Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Everything's Coming Up Lucifer

On 20.9.2016 at 4:06 AM, ParadoxLost said:

I barked out a laugh at the final musical montage.

Do you think they realized Lucifer was singing the cylon introduction music?

They definitely knew what they were doing. As soon as All Along the Watchtower started, I thought 'here comes Mom'. Thanks to whoever suggested this for the geek-out moment of the day.

On 20.9.2016 at 4:11 AM, storyskip said:

I actually like the perspective Ella brings but I hope they use her sparingly. 

Sparingly being the feature word. It's only her first ep and I'm already experiencing the first cases of being irked.

On 20.9.2016 at 9:51 AM, GaT said:

I can't believe that they didn't fix her makeup, she still looks like she's dead & the dark undereye circles are still as prominent as they were last year. 

So glad this show is back, but why is Dan back? I was happy to see what I thought was the end of his character last season. The lame ass story they thought up for him to be back on the force is ridiculous. 

It was good to see Dan having eaten a bit of humble pie and knowing he's only there to help, but then he just had to go and ask Chloe if she would prefer her daughter's father to be in jail. Newsflash, douche: you managed to screw up all by yourself and tried to take down your wife with you. When did you ever think about your daughter?

I actually think if Dan was played by an actor not that well-liked and if it didn't have an impact on Trixie they would have to address that would take away from the main story, he would have gone down with Malcolm at the end of last season.

13 hours ago, GaT said:

Her makeup drives me crazy. I bitched about it all last season & was really expecting that someone on the show would have noticed & had it fixed for this season but no, she looks just as bad as last year. Her foundation is too pale & chalky looking, & they rim her eyes so that they look even more sunken & how can they not cover up those undereye circles? Her makeup is so bad it's distracting, I have to remind myself to listen to what she's saying instead of staring at her face.

Same here. I'm either staring at her eyebrows trying to apply the Pythagoras theorem or am appalled by her make-up. Couldn't they find someone who knows how to make her look like a normal human being over the summer? The rest of the cast aren't being made up like corpses, why her?

14 hours ago, BooBear said:

I am just going with a theory that like the Sixth Sense at the end of the series we will find out Chloe is dead and just doesn't know it. :)

Nah, I knew he was dead right off the bat in the movie and I don't get that from Chloe. But maybe my 'surprise-twist'-fu is off ;-)

• Love 1

This was the first episode of this show I've ever watched (thanks to the buzz I heard about it). I thought it was generally pleasant, but what sold me was the song. I kept thinking "Damn, that's a good version; I've got to pick that up somewhere." Color me surprised when it turned out to be the main character! If he sings on a regular basis, I'm definitely in!

How essential is it for me to go back and watch the first season? I don't feel lost or anything.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, rue721 said:

There has GOT to be a plot-based reason why she looks like death warmed over. Everyone else looks fantastic, and I can't imagine that the problem is that Lauren German is just exceptionally difficult to do makeup for.

But honestly, I don't even have any theories at this point about what's supernatural about Chloe. Hopefully we get some kind of clue this season, though!

I'm really starting to wonder.... we know that being in proximity to Chloe makes Lucifer 'mortal', right?  What if - whatever it is she turns out to be (if she is a supernatural being, or at least a descendant of one-half her parents) - Chloe is losing her 'special-ness' around Lucifer too?  IE, something about the others' presence affects the other in a not-great way, in the physical sense.  If this happens to be it, there's going to have to be a work-a-round, or they won't even be able to work together anymore, let alone further their personal relationship later on.

1 hour ago, Miss Dee said:

How essential is it for me to go back and watch the first season? I don't feel lost or anything.

Since you don't feel lost, I wouldn't say its 100% essential, but imagine what you saw tonight and multiply that times 13;  the number of episodes you've missed in S1.  And you get to see where the characters started at and progressed to where they are, if you start at the beginning and binge S1.  I, for one, don't feel as if it was a real waste of ~550 minutes of my life.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Miss Dee said:

This was the first episode of this show I've ever watched (thanks to the buzz I heard about it). I thought it was generally pleasant, but what sold me was the song. I kept thinking "Damn, that's a good version; I've got to pick that up somewhere." Color me surprised when it turned out to be the main character! If he sings on a regular basis, I'm definitely in!

I would suggest watching the episodes in which Tom Ellis sings, since you seemed to enjoy that.  My favorite was the one where he sang Nina Simone's Sinnerman, excerpted here from Episode 1x06 "Favorite son":

Edited by atomationage
apostophes confuse me
  • Love 2

One thing I'm wondering about, why would Mum need a recently-vacated human body to occupy? She's not a dead human soul who used to have one like Malcolm was, and Lucifer, Amenadiel, and Mazikeen appear to have no difficulty generating their very own physical forms when they come to earth. I'd have assumed something even further up the food chain would have no difficulty doing so—gods traditionally appear in whatever shape they choose.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

One thing I'm wondering about, why would Mum need a recently-vacated human body to occupy? She's not a dead human soul who used to have one like Malcolm was, and Lucifer, Amenadiel, and Mazikeen appear to have no difficulty generating their very own physical forms when they come to earth. I'd have assumed something even further up the food chain would have no difficulty doing so—gods traditionally appear in whatever shape they choose.

She's in hiding. I think that she probably has the ability to look like herself/however she wants, but she has pretty compelling reasons for laying low right now.

Judging from how Lucifer acted while trying to "unmask" her, it seems like she's not easily recognizable while in a human vessel.

I have to say, I didn't understand what they were going for when they had Amenadiel's powers stop working in that scene in the precinct. Because it seemed everyone else was still frozen except for Amenadiel and that one cop who asked him what he was doing there, I thought that meant there was someone else in the room that had powers to override or control Amenadiel's. I was looking around the room to see who might come forth. I thought it would be their mom, or one of the new characters I'd vaguely heard were going to be starting on the show.

So I didn't realize they just meant that Amenadiel's powers weren't working well, until the final scene where he's trying them out and they falter a bit. Then I got it. But before that, I was confused about what happened in the precinct. 

I'd recommend watching the first season, simply because it was a lot of fun and Lucifer was really entertaining as a character. I've already watched the first season twice, and some specific episodes more than that, because they're just so fun to watch.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Sonja said:

They definitely knew what they were doing. As soon as All Along the Watchtower started, I thought 'here comes Mom'. Thanks to whoever suggested this for the geek-out moment of the day.

I wasn't spoiled so I didn't know who was cast for the role of mom so when the door opened and it was Tricia Helfer, I died laughing.  Good job, show! 

As to what makes Chloe special in that Lucifer is mortal around her, besides being an atheist and immune to some of Lucifer's celestial charms, I think he genuinely likes and respects her and she's the one person he'd do something selfless for, as he did in the season finale.  If Father Frank had lived I wonder if he'd have the same effect on Lucifer. 

So what's up with Amenadiel, why is his time-slowing ability going wonky?  Is it because he has human feelings for someone, namely a demon?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, GreyBunny said:

As to what makes Chloe special in that Lucifer is mortal around her, besides being an atheist and immune to some of Lucifer's celestial charms, I think he genuinely likes and respects her and she's the one person he'd do something selfless for, as he did in the season finale.  If Father Frank had lived I wonder if he'd have the same effect on Lucifer. 

But wasn't Luci vulnerable/mortal in Chloe's presence prior to her becoming important to him?  (IE: before they'd spent so much time together that she would've become liked and respected by him.)  I can't recall.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, fastiller said:

But wasn't Luci vulnerable/mortal in Chloe's presence prior to her becoming important to him?  (IE: before they'd spent so much time together that she would've become liked and respected by him.)  I can't recall.

No.   She didn't affect him in Pilot.   It was a bit later on. 

4 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Just a thought, but the brothers are angels and perhaps "designed" by their Father to have a corporeal form that can interact with humans.  They haven't really explained what a demon is (only that they do not seem to be fallen angels but rather something else entirely), but perhaps for some reason they too were created with a corporeal form.  Mum on the other hand is a completely celestial being (implied by the show that she has always existed and was not created) and therefore has no default corporeal form.  Just as the Father doesn't appear on earth perhaps she can't either without taking a body.  I'm actually surprised (no actually I'm not, because it probably would make people who already hate the show for it's main character go apoplectic) that Lucifer hasn't made a comment about Jesus and his relationship to the Father.  Was Jesus (in terms of the shows Cosmology) just the Father taking a sabbatical on earth using the body of a Jewish carpenter or is Jesus a separate entity?  Or something in between?  Is Mum the Holy Ghost since the Holy Ghost is sometime viewed as the female aspect of God?  I'm probably asking too much of a procedural with a twist on FOX to answer those questions, but they are interesting questions.  And I am certainly more interested in the supernatural aspects of the show then the procedural ones.  I knew the second Chloe said the prior dealer had being selling prescription drugs it was the landlady who made a point of mentioning she was a nurse.  I'll give Chloe credit for figuring it out without Lucifer, but the fact that she needed rose fertilizer to get there instead of, "Hey, you know who has access to powerful prescription narcotics and had a connection to the set and the murder victim...her landlady," kind of made me want to slap her.

I really like the supernatural characters and I like Chloe to an extent, but the actual mysteries really need to be a bit better or the show needs pivot away from them.  The only ones that have been the least bit compelling are the ones that were directly connected to Lucifer (the pilot, the theft of his wings, the young girl getting murdered in a seeming sacrifice to the Devil) and Father Frank because he connected with Lucifer.  None of the other characters tied solely to the case of the week have been interesting.  I was kind of hoping they'd fix that this year, but they haven't yet.  So here's hoping that either the cases of the week get more interesting or they they bring Chloe into the supernatural know and mostly jettison them in favor of focusing on the supernatural stuff...And fix Chloe's makeup because Jeez.  You'd think the actress would have complained at this point. 

Edited by Proclone
because I do know how to spell corporeal
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Sonja said:

It was good to see Dan having eaten a bit of humble pie and knowing he's only there to help, but then he just had to go and ask Chloe if she would prefer her daughter's father to be in jail. Newsflash, douche: you managed to screw up all by yourself and tried to take down your wife with you. When did you ever think about your daughter?

I hate Dan.  He's an ass, especially after he tried to gaslight his ex-wife...again.  He can die anytime and I won't miss him.  Trixie is better off without that creep.

Not a fan of the new lab tech either, after just a few lines she got on my nerves.

I hope they just let Chloe accept Lucifer as is, a helpful guy with a weird persona who can do strange things sometimes; just "needing the eggs" as it were.  If they do have her find out I hope it'll be something that can be resolved in one or two episodes, any longer than that and it becomes stale.

• Love 3
On 9/20/2016 at 10:47 AM, Andrew Wiggin said:

Its the Tunes of All Along the Watchtower a Cover of that was used in BSG the Show Tricia Helfer (Lucis Mom) Promintly Stared ^^

For those interested here's the Bear McCreary version, which is probably my favorite of all of them.

• Love 4

(For some reason, I don't have the multi quote option today, so, in random order)

I must me the only viewer happy with Chloe looking as she does. Yes, some people have dark circles. Because they work long hours and also take time to clean up, cook, spend quality time with a daughter, worry about the impact a deadbeat father could have on said daughter, like to watch Netflix until late at time once daughter is in bed, get up extra early to exercice before said daughter is up, and a million other reasons. I never even thought there might be other out-of-this-worls reasons before I came here :D and found it refreshing that, although she's gorgeous, she has tiny weaknesses. I'm tired of perfectly made up policemen and women...

It's a rare show when I like the main character. Lucifer is gold, and my other two favs are Maze and Dr Linda, and any combination of these three totally works for me.

Interesting theory about Amenadude loosing some power because he's feeling human.  emotions, same as why Lucifer lost some. He could also be because he seriously embraced the dark side, during his "all means justify the end" trip.

No feeling about Mom yet, we'll see. The new ME slightly bugs, because so far she seems more like a character to advance the plot, but I trust that the show runners will give her depth.

To the poster who hasn't seen season 1: watch it, you're in for a treat. Discovery of Lucifer character, the club, introduction of Dr. Linda, Maze, Trixie, Lucifer singing, Chloe being a good detective, the dynamic of their working together, brothers interaction, and of course the WINGS. It's funny, because of all the new shows I started watching last year, I never expected that this one would pull me in so much. It's really fun, and the cast really works for me. 

Also, Sinnerman sung by the main actor is exquisite, poignant and relevant to the story. There's not singing in every episode, but the music is consistently excellent, and while it's fitting it's not too on the nose, so I kept getting positively surprised. Thanks to a poster (who I am immensely grateful to) who kept track of it, I've downloaded quite a few!

So I'd say watch season 1 at your own pace, but watch it all.

The wait is going to be taxing - I binge watched the first season and now will have to learn PATIENCE. At least I'll be able to comment here more often :)     

• Love 7

I notice also Chloe hair needed to be dyed blonde again-big time.  Maybe, they just did not notice how bad her hair was!!  I doubt it was planned!

If being atheist made Lucifer power not work.  He have no power in the city of angels, with the general level of godlessness out there.  When did they say Chloe was an atheist??

How close does Lucifer has to be to Chloe for his powers not to work?  Was his powers NOT working at the murders house because Chloe was close OR for another reason??

Does the person playing Lucifer sing his owns songs or are they dubbed in for the sure?

I don't remember all along the watch tower from BSG.  Can someone refresh my memory on that song and how it fit into BSG??

LG has always been a pretty thin and petite lady.  Even in real life! 

Maze seemed pretty worried about mom.  Since,  she tortured mom in hell.  Did she do that on Lucifer orders or on her own??

Edited by gwhh
On 22.9.2016 at 0:47 PM, NutMeg said:

I must me the only viewer happy with Chloe looking as she does. Yes, some people have dark circles. Because they work long hours and also take time to clean up, cook, spend quality time with a daughter, worry about the impact a deadbeat father could have on said daughter, like to watch Netflix until late at time once daughter is in bed, get up extra early to exercice before said daughter is up, and a million other reasons. I never even thought there might be other out-of-this-worls reasons before I came here :D and found it refreshing that, although she's gorgeous, she has tiny weaknesses. I'm tired of perfectly made up policemen and women...

I'm all for people on TV and in movies looking like a normal person, but Chloe looks artificially undead. It's such a bad make-up job that it's distracting from the dialogue. I had the same issue with Chris Evans in The Avengers where the weird metallic blue eyeliner that probably should have made him look wide-eyed and awake or his eyes whiter but irked me to the point of distraction, no matter how much I loved the movie.

8 hours ago, gwhh said:

Does the person playing Lucifer sing his owns songs or are they dubbed in for the sure?

I don't remember all along the watch tower from BSG.  Can someone refresh my memory on that song and how it fit into BSG??

Yes, this is Tom Ellis singing.

I wish I had the time to re-watch, it's been too long. In Spoiler tags for those who still have the series on their watchlists.

Spoiler

IIRC four people started hearing snippets of All Along the Watchtower on and off. At some point they are compelled to go to the same room where they combine the parts and realise they are actually cylones.

At the end of the ep, the entire song (by Bear McCreary who is doing music for a lot of TV shows) is playing. It has become my favourite version which is quite a feat considering the writer/original artist and how many versions there are out there.

• Love 1

I can't put my hand on the article right now but I remember during Season One there was a lot of speculation about Ellis actually playing the piano and singing.

In the article he confirms that it is him singing (Sinnerman, at the party, now Watchtower obviously) and that he loves to get to sing but that he does NOT play the piano.  

• Love 3

Oh, show, you are back and I am one happy little camper! This episode was hilarious indeed and I love all the comments, but never having watched BSG (except for the glorious original and a few clips of the reboot online, which I hated), I did not get the Cylon connection in the slightest. And perhaps y'all are right to connect it, but I just got that "All Along the Watchtower", one of my favorite songs ever, was cued into the overall vibe of the show. Doomy, gloomy, warning, ominous... for me it didn't need any spurious or superfluous linkage to be slammin' effective. YMMV, clearly...

• Love 3

The 2 week wait is because of the Presidential debate. Some doofus, still living in the 60's (before cable) imagines that if every network shows the debates then we will all have to watch them. Sadly for the doofus, there are hundreds of other cable channels now, so we won't be forced the watch the debates.

• Love 3
On 9/19/2016 at 10:17 PM, johntfs said:

I need my Trixie fix.  Tonight was awesome.  Dan was... there.  Maze was adorable getting some light torture on.  Amenadiel was losing his stuff, but Lucifer's still got it.  The new M.E. was cool and Jessica Sula was smoking hot.  But.  I need my Trixie fix.

Jessica Sula was the YUMMMMMM.  So sad she won't be back!

On 9/20/2016 at 9:51 AM, shrewd.buddha said:

I can easily imagine these same characters going through the same motions for multiple seasons. 

You say that like it's a Bad Thing!

On 9/21/2016 at 0:38 PM, sinkwriter said:

I have to say, I didn't understand what they were going for when they had Amenadiel's powers stop working in that scene in the precinct. Because it seemed everyone else was still frozen except for Amenadiel and that one cop who asked him what he was doing there, I thought that meant there was someone else in the room that had powers to override or control Amenadiel's.

I thought the unfrozen cop was special somehow.

On 9/21/2016 at 6:59 PM, johntfs said:

For those interested here's the Bear McCreary version, which is probably my favorite of all of them.

It's not Jimi 

But it's not bad (I tried to find a good video of Dylan singing his own song, without avail).

• Love 2

Damn, I really thought the mother is the new ME. Fail on that one. :)
I am really uninterested in the wardrobe of Chloe, it's nice to see such a gorgeous person actually looking quite normal. I would not mind having her NOT her best hair, makeup and clothes. When did we get used to every female character looking amazing at every time, regardless of their character role?

The mom... surprised me.

Interesting bit about the Amendiel powers.

Honestly, it was fun that it is Linda that is helping Maze but waaaay too predictable.
Well, I can't wait for tomorrow. :)

• Love 1

The feather having anything to do with Amenadiels "fall" would take Amenadiel backward several steps imo. Then he could go back to his mindset last season that Lucifer is to blame for everything, and that would be bad. Amenadiel at this point still is being somewhat his deceptive self, with the way he spun the tale that Lucifer is acting/delusional to Chloe in this episode. He could have done nothing, but he's choosing to get involved. Yeah he thinks he's doing the right thing, but, he's still being dishonest on a level Lucifer wouldn't be.   

• Love 1

They shouldn't. The wings are from PRIOR the fall.

That's true, but Lucifer cut them off, so maybe they've been tainted in some way?

But Amenadiel has done plenty of stuff that could be causing his own downfall, so I guess we'll see what the big reason is soon enough. One thing I like about the writers' approach is that they don't seem to waste too much time. They covered quite a bit in season 1, so I hope they won't leave us hanging too long before we find out why Amenadiel is having trouble with his wings and his powers.

No matter what, I really liked that moment Amenadiel had in front of the mirror. Him struggling over the state of his wings gave me chills.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 1