Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E04: Time to Push

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

I wasn't impressed with the makeovers.  This seems very early for makeovers and I don't match the names to the faces yet, so I didn't really care what they did.  Kelli showed no personality when talking to Kelsi about her hair.  (Yes, broom).  Marshall seems really nice though.  

Disappointed that we haven't seen much of Madeline dancing yet either, and she wasn't at Jay's workout session! I guess you have to sign up for it through CMT.  Melissa pointed out she enjoyed watching Madeline dance in the group, but we didn't get to see it.  

If I was a TCC needing help, I would want to get dance technique lessons from one of the vets, not a talk from Melissa.  When you dance next to a vet and see it on video, I am sure that does help, because you can see the extra oomph the vets put into the moves.   Take your phones to an extra practice session and record yourself!  

Kyndall is beautiful.  

Jackie's personality is flat!  I will go back & see if I can see her dancing. 

Enjoyed seeing Holly & Allie's clip.  Holly is very sweet & supportive to everyone.  I remember when she first made the team, there was a clip posted of her trying to teach Lacey & another girl one of her signature moves from her solo.  Lacey kept trying & trying.  Teams become stronger when new talent is added, and when you add a powerhouse like Holly, I think it raises the bar for the rest of the team.  Everyone becomes a little better to make a stronger team.  I hope DCC continues to develop their dances, because some of their moves look lame.  

In regard to Amy,  after seeing her non performance so far, I think they are like, lets give her a shot after 5 years, and let her hone her skills and have the experience of training camp.  

Judy was hilarious at the end!  Kelli needed to be rescued but Judy was not going to say anything to help her out.  

Edited by Jazzmom
  • Love 5

The whole interaction between Kelli and Melissa on the phone was so obviously fake it was painful.

Melissa is a hot mess.  I have two little kids too so I give her a mom pass, but don't come on tv looking like you just rolled out of bed and put some red lipstick on. 

Kelli says the same thing at the salon year after year.  "We just dig through their hair and etc. etc.".

Jackie and Bethenny are so blah.  Please cut them now to put us and them out of their misery. 

I thought the scene between Kelli and Judy was great when Whitney left the office.  You can tell the two women are like sisters at this point. 

Michelle Keys is hot.  Love her.

Jenn K looks a lot bigger.  Sorry, but she is definitely not small. 

I can't like Cersten after multiple reliable sources has said she is a mean girl.  I just can't with mean girls.

• Love 1

Why did they redo Milan's hair after her makeover? I loved the way it looked at the salon, the harsh lights of the studio don't make it look very nice though.

1 hour ago, cherryblossom said:

She has a uniform hanging there all the time.  I believe it is for ambience!

On another note, my students would tell me (college) they worked soooo hard.  So I would say well, if this is your best, this is good as you are going to get!  That was eye opening to them to realize that their grade or whatever was not going to get any better unless they committed to some more work.  They would say they have sacrificed everything so once again, I would say you then have nothing more to sacrifice leaving their grade to be what it is.  So many kids that age believe they are giving their all and are surprised when life might be better organized, more effort in the right direction that they do get better results.  I remember in the past that TCC have videotaped vets etc but don't see any of that.

Didn't that start when Hannah lost hers for Show Group? I don't recall one there before that. I was wondering if someone was taken out of appearances this time

2 hours ago, GingerJ said:

Kelli did say it was the first time someone talked her out of it, but she has a pretty crappy memory. Kaitlyn . laRae talked her out of it too.

Morgan also seemed to talk her way out of getting cut.

On the first MTT (2005) Kelli was going to cut Deanna H or Melissa R (aka Jersey girl); can't remember which one or could have been both.  It would have been for weight but then she asked the girl if she could lose weight and keep it off.  However in season 1 (2006) both girls were cut at finals for weight. 

Edited by MrsEVH

After watching last nights episode, my love for Holly grew even more! She truly seems humble and I loved her scene with Allie. 

Cersten, I'm not a fan. I didn't like her clip about her audition process. It's almost like she tried out because DCC is top notch and not because she wanted to be DCC, if that makes sense

• Love 4
2 hours ago, PrincessLeia said:

All I'm saying is I used to go to multiple salons in Dallas- they weren't skilled at cutting Asian hair, and the Asian girls I knew went to stylists that were. Obviously Tangerine is not. My point was simply that it's not shocking they were Gaga over her hair! ?

Sorry, I didn't mean for my previous post to sound argumentative! I should have elaborated that I live in California (currently the Bay Area but previous to that I lived in LA and San Diego, all of which have sizable Asian populations) so most salons are at the very least competent/experienced at cutting Asian hair, from cheapie places like Supercuts (especially the ones near college campuses) to high end salons. It's pretty important to be able to deal with a variety of hair types out here if you want to stay in business! I just found it both surprising/sad/hilarious that they were treating Yuko's hair like some kind of unicorn mane. There are definitely plenty of bleached blondes with extensions out here too, but you can't go very far without seeing other types of hair too. Hee, I noticed that they didn't show a before/after shot for Yuko. Their makeover plan for her was probably along the lines of "Uh, your soft shiny hair is great so we'll just give you a conditioning treatment and then you can be on your way!" ?

• Love 3
1 minute ago, dccfan37 said:

Cersten, I'm not a fan. I didn't like her clip about her audition process. It's almost like she tried out because DCC is top notch and not because she wanted to be DCC, if that makes sense

Yes, exactly. It kind of gave me a distaste for her. She sort of was like "I only tried out because I needed something to do until I go to medical school."

Okay, so I finished the episode. Loveee that we got to see Michelle choreograph the Hand Clap dance. It looks confusing with all those people in one tiny studio but it's awesome out on the field.

26 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

Yes, exactly. It kind of gave me a distaste for her. She sort of was like "I only tried out because I needed something to do until I go to medical school."

My reaction to her talking head about med school was more along the lines of "Oh, so your MCAT scores weren't good enough so you need a year to study, retake it, and then deal with med school applications?" but that's partly because I have encountered a lot of people who have plans for med school until that pesky MCAT ruins their plans!

• Love 13

Michelle was never featured that much on MTT.  She was only a DCC for 3  years and is in the exact same spot (back row) on the 2008 and 2009 squad pictures. She got moved to the 4th row by 2010.

Edited by MrsEVH
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, MrsEVH said:

Michelle was never featured that much on MTT.  She was only a DCC for 3  years and is in the exact same spot (back row) on the 2008 and 2009 squad pictures. She got moved to the 4th row by 2010.

She looked SO different back then, with the long dark hair...actually, she kind of reminds me of Kaime in some of those squad photos! 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, heatherrrrz said:

Yep.  And how about how she called herself "a student athlete" for being on the LSU dance team?  Almost all colleges who's dance programs I've researched/heard about consider their dance teams part of the spirit organization (like the cheerleaders and band) and they aren't actual "NCAA student atheltes" - as say the basketball, football and track teams are.   Does LSU do this differently, or was she just over-embellishing?

2 minutes ago, MyFavShows said:

Yep.  And how about how she called herself "a student athlete" for being on the LSU dance team?  Almost all colleges who's dance programs I've researched/heard about consider their dance teams part of the spirit organization (like the cheerleaders and band) and they aren't actual "NCAA student atheltes" - as say the basketball, football and track teams are.   Does LSU do this differently, or was she just over-embellishing?

Not sure, I was just googling the LSU tiger girls to get a sense of what they would be and came across Cersten's last name and found her and the group she was working with had their research published.

Am I the only one who doesn't think Whitney is pretty? Plus I hate that her natural hair doesn't blend in with her weave. 

The makeovers didn't stand out to me. I forced my husband to watch (even though his Jets were playing at that time) and he thought every girl looked the same after their makeovers.

For some reason, no rookie is standing out to me except the brown haired girl whose name I can't remember. She has no upper lip (that's what I remember from her talking heads), but she gets compliments every week so far.

Edited- When Kelli was introducing Melissa, I thought "yay, Jacie is coming to practice" because of her description. Then I saw Melissa and was like "oh."

Edited by bk10
added a thought
  • Love 6
38 minutes ago, MyFavShows said:

Yes and no. They are part of the spirit organizations and they are NCAA student athletes. Because cheer and dance are not championship sports (like football and basketball) they are handled differently. They still have to follow rules, get NCAA insurance, etc. they get drug tested and have physicals. Larger schools usually recognize them as student athletes (getting early registration & honored at athletic events) so I wouldn't say it was a stretch for her to say that. I don't believe band is recognized because they fall under the music department. 

LSU has 2 dance teams. The tiger girls (Cersten & Erica) are mainly Hip hop and dance at basketball and baseball. The Golden girls (Tess & Jax) are more technically trained ballet style dancers and they dance with the band during football games.

Edited by grabalifevest

Tasha has the most jacked up teeth -- she should sue her orthodontist.  He shoved them all to the front -- it's creppy when she smiles.

And why is Kelli such a total bitch to Kelsey?  At the salon, when Kelli says her hair looks like a broom, Kelsey giggles and says "A broom?" and Kelli responds with "Yeah, a broom" while giving her this look that says "you heard me, bitch."

Marshall needs to go on that show Botched and get his plastic surgery corrected.  Ugh.  Freak show!

• Love 4

Stop your video and look at the list on the desk in Kelli's office.  She has Kelsey's name highlighted and you can see someone who is nameless also highlighted on the bottom.  You can see how the girls apparently were listed in order of votes etc from judges.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Smplsimon said:

And why is Kelli such a total bitch to Kelsey?  At the salon, when Kelli says her hair looks like a broom, Kelsey giggles and says "A broom?" and Kelli responds with "Yeah, a broom" while giving her this look that says "you heard me, bitch."

Omg I am laughing so hard. I noticed that too and was like dayum she is being a total bitch to Kelsey.  What I like about Kelsey is that she just shakes that crap off.  It's almost like Kelli is Jekyl and Hyde with her and trying to get her to crack. Stay strong girl ?

• Love 10

I think Whitney was trying to come across confident, charming and persuasive, but it just fell flat.  It was a weird exchange, but when we're trying to keep it together while our heart is breaking, things don't always come out great.  I felt bad for her, but she strikes me as a lovely young woman.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, mcmrdh said:

Omg I am laughing so hard. I noticed that too and was like dayum she is being a total bitch to Kelsey.  What I like about Kelsey is that she just shakes that crap off.  It's almost like Kelli is Jekyl and Hyde with her and trying to get her to crack. Stay strong girl ?

AGREED.  What the heck is this coldness Kelli has toward Kelsey?? I was thinking I was being oversensitive, so i'm glad some others picked up on it too :-P Chill, Kelli - if i were Kelsey I would have been like WTF too! 

• Love 8
Just now, LaurenBrook said:

AGREED.  What the heck is this coldness Kelli has toward Kelsey?? I was thinking I was being oversensitive, so i'm glad some others picked up on it too :-P Chill, Kelli - if i were Kelsey I would have been like WTF too! 

The broom comment was ridiculous. Kelsey was like "A broom?" and laughing it off and Kelli was super serious. It annoyed me.

I think Kelli just doesn't like blue eye pale skinned brunettes - she had the same kind of unexplained hate towards Ashley Paige (who had a similar look).   Maybe every other judge have Kelsey the highest scores possible, besides for Kelli, and Kelli is angry cause she has to have her in TC cause the judges have commanded it - kind of like the fan vote situation and how she was mean to Colby, but w/ the judges.

• Love 5

I must be in the minority because the call between Melissa and Kelli didn't bother me in the slightest (other than that I agree with others here that it was very staged).  Of course Kelli would want other opinions on the borderline rookies and Melissa didn't exactly tell Kelli any big secrets about the vanilla dancing that Kelli didn't already know.  I think it's a good lesson in life to be very careful what you say to anyone in the workplace because it is safe to assume anything and everything you say and do at work will make it back to the boss.  

I agree that the makeover part was way too short.  I couldn't even tell what they did to Kelsey.  Also, was Madeline even there for the makeovers?  If yes, does anyone know what they did to her hair, if anything?

The Whitney cut was definitely awkward.  I don't know why Kelli does that thing where she turns to Judy looking for help since she already knows that TCC is a goner before the meeting even starts.  That's happened at least once before in a prior season (I don't remember who was cut or which season) and Judy told Kelli off a bit when it happened that time as well.

Edited by patches403
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, patches403 said:

I must be in the minority because the call between Melissa and Kelli didn't bother me in the slightest (other than that I agree with others here that it felt very staged).  Of course Kelli would want other opinions on the borderline rookies and Melissa didn't exactly tell Kelli any big secrets about the vanilla dancing that Kelli didn't already know.  I think it's a good lesson in life to be very careful what you say to anyone in the workplace because it is safe to assume anything and everything you say and do at work will make it back to the boss.  

I agree that the makeover part was way too short.  I couldn't even tell what they did to Kelsey.  Also, was Madeline even there for the makeovers?  If yes, does anyone know what they did to her hair, if anything?

All I saw of Madeline was them curling her hair. I feel like they lightened it? Honestly, I don't think half of the rookies were even there. If they were, CMT didn't show it. I get wanting to put more of the dance in the episode, we like that but we also love seeing makeovers.

I wonder if a number of the girls went to the salon before camp even started.  i've heard that if you do that they are less likely to make any real changes on makeover day because they already 'fixed' you.  

It was cool to see Tobie for a moment :) 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I don't care how hard you work. All I care about is the end result.

This!!!!!  Truer words have NEVER been spoken and is so applicable to a competitive sport (which this is).  Off thread example: that was Meagan Flaherty’s problem too. He reasoning to be on the squad was how hard she worked. That doesn’t matter if you don’t improve. 

• Love 4

A former DCC was helping with makeovers and no mention of her. Michelle Key rocked it. Bring her back again please. I chuckle at Kelli's and her Melissa was a great DCC. Really... She was vanilla and a blender during her two years on the team. She quit because she wanted to spend time with her boyfriend, came back because she broke up with her boyfriend, went on the a national reality show after breaking up again with her current boyfriend, got dumped on television again by another guy, and ends up winning a reality dance contest after coming back a second time by beating out a bunch of D celebrities. Yes, this screams a talented, great DCC to me. And no, I have nothing against Melissa, I just do not care for DCC:MTT Melissa the Mentor.

Allie and Holly are cute. The one Heather called out by Kelli and Melissa is cute and a decent dancer. Does she need to work on it? Yes, but I do see a DCC in her. The scene with Kelli, Judy, and Whitney was painful. Talk about heavy duty editing to make Whitney look bad and Kelli and Judy right. The makeovers were okay, but the girls still look too much alike. What happen to originality Kelli and Judy always talk about.

8 hours ago, Pinknblue said:

I can't see Jackie making it much further. Her face doesn't read well for me, is it a confidence issue where she's holding back? 

Why didn’t they just tell her she doesn’t look like she is having any fun when dancing? Same with Whitney when she was cut.  I think K&J need to explain what they mean by performers/entertainers.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Ms. SW said:

Did I hear Jay say they had to be able to dance 4 hours in 100 degree heat???? If that's what I heard, that was back at the old Texas Stadium. ATT is climate controlled, and Jerry rarely ever opens the roof. Not sure about the doors. Been there for high school games and it is VERY comfortable inside. But yes, the girls looked quite winded so they did need to up the endurance game.

God, I’m posting a lot.  I’ll stop (I’ll try).

Ms. SW - You are right BUT, Jay wasn’t all that off in terms of stamina.  The girls made an appearance recently on Good Morning Dallas or something and 5-year vet Jessica described game day for them. It starts 6 HOURS before kick off!!!!  An hour rehearsal, outside stadium performances (what are they called), pre-kickoff performance then the game.  She said they are pretty tired before the game even starts.  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, heatherrrrz said:

Not sure, I was just googling the LSU tiger girls to get a sense of what they would be and came across Cersten's last name and found her and the group she was working with had their research published.

I work in a university research lab so that's not as impressive to me (at least not without more details) because anyone can volunteer to become an undergrad research assistant (my school even has a special canpuswide program to help match students to labs), and every lab should be publishing several scientific articles per year. Whose names are included in the manuscript depends on the PI. Some are very generous and list everyone who worked on the project as an author, including the undergrads. I had one boss who did this and every single undergrad who helped on a project got an author credit. Other PIs are very strict about who is listed as an author. One colleague told me that his boss would only list the PhDs as authors (which is especially shitty for the graduate students). It also varies widely as to what undergrads are allowed to do. In some labs, they're essentially given scut work (cleaning petri dishes) while in others they help run experiments with the grad students and post docs. My former boss even allowed our undergrad volunteers to run their own experiments and do research projects independently (which resulted in our undergrads being first or second author on manuscripts in very prestigious scientific journals before they applied to grad school). But as you can see, it really varies so hearing that Cersten's lab published something isn't all that impressive to me without more details. It could just mean that she volunteers in a lab 1-2 hours per week and has no hand in the actual research that the grad students and post docs do. On the other end of the spectrum, maybe she did her own groundbreaking research. But I never assume it's one or the other. 

ETA: a quick google turned up one article on ResearchGate published in May where Cersten is the second author out of four. The first author is a sixth year grad student, the third author is an undergrad who volunteered in the lab for one summer, and the sponsoring PI is always listed as the last author.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 6

This episode was interesting. It could've started out as "Milan's makeover day"

- I couldn't figure out for the life of me who was the rookie with super curly hair was. I guess it's Tess, but her hair has certainly been tamed down

- "If you're in labor, it's time to push" Um, alright Kelly

- Cersten's story sounded like she was bored and thought DCC would be a neat little hobby. So different compared to it being everyone else's life goal

- Weird, but Jackie's voice irritates me

- Does anyone else think Jessika looks like former vet Jennifer?

- I could barely stand to watch the office scenes. Both girls seemed so flat while expeessing how much of a dream it was to make the team

- Someone tweeted, "If Kelly and Judy ever retire, Melissa Rycroft and Cassie should definitely be their replacements!" I could just picture everyone on here shaking their heads

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, dalgal214 said:

Also, cerstan is from the suburbs. "True dallasites" would roll their eyes when they found out she was from flower mound or Coppell or wherever. If you say you're from the Dallas area, fine. But Dallas no.

Heaven help me, I want to agree with this and argue against it at the same time ?

One because it's not like the Dallas Cowboys have been in Dallas at any point in recent history. Two because anywhere in the main DFW area would still be "Dallas" and Cersten a hometown girl to any viewers outside of our area, you know? 

But you're also so right!! I've lived in Fort Worth, Addison, Dallas, Richardson, and Plano over my 20 years here and it's totally okay to own being from a suburb. No matter what the tragic Dallas Real Housewives say #littleplanoinhere ?

Edited by kalibean
Edited to add that Cersten seems like a snot. I love strong, smart women, but she manages to rub me the wrong way.
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Sorry, I didn't mean for my previous post to sound argumentative! I should have elaborated that I live in California (currently the Bay Area but previous to that I lived in LA and San Diego, all of which have sizable Asian populations) so most salons are at the very least competent/experienced at cutting Asian hair, from cheapie places like Supercuts (especially the ones near college campuses) to high end salons. It's pretty important to be able to deal with a variety of hair types out here if you want to stay in business! I just found it both surprising/sad/hilarious that they were treating Yuko's hair like some kind of unicorn mane. There are definitely plenty of bleached blondes with extensions out here too, but you can't go very far without seeing other types of hair too. Hee, I noticed that they didn't show a before/after shot for Yuko. Their makeover plan for her was probably along the lines of "Uh, your soft shiny hair is great so we'll just give you a conditioning treatment and then you can be on your way!" ?

LOL!!! No worries girl!!! Your post makes perfect sense given that you live in Cali! Dallas isn't very diverse in certain areas..... Unfortunately.

6 hours ago, patches403 said:

The Whitney cut was definitely awkward.  I don't know why Kelli does that thing where she turns to Judy looking for help since she already knows that TCC is a goner before the meeting even starts.  That's happened at least once before in a prior season (I don't remember who was cut or which season) and Judy told Kelli off a bit when it happened that time as well.

That was last year with the Kathryn Dunn cut. Kelli turned to Judy and said, "I'll put you on the spot," and Judy nearly crapped herself.

Kelli is an extreme extrovert, thinking and blurting based on instinct. Sometimes she forgets that Judy is humiliated by that.

Whitney's cut might have been a bad edit, but it seemed like K&J thought that she was telling them they needed her for diversity reasons.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

My reaction to her talking head about med school was more along the lines of "Oh, so your MCAT scores weren't good enough so you need a year to study, retake it, and then deal with med school applications?" but that's partly because I have encountered a lot of people who have plans for med school until that pesky MCAT ruins their plans!

She also has a job. I know when my husband was interviewing for med school in the late 90s a lot of them were starting to favor applicants who had done something after graduation rather than coming straight from undergrad. He took his MCATs before he graduated (and killed it) then did clinical research for a year. It makes you a more well rounded student, and just from what I saw in his class the people who came straight from undergrad were kind of basketcases with no lives outside of class. Having a fun little fact like "I was a DCC" can make her stand out among the thousands of applicants.

I noticed this episode that Emily clenches her teeth when she talks. I can't tell if it's something she tries to do to make herself smile or something or if she has an actual jaw issue.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, huahaha said:

Whitney's cut might have been a bad edit, but it seemed like K&J thought that she was telling them they needed her for diversity reasons.

Did anyone else get that?

Also, did anyone notice when Lindsey was in Kelli’s office there is was a divider of files behind her, the first file read KELLI’S BLOGS.  Does anyone know about these blogs?  I know she had her own website for a while but she never really posted much.

And lastly, I cannot believe how few TCC attended Jay’s Power Squad.  Back in the day, wasn’t it mandatory for the entire squad, veterans included, to attend...Dalgal14?

• Love 1