Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GHScorpiosRule

S14.E31: Kellyanne Conway, Adam Gopnik, Margaret Hoover, Ralph Reed, Kerry Washington

Political strategist hack Kellyanne Conway, Writer Adam Gopnik, Political Commentator Margaret Hoover, Political Activist Ralph Reed, and Actress Kerry Washington.

Yuck. The only person I'm looking forward to seeing is Kerry Washington.

• Like 3

Just now, SierraMist said:

If KAC starts talking over everyone again, I'm changing the channel.  I hope someone will be able to stop her from spouting her lies.

Fortunately, she's the top of the hour interview guest and NOT on the panel! But still. I LOATHE her. Will Bill let her talk over him?

• Like 1

Uuf.  It's not enough I have to see her on my tv every damn day, purring about "Mr. Trump"?

She looks SO surprised and affronted if the interviewer says anything probative--like she's The True Believer.

Somebody hand that woman a cup of Kool-Aid.

• Like 2

I don't see how she could be on the regular panel since she's Trump's campaign manager.  Then he'd have to give time to someone from Clinton's campaign.

He's usually civil to the first guest though.

10 hours ago, scrb said:

I don't see how she could be on the regular panel since she's Trump's campaign manager.  Then he'd have to give time to someone from Clinton's campaign.

He's usually civil to the first guest though.

Bill is usually pretty civil to everyone.  But I hope he brings up all the nasty stuff she said about Trump (and his supporters) when she was affiliated with Ted Cruz.

• Like 1

Well, whenever she's been on the panel, Bill never let her get away with her shit--he always called her out on it, so if she's not there in person (Please NO! Because then she'll be on Overtime), but via Satellite, I hope he calls her out on her shit and brings up the shit talking she did before she became the Orange Orangutan's mouth piece.

• Like 1

Kerry Washington is my HERO!!!! Loved her, loved her, LOVED HER tonight!

Hoover was just useless and I don't think I ever noticed until tonight how fastshetalkstothepointIcan'tunderstandasinglewordshe'ssaying.

That asshole Reed monopolized not only most of the panel, but even Overtime. I'm thanking the TV Gods, that hack Conway was a satellite interview and wasn't on Overtime. And she suffers from the same disease as Drumpf: Unable to tell the difference between the truth and lies.

I wanted to hear more from Gopnik, but noooo, Reed, who looks more like the cryptkeeper, kept talking over him. I'm glad Gopnik got the last word in on Overtime.

Did I mention how awesome Kerry was?

I did like how Bill was calling Conway out on her bullshit, but typical of her, she just wouldn't answer the question and went on her own spin, like she has always done, even when she sits on the panel on this show. She and Drumpf deserve each other because they're both delusional pieces of shit.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 12

Oh my god. I had not seen Conway interviewed before this. What a crock of SHIT that spewed from that woman's mouth. I almost couldn't make it through that interview. That was maddening. Every single fucking word out of her mouth was a lie, and everything she accused Hillary of is EXACTLY what Trump is! Hillary doesn't talk about issues? Fuck you, KellyAnn. Your candidate has a brain the size of a pea.

People LIKE this person? No. No way. She's evil. Bill was easy on her, I guess because she's his friend, but that woman is the Leni Reifenstahl to Trump's Hitler.

I also wasn't crazy about Bill's final New Rule. Come on, Bill, hypocrite much? For years he's been the one saying Democrats need to fight back and grow a pair or whatever, but now it's all so sad because no one's civil? And he pinpointed the cause of all this incivility- it originates with Republicans and the racist backlash to the first African-American president, and what is obviously going to be the horrendously misogynistic reaction to the first woman president.

I refuse to say both sides are the same, when Dems had to learn to fight back against outright racism and call it what it is. And now Republicans have nominated an absolutely unacceptable person who could NEVER do the job he's running for and spews nothing but bile towards people in this country- he should not be treated as legitimate. He's an existential threat to our democracy, and I'm with Gopnik. I don't believe we would survive his presidency, because the truth is we would have no idea who'd actually be running the country. Mike Pence? His kids? Conway? Or are the Republicans planning to impeach him the second he gets in and gives them a conservative justice for the Court?

Kerry was great, but these people are giving Conway too much credit. Brazenly lying in the service of absolute evil is not a virtue.

Edited by ruby24
  • Like 23

WORD to your entire post, @ruby24!

I forgot to mention how everything that lying liar who lies Conway said about Hillary is actually what that Orange Orangutan is!

Who is still refusing to reveal his taxes? Generous? Give me a FUCKING break. 

I need to go back and rewatch because I was so pissed by show's end and wasn't paying too much attention to New Rules.

I did love Bill's bit on Drumpf's "medical records" though.  And I loved the look/expression on Kerry's face whenever Reed opened his mouth. Like she wanted to reach over and punch his face. He, just like every other surrogate SYCOPHANT of Drumpf never answers the fucking question about the Orange warthog and instead deflects, brings up Hillary, and/or goes off some weird tangent. Like Reed did about the SF Bay cops. He wouldn't let anyone else speak, and by that I mean Gopnik and Bill.  Like I said above, Hoover was useless. Bill should have shut his cryptkeeper ASS down.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

WORD to your entire post, @ruby24!

I forgot to mention how everything that lying liar who lies Conway said about Hillary is actually what that Orange Orangutan is!

Who is still refusing to reveal his taxes? Generous? Give me a FUCKING break. 

I need to go back and rewatch because I was so pissed by show's end and wasn't paying too much attention to New Rules.

I did love Bill's bit on Drumpf's "medical records" though.  And I loved the look/expression on Kerry's face whenever Reed opened his mouth. Like she wanted to reach over and punch his face. He, just like every other surrogate SYCOPHANT of Drumpf never answers the fucking question about the Orange warthog and instead deflects, brings up Hillary, and/or goes off some weird tangent. Like Reed did about the SF Bay cops. He wouldn't let anyone else speak, and by that I mean Gopnik and Bill.  Like I said above, Hoover was useless. Bill should have shut his cryptkeeper ASS down.

I have been calling the GOP the grand old projection party for a few months now.  Sadly, the MSM won't challenge this or much of anything else that comes from the DT campaign.  Sounds like last night wasn't much different.

• Like 2

I almost didn't even watch this one as soon as I saw KellyAnne Conway's name. Thank God she wasn't on the panel. She never answered any of Bill's questions, he read her a laundry list of the lies Trump has told and all she kept doing was deflecting and pivoting to talking points about Hilary being dishonest. Whatever. 

Ralph Reed is kind of like the right wing Gavin Newsom. He doesn't look quite real and his teeth are scary white. 

Loved Kerry Washington. I wish she was running for president.

• Like 5

I would hope Bill looks at the video and has a moment of clarity. When you're agreeing with Ralph Reed on an issue maybe it's time to admit you have a problem with Muslims? It's the equivalent of turning tricks in a Wal-Mart restroom and meth. It was almost worth it though to hear Adam Gropnik making a cogent historical argument that seemed to actually be getting through a bit about how "common sense security precautions" can shade into discrimination and cruelty very easily. It's too bad it seemed to get a bit lost in what an awful butthead hypocrite Ralph Reed is.

• Like 4

I risk stating the obvious, but my jaw fell to the floor during KC's riff on 'what happened to aspirational Dems, like when I was one?' And then she named Bill Clinton as an example. Now, I agree he was aspirational, but let us please not forget that Kellyanne MADE HER BONES as a Republican strategist by being a Clinton attack dog -- in fact, that's what got her booked on Maher's old show! She married one of the anti-Clinton 'elves', for fuck's sake.  So, no Kellyanne, no. You don't get to claim credit for the positive attributes of a pol you spent your career maligning.

I do find it scarily fascinating how these types can take a question and spin it without blinking, breathing. It's an astonishing skill set.

I also love how right-wingers cleave to the tenets established by lefties whenever they're aggrieved. The hurt fee-fees of the police union who threaten not to do their job because a single football player (in a stadium of tens of thousands) doesn't stand during a song? "Hostile work environment!" As if they've ever had an ounce of compassion for that notion when it's been lobbed their way.

• Like 14

On 9/15/2016 at 6:58 PM, candall said:

She looks SO surprised and affronted if the interviewer says anything probative--like she's The True Believer.

Like Bill said in the interview, "she is good at what she does." She's even better than Coulter, who literally wrote the books on professional trolling. I think she's dangerous if she can control the narrative, like she was trying in the interview. Look how she busted out the 'deplorable' anecdote. 

12 minutes ago, attica said:

I do find it scarily fascinating how these types can take a question and spin it without blinking, breathing. It's an astonishing skill set.

It is. And there's enough people that actually buy in. 

• Like 7

She's good if you play her game. If you allow her to filibuster, she will give you multiple paragraphs of non answers. If you interrupt her, if you ask follow up questions, and if you give her something she isn't prepared for, she struggles. The other day, when someone on CNN asked her if Trump will release the audit letter from the IRS (proving that he's actually under audit), she suddenly asked the interviewer to repeat the question (as if she didn't hear it correctly, but she did), which then gave her a few extra seconds to formulate an answer. 

As Rob Reiner said previously on the show, you can't play their game. Keep asking Trump and his surrogates the same question until they answer it, and point out when they aren't trying to answer your question. When Bill Maher brought up some of Trump's lies, he should have just kept at it, until she addressed them. But he moved on to something else. And thus, her strategy worked. 

She's been on television for almost twenty years. What other pollster appears on television all the time? What other pollster can anyone here actually name? She loves her cablenews fame. She was for Cruz a few months ago, now she's for Trump. She doesn't believe in anything she says, but she's perfected a particular rhythm of giving long answers that actually don't address the question. Given Trump's history, he probably isn't even paying her. She simply wants exposure and access to television. That's what matters to her. I wish Bill was honest enough to tell the truth, but he was actually pretty easy on her, because they're "friends." Just like he can't go all the way with Coulter. 

It wasn't a great show. Kerri Washington was the only highlight of the show. Margaret Hoover never says anything whenever she appears. Ralph Reed somehow looks like a 12 year old and claims he lived through Watergate. The third guy, I can't remember anything he said. New rules was forgettable. 

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, amsel said:

But he moved on to something else. And thus, her strategy worked. 

I'm not going to put it on Bill because he's an entertainer, but you're right. The media has been allowing this and just not doing their jobs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, attica said:

It's true--the rictus grin never faltered.  Kellyanne was the most adroit person on the show last night and Bill's protest that "this only works because everyone's so stupid" was like the glub-glub of someone sinking below the surface.

Kerri Washington was terrific, but unfortunately her starting line has been moved back, and she has to work with something of a 'Nazi march through Skokie' handicap.

Panel . . . what panel?  Oh right, Nixon, like that name strikes a relevant note with voters these days.

The whole show only added to my deepening distress, which bottoms out at the certainty that Trump Jr.'s campaign for presidential office will re-ignite this fan base and won't even have the big clumsy lumbering bear element.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, amsel said:

When Bill Maher brought up some of Trump's lies, he should have just kept at it, until she addressed them. But he moved on to something else. And thus, her strategy worked.

And that's the problem I had with Bill's interview with Kellyanne Conway. He starts off on the attack and then lets her off the hook by moving on when he should have been turning the screws on her more. Bill did not do his job properly and allowed the alpha bullshit artist Kellyanne to "win".

I had to laugh at Bill's New Rules sermon. The same guy who years ago wanted a left wing version of the Tea Party - which Alan Greyson would be a mover and shaker in - is demanding civility and respect from both sides. How can anyone take Mr. Politically Incorrect And Proud Of It with that?

• Like 6

Bill isn't a good interviewer. That's how it is. He seemed more interested to give himself bizarre credit for Conway being Trump's campaign manager than anything else. That said, in the interview, I don't know that he let her off the hook *that* much. There were parts where she just steamrolled over him, which has been the m/o of anyone representing the Trump campaign. 

From the interview, I don't think Gary Johnson is taking votes away from Clinton though, is he? 

I liked now Reed was like, "Clinton is going to make public health care," and everyone clapped!

I honestly don't really know what anyone on the panel is saying. There's just blathering. 

Washington shouldn't have said "no offense" when talking about the media's fault. She's quite correct in her assertion. People don't have time to "do the research", Bill, and kind of count on the media to report on actual issues. And they're just not doing that. 

I was surprised that Reed supported Kap's right to protest, and I really am 150% behind Bill "it seems like the only right can define what patriotism is, and if you don't do that, you're wrong or unamerican." I don't like the big celebration of militarism in sports at all too. Playing the anthem at sporting events is dumb.  

I kind of take Bill's point about civility, but I don't think he really captured the fundamental problem. Who was saying "We are going to make Obama a one term president"? "We are the party of no?" Who formed a "party" whose goal is to just obstruct? 

Edited by ganesh
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

I'm not going to put it on Bill because he's an entertainer, but you're right. The media has been allowing this and just not doing their jobs.

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

Bill isn't a good interviewer. That's how it is. He seemed more interested to give himself bizarre credit for Conway being Trump's campaign manager than anything else. That said, in the interview, I don't know that he let her off the hook *that* much. There were parts where she just steamrolled over him, which has been the m/o of anyone representing the Trump campaign.

I think you've nailed the two most important points here. Topical comedians can play an important role in the discussion and debate of news and issues, but they aren't journalists and shouldn't be evaluated on the same criteria. And Bill can be a good interviewer if he is interested in a subject, but not too invested and it the interviewee is someone he knows well or respects, but doesn't admire too much. He has a narcissistic streak (if you haven't noticed) and tends to make it all about him so we often either get either dismissive contempt or hero worship and lots of focus on some minor point that affects him personally. I think he did point out that her bullshit was bullshit pretty consistently. I think we also forget sometimes that while late night hosts can use their freedom to point out facts or ask harsh questions that journalists trapped by false objectivity or civility don't it's not their job to insist on answers. We may all remember "roll 212" or Dave asking Rush if he realized he was full of gas, but they gave plenty of forgettable interviews to well coached political figures trying to create watchable television instead of getting the truth.

• Like 1

Was very disappointed in the show. Thought with everything that happened during the hiatus, Bill would come in blazing to rant. Instead, he let Kellyanne control the interview and get away with EVERYthing Trumpie does, he let Reed control the panel (and overtime). Gopnik, like Rob Reiner over the summer, seemed to just give up in the face of loud n' crazy. Washington ended up the most compelling participant. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, amsel said:

She's good if you play her game. If you allow her to filibuster, she will give you multiple paragraphs of non answers. If you interrupt her, if you ask follow up questions, and if you give her something she isn't prepared for, she struggles. The other day, when someone on CNN asked her if Trump will release the audit letter from the IRS (proving that he's actually under audit), she suddenly asked the interviewer to repeat the question (as if she didn't hear it correctly, but she did), which then gave her a few extra seconds to formulate an answer. 

She is very good at her game.  And I didn't realize her history with Bill.  No wonder he treated her like he treats Ann Coulter.  And Kellyanne is actually better at this.  In the CNN exchange you mentioned, she said "excuse me?" as if she hadn't heard the question correctly, then when it was repeated, she said, "are you calling Mr Trump a liar?"

5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Maybe she will someday.  It would make GOP heads explode.  Besides, President Washington has a nice ring to it!

Edited by SierraMist
  • Like 3

On OT, Reed was so full of it. It didn't matter what Clinton could or should have done. The fact that her health is an issue is sexism. If it was Trump, then it would be "he's so tough he kept going until he collapsed!"

• Like 3

I agreed with Bill on overtime about the pneumonia thing, it never even occurred to me she was supposed to immediately tell the public. I mean, I don't think it's that big a deal, is it? If she had to have surgery or something, or if it was some chronic illness she was diagnosed with, then yeah, but if she has something that can be treated and gotten over within a week or so, then I just don't necessarily think it's THAT big a deal. And I would say the same thing about Trump (although how much do you want to bet he IS hiding stuff in his medical records that we'll never know? That man does not look healthy).

• Like 4

Bill said she probably figured she'd get over it before having to say anything about it. Which is what basically everyone does. What are you supposed to do? Daily press releases summarizing her sniffles?

As they were saying on the show, it was at the 9/11 ceremony. Can you imagine if she actually missed it because she was sick?

• Like 6

Reed's apoplexy about single-payer amused me, just on the basis that he seemed surprised to have any pushback on his implication that it is a reviled notion. Not at my house, it's not! Also, I used to work in healthcare in the days just after the Hyde Amendment, and I can't tell you how often I had to tell poor women that their Medicaid wouldn't pay for an abortion, and watch their eyes fill with confusion, powerlessness, and terror. His assertion that it is bipartisan-beloved legislation is codswallop. Dems were just chickenshit, and now they're not anymore.

• Like 9

I was surprised that Reed supported Kap's right to protest, and I really am 150% behind Bill "it seems like the only right can define what patriotism is, and if you don't do that, you're wrong or unamerican." I don't like the big celebration of militarism in sports at all too. Playing the anthem at sporting events is dumb. 

I'm not troubled by Kap's protest, and he's been pretty clear about explaining his reasons, which make sense to me. I also agree that there's something suspect in linking sports and patriotism. But I don't quite get the "right" part since no one is questioning that the government can't do anything to stop him. But why can't his private employer if that private employer chose to do so? He presumably has a contract that outlines how and when he can be fired or reprimanded for any number of reasons. Some high-paid sports figures are forbidden from doing ordinary things that their employers deem excessively risky (through injury) to their performance  - like motor cycle riding. His job is not merely to win games, but to entertain and bring in crowds and viewers. If his actions (however righteous) detract from that, can't his employer do something about that? How that would "help" of course is far from clear, but doesn't the employer get to choose, at least within some bounds? It's not like he's joining a march in his spare time and separating his political actions from his work. He's protesting on the job and using his position to broadcast (literally) his views.

Ryan Lochne was essentially fired by several sponsors for his asswholery, which wasn't even connected to his job if you define his job as "swimmer." Now of course Kap's protest is political speech and not the ignominious behavior of an 32 year-old Bro, but who gets to decide what behavior deserves punishment or protection?  If some obnoxious actor at an award show starting spouting off about a political point (been known to happen), the presenters are certainly at liberty to cut that person off and not invite him/her next year. No one questions that. Actors get fired all the time doing offensive things even if their acting skills are impeccable. Why should that be any different from sports figures? Maybe I'm missing something since no one seems to have brought this up.

This POV is likely overbroad & beyond the scope of this episode:

I'm starting to, finally, lose sight of the utility of shows such as this, hell, even political talking head shows on CNN, msnbc, etc.  There's no real give & take anymore.  It's like Bill was making a meta observation about his own show when he was talking about the lack of civility in politics.  It's all hardline stances, talking points & sheer ignoring of another POV (all sides do this, not just the lunatic fringe of whatever side you oppose).

Ralph Reed won't be swayed by anything other than a vision from The Almighty; Kellyanne Conway (and frankly, pretty much all political operatives) only deliver messages for the benefit of whoever is paying them at the time; liberal panelists gleefully attack idiots like Trump, but fail to acknowledge how fucking ineffectual they themselves are at actually winning Congress back to get shit done.  It's like anyone who truly is a centrist/moderate, is forced to choose between two (almost-) equally terrible choices in an argument.

Anyway, the show tonight, for some reason, drive that point home more to me, even though in all honesty, there was nothing atypical about the proceedings.  Guess I've reached the breaking point.  True open, public political discourse simply is no longer a realistic endeavor.  If I watch shows like this anymore, it'll have to be based on wanting to hear specific guests for any number of inane reasons not related to substantive political views.  YMMV, obviously.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, ahpny said:

But I don't quite get the "right" part since no one is questioning that the government can't do anything to stop him.

That's not quite what the issue is. No one is saying Kap should be arrested. They are saying he should leave the country. The response has overwhelmingly been old white dudes saying "Yes, Kap has the right to protest, but "he's doing it in the wrong way", and "this is how he should do it because the flag means this and only this, so if you don't do this, then you're doing it wrong. But yeah, he can protest. If it's in the way I think he should." "Also, he makes millions of dollars and really isn't an African-American." The issue isn't just with a football player, since one of the women's national soccer team players is doing it too. An opposing club team said that they didn't like her "hijacking the national anthem". During the week of 9/11. And then the same white dudes told her that they knew more about her experiences growing up as a gay woman in America than she did. 

Bill was correct in his point, but should have elaborated. Maybe he thought people knew enough about the topic. I thought he should have dedicated more time to it. 

10 hours ago, ganesh said:

Yep.  The media helped create the Trump monster, now they need to take him down.  I'm seeing more actual criticism where before it was "Look at what he's saying now!" without any follow-up.  I fear it may be too late though.

Conway is so good at her job, it's a shame she's on the wrong side.  It's scary to watch her -- she can't believe what she's spewing.  Vile.

Margaret Hoover -- I had a hard time understanding her -- gal needs to enunciate.

Kerri Washington -- I'd vote for her.  Thoughtful, precise, entertaining.

• Like 3

Reed's apoplexy about single-payer amused me, just on the basis that he seemed surprised to have any pushback on his implication that it is a reviled notion.

What's really astounding is the disconnect he demonstrated by saying that while he is not defending the Epi-pen price gouging, he still believes "the markets" should determine health care costs. So, either he doesn't understand that's the exact same thing, or else he's just being willfully disingenuous. 

• Like 5

I think KW majored in political science at George Washington University.

I think that Kamala Harris woman, Attorney General of CA, might be the first. I can see her on a ticket, and I think that's where she's headed if not trying to get a Supreme Court appointment.  She's running for that senate seat. It would be great because she's black and Asian, I believe her mother is Indian and her father is black. Something tells me she might be on the rise.

Edited by represent

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

My former neighbor has been a lawyer in the SF bay area for decades and has basically said the same for years about Harris. 

Really? Interesting, because I've only been just introduced to her via this election season. I don't live in CA, so I really don't follow their politics. It's just that she's gotten coverage in terms of down ballot races during this election season, and I took notice.  Chris Hayes over at MSNBC interviewed her to some extent and that's when I thought that democrats might really have something here. 

Edited by represent

I don't know how someone who works for Trump can say, with a straight face, 'I can't support someone who lies for a living' and be talking about Clinton.  Do they really believe that or are they just that good at lying?  And when Bill asked a question and instead of answering, she would immediately start on Clinton, that's when you break in and remind them to answer the question asked, not to automatically veer into bashing the opponent.  I wish people asking questions would hold their feet to the fire.  If you can't do that, then you are part of the problem.

• Like 6

I know this wasn't on the show, but it is directly relevant to the Conway interview that was on the show:

25 minutes ago, sadiegirl said:

And when Bill asked a question and instead of answering, she would immediately start on Clinton, that's when you break in and remind them to answer the question asked, not to automatically veer into bashing the opponent. 

Bill has been a consistently poor interviewer, so I can't really pile on him. He's not a journalist either. However, Conway was on Face The Nation, and the interviewer did actually hold her to task when he asked about Trump's 5 year campaign to prove Obama was born in Kenya. She kept doing exactly what she was doing to Bill, but he kept pressing her. It got to the point where she ended up saying, "You'll just have to ask Trump that." And he still took her to task over it, "Well, he was the leader of the this birther movement for 5 years so I thought it was a relevant topic."

One thing I did like was when Conway said, "You have to respect the voters," and Bill said, "No, actually I don't." I don't either. Why should I?

• Like 4

I don't know how someone who works for Trump can say, with a straight face, 'I can't support someone who lies for a living' and be talking about Clinton.  Do they really believe that or are they just that good at lying?  And when Bill asked a question and instead of answering, she would immediately start on Clinton, that's when you break in and remind them to answer the question asked, not to automatically veer into bashing the opponent.  I wish people asking questions would hold their feet to the fire.  If you can't do that, then you are part of the problem.

I realize Bill is not a "journalist" so I don't necessarily hold him to the same standard as I would another interviewer. However, he certainly knows obfuscation when he sees it. He stopped Ralph Reed when he said the US lets "millions" of refugees into the country and pointed out the statistic was bullshit. He could have done the same with Kellyanne - and to give him credit, he did stop her a few times to make valid points. But it irks me to no end when he lets her get away with crap talking points about Clinton because - once again - it's as though the Democrats have conceded the narrative to the Republicans. They're not really refuting anything people like Conway say about Clinton. They're just arguing Trump is worse, and it drives me nuts.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Taking that in, I almost tend to think that Bill shouldn't be giving people like Conway the additional platform.

But they're his FRIENDS! and they're being "So BRAAAAVE!" for coming onto his show! I really wish he'd stop with that tongue bathing--as if the viewers should give these trolls credit for coming on his show to spew their lies, bigotry, racism, and utter cluelessness.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, sadiegirl said:

I don't know how someone who works for Trump can say, with a straight face, 'I can't support someone who lies for a living' and be talking about Clinton.  Do they really believe that or are they just that good at lying? 

They are being paid very well by Robert Mercer via the Trump campaign (they being operative for Kellyanne Conway, Steve Bannon and David Bossie).  It really really sucks that Kellyanne Conway is so good at her job, and I don't necessarily mean her appearances as a surrogate for Trump, but actually driving Trump's message.  You can literally hear her words coming out of his mouth when he doesn't stray off the teleprompter and the polls tell us that it's working.

Kerry was great, but I'm really starting to think that it's not enough.  I'm terrified.

• Like 2

I had to chuckle when they were talking about Nixon, and how Trump wouldn't be as bad as Nixon, only second worst and Bill said, ooo, the second worst president, what a ringing endorsement (or something along those lines).

Sickening. Bill gives Kellyanne Conway free air time and then doesn't push back when she dodges every question. I'm not watching this show to see a Trump campaign ad. If it's going to be just Bill giving his "friends" a pass, I'm done.

• Like 4

That was depressing.  Maher shouldn't have given a platform to that evil witch who is currently whoring for Trump.  And  force us to listen to that vapid right wing ken doll blathering on about the evils of the public option.

Urgh. My fear that we are soon going to be forced to chant Heil! Trump is putting a crimp into my enjoyment of this show.  I  would laugh about so many Americans being bamboozled by Trump if it wasn't all as serious as a heart attack.

• Like 3

And  force us to listen to that vapid right wing ken doll blathering on about the evils of the public option.

He did blather, but he didn't say why it's evil, just that it is. I suspect because it would give healthcare to many he deems unworthy, and he is the arbiter of such things, after all. His god told him so. Like many here have said, I wish Bill would stop giving a public platform to such nasty people.

Kerry Washington was easily the highlight of the episode. She was passionate in giving her opinions, but not aggressive or off-putting about it. And I'm not going to say anything about pregnant women 'glowing', but she did kind of glow. She looked fabulous.

• Like 3

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 1:24 PM, sadiegirl said:

And when Bill asked a question and instead of answering, she would immediately start on Clinton, that's when you break in and remind them to answer the question asked, not to automatically veer into bashing the opponent.  I wish people asking questions would hold their feet to the fire.  If you can't do that, then you are part of the problem.

From your mouth to Lester Holt's ears.

• Like 3