Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Meet the Parents

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

Why isn't Michelle or Jim Bob planning Joy and the boy twins' graduation party?  I'm sure it's just for the show, but those two can't be bothered to do anything. Michelle bragged about being the appointment person and calendar planner, let's see her put those planning skills to use and actually pay attention to a non-courting kid.   

That is more of a rhetorical question - they just don't care and have more "important" things to do.

Edited by birkenstock
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Jinger meets Jeremy's parents when she goes to Laredo, Texas, with her mom and dad. Meanwhile, Joy takes her first flying lesson; and Jana plans a graduation party for three siblings

Poor Jana.

1 hour ago, Aja said:

I am currently dog/house sitting for people who have cable. Tonight I will partake in my very first episode of Counting On. What a season of life.

Alcohol and/or caffeine can be useful. 

• Love 10

Ooooh, I have some coffee ice cream. Maybe a trip to the liquor store for some Kahlua is in order!

As for that "flying lesson" Joy is getting, FAKE! Someone on FJ looked up JD's licensure, and he is not listed as an instructor. 

Again, they are such liar-faces (TM Vicki Gunvalson). 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Ooooh, I have some coffee ice cream. Maybe a trip to the liquor store for some Kahlua is in order!

As for that "flying lesson" Joy is getting, FAKE! Someone on FJ looked up JD's licensure, and he is not listed as an instructor. 

Sign me up for the coffee ice cream.  I will bring Kahlua for all - yum yum

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Aja said:

Duly noted. Drippy sundae with Baileys.

Sounds great, Aja.  Perhaps my headship and I can watch it tonight and have a little drinking game...any time we hear, neat, super, special, or any variation of season of life, we'lltake a sip ..I don't think taking a shot would be too healthy for us. Only those staying home, should play this game.

• Love 3

I would imagine so. Are there any genuine moments on this show ever anymore? The fucking proposal is at least scripted, if not necessarily re-enacted (at least I hope not!). I guess the wedding is the only thing that they don't get to do over.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Sounds great, Aja.  Perhaps my headship and I can watch it tonight and have a little drinking game...any time we hear, neat, super, special, or any variation of season of life, we'lltake a sip ..I don't think taking a shot would be too healthy for us. Only those staying home, should play this game.

Arwen, I'm fifteen minutes in and if you and your headship actually did this, you're both unconscious right now.

Edited by Aja
  • Love 14

Could Jeremy possibly have been more over-the-top in his reaction to Jinger's gift?  

I figured out what's off on Jeremy's face.  His teeth are off-center--they're all shifted to the left side of his face (the right side as he faces the camera).  

"My dad is not trying to slow the relationship down in any way."  I literally laughed out loud!

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, Katydid said:

Jerm kinda gives off a creeper vibe. All those photos of them in his apartment were a bit extreme. And Jinger acting like his apartment was the Taj Mahal or something. 

Considering Jinger has never had any space of her own | can see why she was excited, he gets to live by himself and all that space is his all his no sharing.

• Love 12

Wait just a damn minute here!!  I know you all are ahead of me as I'm only 7 minutes in.  However, no one's math adds the fuck up.  During packing, Jinger said they have been courting for 3 weeks.  Cut to Jeremy getting out of SUV with his parents saying they have been long distance for 2 weeks.  Cut to him giving her the world's saddest cup of flowers and he says  "Happy Two months!"    What in the fuck??

And does Jeremy realize how stupid he looks walking with his parents like he is a teen on his first friggin date??

• Love 18

Jeremy’s parents seem nice.  I wonder how they really feel about all of this.  I noticed that Michelle was caressing Jeremy’s arm.  She seems very comfortable with him. We know she likes Ben; but for whatever reason, she keeps her distance from Derick.   

Every time Jinger talked about moving to Laredo and away from her family, her eyes lit up. 

Derick’s mother was at the graduation ceremony.  Couldn’t help but noticed that Ben’s family wasn’t. 

A Jessa light episode. Yeah.  No Spurge.  Boo!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Yeah, you can't be an instructor without a commercial license.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, tabloidlover said:

Wait just a damn minute here!!  I know you all are ahead of me as I'm only 7 minutes in.  However, no one's math adds the fuck up.  During packing, Jinger said they have been courting for 3 weeks.  Cut to Jeremy getting out of SUV with his parents saying they have been long distance for 2 weeks.  Cut to him giving her the world's saddest cup of flowers and he says  "Happy Two months!"    What in the fuck??

They all learned math at the SOTDRT.

I suppose they learned "lying for Jesus" there, too.

• Love 6

Half-way-through thoughts:

Joy is now laughing like Jessa, and most recently Jinger. Hate.

This is the weirdest family I've ever seen.  Like really effing weird!  And I believe Jeremy is even weirder (I've said this before and I'm sticking to it).

I don't like Joy anymore. Actually maybe I never liked her. So...she wants to be a pilot? What's the point? 

"Small moments of terror, John David?" I do not want to hear that from my pilot.

Good for him though knowing how to fly. That's kind of bad ass.

Oh my god Jim Bob. Do not give fatherly/marriage/money advice to this kid in front of his own dad. Not cool. How uncomfortable? For everyone. Gross.

Jinge has nothing to say or add to any 'conversations' these people have. 

Are Jeremy's parents batshit, too, or just him?

That church is so not awesome Jinger. There is NOTHING awesome about it.I need to stop watching this show.

So this was the 'Joy' episode. I guess she is next in line. 

I wish Jim Bob gave the wrong diploma to the wrong twin.

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 7

Duggar Math at its finest. Although in this case, I think we need to blame sloppy TLC editing who taped a bunch of "Jinger courting" THs weeks before she headed out to Laredo. 

I think that Laredo trip was in June; remember the flak the ice cream shop got for posting that picture of the senior Duggars with the Happy Couple? It got so bad that they pulled the post and may well have shut down their entire account. 

• Love 2
  • Observations from this episode:
  • Did you guys see JimBo snooping in Jer's closet?  What did he expect to find in there?
  • JimBob's snarky comment to Jer, when he was talking about bartering:  "We get married next month, or I'm gone."  JimBob: "See ya, Jer!"
  • When Ginger was going up the escalator to catch her flight home...did you guys see the sneer JimBob threw over his shoulder to him?
  • JimBob dragging them all to the pawn shop....Jeremy's parents looked uncomfortable.
  • When JimBob was grilling Jeremy at the Mexican restaurant...Jeremy's mom looked displeased.

I don't think JimBob likes Jeremy.

Excuse the bullet points. I don't know how they got there, or how to get rid of them.

• Love 8

Where do I start?

oh, Jill. And the pastors wife. Yes, instead of putting resources into helping these women get away from their bad husbands, let's help them stay in their bad marriages. And thank goodness for Jill, literally sitting there with a blank face while these women cried. 

Then, you have Dim Bulb grilling Jeremy about his finances, extremely uncomfortable and I wanted Jeremy's parents to say, how about your daughter getting a damn job to cover her thrift store addiction and contribute to their family.  And the comment in the car Jeremy made about married in a month or he's out? And Jingers ridiculous reactions to his apartment and that closet he preaches at? I understand the girl wanting to escape the cults clutches, but I'm afraid she's just walking into another form of enslavement. JB is sooooo creepy with his daughters.

i actually liked JD this episode.

Joy's comment at the end about helping with the kids made me so sad for her. These people are just ridiculous. What they've done to their kids should be criminal. They are all so stunted.

I'm sure there was more, but I can't even wrap my head around it. 

I would like to know where I can pick up some sweet neon shirts. 

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

How about "babe"?

• Love 6

I will pay actual cash money to never hear TheBoob ever say "swap spit" again. Like he allows his spawn to kiss their crush.

I was almost praying (naw I'm a heathen but I considered it) for someone to push Boob into Jeremy's closet, lock it, and run like hell.

• Love 8

I think it was Boob's way of observing what a BACHELOR'S apartment it was, which is full of irony since Boob never lived alone. And the subtext is: wouldn't you be happier in one of my free rentals in Northwest Arkansas? Hell, he actually came out and said it. 

And by now, you all know what I think is going to happen and how it will be accomplished. :D

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, LoquaciousAudacity said:

Where do I start?

oh, Jill. And the pastors wife. Yes, instead of putting resources into helping these women get away from their bad husbands, let's help them stay in their bad marriages. And thank goodness for Jill, literally sitting there with a blank face while these women cried. 

I used to follow a well known TV preacher on FB. On one of the threads a woman was asking for prayers that her husband, who'd walked out on her and her daughters THREE years ago, would return to the family. Everyone was telling her to pray and wait because God hates divorce. I think being single is worse than leprosy in their world.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, LoquaciousAudacity said:

Then, you have Dim Bulb grilling Jeremy about his finances, extremely uncomfortable and I wanted Jeremy's parents to say, how about your daughter getting a damn job to cover her thrift store addiction and contribute to their family.  

Leave it to Jim Bob to mark his triumphant return to television by behaving like the biggest asshole on the planet. 

• Love 20

This episode made Boob even more of an ass than ever before.  He needs to STFU about everything. He made fun of the size of the apartment.   Maybe he doesn't remember stuffing a dozen or so kids in his 1100 sq. ft. house and leaving them to fantasize about cooking rice that was an adornment.  

Going in the closet was way out of line. 

Sorry- but if I were the mother of the groom, I would have slapped some sense into Boob and told him that the thrift store daughter can get a JOB in a thrift store. The guy should be running at top speed from this crazy lunatic. 

Joy was annoying and needs to take a refresher course in speaking English. 

Guess the Josh kids and Anna had to hide during the party.  

Edited by truthtalk2014
Forgot something!
  • Love 23

Joy has never struck me as the sharpest tool in the drawer. Now that she's a featured kidult, we can really see just how emotionally stunted, and, frankly, not really smart she is. It's sad when Jill looks like an intellectual next to you. 

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Aja said:

Arwen, I'm fifteen minutes in and if you and your headship actually did this, you're both unconscious right now.

How many fucking times was Jinger going to talk about how everything is "super hard". I was going to throw something at the TV, I was going to lose my shit if Jim Bob said one more cringeworthy thing.

Barging into his closet? WTF????

Telling him to get another job to support Jinger's thrift shop habit???

Talking about "swapping spit" in front of Jinger like that? 

My headship just gave me a grimaced face when he saw "it" was on!

He would have found me passed out on the floor pissed as a newt had I even attempted the drinking game. Good thing I saw it sober or I would have thought I was hallucinating...

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
Missed some stuff first swipe
  • Love 12

OMG I can't stand Ben! Every time his stupid duhhh face comes on I think that Jinger hit the jackpot. At least the preacher has a hot body and probably knows what to do with it. I can relate to Jing and her crazy crush on all things hot preacher. I thought our first apartment was also a palace because it was MINE. And I went to college and lived away from home, but there's just something about that first place you have as a couple. Can't say enough how much I love to see Boobhead squirm at their touchy feely-ness. He may throw in stupid ass remarks, but he's sort of dying inside that his daughter is doing this on TV. Yay !

John David actually seems rather sweet. I'm guessing he's grown up out of his dumb stage. I guess I've liked him ever since he declared that he no longer looks up to his brother. I wonder how that relationship is going.

• Love 15

That "Graduation" was purely for effect. They wanted the internet to STFU. Funny though, it had absolutely effect on me. When you print out your own diploma from an eponymous academy it makes me laugh. And those kids are dumb as stumps.

• Love 10

WTF is wrong with these people? What 29 yr old MAN is SOOOOO excited to see his 22 yr old girlfriend that despite texting/facetiming 24-7, 2 weeks apart feels like MONTHS? What 29 yr old is SOOOOO blown away by a string art project done by her girlfriend which is probably an art project that they're doing in 4th grade these days? What 22 yr old is SOOO blown away by a 1 bedroom apartment that she is exclaiming "OMG BABE" every 2 seconds? What girl's father feels it is ok to open his daughter's boyfriend's closet and walk in -- not peek inside but actually open the freaking door? What did he think Jer could have been hiding back there -- another girlfriend?

And to me the JB comment of -- your modest salary may not be enough, you'll need a 2nd job was such a set up for a conversation whether a month from now or a yr from now -- look you're living 700 miles away from us on a pittance, come back to Arkansas, you can preach here, and I have tons of free housing available. Even more telling than that though was the fact that Jer had NOTHING to say on that point. I know he was put on the spot, but come on, he has watched close enough to know some made for TV drama coming. And even if he didn't, I feel like most guys -- esp. of a patriarchal culture -- would feel their pride/worth was being questioned and would say SOMETHING, whether -- actually I make a good salary enough for 2 people and a family; I wouldn't be looking to marry until I was financially stable; I have a budget worked out . . . something. My first thought at Jer's silence was that he was STUNNED that money was an issue bc he thought he'd be benefiting from the Duggar fortune/TLC money and that's why he's signing on for this whole thing.

And Jinger's over the top excitement about a very normal 1 bedroom was sad. It just shows how unexposed she is. Everyone my age lives in/lived in that kind of apartment and/or all our friends do . . . so there is nothing so magical about an ordinary first apartment. But obviously Jinger has probably never even been in one before. LOL at her comment re his HUGE bed; I'm sure she was thinking . . . I'll be enjoying it soon . . . .

• Love 18