Type keyword(s) to search

Quarry - General Discussion

Primetimer
  • Start Topic

11 hours ago, SeanC said:

This stuff feels like it would be a great historical drama in its own right, but its connection to a pulpy show about a hitman is rather tenuous.

Good point.  The show gets some things right -- Arthur's wife, her waitress job, being poor, the hassles of getting the kids to school, car trouble, etc. -- although even when we ran out of milk, we didn't put water on our cereal -- we just ate it dry. 

The woman at the end -- was she another of The Broker's people, watching to make sure Mac got the job done? 

17 hours ago, SeanC said:

The stuff about school integration covers a part of recent US history that isn't dramatized a lot, and has done a pretty solid job thus far of giving as the black perspective on events, so I feel weird saying this in one sense, but:  what does this have to do with anything else on the show?  This stuff feels like it would be a great historical drama in its own right, but its connection to a pulpy show about a hitman is rather tenuous.

Mac's motivations for doing what he's doing hinge upon both his time in Viet Nam, and, therefore, his friendship with Arthur. The time in Nam gave him his skillset, and the friendship with Arthur his obligation. I think it's interesting and sad that the friendship between the two families is/was genuine, but Society/racism/politics is going to tear them and keep them apart.

• Love 1

It's interesting that both of Mac's hits can be put down to accident -- Cliff and the jack, and Linwood and the dynamite.  Can they identify slugs from a gun or will they be just more twisted burnt metal? 

Loved the shot of the blow-back on Mac from the explosion and wonder how they did it.

On October 14, 2016 at 10:33 PM, SeanC said:

The stuff about school integration covers a part of recent US history that isn't dramatized a lot, and has done a pretty solid job thus far of giving as the black perspective on events, so I feel weird saying this in one sense, but:  what does this have to do with anything else on the show?  This stuff feels like it would be a great historical drama in its own right, but its connection to a pulpy show about a hitman is rather tenuous.

I think it's part of making the show a not-pulpy show about a hitman.  Mac and Arthur came back to a country where their experiences in Vietnam didn't help them and Arthur still had the burden of being a black man in the south.

I think both the Broker and Buddy are sending out hit people.  Otherwise what was Buddy "working" on?

• Love 2

Bye, Josh Randall. Excepting the attempt to screw Chris's sister, he was a pretty decent cop. He was definitely on the right track with Mac.

You would have to say the Broker's an excellent manager. He shut down Buddy's gun-runner plan without being rude or condescending.

Are we sure it's goodbye?  This show is so twisty, the finale might see him believing that Mac and Buddy are undercover DEA.  He'll help them take down NotFatElvis and his crew, the recovered dope goes to police HQ, and he'll get Officer of the Year. 

I have really gotten into this show.  I love the fact that show does not give the main characters plot armor for no reason.  Quarry and Buddy are getting sloppy and you can not get sloppy in this game.

Joanie's butt looked amazing in those jeans, even this hetero female noticed.

Speaking of butts what the heck did fat Elvis mean when he said "Let's go watch those clabberd bottomed girls shake their titties to Kool in the Gang?"  That line seemed so phony and out of place in a show where everything else is so organic.  Also, I have grown up in the south and have no idea what a "clabbered bottom girl" is.

23 hours ago, qtpye said:

I have really gotten into this show.  I love the fact that show does not give the main characters plot armor for no reason.  Quarry and Buddy are getting sloppy and you can not get sloppy in this game.

Joanie's butt looked amazing in those jeans, even this hetero female noticed.

Speaking of butts what the heck did fat Elvis mean when he said "Let's go watch those clabberd bottomed girls shake their titties to Kool in the Gang?"  That line seemed so phony and out of place in a show where everything else is so organic.  Also, I have grown up in the south and have no idea what a "clabbered bottom girl" is.

Clabbered is the term for milk that has started to curdle.  So I'm thinking cellulite.

There was a fantastic instrumental song played early in the episode, while Mac was walking around a warehouse. It was guitar-y R&B. The episode didn't show any music credits - anyone recognize it? And I laughed at hearing Poke Salad Annie. That song was everywhere in the south. Also, I've been fighting poke in my garden - it's very invasive and puts down deep roots!

ETA: song is Big City After Dark by Link Wray.

Edited by pasdetrois

Damn, I knew whatever happened in 'Nam was going to be fucked up, but it was even more fucked up than I thought. The twitching half-torso of that kid in the village might be the most disturbing thing I've seen on TV this year.

So we found out that Broker's been in Mac's life longer than Mac even knew. All about the poppy.

• Love 1

I'll watch a second season but it won't break my heart if it's not renewed.  The show is well done, the actors are exceptional, the music is outstanding, and there's more story to tell, especially with Buddy and Arthur's family, but if this is the end, it's a good end. 

• Love 3

I can see it if it's over, I can see where they could move forward.  The attack on the village was really well done.  Was the guy who took the money away from Walter also working for the broker?

I love the turtle.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, meep.meep said:

I can see it if it's over, I can see where they could move forward.  The attack on the village was really well done.  Was the guy who took the money away from Walter also working for the broker?

I love the turtle.

I think so -- otherwise he wouldn't have known about the money.  I wonder if he returned the money to the broker.  Doubtful.  Which does make me want a second season, to see him get taken down (the guy who took the money).  Guy who threatens a kid needs a punch in the nutsack, at least.

• Love 2

I don't think he's undercover.  The beat cops didn't mess with him because he's a big scary dude.

The kid's stories about how he earned the money for the flowers, the ball, and the TV antenna were believable.  Those weren't big ticket items -- no jewelry, no new bikes, so there was no reason for him to think the kid had a big stash.  He wasn't surprised at the amount of money, so he knew.  His not showing up for breakfast at the cafe the next day proved it.  His interest in the family was because of the money. 

• Love 2

I remember when the guy broke into the house to look for the money.  His whole reason for being there was finding the Broker's money.  I feel so bad for Joy...she really has been through hell and does not even realize what is really going on.

• Love 2

I thought it already was done but im still disappointed at hearing it officially.

http://tvline.com/2017/05/31/quarry-cancelled-cinemax-no-season-2/

I assumed it was gonna be one of those that never "ended" but most likely never got a season 2.

Re(re)branding at cinemax will be great news for me with strike back and that warrior show sounding like its gonna be good but they could have kept this one too.

The Vietnam battle scene was amazing and terrible at the same time (looked amazing but terrible what was happening). Also the car chase and warehouse battle and all the other action parts really did feel like strike back/banshee so i feel it was in line with their brand.

They could have just had mac go on more jobs than he did in the first season (especially with him and joni getting "better").

I understand there was lots of "feeling" in this show but i thought it was great stuff - and the music made it even greater (also the characters playing the songs/ at bars where bands were playing them and them being part of the story and not just a soundtrack was awesome)!