Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E03: Week 2: The Results

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, McManda said:

I miiiight be willing to allow Emma as a returning proc other than she's along the newer permanent pros and isn't always a guarantee as a pro. Cheryl, Maks, and Derek are "the originals" and were always around, so I get why they marketed their return like they did. 

No way Gleb fits in there. One season where he was forgettable at best doesn't make him a returning pro. I still don't get why they asked him back. 

Were any of the three of them originals?  I don't think so.  I could have done without any of them returning.  Of the three, Cheryl is the least annoying.  Golden Boy and smarmy Maks can leave again.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, smiley13 said:

Were any of the three of them originals?  I don't think so.  I could have done without any of them returning.  Of the three, Cheryl is the least annoying.  Golden Boy and smarmy Maks can leave again.

Both Cheryl and Maks joined it in season 2. Derek "waited" till season 5.

It's been a while seen I've seen DWTS. The show still had the old band with Mr. Wheeler directing. The show still started with the old theme song. A few things I don't like:

1. I don't like when the couples are dancing and the DWTS dancers are dancing also. Like the couple who danced to The Walking Dead theme song, the other dancers got in the way.

2. Bring the old theme song back!

3. Four judges? The show could do without the Julianne Hough.

4. Only three judges give their critiques? Len Goodman should always be allowed to say something. He is the main judge and one that every couple wants to hear from.

5. The little person is going to be judged differently with a slight "curve".

6. Laurie Hernandez is clearly the best dancer and should win.

7. I'll be rooting for Lochte.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Thadeeeyus said:

Missing Mark, though

I'm missing Mark pretty badly, too. Especially when themes like TV night are right up his alley. 

And it didn't help that there were, for me, at least several reminders of Mark on Monday night...Jake and Jenna's cha cha (Mark and Alexa's jungle-salsa), James and Sharna's Paso (Mark and Sadie's zombie paso), and the spins and cartwheel from Laurie and Val's jive (like in Mark and Paige's jive).

17 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

And this is why they don't do results shows anymore. But this season they have to, right? Because the schedule is getting all kinds of messed with the debates. I didn't even watch this, I just looked online to see who was kicked off. I don't need to see the backstage footage of the dances.

I'm only sad Jake got kicked off because it means we have another dance with Rick.

Not gonna lie, my jaw dropped when he was announced as safe! Texas must love him a whole LOT to vote for him so much that he stays and is safe even with the lowest scores. He must be a hell of a governor (hey, Texas..wanna trade?)

1 minute ago, SpikeGal said:

Not gonna lie, my jaw dropped when he was announced as safe! Texas must love him a whole LOT to vote for him so much that he stays and is safe even with the lowest scores. He must be a hell of a governor (hey, Texas..wanna trade?)

Right? Almost everything I saw online and on tv was like Rick Perry will be the first to go! And nope. Not that I care about this Jake kid, I don't even know him? And his dancing was meh, I just worry that rick the lowest score and obviously worst dancer this season might be sticking around now.

Rick Perry has no musicality and is a horrid dancer, but he's trying and he's enthusiastic.  For someone like me, who never heard of him before (I'm Canadian), even though I suspect I would loathe his politics, I see him as a good sport.  Jake, on the other hand -- everything that came out of his mouth (until he thanked Jenna once booted) was uncomfortably narcissistic (yes, he's young) and he did not seem to be giving the thing his best shot.  

Add Jenna vs. Emma to that.  Emma has a long track record of taking non-dancers and making them either palatable or popular.  She's good at it and she's likeable.  

Jenna, on the other hand, is new to a lot of people.  And those to whom she is not new, just watched her either pick an already sexualized young man of 12 or mentor him to be sexualized on SYTYCD.  She always comes across as desperate and inappropriately over-sexualized (that Diego dance AND costume - good lord).  Her desperation on SYTYCD in her own season was palpable.  The only great thing she ever did on it was a dance with Mark Kanemura, where the dance suited desperate attention seekingness.  Her desperation screams through the screen on DWTS when she's in the troupe.  I don't dislike her, but the desperation gives me the creeps (I'm looking at you Keo and Alan).

• Love 10
24 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Right? Almost everything I saw online and on tv was like Rick Perry will be the first to go! And nope. Not that I care about this Jake kid, I don't even know him? And his dancing was meh, I just worry that rick the lowest score and obviously worst dancer this season might be sticking around now.

May I direct your recollections to Bristol Palin?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, crowceilidh said:

Rick Perry has no musicality and is a horrid dancer, but he's trying and he's enthusiastic.  For someone like me, who never heard of him before (I'm Canadian), even though I suspect I would loathe his politics, I see him as a good sport.  

exactly. I would lie if i said "it's not about his politics" but it kinda is. When the cast was announced he was probably the lowest on my list. But i respect a grown man in serious profession not afraid to look like a fool, give something that's ions out of his comfort zone a 100%. Yes he is the worst in terms of actual dance talent, but I'm ok that he stayed, and i'll probably be ok if he outlasts few more people. I'd be pissed if he overstays his welcome like Bristol did, but few more weeks - sure. He, like Ice, has a great energy and seems to be enjoying it. It's easy to enjoy something that you are good at (Laurie), but if you can truly enjoy something you have very little aptitude for... that's a character trait I respond to.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, dustoffmom said:

May I direct your recollections to Bristol Palin?

Yes, I know.. I was thinking this too. It's just..awful. That's what scares me. I fear this will be this the same situation. I guess I can give him that he seems to be having a good time. Bristol didn't look like she was having fun at all during her time on this show, both times. I always wondered why she went back for all star season. She looked miserable during every dance.  I understood dancing wasn't his thing, but she didn't make it fun to watch either. 

7 hours ago, calipiano81 said:

I'm missing Mark pretty badly, too. Especially when themes like TV night are right up his alley. 

And it didn't help that there were, for me, at least several reminders of Mark on Monday night...Jake and Jenna's cha cha (Mark and Alexa's jungle-salsa), James and Sharna's Paso (Mark and Sadie's zombie paso), and the spins and cartwheel from Laurie and Val's jive (like in Mark and Paige's jive).

I miss Mark as well.  Derek is a good choreographer but I've always preferred Mark's routines (good or bad).  Come to think of it, I prefer Mark's dancing as well.  But Derek is better at choreographing, staging and dancing when it comes to making the celeb look good.  Looking back, I never missed Derek last season.  And I haven't missed Maks.  I missed Cheryl a little because I prefer her (and Kym) choreography over the pro ladies that we had last season.

• Love 1

Rick Perry and Lochte are really bad, yikes! Vanilla Ice isn't great, but at least he's entertaining. Perry and Lochte look like trainwrecks. I was pleasantly surprised by Marcia this week, though.

Was it just me or did Val and Laurie look out of sync?

17 hours ago, crowceilidh said:

Rick Perry has no musicality and is a horrid dancer, but he's trying and he's enthusiastic.  For someone like me, who never heard of him before (I'm Canadian), even though I suspect I would loathe his politics, I see him as a good sport.  Jake, on the other hand -- everything that came out of his mouth (until he thanked Jenna once booted) was uncomfortably narcissistic (yes, he's young) and he did not seem to be giving the thing his best shot.  

Add Jenna vs. Emma to that.  Emma has a long track record of taking non-dancers and making them either palatable or popular.  She's good at it and she's likeable.  

Jenna, on the other hand, is new to a lot of people.  And those to whom she is not new, just watched her either pick an already sexualized young man of 12 or mentor him to be sexualized on SYTYCD.  She always comes across as desperate and inappropriately over-sexualized (that Diego dance AND costume - good lord).  Her desperation on SYTYCD in her own season was palpable.  The only great thing she ever did on it was a dance with Mark Kanemura, where the dance suited desperate attention seekingness.  Her desperation screams through the screen on DWTS when she's in the troupe.  I don't dislike her, but the desperation gives me the creeps (I'm looking at you Keo and Alan).

I agree to a lot of this.  I know Rick Perry's politics, despise them, and still am somewhat enjoying him here.  You win a lot of brownie points when you come into this show with a good attitude and are game for anything, even when you know you aren't that talented.  In all the behind the scenes footage even, Rick is out there interacting and having a good time with the rest of his cast mates.   I saw him stop to interact with Jana and her baby.  That goes a long way with people. 

Now if you had asked me pre-season if Jake would be a first boot, I would have said you were crazy.  He was on some crazy popular shows, he has 3 million twitter followers and etc.  However after seeing how much of a tool Jake was the first few weeks, not so much.  Whatever spark Jake had as a child actor is gone and the guy that is there now didn't look like he really wanted to be here.

A lot of the elimination is on Jake.  There were definitely a lot of elements out of Jenna's control.  She also can't control that the general public doesn't really know her.  She has a super hardcore online fanbase of young girls, but 100-200 twitter fans aren't going to do much to sway the voting of the general public.  Also see the fact that she got booted off SYTYCD pretty quickly this past summer.  However I think she did make some mistakes--the biggest being trying to sexify a song for toddlers.  I won't entirely blame her for crotch fringe since somebody in wardrobe should have said no to that, and the song selection was out of her hands I presume, but I get the impression the costume and need to sex up Go Diego Go really rubbed people the wrong way.  That and I think she hasn't totally figured out how to be a pro to someone with absolutely no skills.  In the replays of the dances where you can hear the pros talking to the celebs, she wasn't talking Jake through the dance the way other pros were doing with their celebs.  She was more focused on her own performance and finding the camera, which is fine if you have a Laurie caliber partner, but not if you have a Jake.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, spanana said:

In the replays of the dances where you can hear the pros talking to the celebs, she wasn't talking Jake through the dance the way other pros were doing with their celebs.  She was more focused on her own performance and finding the camera, which is fine if you have a Laurie caliber partner, but not if you have a Jake.

Jenna has never met a camera she didn't want to eyesex with. That's always been my criticism and worry about her as a potential pro on this show. Jenna dances for Jenna. She dances to show herself off and get attention and in professional dancing that's fine because she's the woman and that's her role in a partner dance and her partner can do their own thing and still be strong. I've never seen a Jenna dance and thought "Wow, what connection! What passion! What emotion!" but those pro dances are always strong.

With Jake, though, it was a disaster because she doesn't know how to get her partner through the dance. Even if you're Laurie good, it's week two and I don't expect the celebrity to have enough poise and skill to get through a dance with a partner who is barely aware they are on the dance floor. Jake was never going to be great but Jenna taught him the steps and then left him to fend for himself during the routine.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, buttersister said:

I wouldn't know who he was if I opened the door and he was standing there with a pizza. See you at/after the finale!

And that's where he should be: at doors, delivering pizzas. With Rick Perry standing behind him, in training. Goooo Calvin!

On September 21, 2016 at 10:35 AM, jennifer6973 said:

I may be in the minority, but I love the results show.

I too really enjoy the results show. I have not watched this weeks results show yet, but I think an hour would be sufficient, don't need 2 hours  . I used to like seeing the guest singers and dancers, as well as the pro dancers and behind the scenes stuff. It just seemed silly and rushed the last season ( seasons?) when couples had to dance and then find out at the end that they were actually eliminated.

• Love 1

Another who misses Mark and his fantastic creativity.  Glad Jake was first eliminated.  As for Rick Perry, I've never been a fan, but I was  enjoying him on the show (his work ethic at least and his positivity although he does tend to sound a little politician-fake at times).  BUT.... then I heard him tell us he was "dancing for veterans across the nation".  At first I thought he meant "for a specific veterans' charity." The next time he said it I thought it was pretty clear he was just using veterans to get sympathy votes for his dancing. If I'm wrong someone will tell me. If not, he's even more disgusting than I thought. MONEY for vets is what they need, Rick. Not some b.s.  to get you votes.  If that's all it is, I hope he goes next week. 

22 minutes ago, Padma said:

Another who misses Mark and his fantastic creativity.  Glad Jake was first eliminated.  As for Rick Perry, I've never been a fan, but I was  enjoying him on the show (his work ethic at least and his positivity although he does tend to sound a little politician-fake at times).  BUT.... then I heard him tell us he was "dancing for veterans across the nation".  At first I thought he meant "for a specific veterans' charity." The next time he said it I thought it was pretty clear he was just using veterans to get sympathy votes for his dancing. If I'm wrong someone will tell me. If not, he's even more disgusting than I thought. MONEY for vets is what they need, Rick. Not some b.s.  to get you votes.  If that's all it is, I hope he goes next week. 

I assumed "dancing for Veterans" meant raising funds or he was donating his DWTS pay to a Veterans fund.   It wasn't until I read your post that I questioned my assumption.  

I scrolled through his twitter feed and found this post:  https://www.facebook.com/GovernorPerry/posts/10154464038050409 .  You can read it if you're interested but he says in the post: "I’m glad some people are puzzled by my choice to dance on TV, because it shows I’m willing to step outside of my comfort zone to draw attention to the supreme discomfort so many of our fighting men and women endure when they return home to a nation whose attention has drifted to other things."

In the post he promoted a website for Veterans' "personal stories, education and advocacy".  I can't tell if the website he references is a political (presumably conservative) fundraising site.  There's only two things on the website 1) a signup for a newsletter (giving them your name, email, zip, phone #), and 2) a link to donate money.  There are no stories, no educational writeups and no examples of advocacy.  

Until now, while I disagree completely with Perry's political views, I could separate that and just enjoy his efforts at learning to dance.  Now I'm not sure what to think.

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:49 PM, gohawks said:

Keo is a great dancer. Sexy and easy on the eyes...when he is with another pro. No shame in being part of the troupe.

I still wonder whether he was asked to go back to the troupe or asked for that demotion himself?  He didn't really look happy to be back in the troupe.  If he asked for it, then the bad press he got from his time with Jodie last season really must've gotten to him.

Anyway, while I'm not surprised to see Jake go first, I'm only a bit disappointed because it means that Jenna also goes first.  Probably not how she envisioned her attempt as a pro ending.  Hopefully, she can be consoled by Peta and Keo, both of whom also know what that's like.

On 9/21/2016 at 7:51 AM, smiley13 said:

I am glad that Jenna girl is gone.  She seemed a little too focused on herself instead of her partner.

I do not believe that Ryan was in the bottom two.  I hope he stays in the competition for a long time just to annoy some people.

Re the first point, Jenna & Jake were dreadful and they deserved to be eliminated.

However, I do believe that Ryan was in the B2. While the idiot protesters' scheme seems to have backfired for now, I also believe that there's a large contingent of voters who never wanted Lochte there in the first place and who will not only never vote for him, they'll vote more for most of his opponents just to eliminate him sooner.