Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3 Discussion

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

So, this is actually a topic that kind of drives me nuts, so I might not be totally objective about this, but I`m in higher education (just got my degree in student affairs), and we are having tons of issues with young adults who think that they only way to be successful is to go to a traditional four year school and get a degree, and that if they dont, no matter what they do, they're a "failure". This is leading to tons of unhappy kids who are stuck with degrees in things they have no real interest in, talent in, or have no real job prospects.

No, I totally agree with you.  I have worked in Higher Education all my adult life in various capacities.  And let me tell you, not every child is cut out for the full 4-year college experience.  I would meet with really smart kids who were failing out because their parents pushed them into something they didn't want to do or weren't ready for. Also tuition at a 4-year private school can cost more than your house.  And.. there is still no guarantee they are going to end up getting a job in their chosen (or not chosen) area.  So they come out with debt, or you have a second mortgage on your house and they end up working in a field where that has no relation to what they went to school for.  Take it from someone whose current career has absolutely zero to do with what I got either my undergrad or grad degrees in. 

If my kid comes to me and tells me he wants to go to the local community college to learn welding (let me tell you the world NEEDS welders!!) I would sign him right up!  Me and my snobby PhD husband (he's like Bow only he feels the PHd is superior to the MD) would be glad for it. 

Ok, off my soapbox....  As for the show... this was not my favorite.  I liked the central story with Jack because it created an argument (Bow and Dre's 'I want my kids to strive for the American dream in a proscribed' way)  but it also offered a strong counter argument ("who says college ad white collar bourginess is the only way to achieve a dream?")  And it made the counter argument more compelling.

But... I did not like the denouement of the Diane subplot.  If they had just made it about Ruby being overly hysterical about demonic possession and kept Diane as just the unwitting recipient of Ruby's craziness, that would have been fine.  That would have actually felt like some meta commentary on the viewing audience's unease over Diane.  But yeah it went one step far. It took the gag past the funny point and into the unrealistic.

And I have to agree, I am not liking how caricaturish they are making Stevens.  In the first season he was  much more interesting character.  He was rich and out of touch but there was no overt racism there.  They have made him into a cartoon.  I am not liking the office scenes at all anymore when I used to love them.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 12
2 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

And I have to agree, I am not liking how caricaturish they are making Stevens.  In the first season he was  much more interesting character.  He was rich and out of touch but there was no overt racism there.  They have made him into a cartoon.  I am not liking the office scenes at all anymore when I used to love them.

THIS. And whose bone-headed idea was it to bring his son into the office scenes? He's not at all funny and a worse racist. They got rid of Lucy for this ignoramus?

• Love 23

Dre really likes his job and likes the company he works for; if he has to listen to overt racism every day I don't think it would he would feel so positive. I understand comedy is very broad sometimes, but at the end of the day I want to laugh not feel outraged. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

So, this is actually a topic that kind of drives me nuts, so I might not be totally objective about this, but I`m in higher education (just got my degree in student affairs), and we are having tons of issues with young adults who think that they only way to be successful is to go to a traditional four year school and get a degree, and that if they dont, no matter what they do, they're a "failure". This is leading to tons of unhappy kids who are stuck with degrees in things they have no real interest in, talent in, or have no real job prospects. There is nothing at all wrong with getting a blue collar job! I was totally with Pops and Ruby for most of the episode. Dre and Bow (especially Bow) were pretty snobby in this episode, although I guess they learned a lesson by the end. On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with Dre working a white collar job. Some people are good at blue collar jobs, some people are good at white collar jobs, its just how people are. It has nothing to do with intelligence. Hell, Jack could probably find a BETTER, more well paying job, with longer term prospects, being a mechanic or a plummer, than with a lot of white collar jobs. Sorry if that got ranty, but this really bugs me! Its not the generations going back, its just people doing what they're good at. Plus, as others have said, Jack is freaking 9. Give him some time. 

I still really like this show, I really do, but I feel its falling into the sitcom cliches of everything being taken up to 11. Especially with Diane and Dre`s co-workers. Diane used to be a pretty diabolical and snarky kid, but she wasn't devil possessed or a future serial killer. Dre`s boss and co-workers were clueless privileged jerks, but they weren't so blatant, and Stevens whole wasn't "OMG racist!" as his whole character. I also miss his female co-worker. At least Dre had someone a little more sympathetic in meetings with him, who wasn't totally off his nut like Charlie. 

completley agree. my husband has a white collar job and is MISERABLE.  I've encouraged my son to be a mechanic or plumber because they can't be shipped overseas!!!  You need your plumber HERE.  But, alas, he wants the white collar job.  Oh well, as much as I want to orchestrate my son's life, he resists.  

And yes, they need to dial back on the racism at work.  It was much funnier when it was subtle.  Now it's just ridiculous.  

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

This may be a comedy but I think it's dangerous to paint Black children as inherently bad and who should be feared. Diane has the advantage of a well-to-do family that will probably always be able to protect her but many Black kids don't. We're already seeing how these kinds of negative presumptions are playing out for Black children across the nation. It's gone from excessive school suspensions to actual death. I hope the producers and writers of Black-ish consider this when they're taking Diane's characterization to such an extreme.

I can't agree with that at all. Diane is comically dangerous. Jack is not. Junior is not. Zoey is not.

Last week I didn't find Diane's 'evilness' funny, but I did this week. I don't know why. Maybe because it was countered by Ruby's OTT reaction to it. I also liked the bit when Bow tells Pops that Diane is a very sweet little girl, but when Pops says that Diane is right behind her, Bow gasps and jumps out of her skin. Hee. I also liked the scene in the guidance counselor's office, where when he brings up Diane, Dre and Bow get up and leave. Then the counselor calls after them, "Teachers are scared!" This is all so ridiculous that I found it funny.

Of course Ruby's reactions were the best. Loved when she flicked some of her holy water -- i.e., white zin -- at Diane, and also when she stood up and took off her earrings before putting up her dukes to fight the devil.

5 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

What was the deal with the ice cream?  Why was Ruby afraid to eat it?

It had freezer burn. 

1 hour ago, Dee said:

Their idea about potential roads to success are as limited as Earl and Ruby's.

Right, which was certainly the point. 

Looking back on my education, I wish I had gone into plumbing or electrical work. Of course when I was growing up, those kinds of jobs were not thought of as potential women's jobs. So I got a BA in English. (As a comedian said once, I can open a poem repair shop.) I know there are unemployed trade people, but still, there's always a need for someone to fix plumbing, install lights, fix a car. 

As far as the office scenes go, I sure am sorry they've made the boss so racist. I think there's a way to do that in a humorous way, but it's not working for me. I did like Charlie's reaction, balling up his fists. Loved him whispering to Dre, "Why isn't your fist balled?" 

I liked when Dre called it "huh-vac," and Pops corrected him, "HVAC."

"Ignacio on the move."

"Black Jesus!"

• Love 13
25 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

As far as the office scenes go, I sure am sorry they've made the boss so racist. I think there's a way to do that in a humorous way, but it's not working for me. I did like Charlie's reaction, balling up his fists. Loved him whispering to Dre, "Why isn't your fist balled?"

To which Dre responded by balling up his fist!  Hee!

• Love 6

Diane is comically dangerous

Sure, for those of us who know better. But for plenty of people, this stuff plays right into their ugly preconceived notions. I think there are other ways for this show to make a Black child funny without painting them as satanic. (And again, it particularly bothered me that they showed Bow apparently on board with the "Diane is evil" stuff. Unless Diane is killing small animals or setting houses on fire or something similar, it doesn't fly and isn't funny. IMO, of course.)

• Love 1

I hate the whole '[minority character] being portrayed negatively influences stereotypes' argument.  

Further, up until last night I thought the show had done a fantastic job with the whole 'Diane is "evil"' thing, though I didnt think it would have worked without Marsai in the role.  The show seemed know exactly where the line was, approach it, and then back away.

But as with Stevens already earlier this season, last night with Diane they ran past the line and then kept going until it wasnt even a dot.  Between Bow being legit terrified when Earl said Diane was behind her, to the bizarre way they ended that possessed plot . . .

Thry could have saved it by cutting off that last bit of the real bed levitation and Diane doing a sinister grin, or adding an additional of Diane, Junior, and Zoe laughing about really getting Ruby.

Instead they end it on a blunt note of Diane is actually possessed/evil.  

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 2

I’m glad Dre finally said, “Why do I keep opening up to you guys?” I keep asking myself that every week. I guess it works for TV but in real life it’s very annoying dealing with that coworker who brings their outside life to work everyday and looking to you to be their personal shrink.

• Love 3

"I didn't go to college and my life is great!" - "You live off us!" - "And that's great!"  I loved this, it was funny, but at the same time could it be that Pop's life is so great precisely because Dre hasn't followed his blue-collar career path then? You know, putting shoes on insurance-selling dogs is what's paying for your great life here. 

I liked Diane's plot's ending. I don't believe in devil and don't consider being possessed a rational explanation, so for me it was just weird and unexpected. I like weird and unexpected.

• Love 3

As a white collar person who recently fixed her own toilet (and felt ridiculously triumphant for having done so), I would encourage Dre and Bow to encourage Jack's blue-collar ambitions. Because even if he veers to white-collar work eventually, knowing how to DIY will be a lifesaver in the coming apocalypse.

• Love 15
16 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Last week I didn't find Diane's 'evilness' funny, but I did this week. I don't know why. Maybe because it was countered by Ruby's OTT reaction to it. I also liked the bit when Bow tells Pops that Diane is a very sweet little girl, but when Pops says that Diane is right behind her, Bow gasps and jumps out of her skin. Hee. I also liked the scene in the guidance counselor's office, where when he brings up Diane, Dre and Bow get up and leave. Then the counselor calls after them, "Teachers are scared!" This is all so ridiculous that I found it funny.

YES!  Gold.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, attica said:

As a white collar person who recently fixed her own toilet (and felt ridiculously triumphant for having done so), I would encourage Dre and Bow to encourage Jack's blue-collar ambitions. Because even if he veers to white-collar work eventually, knowing how to DIY will be a lifesaver in the coming apocalypse.

I know exactly how you feel - I fixed my toilet too!  I'm sure a plumber would have cost me at least $200. Youtube has a how-to for just about anything!

My dad is one of those people who can do just about anything (but he draws the line at car maintenance; I think there's a story there).  He's from that generation.  Nowadays, people don't even mow their own lawns; I can't imagine plucking a chicken in the coming apocalypse.

• Love 5

I am still in the "I will let it pass because it is a sitcom" territory, but this show is heading toward  "oh come on, that is too OTT!" Seems to me that a lot of show start become parodies of their former selves in the third season.  You build some characters around the quirks that make them fresh/funny, and then they keep amping up the quirks until suspending belief becomes too difficult.

On 11/10/2016 at 6:57 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Agree with comments upthread and think this "Diane is evil" stuff has gone too far, especially now that they've got Bow in on it too. The audience needs to be told what that's all about and/or we need to see some indication that Diane's been running a long con on everyone for some silly reason and is just a regular but perhaps extra smart child.

Or, since she is only nine, she could have some experiences that make her realize that being evil is not the right life goal. Have Bo and Dre realize they have excused her behavior for too long and that it needs to be dealt with and/or have Diane be a "victim" (in quote, because I don't want the show to get too heavy) of someone evil and/or have Diane have some negative consequences for her behavior and/or have the baby (Bo is still pregnant, right?) give Diane a start to a change of heart somehow.  It is not to late for the character to be saved (and not in the way Ruby wanted to save her).

35 minutes ago, MaryMitch said:

My dad is one of those people who can do just about anything (but he draws the line at car maintenance; I think there's a story there).  He's from that generation.  Nowadays, people don't even mow their own lawns; I can't imagine plucking a chicken in the coming apocalypse.

I grew up in a family that fixed their own stuff.  My husband didn't, but, fortunately he was willing to try and we have saved a lot of money over the years by doing things ourselves.  We won't touch electrical work.  And I don't think I would pluck a chicken after the apocalypse, just throw the whole thing in a pot of boiling water (if we still have potable water) and let the dog have the skin.                                   

• Love 3

I hate the whole '[minority character] being portrayed negatively influences stereotypes' argument.  

I got no problem with people of any race being portrayed negatively. I'm watching Empire right now and enjoying Lucius and his ridiculously evil and manipulative self. What I object to is minority children being portayed as, for example, satanic, even as part of so-called comedy.

I think it's funny when we see evidence of this odd longstanding beef between Diane and Charles. I think it's funny when Diane pranks her siblings. I think it's funny when Diane lets the audience know she's suffering the fools around her but perhaps not gladly. However, she's a little girl and we've been given no indication that she's mentally ill. She's just very smart and very strong-willed. Trying to paint that as "evil" is dangerous, IMO, and I wish the Black-ish writers/producers would dial it back.

This topic may be edging into OT territory for this thread...

• Love 4

I find it interesting how Diane is playfully snarky with both her brothers but has a fairly chill relationship with Zoey.

One would think the pairing of Withering Zoey and Sardonic Diane could/would serve as an endless source for potential stories, but other than a brief subplot together last season, they've essentially been ignored.

• Love 7
On 2016-11-10 at 1:41 PM, tennisgurl said:

So, this is actually a topic that kind of drives me nuts, so I might not be totally objective about this, but I`m in higher education (just got my degree in student affairs), and we are having tons of issues with young adults who think that they only way to be successful is to go to a traditional four year school and get a degree, and that if they dont, no matter what they do, they're a "failure". This is leading to tons of unhappy kids who are stuck with degrees in things they have no real interest in, talent in, or have no real job prospects.

For many minorities, a four year school and a white collar job is the only way to "escape" many forms of discrimination, which are, whether people truly want to admit it or not, are more class-related than race.  It's just the view of minorities = poor that is at issue.  These views are often seen even among (various) minority groups - actually I think it's worse (that's why you have the Tiger Parent stereotype).  If I had a dime every time people (usually minorities - and not just racial minorities) ask me "what it was like" every time I tell them I went to a (university preparatory) private school because they think I was the only (or one of the only) Asian kids, then I would have a closet full of Louboutins.  Same with people who assume only white people hire "help" for their home.  I know plenty of Asian kids with nannies.

Edited by PRgal
  • Love 3

What a horrible episode.

They totally acted like blue collar jobs are beneath them.

Are the writers idiots stuck in their own bubble? I know plenty of plumbers who make really good money. As well as electricians and welders.

• Love 8
25 minutes ago, Marley said:

What a horrible episode.

Are the writers idiots stuck in their own bubble? I know plenty of plumbers who make really good money. As well as electricians and welders.

It's often NOT about money, but being white collar.  It's cultural (and I don't mean race/ethnicity here).

• Love 3
On 11/10/2016 at 0:56 AM, sassykattt said:

The premise that only stupid people are blue collar,  A lot of the people with Bachelor degrees whining about how they can't get a decent job would have been a LOT better off learning a trade. RE: the protests, I've been avoiding any kind of news since my heart was broken and I cry again

Yes, they could have incorporated Johan having no job with a college degree into this. Learning a trade offers a lot more job security these days.

• Love 7

The guy that does my lawn (am no longer able to do it myself) has a landscaping business, including tree work, gutters, etc.  I chose him because at $40 a cut & trim, he's more reasonably priced than the teen I used to use. He employs five people and services neighboring towns as well.  When he has his off season, every year he boards a plane and winters in Fiji.  I'm jealous!

I enjoyed this episode.  I love Pops, and I love Pops and Ruby playing off each other.

The Diane is evil stuff is getting a bit much.  I wouldn't mind her being taken down a peg.  And I'm beginning to wonder why Dre still continues to  work for a company with such an overtly racist boss.

But otherwise I thought this was a well balanced episode about what parents want and dream for their kids, doing a good job of showing both sides.

• Love 2

I can open a poem repair shop

Awesome, so true.

Imagine what this show might've been like if Diane had been the one who tested to be of the blue collar persuasion.

That would have been great.

I really take offense at the attitude that white collar is somehow better than blue collar. Such bullshit, so obnoxious.

I don't find Diane tormenting her brothers to be amusing. She's a bully. I just like Jack and Junior more than Diane or Zoey, I guess.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, Marley said:

What a horrible episode.

8 hours ago, possibilities said:

I really take offense at the attitude that white collar is somehow better than blue collar. Such bullshit, so obnoxious.

While I think the writers could have done a better job showing the upside of being blue collar, I did find Dre and Bo's reaction an attitude to be completely believable for Dre and Bo.  

They also didn't show that being white collar is all that superior - Dre works with idiots and racists, and Dre and Ruby have a lot of higher education, but neither can fix anything.  The show was about the superior attitude of Dre and Bo (and Diane). 

• Love 7
On 11/10/2016 at 9:57 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Agree with comments upthread and think this "Diane is evil" stuff has gone too far, especially now that they've got Bow in on it too. The audience needs to be told what that's all about and/or we need to see some indication that Diane's been running a long con on everyone for some silly reason and is just a regular but perhaps extra smart child.

This may be a comedy but I think it's dangerous to paint Black children as inherently bad and who should be feared. Diane has the advantage of a well-to-do family that will probably always be able to protect her but many Black kids don't. We're already seeing how these kinds of negative presumptions are playing out for Black children across the nation. It's gone from excessive school suspensions to actual death. I hope the producers and writers of Black-ish consider this when they're taking Diane's characterization to such an extreme.

Jenifer Lewis is a treasure.

I couldn't agree more.  I hate the implication about Diane and the more insidious racial component, as Diane is the Johnson child with the darkest complexion.  I'm not saying that is the intention of the show, but it's there, even if it is inadvertent or subconscious. I agree with your intelligence comment, I think Diane is the smartest Johnson child and that she is just living up, or should i say down, to the low expectations her family seems to have.  I often wonder what we would discover if Diane's therapist was ever cast. I'm not saying she should betray Diane's confidence, but a scene or two to let the viewer know she is not a demon seed would be appreciated.

Jennifer Lewis is two treasures. I just wish we got more scenes with her and Laurence Fishbourne.

• Love 5

I'm not sure what it is; but it seems whenever a show has been interrupted or pre-empted for a "breaking news story" it takes FORRRRRREVVVVVER!!!! for ABC to put it up On Demand. I wonder if I check its site whether I can watch it there. I mean, it was only for a minute, but it was a funny moment and I want to see it, dammit!

• Love 2
On 11/10/2016 at 0:15 PM, Dee said:

Ruby wasn't afraid to eat the ice cream.

She coated the ice cream with a contagious disease (now you see where Diane gets it) and coaxed them to eat it.

She didn't coat the ice cream with anything.  It was old and had freezer burn.  At least that was my take on it.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Happytobehere said:

She didn't coat the ice cream with anything.  It was old and had freezer burn.  At least that was my take on it.

Yeah, that was my take on it. She just told Bo it was coated with monkey pox or something. Again, need to rewatch to confirm. She was trying to get Pops to eat it; then Bo. But when Dre reached for it, she took it away, and muttered freezer burn, I think.

• Love 4

When Ruby takes the ice cream away from Andre her muttered reasoning for doing so is because it was freezer burned and laced with monkeypox.

That's why she was ok with Earl (who knew better) and/or Rainbow (who should've known better) eating it, but not precious son.

The whole thing was meant as an absurd joke, as black-ish is wont to do from time to time, though I can see where it fell flat for some.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, needschocolate said:

The show was about the superior attitude of Dre and Bo (and Diane). 

Yes, and I found their attitude obnoxious in the extreme.

One thing I'm grateful for is that they're not going for all the pregnancy tropes. Bow is just Bow, not "crazy preggo lady".

• Love 7

I have no idea what the timeline is with this show, it seems to exist in that timeless place so many sitcoms do. But she could still be troped out on morning sickness (and I'm glad she isn't) or mined for "it's the hormones" humor (which I hate), even if she's in the early weeks.

However long it's been, they went to Disney and she couldn't ride the rollercoaster, and it feels like they've been reminding us that she's pregnant because otherwise we'd all probably forget. Which I'm fine with; I really don't know why they gave her this pregnancy. I don't see how it will add to the show in any way.

• Love 5
On Friday, November 11, 2016 at 7:08 PM, ChromaKelly said:

Yes, they could have incorporated Johan having no job with a college degree into this. Learning a trade offers a lot more job security these days.

The one time Johan would have been useful he's conveniently absent. 

11 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

How much time has passed? Because Bow doesn't look like she's pregnant-her belly is still flat. Shouldn't she be showing just a wee bit by now?

I assume the Disney episode occurred during summer vacation. I'll say August. Next week is the Thanksgiving show. Let's say Bow is six weeks during the Disney trip. Thanksgiving she can be at least 18 weeks or four and a half months. She should be showing. Bo is slim but I don't think she has the "I was pregnant and never knew it body."

Edited by Arcadiasw
  • Love 2
On 11/10/2016 at 1:41 PM, tennisgurl said:

I still really like this show, I really do, but I feel its falling into the sitcom cliches of everything being taken up to 11. Especially with Diane and Dre`s co-workers. Diane used to be a pretty diabolical and snarky kid, but she wasn't devil possessed or a future serial killer. Dre`s boss and co-workers were clueless privileged jerks, but they weren't so blatant, and Stevens whole wasn't "OMG racist!" as his whole character. I also miss his female co-worker. At least Dre had someone a little more sympathetic in meetings with him, who wasn't totally off his nut like Charlie. 

ALL THIS.

On 11/12/2016 at 6:06 PM, Happytobehere said:

On 11/12/2016 at 6:06 PM, Happytobehere said:

I couldn't agree more.  I hate the implication about Diane and the more insidious racial component, as Diane is the Johnson child with the darkest complexion.  I'm not saying that is the intention of the show, but it's there, even if it is inadvertent or subconscious. I agree with your intelligence comment, I think Diane is the smartest Johnson child and that she is just living up, or should i say down, to the low expectations her family seems to have.  I often wonder what we would discover if Diane's therapist was ever cast. I'm not saying she should betray Diane's confidence, but a scene or two to let the viewer know she is not a demon seed would be appreciated.

Jennifer Lewis is two treasures. I just wish we got more scenes with her and Laurence Fishbourne.

While I'm at it, this ^ too.  Blackish always had to walk a fine line, but now, between the way Diane is being portrayed and the unseemliness of Stevens and his awful son (who they can get rid of any time as far as I am concerned), they've forgotten that the line even exists.

• Love 4
On 10/28/2016 at 2:22 PM, charmed1 said:

Ha ha! That reminds me of my favorite scene in LA Story where everybody leaves the party and gets in their car, only to drive 30 feet to their driveway next door.

And your story reminds me of an episode of Fat Albert where Albert and his family were moving, and they loaded the moving van and drove away... only to have the moving van circle the block and park in front of the building right next door to their old one. The episode was about friendship, so I was cheering that Albert wouldn't have to leave his friends. 

• Love 2
On 10/29/2016 at 11:37 PM, Perfect Xero said:

Somehow in an episode where Diane is a murderous psychopath ready to burn down a neighbor's home, Ruby led a Purge, and Dre and Bow both pulled off hugely elaborate pranks involving their entire work staffs, Junior dunking a basketball was still the most over-the-top thing to happen.

I took it as Diane being swept up in the evil frenzy that is The Purge. I don't think she would normally walk around with Malatov cocktails. Would Ruby normally knock off a neighbor's mail box? Probably not. 

And I liked the CGI/harness work when Junior dunked over Dre. 

• Love 3

Bow must address unresolved feelings about her own biracial identity when Junior brings home his first girlfriend, who happens to be white. Dre is handling a big project for a client at work and relies on Charlie to teach him how to relate to the campaign’s white, female point-person. Meanwhile, Zoey needs extra credit for her design class, and asks Jack and Diane if she can remodel their room.

On 10/12/2016 at 8:28 PM, Dancingjaneway said:

I really loved this episode. I guess I didn't really pay attention to all the Trump vs. Hilary stuff. Junior in that outfit and then playing the song that turned into that owl city song had me laughing my ass off. Ruby and her kitten heels was hilarious. I loved Dre's Obama montage. My favorite thing though was Murder Flowers. 

I love Junior, and Iwish people, especially Dre, would stop trying to change him. He had some cool dance moves during "Panda," but when the song accidentally switched, I wish he would've started grooving to whatever pop song started playing from his phone. 

Andre's actually made progress in that regard.

The Andre of Season 1 would've made Junior, and everyone else, miserable by forcing Junior run Andre's way.

The Andre of Season 3 accepts Junior's decision to drop out of the race, and then later, is honestly thrilled for Junior winning on his own terms.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Skyfall said:

The kids were the best story, the other two sucked.

Nope.  I liked Pops, Ruby, and AV's story, too, since it gave us a bit more of a look into Pops and Ruby's marriage and how it fell apart.

And in the end, I thought it was sweet that Zoey didn't shatter Junior, Jack, and Diane's image of Pops by not telling the truth about their grandparents and great-aunt.  Even though I do think Junior is old enough that he could've taken the truth.

Dre and Bow's story was the pits, though.

• Love 15
18 minutes ago, Michel said:

Nope.  I liked Pops, Ruby, and AV's story, too, since it gave us a bit more of a look into Pops and Ruby's marriage and how it fell apart.

Exactly!

Earl's cheating has always been played for laughs, but his exploits genuinely hurt Ruby, to the point where she lost a close friend because of it.

It was nice Earl finally took responsibility for his canine ways and helped heal Ruby and AV's relationship. Even if it happened 40 years too late.

• Love 14

This show makes me laugh. I mean, really laugh, not just smile or chuckle inwardly.  When Ruby cut all of Pop's linen shirts into hula shirts, I was dying.  Also, Jack's reaction to being left as back up in charge.

As is typically the case, Dre and Bow were the least funny part.

• Love 8

I loved the kids' subplot.  Especially how each one came back with a snippet of the story and drew not only wrong conclusions but wildly crazy conclusions.  The show really does well when they put all four into their own subplot.  Their different personalities make for great chemistry.

I also liked Pops/Ruby's storyline.  It was some great new background on Pops and Ruby played for just the right amount of comedy and heart.  It also played very much to both their strengths, especially Jenifer Lewis'.  I loved how she rolled AV's name off her tongue every time: Almaviligerais.   I also giggled at the flashback when Ruby and Pops first meet.  Him in that terrible afro and pushing his chest out to be extra manly.  Her goggling over his big arms and shoulders heh.  But yeah, I liked seeing more about their characters.  Also Lorraine Toussaint is perfect as Pops' sister.

Dre and Bow's story was a throwaway.  Easily could have done without, but it let the other shine.

And finally, I love how as Dre and Bow were leaving Diane said "bring me money!" It sounded like an ad-lib.

• Love 11