Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E03: Week 2: The Results

• Start Topic

Those protesters couldn't have done Ryan a better favor if they had planned it for 100 years; I never would have dreamed he'd enjoy so much public support and sympathy (on the whole). Whatever their plan was, it seems it has failed rather catastrophically. 

• Love 12

After watching the footage of the protesters on the results show, maybe it might have made more sense to interrupt Ryan Lochte before he danced. At least that might have rattled him and had an effect on the quality of his dancing. Instead, there was a possibility (although it didn't happen) that Laurie could have been rattled (if she was a less good dancer) since the protesters came close to actually interrupting her dance.

In the end, maybe just rounding up a bunch of people to vote for one of the competitors and AGAINST Ryan Lochte would have made the most sense if getting him off the show is your objective. But maybe you have to some sense of logic to figure that out. 

Edited by bantering
  • Love 3

I really enjoyed the pro dances, one thing I like about having a results show. The big one especially, with Derek as Day Man (Fighter of the Night Man, captain of the dancing rainbow army, master of karate and friendship, for everyone.) The clap sequence with the girls was fun, and looked crazy complicated to pull off. Good work from Mandy Moore, who is maybe more inspired this season?

The Derek/Maks/Cheryl (Allison/Jenna/Artem don't get names) dance was hot. I thought Sharna/Val looked tentative on that round stage though.

Zero surprised at who went home.

• Love 4

Derek claims he's not in it for the MBT anymore, for him, it's all about the coaching. Uh huh.  While Ice was telling Witney "what scores, I don't look at scores", Derek is behind them gazing at the mirrorball going round and round. LOL!

I suspect Ryan was put into jeopardy for suspense.  Cheryl looked awfully happy during the eliminations.  Most of the pros can tell somehow (production vibes I guess) when they are likely going home.  I guess she didn't get that vibe tonight.

Edited by Uke
  • Love 7

Maks, Cheryl and Derek are not my favorite pros but I did get a little nostalgic with the hyping of their return, mostly due to how genuinely thrilled Tom seemed to welcome them back. The three dancers' styles are incredibly different, but I was a bit bummed that their solo routine was so short, and included others. By the time I really got into it, it was over.  For all the fanfare, though, I don't see any of them making the finals with their celebrities, except Cheryl.

The outfits for the pro dance were eyesores, but I appreciate Mandy Moore trying something a little different every 5 seasons or so. Alison still stuck out in a bad way. I wish Karina was partnered with Babyface instead. She'd work wonders with him.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, LotusFlower said:

Wow - that was a lot of filler.  A two-hour filler show!  They even resorted to showing some of the same behind-the-scenes stuff twice!  Are they back to the two-night a week format?

Not likely, just like this bloated episode the results show itself is filler until the other Tuesday Night shows premiere.

Not sure why they couldn't just premiere them tonight but there ya go.

I don't usually want to watch a 2 hour overblown results show, but I was happy for it tonight. I missed so many of the dances last night due to fighting in my house and everyone had to come in my room and complain about everyone else! I know this is way off topic, but I just need a second to vent about it. I think my 60 yr old sister and her 17 yr old grandson are both actually 12! I'm ready to turn them both over my knee! 

But I enjoyed getting to watch the dances tonight. I know I could watch on YouTube, but I'm really too set in my ways of tv watching to do that. I think the correct person got eliminated, I didn't think he was all that into it. There will be more correct eliminations, some maybe before I'm ready for them and a couple that will last entirely too long to suit me. And after long weeks of competition a winner will emerge, I may like it, I may not or I may not give a d**n by then, we'll see. If I care enough about the outcome, I can vote, haven't in a few years and don't think I have that much interest now either, but over all, I like watching.

Yep 2 hour filler fest. There was maybe 15 min. total of "new" material/pro dances/elimination results. 

I am kicking myself for being so outraged back in the day that the Tue. show was being eliminated....it's not needed. The current format of 1 night a week is just fine.

Quick observations for the night...

1. Did Gleb grab Jana's ass backstage? I could have sworn I saw that...and I was watching online so I couldn't rewind.

2. From the backstage snippets it sounded like Jake & Jena planned on a kiss at the end of their jive but didn't hit his mark. Jena said something like "we'll do a kiss in later weeks." So that confirms for me they were moving full steam ahead with showmance. Partly glad he's eliminated so I didn't have to endure their struggle bus showmance.

Edited by RemoteControl88
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Michichick said:

Thanks @SpikeGal. Glad to hear it, I didn't think his dancing was very compelling.

Especially after he botched up the theme song to his own cartoon series! In the words of The Nostalgia Critic, "For kids?"

I was unhappy to see Maureen in the bottom group, and happy when she was the first of that group to be announced as safe.  I can't help but like her. 

The behind-the-scenes stuff makes me like some of the stars more, and some a lot less. I honestly am not the least bit interested in Marilu Henner, so the sooner she's gone, the better for me.  And I'm as gullible and easily persuaded as they come, so I'm having to work at continuing to not like Ryan much.  Disliked Jake (buh-bye!), and I'm not wild about Terra, either. I'll be damned, though, that they have me liking James and Vanilla Ice!  I've always been sure Vanilla Ice is a massive tool and I dislike racing and all of that in general, so I didn't expect to think much of James.  I really like him, though.

Edited by Marmiarmo
Punctuation
  • Love 7

I'd bet a not-unsubstantial amount of $ that the bottom two actually were Maureen and Artem and Jake and Jenna. Had they done a proper bottom four I think Babyface and Allison and Rick and Emma would've joined them in jeopardy.

Ryan and Cheryl being in "danger" was purely for the drama (and throwing in Amber and Maks for good measure just ratcheted it up that little bit more). Still I would've laughed and cheered hysterically had Ryan gone home first. America doesn't have that much sense unfortunately.

Beyond that, the only thing mildly interesting was hearing some of the cues the pro dancers gave to their celebs as the dances were happening. That on the fly communication is pretty cool.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 2

My favorite part of the results shows are when we get to hear the comments being made during the dances. I don't know we've ever got judges commentary before. That's kind of interesting. 

I had to laugh at Artem barking orders at Maureen, mostly because he's very good at acting like his partner is the center of his world when they're dancing. The dichotomy was amusing.

I just want to hang out with Sasha. He seems like such a cool, calm, funny guy. 

I finally realized Jenna totally reminds be of a brunette Natalie Dormer. Can we get Jenna/Maks Margery/Drogo dance?

... am I the only one that doesn't think Gleb is worth the screaming? I mean, I guess he's attractive, but ... I think there are hotter Russians on this show already. I'm all for gratitious eye candy, but Gleb just doesn't do it for me.

Can Allison just go back to SYTYCD? I still don't think she fits in here.

Kind of surprised by the people in jeopardy, but at the same time, not. Not surprised about Jenna and Jake, though. He never connected with the audience and with a new pro  ... he was basically doomed. 

Thrilled for at least another week of Artem, though, so that's enough for me.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, bantering said:

In the end, maybe just rounding up a bunch of people to vote for one of the competitors and AGAINST Ryan Lochte would have made the most sense if getting him off the show is your objective. But maybe you have to some sense of logic to figure that out. 

How would voting against someone work exactly?  With 13 contestants, it doesn't really work because the premise of voting is voting for someone.  So even if a group of people chose to vote for someone to save them over Ryan, it'd only eliminate Ryan if he was in the bottom.  That's possible but not something that can be manipulated. 

• Love 2

How would voting against someone work exactly?  With 13 contestants, it doesn't really work because the premise of voting is voting for someone.  So even if a group of people chose to vote for someone to save them over Ryan, it'd only eliminate Ryan if he was in the bottom.  That's possible but not something that can be manipulated. 

Vote for the Worst did it for years with American Idol. They'd pick "the worst" person to vote for and see how long they could keep them on the show. It worked pretty well, actually. They're often credited with getting Scott Savol past Constantine Moroulis, but their most popular "worst" candidate was probably Sanjaya Malakar, who lasted waaaaay to far into his season.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

If the group of anti-Lochte is large (and honestly I have no idea how large it is), maybe they could EACH choose a  contestant to non-stop text in favour of (not simply picking one contestant, but having an anti-Lochte person attached to every contestant).  But I'm only making this suggestion based on the assumption that there is a group of anti-Lochte people large enough to form such coalition and actually interested enough in doing this. If there are only 2 or 3 anti-Lochte people willing to put in the effort, then, yeah, this wouldn't work.  I don't know how many anti-Lochte people are committed to actually putting such an effort forward or simply enjoy making fun of him in the privacy of their homes. From what I can tell, most seem to prefer the latter. 

I'm not really sure if what I've suggested would work, but I think trying to get the contestant ousted by voting non-stop for other contestants (even if the end goal doesn't get accomplished) makes more sense than rushing (or, uh, walking across) the stage. Going on stage to stare at him (or just looking lost while bumping into him) and getting tackled by security -- well, that doesn't really get him off the show either, if that was their aim. 

Edited by bantering
1 hour ago, McManda said:

Vote for the Worst did it for years with American Idol. They'd pick "the worst" person to vote for and see how long they could keep them on the show. It worked pretty well, actually. They're often credited with getting Scott Savol past Constantine Moroulis, but their most popular "worst" candidate was probably Sanjaya Malakar, who lasted waaaaay to far into his season.

But that's just it, the goal of VFTW was to promote a less talented contestant.  It wasn't about eliminating a specific candidate.  So everyone on the VFTW had only one person to vote for.  Sure, it meant better contestants were eliminated too soon but none of them were the target.  They were  just collateral damage. 

54 minutes ago, bantering said:

I'm not really sure if what I've suggested would work, but I think trying to get the contestant ousted (even if doesn't work out properly) makes more sense than rushing the stage.

That I will agree with. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, McManda said:

But that's still voting "for" someone. The only way to vote someone off would be to have a massive amount of voting accounts (and helpers to vote on those accounts) and then vote for those having lower scores and those having scores slightly higher than the target to create enough of a margin that the target's fan voters could not overcome.  

Just now, Callaphera said:

Well, that was a whole lot of nothing. Note to self: from now on, if there's a results show, just tune in for the last five minutes.

That's what the Simply house did. Watched the Voice, flipped over to find 4 couples in jeopardy and see the creepy actor go home. Glad to see we missed a whole lot o nothing, as expected.

• Love 1

Keo is a great dancer. Sexy and easy on the eyes...when he is with another pro. No shame in being part of the troupe.

Calvin and Lindsay are kind of adorable.

Add me to the list of viewers who are surprised to find themselves liking v.Ice.

Derek is the least sexy pro dancer imo.  Just boyish and asexual.

I love Maks, but he and Amber are not working for me. They are just kind of blah. This surprises me because they are two gorgeous people.

Edited by gohawks
  • Love 5

And this is why they don't do results shows anymore. But this season they have to, right? Because the schedule is getting all kinds of messed with the debates. I didn't even watch this, I just looked online to see who was kicked off. I don't need to see the backstage footage of the dances.

I'm only sad Jake got kicked off because it means we have another dance with Rick.

• Love 1

Ameriker sure got it right.  I'd bet that Perry was the actual next-worst score.  

What was with the small and round stage for the celebratory Tangos?

As with others, I love hearing the real-time cues in performance.  Hearing the jidges during performance is also fun.

The season does have pretty good potential.  

Well, that was a whole lot of nothing. Note to self: from now on, if there's a results show, just tune in for the last five minutes.

Even better: skip the original show and just watch the recap/results. We hadn't gotten around to watching Monday's episode, but we're all caught up now. I guess we missed the rehearsal packages, but I like hearing the comments during the dance more (especially Bruno!).

I am glad that Jenna girl is gone.  She seemed a little too focused on herself instead of her partner.

I do not believe that Ryan was in the bottom two.  I hope he stays in the competition for a long time just to annoy some people.

• Love 14
9 hours ago, Marmiarmo said:

I was unhappy to see Maureen in the bottom group, and happy when she was the first of that group to be announced as safe.  I can't help but like her. 

I love her and she seems so happy to be on the show!

I was waiting for a Maks, Cheryl, Derek Hot Trio AT with great lifts, Cheryl smolder, Maks sex, and Derek's athleticism. ...  And we got a dark jumble of others, with a fairly routine non descript dance.  What a lunch bag let down..  

• Love 5

When it got down to Jake and Ryan it was like there was no bad choice to be made. I'm sure Ryan was just "in danger" for the drama of it all, but still the thought he might have gone home first was pretty nice. The worst thing about this already padded results show was it meant we had to spend even more time talking about the protestors and seeing poor Ryan's mom crying as her baby (30 something) was unfairly maligned or whatever bs they're still selling. I wish I could "get away from everything" while making a tidy sum of money on what seems to be a fun TV show. Of course, no one ever will come out and say that the everything is just the consequences of Ryan's poor choices.

Still, I'm happy to get rid of creepy Jake and his miserable attitude and his even worse dancing. Plus, Jenna is gone! Sorry, I didn't like her on SYTYCD, I didn't like her in the troupe and I didn't like her as a pro. She just tries too hard for my tastes.

4 minutes ago, RedFiat said:

I was waiting for a Maks, Cheryl, Derek Hot Trio AT with great lifts, Cheryl smolder, Maks sex, and Derek's athleticism. ...  And we got a dark jumble of others, with a fairly routine non descript dance.  What a lunch bag let down..  

Right? It was so dark I could barely see anything. I love Cheryl, like Maks and am indifferent about Derek but for all the show has been slobbering over their returns (I feel like Derek was just here) you would think they'd do a better job showing them off.

• Love 6

Exactly, @vibeology  I love Cheryl and I know her authentic Argentine Tango training, and the training Maks got for the NY show and Derek's choreo skills could have really made something special out there and it was just a blah Mandy Moore piece of whatever.  I really hate how they have watered down the skill sets.   

• Love 2

I was surprised that I actually enjoyed the first hour of the show. The extras were fun and it wasn't just a rehash of the dancing.  

Add me to the list of viewers who are surprised to find themselves liking v.Ice.

Yeah.  Before the season started, I was positive he was going to be my least favorite.  Now I'm looking forward to seeing him.   And Witney looks pretty happy. 

Missing Mark, though.  

Edited by Thadeeeyus
  • Love 4

Good work from Mandy Moore, who is maybe more inspired this season?

I haven't seen this new inspiration, especially if that season opening number a week ago was anything to go by. That was a whole lot of nothing that it probably cost a lot to pull off since they had to reserve the location. Last night's number was fun and pretty to look at and that's the bulk of Mandy's contribution. She is excellent at staging but the actual dancing itself is very basic at best. For the skill level of many of these Pro dancers, what they are asked to do in these numbers is borderline pedestrian. But hey, it sure looks pretty.

I guess she didn't get that vibe tonight.

Or maybe after inadvertently being sucked into Ryan's drama as his Pro, she was more than fine with being eliminated, if it came to that. That said, I thought she looked plenty nervous right before they announced who was leaving. 

I am kicking myself for being so outraged back in the day that the Tue. show was being eliminated....it's not needed. The current format of 1 night a week is just fine.

A results show is fine if it's kept to half an hour. The problem is not a results show, it's how long they drag the shit out. It was the same issue when they regularly had a results show and it was an hour. I always thought that was too long back as well. Thirty minutes is more than enough time to have one or two Pro numbers, recap the previous night and announce who's safe and who's leaving. Done and done.

Because like others, I enjoyed seeing the stuff we don't get to see, like hearing what the judges are saying while the couple is performing and how the Pro is directing their celebrity during the dance. It's a nice insight into the show and it is nice to see the camaraderie backstage between the couples. But again, that can all be done in thirty minutes.

1. Did Gleb grab Jana's ass backstage? I could have sworn I saw that...and I was watching online so I couldn't rewind.

He did, while telling her something that I think was technical. So I think it was meant to be about the dance but there was still something slightly skeevy about it and I feel like that was the issue with Gleb the first time he was a Pro on the show. While Val sells sexy as well and people enjoy it, Gleb has a way of just coming across slightly skeevy. And I may be biased and seeing things based on their histories, but I had a slight discomfort everytime they showed he and Jana's backstage stuff.

I kept feeling like the show was skirting just this close to the showmance stuff without outright doing it, what with Gleb being married. Like I said after the first week, that is not a route those two want to go down with Gleb already having rumors of cheating on his wife once before and Jana on her third separation, possibly third divorce.

I was waiting for a Maks, Cheryl, Derek Hot Trio AT with great lifts, Cheryl smolder, Maks sex, and Derek's athleticism. ...  And we got a dark jumble of others, with a fairly routine non descript dance. 

I agree. I was really baffled after all that build up, that is all we got. They could have made that number a lot longer and edit down Mandy's Day-Glo hop/skip number. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

I find this season substantively "meh", in fact more so than any prior season.  So I'm mostly interested in how they're packaging each "star"/pro.

I just don't understand the constant repetition of Derek's nasally hissyfit "hey guys, this is a positive show".  Is it supposed to make him seem . . . . what?  To me, it just paints him as a WATB.

Even if Ryan Lochte was signed-on prior to what happened in Brazil, the way they handled the protester issue this week demonstrates that the reason he was there on week one was to capitalize on the controversy.  And that, in addition to the apparently right-wing-designated cast spot they have every season, makes me not really like TPTB.

MLB and the NFL have handled the situation of idiots running onto the playing fields by steadfastly refusing to give them any TV time.  Just the opposite here.  And the camera angle from the roof showed that the one older protester was not at all physically threatening Lochte, but was in fact pushed into him by the chubby Keystone Cop who finally got a chance to put his failed high-school-football tackle training to work.

• Love 1

I had no idea it was going to be two hours so I yelled "How long is this thing?" several times LOL.

I think in the age of twitter I can see how they aired the footage.  If you "wanted" to know, the videos from the crowd were all over twitter in minutes.  Why not show their own footage and frame (spin) the story how they see fit?  Ryan Lochte was the winner of all of it, although it would make more sense to me if his camp actually hired those people to make a stink LOL.  Who cares about Ryan Lochte that much?  He's not even worth the price of those tshirts.

I thought the crayon routine was a shocking departure for Mandy Moore choreo.  She usually does default stripper dances.

I like watching the pros dance with each other....it's a nice side of seeing them do some tricks instead of the basic moves with their students.

I also would like more "in dance" audio and commentary of the dances on the results shows.  It gives a new dimension to what they are getting coached on....is it the next move?  is it Smile?  is it a redirection?  Is it counting?  

Can they refer to Rob as "Ice" instead of "Vanilla Ice?"  It just seems weird.  Erin seems on the verge of addressing him as "Mr. Vanilla Ice" at times.

When did Val get hotter than Maks?

• Love 1

Val has been hotter (and way more talented) than Maks from the get-go, IMHO.

I was fascinated watching Maks and Derek together after their not-so-ginormous dance number.  If they actually like each other, they hide it VERY well.  I thought that using other pros was a way to keep them from having to actually dance together.  The whole thing was pretty yawn, considering the build-up.

• Love 1

Not surprised at last night's elimination. It seemed that a lot of people found Jake T. Austin unlikeable and his dancing was subpar.

I don't believe for a second that Ryan Lochte was actually in danger of elimination. It was just a way for the show to amp up the drama. After seeing footage of the protesters being replayed for the millionth time, I'm officially bored of it.

I thought it was such a missed opportunity to not have just Cherly, Derek, and Maks do an AT trio instead of inviting along three other dancers. It could've been a great dance.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, crowceilidh said:

I was fascinated watching Maks and Derek together after their not-so-ginormous dance number.  If they actually like each other, they hide it VERY well.  I thought that using other pros was a way to keep them from having to actually dance together.

I mean, I don't think they're best friends but neither of them seem bent on creating tension over it. Everyone always seems pretty relaxed to me. 

(Lindsay is an adorable dork)

I think the adding in the other three made sense so they each had a partner, the only weirdness really came from marketing it as a Derek/Maks/Cheryl dance. Really, they could have had Gleb and Emma in there instead of Artem and Jenna, if they really wanted to push a "returning pros" angle.

The best way to watch this business IMO is to just look up the dances you want to see after the fact. There's plenty of super fans that post everything almost immediately. Then you never have to deal with filler. (I probably watched about 10 mins total from last nights show and feel pretty satisfied.)

1 hour ago, kitcloudkicker said:

Really, they could have had Gleb and Emma in there instead of Artem and Jenna, if they really wanted to push a "returning pros" angle.

I miiiight be willing to allow Emma as a returning proc other than she's along the newer permanent pros and isn't always a guarantee as a pro. Cheryl, Maks, and Derek are "the originals" and were always around, so I get why they marketed their return like they did. 

No way Gleb fits in there. One season where he was forgettable at best doesn't make him a returning pro. I still don't get why they asked him back. 

• Love 1