Type keyword(s) to search

Hannibal in the Media

(edited)

Hannibal won Hulu's Best in Show bracket, beating the final season of Parks % Recreation in the final round.  I can't remember: didn't it win last year, too?  Either way, not bad for this little show.  If nothing else, a good excuse for a nice drink and maybe a dinner party, assuming Dr. Lecter isn't the one doing the cooking!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 2

From the EW interview;

That was one of the big challenges in terms of how do we keep our promise [to not tell rape stories] to our audience—which is largely female—and also service the novel.

So is this true? I quite remember lots of discussion about this. Comments suggesting that the main demo is male and this is why the show got renewed.

I noticed that comment, too, greenbean.  I wonder why.

I've often been interested in the fact that it's claimed to be mostly women who are interested in serial killer stories.*  

I usually ascribe that to the "better the evil you know than the evil you don't know" aphorism.

*But, note, most of the writers about serial killing (except, maybe, Anne Rule) are men.

• Love 1

Wow, is that a pretentious review.  But the, the show is sort of pretentious.  I kind of love that about the show, and yet find it annoying about the review.  

Anyway, glad the show is back. 

• Love 1
(edited)

If there's anyone on here in the UK, episode 3x01 is available to watch already on Sky Catch Up, a week before the official UK premiere.

ETA: Just noticed that it isn't airing till tonight in the US!  How did we, in the UK get it first?

Edited by Hybridcookie

Realistically, how long do we need to wait for last night's ratings? I'm feeling greedy and impatient, and don't usually follow that sort of thing, but since reading Fuller's comments on preparing each season like it's the last, I'm interested to see if the move to summer gave us a ratings bump.

I'm so sad about this.

I hope they have the international money to allow them to take the show to another network/venue.  It was always too good for NBC.

I think Amazon said that Hannibal would always have a home with them, so I expect that to be the next move. Fuller didn't seem too disappointed in an interview (not wanting to burn bridges with NBC?), so I think there's another play going on.

I think Amazon said that Hannibal would always have a home with them, so I expect that to be the next move. Fuller didn't seem too disappointed in an interview (not wanting to burn bridges with NBC?), so I think there's another play going on.

Probably. Guess I won't be able to watch it for a long time. I don't plan on ever getting an Amazon Prime subscription. $99 a year is just too rich for my blood. I'm already paying over that for cable.

Good luck to them though.

• Love 5

Surprised they did it so early, but yeah, I figured it was coming.  Ratings somehow got even lower, if that was even possible.  Again, I'm just happy we even got three seasons.  And I really don't think a streaming service picking it up is that far from reach.  It has enough going for it to make it, well, appetizing, for either Amazon or Netflix to pick it up.

That said, yeah, I wish they would just go ahead and make the entire season on demand now.  I think it would be a great show to binge.

• Love 4

Wow, I learn something new everyday. I had no idea about that June 30th deadline. With all the rumors about why NBC is canceling it now, this makes the most sense.

Also, y'all are hardcore. Spleen smoothie for all!

• Love 3
(edited)

If Amazon picks this up it might be enough for me to get Prime. I mean with Transparent

(Which isn't bad) and the back seasons of The Americans. It might finally be worth it.

Still to bad in the NBC cancelation.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

Would Prime also mean that it is available on Instant Video? Like, you could order an individual episode or a season? Or would it be just for Prime members?

I hope it ends up on Prime, but since I already have a Prime membership I'm thinking that would be too good to be true.  We are getting the rest of this season's eps on TV though, right?  At least that's how I read "NBC has decided to cancel Hannibal after this season".

Would Prime also mean that it is available on Instant Video? Like, you could order an individual episode or a season? Or would it be just for Prime members?

I think so. But I think you can only get it via Prime members. Wait, just checked... it looks like it's available for regular viewing too.

Here's some info about Amazon instant video. And here's some info about Amazon Instant Video Prime.

Only thing I don't like is that for some shows they only offer the first show for 'regular' non Prime members to view. Then they have to up to Prime to continue. That's why I wouldn't like it on mainly just Prime. It leaves some audience members out in the cold.

They have a 30 day free trial on there. Just double checked.

@aquarian: I hope it doesn't. Sorry, but it's just too expensive. I hope that it's available via regular Amazon so we can all watch it. I have a regular account on there. Don't plan on upgrading either.

Can't be mad at NBC, the show was given a fair chance and allowed Fuller complete control.

Being a current Amazon Prime member, hope that's where it lands.

I'm hoping it lands on general Amazon. Since not everyone can afford to get Prime or wants to move up to it. And the bigger audience they have, the better.

• Love 2

According to "The Hollywood Reporter":

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that there may have been a rights issue at the center of the decision to end the series as Fuller had wanted to introduce Clarice Starling in season four, with the rights to the character previously portrayed by Jodie Foster said to be unavailable. Producers Gaumont TV are currently exploring options to find another home for the series.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/hannibal-canceled-at-nbc-804239?

So . . . Ratings?  Rights?  Either way, the article said that producers are looking for a new home for the show.

• Love 2

I think so. But I think you can only get it via Prime members. Wait, just checked... it looks like it's available for regular viewing too.

Here's some info about Amazon instant video. And here's some info about Amazon Instant Video Prime.

Thanks. The whole thing seems overly complicated to me, but I guess that that sort of made sense. I guess that we shall see what happens if anything does.

• Love 2

Thanks. The whole thing seems overly complicated to me, but I guess that that sort of made sense. I guess that we shall see what happens if anything does.

You're welcome. It does to me too tbh. But oh well. Hopefully things will work out for everyone.

I don't think it'll be free anywhere, so whether it's Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, Netflix or something else I don't know about, people will have to pay to watch.  We just have to wait and see now.

I know, I'm just not all that interested in upping to Prime. We'd still have to pay via regular Amazon Instant Video. That's more than enough for me, money wise. As for Hulu and Netflix... they're around the same price as Prime now. So it's all pretty bad. I'd have to dump cable for it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. *shrug* Wish they could have it on regular Hulu. Heck all that is now is ad paradise along with junk clips. They don't have jack squat anymore. But the cost just isn't worth the out put imo.

• Love 1