Type keyword(s) to search

Lorelai Gilmore: The 10(+) Things I Hate About You

TwirlyGirly
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, paulina said:

I'm so glad I found you. 

I'm watching all seasons right now, and I absolutely hate Lorelai. She is self-centered, selfish and a huge hypocrite. 

She thinks only abou herself, so often not thinking about Rory even. So disrespectful to her parents, when they trying to have any relationship with her. And she's so jealous of Rory when she's having any relationships with their grandparents.

And don't forget the episode when a wedding planner lost her job due another Lorelais funny joke with seating chart.

Oh, and I'm sure she will not marry Luke, and she will get back with Chris. And yet she blame her mother of that break up when she was the one having secret drinking date with him.

Asking respectfully and out of curiosity, if you hate the main character of a show, why are you watching it?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Asking respectfully and out of curiosity, if you hate the main character of a show, why are you watching it?

I hate-watch The Pioneer Woman...and so do you. Maybe it;s something like that?

• Love 3
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

I hate-watch The Pioneer Woman...and so do you. Maybe it;s something like that?

Hah! I don't even hate-watch Pioneer Woman. I can't change the channel fast enough when she comes on. I just enjoy the snark.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

For me, it's because I love the Stars Hollow "world" and the other characters in it. 

If there were a real Stars Hollow, I'd move there in a heartbeat - but I'd give Lorelei a very wide berth (and enjoy privately mocking her for her sense of entitlement, and, as mentioned by @paulina, her blatant hypocrisy).

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

For me, it's because I love the Stars Hollow "world" and the other characters in it. 

If there were a real Stars Hollow, I'd move there in a heartbeat - but I'd give Lorelei a very wide berth (and enjoy privately mocking her for her sense of entitlement, and, as mentioned by @paulina, her blatant hypocrisy).

Yep, as much fun as it is to watch, if I lived there I would never go into Luke's if I thought she'd be there. She really is obnoxious.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I like the show, and she's not the only main character. I just watched the last episode od season 6. And felt so sorry for her when she was watching the photos of the house for Luke and her, and later on she didn't let me down. As I suspected she end up in bed with Chris. Even after thing with Luke, running to your ex to have a sex with him - so Lorelai.

I bet in near future she will blame everyone else but her (especially her mother) for her break up with Luke.

• Love 1

Gilmore Girls is one of my favorite shows. I've watched every episode more times than I can count, except Season 7, because with ASP not being involved, it just felt off. That said, the series finale never fails to bring me to tears. And I adore Lauren Graham - I think she did an amazing job playing Lorelai.

• Love 5

I have nothing against the actress, just the character. And maybe the show wouldn't be any good without her. Any how I hate Lorelai and I find her annoying as hell. 

Maybe if you love Lauren Graham so much, that just cloud your judgement of Lorelai?

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, paulina said:

I have nothing against the actress, just the character. And maybe the show wouldn't be any good without her. Any how I hate Lorelai and I find her annoying as hell. 

Maybe if you love Lauren Graham so much, that just cloud your judgement of Lorelai?

Nope, just don't agree with you. And that's okay. 

• Love 4
(edited)
7 hours ago, paulina said:

<snip>As I suspected she end up in bed with Chris. Even after thing with Luke, running to your ex to have a sex with him - so Lorelai.

<snip>

This is probably my most-hated storyline. Lorelai giving Luke an ultimatum, then when he refuses to immediately marry her, drops him, has sex with Chris, and then tells Luke what she's done. 

When I think back to all the kind things Like did for Lorelai - and Rory - over the years, asking for nothing in return, Lorelai deliberately hurting him that way is unconscionable. 

During the ultimatum scene, Lorelai saying to Luke (paraphrasing) "You have to figure out how April fits into our lives, not the other way around!"

Unbelievable. Can you imagine if Luke had said that to Lorelai, when she told him she didn't want marry him until her issues with Rory were resolved? But Luke never would say that, because he respected the relationship between Lorelai and Rory and knew how important it was to her. Lorelai had no respect for the relationship between Luke and April, when their relationship affected her.

But Lorelai can't bear not to be someone else's number one priority. She expects others to drop everything to be at her beck and call, and to bow to her sensibilities at all times. Yet she refuses to bow to the sensibilities of others.

For example, when Paul Anka was sick, she took him to the vet (who said he'd be fine) - and then called Luke, sobbing, telling him Paul Anka was some kind of a hybrid and therefore the vet didn't know what they were talking about. She wanted Luke to rush right over to comfort her. Ridiculous!

Yet, when her father called her about her mother's issues with the DAR because Lorelai refused to go to the Bowie concert with Peyton, Lorelai laughed and refused to do anything to smooth things over.

Her mother's issue with the DAR was just as ridiculous as Lorelai's with Paul Anka, but Lorelai expects people to indulge her, while refusing to indulge others.

I think the reason I feel so strongly about Lorelai is because I've met women like her. They're cute, witty, charming, and flirtatious - and because of those traits, often get away with treating others horribly. (To be fair, there are men like that, too).

Now you may think I'm someone who is unfortunate looking, with few social skills, and thus I'm just jealous of the Lorelai's of the world...but I'm not. When I was Lorelai's age, I was cute, witty, charming, and flirtatious, too. But I never, EVER used those traits as an excuse to treat other people poorly - male or female.

Unfortunately, I never found a Luke (well, if I did they weren't interested in me, probably because in real life there are several cute, witty, charming, and flirtatious women from which a Luke can choose, while Lorelai appears to be the only model of that type in Stars Hollow).

If a Luke had expressed an interest in me, I would have snatched him up, treated him like a king, and never let him go!

Edited by TwirlyGirly
  • Love 7

TwirlyGirly, you are so right about Lorelai.

She's accusing her mother of manipulating her and others, and what she does??? Not talking to Luke, but expecting him to do what she wants. 

I'm on the 14th episode of s.7 (btw. I'm home with broken right arm, so there's not much to do for me, so I've watched almost all episodes) and Chris is even worse than Lorelai, jealous of Luke, cuz he's in Gilmore's life, helping them and being there when he just walked out on his own daughter. He can be jealous but first and mostly he should be grateful to Luke for all the help given over the years.  

• Love 2
On 7/13/2019 at 11:17 PM, chessiegal said:

There is a real trend in writing over the past few decades: the rise of the anti-hero. A good example for me is Breaking Bad. 

The protagonist doesn’t have many of the usual characteristics of a classical hero: virtue, courage, special skills.

Instead the anti-hero e.g. in BB is a killer with some redeemable qualities.

Lorelai Gilmore is not a Breaking Bad level anti-hero. She also isn’t very likeable in many ways as often described in this forum. 

I continued to watch GG with the hope that she would actually learn, but it didn’t happen. She was selfish to the end, with her setting the rules for the LL relationship in AYITL and other areas. My pleasure eventually came from familiarity with the  whole team of characters, except for mid-S6 through S7. That season and a half is dead to me. 

LOL, the irony just hit me that the Palladinos also treated S7 as dead to them. 

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, paulina said:

I like all seasons. I'm just so disappointed of Rory and Logan, but maybe they will make another season, and hope with more episodes.

Did you know about the Revival seasons?

3 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

Did you know about the Revival seasons?

A year in the life? I've just finished watching this, and still so mad about Rory and Logan ending. 

Do they want to make another mini serie?

40 minutes ago, paulina said:

A year in the life? I've just finished watching this, and still so mad about Rory and Logan ending. 

Yes, that one. Just making sure you knew about it!

Although as @Kohola3 said, it was pretty much garbage so you wouldn't have missed much, heh.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

Yes, that one. Just making sure you knew about it!

Although as @Kohola3 said, it was pretty much garbage so you wouldn't have missed much, heh.

You're both right, not the best part of the show. I just don't like the ending. Ending of season 7 was better, closing the show. The mini-series was so overdone with goodbyes and still not giving closure with this pregnancy.

But I did like that all cast came back. It's amazing. 

And the thing with the book? I tought they gonna publish a book, and yet nothing.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, paulina said:

You're both right, not the best part of the show. I just don't like the ending. Ending of season 7 was better, closing the show. The mini-series was so overdone with goodbyes and still not giving closure with this pregnancy.

But I did like that all cast came back. It's amazing. 

And the thing with the book? I tought they gonna publish a book, and yet nothing.

Not to mention that ridiculous wedding.

• Love 1
(edited)
21 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Not to mention that ridiculous wedding.

You know what really annoyed me?

Do you recall the scene at the Gilmore's after Lorelai told her mother her wedding to Max was off, and Emily said she would have to return the gift she'd bought them?

Lorelai went on and on, trying to get her mother to tell her what the gift was..

"Iced tea spoons, right?

Because nobody really needs iced tea spoons ever. I mean, you probably would use 'em if you remembered to use 'em but nobody remembers to use 'em because they're always in a different drawer than the everyday silverware. Out of sight, out of mind. So people just grab a regular old everyday spoon to stir with, and you know what, they work fine."

"Corn on the cob holder thingies! Sterling silver corn on the cob holder thingies?"

"The tiny forks with the tiny handles and the tiny prongs I can only assume are used to eat the tiny food?"

Finally, fed up with being badgered by Lorelai to reveal the gift, Emily said she would save it until Lorelai did get married.

I wanted Emily to give Lorelai (and Luke) that gift for their wedding (in A Year in the Life) because I wanted to know what the hell it was!!! 

Now I'll never know...and it's making me crazy. 

I care more about that than whether the Wookie did it!

Edited by TwirlyGirly
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

Even though I've watched every episode at least 20 times (except Season 7), this thread has me watching reruns on UP TV (too lazy to pop in the episodes I have on disc, all of them) to see what I missed about how horrible Lorelai is. Still not seeing it, so I'll just show myself out the door.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Even though I've watched every episode at least 20 times (except Season 7), this thread has me watching reruns on UP TV (too lazy to pop in the episodes I have on disc, all of them) to see what I missed about how horrible Lorelai is. Still not seeing it, so I'll just show myself out the door.

I don't think she's horrible. I think she's a great mom and a good friend. I don't really blame her for how she feels about her parents ( I had parents very much like them) I just think she's kind of an attention whore who would get on my last nerve if I had to be around her.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 7/17/2019 at 9:12 PM, TwirlyGirly said:

I wanted Emily to give Lorelai (and Luke) that gift for their wedding (in A Year in the Life) because I wanted to know what the hell it was!!! 

Now I'll never know...and it's making me crazy. 

I care more about that than whether the Wookie did it!

Yeah, I think she just said to shut her up. After that she wanted to buy Lorelai and Luke a house as the wedding gift for their first planned wedding. 

peacheslatour - Maybe Richard and Emily  weren't perfect, cool parents. But honestly, besides being stricted and not very warm, what is so horrible about them?

So many parents tries to get rid of pregnancy of their teenage daughter, or forced to giving the baby up for adoption, throwing their pregnant kid out of the house. Was Lorelai beaten as a child, molested, abused, forced to work, starving? No. She was sort of spoiled and privileged, went to very expesive private school.

And she compared her mother to Stalin in the interview for a magazine. Seriously? Was she that bad? 

And really she was trying to manipulate Rory as well, with apllying to diffrent colleges than Harvar, with Harvard obsession (which was her own), with Yale, with Jess, with Logan, with her grandparents.

And I feel that Lorelai played a huge role in breaking Rory and Logan up. After all I think Rory regrets not accepting the proposal, cuz she is still in love with Logan and is not able to tell him to not get married and to be with her instead. That might be the influence of her mother screwed up relationships with men.  

• Love 4

peacheslatour - Maybe Richard and Emily  weren't perfect, cool parents. But honestly, besides being stricted and not very warm, what is so horrible about them?

So many parents tries to get rid of pregnancy of their teenage daughter, or forced to giving the baby up for adoption, throwing their pregnant kid out of the house. Was Lorelai beaten as a child, molested, abused, forced to work, starving? No. She was sort of spoiled and privileged, went to very expesive private school.

Of course not. It's not that kind of a show. Emily and Richard were controlling, demeaning, rude, pretentious snobs who thought they were better than everyone else.  Money does not make a great life, believe me I know.  Using money to control people is cruel and wrong.  Money doesn't make you kind or smart or "superior" to anyone .

• Love 2

I think the show was in kind of a hard place - the storyline only worked if Lorelai had moved out as a teen and raised Rory alone.  But then to have Richard and Emily as characters in the show, they can't realistically be integrated into the show as well as they were if they had done something heinous to prompt that.  But then on the other hand, it kinda leaves you wondering if Lorelai's leaving had more to do with teenage angst than actual bad parenting by the Gilmores.

So it is as inconsistent as their money situation, and I just kinda hand-wave it most of the time to enjoy the show.

We shouldn’t forget that Lorelai was nearly eighteen when she left. Rory was over a year old, either a little or a lot. It’s conceivable that Lorelai was just a month or two from being an adult.

There’s never a good time to leave in anger, but I think she left at a reasonable age. 

The reason she left I place completely at Emily’s door. Her treatment of maids and her looking down on others during the show tells me this was also how she behaved toward her daughter, only with higher expectations. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, junienmomo said:

The reason she left I place completely at Emily’s door. Her treatment of maids and her looking down on others during the show tells me this was also how she behaved toward her daughter, only with higher expectations.

Just the way that Emily and Richard behaved in the pilot is enough for me, though there are so many more examples as the series went on. Richard and Emily both belittling Lorelai at the first Friday Night Dinner showed why she left and kept contact limited to holidays.

Emily and Richard weren't evil but they were horrible parents who thought that giving Lorelai her own room and sending her to a fancy private school were all that was required of them. Expressing affection and love never crossed their minds. Getting to know her and her interests was beneath them. I always come back to one of Emily's lines from the fight with Lorelai in Rory's Dance "I put you in good schools. I gave you the best of everything. I made sure you had the finest opportunities." That was how they viewed parenting. Lorelai's own approach to parenting had its flaws but she made sure Rory knew she was loved, knew she was valued, and knew that she had support to pursue what she wanted. The result was that, even though they didn't have the financial resources of Emily and Richard, Rory had a far better and happier childhood than Lorelai.

• Love 6

That Lorelai had any self confidence at all was a miracle. Her father was so cold to her that time that Chris's dad practically called her a whore and her mother's constant derision. Emily would call Lorelai while she was at work to berate her, that's the kind of thing that could rock a person's professionalism.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Emily and Richard weren't evil but they were horrible parents who thought that giving Lorelai her own room and sending her to a fancy private school were all that was required of them.

20 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

That Lorelai had any self confidence at all was a miracle.

These things are so true.

I’ve often wondered if a Lorelai who stayed in Hartford would have been a lot like Logan. She didn’t have a dynasty on her shoulders, but Emily was determined that she and later Rory must marry beyond the Gilmore class. Compared to the Haydens and the Huntzbergers, the Gilmores were wealthy, but not as rich as the Haydens much less the Huntzbergers.

• Love 2

The wealth of the Gilmores depends on the mood of the writers. While it was clear the Huntzbergers were more wealthy, I'm not sure about the Haydens. If Richard's mother had enough money to build a maternity ward at the hospital, when she died why didn't he inherit a fortune? So much inconsistency in the writing.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

While it was clear the Huntzbergers were more wealthy, I'm not sure about the Haydens. 

I agree.  The Huntzbergers were definitely on a different level, but I never once got the impression the Haydens were.  What leads you to believe that, @junienmomo?

36 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

If Richard's mother had enough money to build a maternity ward at the hospital, when she died why didn't he inherit a fortune?

Maybe she left it all to Pennilyn Lott.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
(edited)
38 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

When you see Lorelai and Rory showing up at Chris's parents home after his father dies, they are at an albeit large colonial house on the street - nothing like the mansion the Gilmores live in.

We do know Chris' grandfather was fabulously wealthy. When Chris inherited from him, he was talking about buying castles and being able to finance educations, divorces and Ferraris. I don't know about Strode and whatshername.

Edited by peacheslatour
36 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

We do know Chris' grandfather was fabulously wealthy. When Chris inherited from him, he was talking about buying castles and being able to finance educations, divorces and Ferraris. I don't know about Strode and whatshername.

Yeah, I think it was Gramps that had the loot.  Straub was an attorney and Francine seemed like a corporate wife like Emily.  Attorney income wouldn't be in the zillions but neither would an insurance executive's except in Gilmorelandia where Richard can afford to fund a building at Yale.

• LOL 2

The Gilmore fortune is one thing on this show that I can't stand.  I'm fine with it up until the point Trix dies - then it just gets ridiculous.  Richard needs his pension to live on and they discuss health insurance and only travel to Europe certain times, but Trix can build a maternity ward, a settlement from a eye surgery complication can build a building at Yale, etc.  It makes no sense.

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 4:33 PM, scarynikki12 said:

I put you in good schools. I gave you the best of everything. I made sure you had the finest opportunities." That was how they viewed parenting. Lorelai's own approach to parenting had its flaws but she made sure Rory knew she was loved, knew she was valued, and knew that she had support to pursue what she wanted. The result was that, even though they didn't have the financial resources of Emily and Richard, Rory had a far better and happier childhood than Lorelai.

Rory also went to a good school and had the finest of opportunities, though.  So, you can't really say Lorelai grew up with only money and Rory grew up with only love.

I also don't feel like Lorelai grew up in a loveless home. I think it was too strict for her taste, and yes, her parents were probably more distant than some others.  But, I don't think that's the same as not loving her.  A lot of their peers would have thrown out their pregnant teen daughter, including the Haydens. I think they are by far the worse set of parents.

• Love 4

The difference is that Rory knew she was loved and supported so Lorelai doing everything she could to get her into Chilton was another example of that. Richard and Emily may have loved Lorelai but they never told her or showed her. They thought that good parenting meant providing her with things that are nice (room, fancy schools) but mean nothing compared to a hug, or an I Love You, or spending time together. Lorelai did all of that with Rory. Emily and Richard didn’t do the same with her. 

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

The difference is that Rory knew she was loved and supported so Lorelai doing everything she could to get her into Chilton was another example of that. Richard and Emily may have loved Lorelai but they never told her or showed her. They thought that good parenting meant providing her with things that are nice (room, fancy schools) but mean nothing compared to a hug, or an I Love You, or spending time together. Lorelai did all of that with Rory. Emily and Richard didn’t do the same with her. 

Plus they never had to strive the way Lorelai did. Emily never worked a day in her life. Rory grew up watching her mother work very hard and progress to the highest position available at the Independence Inn. Lorelai never dated while Rory was very young, she denied herself many pleasures so that Rory was never without. 

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Richard and Emily may have loved Lorelai but they never told her or showed her.

Do we really know that?  We don't have a lot of flashbacks into Lorelai's youth and those that we do have involve her being pregnant, for the most part.  Emily followed Lorelai all around that spa to spend time with her.  Yes, it annoyed the heck out of Lorelai, but are we sure Emily never tried to spend time with her in the past and was equally rebuffed because Lorelai saw her (and Richard) as too stodgy? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Do we really know that?  We don't have a lot of flashbacks into Lorelai's youth and those that we do have involve her being pregnant, for the most part.  Emily followed Lorelai all around that spa to spend time with her.  Yes, it annoyed the heck out of Lorelai, but are we sure Emily never tried to spend time with her in the past and was equally rebuffed because Lorelai saw her (and Richard) as too stodgy? 

Yeah, I just always look to the one flashback episode we did get (Dear Emily & Richard) and say what you will about their parenting, Lorelai didn't look all that unhappy in any of the scenes we got.  Certainly not anything that matched what she spent all those years bitching about.  Even when she was fully pregnant (which one could argue would naturally be the most tense time) she was just in her room, happily munching on a pepper sandwich watching TV when she went into labor.

I fully believe E/R were stifling and Lorelai chafed under their rules (though no more so than any 15 - 16 year old would) but they were never unloving.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

I fully believe E/R were stifling and Lorelai chafed under their rules (though no more so than any 15 - 16 year old would) but they were never unloving.

I think a lot of it is Lorelai's personality - I know when I was 17, I wouldn't have had the nerve/courage to strike out on my own even if my parents were stifling me.  However, I also think they could be unloving at times.  Much like Lorelai froze Rory out when she disapproved of her choices, I could see her having learned that from E&R.  Plus different ancedotes from her childhood (not being able to keep a nanny due to ear infections, teasing her about her head size to the point where she destroyed all pictures) lead me to think things were somewhere between teenage angst and horrible parenting.  

It does bother me though the episode where she talks about people that shouldn't be parents and names hers in the same sequence as Hitler and Bin Laden.  But I think that is more her natural tendency towards hyperbole than anything we're supposed to over think.

1 hour ago, deaja said:

Plus different anecdotes from her childhood (not being able to keep a nanny due to ear infections, teasing her about her head size to the point where she destroyed all pictures) lead me to think things were somewhere between teenage angst and horrible parenting.  

Yeah, I can see that too.  I just know from personal experience -- my middle child has such a different personality than the other two, he can't take a joke to save his life whereas I can say stuff like "I hate everyone here, just so you know" to my other two (I've done it before....often....playing board games with them LOL) and they laugh it off -- that sometimes perception really doesn't equal intent, and it takes maturity to recognize that.  And since Lorelai never let herself move past the maturity level of a 16 - 17 yo with her parents (by cutting them out of her life at that point) she let that immature perception of them color the way she feels about what kind of parents they were.

I would totally feel differently, btw, if 1) we didn't get flashes from time to time that Emily & Richard really did care deeply about Lorelai and showed her in their own way (but she didn't necessarily recognize it as such), and 2) we didn't have the flashbacks in DEaR that showed her in that time period being more happy and content than she had presented herself to be, as I pointed out earlier.

As an aside, I think Christopher probably did have as miserable a childhood as Lorelai claimed she had, because I never once saw anything out of Straub or Francine that indicated they ever had a moment with him that didn't involve them being cold, overbearing, and disappointed in him as a whole.  Or at least Straub was that way and Francine was too cowed to be her own person and parent in her own way.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

As an aside, I think Christopher probably did have as miserable a childhood as Lorelai claimed she had, because I never once saw anything out of Straub or Francine that indicated they ever had a moment with him that didn't involve them being cold, overbearing, and disappointed in him as a whole.  Or at least Straub was that way and Francine was too cowed to be her own person and parent in her own way.

It actually may have been interesting to see her after Straub died.

And also, important to note, I think.  Once Richard and Emily got enough access to Rory to get to know her, they were quite loving to her.  We don't know how they treated her when they only saw her at Easter and Christmas, but she was awkward around them, not scared.  Straub on the other hand, took the first opportunity to tell her he wished that she had never been born.  OK, not in so many words, but I think it was pretty clear to all in that room, including Rory, that that was what he meant.  The scene with Emily in the kitchen after that is one of my favorites with Emily.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Once Richard and Emily got enough access to Rory to get to know her, they were quite loving to her.  We don't know how they treated her when they only saw her at Easter and Christmas, but she was awkward around them, not scared.  Straub on the other hand, took the first opportunity to tell her he wished that she had never been born.  OK, not in so many words, but I think it was pretty clear to all in that room, including Rory, that that was what he meant.

Dear heavens, you just made me tear up. 

Straub was a truly terrible person.  I hope his death was painful and felt like an eternity to him.

• Love 3