Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E01: Week 1: Premiere

• Start Topic

I don't think Lochte deserved the disruption and certainly Cheryl and Tom didn't deserve it. Laurie was the only real standout although no one did really awful. So Amber doesn't like sparkly dance costumes? Then don't go on the show. You don't have to prove you are tough by mentioning combat boots. I really hate people who go on shows and then act like they are too good to be there. Terra Jolie is an attention hog on Little Women LA and is one on here too. And I have no idea how they would have her do any dances in hold without him bending down.

I never heard of Jake T Austin before but agree he seems creepy.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I don't think Lochte deserved the disruption and certainly Cheryl and Tom didn't deserve it. Laurie was the only real standout although no one did really awful. So Amber doesn't like sparkly dance costumes? Then don't go on the show. You don't have to prove you are tough by mentioning combat boots. I really hate people who go on shows and then act like they are too good to be there. Terra Jolie is an attention hog on Little Women LA and is one on here too. And I have no idea how they would have her do any dances in hold without him bending down.

I never heard of Jake T Austin before but agree he seems creepy.

Hmmmm, I don't know if I'd go as far to say that she's acting like she's too good for the show, she has seemed to be nothing but gracious. Saying something isn't personally her style isn't acting like she's too good. Plus... she answered the question that Erin asked her lol. 

• Love 3

As to the Lochte situation, I am an avid Olympics watcher. As I recall, it wasn't the swimmers involved in the incident that went to the media. The media heard about something and contacted them. They stupidly tried to save face and really should have apologized for their terrible behavior. Now, after seeing the video at the gas station, I can understand how someone as drunk as they were would think they were being robbed, instead of it being security. Doesn't excuse their behavior and stories after the fact. They were in a different country, competing in the Olympics, and the behavior was reprehensible. However, rushing the stage, really? Brazil's issues are their own fault, not the fault of some American Athletes.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, PTVjones said:

Quick question: is there no more FaceBook voting? I don't see it as an option on the DWTS page. 

I couldn't access the "app" through FB anymore.  ABC has a login with FB option now on their vote page, so I assume that replaced it?

Just now, PTVjones said:

Hmmmm, I don't know if I'd go as far to say that she's acting like she's too good for the show, she has seemed to be nothing but gracious. Saying something isn't personally her style isn't acting like she's too good. Plus... she answered the question that Erin asked her lol. 

She was also talking about it in the rehearsal package. I just don't think its worth mentioning on night one-if you go on a dance show, you wear dance clothes.

• Love 1

After that there is nothing that is gonna freak this girl out. Except maybe the Rhumba.

Eh, it's likely she won't even do one. Willow and Zendaya didn't, and Bindi's was the Dirty Dancing dance. Shawn did one her first season with Mark, but that was before they started giving out preferentials for dances. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, McManda said:

Eh, it's likely she won't even do one. Willow and Zendaya didn't, and Bindi's was the Dirty Dancing dance. Shawn did one her first season with Mark, but that was before they started giving out preferentials for dances. 

That would be my preference actually. I didn't know they could get away without doing it. I haven't watched in a few years. Hope they get to skip it!

Edited by SanLynn

People on Twitter are funny.  They're saying Ryan was interviewed after the show, saying the protesters robbed him at gun point.  And on and on...

4 minutes ago, tiredofwork said:

True, but what he did was use prejudice to disparage a race/culture in a false narrative.., I believe that is dangerous.  Much like Susan Smith blaming a "Black guy" for killing her kids.., so, I hate the trope that a 27 yr old is a "boy needs to grow up" thing.

I agree.  That's why I'm convinced the protesters were from Brazil.  What he did was B A D to Rio and Brazil.  Really bad.  I don't think he deserves to get tarred and feathered, or even attacked on live tv, but I hate how he came on the show as a PR move to rehab his image.  It's completely self-serving.  If he wants to show people he's not a disrespectful idiot, then why not do something philanthropic, or something that gives back or shows respect and care towards others.  But no - book him on DWTS so he can have a "fresh start."  Boo.

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, MsJamieDornan said:

He signed up to do the before the Olympics.

Even if that is true, and I have heard both versions, it still doesn't change the timing of the incident to the show.  I was only arguing that the reaction is due to the proximity of the incident. You can also bet that even if Ryan signed a contract pre-incident that DWTS had the right to break that contract if they chose to do so.  They didn't.  They thought the scandal would equal good ratings for the show.

I don't doubt that people like Jake and Ice might have scandals in their past, but I'd also argue that they aren't scandals that the wider public knows about.  Do most people that watch the show know who Jake is, let alone know he was involved in a hit and run while drunk?  Probably not.

• Love 1

As others have said, Lochte was booked before the Olympics.  I would guess he couldn't have gotten out of his contract, if he wanted to.  I am sure the show could have dumped him easily, had they not wanted the controversy.  (Yeah, like that would happen.). And as far as doing other philanthropic things, maybe he has/does, but the media doesn't care because there is no story there.

• Love 9
14 minutes ago, bantering said:

Regardless of where I fall on the debate about Ryan Lochte, I think I'd be embarrassed to known as the Ryan Lochte protester.

Unless they're Brazillians.  I bet the protesters will be hailed as heroes in Rio.  

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

Julianne completely missed Amber's statement that she's not a princess.  She didn't want to be reassured, "you are that girl".  It's not every woman's fantasy to be a fairy princess waiting to be saved by Prince Charming. 

Seriously. It went so over her head it's not even funny. In addition to this I really dislike her as a judge. There was no need to bring her back.

Yeah, this is pretty much Laurie's to lose unless she has some major disaster. Her dance was 9 worthy, but I understand it's too early for that. Julianne's 7 was bullshit. She bugs.

• Love 17
4 minutes ago, spanana said:

Even if that is true, and I have heard both versions

He said it on The Ellen Show today and Cheryl agreed with him.

I doubt he wants to be caught in more lies, so I believe him.

Edited by MsJamieDornan
  • Love 2

Can Val and Laurie have their own show, please!!!!!!

Noticed both Len and Julianne critiqued Allison's choreography as "hectic".  

I thought Marilu would be better but what was with that tiny stage for their jive and why all those people standing around , could the judges even see the dance?  ( from their scores, I think not.....)

• Love 2

Why did Julianne feel the need to still provide commentary as she held up her paddle when it was her turn to be skipped for comments? It was super annoying. I was not a fan of her as a judge at first but eventually warmed up to her and sort of wish they would just get rid of Carrie Ann and keep her because there is not enough time for 4 judges but I found her super annoying tonight. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, McManda said:

I hope they won't give it to her. It would open to huge of a can of worms. 

• Love 1

So I was only half watching part of the time but I did not see Mark Ballas? Was that his choice to be absent this season or a show decision? I was surprised not to see him. .... and to see Maks back, guy just can't stay away can he?

Forgot to mention how much I love the Laurie/Val partnership. Val's choreography I really think is going to play up Laurie's strengths. She looks to have natural rhythm and talent and coupled with her gymnastics background, I see her running away with this thing.

It's also incredibly surreal to know she was born the same year as my baby cousin who's no longer a baby.

Edited by SophiaPehawkins
  • Love 4
Just now, SanLynn said:

So I was only half watching part of the time but I did not see Mark Ballas? Was that his choice to be absent this season or a show decision? I was surprised not to see him. .... and to see Maks back, guy just can't stay away can he?

Mark is going to be playing Frankie Valli for the end of the Jersey Boys run on Broadway, so he's taking this season off. 

• Love 2

Like others have said, Laurie has probably got this locked down. And for whatever reason, it doesn't bother me. Probably because at this point I don't really have any horse in this race. So far, unlike with someone like Bindi, Laurie's bubbliness hasn't grated (then again for me Bindi's bubbliness didn't start to grate until the midway point.) Plus, I don't really consider a gymnast a ringer. I don't think the kind of dance training they have is necessarily the same as ballroom training. Even though Shawn Johnson won (unfairly IMO) I never thought she was an out of this world dancer. And even though Aly Raisman made it to the finals a lot of people found her dancing underwhelming.

I think my favorite dance of the night was that race car driver James. Probably because it was such a surprise. I'm going to hold off on judging what this means for the rest of the competition, though, because a lot of people can do dances like foxtrot really well, and then choke on the rest, especially Latin.

It's probably a little unfair, but I have a feeling Marilu is going to be this season's Ginger. I wasn't that impressed with her dancing and was really put off by the judges' tongue bath of her. I think they may push her into the finals like they did with Ginger.

Maureen needs to cool it with the tears already. I get that she really wanted to do this show for a long time, but it just seemed really sad and desperate.

Babyface was really enjoyable to watch. Allison has her issues, and I would have rather have seen Karina or Edyta or someone else back, but I thought the dance was fun.

I've seen a lot of comments about Jake T. Austin being a jerk and over a few season seen a lot of disparaging remarks about Jenna that I brushed off, but unfortunately their package tonight kind of had to make me agree with what I've heard about them already. I didn't think he was creepy necessarily, but just very fake. And she...gah...she was too much of everything. Overly flirty and clearly desperate to stay in the competition. It just occurred to me, but they kind of reminded me of James Franco and Anne Hathway when they hosted the Oscars. He was so low energy and she just ramped everything up to eleven million to make up for it.

Also in the desperate category was Jana and Gleb. Wow, I know she just separated from her husband, but in the rehearsal package, it looked like she was trying to mount him. That was bad enough, but to find out from this board that he's married (and already cheated on his wife)...wow. He needs to cool that fake showmance stuff down now.

Amber Rose looked really stiff and nervous. Hopefully, she loosens up. But, wow, I know this show has had Kim Kardashian on, but I don't think I've ever seen someone on this show with an ass like that. Maks really has his work cut out for him dealing with that and with her being pretty stacked up top as well.

I wanted to hate Rick Perry, but I didn't think he was as terrible as some people in the past have been.

For Vanilla Ice, I get the contradictory scores. There was very little cha cha in that dance, but I thought it was fun as hell. Unfortunately, he probably played the "Ice, Ice Baby" card too soon.

As much crap as I gave Lochte in the Olympics thread for his stunt this summer, I never expected something like what happened tonight. I didn't realize people were that angry. I thought it was more like a little disgust, but more annoyance at what a moron he is. I think this show has had way worse people, including this season with Rick Perry. Protesting him feels like a huge waste. I feel sorry for the show and Cheryl, and slightly for him (though definitely not enough to throw him any pity votes.) I can't believe they were even allowed to get on the stage. I know this is only a dance program, but I would think security should have been a little more tight. What if they had a weapon. *shudders* Thank God no one got hurt.

While I truly, truly don't condone what those idiots did (Good luck in prison "I'm in jail because I bum-rushed a douchebag swimmer dancing in sequins") it's probably a reason why Lochte should not have been on this season. What happened with him is just too raw and recent for the public to really have any distance from it. I know the word is that he was already in talks for this season before it happened, but they should have held off and waited to put him on the spring season. But I think ABC wanted to ride Lochte's notoriety wave for ratings this season. Hope it ends up being worth it.

Edited by FilmTVGeek80
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, spanana said:

Even if that is true, and I have heard both versions, it still doesn't change the timing of the incident to the show.  I was only arguing that the reaction is due to the proximity of the incident. You can also bet 

I don't doubt that people like Jake and Ice might have scandals in their past, but I'd also argue that they aren't scandals that the wider public knows about.  Do most people that watch the show know who Jake is, let alone know he was involved in a hit and run while drunk?  Probably not.

I don't really consider domestic abuse a scandal more of a crime. What Lochte did was terrible but he doesn't deserve to be rushed and have things thrown at him . If I was on the show I would be demanding to know what the producers intended to do about security .

• Love 4

Thank you both!

By the way did I read this right? Derek was the one calling for security during the Lochte thing? I'm not a fan of his partnerships in general but I love him as an individual both on and off the dance floor and this just proves why.

Edited by SanLynn
  • Love 3

While it was unfortunate a group of protesters crashed the premier, DWTS must be giddy of all the free publicity and that the show will be on all the morning talk and entertainment shows tomorrow.

Maks needs to work, got a baby on the way and his fiance is out of work.

Nice to see Robert and Kym up in the commentators booth.

Edited by humbleopinion
nitpicking my own grammar
  • Love 3

Ah, this show. I love this show. I love the way they try to sell me a storyline and I don't bite. 

The whole Ryan Lochte thing makes me laugh. Maybe it's because I'm not American (or Brazilian) and therefore couldn't care less about what he does or doesn't do, maybe it's because I'm a TMZ addict that has no shame and likes to be entertained, maybe it was Carrie Ann's face when those people bum rushed the floor, but I laughed. I know, I'm a horrible person. It's fine. But I laughed throughout his entire package and dance and aftermath. 

Big Brother is officially at the point where it sucks balls every season. Looks like I found my new "must watch" replacement. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, LotusFlower said:

And of course Ryan's word is credible....

Val met Laurie before the Olympics.  There were more deserving athletes that should have gotten a shot after the Olympics.  That's leads me to believe the producers locked down the two best known names they could before the games started.  (I use best known loosely since they would have signed anyone from the Final 5 knowing they wanted a gymnast).

• Love 4

Laurie's got this. I don't mind because it would only be Val's second win and she's a perfect combo of personality and technique with there still being room to grow.

I think Jana and James are likely going far too. Both of their dances were surprisingly memorable and showed lots of potential.

Marilu could be Derek's earliest exit. Keep in mind Derek's worst finish has been 6th place.

Could Jake be a surprise first exit? I can imagine Rick and Maureen have more voters than him combined with his low score and new pro.

That's what pisses me off more than anything about his casting Saytura. Team USA had hundreds of deserving athletes from sports that very rarely get any time in the sun (or public eye).

I would've loved someone from fencing, triathlon, equestrian, or one of the field events to get that call from DWTS. Could they all have said yes to DWTS? No. But you can't tell me at least one other male Olympian from Team USA wouldn't have loved to take Lochte's spot had the casting people had enough brains to move on from him after his moronic behavior and attempted cover up in Rio.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, spanana said:

Do most people that watch the show know who Jake is, let alone know he was involved in a hit and run while drunk?  Probably not.

Regardless of if they know who he is or not, that's a double standard that I'm not okay with. If we're judging Ryan on the skeletons on his (not so private) closet, then we should do the same for everyone. Jake gets a pass just because no one knows about his?

• Love 16
Just now, McManda said:

Regardless of if they know who he is or not, that's a double standard that I'm not okay with. If we're judging Ryan on the skeletons on his (not so private) closet, then we should do the same for everyone. Jake gets a pass just because no one knows about his?

I somehow doubt Jake will on long enough for it to matter.

• Love 1

I had no idea who Hinchcliffe was until he appeared on Celebrity Family Feud earlier this summer...but the man is adorable and charming as hell. I'm glad to see he's a surprisingly good dancer and will likely be around for a while.

Yes, I'm shallow.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Padma said:

How do you all get DWTS and we have only Monday Night Football?

Because (if you are state-side) you were watching ESPN?  Monday Night Football left ABC years ago.

Check out your on-demand or abc.com... tomorrow, because it won't be up before the left coast broadcast.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

That's what pisses me off more than anything about his casting Saytura. Team USA had hundreds of deserving athletes from sports that very rarely get any time in the sun (or public eye).

I would've loved someone from fencing, triathlon, equestrian, or one of the field events to get that call from DWTS. Could they all have said yes to DWTS? No. But you can't tell me at least one other male Olympian from any other sport wouldn't have been dying to take Lochte's spot had the casting people decided to move on from him after his moronic behavior and attempted cover up in Rio.

well if they DID approach and land him before Rio i can KINDA see why.

Similarly to how they got Laurie. They wanted Simone, but she is too big right now, and has way too many commitments, so they went for the 2nd choice (if Aly hadn't participated before she would be the next I think).

Swimming and women's gymnastics are two most popular Olympic events in America. They probably couldn't land Phelps, again, because he is too big. And I'm not the biggest follower of swimming, but i thought Ryan said (or was it Tom announcing him) that he was 2nd most decorated swimmer in the, was it US or world?

They could have gone for a female swimmer, but I can see them wanting different sexes of Olympians...

Lochte makes total sense... unfortunately lol

Edited by vavera4ka
  • Love 2

I felt bad for Cheryl and Ryan Lochte, audience members should not be able to rush the stage like that.  Ryan let stupid lies and omissions snowball into an international incident.  No excuses for his behavior in Brazil, but he should feel safe while competing.  While I wasn't that impressed with his dancing, his intro showed that he is willing to learn.  

Laurie has this and I couldn't be more thrilled. She is a mood lifter.  I laughed when she was so impressed with Val getting her floor exercise choreography down and he said he had danced before. Her dance was fun and good to see someone have fun.

Already loving Calvin Johnson. He has great enthusiasm and an even greater smile.  Lindsay looked thrilled to have him as a partner.  I'm excited to see what Lindsay comes with for him.

Terra is amazing - six weeks postpartum! She kept up well with Sasha and is pretty light on her feet.  

Amber Rose looked beautiful. I thought her outfit color complimented her really well.  She did seem unsure. Hopefully, she'll feel more steady next week and they show more of her personality. 

Other superficial opinions: Sharna looked great, her dress was gorgeous.  Maureen McCormick looks fantastic - really hope she enjoys this experience.  

I miss Mark. There was a little bit of a hole for me not having him there. 

@Padma - They showed DWTS at 5pm in my area - I had to manually add it to my DVR.  Now they're showing Monday Night Football.

Forgot to mention Jana, I like her, she seems nice and it frustrates me because I probably won't be able to get behind her because I dislike her pro. A close friend of mine was cheated on in her marriage and I've seen first hand the carnage it can course especially with a child in the middle. He doesn't deserve to be on this show with morals like that.

2 minutes ago, kassygreene said:

Because (if you are state-side) you were watching ESPN?  Monday Night Football left ABC years ago.

Local affiliates still preempt programming for local teams. Chances are if you're at all in the Pittsburgh area you got a football game. 

• Love 2

I don't doubt that Lochte was a target from even before the Olympics, vavera4ka.

He was the rare Olympian to have already appeared on his own reality tv show. A reality show that reveled in showing off just how much of a moronic douche-bro he really is (I still hate myself for the 3 or 4 episodes I watched if you can't tell).

But they've cast American's from lesser known Olympic sports before (Louie Vito from snowboarding, and Misty May Treanor from Beach Volleyball come to mind) that didn't turn out too badly. They already had Derek, Cheryl, and Maks in their back pocket coming back this season. You grabbed a Trump surrogate for possible political drama/controversy. You grabbed Vanilla Ice at the last minute. Did you have to stick with Lochte? No, IMO....you could've taken an Olympian with more positive press and the season still would've had plenty of "juice" going into tonight.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, kassygreene said:

Check out your on-demand or abc.com... tomorrow, because it won't be up before the left coast broadcast.

If a regular season NFL game is being shown by a cable network, it often ends up simulcast by a local hometown affiliate. The local station typically ends up showing DWTS (or whichever preempted programming it happens to be) at an alternate time or on a sister station.

Vanilla Ice should have saved "Ice Ice Baby" for at least week 2, maybe he could have danced to his other hit(s?) first.

Did Jana say anything about Gleb besides how hot he was? They do make a very striking couple on the dance floor. Gleb is married IIRC, so showmancing it up would be a bad look, to say nothing of Jana...

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 1

Ok, I used to live places like that too.  I feel your pain.

There is a chance your affiliate will do a delayed broadcast, either in the middle of the night or on the weekend.  When I lived in Colorado both of my ABC affiliates delayed MacGyver to the following weekend, one around 2 am Sunday morning, and the other at random times Saturday or Sunday afternoon.  I missed seven years of Richard Dean Anderson and MacGyver geekiness.  Still bitter.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, vavera4ka said:

Swimming and women's gymnastics are two most popular Olympic events in America. They probably couldn't land Phelps, again, because he is too big. And I'm not the biggest follower of swimming, but i thought Ryan said (or was it Tom announcing him) that he was 2nd most decorated swimmer in the, was it US or world?

They could have gone for a female swimmer, but I can see them wanting different sexes of Olympians...

The high profile women's side of the pool is a bunch of people keeping their NCAA eligbility (Katie Ledecky, Lilly King, etc.) trying to sort out injury problems (Missy Franklin) or has other plans for the future (Dana Vollmer sounds like she wants another kid once the zika tests come back negative, Maya DiRado is headed to an office job) 

When they signed Ryan, they thought they were getting a guy who, while not that bright, had the reputation for being a pleasant goofball who was willing to try almost anything whether it was a good idea or not. He's got far more personality than Phelps does and almost as good of a CV once you add World Championships results to Olympic ones. 

Whether he still made sense as a contestant after Rio was the producer's call. 

• Love 1