Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E01: Week 1: Premiere

• Start Topic

Welcome to DWTS, where everything is made up and the scores don't matter.

No one really stood out to me, at least celeb wise. That's not promising. Glad to see Cheryl and Masks and even Derek back, but Artem is sill my favorite currently. I can take or leave Gleb, especially because apparently his role with Jana is apparently that of sexpot. Eh. 

Marilu seems like a head case already. That's also unfortunate. I'll take Maureen over her, but probably only because of Artem. 

Someone rushed the dance floor while Ryan was getting his scores? Plus the boos? Come on, it's an entertainment dance show. Not worth the hate or the effort for the guy. He made a lot of mistakes and dumb decisions, but he's hardly the worst person they've ever had on the show. That's an unbelievable reaction and it's likely someone is getting arrested and security is being beefed up. Hopefully whoever it was thinks the assault charges were worth it. 

• Love 18

Does anyone know what the hell happened with Ryan Lochte and the incident? Did someone from the audience rush the stage and try to hurt him? He's an idiot, but come on, that's ridiculous. And it seriously messed with the mood on the stage, so I felt sorry for Laurie Hernandez to go after that. But she still killed it.

• Love 7

Well, Laurie is taking this.  She is adorable and fun to watch.  As a woman of the same age, I really liked Marilu as well but I think she goes out somewhere in the middle.  She appears to be in great shape.  Poor Rick Perry has the same reason for being on the show as Jerry Springer--dancing at his daughter's wedding--but he won't last nearly as long.

• Love 3

Kate Coyne ‏@KatePeople

Genius who rushed towards Lochte was wearing a shirt that said "No Lochte" and seemed super scary. I mean: what is WRONG with people? #DWTS

Kate Coyne ‏@KatePeople

From what I'm hearing, someone rushed stage and threw something in direction of Lochte. They nabbed him but others followed. Yikes. #DWTS

There's also a picture on another account of someone getting arrested/pinned on the dance floor but I can't figure out how to embed that.

Edited by Saytura

Not surprised that Laurie was so good.  But I was very pleasantly surprised by James Hinchcliffe.  I think he has real potential.

If someone rushed the stage while Ryan was awaiting his scores...I agree, I hope he thinks the assault charge will be worth such a stupid move.  It's a freaking entertainment event....and as someone said upthread, he's hardly the worst person they've had on this show.  Not even close.

• Love 13
9 minutes ago, McManda said:

Welcome to DWTS, where everything is made up and the scores don't matter.

No one really stood out to me, at least celeb wise. That's not promising. Glad to see Cheryl and Masks and even Derek back, but Artem is sill my favorite currently. I can take or leave Gleb, especially because apparently his role with Jana is apparently that of sexpot. Eh. 

Marilu seems like a head case already. That's also unfortunate. I'll take Maureen over her, but probably only because of Artem. 

Someone rushed the dance floor while Ryan was getting his scores? Plus the boos? Come on, it's an entertainment dance show. Not worth the hate or the effort for the guy. He made a lot of mistakes and dumb decisions, but he's hardly the worst person they've ever had on the show. That's an unbelievable reaction and it's likely someone is getting arrested and security is being beefed up. Hopefully whoever it was thinks the assault charges were worth it. 

There are worse people on this season. I mean, Rick Perry is there.

I love me some Vanilla Ice, but this is Laurie Hernandez's season to lose.

• Love 15

I feel bad for Babyface. Allison's quality of movement is just so unappealing. She's not a ballroom dancer, and she won't ever be up to the level of the other pros. Her partners are always going to be at a disadvantage, and frankly it's not fair.

Laurie is just a delight. She has a bit of the gymnastic  arms  thing going on that Shawn and Aly had, but she has so much more natural rhythm and enthusiasm. She's going to have a target on her back the entire season but I have high hopes for her partnership with Val. Her energy and enthusiasm seems genuine, and not played for the cameras like some other teenage contestants. I think Val needs to be careful of making his own movements less "big" to compensate for the height difference between them.

Marilu unfortunately reminds me of Jennifer, Derek's partner from several seasons ago. Just the giggly nature and the over the top worship of Derek makes for an uncomfortable partnership to watch, even if they get along well. Derek himself seems to be kind of reverting to his over the top 2007 self as well.

There's not much to say about Ryan's dancing, but I was surprised to see how much I've missed Cheryl as a dancer.

Jenna needs to hide her thirst better. Jake makes me uncomfortable.

I see Julianne is trying to position herself as the completely impartial "tough" judge this season.

• Love 7

Hi Everyone! And so we begin another season.

Marilu:  Couldn't see her feet/legs with the audience crowded up against the stage - what was Derek hiding? Week 1 there's alot of forgivenness - there was no need to hide her.  Intro package a little over-the-top.  Nice smile, lots of energy.  What's with the grand welcoming back? He only took 1 season off.  7s were ok I guess.  Julianne demonstrating her non-favoritism?

James:  Very nice, smooth, looked confident and comfortable. Agree with the scores but I don't know about 8s in week 1.

Calvin:  Definitely a showman.  A tendency toward slight hunching or rolled shoulders but Lindsey can probably fix that.  A large segment of Lindsey over-dancing while Calvin stood still.  Scores a little generous.

Maureen:  She just looked beautiful out there.  She looked nervous and a bit hesitant.  I think there was a little hiccup, more of a stumble (I don't think she forgot).  Scores a little harsh. All 6s would have been more fair.

Babyface:  Well, Allison is back. He's in a dark suit with dark lighting. She's spinning furiously.  Was she presenting Babyface or Allison?   What a huge difference compared to James' foxtrot.  Scores a little high, I would have gone with all 6s.

Amber:  Hmmm. Maks got a little artistic while he was away.  She got all the moves, but it just didn't seem very graceful. Scores were fair.

Vanilla Ice:  He's never watched the show? Seriously? Well, Witney danced alot. Vanilla did his thing. I think I saw a tiny bit of cha cha.  When I saw the troupe jump in, it was clear Witney knew she was in trouble.  (Also I detest those drop-crotch pants.)  Scores?  What were the 7s for? I expected to see all 5s.

Jana: Wow! That was completely unexpected. My impression of Gleb from his previous season was that he was a bit of a bore, and I've never heard of her. Dance of the night so far. I hope they have enough voters to stay for a while.  6s? Bruno got it right. Deserved 8s.

Jake:  He seemed a little off time but otherwise clean and sharp.  I didn't know what to expect from him. The little I've seen on Jenna's snapchat was that he seemed a bit full of himself but he seemed to contain that. We'll see how he does in future weeks.  Scores seemed harsh. I'd have given him a mix of 6s and 7s.

Rick:  So happy Emma is back.  For some reason, he reminds me of Geraldo - he's game for all this but such an awkward, stiff mover.  He seemed to be having fun and gave it a good effort.  Scores were fair.   

How awkward do the judges feel when they are giving a low score and the couple is standing right in front of them instead up in the celebraquarium.

Terra:  She missed alot of steps but she gave it a good effort.   What happened to Bruno's comments-did I miss them or did they skip him? CAI + Julianne sounded a little condescending.   Scores were fair.

Ryan:  Where'd they get that car???  A little awkward but not bad for a non-dancer's first dance.  I hope people will give him a chance - I think he's trying.  What happened? Did someone rush the stage?  Scores are fair but I wouldn't have minded one 7.

Laurie:  Great job but the streamers were a bit much.   I expected she'd be great in latin but I wonder how she'll calm down for ballroom.  Agree with the scores though I don't know why Julianne went for a 7 instead of 8.

• Love 2

There's a picture on Twitter - apparently it was two guys

I can't handle how adorable and talented Laurie is. I don't know how she's doing that and the Kellogg's gymnastics tour and being a 16 year old who probably has to go to school at some point, but get it, girl. I bet this will end up being a good move for her in the long run. 

• Love 3

They might as well give Laurie the mirror ball now and call it a day.  I can't believe that while someone was trying to attack Lochte, Carrie Ann kept saying "excuse me, excuse me."  Is she for real?

I miss Tony.

Edited by Adeejay
  • Love 11

I cannot understand how the guy got through security and onto the dancefloor of a live broadcast...Erin Andrews looked horrified at the end as she came to be next to Tom...

I cannot stand Ryan Lochte..don't want him on the show but crap like that doesn't belong on this show...

I liked a lot of people tonight....I love Marilu..but the last girl was great..the country singer can go....that raunchy Waltz did nothing for me but made me say "Hey Amber Rose has more clothes"....I liked Vanilla Ice..but expect him not to last...and I am surprised I liked his dance..

Rick Perry won't last but at least he gave it a shot...My mom thought it was embarrassing...I thought he did better than Tucker Carlson..but he also made me long for Bill Engvall...

It's good to have my show back...and there's more good than bad...but if I were a celeb on this show, I'd be meeting with the producers and the network honchos tomorrow about security...

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Kareny said:

There's a picture on Twitter - apparently it was two guys

I can't handle how adorable and talented Laurie is. I don't know how she's doing that and the Kellogg's gymnastics tour and being a 16 year old who probably has to go to school at some point, but get it, girl. I bet this will end up being a good move for her in the long run. 

While Laurie basically has the season on lock, she hasn't really started the others things yet.  She started rehearsing for the Kellogg's tour this past week but the tour itself hasn't started yet.  The tour starts this week and she has her first shows Thursday, Friday and Sunday (if she's doing them all). I also read an article with her today where she said she hasn't started school yet either, so really for the first week she was basically focused on DWTS.  She is far and away above everyone else, but it should get a little harder for her from here when you started adding in the traveling, gymnastic shows and eventually school.  Long as she keeps herself healthy she has the trophy on lock though.

Anyway, most people weren't horrible and several have potential to improve but there is nobody I was really excited about. I'll take Wanya and Paige back from last season.  Amber was stiffer and more nervous than expected.  Jake is Jake but Jenna needs to calm it down with the giggly flirty shit.  They also better not go the showmance route with Jana/Gleb considering he's married and his wife already took him back after cheating.

Ugh Ryan.  I hate that the show wants me to feel bad for him.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 3

Hmmm.....with the exception of Laurie (and maybe James), and Vanilla Ice and Rick Perry it feels like a jumble of dancers with similar skill/ability levels.

My cynical side says the Lochte disruption was a probably a plant to try and drum up even more sympathy for a guy who doesn't deserve an ounce of it. I ignored his dance, and will continue to as long as he's in the competition.

James was impressive (I was not expecting that given what little behind the scenes footage was available from their rehearsals). Jana can seriously do the passionate dances and that's going to be the inappropriate showmance of the season. Nice to see Bruno going full-on inappropriate in his commentary right off the bat...

Calvin has monster feet and it looks like he can cover the entire dance floor in about 4 steps. I'm not sure that bodes well for all dances (particularly ones that require a lot in hold). Lindsay is going to need to get creative for sure. I don't know what Sasha is going to continually do with Terra. Being in hold will always look weird, and he can't do a lot of side by side synchro choreography....because that just looks painfully off too.

Jake and Jenna are going to grate. I almost wish we can get rid off them first (let DWTS slurp on Lochte and Perry for a couple weeks if they must). Babyface and Allison are probably not long for this competition either. Marilu's not going anywhere, but she was way more unsteady than the judging panel would lead you to believe..

Maureen and Artem didn't make much of an impression, and Vanilla Ice and Witney just coasted on choreography that he remembered from the music video. The cha cha content was almost non-existent. I hope he sticks around for a while though, because they'll bring some much needed personality and light-heartedness to the proceedings.

• Love 3

Why is Vanilla Ice touring while also doing this show? Have people done other work while also doing this show at the same time? This show appears to require a lot of work and effort.

Erin Andrews looked serious as well when coming up behind Tom Bergeron after Laurie Hernandez's dance (she was good, of course). She looked freaked out somewhat too by whatever had happened after Lochte's dance.

Edited by bantering

have no idea what is going on with my posts.  Laurie is just too cute for words.  I hope she doesn't get burned out. Her personality is real, and she is so much fun.  I don't hate Lochte, I think he was stupid in Rio, and he's always been cocky.  I saw him on Ellen today, he's trying. Cheryl seems to like him as a person, so he must not be a jerk.  I don't think it was staged, everyone was too freaked out.

Maureens' tears are already wearing thin, and the Disney guy comes across as a total d---.  Vanilla Ice has been a non-jerk for a while now, being nice, self-depracating and funny.  I didn't hate him.  LIke the race car driver, but hate Sharna's hair.  Hate the way Allison choreographs and dances - to all over the place. It was good for the blonde kid she had, but not many others.  The football players persnality seems good so far, and the little person danced good for any sized person.

Edited by Ripley68
  • Love 3

I absolutely can't stand Ryan Lochte, but I almost felt bad for him. I mean seriously, people...it's not like he's OJ Simpson or something.

I just love Laurie Hernandez, so if she takes it all, that's fine by me.

And Vanilla Ice was fun!

• Love 10

The Ryan incident made me forget a lot of my thoughts. I thought he was ok, he was trying and he and Cheryl and Tom did not deserve that. This is a silly dance show, it doesn't deserve that. 

That had to be extra hard for Laurie to come out and dance after, but she was just as cute as a button! I think the trophy is probably hers to lose. I loved watching her in the Olympics and I am going to enjoy watching her now.

Amber Rose is really a beautiful woman, I did expect a little more from someone with the confidence she usually has in herself, but will chalk it up to opening night nerves. 

Jana, I was a bit taken aback by that Viennese Waltz, but she is a gorgeous woman, I hope she gets more chances. Marilu is really beautiful, I wish I had her legs, but they would look odd on my short frame. I hope Maureen can settle down her nerves.

I don't have all the names down yet, but the football player in the blue has potential, I liked his dance.

I'm glad the show is back and look forward to watching and getting to know all of the dancers, right now they're still a bit a blur.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, bantering said:

Why is Vanilla Ice touring while also doing this show? Have people done other work while also doing this show at the same time? This show appears to require a lot of work and effort.

It happens more often than you think.  This season, Vanilla Ice, Laurie and Jana are all touring.  Others have done it.  Wanya did a lot of tour shows last season.  The ice skaters have toured at the same time. I think when people start they don't realize how time consuming and exhausting this show is and they insist they can do it all.  Some succeed at doing it all (see Meryl) and others eventually realize they can't.

As for the rest of the night:

Laurie's got this in the bag.  It's not even close.

I thought Marilu was good, but she seemed tentative and kind of bossy.  I can't tell whether to chalk that up first to go and Tom's tongue-wagging about her wanting to do the show so badly though.

Maureen was craaaazy.  At one point, I thought her hands were going to tear into Artem's biceps because she was clawing and clutching that hard.  She has a decent fanbase, so I think she'll survive the first elimination.  Bottom three though for sure.

Jake T. Austin has no soul.  And he's creepy with Jenna.  She's a new pro, even though she's got the "fam" connections.  He could be the first out.

Rick Perry was cute in that "look at Grandpa" kind of way.  Coupled with a pretty much no politics package (didn't mention the vets at all that he's dancing for) and second hour dance makes me think he could squeak through next week.

James the racecar driver was a surprise.  But I think he's going to bomb Latin dances.

Terra didn't really dance.  She came out strong with the first few kicks and then if you watched her feet, it was all upper body from then on.  She'll make it past all the losers because disability, but I really wonder how they are going to critique her.

The rest.  Who?

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, spanana said:

It happens more often than you think.  This season, Vanilla Ice, Laurie and Jana are all touring.  Others have done it.  Wanya did a lot of tour shows last season.  The ice skaters have toured at the same time. I think when people start they don't realize how time consuming and exhausting this show is and they insist they can do it all.  Some succeed at doing it all (see Meryl) and others eventually realize they can't.

I can understand Meryl Davis doing it because she has the physical conditioning from years of gruelling training.  Ditto for Laurie Hernandez. Not so sure about Vanilla Ice...

Edited by bantering
  • Love 1

EW has a few more details about the men protesting Lochte. Apparently it was four women and two men, all wearing the same shirt. The men rushed the stage, security scuffled with them, one fell into Ryan and Cheryl. Oh, and Derek came in to help remove the women (all the big strong men and only Derek gets a mention? if it weren't so serious I'd laugh).

Side note, didn't cocktail attire used to be required for the audience? How do homemade anti-Lochte t-shirts make the cut?

Edited by McManda
  • Love 8
7 minutes ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

My cynical side says the Lochte disruption was a probably a plant to try and drum up even more sympathy for a guy who doesn't deserve an ounce of it. I ignored his dance, and will continue to as long as he's in the competition.

oh good i'm not the only cynical bitch here lol

i totally thought it was a set up... also those sittign outside with their hands cuffed two look very familliar, i know i've seen them before, can't remember where... "professional protesters"maybe lol

though Ryan did seem shaken up when they came back, is he a good actor? lol

Laurie is all sorts of adorable. 

Why is Allison there? that dance wasn't foxtrot.. it was a lyrical inspired by foxtrot... and too jerky and weird... that said, what's Gleb's excuse. I love hot sexy dances, but come on... it's Viennese freaking waltz! leave the sex out of it!

I'm sad that Artem is gonna go soon... he is like a rolls royce on that dance floor: movements are so smooth and expensive.  when will he have a partner to complement him... 

Vanilla Ice's dance was not very good, but a 90's kid in me was beaming and smiling and not really caring.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, McManda said:

EW has a few more details about the men protesting Lochte. Apparently it was four women and two men, all wearing the same shirt. The men rushed the stage, security scuffled with them, one fell into Ryan and Cheryl. Oh, and Derek came in to help remove the women (all the big strong men and only Derek gets a mention? if it weren't so serious I'd laugh).

Side note, didn't cocktail attire used to be required for the audience? How do homemade anti-Lochte t-shirts make the cut?

TMZ says they ripped off/open their original shirts to show the No Lochte ones.

http://m.tmz.com/#article/2016/09/12/ryan-lochte-rushes-dwts-stage-tackled-and-detained/

Edited by Saytura
  • Love 1

I barely know anyone this season, so I'll go with what I remember. I liked Laurie, of course, but I also like that she doesn't seem fake smiling or pretending to "have fun". 

I don't understand why Marcia was crying, seriously, twice?? She looks very good for her age, but then, Mrs Brady looks even younger than her!

I wanted to like Jake from the Fosters, but I agree with mostly everyone, he seemed creepy. I don't know why. 

Also agree with everyone on Lochte. Seriously, with all the horrible people that have participated on this show and this is when we get an incident? And now I'm actually feeling sorry for him! Ugh, I hate this show! 

Vanilla Ice got way overscored. He wasn't even dancing any cha cha, he was just repeating moves from his stupid song. But I blame that on the Pro, she should've given him more material, even if he really sucks. Glenn was the only one not smoking crack on his scores.

Oh, I thought the little woman did well, and she seems nice. Did I hear correctly that she just gave birth 6 weeks ago?? I misheard that one, no??

• Love 2

I really enjoyed James Hinchcliffe, he really surprised me with how fluid he was.

I also think that based on tonight, Laurie is the one to beat as well.

I have to say though that in watching the bit with Cheryl and Ryan before their dance when they were showing her makeup free (or dance makeup free anyway), I was struck by how beautiful she was!  

I kind of feel for Ryan Lochte.  He may not be the brightest crayon in the box, and he did lie but I doubt inciting an international incident was his plan all along. 

Edited by corgi
Bad grammar
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, vavera4ka said:

Why is Allison there? that dance wasn't foxtrot.. it was a lyrical inspired by foxtrot... and too jerky and weird... that said, what's Gleb's excuse. I love hot sexy dances, but come on... it's Viennese freaking waltz! leave the sex out of it!

All of Allison's dances are -inspired by. But that's the new DWTS standard, so even though I think she sucks as a pro on this show, I'm not surprised the powers that be keep asking her back. 

And didn't you know, old Vienna was steaming with sex. Lots of grabbing and handsy things going on ... oh wait, no. I wasn't sure why he was asked back after so long, but after that showing on week one I can't say I'm really thrilled to see more. 

7 minutes ago, vavera4ka said:

I'm sad that Artem is gonna go soon... he is like a rolls royce on that dance floor: movements are so smooth and expensive.  when will he have a partner to complement him

I think this is a lot of why I like Artem. He's not overly sexy, all the time. He's classy sexy (the pro-Pony dance aside, but I'm not complaining), which is a much bigger turn on. Now, maybe that's because he never had a partner that fit the overtly sexy stereotype, but even when he had Janel and burlesque I didn't think it was on the same level. Or hell, when he was -dating- his partner on Strictly it still wasn't in your face sexy. 

• Love 3

I'm sorry in no universe did James Hinchcliffe deserve the same score as Laurie. He was good but it didn't look effortless like her cha cha did.

Still I was rather surprised by how much I liked him. And even though I tend to skip rehearsal packages I actually liked his, especially the crown! He's got a great personality. Also has Sharna's hair gone even more psychedelic or is that just me? Although I have bright purple in my hair so I can't really talk much.

No matter what anyone thinks about Ryan Lochte, that nastiness during his judging was completely uncalled for .... and earned him a pity vote from me I'm not gonna lie.

There's a reason Laurie has the nickname the human emoji. She killed it and looked like she was really having fun. Impossible for me not to smile.

Terra (sp?) was so much fun to watch. I hope she sticks around for awhile.

Marilu I really wanted to like but the tongue bath from CAI and Len just put me off. She was SO stiff in her upper body!

Other than that I didn't really watch too close so I can't comment. I realize the scores don't mean much but I still didn't understand a lot of them tonight.

Edited by SanLynn
  • Love 3

Might as well end the competition and give the Mirrorball to Laurie. The only one that potentially has the capability and personality to catch her is James. I think Jake Austin comes off like a real douche and he couldn't keep up with his partner, unlike every other person I didn't get the feel that he wanted to be there. I think he'll be the first one out. Vanilla Ice looks very dodgy when he's dancing anything other than hip hop. Rick Perry is terrible and was lucky to not see 4s. Marilu will get better as she has Derek, Maureen was nice and I loved how both those older ladies were genuinely overwhelmed by the occasion and appeciated how happy they were to be on the show. I gave votes to both of them. While Marilu probably has the dance ability to go further I think the best Maureen can hope for is week 4 or 5. Real shame because I love Artem, you can tell he's so kind, so caring and he's been treated like garbage by DWTS ever since he joined the show. The male version of Emma and direct replacement of Tristan for sure!

• Love 2

Rewatching the Lochte video with the focus on CAI - she was a backup dancer and she's never seen anyone rushed before?!?  Her reactions seems kind of tame to me for 2 guys being tackled - and then overly "wtf" and blank right before the throw to commercial.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, corgi said:

I kind of feel for Ryan Lochte.  He may not be the brightest crayon in the box, and he did lie but I doubt inciting an international incident was his plan all along. 

Do athletes get international relations training? Because I think Ryan is dim enough to not realize that his lying actions would be a big deal. He did a dumb thing and wanted to make himself look better to mommy. I'm pretty sure he didn't think that would turn into an international incident.  But I also think Mom Lochte shouldn't have told the story she got to the media, and I do think there's a but of truth to both sides of the story. Brazilian police aren't exactly known for being stand up citizens, either. 

Not to absolve Ryan, but basically I think everyone overreacted and needs to move on, right down to the protesters tonight. No one is right on this drama. 

• Love 20
4 minutes ago, Ripley68 said:

Rewatching the Lochte video with the focus on CAI - she was a backup dancer and she's never seen anyone rushed before?!?  Her reactions seems kind of tame to me for 2 guys being tackled - and then overly "wtf" and blank right before the throw to commercial.

It definitely happened, but whether one thinks it was staged was another story.  But people in the ballroom reported the play by play and there is partial video of at least one guy getting handcuffed or taken away or something.  It sounds like there was a group of men/women with "No Lochte" shirts.  They must have had them under other clothes and took them off when it was his turn.  I think the woman were just booing or protesting from the side, but the two men rushed the floor and tried to block the cameras, which started a scuffle with security and in the process one of the men bumped into Ryan/Cheryl/Tom.  Supposedly Derek was the one that came out yelling for security first and helped escort some of the females out.  Cheryl was crying to some extent.

Edited by spanana

As for the dancing ..

Laurie Hernandez she's adorable and crazy talented. 

James the racecar driver. I don't think he should be tied with Laurie but he had a novel first dance

Ryan Lochte not a great dance but not terrible either, ok for some one who has never danced.

Calvin Johnson ,another not bad for someone who has never danced. He has charm to spare and his smile made me smile. I hope he stays around.

Babyface kind of forgot about him with all the drama but he was middle of the pack

Amber Rose if she let's go a little she could be really good

Tera Jolie I have no clue who she is but she was OK

Maureen McCormick and Marilyn Henner I thought both were a little annoying especially at Marilus over the top reaction to Derek

Jana Kramer she seems a little desperate.  Her dance kind of bordered on trashy.

Jake t Austin I agree with the others that he seems creepy

Rick Perry was just bad 

So was vanilla ice I hope they are the first two out

I felt bad for Ryan he made a mistake but he didn't kill anybody or hit a woman or anything like that.

True, but what he did was use prejudice to disparage a race/culture in a false narrative.., I believe that is dangerous.  Much like Susan Smith blaming a "Black guy" for killing her kids.., so, I hate the trope that a 27 yr old is a "boy needs to grow up" thing.

• Love 18

One more note now that I've watched Laurie's routine for the 10th time. Tom commenting on how nervous everyone is but not Laurie made me laugh after hearing all about how the gymnasts in Martha Karolyi's program train.

After that there is nothing that is gonna freak this girl out. Except maybe the Rhumba.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, tiredofwork said:

True, but what he did was use prejudice to disparage a race/culture in a false narrative.., I believe that is dangerous.  Much like Susan Smith blaming a "Black guy" for killing her kids.., so, I hate the trope that a 27 yr old is a "boy needs to grow up" thing.

He's also 32, so no boys will be boys excuses.  I don't think Ryan deserves to be harmed but I will not be manipulated into feeling bad for him either.  I agree that a large part of the problem is what you said about him using prejudice to disparage a race/culture, but I don't really equate it with the Susan Smith example either.  I think much of it was born out of Ryan's stupidity, but he should still grow up and learn a lesson out of it.

I do think part of the issue versus other contestants with past scandals is the timing.  Most people don't appear on DWTS five seconds after a scandal happened.  It's usually years later so it's not as fresh to the public.  If Ryan waited a year and did the show, I think people would be a lot calmer about his appearance since it wouldn't be fresh in everyone's mind.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 19

Do athletes get international relations training? Because I think Ryan is dim enough to not realize that his lying actions would be a big deal. He did a dumb thing and wanted to make himself look better to mommy. I'm pretty sure he didn't think that would turn into an international incident.  But I also think Mom Lochte shouldn't have told the story she got to the media, and I do think there's a but of truth to both sides of the story. Brazilian police aren't exactly known for being stand up citizens, either. 

Not to absolve Ryan, but basically I think everyone overreacted and needs to move on, right down to the protesters tonight. No one is right on this drama. 

Seriously?  I don't think international relations training is needed when a piece of shit human is drunk, and MAKES UP A FUCKING LIE ABOUT PUTTING A GUN IN YOUR FACE.., Any overreaction was because the fuckhead spoiled bitch lied.

• Love 10
25 minutes ago, ChocButterfly said:

I barely know anyone this season, so I'll go with what I remember. I liked Laurie, of course, but I also like that she doesn't seem fake smiling or pretending to "have fun". 

I don't understand why Marcia was crying, seriously, twice?? She looks very good for her age, but then, Mrs Brady looks even younger than her!

I wanted to like Jake from the Fosters, but I agree with mostly everyone, he seemed creepy. I don't know why. 

Also agree with everyone on Lochte. Seriously, with all the horrible people that have participated on this show and this is when we get an incident? And now I'm actually feeling sorry for him! Ugh, I hate this show! 

Vanilla Ice got way overscored. He wasn't even dancing any cha cha, he was just repeating moves from his stupid song. But I blame that on the Pro, she should've given him more material, even if he really sucks. Glenn was the only one not smoking crack on his scores.

Oh, I thought the little woman did well, and she seems nice. Did I hear correctly that she just gave birth 6 weeks ago?? I misheard that one, no??

Six weeks ago and a c-section.

4 minutes ago, tiredofwork said:

Those two things aren't remotely comparable. 

• Love 10