Type keyword(s) to search

Hannibal in the Media

Yeah, at this point, I've kind of come to accept that it will probably get shut-out of the big categories like Drama and Acting (although, they couldn't even throw it a bone and give Gillian Anderson a Guest Nod?), but not even getting nominated for technical categories just really stings.  Nothing can beat it in Cinematography (I think I even like it over True Detective's).  Hell, I think it was even worthy of a Stunt Coordination nod.  That Jack/Hannibal brawl alone was better then anything The Blacklist, Revolution, or True Blood put out, IMO.

• Love 4

Two recent stories:

• AV Club: Lawrence Fishburne says that he'll be recurring on both Hannibal and Blackish.
  • EW: NBC expresses frustration that more of us aren't watching the show.

I'm looking forward to seeing if Jack Crawford actually survives the bloodbath or if he becomes another voice in Will's head.

• Love 4
EW: NBC expresses frustration that more of us aren't watching the show.

Gee, maybe if they took it out of the Friday Death Slot and decided to let people know it exists that might help.

People love American Horror Story and The Walking Dead, they loved Lost and Twin Peaks.  There is no reason why Hannibal can't be a flagship show.

Put in on Sunday night.

Promote the hell out of it. 

Done.

• Love 6

I wonder if, schedule permitting, they could get Mads over to do the U.S. talk show circuit before Season 3 premieres. Has he ever appeared on U.S. chat shows?

Producers should reward him handsomely for his troubles, but if he made the rounds of Fallon, Conan, Charlie Rose, heck - even Kelly & Michael (where their mostly female viewership could get a load of the sexy, sophisticated European guy), the show could get a big boost in viewers. He's been great in the interviews I've seen, and he could help convince a new viewer that they know enough about Hannibal to start with S3 (although they could always binge watch the first two).

Hugh Dancy is great in interviews, but I think having Mads -- the actor in the title role -- be more visible with PR could help.

• Love 5

Sunday nights already have plenty established shows on other networks, way too much competition (and NBC keeps trying to put new shows there and keeps failing).  They tried Thursday, didn't work. Hannibal is not even winning its own Friday time slot, moving it around likely won't help.  I do agree with more promotion though. 

But fundamentally, I think the show carries stigma around because it's NBC and because it's about Hannibal Lecter. Not fair, but true. It may just be one of those shows that will remain forever cult-ish.

As for Mads, I don't know, maybe he has better things to do than doing the US press junket...

• Love 1

NBC expresses frustration that more of us aren't watching the show

This sort of stuff frustrates me.  It feels like there's an out-of-date notion that people still all sit down at the same time to watch a show on TV.  I just don't think that's how it works now.  It's certainly not how I watch TV anymore, and it's not how most people I know watchTV.

• Love 1

This sort of stuff frustrates me.  It feels like there's an out-of-date notion that people still all sit down at the same time to watch a show on TV.  I just don't think that's how it works now.  It's certainly not how I watch TV anymore, and it's not how most people I know watchTV.

The only time I regularly watch TV live is on Sunday night, the  "prestige cable" shows, and that's because: 1) typically I'm home anyway, getting ready for the week, and 2) there are no annoying commercials to FF through (at least on HBO).  If I'm home on another night and don't have anything else to do, I'll watch live, but the idea of "appointment TV" (like Thursday nights on NBC in the 90s/00s, or the Shonda Rimes block on ABC) is sort of going away. 

• Love 1
(edited)

It feels like there's an out-of-date notion that people still all sit down at the same time to watch a show on TV.

Industry folks will often point to the 3 & 7 day DVR viewership for Hannibal and NBC is aware how the show doesn't necessarily inspire live viewing. Their target audience could be out on Friday night or people might avoid viewing it until daytime to avoid getting creeped out right before bed. And its viewership hasn't reached the critical mass of cult shows like Game of Thrones, where people feel like they'll be out of the loop if they don't watch it right away.

That said, NBC would probably like the 3 day plus numbers to be better and for live viewership to not continue sliding.

Hannibal is relatively cheap for NBC to broadcast and my guess is that the real frustration on the part of network execs is that the show doesn't generate the pop culture buzz and award recognition that it ought. Then they could point to the rabidity of the audience they do have and declare the show a success.

There was an interesting analysis by another EW writer a couple weeks ago (sorry, I do tend to read that over other industry sites) about why the show struggles and how he finally got sucked in after two seasons.

I think Bryan Fuller has done a good job of being fan friendly and engaging the existing audience. There are the live tweets during the US broadcasts, which help preempt viewer questions during commercial breaks and he shows genuine appreciation of the memes and fan art. Plus there are those extensive episode breakdowns after the West Coast showing on AV Club. 

Now everyone involved has to work on generating word-of-mouth to non-watchers. Probably in non-traditional methods. I've got to think that those Korean promos from the production company helped. Maybe piggyback on the popularity of other shows with crossover fan fic? I really don't know.

Edited by halopub
  • Love 1
(edited)
I think Bryan Fuller has done a good job of being fan friendly and engaging the existing audience. There are the live tweets during the US broadcasts, which help preempt viewer questions during commercial breaks and he shows genuine appreciation of the memes and fan art. Plus there are those extensive episode breakdowns after the West Coast showing on AV Club.

Fuller and many of the rest of the cast, writers, and crew have been very interactive.  Constant, detailed interviews and tweets galore, and there isn't a con he doesn't love.  (Fuller knows us because he's One Of Us.)  Hannibal does have a non-traditional and probably younger viewership:  as noted above it's a DVR'd show and has a highly actualized online fanbase.  Side note:  Hannibal fans helped to popularize the sinister and whimsical podcast "Welcome to Night Vale." 

If NBC can't turn Hannibal into appointment TV then they need to ditch trying to make that a goal, and play up the non-traditional viewership as a good thing; "the future of television viewing is here, blah blah," etc.  Take the quirks and make them the new standard.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 2

Side note:  Hannibal fans helped to popularize the sinister and whimsical podcast "Welcome to Night Vale." 

I found Welcome to Night Vale independently of the show...I love it and totally recommend it, BTW! Was unaware that it was actually popular or was popularized by Hannibal fans. Thanks for that @GreyBunny, learn something new everyday.

• Love 1

I watch the show sporadically so I know only bits and pieces.  But I just watched the cast and Bryan Fuller on the Paley Fest live stream (should be available on Yahoo Stream) and they were a hoot!  Now I really need the third season to come around ASAP. 

• Love 1

Sorry for posting twice in a row, but it has been 20 days since my last post...  Bryan Fuller tweeted a photo of Mikkelsen with a birthday cake last week 

and it looks like Ep 4 features some scenes of Hannibal back in his bloody shirt from last season's finale.

• Love 2

So unfair.  No love for Mads?  None?   Oh well, I guess we should just be happy that there is a season 3 at least and at least the people on this site know how fantistic the show is and we can be smug about it ;^).  What I suspect will happen is that people will find it in a year and start raving and then it will be too late.

That said, if the producers really are doing American Gods, I think I'd like them to focus on that show exclusively and kill it.  Neil Gaimen deserves a proper talent to translate his work to the screen.

• Love 1

As did TVGuide:

1. Hannibal (NBC)

There is no show that sits with you quite like Hannibal. Lush and terrifying, Bryan Fuller's intoxicating rendering of Thomas Harris' classic franchise is a cinematic feast for the senses, from the oddly beautiful murder tableaux to Hannibal's mouth-watering dinner spreads to the moody score. But more stunningly, the show is a brilliant psychological tango between Hugh Dancy's Will and Mads Mikkelsen's Hannibal — made even better by Season 2's cat-and-mouse role reversal — that's rewriting the serial killer genre as we speak. It's a show that's not just rare on network TV, but all of TV.

• Love 2

While I think there will be interesting storylines for the character of Mason Verger, I do wonder if from many actors' perspectives, the most fun acting as Mason was this past season (and I do think Pitt had some delicious/ sadistic fun as Mason), and now that he's going to be behind prosthetics and in a wheelchair, Pitt just felt ready to move on.

Edited by lulee
  • Love 1

coppersin Oh, I know!  I regularly post Hannibal stuff on my FB page and someone sent me this message:

After seeing a couple of your posts about this show I decided to watch. We'll let me just say 5 days and 2 seasons later I would say I'm hooked! Love this show.
  • Love 6

More recognition from TVGuide, which counted down its Top 25 episodes of 2014:

1. "Mizumono," Hannibal
Hannibal's Season 2 finale works on numerous levels. It wraps up a complex season by delivering on its season premiere promise (Jack vs. Hannibal FTW!) and also throws in some surprises (Abigail's alive!). And even though Will and Hannibal's twisted game of cat-and-mouse climaxes in a show-stopping bloodbath, it's the emotional cuts that went deepest. Thanks to superb performances from Mads Mikkelsen and Hugh Dancy, it's impossible not to feel Hannibal's heartbreak as he guts the protégé who betrayed him and leaves him behind to die. The story is so masterfully told to a seemingly logical conclusion (is everybody dead?) that we, too, feel gutted — right up until that sneaky post-credits sequence showing Hannibal on a plane to Europe (with Dr. Du Maurier, no less!) filled us with uncontrollable excitement for whatever comes next.

• Love 3

I saw something about Hannibal receiving 100% at Rotten Tomatoes. I couldn't save the link, because I wasn't on my computer at the time.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/guides/golden-tomato-awards-2014/genre/tv/tv_returning/

Hannibal tops the 16th Golden Tomatoes Awards in both Returning Shows (sharing 100% fresh ratings with the Good Wife and Veep) and SciFi/Fantasy/horror categories.

Heh, not that I don't love this show but I can't help but think they are topping more lists this year due to Breaking Bad's exit. Anyways, these lists are the only way they can garner any sort of accolodes so it'll do.

• Love 3