Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3: Goodbye Jonathan, Hello Alyson!

• Start Topic

Yeah, looking back on the trick, it's blatantly obvious how he loads the cookie after returning the milk; but I think both Penn and Teller had been distracted at that moment and missed it. One moment of misdirection was all that was needed, and I'm sure they are kicking themselves for missing it once they can look at the video again. I'm sure Chris was shocked he fooled them with something that simple too. 

Brent's plant was pretty obvious too on review (which P&T don't have advantage of but I'm sure are watching for it). Still it was a fun trick that frankly even with a rigged deck I have no idea how it works. 

Joseph had a good trick; those glass tricks always fool me. I have no idea how you can hide them so smoothly, and impressed that it can be done (apparently with turn tables given Penn's comments). ONce or twice I think I've seen how they do it, but most of the time, it just baffles me. 

• Love 1

I loved the bit at the end, especially Teller's expressions to Penn's "guessing" and how they basically made fun of the most common reactions from the attempted foolers when they're up there.

Yes!  To be fair, the standard for "fooling" varies enough so that if you do a classic illusion in a new way (say, for instance, using a trap door for cups and balls), the fooler can win by asking for details, sometimes. 

That said, I'd rather win outright or take their word for it than win on a technicality.  (I'm about a Rincewind*-level magician, so none of those things are going to happen.)

* If you're not familiar, Sir Terry Prachett's Discworld series is a great set of reads about, in part, a wizard who has no talent.

• Love 1
On 9/18/2016 at 3:22 PM, Taeolas said:

Yeah, looking back on the trick, it's blatantly obvious how he loads the cookie after returning the milk; but I think both Penn and Teller had been distracted at that moment and missed it. One moment of misdirection was all that was needed, and I'm sure they are kicking themselves for missing it once they can look at the video again. I'm sure Chris was shocked he fooled them with something that simple too. 

The clip of this trick popped up as a recommended video for me on YouTube earlier this week (from Chris Rose's channel), and I decided to watch it.  This time, I finally saw the load.  And I can't believe I missed it myself earlier.

But as I said in the "How you think it'd done" thread, that was a great trick with two separate outs.  Like Penn (and I suspect Teller), I was prepared for the milk spitting gag.  And I'm sure Chris knew that they'd know about that bit, hence the cookie being the "real" trick, just in case Teller spoiled the milk.

Edited by SVNBob
  • Love 1

I've been binging this recently, and I may be in the minority, but I think Alyson brings life to the show that was lacking with Jonathan Ross. I remember watching the original version of the show and thinking it felt dry and never really got around to its CW incarnation until the last few weeks. Season 2 was fine, and Ross was fine, but when Alyson shows up, it's finally not a show with 3 old white dudes in suits. When they announced she was taking over as host, it seemed like such a strange choice, but honestly, I think her chatter with the magicians is far better than Jonathan's and overall presence feels a lot less scripted than Jonathan's. Overall, I think the show is much better with her.

• Love 1