Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E01: Undo

• Start Topic

When one of Grey Sloan's own lands in the hospital, Bailey tries to figure out what happened while the rest of the doctors jump in to help. Meredith juggles huge secrets that affect her relationships with Alex and Maggie. While Richard helps Jo with a big decision, April and Catherine clash over the new baby.

i was ready to quit at the end of the last season. i still am, but i'm not as mad as i was, so we'll see.

Also, a couple months ago i had a benign tumor removed from my leg under local anesthesia. The doctor used a term i didn't know, subcuticular. So i said, what's the difference between subcuticular and subcutaneous. The doctor said, good question, can any of the trainees answer it? A couple said um, er, and the other three suddenly got very busy with whatever they were doing. At that moment, i felt really let down. Because if that had been Grey's season one, one of them (probably Cristina) would have elbowed someone else in the solar plexus to be first with the answer.

Turns out, while subcutaneous means the fat layer underneath the skin, subcuticular means just under the first layer of skin.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, Court said:

I'm with you @dr pepper. I'm not looking forward to this at all. I actually enjoyed most of last season until the end. I may be the only one not looking forward to the Alex/Jo mess.

I seriously doubt that you are the only one not looking forward to the Alex/Jo stuff, I'm sure that plenty of people will have stuff to say about it.  But I AM looking forward to it, though not as much as I would have been had it happened a season or two ago.  The amount of time that has passed and the lack of development for Jo and for their relationship has taken a toll on their storyline.  But, it is what it is and I am anxious to see Jo get some real development and am thrilled to see Justin Chambers do something other than wander into a scene to give someone advice or smile at a kid and wander out again.  The character of Alex will likely be assassinated to some degree, but after a drought of two seasons, I don't even care.

• Love 5

I'm really happy to finally have a storyline for Alex but I get everyone has their favorites. Its been years. Justin is an original cast member and deserves some decent material and a chance to shine a bit.

I highly doubt that Alex's story will completely dominate the show in any way beyond the first episode. Given the episode descriptions there will be plenty of other storylines. The sisters love triangle will probably end up being the big story by episode 5 if not earlier.

• Love 2
Just now, windsprints said:

I'm really happy to finally have a storyline for Alex but I get everyone has their favorites. Its been years. Justin is an original cast member and deserves some decent material and a chance to shine a bit.

I highly doubt that Alex's story will completely dominate the show in any way beyond the first episode. Given the episode descriptions there will be plenty of other storylines. The sisters love triangle will probably end up being the big story by episode 5 if not earlier.

Alex is my favorite but I have no desire to see the character assassination. To be fair, I can't stand Jo.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Deanie87 said:

The character of Alex will likely be assassinated to some degree, but after a drought of two seasons, I don't even care.

I don't care about it in terms of what other fans think about him, but after the spoilers and the latest sneak peek I'm not so thrilled where they're taking Alex's character. I don't mind him doing morally questionable stuff and I'm sure he will own up to his crap eventually. And I also like self-loathing Alex, because it's heartbreaking and I don't mind him somewhat reverting back to the jerk he can/could be, because the Perfect Friend Alex got boring really fast.

But what I don't like is that it looks like he has to start from scratch in about every aspect of his life. He is alone, with no SO to build a life with. People will hate him for having done something so horrible, while every other character will continue to surf the moral high wave and move on with their lives and get married and have babies and silly relationship drama. And who knows what consequences all this will have for him professionally.

I'm not even some one who longs for Alex to get married and have all the babies, but I can't deny it does piss me off that the writers continue to shit on him (I'm sorry are those terms allowed in this board? I hope I'm not violating any rules, I just can't think of a better term), while every other character is granted some happiness between their silly drama. What apparently was supposed to be Alex's happy time in s11 & 12 fell completely short to me, amongst other things because they didn't bother to expand his romantic relationship with Jo at all. I don't even know how many episodes there were in the last two seasons where the two of them didn't even interact. Too many, that's for sure.

And I still think the whole story and the way Alex lost control there is completely OTT. So I can only hope there's some deeper meaning behind it and it wasn't just done for drama and cheap thrills. But I'm not counting on it.

On a different note, where IS Jo? Do we think she really caught a black eye in that fight between Alex and Andrew?

• Love 5

Ugh, you've confirmed my fears. Yes, he should suffer consequences but someone should be there for him. He deserves that. They've all done some pretty shitty things themselves.

Edited by Court
  • Love 2

But what I don't like is that it looks like he has to start from scratch in about every aspect of his life. He is alone, with no SO to build a life with. People will hate him for having done something so horrible, while every other character will continue to surf the moral high wave and move on with their lives and get married and have babies and silly relationship drama. And who knows what consequences all this will have for him professionally.

I think with Meredith involved that is going to be absolutely true. Alex was hated (talking about in the show's universe) for telling on Saint Meredith after she committed federal fraud.  Alex doing something wrong and Meredith going against him will certainly have everyone on her side. Every wrong doing they've all done will be forgotten and it will be them looking down on Alex. In the end (could take all season) I think it will be Jo that's there for him.

So I can only hope there's some deeper meaning behind it and it wasn't just done for drama and cheap thrills. But I'm not counting on it.

I'm afraid it was all done to create tension in the Mer/Alex friendship and that much of the focus will be on how it affects Meredith. I want it be focused on Alex & Jo.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, windsprints said:

I'm afraid it was all done to create tension in the Mer/Alex friendship and that much of the focus will be on how it affects Meredith. I want it be focused on Alex & Jo.

This bottom line is the biggest fear I have of this storyline playing out, and all these damn articles focussing on 'Alex and Meredith' are doing nothing to absolve my worries. For once, just ONCE, can't we see Alex and jo navigate something alone??? And not  how Meredith is affected? I understand that they're dealing with the fallout of deluca (which is completely over the top of course, typical greys focussing on the wrong thing for drama) but after that, we need to see BOTH Alex and Jo's point of view. And if they really cared about this issue and how it's portrayed, they Won't focus on the fact Jo lied, they'll focus on WHY she lied - there is a lot more opportunity for a more compelling emotional story there anyway, not to mention a chance for both Alex and Jo to get some complex material! I hope like hell this is how they deal with this. 

Edited by Rose-1
  • Love 3

The whole "Will Alex turn himself in/Will Meredith turn Alex in?" nonsense might have been a bit easier to take seriously if there'd been any point to either of them trying to keep the whole thing a secret, but since DeLuca would obviously say it was him as soon as he woke up it was kind of a stupid thing for them to fuss about.

Yes, Jo, you do ruin everything. Please go away. Why aren't you going away?

Also, Harriet? Whyyyyy?

• Love 8

Maggie is so annoying - is there anything she doesn't make about herself. So unlikeable.

My Jolex heartbreaks although they had more to do individually and together in this episode then they've had since season 10.

• Love 6

Am I the only one who thinks Maggie was being ridiculous: "you knew all day about Alex and you didn't tell me?"  It's not about you, Maggie! At all!  

I rolled my eyes so hard at that, since it was obviously to set up Mer 'sacrificing' her chance with that guy so her sister wouldn't distrust her even more.  

They really wrote Alex into a corner here.  He pretty clearly is going to end up in jail.  Or would, except for whatever ridiculous plot twist they will use to keep him out.  

• Love 16

Justin and Ellen both did great work tonight, I love their scenes together. Alex getting the spotlight tonight was great, I love that they're really digging deep into this and not letting him off the hook (which was a big fear I had during the finale.) They escelated that cheesy cliffhanger into something with some real meat. It seems like Jo will get some real POV in this, too, which is good. Her scenes with Alex were quite sad - they're both so broken, it makes me upset that they haven't been given these stories earlier. I'm ready to dig in now, though. I hope they really explore Alex's relationships with other characters in the wake of this, especially Bailey and Richard (in addition to Jo, of course).

I really like Riggs, and enjoy him with Meredith - and Maggie still tends to get on my nerves. I hope the triangle doesn't drag too long. I don't need 6 episodes of build-up to seeing more Sad Maggie. At least she won't be talking to Alex about her vag anymore, though. 

No Amelia and Owen tonight was great. 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 6

Harriet wouldn't have been my choice, but it's not Catherine's, either.  Usually, I can't stand April, but I liked her speech about the Kepner name.  Whatever Catherine feels, April isn't going to let her bulldoze her way into Harriet's life, and I can respect that.  

I think DeLuca will get a "very special speech" from someone (probably Meredith) and he'll drop the assault charges on Alex.  ABC really hyped this up, making it sound like DeLuca was definitely a goner, or at least blind.

I was glad that Meredith realized how in the wrong she and Alex were, because let's face it: Alex screwed up.  Yes, it was in the heat of the moment and things did not look good when he arrived, but fuck him and Meredith for trying to make it look like DeLuca had been taking advantage of Jo.  Thank goodness Meredith nipped that in the bud.  Poor DeLuca.  I can't blame him for being piss-scared when Alex showed up.

Riggs can go away.  I was OK with him hooking up with Maggie, but now he just bugs me.  He's like a bad penny that keeps turning up.  Although Meredith turned him down (I really wish she'd meant what she said about not being into him) I think Maggie and DeLuca will reconnect because of the assault, leaving Riggs and Meredith to hook up for real.  There will be plenty of drama in between, but that's just my theory.

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, SlovakPrincess said:

They really wrote Alex into a corner here.  He pretty clearly is going to end up in jail.  Or would, except for whatever ridiculous plot twist they will use to keep him out.  

I hate this storyline for this reason alone. Alex deserves to go to jail. But something will happen that he doesn't...which I'm duessing is DeLuca lying on the stand saying he doesn't remember what happened after all.

Anyone feel like Alex, who works with babies and took care of Meredith and her kids after Derrek died would have landed one punch or even punched the wall instead of DeLuca? I think this story drags Alex back years in character development. And I'm super bummed for him. Finally a storyline and it seems like one that would have better fit Evil Spawn.

Love that Alex is getting a story but hate the story. I can never have nice things on Greys. First George, then Mark, then Callie and Alex. You'd think I'd learn....

• Love 11

I was glad that Meredith realized how in the wrong she and Alex were, because let's face it: Alex screwed up.  Yes, it was in the heat of the moment and things did not look good when he arrived, but fuck him and Meredith for trying to make it look like DeLuca had been taking advantage of Jo.  Thank goodness Meredith nipped that in the bud.  Poor DeLuca.  I can't blame him for being piss-scared when Alex showed up.

What really pissed me off about this whole thing is that Meredith only started really freaking out about Alex did when they found out the truth that DeLuca hadn't done anything with Jo at all -- before that, she was not unaware that Alex did a really bad, stupid thing, but it's like it was understandable/justifiable if DeLuca had been hooking up with Jo, or taking advantage of a drunk Jo. Alex could have killed him! There was no justifying what he did to him.

Another thing, I was a little surprised and annoyed that Alex still believed that DeLuca had been doing something with/to Jo the entire time until Meredith via Edwards set him straight. You would think, in the time between when he finally pulled his fist off of DeLuca's face and when the ambulance arrived, Jo might have said something. I hate how TV makes people skip over conversation time they logically would have had otherwise.

• Love 17

It's a soap. Dramatic things have to happen. Alex did an awful thing, but at least they're addressing it. This type of thing is in his DNA, we've seen for years that he gets violent and has a temper. Justin's EW interview is a good read. This is the type of show they've always made - he screwed up but obviously he'll work through it and get 'redemption', however that works.

I don't think there was no sympathy for DeLuca, either. Everyone was worried about him, and Meredith felt strongly enough about what happened to him that she turned in her best friend knowing that he'd be arrested. I think we'll see more people rally around DeLuca, too. This ep only took place over just one night, a couple of hours basically.

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 9

The only thing I liked about this ep was Pompeo & Chambers having so much to do together (and yes I'm shipping them for the finale and I know the cheese stands alone. Whatev.) I understand the show's been going for 11 years but can the writers find some way to inject some energy into the scripts? And not rehash the same story you used with Chest Peckwell? I think they lost a lot when Sandra Oh left, and I just can't care when Deluca, Catherine or Derek's sister are onscreen. (I'd add Maggie to that list but I think she quoted Sprockets this week so I'll give her a pass.)

Also, Mags - you can totally be a surgeon with one eye. I had (it turns out most likely unnecessary) back surgery when I was a kid. I happened to meet someone who had worked with my surgeon over thirty years ago and had seen him recently. For reasons I won't get into here, my surgeon revealed he had a glass eye for most of his life and took it out when his former co-worker thought he was joking. So, I'm unclear what the AMA currently thinks of one-eyed surgeons, but there's at least 1 out there. I have the back pain to prove it.

• Love 4

I thought it was a good episode. Justin Chambers was excellent throughout.  I'm not seeing all the sympathy with Alex at all. I saw pretty much none in fact. All of these people who have known him for over a decade didn't have all the information the audience did.  He was carted off in handcuffs in front of them all but no one followed to make sure he got a lawyer, ask his side of things, etc.  His "person" went home, had a chat with her sister and her fling then wandered over, still not asking if he needed help getting a lawyer or anything.  No one else appeared to even be interested in hearing his side, why any of this happened.  Again, we know what happened but the majority of them do not as of yet.

I can't imagine Alex will go to jail for any length of time. 90% of the show takes place at the hospital and having him in jail leaves him pretty much off the show. Since no one in the history of the show has ever received real life level punishment I just can't see them starting that in S13.  I do want consequences though. Counseling with probation and even  some kind of suspension from treating patients for a period of time would work if they give him some other job within the hospital to keep him there and in the story. I'm definitely curious to see how its handled. The way its set up they can't just sweep it under the rug as they've done in the past.

I liked Richard being there for Jo. Jo definitely can use a friend/mentor. I really enjoyed their scenes tonight. 

The Japril baby is adorable! I liked April not backing down to Catherine without shrieking. 

I don't care about Maggie and her 7th grade crush or the sister triangle at all. 

• Love 9
15 minutes ago, BaseOps said:

It's a soap. Dramatic things have to happen. Alex did an awful thing, but at least they're addressing it. This type of thing is in his DNA, we've seen for years that he gets violent and has a temper. Justin's EW interview is a good read. This is the type of show they've always made - he screwed up but obviously he'll work through it and get 'redemption', however that works.

I don't think there was no sympathy for DeLuca, either. Everyone was worried about him, and Meredith felt strongly enough about what happened to him that she turned in her best friend knowing that he'd be arrested. I think we'll see more people rally around DeLuca, too. This ep only took place over just one night, a couple of hours basically.

I agree.  I have learned not to take this show all that seriously, and therefore I loved this episode.  I don't blame Alex and Meredith for not rushing to tell Bailey and the cops everything the second that they got to the hospital.  Was it right? No, but it was understandable.  In the end, they both got there, maybe not for the best reasons or as soon as they should have but they got there.  And along the lines of not taking it seriously, Alex gave the hottest perp walk ever and if he finds love with a fellow hot, lost soul in prison, so be it.

I never thought that Alex beating someone so severely was completely out of character, but it does make more sense to me that he though DeLuca was taking advantage than because he was jealous.  Not that there wasn't some of that too...his little speech to Jo was BRUTAL.  Goddamn.  Takes one to know one, huh Alex?  I don't care, I love them and their horrible, Garbage Pail upbringings and their anguish is like sunshine to me!  Also I find ragey, emotionally damaged Alex to be soooo much more interesting than mature, kindly old Doc Karev any day.

I thought that Camilla Luddington did great and I loved Jo's scenes with Webber.  I really, really hope that they continue this relationship, she could use a friend.  I don't blame DeLuca for getting on her case about why she came to visit him, but damn, Jo is having a rough day LOL.  Not as rough as DeLuca's of course, he just wanted to enjoy a cheesburger for god's sake.

As always, just shut the fuck up, Maggie.

• Love 8

They could have had the same interesting moral and ethical issues about Alex without him beating Deluca nearly to death.   Alex would still be facing charges if he hit him hard enough once or twice to break his nose or a hand.  Having Alex practically turn him into a peice of meat seems unrealistic ... and like Greys Anatomy's usual overkill.  

• Love 11

I can't imagine Alex will go to jail for any length of time. 90% of the show takes place at the hospital and having him in jail leaves him pretty much off the show. Since no one in the history of the show has ever received real life level punishment I just can't see them starting that in S13.  I do want consequences though. Counseling with probation and even  some kind of suspension from treating patients for a period of time would work if they give him some other job within the hospital to keep him there and in the story. I'm definitely curious to see how its handled. The way its set up they can't just sweep it under the rug as they've done in the past.

Seriously.  I want Alex to face consequences, and it looks like he definitely will.  But since this is a show where Izzie basically killed someone and half of the hospital BEGGED her to come back, where Bailey went against the wishes of parents and was heralded, and where Maggie punched a patient's mother in the face and got high-fived (just to name a few off the top of my head), I don't need this show to suddenly become Law & Order: Sexy Hospital Unit or HBO's next gritty crime drama.  Of course, something unrealistic will happen to get Alex back to the hospital.  But, it looks like he is going to suffer professional consequence even if he doesn't end up in jail.  If nothing else he will be ostracized throughout the hospital.  At least until the next natural catastrophe comes sweeping through.

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 10
40 minutes ago, BaseOps said:

Yeah I thought there was sympathy for DeLuca. He's going to have plenty of people on his side going forward.. Alex (deservingly) not so much.

Who are these wonderful folksy Kepners that April was gushing about in her scene? Certainly not the gaggle of shrill redheads that we've actually seen on the show - and whom April seemed to rightly detest!

Edited by flickers
  • Love 17

Ugh, you've confirmed my fears. Yes, he shoudl suffer consequences but someone should be there for him. He deserves that. They've all done some pretty shitty things themselves.

Which is why I loved Alex/Mer's platonic relationship. When she showed up at the jail cell I felt like that was the only non-BS honest relationship so far in this episode. She told him she told Bailey and he understood. They are definitely their persons to each other.

This episode had a lot of BS, I guess the theme of this episode is secrets and lies. Because everyone seems to keep something from someone. And ugh, I wonder how long they'll drag Wilson's secret. Sweeps? Funny, how Alex eventually decided to be an adult and not "run away" from the cops while Jo's first insitinct was to run. Oh god, I hate how she drags that secret forever when she could just say it and it would explain a lot of  things. Stop playing games and just say it.

and I found Catherine to be downright scary with her new granddaughter

Which is why I kind of liked how April was messing with her in terms of the names and made it clear that while Jackson is "her baby", Harriet is April's baby. I think she might be able to handle Catherine's presence.

• Love 4

Oh Alex. Oh my poor Alex. Seriously (and I'll chew him out don't worry), this poor guy gets the short end of the stick all the time, he just wants normal, and he never gets it. And as people have said sooo many people have done so much equal-worse and it's all pooh pooh, it's okay, Alex's one major booboo and he's in jail and everyone is going all "Shame, Shame Shame.". Izzy cut a fucking LVAD wire. Bailey fucking injected HIV into a kid after the parents said no and let Edwards lie about it to save her career. Chief (if he gets all saintly and morally) fucking operated on people and turned them yellow while drunk. No one has any legs to stand on. 

And - to give credit where it is due, I honestly believe that Alex believed that DeLuca was raping Jo (it really seemed to me when it clued in to him that DeLuca didn't, he decided to do the right thing and turn himself in). That's how I saw it if I'm wrong on that - then Alex, seriously babe, Jo  - not worth. really. 

There was a show I can't remember where someone said "it wasn't my truth to tell." and that's how i felt with Maggie all "you lied to me" poutface. It wasn't Meredith's place to tell her about Alex hurting DeLuca when Meredith was hoping that Alex would do the right thing and turn himself in. (OR she tells Bailey first, AND THEN she tells Maggie). and this whole stupid Nathan/Maggie/Meredith thing. like why? why even go there. just use your words. "I slept with Nathan before you told me, I think there's something there, but if you like him, I'll step back the end." see. how difficult is that. not everything has to be Drama, show. 

• Love 10
37 minutes ago, clarkbar said:

Interesting opinions, everyone.  I'm ok with Maggie, Alex needs to suffer the consequences, and I found Catherine to be downright scary with her new granddaughter.  That's all I've got.

...was I the only one that thought that Catherine was going to run off with the baby and steal her from April when she was arguing about Avery vs Kepner and kept pushing April to rest and wouldn't let her hold her baby? Because I totally wouldn't be surprised if that's where it went eventually. Watch out for Mama Avery, April, and keep a close eye on your daughter.

• Love 8

Shut up, Maggie! I officially hate her. She's been Mere's sister for what 2 years? Their relationship is so forced. If they are as close as Maggie thinks, she'd understand why Mere didn't tell her. 

It wasn't about you. I completely understand why Mere didn't turn in Alex right away. 

I feel bad for Deluca and Alex. Obviously, Alex needs anger management but I can understand why he did it. It doesn't excuse it but I get it. 

You can hate what he did and still be there for him during the trial. (Ugh, I do not want to watch a trial.)

Loved the April Catherine scene and how April didn't back down. I also loved the scene with Mere and Alex at the jail.

Huge yes to what Deanie said. Other people have done just as bad things and they moved heaven and earth to be on their side. 

@chick binewski I'll join you in your corner starting tonight.

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, redfish said:

Funny, how Alex eventually decided to be an adult and not "run away" from the cops while Jo's first insitinct was to run. Oh god, I hate how she drags that secret forever when she could just say it and it would explain a lot of  things. Stop playing games and just say it.

The situations aren't really the same though (and Alex's first instinct was to lie and then to run.)  He would have been running away from a crime that he just committed.  Besides feeling guilty for a situation that wasn't her fault (and whatever you think of Jo, the DeLuca mess is ALL on Alex), she has one semi-friend at the hospital, just lost her (sometimes) professional mentor, has absolutely no familial support and basically just got called a slut who is incapable of love or commitment by her boyfriend.  I mean, I would probably peace out of that hellhole myself.  I'm not defending Jo about keeping her secret about her husband (although I don't think she is playing games or being malicious about it either), but I don't think its fair to lay all of this at her feet.   Alex, being a grown man, should know better than to beat the shit out of someone without bothering to get all the facts. 

• Love 10

While I enjoy Meredith's interactions with Alex, and Miranda and Richard which hardly ever happen now, she has become rather unlikable to me. Not that I care about the dumb twu wuv triangle in the slightest, but she just agreed to not lie to her sister and then lies to her anyway. How is Nathan even worth it? I don't see what the big deal is about him, anyway, except for the fact that he was shoehorned in as a male replacement for McDreamy. Him and Meredith's whatever they are and will be is a matter of convenience, not because they so undeniably belong together. I guess I would just rather see Meredith be the mother hen to her children and the hospital. And I don't know that she's that great of a friend to Alex anymore, or anyone really. 

I'm just over her. An unpopular opinion, I'm sure.

• Love 9

I really dislike the fact that Alex finally gets a storyline, only to have him do something horrible and end up in jail. I don't believe the current Alex would beat a man almost to death; break his nose or hit him once maybe, but this vicious beating was way over the top. Of course it took Jo forever to actually get out the words that nothing happened (I know she was drunk). I agree Alex needs to be punished and I feel very sorry for DeLuca, but I just hate the whole story.

I have come to realize I have disliked Meredith for several seasons now. She walks around very judgmental with a frown on her face and also acts like a martyr. Of course no one on TV tells anyone anything. Could she not have just said to Maggie "I'm sorry and I didn't know you liked Riggs but we have been seeing each other and I don't know where it is going yet." No, she has to just tell him to get lost. I'm sure this will end up with the two of them becoming overcome with lust and making out in a storage room where Maggie will show up and find them. 

I like April and Jackson and feel good she is standing up to Catherine. Harriett is my 82 year old aunt's name and she has always hated it. I guess a lot of old time names are coming back. Cute baby.

• Love 8

Wow. That was far better than I was expecting. God I felt so bad this episode, for nearly everyone. 

Alex and Jo, oh my word, we wished for storylines, we wished for drama - we sure are getting it. I'm so heartbroken for them, both of them. Poor Jo, she was just in hell all episode. Im very glad she had Webber to lean on, I hope they continue that relationship as he is perfect for her right now. Poor girl, she really has no one :(. That jolex scene killed me, I was screaming at her to defend herself but she's so guilt ridden (unjustly so) and believes she's worthless so it's pretty in character for her to just take what Alex is throwing at her. I hope she finds her voice soon, and I actually think she will.

im glad they didn't drag out the 'did Jo sleep with deluca' too long that would've been painful. Oh Alex, Justin chambers was amazing tonight! I felt awful for him, he's so hurt and I just want them to work it out! Meredith was also great tonight which was a pleasant surprise. I felt her inner torment a lot as well.

lol Maggie can just STFU as far as I'm concerned, how she managed to turn deluca getting beaten up into a self righteous rant to Meredith and make it about HER blows my mind. God I can't stand her. So intrigued for next week!! And once this trial mess is over I'm sure they'll dive more into Alex/Jo. Also the triangle, Maggie really isn't doing herself any favour in my opinion of her, god it's so childish!! I like Meredith and Riggs and I hope he keeps fighting for her!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

Am I the only one who thinks Maggie was being ridiculous: "you knew all day about Alex and you didn't tell me?"  It's not about you, Maggie! At all!  

I rolled my eyes so hard at that, since it was obviously to set up Mer 'sacrificing' her chance with that guy so her sister wouldn't distrust her even more.  

I don't think he'll actually go to jail. He's white its his first offense (unless he has another old charge that we've never been told about) and most importantly he thought Jo was being attacked. Honestly once he says that the DA will be trying to cut a deal. Can you see a jury convicting the hero peds surgeon who thought he was protecting his girlfriend?  At worst he might get something like thirty days. Most likely he'll have to do some serious community service and anger management. Since it happened outside work I can't see how it would affect his career. DeLucca could still decline to press charges even. Of course this is Shondaland so who knows.

Maggie was being a little OTT but that's in character. I hope she chills out on this though. Mere didn't put Alex above Maggie. She just didn't chose Maggie over Alex either. Alex needed her more tonight that was all it was.

• Love 1

Among the most cohesive season premieres Grey's has ever had. I find Catherine Avery too often insufferable, but Ms. Debbie Allen clearly runs this ship tighter than it's been run since Rhimes was giving it her undivided attention. No one was out of character -- actions were motivated --the teleplay was focused -- and the dialogue was truthful without being on-the-nose. This episode pointed towards a character-driven season, particularly with regard to Alex and Meredith, the show's two most emotionally rich players, and suggested plenty of narrative threads for ongoing exploration. Very impressive for a series that premiered in 2005. 

• Love 11
4 hours ago, LexieLily said:

...was I the only one that thought that Catherine was going to run off with the baby and steal her from April when she was arguing about Avery vs Kepner and kept pushing April to rest and wouldn't let her hold her baby? Because I totally wouldn't be surprised if that's where it went eventually. Watch out for Mama Avery, April, and keep a close eye on your daughter.

Yes! That's exactly what I was thinking. 

Hate Catherine

• Love 2

I..don't know how I feel about this episode. I do know that DeLuca may be the only character I like anymore. Seriously, when his first instinct when hearing it was Jo in his room was, "Jo, are you okay?" Like..aw. I have neutral feelings on him before, but he's a good guy. It kind of ticks me off, first that Alex would think he would hurt Jo and then that Meredith was all, "I wanted Edwards to be lying" WTF? I kind of hate all these people. Seriously, what was that? I guess the arguing point is that Meredith and Alex don't know him well enough, but from their interactions with him, I would think they wouldn't be so quick to judge. 

And I like Alex, but..I hate this storyline. It makes me dislike Jo, and it's making me dislike Alex because I really, really hate that Alex's first thought was that Deluca would harm Jo or take advantage of her. And I mean.. since gossip in the hospital travels like wildfire, wouldn't the reason that DeLuca broke up with Maggie be all over the hospital? It wasn't because he didn't want to date her, it was because Maggie was making it awkward, right? Or am I missing it I honestly don't really remember? I would think information like that would color this whole situation in a different light. 

I hate this whole storyline. I really do. I'm all for Alex having a meaty storyline and something to do, he hasn't been in focus on this since when he ratted out Mer about messing with Derek's trial..like four seasons ago and the whole guilt storyline he felt for causing issues with Zola/Derek/Mer but the fact that it's this? Makes me so mad. Also.. yes, like another poster said, why did the beating have to be so overkill? DeLuca's so injured he can never be a doctor again? Why couldn't Alex just have hit him once.. why the need to make it so the stakes are so unbelievably high that if Alex doesn't get into the right amount of trouble for this- because realistically, if he did mess up DeLuca's chances at being a doctor, which the show said he did many times tonight, then Alex would be a lot of trouble- then yeah, I'm going to be angry at that too. I know it's tv but.. it's stupid to make it like this. DeLuca still could have been harmed and pressing charges if he was hurt, but this? This is why the show makes me angry.  I want to feel bad for Alex because I like him, but.. "we are the bad guys" yes, you and Alex are, Meredith. 

I'm more angry about this episode than I was about the episodes where Callie was taking Sophia away from Arizona and couldn't understand why Arizona would be angry. 

• Love 6

I did like they didn't have Ben tell Bailey that Alex was the one to beat DeLuca up. It's going to be awkward for Arizona when she comes back. 

I sort of get were Maggie was coming from her perspective it did look like Meredith was covering this up for Alex. She lost me with the whole sister thing though.

I was glad that by the end of the episode the truth was known and Alex was taken into custody.  Who knows in tv land if he will serve time but I hope he gets real therapy as he has too much anger. Personally, I have always found Alex scary.  I know he is a tv character but I have always had a pit in my stomach anytime his coworkers, friends or girlfriends (sometimes even patients) had to tell him something bad as he seemed like a time bomb.  In recent years, this feeling relaxed some as Alex seemed to start to take bad news without blowing up but now he goes way over the top and adults Deluca.  I will be disappointed if Jo goes back with Alex after witnessing his blind rage, she always seemed a little afraid of Alex so I this confirms to her how violent he can be.

Maggie is just so self-absorbed.  It does no good for Mer to spread what she knew as then more people just have the ethical dilemma of tell/not tell.  The way that Bailey took what her husband had suspicions about was the mature way to realize that adults need time to process the dilemma before they act.  Maggie was acting like she was Deluca's spouse and somehow personally hurt by Deluca being injured was too much.  There didn't seem to be much real concern for him.

Edited by fountain

When Maggie told Meredith to never lie to her again, I was hoping Meredith would have said, "You're right. No more lying or withholding the truth. So, I will tell you that Nathan and I have feelings for each other and we're attracted to each other, and I think we're going to pursue a relationship." Granted, it wouldn't have been good timing, but what the hell, might as way lay the cards on the table. I truly wish Meredith had said something. I know this is a soap opera and a triangle based on misunderstanding and unsaid feelings is a staple, but it's frustrating. Additionally, when Nathan showed up, I was also hoping that Meredith might have said to him, "Look, my sister is really interested in you." Yes, that puts Nathan in the hot seat, but at least he'd be clear as to what was going on. Maggie is so socially inept - she is awful at reading people and has so much trouble speaking in a coherent, adult manner that pretty much anything she hears or anything she says is usually misinterpreted. So now we have Meredith pushing Nathan away (even though she actually likes him), and Nathan having no clue that Maggie fancies him as well. Great.

It also frustrated the hell out of me that Jo was unable to get one complete sentence out of her mouth to anyone about anything. At this point, I just want her to type the following on an iPad and show it to ANYONE: "I was VERY drunk and upset. DeLuca took me home to make sure I got there safely. I was so drunk that as I started getting undressed, I fell and he tried to catch me. I was NOT trying to have sex with him. He was NOT trying to have sex with me. At all. For any reason. NO ONE WAS TRYING TO HAVE SEX." She doesn't have to divulge her big secret, but she DOES need to make it clear to SOMEONE that DeLuca was not trying to rape her, nor was it an attempt at consensual sex. It was neither. It was NOTHING. But of course, she won't say anything, so despite what DeLuca says, people will put two and two together and get five.

Speaking of Jo, the actress looks a little different. I know this sounds weird, but to me, she looks as if she's "grown up." Her face looks a little fuller, a little more mature.

• Love 10

It also frustrated the hell out of me that Jo was unable to get one complete sentence out of her mouth to anyone about anything. At this point, I just want her to type the following on an iPad and show it to ANYONE: "I was VERY drunk and upset. DeLuca took me home to make sure I got there safely. I was so drunk that as I started getting undressed, I fell and he tried to catch me. I was NOT trying to have sex with him. He was NOT trying to have sex with me. At all. For any reason. NO ONE WAS TRYING TO HAVE SEX." She doesn't have to divulge her big secret, but she DOES need to make it clear to SOMEONE that DeLuca was not trying to rape her, nor was it an attempt at consensual sex. It was neither. It was NOTHING. But of course, she won't say anything, so despite what DeLuca says, people will put two and two together and get five.

Unrealistic TV Trope #342: Character A commits an action. Character B walks in and misinterprets the action. Character B spends the entire episode maintaining this misinterpretation. Character A will actually engage in conversation with Character B over the situation but inexplicably make no attempt to speak a full sentence to explain the action and correct the misinterpretation. Multiple lives ruined as result.

• Love 15