Type keyword(s) to search

Divorce - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Frances isn't ready to swipe right into her post-divorce dating life while Robert is ready to jump on Ugly Betty's foil.

I hope this isn't the beginning of some setup for reconciliation but more her lacking in confidence to date after being married so long.  But looks like they wrote Robert a gf so that Frances and her would clash.

Looks like Dean Winters is gone and Dallas' role for now is to figure out her patient is dating Robert.

Meanwhile Diane continues with her midlife crisis while Nick is doing his own thing as well.

• Love 3

Anyone know how many episodes this season has? I'm not totally sure what narrative strands they're gathering other than Frances drama over "Robby's" relationship. 

Was thrown by Lila's warm hug toward her mother. It almost made me think they were airing episodes out of order, as can happen in network meddling. I don't think that's the case but it did feel like we missed a beat.

I've found Talia Balsam an interesting and unsettling presence ever since Stephen Soderbergh's K Street back in the day. On Mad Men I never felt like she came across as a true citizen of the 1960s - she never melded with the period for me. I like her in this, though, and wish she had more to do.

1 hour ago, BingeyKohan said:

Anyone know how many episodes this season has? I'm not totally sure what narrative strands they're gathering other than Frances drama over "Robby's" relationship. 

Was thrown by Lila's warm hug toward her mother. It almost made me think they were airing episodes out of order, as can happen in network meddling. I don't think that's the case but it did feel like we missed a beat.

I've found Talia Balsam an interesting and unsettling presence ever since Stephen Soderbergh's K Street back in the day. On Mad Men I never felt like she came across as a true citizen of the 1960s - she never melded with the period for me. I like her in this, though, and wish she had more to do.

I've watched all the episodes of Mad Men, but don't remember her on it.  Was she somebody's wife .. Like John Slattery?

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Gem 10 said:

I've watched all the episodes of Mad Men, but don't remember her on it.  Was she somebody's wife .. Like John Slattery?

Exactly. Mona, I think her name was - only on a couple of times each season, especially after his mid life crisis and he left her.

• Love 1

If anyone wants to see Sarah Jessica Parker play the same stammering, begging-her-rude-daughter-for-love, inept, "Sorry sorry sorry!" character in a two-hour feature film, I recommend All Roads Lead To Rome.  YEOWCH.

Signature head-tilting, running in high heels and downcast eyes all included.

Edited by candall
more shade
  • Love 3

Did anyone else feel old when Becki Newton's character said she was in her 40s? It doesn't seem that long ago that she was playing a feisty 20-something on Ugly Betty. I always thought she was the same age as me, and I'm still in my 30s.

I was surprised that Frances and Robert hooked up in Ohio. I thought after all the ugliness of their divorce there would be no sexual chemistry left. Supporting each other in time of need? OK. Sexual attraction? No.

SJP and Amy Sedaris are always gold together. I remember Amy playing Carrie's wacky book editor on SATC. "Your mother gave me the green Fiestaware pitcher, and you'll have to dig it out of my grave!" Hee.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I was surprised that Frances and Robert hooked up in Ohio. I thought after all the ugliness of their divorce there would be no sexual chemistry left. Supporting each other in time of need? OK. Sexual attraction? No.

I’m convinced the recently departed mustache is responsible. Sure, they’d shared a few bonding moments, including Frances’ takedown of Cathy, taking them back to a better time for them as a couple emotionally. Factor in that Robert finally went back to the face Frances was always attracted to and, boom, they’re having that weird, life-affirming sex that tends to occur when mortality becomes a bit too real instead of commiserating over a nightcap and retreating to separate bedrooms. 

4 hours ago, candall said:

I'm glad "Cathy" lives in Ohio.  Although Amy Sedaris is top-notch at playing the kind of human cheese grater it would take to put Frances and Robert back on the same side.

Human cheese grater is a terrific descriptor for Cathy. Her ridiculousness was causing my slappin’ hand to twitch. 

• Love 5

Did anyone else feel old when Becki Newton's character said she was in her 40s? It doesn't seem that long ago that she was playing a feisty 20-something on Ugly Betty. I always thought she was the same age as me, and I'm still in my 30s.

If it makes you feel better, Becki Newton is 39, so her character is older than she actually is. 

I liked the episode.  I enjoyed Frances' take down of Cathy, and think they've actually tried this season to make both she and Robert a little more pleasant to be around. 

• Love 1

Robert talked about bringing Frances home to show off his hot piece of ass.

Maybe that got to her.

Or maybe she hasn't dated since she was a hot piece of ass so she wasn't ready to, despite the needy Tinder giraffe guy always pinging her.

Maybe Robert didn't seem too bad compared with what else was out there.

Now if she gets really vexed by Jackie, then this wasn't a one-time thing.  She may want to try with him again.

They hint at a cat fight to come by having Jackie make some derogatory crack about Frances.

• Love 1

I'm probably heartless, but I couldn't relate to Frances' need to go with Robert when his dad got sick. Yes, they had been family, but they're fairly acrimoniously divorced. I rarely get any real sense of affection, past or present, from them, they are pretty terrible to one another, and Frances usually just seems to view him with contempt. And he honestly did NOT seem to want her there, at least at first.  Her feeling she HAD to go, and then the later hookup, just seemed to come out of nowhere. My ex husband's dad died shortly after we divorced, and tho I'd been very fond of my former father in law, I didn't go to the funeral.  We HAD been family, but the connection was broken now. I sent flowers and cards and sympathy but showing up didn't really occur to me. I know everyone is different, but I just didn't buy that Frances and Robert were THAT couple.

I also don't buy Becki Newton thinking Robert is so awesome. Why?

I found it funny too that both Carrie Bradshaw's book editors were on this episode. But I just cannot stand Molly Shannon's character. She's horrifying.

• Love 7

I actually thought it was kind of selfish and boneheaded for Frances to go with Robert.  She should have respected his wish for her not to come, and expressed her sympathy and concern for his father by sending flowers and a card.      

• Love 5

Yeah, Frances should not have come at all. She would have done more good being at home and staying with the kids rather than dumping her crazy friend on them. 

And I know every couple is different but that was a pretty bad divorce and I got the feeling it wasn't very tender or loving in the years leading up to the divorce so the idea of them hooking up kind of came out of left field. They both seemed fairly disgusted with each other.

I am eager to see the younger hotter girlfriend get on Frances' nerves. I'm sure that will shake her up quite a bit. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, luna1122 said:

I'm probably heartless, but I couldn't relate to Frances' need to go with Robert when his dad got sick. Yes, they had been family, but they're fairly acrimoniously divorced. I rarely get any real sense of affection, past or present, from them, they are pretty terrible to one another, and Frances usually just seems to view him with contempt. And he honestly did NOT seem to want her there, at least at first.  Her feeling she HAD to go, and then the later hookup, just seemed to come out of nowhere. My ex husband's dad died shortly after we divorced, and tho I'd been very fond of my former father in law, I didn't go to the funeral.  We HAD been family, but the connection was broken now. I sent flowers and cards and sympathy but showing up didn't really occur to me. I know everyone is different, but I just didn't buy that Frances and Robert were THAT couple.

I also don't buy Becki Newton thinking Robert is so awesome. Why?

I found it funny too that both Carrie Bradshaw's book editors were on this episode. But I just cannot stand Molly Shannon's character. She's horrifying.

I think alot of variable come into play with attending/not attending an ex-MIL/FIL services.  I'm not posing these questions to you, just in general:  How long was the marriage?  kid?  were you close with the deceased.  Now for me, in my particular situation, you couldn't stop me from attending and my ex-husband would pretty much expect me there and I wouldn't be out of place or uncomfortable.  Maybe its an Greek/Italian thing, maybe its a me thing, but I can not see not going to my kid's grandparents services.  No way, no how.  I do however respect your stance on your own personal situation.  :) 

• Love 4

We were married 14 years, no kids. Had there been kids, I'm sure I would have gone, for their sake. I liked my ex in laws very much, they were good to me, but we weren't CLOSE. The divorce had just happened, and it was not pretty. And my ex was taking his new squeeze, the woman who he'd had an affair with, which led me to divorce him, to the funeral, so...yeah, I opted out. Had it happened later, when I was handling things better, I likely would have gone. But I am sure that would all vary situation to situation, as you said.  And I'd expect Frances to go to her ex father in law's funeral, had that been the case, for the children...but just for a hospital stay? It all felt very forced to me. I have never gotten that these two ever were in love, or lust, or ANYthing, so it was kind of creepy to see them hook up.

• Love 2

I'm glad "Cathy" lives in Ohio.  Although Amy Sedaris is top-notch at playing the kind of human cheese grater it would take to put Frances and Robert back on the same side.

LOL - human cheese grater. Amy Sedaris really was perfect in this episode. She can talk a mile a minute like nobody's business. 

I didn't think it made any sense for her to go either. Their divorce wasn't entirely acrimonious, either. I'm not sure how well the ex-sister in law was supposed to receive her or whether the ex-father in law would even appreciate the visit given the circumstances of the divorce. (If my son's wife cheated on him then asked for a divorce I don't think I'd want her anywhere near my death bed.) I could see her going to the funeral, had he died, because she's the mother of his grandchildren and they would probably attend the funeral. But a visit to the hospital? Uh, no.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I actually thought it was kind of selfish and boneheaded for Frances to go with Robert.  She should have respected his wish for her not to come, and expressed her sympathy and concern for his father by sending flowers and a card.      

Tragedy or a death usually bring a couple together sexually, even if for the moment.

• Love 2
On 2/5/2018 at 5:44 PM, chocolatine said:

SJP and Amy Sedaris are always gold together. I remember Amy playing Carrie's wacky book editor on SATC. "Your mother gave me the green Fiestaware pitcher, and you'll have to dig it out of my grave!" Hee.

I really didn't consider their divorce ugly.  Most of the friction was created by their lawyers and once they were done they both seemed to be relieved.  

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Dminches said:

I really didn't consider their divorce ugly.  Most of the friction was created by their lawyers and once they were done they both seemed to be relieved.  

They've been pretty hideous to each other from the get go, imo. The lawyers added to the friction but they sure ran with it themselves. Frances never seems to miss an opportunity to belittle him, always seems creeped out by him, shrieked at him for showing up at the kids' school event, and apparently Robert has told his new squeeze that his ex is 'batshit crazy'. This was not a friendly split at all, imo. But also not the kind still fraught with heat or passion...the hookup just seemed so weird to me.

• Love 2

Frances is a narcissist and has to make everything about her, including family emergencies involving people who aren't family anymore. She also seems to have codependent issues. Once she was "needed" and gave herself the responsibility to help out and fix things, she got a little euphoric charge and then threw herself at Robert. Funny how she's so reluctant to date now, considering she was dating and fucking another man while she was married. I don't buy that angle at all.

I can't stand Frances and I hope she and Robert don't reconcile. She is incredibly selfish and her daughter is right to resent her. That feeling will continue until Lila moves far, far away and never calls and stops visiting. Frances will be one of those mothers who barges in uninvited where she isn't wanted. We've already seen it on the show.

I don't understand how Frances has the audacity to call someone else a horrible person. Bitch, look in the mirror.

Edited by LilaFowler
  • Love 1

Watching Frances pretend-jogging and trying to spy on Robert and Jackie gave me flashbacks to SATC when Carrie was spying on Big when he took his mother to church.

I'm so happy that the artist whose painting Frances loved has agreed to show her work in the gallery. I never really bought that Frances was passionate about art until she found that portrait.

• Love 5

Looks like the Ohio hookup was more important to her than him.

Jackie thanking Frances for divorcing "Robbie" had to be a punch to the face.

The daughter pursues the son, kind of like her mother pursued his father.  

Frances liking the paintings is one thing but she kind of needs them to become hits and make some money.  She's getting traffic into the gallery to see the pile of shit but doesn't seem to be selling anything. 

If she doesn't sell anything soon, she's going to be more preoccupied with paying the rent than what her ex or her kids are up to.

• Love 3

There are a lot of things about this show that reek of SATC (to me). The tiptoe running that she does. The hair constantly in the face. SJP's acting... it doesn't appear that she is even attempting to portray another type of character. Frances is who Carrie would be if she had settled down, married Aidan, moved to the burbs and embraced the lifestyle IMO.

Pretty brazen of Robert to take his new gf of a month to his young daughter's birthday. I probably wouldn't. Had Lila even met her yet? Is her birthday party really the time for that?

It seemed to really throw Frances through a loop to learn that Robert had told Jackie that they had slept together. Frances probably thought that he never would and that it would be this little secret that they had from Jackie.

It feels like Jackie has dealt with this kind of relationship before. She was pretty calculating in her comments to Frances, first in making it clear that she knew they'd slept together, and then when she informed Frances that he'd also told her that it hadn't meant anything to him. Battle lines were drawn.

• Love 9
26 minutes ago, Gem 10 said:

I really like this show, but not to be mean, I find it very hard to look at SJP and Molly Shannon.  They just look so unflattering.

In the scene with SJP and Talia Balsam, it occurred to me how much better Talia Balsam looks even though she's older. She's allowed herself to gain a few pounds and it really flatters her face, plus her hair is cut and styled nicely. SJP looks rough in comparison.

• Love 12

It was definitely a power play for Jackie to mention to Frances that "Robbie" had told her they'd slept together. A little odd that he did, and that she seemed so okay with it, but the relationship is very new, so I guess she had no right, yet, to get too upset about that one. She was definitely territorially  peeing on Robert's leg with that little convo, tho. I still don't understand what Jackie sees in Robert, or why on earth Frances is suddenly seeming to want him back.

I don't really find that Frances reminds me too much of Carrie tho...well, maybe, if Carrie got really, really bitter and had kids and lost all interest in style, and all her bubbliness. Which I guess a bad marriage and kids and the 'burbs could do to a person.

I don't think SJP or Molly Shannon are unattractive, but I do find Shannon hard to watch, in most anything. She's probably a lovely person, but she plays such nails-on-a-chalkboard characters in almost everything that I find I sort of hate her. Diane is unbearable.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, luna1122 said:

I don't think SJP or Molly Shannon are unattractive, but I do find Shannon hard to watch, in most anything. She's probably a lovely person, but she plays such nails-on-a-chalkboard characters in almost everything that I find I sort of hate her. Diane is unbearable.

That's how I feel about Shannon. She's not unattractive but her personality in her characters is just grating. GRATING. 

I also don't quite get what Jackie sees in Robbie. And I'm not sure if Frances wanted "Robbie" back but I think she's hurt that he moved on so quickly and with someone who is younger and prettier. 

• Love 8

Molly Shannon takes her mannerisms to every role she does, it's hard to get her out of her way of speaking and moving. She was great in a film called Other People.

I see SO much of Carrie in SJB, this week she bounces across the street wearing high heels. Carrie always bounced across streets.

• Love 6

I enjoy listening to the old 70's songs that they play at the end of the shows and realize that I never  really thought much about the words. Listening to the actual lyrics of "Sad Eyes" I was struck by how mysogonistic it was.  

• Love 12
13 hours ago, scrb said:

Looks like the Ohio hookup was more important to her than him.

Jackie thanking Frances for divorcing "Robbie" had to be a punch to the face.

The daughter pursues the son, kind of like her mother pursued his father.  

Frances liking the paintings is one thing but she kind of needs them to become hits and make some money.  She's getting traffic into the gallery to see the pile of shit but doesn't seem to be selling anything. 

If she doesn't sell anything soon, she's going to be more preoccupied with paying the rent than what her ex or her kids are up to.

12 hours ago, LilaFowler said:

There are a lot of things about this show that reek of SATC (to me). The tiptoe running that she does. The hair constantly in the face. SJP's acting... it doesn't appear that she is even attempting to portray another type of character. Frances is who Carrie would be if she had settled down, married Aidan, moved to the burbs and embraced the lifestyle IMO.

Pretty brazen of Robert to take his new gf of a month to his young daughter's birthday. I probably wouldn't. Had Lila even met her yet? Is her birthday party really the time for that?

It seemed to really throw Frances through a loop to learn that Robert had told Jackie that they had slept together. Frances probably thought that he never would and that it would be this little secret that they had from Jackie.

It feels like Jackie has dealt with this kind of relationship before. She was pretty calculating in her comments to Frances, first in making it clear that she knew they'd slept together, and then when she informed Frances that he'd also told her that it hadn't meant anything to him. Battle lines were drawn.

I really do not know what Jackie see's in Robert, but the actors do manage to have chemistry.  I really do not know how you make money on an art gallery, unless you are very well connected and Frances does not seemed worried at all.  Is she a trust fund baby?

The town they live in is very pretty.

Molly Shannon takes her mannerisms to every role she does, it's hard to get her out of her way of speaking and moving. She was great in a film called Other People.

I see SO much of Carrie in SJB, this week she bounces across the street wearing high heels. Carrie always bounced across streets.

I do not know if Shannon's broad comedy works in this role.  She is coming off like a pathetic clown.  It  is hard to believe that someone as uptight as her husband would be into her.  It is also interesting that he left his wife for her.  Maybe, he liked her as a free spirit?

• Love 3

my thoughts on this show in general:

I agree that Frances is kind of a grown-up Carrie.  I also sort of get where she's coming from;  those in the process of re-discovering and/or inventing themselves (newly single, kids needing her less, switching careers, etc)  are just all up their own ass, I've had friends going through it and there was never really time for me to have a "storyline"  (it was real life but you know what I mean...)

I really like the coats she wears.

Are we supposed to be seeing Robert from Frances' POV?  I ask because I find nothing attractive or redeemable about him;  he just seems like a try-hard and a buffoon.  Obviously there's something to him;  she married the guy, and Becki Newton's character seems to have her shit together & she's attracted to him.  I just wish we saw more of his attractive qualities

• Love 2
1 minute ago, teapot said:

my thoughts on this show in general:

I agree that Frances is kind of a grown-up Carrie.  I also sort of get where she's coming from;  those in the process of re-discovering and/or inventing themselves (newly single, kids needing her less, switching careers, etc)  are just all up their own ass, I've had friends going through it and there was never really time for me to have a "storyline"  (it was real life but you know what I mean...)

I really like the coats she wears.

Are we supposed to be seeing Robert from Frances' POV?  I ask because I find nothing attractive or redeemable about him;  he just seems like a try-hard and a buffoon.  Obviously there's something to him;  she married the guy, and Becki Newton's character seems to have her shit together & she's attracted to him.  I just wish we saw more of his attractive qualities

I agree about Robert and wonder that too, but we see him in scenes to which Frances is not privy, so it's just him, I suspect. Which is odd, because Thomas Hayden Church CAN be attractive enough, like in 'Easy A'...he was totally the cool teacher I'd have had a crush on. Here, he just seems like a big buffoon, like you said, who likes to talk about bodily functions and make inappropriate and unfunny comments and tell stupid jokes. I can't see, in this, why anyone would ever be attracted to him.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, chocolatine said:

In the scene with SJP and Talia Balsam, it occurred to me how much better Talia Balsam looks even though she's older. She's allowed herself to gain a few pounds and it really flatters her face, plus her hair is cut and styled nicely. SJP looks rough in comparison.

I think that Talia Balsam and John Slattery are a hot-looking "older" couple.

• Love 7

It was definitely a power play for Jackie to mention to Frances that "Robbie" had told her they'd slept together. A little odd that he did, and that she seemed so okay with it, but the relationship is very new, so I guess she had no right, yet, to get too upset about that one. She was definitely territorially  peeing on Robert's leg with that little convo, tho. I still don't understand what Jackie sees in Robert, or why on earth Frances is suddenly seeming to want him back.

I was a little taken aback at how aggressive Jackie was being with Frances.  It was totally a power play, but it's kind of like two children fighting over the last cookie.  The "prize" isn't particularly valuable, and you kind of forget about immediately after it's gone. 

• Love 2
On 1/22/2018 at 2:00 PM, cpcathy said:

I laughed when Frances said she can't bake. Did she inherit Carrie Bradshaw's cooking skills? What mom of two hasn't baked a few cupcakes in her day?

I'm basically watching this for Thomas Haden Church. Loved when he told her he could have had a threesome with a dude.

I love Thomas Haden Church--!!!!

• Love 2

I really haven't seen THC in other roles than Wings.

So to me, Robert just seems like an older Lowell, really oblivious, but an obvious comic persona, not a dramatic character.

The guy in Catastrophe isn't that different either.  I've never seen that actor's standup act but it seems like the character is just riffing with his one-liners.

Yet behind those one-liners, there is some dramatic movement going on.

• Love 1

I still don't understand what Jackie sees in Robert, or why on earth Frances is suddenly seeming to want him back.

I don't think Frances wants him back but I think she feels insecure because he's already moved on with someone else. There has to be a way for her to quantify how well she's doing post-divorce versus Robert and in one respect it appears he's doing better than she is. It has to be pretty common for most divorced people to imagine their exes living out their lives sad and alone and it's got to sting a bit when they actually start dating first.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I don't think Frances wants him back but I think she feels insecure because he's already moved on with someone else. There has to be a way for her to quantify how well she's doing post-divorce versus Robert and in one respect it appears he's doing better than she is. It has to be pretty common for most divorced people to imagine their exes living out their lives sad and alone and it's got to sting a bit when they actually start dating first.

Oh, for sure. They say the opposite of love is not hate but indifference, and it's more hate you feel at first, for awhile, than indifference. Or if not hate (tho Frances and Robert have seemed to really hate each other), then, like, competition and hope that you're doing better than they are. Hell, I've been divorced for over 20 years, and been with my current love for nearly 14, and I don't actively wish my ex evil or anything, but I'd STILL prefer not to hear he's won any lotteries or prizes or achieved any great successes. I don't guess I really mean that I thought Frances wants Robert back, but that it perplexes me why she slept with him. I get the familiarity and all, especially in the situation they were in at the time, but I can't imagine anyone actually wanting to sleep with that guy.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Personally, I don't understand what Robert ever saw in Frances.

5 hours ago, luna1122 said:

Well, that too.

They seem equally terrible but in completely different mis-matched ways. Molly Shannon and her husband seem terrible in matching ways. 

• Love 4