Type keyword(s) to search

Kyle and Noon: Don't Talk To His Mom

• Start Topic

I love this couple. Like someone else mentioned, Noon was never miserable with Kyle. When she had issues, she addressed them with him quickly, and he remedied them as best he could. He found them a cleaner home, got rid of the roommate, found a Thai temple for the wedding, and even introduced her to his mother even though it was a difficult reunion for him. He is one of the few Americans on the show to -really- put in the effort to make his fianceé feel as comfortable and at home as possible.

Edited by lavenderpenguin
  • Love 8

Sure his house did have a lot of bugs, but in New Orleans it's something that is very bad in general, but his was very bad but still. I know once it gets dark you better close your blinds so the termintes don't get in! He even said she is making him cleaner.

He also said he'd exterminated multiple times and it never really helped. I've lived in the South most of my adult life and totally understand this.

• Love 4

Yes, having spent so much time in Southeast Asia I was sort of surprised that Noon acted so freaked out. I mean she has every right to feel that but it was the dirt, grim, clutter, layout and roommate that were dealbreakers for me, the roaches were the least problematic for me because I have seen much bigger and worse.

• Love 2

I love this couple. Like someone else mentioned, Noon was never miserable with Kyle. When she had issues, she addressed them with him quickly, and he remedied them as best he could. He found them a cleaner home, got rid of the roommate, found a Thai temple for the wedding, and even introduced her to his mother even though it was a difficult reunion for him. He is one of the few Americans on the show to -really- put in the effort to make his fianceé feel as comfortable and at home as possible.

I agree. I think this couple has the best chance for a successful, long-term marriage. I had my doubts at first because the living conditions, but Kyle really stepped up to make changes for Noon and to show her that he really cares about her. I think Noon also showed her care for Kyle by being kind during the visit to mother and not showing contempt or disgust. I think it gave her a greater understanding of Kyle, too.

• Love 3

I read on Kyle's twitter a while ago that he had the new apartment signed for, but she arrived 10 days before it was ready to be moved into, and of course, production jumped on it. Noon's twitter said there were only 5 roaches that they saw, but the show made it look worse. If I can find it again, I'll post the link to where Jason from Season 2 claimed he was the reason Kyle was getting the $5k for being on the show and told him to save his money. Kyle responded something like "Not even" and then it dissolved into a mess. It got funny.

I like Kyle and Noon and think their marriage will last a long time.

• Love 3

I read on Kyle's twitter a while ago that he had the new apartment signed for, but she arrived 10 days before it was ready to be moved into, and of course, production jumped on it. Noon's twitter said there were only 5 roaches that they saw, but the show made it look worse. If I can find it again, I'll post the link to where Jason from Season 2 claimed he was the reason Kyle was getting the $5k for being on the show and told him to save his money. Kyle responded something like "Not even" and then it dissolved into a mess. It got funny.

I like Kyle and Noon and think their marriage will last a long time.

Sadly, there is never just five roaches.  And five roaches is already five too many.  And in the refrigerator, just no, no, no, no.  I cut them some slack, because I know NO is hot and muggy and roaches must thrive.  And if they got the refrigerator second hand, the roaches could have been living in there if it had been out and unplugged for a period of time.  

But....just no, she should never speak of the roaches again.

Yes please to the link!  Yes please!!!!

• Love 2

I have a terrible sense of humor, but I think it's funny that Kyle's mom is an alcoholic and Kyle is a bartender.

To clarify I'm not saying that his mom being an alcoholic is funny at all.

Edited by jujuebes
  • Love 3

I have a terrible sense of humor, but I think it's funny that Kyle's mom is an alcoholic and Kyle is a bartender.

To clarify I'm not saying that his mom being an alcoholic is funny at all.

I remember that Alanis Morrisette song, and I feel like you think its ironic :)

I also don't think she is an alcoholic unless she is putting meth in her alcohol.

• Love 3

Yeah I think she drinks but that she has other issues (ie meth) but Kyle didn't want to mention it which I don't blame him for at all.

I don't either.  I just feel sad that TLC went there.  It wasn't pretty and it wasn't cool, and I hope in the future they avoid that sort of thing.  I like a good trainwreck as much as the next person, but that wasn't fun or snarkworthy at all.....it was just sad.

• Love 8

I felt so bad for Kyle in that scene with his Mom for so many reasons. They kept zooming in on whatever beverage his Mom was drinking - for all we know some of it was just iced tea, but of course the obvious assumption was it was something else. And I agree it just went too far.

• Love 6

Just thought of one more thing. Was I the only one wondering how Kyle's Mom got back home?  I seriously hope they didn't let her drive like that. I think they went too far showing all that they did, but if they were going to go that far I wish they'd at least have said "Uncle took her home" instead of just that she left. I found myself worried for her and anyone else on the road.

• Love 3

Just thought of one more thing. Was I the only one wondering how Kyle's Mom got back home? I seriously hope they didn't let her drive like that. I think they went too far showing all that they did, but if they were going to go that far I wish they'd at least have said "Uncle took her home" instead of just that she left. I found myself worried for her and anyone else on the road.

I think they said she lives somewhere on the aunt's property?

I think they said she lives somewhere on the aunt's property?

Maybe - I hope so. I know they said they met at the Aunt's house because it was a "neutral" place, so I took that to mean both of them had to travel there, but it's possible she lived in another place on the same property.

That makes me feel very said for the aunt because she probably feels responsible for keeping Kyle's mother alive. That happens so often in families. Everyone else will write the addict or I'll person off, but there's always one family member who feels it's their personal responsibility.

• Love 3

That makes me feel very said for the aunt because she probably feels responsible for keeping Kyle's mother alive. That happens so often in families. Everyone else will write the addict or I'll person off, but there's always one family member who feels it's their personal responsibility.

I've watched a lot of Intervention, and it would surprise me at how often the relationship began as "everyone else throws the person away and so I'm the only one to keep them from the streets" but ended up as some strange co-dependency.  I don't know if I could completely turn my back on someone I love either, so its a tough situation.  She doesn't really seem like she is interested in changing and she couldn't even make it to their wedding.  I think Kyle probably has done the best thing for himself by just avoiding his mother.  I can't see where there would be any other plan that would work out better.  If she couldn't even dry out for a day to attend his wedding, and if she is somehow sore with him for not coming to see her when she is a hot ass mess I think its for the best.  

I love that he seems to have cobbled together his own little family between his aunt and uncle and his friends in NO.  

• Love 4

Poor Noon.   She stuck with Kyle through it all, even after meeting his mother Neil Young.  But her heart belongs to Thailand.  Her only choices are go back or resign herself to a life that will always feel like something's missing.

• Love 7

I love how they packed up and moved to Portland! They're young, no ties. I love that they searched for a new city to call home together and found one with a Thai community. They'll be OK. Noon is a darling and Kyle had better not hurt a hair on her head or he will answer to me.

• Love 6
On September 12, 2016 at 3:37 PM, Diamond Dog said:

After the honeymoon period ended; Noone figured out that Kyle was an unmotivated stoner, and living life in New Orleans was too much for her. 

It seemed like Kyle was willing to try to make her happy. It was really sweet of him to give her a Buddhist wedding. She really looked lovely and happy as a bride. And he was willing to move to make her happy. He may seem like he's not really motivated, but his heart is in the right place because he seems capable of sacrificial love.

Noon has shown herself to be a gracious, kind, decent, simple girl, whose behavior is far removed from the likes of gold diggers like Anfisa  on the new season and she's not a needy succubus like Danielle. 

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
  • Love 5

I feel bad for Kyle and Noon. It's a rough situation to be in. I think Kyle is definitely open to living in Thailand but not really being able to return to the states (with Noon) is a hard consequence to face.

Noon should definitely go and visit if her father isn't doing well. Even stay for a few months. But honestly, you've got to think about this stuff before moving to another country. You can't plan for every eventuality, but there should be some kind of agreement about the plan between green card and citizenship.

EDIT: also wanted to say that I think it's sad as well that they are trotting out Kyle's mom again for the drama.

Edited by ExplainItAgain
  • Love 3
59 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I know this is an unpopular opinion but there is just something that bothers me about Noon.  I sense that Kyle loves her, but I also sense that Noon just wants to leave the US.

I do think Noon hates the US but loves Kyle. I think they are going to be all right and figure out a way for Noon manage to keep the recidency requirement and go back to live inThailand.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

I do think Noon hates the US but loves Kyle. I think they are going to be all right and figure out a way for Noon manage to keep the recidency requirement and go back to live inThailand.

But what happens if Kyle hates Thailand?

• Love 1

Im sure its the editing, but it appears that noon wants to change the whole arrangement and make Kyle move there. I dont understand why she isnt willing to go there for 6 months and come back. It appears that she wouldnt mind losing her green card. I think moving to Portland was a nice move for them and I hope they get through this. Surely  before they discussed the what if's if she moved to the US, and if someone in her family became ill.

• Love 1

I think Noone is being completely unreasonable and it seems out of character. I'm starting to wonder if going back to Thailand permanently is a way to let Kyle down easy. She's shared that she's unhappy in the US and away from her family. I believe that, but I also think that she's not that happy with Kyle and is too nice to hurt his feelings. Sure she asked him to come with her, but she knows he'll want to return to the states, and she's willing to forego that option for herself, so it's almost as good as saying they have no long-term future together.

• Love 9

^^^^ I tend to agree.

I think if she really wanted to be with Kyle, she would be more flexible on this.  It seems there is a middle ground between not seeing her dad and them both moving permanently to Thailand. 

Its great that she loves her dad so much, but what if he dies in the next couple of years? Will she still want to live in Thailand then?

If she's done with Kyle, then it was really cold hearted of her to let him leave his life in New Orleans and move to Portland.  I feel like she just wants out the whole thing and is passively aggressively ending the relationship and her time in the U.S.  She has been very straightforward about returning to Thailand for more than 6 months and that she doesn't care about returning to the U.S.  It seems like Kyle is trying to compromise but she just won't have it.

• Love 4

I feel really sad for Kyle.  He really seems to care about Noon's happiness.  I know she's homesick and she got mugged or burgled in NOLA.  She seemed to like that  Portland has a Thai community.  

Kyle likely can't just go to Thailand and be able to work or do what he wants when he gets there. I don't see any deceit in Noon; I just think she doesn't understand that one can't come and go Willy nilly when it comes to matters of immigration.  Can't she just go there for a month to see how her dad is doing?

in many cultures, daughters are expected to do the heavy lifting, even when there's able bodied sons living at home.  I have a friend from Vietnam who had  to put up with that crap from her own family. The Confucian values Noon has been taught tell her that a dutiful daughter helps her parents; for all we know, she may be an only child.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, pickle said:

when I hear Noon speaking, you can tell she is coming from an emotional place -- she said compared to citizenship or the green card, her dad and the time with him is more important. her mom didn't tell her earlier that her dad was sick. we don't know the family dynamics but it seems like noon is afraid that her mom informing her indicates that her dad might be really sick. also, it is quite common in Thailand to have international couples (where the spouse is Thai) permanently settled there and unlike her, he is not tied to his family and so it would be easier for him to move. so, from her perspective, why can't Kyle move? if she moved halfway across the world for him, why can't he? it seems like a fair question.

He doesn't speak Thai, & it's a very different culture. I was just saying on the Alexei/Loren board how it has to be more difficult for the Americans to settle in elsewhere given cultural differences & especially language barriers, which would make it difficult to work & have a real life there. She speaks English well, & it's easier for her to find a niche here, especially when her husband deliberately researched & moved them to a place where she would feel more at home. She was connecting with other Thai people already, speaking their language together while Kyle was excluded.

I feel for her with her parents/father, but she knew what she was getting into coming here in that that she wouldn't be seeing them everyday anymore. She can always visit; no reason to push her husband into moving there. But then again I still think it's probably all a fake story line.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, pickle said:

with international couples, it is always going to be a different culture for one of them. noon's english isn't great and it limits the job opportunities she can get.  that said, it does sound like some exaggerated story line for TLC. but, it is an interesting question to wonder why the foreign spouse is expected to give up their comfortable life to uproot and why the american spouse won't do the same. someone has got to make the sacrifice but why can't the sacrifice go both ways?

I think that needs to be well thought out before an American marries a foreigner, given that is a possibility that they may ask, & if it's not an option for the American for whatever reason, they shouldn't even get into that kind of relationship because otherwise it will be quite one-sided.

An issue is if there is an agreement beforehand about them living in the US, then the spouse changes his/her mind at some point, & feels visiting is not enough. Then they're in a bit of a 'pickle' (sorry; that was bad of me pickle ;-/).

2 hours ago, pickle said:

with international couples, it is always going to be a different culture for one of them. noon's english isn't great and it limits the job opportunities she can get.  that said, it does sound like some exaggerated story line for TLC. but, it is an interesting question to wonder why the foreign spouse is expected to give up their comfortable life to uproot and why the american spouse won't do the same. someone has got to make the sacrifice but why can't the sacrifice go both ways?

I think the biggest issue is that if they went over there and stayed longer than her green card allows, they'd be starting over from scratch if she wanted to come back to the US, and it could be hard for him to return as well.  Once she got her citizenship, she can travel more freely.  He was asking her to be patient. If it's not manufactured drama, I feel she's being a tad unreasonable.

• Love 1
On October 28, 2016 at 2:48 AM, pickle said:

when I hear Noon speaking, you can tell she is coming from an emotional place -- she said compared to citizenship or the green card, her dad and the time with him is more important. her mom didn't tell her earlier that her dad was sick. we don't know the family dynamics but it seems like noon is afraid that her mom informing her indicates that her dad might be really sick. also, it is quite common in Thailand to have international couples (where the spouse is Thai) permanently settled there and unlike her, he is not tied to his family and so it would be easier for him to move. so, from her perspective, why can't Kyle move? if she moved halfway across the world for him, why can't he? it seems like a fair question.

I'm not sure about Thai culture, but in many Asian cultures, from my experience people downplay their medical status (i.e. Saying its just a cold when it's really pneumonia) as to not cause their loved ones to fear or be upset. That Noon's mom is telling her dad isn't doing too hot, tells me that the poor man really is ill. I don't recall what Noon's mother said he was dealing with, but from Noon's reaction it seemed like a downplaying it thing. I do agree with Arwen Evenstar though, she may have undue pressure on her as a daughter. 

I can COMPLETELY understand her desire to go back, heaven forbid her father take a turn for the worse and pass away, she would never forgive herself. My own mother passed away from a terminal illness, and I was actually in the process of putting in a long-term leave of absence to take care of her when it happened, when she died I was actually home on vacation that week getting paperwork from her doctors to support my case to my job. Like Noon, I was also a newlywed, young, no kids yet or no really strong anchor to one place. After mom passed I was home for an additional 3 weeks settling her affairs, and Mr. Slide was patient through it all. Then again, a month in a different state is totally different than indefinitely in a different country. Still, if I could go back, I would've quit my job and taken at least the last 3 months of her life off, talking to her, loving on her and just absorbing as much of her essence before she left this earth.

No matter how sticky things may get with her greencard , her parents are her parents and immigration really doesn't matter in the long term scheme of things. Being there for a loved one who may or may not be here long is. This is especially true when you're still pretty young and your bond is still almost childlike in intensity, before the bond starts to weaken with the passage of time and marriage and children. 

Edited by ChaChaSlide
Run on paragraph because I was a bit emotional
  • Love 9

@ChaChaSlide...excellent points. Noon loves her parents clearly. She seemed happy to be here until her dad got sick. Now, she's experiencing the down side of immigration. This is a predicament that many who are in immigration limbo, particularly those waiting years for a green card, can't even leave the country at all.  At least with a green card, even a provisional one, allows her to at least visit. 

I think she's too upset right now to think rationally.  

• Love 1
21 hours ago, funky-rat said:

I think the biggest issue is that if they went over there and stayed longer than her green card allows, they'd be starting over from scratch if she wanted to come back to the US, and it could be hard for him to return as well.

Just curious, why would it be hard for  him to return? He is a US citizen, right? Born in the US, I presume? Or do you mean it could be hard for him to return without Noon? 

• Love 1

The agreement was for Noon to marry an American man and live in America. There's no reason why she can't visit home for longish periods of time instead of trying to strong arm her husband into living in Thailand permanently. What's with all these people deciding that their original situation is suddenly not good enough? I guess the best we can say here is that she's not trying to slowly dump him and move elsewhere in the states (hi Paola, hi Mohamed). 

But really - you wanted the husband, there are sacrifices. I've moved and left family. My husband got a better job and we started over. I didn't threaten to stay behind. Marriage is a huge sacrifice at times, and these green card seeking guys and gals know what they're getting into. 

• Love 4

I seriously think that much like the drama with the mother this is manufactured tlc nonsense of an issue that gets built up for the storyline but then is easily resolved because Kyle and Noon love one another and don't have much else going for a storyline other than they are basically happy together.