Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3 Discussion

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, Dee said:

Rainbow's doorknocker earrings were tres cute.

Black-ish's wardrobe department is definitely on the ball this season.

It reminded me of Pam/Charmaine's earrings on The Cosby Show (and 80's /early 90's big gold earrings in general). Loved them!

• Love 6

Pops' text, "Make them wait. Clock emoji," cracked me up. The way he said 'clock emoji' was so serious and purposeful. And then they follow it up with 'emoji rainbow, black emoji arm flex.' So great.

I think my favorite bit in this ep was when Pops flashed back to when he was an elevator operator and a white girl came in. The way he took off his hat, set it on the stool, and strode out was hilarious.

Of course Charlie saying, "Careful Dre. Someone's out there setting traps," was great.

Bow's delivery of the lines, "Now we know. It's your sneakers. We gotta bring em to the govt so they can fix our world," was absolutely perfect. It could have been said any number of other says, but TER did just the right one.

I also loved when she brought the kids rice krispie treats, and Diane takes one and says, "Thanks, lady."

I liked all of Dre's imaginings of what would happen if he said various things to the cop. I was surprised his running was real. Jr and whatshisname also running surprised me even more. In fact, until the very end I thought Jr and the uncle were just fooling Dre. 

• Love 12
6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I was laughing throughout the whole show! Loved it. My favorite part was the texting between Pops and Bow, with them saying what emoji they were using!

Ha! Me too. I actually came back to mention the texting and saying the emojis.

• Love 1
On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 8:50 PM, Dee said:

Only hated the ham-handed writing of the final scene to shame Zoey into believing in God. If she doesn't believe, she doesn't belive.

I think it would be interesting to see an atheist character, or a character who does question faith.  ESPECIALLY in the black community.  I want so much to like this show.  I did some of the same things when I was younger...wanting a bat mitzvah (black girl) because my friends were having them.  My parents mostly left religion up to me thinking that I would chose something later, when I actually chose nothing to their disappointment.  I would like to see that represented.

I too am going to have to check out the podcast.

Also, I have to go back and read the other threads, but what is the hostility that Dre has towards Bow's family?  I can understand a free-loading brother--a little-- but with this episode and the episode last season with her parents, it seems to go deeper than that and I don't get it when she is so patient with his mother.

Earl teaching Rainbow his pimps moves, Charlie waiting to move on Bow at Dre's fantasy funeral, and Dre backing away slowly from the child were fantastic.

However, 'they' may call him Johan, but I call him annoying as fuck.  Seriously why is this stupid hippie on the show.  Especially when my girl Ruby isnt.  

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 6

It goes back to the dinner conversation the family had when D'Alicia and Paul last came to visit. Andre has a very specific idea of what constitutes Blackness and views Rainbow's family as pretentious snobs who are willfully naive when it comes to racism.

And being patient with overbearing mother-in-law's is a trait Andre & Rainbow share, because D'Alicia is unrelentingly hostile to Andre.

I'm surprised that everybody is praising this episode. I thought every single storyline felt unfinished.  I'm not sure I got the point of Dre's storyline, and I'm still not sure whether or not Bow got what she wanted out of hers.

Edited by Michel
  • Love 1

I liked when Pops sent a top hat emoji followed by, "Wrong emoji."

9 hours ago, fishcakes said:

Oh, I think it was about race. If that had been a little black girl, no one would think twice about Dre being with her; it would be assumed he was her dad. White man with a black child? Would likely get a double-take, but if the white guy looks as solidly middle-class as Dre looks, the assumptions would probably be adoptive dad, babysitting, or helping a lost child.

Black men may well be even more apprehensive about it because of racial issues and prejudice that they face in their lives, but I found it very hard to believe that neither of his male co-workers understood where he was coming from on that one. I mean, I'd have said that they should have gone and found someone to help the kid rather than just leaving her alone in an elevator, but as an adult male I'd have understood not wanting to risk being alone with an upset child that you are not related to. I think it's something that many adult men of all races are apprehensive about.

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Pops' text, "Make them wait. Clock emoji," cracked me up. The way he said 'clock emoji' was so serious and purposeful. And then they follow it up with 'emoji rainbow, black emoji arm flex.' So great.

I think my favorite bit in this ep was when Pops flashed back to when he was an elevator operator and a white girl came in. The way he took off his hat, set it on the stool, and strode out was hilarious.

Of course Charlie saying, "Careful Dre. Someone's out there setting traps," was great.

Bow's delivery of the lines, "Now we know. It's your sneakers. We gotta bring em to the govt so they can fix our world," was absolutely perfect. It could have been said any number of other says, but TER did just the right one.

I also loved when she brought the kids rice krispie treats, and Diane takes one and says, "Thanks, lady."

I liked all of Dre's imaginings of what would happen if he said various things to the cop. I was surprised his running was real. Jr and whatshisname also running surprised me even more. In fact, until the very end I thought Jr and the uncle were just fooling Dre. 

I thought it would be a trick too.

As far as I can tell from Junior and Hippie Brother's story they both got paranoid and took off after Dre. So the police pulled over a car and then saw three men get out and run before they even approached the car. The cop(s) gave chase, caught Hippie, presumably, either catching him by the arm or by tackling him (which would explain his torn shirt), and then ... let him go so quickly that he got home a minute after Junior? Am I missing something in this exchange? Three men ran from a traffic stop, one was caught and physically restrained and then released almost right away after he told them his story? I mean, isn't that, like, the best possible way that situation could have played out once they decided to run? Yet Junior and Hippie are acting like they've had their eyes opened by the experience?

• Love 12
41 minutes ago, Perfect Xero said:

Black men may well be even more apprehensive about it because of racial issues and prejudice that they face in their lives, but I found it very hard to believe that neither of his male co-workers understood where he was coming from on that one. I mean, I'd have said that they should have gone and found someone to help the kid rather than just leaving her alone in an elevator, but as an adult male I'd have understood not wanting to risk being alone with an upset child that you are not related to.

I don't think they cared to understand anything. They just kept berating Dre for being a "monster" and leaving the poor, upset girl in the elevator, but really, what did they do to help her? It didn't look like they rushed to call anyone about it - the girl kept riding up and down all the way through their conversation, long enough for Charlie AND Curtis to find her there.

• Love 6

"Is that what I sound like?"  "Worse, and you're an adult."  LMAO.

So many hilarious things this episode.

13 hours ago, Dee said:

The only thing that felt like a false note in this episode was the show trying to soft peddle Johan's interactions with the cops.

If you're going to give a character a sobering change of heart (even a mild one) about an issue you need to commit to it, show!

I thought this as well.  I would have rather they made Johan trip and roll into the bushes or something after trying to retrieve his flyers.  It was like they didn't want to go too dark so they took the easy way out.

3 hours ago, Michel said:

I'm surprised that everybody is praising this episode. I thought every single storyline felt unfinished.  I'm not sure I got the point of Dr's storyline, and I'm still not sure whether or not Bow got what she wanted out of hers.

Same here.  I was sure I had missed a scene with Bow and the kids resolving their issue when the ending scene of Bow and Dre watching movies in bed came on. 

• Love 4

"It's a crime to be blaack. Whether you're Kevin Hart or you're Shaaaq."  Ha! Junior's new hotep poetry is hilarious. I was snapping for him.

I'm surprised the name "Susan Smith" didn't come up anywhere in this episode. 

Good lord, I hated "Driving Miss Daisy," too. I remember my mom and I going to see it in the theater when I was a kid and my mom saying she "could've saved [her] damned money." She hasn't spoken about that movie ever since. I'm glad Toonces finally avenged us.1990-02-10-5.jpg

Edited by charmed1
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, Tiger said:

Earl teaching Rainbow his pimps moves, Charlie waiting to move on Bow at Dre's fantasy funeral, and Dre backing away slowly from the child were fantastic.

However, 'they' may call him Johan, but I call him annoying as fuck.  Seriously why is this stupid hippie on the show.  Especially when my girl Ruby isnt.  

Glad to see I am not alone. Its something about his voice that gets on my nerves.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Tiger said:

There's a lack of backstory to Johan unless I missed it. Did they say how long Johan was going to be there and why he was staying for so long? He's turning into the guest that won't leave.

• Love 5

I read an article that said Johan was going to be there to help the family since Bow is pregnant and that his arc would be at least six episodes. Bow isn't even showing yet and doesn't appear to need help, so maybe that's coming later. (Still not interested in the new baby.)

• Love 2
On 10/14/2016 at 2:17 PM, Arcadiasw said:

He's turning into the guest that won't leave.

I would gladly watch extended visits by D'Alecea, Bow's father, Bow's sister IF played by Maya Rudolph, Raven, Raven's wife, and Raven's in-laws.   Hell, bring back those bully cousins.  

But get Johan the fuck off my screen.

As an aside, I thought the wedding renewal episode when they had D'Alecea & Beau Bridges playing off Earl & Ruby was the series best episode to date.

• Love 3
On 10/13/2016 at 1:31 AM, HerkyJerky said:

Earl told Bow that he was going to give her three tips from his pimp game; keep the kids waiting, and make them jealous.  What was the third thing?

Hee! His pimp game is working! We're waiting!!! 

I could not relate to Dre, leaving that poor scared baby in the elevator, but I'm a woman. 

I love Johan!! I do! He could be Josh's friend.....

• Love 1
On 10/13/2016 at 8:35 AM, Arcadiasw said:

I thought it was stupid of Johan to tell Dre don’t worry about his wallet and leave his house without ID. You always leave the house with your ID. When Dre said, he blamed himself, I agreed. I would’ve driven the drunk neighbor home in my car and let her get her own car when she was sober.

Was that the neighbor's car?  How is Dre's car going to get home?

On 10/13/2016 at 6:23 PM, Perfect Xero said:

Black men may well be even more apprehensive about it because of racial issues and prejudice that they face in their lives, but I found it very hard to believe that neither of his male co-workers understood where he was coming from on that one. I mean, I'd have said that they should have gone and found someone to help the kid rather than just leaving her alone in an elevator, but as an adult male I'd have understood not wanting to risk being alone with an upset child that you are not related to. I think it's something that many adult men of all races are apprehensive about.

I work in a school and white male teachers mention that the are very careful to never be in a room alone with a kid. I have never heard a female teacher say this.  When my kids were little the standard advice was that you should tell your child that if they got lost in a store to go find an employee to help them.  Then I read that that they changed the advice to "If you are lost in a store, find a mom with kids to help you," because most pedophiles are men.  All men get suspicious looks if they get too friendly with a kid.

I thought Dre should have held the door open and called for help (either yell for help or make a phone call).  But I can see how he didn't have time to think about it.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, needschocolate said:

Was that the neighbor's car?  How is Dre's car going to get home?

I work in a school and white male teachers mention that the are very careful to never be in a room alone with a kid. I have never heard a female teacher say this.  When my kids were little the standard advice was that you should tell your child that if they got lost in a store to go find an employee to help them.  Then I read that that they changed the advice to "If you are lost in a store, find a mom with kids to help you," because most pedophiles are men.  All men get suspicious looks if they get too friendly with a kid.

I thought Dre should have held the door open and called for help (either yell for help or make a phone call).  But I can see how he didn't have time to think about it.

Yes, Dre said he was driving the neighbor's car right before the police appeared. I think it's a plot hole only so we can have the Johan cop beat down moment. Otherwise Johan could've driven Dre's car home unless he doesn't know how to drive. 

I've been to Disney World many times, I think 6 times in the past 12 years, and I laughed out loud at some of the outdoor wide shots that showed sparse crowds along Main Street USA (which leads to Cinderella's Castle). My husband and I choose the slowest weeks of the year to visit -- there are only about 5 of those now, mostly in January and February) and only then are the parks that "empty". 

• Love 1
On 10/18/2016 at 9:34 PM, kat165 said:

So then why did neighbor lady take her car? Especially since she was so trashed which seemed like her common mo for those meetings.

They are set in Los Angeles

• Love 2

So this is officially on on Wednesday? Damn. My state is airing some stupid Senate Race special(?) from 9pm-10pm. (I promise I'm going to vote! I just don't like my politics interfering with my TV comedies, especially when politics is one reason comedy is so necessary these days!)

• Love 3

This episode was fucking amazing!

Everything from Ruby thinking The Purge was a documentary to Diane's sinister smile at Charlie's fake funeral to Bow thinking calling someone the next Dane Cook was a compliment, every plot, every line, everything was perfect.  

What did Ruby tell Jeanine about a Kenmore in every room?

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Tiger said:

What did Ruby tell Jeanine about a Kenmore in every room?

"The day after the Watts Riots was the most peaceful day of the year! Because The Devil came out, and freshly looted Kenmore's came in!"

• Love 13

Ugh.  I couldn't make it past the opening.  Man-baby Dre and his hostile emotional toddler with a loaded diaper in his attitude and treatment of Junior was small, tired and unfunny so much my remote changed the channel itself.  I don't find childish bullying of your own children to be a comedic point no matter how "silly".  Especially when it is coupled with the ridiculous over written pompous narration of Anthony Anderson in character who has one of the most unfortunate voices to being with.  Glad to see I don't have to worry about "missing" anything every time I can't be bothered to watch and just hit delete most weeks this year.

• Love 11

Dre deserved all the pranks coming to him after what he did to Junior. Ruby had the Benz attack coming after taking out the mailbox. Doctor was right about Dre being a short petty man. 

I think they are overdoing it with Diane.

Best moment: the family costume reveal. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, tenativelyyours said:

Ugh.  I couldn't make it past the opening.  Man-baby Dre and his hostile emotional toddler with a loaded diaper in his attitude and treatment of Junior was small, tired and unfunny so much my remote changed the channel itself. 

Had you actually watched, you would know that most of the episode was an elaborate scheme to give Dre a comeuppance for that behavior.

And it was funny.

• Love 23

I really do think sending a gift box of nuts to the office is a righteous burn. So good.

"I had to pay overtime!" is commitment to a prank.

I thought Charlie's dead makeup was...how do I say this...attractive?

• Love 12

Best episode so far this season! I love their Halloween eps. This was good use of Ruby, who can grate on my nerves. I think I'm a sucker for prank episodes in general though. I always love Brooklyn 9-9's heist episodes.
I liked all the Purge mayhem, Bo recapping her role in the prank, the "this is cashmere!", Charlie unsure if he's really dead or not, Junior getting back at Dre. So, basically I liked everything.

• Love 8

I think they're going too far with Diane. A child smiling at a funeral and knowing what a Molotov cocktail is and how to use it is cause for extreme concern at the very least.

Ruby cracked my shit up though, with the purging. That was the right amount and use of Ruby. And the prank stuff was very well done.

• Love 7

I always love this shows Halloween specials, and this might be my favorite on so far!

Dre really is a petty, short man, especially considering he usually complains about what a wimpy nerd Junior is, and then apparently gets pissed off when he "mans up". He totally deserved the prank he got. 

This episode was very smart in how it tricked me while I was watching. I thought at various times that Dre was pranking Junior, than Junior was just screwing with Dre, or was it real, or what? Then finding out what was actually going on worked perfectly. Loved it. 

I love how Dre apparently got all his co workers in on the prank (except for poor Josh), and I loved that Dre and the 16 chapple (and he mentioned it in his rant to the cop and doctor), I love that Ruby thought the Purge was a documentary, and tried to start a neighborhood purge then got pissed when her stuff got messed up, I just really loved it.

Then the awesome slow motion family costume! 

• Love 2

What s 16 chapple? (chapel?) Im a doofus

I enjoyed this eppy and I generally love Halloween shows anyway. I didn't' love Dre smacking the bowl of chips out of Jr's hands though.  Glad to see the Charlie character. I thought he had left the show, but maybe I am remembering wrong.

Did we see any Pops or did I miss it?

• Love 1