Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: P-I-LOT

Big Mother

20 hours ago, alexvillage said:

Yes, but fighting this type of abuse is time consuming, it is draining and not really easy.

I was part of an IEP for similar circumstances for another kid and the district representative lied - blatantly - about what she was saying. The meeting was being recorded (not on tape, she wouldn't allow it) via CART, so the lie is there. That didn't change anything though. She wasn't fired, punished, she continues to fight against support for the kids.

Something like this is the show would be great, if done right - by right I mean with satire but not holding any punches

Yeah. When I was in 2nd grade, the district was mainstreaming me - they told my parents that my services wouldn't be affected, I would just be regular classes.

My parents never knew that they stopped occupational therapy 100%. Until I told them when I was in like 10th grade that the second I entered third grade, I never saw the OT again. After I graduated, I looked at my sped file, and saw notes between the sped head and case manager talking about my OT & PT - apparently, they would've had to hire another OT full time with the hours I needed, so they decided to cut my services (and the services of other kids) without informing parents.

Because of their decision, I will never be able to write my name legibly without spending 1-2 minutes to write it. My first & last name have 12 letters between them.

On 9/22/2016 at 0:11 PM, Hanahope said:

I'm assuming 9-12 school and the two younger kids are 14 (girl) and 15 (boy).

I think the daughter is 12. Some school buildings are large enough accommodate both a middle and a high school, as my son's school does. 

ON 9/22/2016 AT 3:45 AM, LEKOBOY SAID:

I liked G. Gordon-Leavitt in the planetarium, but isn't he too old to be dating a highschool boy?  He was a teen years ago on 30 Rock.

On 9/30/2016 at 4:22 PM, Duke2801 said:

Errr... say what now?  I guess you're implying that the other son's "love interest" looks like Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who was once on 3rd Rock From the Sun?  In which case, yeah, I would have to disagree heartily. 

I guess people see things differently--I'm totally on board with Lekoboy. When I saw Jillian in the planetarium, my first thought was that she looked like a young JGL. 

23 minutes ago, topanga said:

I think the daughter is 12. Some school buildings are large enough accommodate both a middle and a high school, as my son's school does. 

I guess people see things differently--I'm totally on board with Lekoboy. When I saw Jillian in the planetarium, my first thought was that she looked like a young JGL. 

Be that as it may, he was still never on 30 Rock.

I guess I've been really lucky.

My son was diagnosed with autism at 20 months of age. From 22 months of age until he turned 3, he received 3 hours of ABA daily and half an hour of speech and OT daily, provided by Early Intervention.

From age 3-5 he went to a Special ed center where he got 6 hours a day; 1/2 hour of OT, 1/2 hour of speech, and 5 hours of special ed/ABA. All covered by Board of Ed.

From 5-6 he went to a private special ed school, which we settled via attorney - the tuition was basically fully paid by NYC.

When he was 6, community activists actually sat down with the BOE and convinced them to establish a bilingual autism program in one of the public schools. My son is there for the third year.

Unfortunately, his behaviors and sensory issues are so severe that living at home is virtually impossible for him anymore. So after a year of red tape and hand wringing, the Board of Ed has now approved him for residential schooling. NYState has some incredible residential schools for special needs kids.

I'm so grateful... yes I had to fight, and no, my son has not improved all that much over the years -he will never be independent and I don't think he'll ever be able to speak, and my heart breaks to shreds over his impending move to residential, but my gratitude to the plethora of services and ease in accessing it is boundless.

NY also has MANY respite providers, summer camps, medicaid services agencies, medical practitioners.... I think it's still the best state for a child with autism.

Then again, my son is on the severe end of the spectrum. I don't know about a higher functioning child.

Sorry for going off topic.

Cheers :) (in a Minnie Driver voice. )

• Love 1

I just watched this show for the first time and I really liked it. I marathoned all five available episodes. I have tried several other new sitcoms and this is the first one that felt 'fresh' and well written to me. I agree that the mom could be toned down a bit, but otherwise I loved all the characters. The two policemen made me laugh, but for some reason my favorite line was when Kenneth and JJ were on the ride at the end and JJ screamed and Kenneth said, "He said, AHH". That totally cracked me up!

On a more shallow note, as a woman who has recently decided to embrace my curls and stop straightening them,  I love that Minnie Driver's hair was curly. 

• Love 1