the video sessions, mostly because he immediately pawned his office-issued laptop, but no one notices. Also, the shelter he's staying in gets locked down to keep the virus from spreading.

Without having to deal with Kevin or any of the usual office distractions, Oscar manages to finish all his work for the day in an hour or two, so he starts taking on freelance accounting clients, doing the books for small businesses and helping people with tax returns and financial planning. He's contemplating quitting work and freelancing full-time when they have to return to working in the office, so he's trying to make as much money as he can now. (He always struck me as the person who seemed unlikely to have stayed there as long as he did. Everyone else had some reason, but Oscar had a skill that could transfer anywhere, and he was relatively sane and very frustrated with everything.)

Meredith would log in to the morning Zoom meeting from bed, usually hung over, right after she wakes up. She sleeps in the nude. She tries to angle her camera so it only shows her face, but sometimes the laptop slips from its position on a pillow and the staff sees far more than they want to. She also strikes me as the person in the office most likely to be a conspiracy theorist COVID denier anti-masker, and a video of her having a tantrum when someone in the liquor store makes her put on a mask would end up going viral. She'd be the one to actually get seriously ill and be hospitalized.

I can't really think of anything for Phyllis. She'd just enjoy being at home with Bob Vance. Her work might or might not get done.

Andy's probably making a lot of videos of himself singing a capella and recording all the parts to edit together, then he inflicts this on everyone during the Zoom meetings. His brother gets fed up with being locked down with their parents and comes to crash at his place, then unintentionally upstages him with an even better music video that goes viral and gets him a recording contract.

Michael would "forget" to give Toby the links for the Zoom meetings. Toby wouldn't care. He's kept busy dealing with staff complaints about Meredith being naked on Zoom, trying to tell Michael he can't have mandatory after-work online events, and informing everyone about updates to corporate policy about remote work.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

I think while they're working at home and Michael is doing multiple Zoom sessions every day, Stanley would do crossword puzzles during the meetings, like he does in the office. He would clash a bit with Michael over whether the coffee break and lunch Zooms were mandatory, and once Michael declared that the ones during working hours were, he'd log on but turn off his camera and microphone and take a nap. One time, he'd forget to mute his mic, and his snores would disrupt the meeting.

Ryan would probably be one of those "I'm young and healthy, so I'm not worried and I'm going to live my life" guys who never stops partying, then later learns that he's an asymptomatic carrier when all his friends get sick around the same time. Kelly is one of the ones who gets sick, but then he won't visit her or even bring her soup because she's got the virus and is contagious.

Creed wouldn't show up for any of the video sessions, mostly because he immediately pawned his office-issued laptop, but no one notices. Also, the shelter he's staying in gets locked down to keep the virus from spreading.

Without having to deal with Kevin or any of the usual office distractions, Oscar manages to finish all his work for the day in an hour or two, so he starts taking on freelance accounting clients, doing the books for small businesses and helping people with tax returns and financial planning. He's contemplating quitting work and freelancing full-time when they have to return to working in the office, so he's trying to make as much money as he can now. (He always struck me as the person who seemed unlikely to have stayed there as long as he did. Everyone else had some reason, but Oscar had a skill that could transfer anywhere, and he was relatively sane and very frustrated with everything.)

Meredith would log in to the morning Zoom meeting from bed, usually hung over, right after she wakes up. She sleeps in the nude. She tries to angle her camera so it only shows her face, but sometimes the laptop slips from its position on a pillow and the staff sees far more than they want to. She also strikes me as the person in the office most likely to be a conspiracy theorist COVID denier anti-masker, and a video of her having a tantrum when someone in the liquor store makes her put on a mask would end up going viral. She'd be the one to actually get seriously ill and be hospitalized.

I can't really think of anything for Phyllis. She'd just enjoy being at home with Bob Vance. Her work might or might not get done.

Andy's probably making a lot of videos of himself singing a capella and recording all the parts to edit together, then he inflicts this on everyone during the Zoom meetings. His brother gets fed up with being locked down with their parents and comes to crash at his place, then unintentionally upstages him with an even better music video that goes viral and gets him a recording contract.

Michael would "forget" to give Toby the links for the Zoom meetings. Toby wouldn't care. He's kept busy dealing with staff complaints about Meredith being naked on Zoom, trying to tell Michael he can't have mandatory after-work online events, and informing everyone about updates to corporate policy about remote work.

You could easily have been one of the writers for this how. You amaze me.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

You could easily have been one of the writers for this how. You amaze me.

I spent most of the fall binge re-watching the series, and I caught myself thinking about what they'd all be doing if the pandemic were happening then (or if you moved them in the season 3 or so setup to now), so I've probably devoted way too much brain space to this. 🙂 The Office: Pandemic Edition has been playing on a loop in my head.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Rainn Wilson was in this week’s episode of Running Wild with Bear Grylls. They hiked through the mountains in Utah. It’s like a super sized episode of The Office when Michael and Dwight go into the woods. 

• Love 2

I have an unpopular opinon re: Scott's Tots.

I'm not defending what Michael did.  Lying to those kids was wrong. However, the teacher said that x percent more kids were graduating that year than any other year.  That's not a bad thing. Michael's lie apparently did produce some good.  

I actually think it would have been a worse thing if he had done this at a better-off school because then he would have had the parents and kids thinking they didn't have to save up for college.  These families probably didn't have the money to save up in the first place.

Again, I'm not defending Michael at all.  I'm just saying it's not an all out tragic outcome.

4 hours ago, Katy M said:

Again, I'm not defending Michael at all.  I'm just saying it's not an all out tragic outcome.

I thought the same thing.  It was lousy of Michael to make a promise and not keep it, but it gave the students an academic goal to meet and they met it.  Many of them graduated who would not otherwise have done so, and maybe some of them could later find a way to get into college.

17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't like Third Rock From The Sun, there I said it. Why does it have to cut into The Office's time on Sundays?

I don't like Third Rock either. But I feel like between Cozi TV and Comedy Central I've seen every episode of the Office 3 times in the last year and a half.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I don't like Third Rock either. But I feel like between Cozi TV and Comedy Central I've seen every episode of the Office 3 times in the last year and a half.

At least. But that doesn't make me want to watch Third Rock.

• Love 1

I like Jim and all, for the most part, but it drives me crazy that he hires a Ben Franklin impersonator for Phyllis's bachelorette party.  Poor Phyllis.  POOR MEREDITH.  She wanted a stripper in the office sooooooooo bad.  And if it's because "Oh well Jim just cares about pranks so much" then why didn't he prank the men too?  Oh, no, he and Dwight were all on board for getting a traditional stripper for Bob's bachelor party and Jim even specified he wanted a blonde one.  Gross.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I like Jim and all, for the most part, but it drives me crazy that he hires a Ben Franklin impersonator for Phyllis's bachelorette party.  Poor Phyllis.  POOR MEREDITH.  She wanted a stripper in the office sooooooooo bad.  And if it's because "Oh well Jim just cares about pranks so much" then why didn't he prank the men too?  Oh, no, he and Dwight were all on board for getting a traditional stripper for Bob's bachelor party and Jim even specified he wanted a blonde one.  Gross.

Yeah, he should have pranked the men as well. He was gross in that episode but I did dig Dwight quizzing old Ben.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Yeah, he should have pranked the men as well. He was gross in that episode but I did dig Dwight quizzing old Ben.

Jim was gross in a lot of episodes.  I was actually rooting for Pam to run away with Hot Boom Mike Guy.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

My unpopular opinion is that Pam was a biotch in a lot of the episodes. Just rewatched "The Fire" from season 2 and when they are playing Desert Island, Pam's first movie choice is "Legally Blonde," which Jim scoffs at and she immediately changes to five different movies. (Okay, Pam, stand up for yourself.) 

Then when Amy Adam's character shows up and gives "Legally Blonde" as her first choice, Pam's laugh makes me hate her so much.  UGH! 

And both Jim and Pam running over to Dwight's car when he's upset because Michael is all about "the Temp" is just nauseating.  Sometimes I think I'm hate-watching the show. LOL. 

Currently enjoying a book called The Office: The Untold Story of the Greatest Sitcom of the 2000s, by Andy Greene. It's all BTS interviews, organized intelligently by chronology of episode and/or topic. I'm kind of dabbling in it while I read other books, but every time I go back to it, I almost have to stop myself from reading more, because it's so good.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Milburn Stone said:

Currently enjoying a book called The Office: The Untold Story of the Greatest Sitcom of the 2000s, by Andy Greene. It's all BTS interviews, organized intelligently by chronology of episode and/or topic. I'm kind of dabbling in it while I read other books, but every time I go back to it, I almost have to stop myself from reading more, because it's so good.

Did it change your perspective about any of the characters?

Edited by peacheslatour
On 9/6/2021 at 10:29 AM, cardigirl said:

My unpopular opinion is that Pam was a biotch in a lot of the episodes. Just rewatched "The Fire" from season 2 and when they are playing Desert Island, Pam's first movie choice is "Legally Blonde," which Jim scoffs at and she immediately changes to five different movies. (Okay, Pam, stand up for yourself.) 

Then when Amy Adam's character shows up and gives "Legally Blonde" as her first choice, Pam's laugh makes me hate her so much.  UGH! 

It depends on what motivated her laugh. It was because she was belittling Amy Adams, then yeah, she's a jerk. If it's because she finds it funny that Jim had to call her out for the exact same movie choice of the woman he's dating, then yeah, I also find that a little funny.

My big problem with Pam is that for 2 seasons she is planning a wedding with one man while she clearly prefers another.  Even if nothing happens with Jim she is being grossly unfair to Roy.  Yes, Roy also has his issues during this time, but that doesn't excuse Pam.

• Love 3
On 9/6/2021 at 10:29 AM, cardigirl said:

And both Jim and Pam running over to Dwight's car when he's upset because Michael is all about "the Temp" is just nauseating.  Sometimes I think I'm hate-watching the show. LOL. 

Jim extended so much sympathy to Michael anytime he was going through issues but continuously tortured Dwight and Andy.  He could be pretty heartless.

Also in Fun Run, after Pam is so smug and happy after finally getting Jim, she's bragging about how prepared she is for the race and Jim asks "Why didn't everyone else prepare the way you did?" she answers "Because they're stupid."  People will probably say "They're just joking" but "Because they're stupid" is in no way funny?  It's just smug and dumb?

They are both so in love with themselves and each other.  

• Like 1

Right?? They got really insufferable after the wedding.  When Pam had morning sickness and had a whole list of things that her coworkers were forbidden to do (i.e. what foods/perfumes triggered her nausea) I was thinking ‘no way would that fly in the real world’.  What a snowflake 🙄

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Kiki777 said:

Right?? They got really insufferable after the wedding.  When Pam had morning sickness and had a whole list of things that her coworkers were forbidden to do (i.e. what foods/perfumes triggered her nausea) I was thinking ‘no way would that fly in the real world’.  What a snowflake 🙄

And it did not fly on the show either. What I hated was their constantly forcing people to look at their insipid baby pictures all the time. I loved Robert California's reaction.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 9/10/2021 at 1:08 PM, peacheslatour said:

And it did not fly on the show either. What I hated was their constantly forcing people to look at their insipid baby pictures all the time. I loved Robert California's reaction.

I've had several female coworkers do all of the above over the years. When I was the same age as women having their first kids, there was a group of four women that were pregnant the same time. They didn't really do much work the last half of their pregnancies because they all hung out together doing baby preparation stuff. When they got back to the office after their maternity leave, they didn't do any work for about the next year either because all they did was talk about baby stuff.

Considering Jim and Pam worked in a bull pen where there would be a variety of smells throughout the day including Dwight eating eggs (yuck), I actually thought they were reasonable in their requests in comparison to what I've personally experienced.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I'm so glad that other people understand how I feel!

Something else that I really really really hate about Jim and Pam?  They do that thing that some insufferable couples do when one of them says "Tell them ___________."  "Tell them the story about how __________."  "Then tell them what you did next."

GOD JUST SHUT UP.  TELL THE STORY YOURSELF.  TALK FOR YOURSELF.

OH MY GOD.  STOP ACTING LIKE A TWO HEADED MONSTER!

I can't take that shit.

There were so many dumb Jim Pam jokes that were soo nooooottttttt funny whatsoever, but were just to please the horny writers I guess?

Like remember when Jim said "So there's no shotgun?  Then I'm not going through with this wedding."  Again --- that's not actually funny.  It's just dumb sarcasm that nobody buys for one second.

I've ranted many times in the past about how devoted the writers were to shoving how attractive they thought Jenna Fischer was down everyone's throats.  Besides making every single man in the office hit on her besides 3 (1 gay - Oscar, 1 married - Stanley, and 1 her ex-husband's BFF - Darryl), they also had to insert dumb moments as

1). A stripper telling Pam "You could strip you know."  Why the hell would she say that?  And.... nOOOOOoooooooo!

2). Pam supposedly went on two dates with Danny Cordray as portrayed by Timothy Olyphant?  On what planet!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Anyways, now I'll say something positive.

I love the consistency of Angela, Oscar, and Kevin ALWAYS acting like accountants.  Like they only know how to be accountants in every aspect of their personality.  I love character consistency so much.

When Michael tells them he sold his condo, they all freak out and tell them Michael, you never sell your condo!  Why would you do that?  Who is advising you?  LOL!

On 3/28/2021 at 5:56 PM, peacheslatour said:

OMG, I was just watching the episode Nepostism. I've seen it before but I never realized that Michael's gawdawful nephew Luke was Evan Peters.

LOL!  Congratulations to him, he just won an Emmy!

On 11/16/2020 at 12:50 PM, Katy M said:

If I'm sticking with your three, I agree with those choices.

To pick a different three, I would 

D. Andy

M. Toby

K. Ryan

These are my 3 favourite characters.  Even in order.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay