Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3 Discussion

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

On 9/30/2016 at 4:34 PM, Lawgiver said:

TER really did nail the fear of miscarriage. If Bow miscarried, it would have been within reason for her age. She's supposed to be 40ish; a lot of women miscarry at that age. In fact, it would have been very brave of the show to do that, and would have given the characters a way to grapple with belief in a higher power in the face of tragedy.

Being 7 months post-partum, 41, AND wanting one more child, that part really hit me hard. Pregnancy makes you question all sorts of things. The entire cast did well in that scene.

• Love 4

I always forget that Junior's name is Andre. Duh. I've bought many a thrift store suits and purses and it is quite funny what you find in the pockets. Ha!

I'm already over the brother in law. He can go now. I love Ruby's scenes with the individual grandkids. And I love that Ruby's priorities are: God, Idris and Money. In that order. Please let Idris Elba do a cameo.

Jenifer Lewis has a new hilarious video with Brandy and Todrick Hall. Todrick made the unfortunate mistake of calling Brandy a legend in front of Jenifer. "Legend! Who, Brandy? Bish ain't no legend! How you gon be a legend and you five years old? I'm the mf-ing legend!"

Edited by charmed1
  • Love 9
On 10/1/2016 at 7:51 PM, Irlandesa said:

This is a man who, early in the series, implied Bow wasn't "really" black because she was biracial. I don't think the show took his side there and I don't think he took it here. Dre is ridiculous.

Anthony Anderson referred to Tracee Ellis Ross as a "hybrid' on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert (a term that Dre had applied to Bow in the show).  In real life, I don't know if that's a cool thing to call someone who's not there to go along with the "joke."

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
12 hours ago, charmed1 said:

I always forget that Junior's name is Andre. Duh. I've bought many a thrift store suits and purses and it is quite funny what you find in the pockets. Ha!

I'm already over the brother in law. He can go now. I love Ruby's scenes with the individual grandkids. And I love that Ruby's priorities are: God, Idris and Money. In that order. Please let Idris Elba do a cameo.

Jenifer Lewis has a new hilarious video with Brandy and Todrick Hall. Todrick made the unfortunate mistake of calling Brandy a legend in front of Jenifer. "Legend! Who, Brandy? Bishain't no legend! How you gon be a legend and you five years old? I'm the mf-ing legend!"

Did you see the video with Jenifer (One N!) Brandy, and Roz (I forgot the rest of her name?)? It was a song, and it was quite nice.

• Love 1

I loved this episode. My favorite moments were Ruby's horror over the accidental Pat Buchanan vote and Bow's expression after Zoey stated the topic of her essay. Tracee Ellis Ross has the greatest expressions and really should have an Emmy...anyway, I found it all very funny. And although it may have been a little corny, capping it off with part of Michelle Obama's speech really worked for me. She's such a passionate speaker, and this was one of her best moments. I'm going to miss Michelle Obama. (And her husband. And their daughters.)

I'm glad black-ish does what it does and continues to be bold and unapologetic about it. The execution's not perfect, not every joke lands, but it's much more often successful than not. It is not just another (white) family sitcom completely interchangeable with and indistinguishable from other (white) family sitcoms, and thank goodness for that.

I wonder how many times they had to do the bit with Diane catching the button without looking. Her trying to break it in half was another amusing moment. Never change, Diane!

• Love 12
7 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I wonder how many times they had to do the bit with Diane catching the button without looking. 

I didn't replay that, but I wondered if there was some CGI involved, like Forrest Gump playing table tennis. In any case, it was a great bit.

9 hours ago, kat165 said:

What is a Luke Cage Complaint?

Non-black viewers thinking the show is "too black". 

Personally speaking as a non-black for myself and myself only, I thought it was just bad and that it being bad had nothing to do with race.  Frankly, aside from Daredevil season 1 only, Ive been very disappinted with Marvel's Netflix shows.  

Getting back to this show and this episode inparticular, what specifically didnt work for me is the blatant 'whites evil, blacks good' message of the episode.  In seasons 1 and 2, the writing was much more nuanced and frankly more interesting.  But now if your someone who doesnt bow down and worship King Obama, your bad person.  

Its no wonder the ratings are starting to slip noticeably.  

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Getting back to this show and this episode inparticular, what specifically didnt work for me is the blatant 'whites evil, blacks good' message of the episode.  In seasons 1 and 2, the writing was much more nuanced and frankly more interesting.  But now if your someone who doesnt bow down and worship King Obama, your bad person.  

Its no wonder the ratings are starting to slip noticeably.  

I missed this as well.  Dre, Charlie, boss (and son) and Diane are over the top characters.  The rest of the cast are more nuanced, with the exception of Ruby.  Dre and Charlie had a characteristically over the top reaction to the end of Obama's presidency, Bow was like "get over yourself."  This show explores race in present day America, there are going to be many instances where people are uncomfortable.  For what it's worth, I'm a fifty year old white woman and have never felt the message oh the show is "whites evil, blacks good."

• Love 15
On 10/6/2016 at 6:08 PM, CaptainCranky said:

God this show sucked. I watch this for the comedy, not some political statement. 

But that's what the show has been about from the beginning. The title alone suggests that race and other important social issues are going to be at the forefront. I think season 1 was a bit softer on social issues because the show was finding its footing, and now that it's firmly entrenched and acclaimed, they seem to feel freer focusing even more on topics people find uncomfortable. And why not? It's a comedy so people have the benefit of laughing while they are being faced with serious issues. You get a good history lesson, a chance to examine your own thoughts about race, and some great one-liners.

Through this entire episode I was nodding along, agreeing with most of what was said, and I kept thinking to myself, "My God, people are going to really, really love or hate this episode." And I think it was fairly balanced with the Ruby plotline, blindly voting Democrat. I think that was a bone thrown to more conservative viewers.

Dre's boss was way over the top. They dialed it up to 10 with him.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 15

Thank you, Tiger.  I did google this expression last night and didn't really get anywhere. Saw that Luke Cage is some sort of comic character, and I'm not into superheroes, so I was just baffled.

I actually thought Luke Cage was Nic Cage's son who I've seen pics of so maybe, I was thinking, he's racist? I don't really get the connection between something being too black and a superhero. Is it cause most superheroes seem to be white?

This ep was just ok. I feel kind of like Dre with Obama leaving office. Especially since the candidates up now make me want to flee the country (and I would if I had $$$).I did like all the junior stuff and the kids and of course Pops. I loathe Ruby generally and this is the first ep I kind of enjoyed her. The kitten heels. Funny. I watch for Bow and kids and Pops. I don't like Dre or Ruby. At all. Both are way too over the top.

I'm with Ruby on Idris though. He's a mighty fine man. Shoop, shoop.

"The Luke Cage Complaint" is a tongue-in-cheek expression I created just to post here. It has no official meaning. It is in reference to this (a topic which has been covered by many entertainment shows and websites since the new Luke Cage series premiered about a week ago):

http://www.oxygen.com/very-real/luke-cage-is-unapologetically-black-and-white-people-are-seeing-red-about-it

The relevance to Black-ish is that similar complaints seem to popping up here. Sorry for causing confusion.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, EarlGreyTea said:

But that's what the show has been about from the beginning. The title alone suggests that race and other important social issues are going to be at the forefront.

I'm fine with the social issues and it's one of the reasons I watch the show but for me the politics of this episode turned me off.

I guess if it had aired other than the current dumbass political cycle we are in now I could have found the humor but I loathe, despise and abhor all the crap Americans are being subjected to now.

Edited by CaptainCranky
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, kat165 said:

Thank you, Tiger.  I did google this expression last night and didn't really get anywhere. Saw that Luke Cage is some sort of comic character, and I'm not into superheroes, so I was just baffled.

I actually thought Luke Cage was Nic Cage's son who I've seen pics of so maybe, I was thinking, he's racist? I don't really get the connection between something being too black and a superhero. Is it cause most superheroes seem to be white?

This is wildly off-topic, but the actor Nicolas Cage actually changed whatever his real name is to "Nicolas Cage" for the comic characters "Nicholas Fury" and "Luke Cage".  And his son's actual name is "Kal-El" which is "Clark Kent"'s non-human/real name.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, NYCFree said:

I missed this as well.  Dre, Charlie, boss (and son) and Diane are over the top characters.  The rest of the cast are more nuanced, with the exception of Ruby.  Dre and Charlie had a characteristically over the top reaction to the end of Obama's presidency, Bow was like "get over yourself."  This show explores race in present day America, there are going to be many instances where people are uncomfortable.  For what it's worth, I'm a fifty year old white woman and have never felt the message oh the show is "whites evil, blacks good."

Dialing Stevens up to 20 as an alt-right harborer of a murderer totally undermined how clearly nuanced the character has been written previously.  Theyve always taken Stevens right up to the line in the past, but this time they jumped past the line and then moved a football field past it.  

And Bow actively encouraging Zoe, who had previouely been portrayed as smart, to use white guilt to get into college was a betrayal of Bow's previous characterization and made it clear where the writers stand.  

The bottomline is that the writing use to be more clever, nuanced, balanced, and frankly more interesting.  

• Love 3

Part of the plot for this episode was almost identical to the plot of the Modern Family episode right before it:  the kid wants to run for Student Council President, the parents think he can't win unless he changes his personality, the kid realizes that he has to be true to himself. 

It was very strange watching the episodes back to back, although I seem to remember this same issue coming up in a previous season.  Does anyone else remember this?

I would agree that Stevens was too crudely portrayed in this episode.  For him to be so blatantly extreme takes the fun out of it.

Edited by mikem
35 minutes ago, mikem said:

Part of the plot for this episode was almost identical to the plot of the Modern Family episode right before it:  the kid wants to run for Student Council President, the parents think he can't win unless he changes his personality, the kid realizes that he has to be true to himself. 

I wonder if the network is handing out writing theme week assignments. I am going to start looking for this kind of duplication, now, as I watch the line up.

• Love 1

Thank you, Joi. Interesting article. Am not familiar at all with Luke Cage. Nice to see a black superhero for a change.

Thanks, Tiger, interesting trivia. Hehe, the more you know. :)

And yeah, Stevens was more heinous than usual. Not funny at all. His son wasn't funny either. I hope the son doesn't return & we get back the other idiot white guy. Which reminds me, so glad not to see Wanda Sykes this season (so far). Her character just didn't work/served no purpose. Nothing against the actress.

Edited by kat165
choppy paragraph what the hell
  • Love 2
On 9/28/2016 at 9:29 AM, Mrs OldManBalls said:

You can't go backwards in lifestyle. My kids cried when we stayed at Pop Century after having stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

We are a Disney family( just got back three days before this aired), and loved the heck out of this even though it was an infomercial. We had a great time pointing out little things like Ruby, Earl and Bow saying they were heading to Epcot, but the next scene there were clearly in the Animal Kingdom, or when they were standing next to an outdoor staircase with a Soarin' sign, but the ride is an indoor one with no stairway access...., but mostly it was fun knowing exactly where they were in the parks/lines/rides. I'm ready to go back! 

This is what I came here to mention.  Also, as soon as they got off Soarin' the scene was Magic Kingdom, not Epcot. 

• Love 1

The "accidentally voted for Pat Buchanan" joke was so great because that was a real issue in the 2000 election. His share of the vote was disproportionately large in Florida because the layout of the ballot was confusing and led to a lot of people accidentally voting for him. But the funniest part of that to me was that there was a significant number of people who'd realized they accidentally voted for him, requested a replacement ballot, and then accidentally voted for him a second time.

What was the magazine that Pops got that Johan was so excited about? It was Black Something, but I couldn't make out the second word either time they said it.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

What was the magazine that Pops got that Johan was so excited about? It was Black Something, but I couldn't make out the second word either time they said it.

I don't remember exactly, but it was something like "Black Braids."  It was clearly about women's braided hairstyles.

5 hours ago, fishcakes said:

The "accidentally voted for Pat Buchanan" joke was so great because that was a real issue in the 2000 election. His share of the vote was disproportionately large in Florida because the layout of the ballot was confusing and led to a lot of people accidentally voting for him. But the funniest part of that to me was that there was a significant number of people who'd realized they accidentally voted for him, requested a replacement ballot, and then accidentally voted for him a second time.

IIRC, it was in one county in south Florida, and the Supervisor of Elections later was a huge Gore supporter.  

Either way, I was in high school and my American History teacher got a copy of the ballot and administered it; we were all confused as to why/how people were so confused as the ballot was laid out quite clearly.  

To bring it back to this show, I get that it was done for comedic effect and specifically so Jenifer could show off her prowess for physical comedy, but when did any precint ever use a giany lever to cast a vote?!?

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, Tiger said:

To bring it back to this show, I get that it was done for comedic effect and specifically so Jenifer could show off her prowess for physical comedy, but when did any precint ever use a giany lever to cast a vote?!?

I know the old fashioned voting booths had those giant levers that opened and closed the curtains (and cleared the votes), but they weren't the actual voting levers.  Those were the tiny little levers.

I miss those booths.  The current voting with the scan sheets in my district just don't have the same gravitas somehow as those old booths.

• Love 3

And yeah, Stevens was more heinous than usual.

This is becoming my biggest gripe with the show. It's definitely over the top in many ways, but ultimately, most of what the say and do is something that I actually see happening. And I have no doubt people like Stevens exist, but this week his racism/classism was just so blatent that it took me away from the rhythm of the show. I used to relish the work scenes, but lately they seem like a separate sitcom about a bunch of wacky stereotypes, which isn't what this show is about at all.

• Love 5
On 10/7/2016 at 10:44 AM, attica said:

As a white lady who continues to tear up over hammy Obamas slide shows, Dre & Charlie, I'm with you.

Just do not post a montage video on youtube with the background track being "I'll make love to you", because it might get weird with Sasha and Malia (and that's the only reason it would be weird).

• Love 4

I really loved this episode. I guess I didn't really pay attention to all the Trump vs. Hilary stuff. Junior in that outfit and then playing the song that turned into that owl city song had me laughing my ass off. Ruby and her kitten heels was hilarious. I loved Dre's Obama montage. My favorite thing though was Murder Flowers. 

• Love 3
On 10/1/2016 at 6:51 PM, Irlandesa said:

This is a man who, early in the series, implied Bow wasn't "really" black because she was biracial. I don't think the show took his side there and I don't think he took it here. Dre is ridiculous.

I think a lot of upset over this series would be calmed if people (including myself) would remember this.

• Love 1

After Junior embarrasses Dre during a basketball game, Dre decides to remind Junior of his master pranking skills so he’ll never challenge him again. Meanwhile, the neighborhood participates in a “mischief night” during Halloween where petty crimes become legal, and Ruby takes it too far with the kids.

For once I did not disagree with Dre. When I saw that little girl in the elevator I said "don't get in there!" It would have only ended badly. the same way taking how the drunk neighbor did. I laughed so hard when he jumped out of the car and ran. Also, I always bring my ID when I leave the house.

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, TiffanyNichelle said:

For once I did not disagree with Dre. When I saw that little girl in the elevator I said "don't get in there!" It would have only ended badly.

I think this part was not at all racial. It was about being an adult male alone with a child. That situation triggers suspicion whether or not it's justified. Race wouldn't come into play. The passed out white woman in the car at the end on the other hand...

• Love 12

I laughed so hard at the scene with lady in the elevator. Last week I was in line in front of a woman who stepped away and left her purse and cart between me and an older black man. When she stepped back, the man did the absolute most - including a two minute monologue about his grandma's purse - to let her know he hadn't touched her stuff, not that she asked.

• Love 4

I screamed at Junior leaving Johan. Marcus Scribner is a gift.

I also lost it at Dre, Johan & Junior jamming to Third Eye Blind.

Dre envisioning his potential interactions with the cops was great & all too real.

Rainbow being pissed off at the end of Driving Miss Daisy was hilarious.

Nice callback with Rainbow checking up on the Johnson's 'hood' cousins Cha Cha, Dante and Diamond.

Earl getting Rainbow to ignore the kids so he could eat their dinner was terrible. He & Ruby are two peas in a pod.

Hi Curtis!

Daveed Diggs continues to be a delight.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 5

I was totally on Andre's side about that baby in that elevator.  

They call me They Call Me Johan.   LOL.  And his reaction to Junior's poetry.   I sort of love Johan.

The comments about the cousins were pretty funny. 

And I was just a little bit worried for Andre in the car so his scenarios were really funny to me.  

This wasn't my favorite episode but it was a solid effort.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, TiffanyNichelle said:

I always bring my ID when I leave the house.

My mom once told me to always have ID on me "in case the police or hospital need to ID the body." Morbid but true. It's been years since she said that to me and I still always have ID on me when I leave the house.

Dre, Junior, and Johan singing Third Eye Blind was hilarious.

At first I thought Johan was going to explain his ripped shirt by saying that he tripped and got his shirt caught on a fence or something harmless since he was so intent on telling Dre that he was worrying too much. Loved Johan's reaction to Junior's attempt at poetry.

• Love 5

Earl told Bow that he was going to give her three tips from his pimp game; keep the kids waiting, and make them jealous.  What was the third thing?

Maybe this was a variation of the old "There are two important things.  Number one, never tell people everything you know."

• Love 8

When they have to ID my body, I'm pretty sure I won't care whether they do it or not, or how easy or difficult it is for them.

How did that little girl get into the elevator in the first place? At first, when Dre's boss and the other guy were watching his encounter with her on the screen in the office, I thought it was some kind of company test for the employees, actually.

• Love 3

This was the best episode of the season so far. Dre walking backwards from the elevator made me laugh so hard I had to rewatch it. The car-dancing and dabbing was really fun. I'm biased in that I love Daveed Diggs, so the more of him the better. I like him and Junior together.
Pops and Bow are a good combo they don't do much. They work well together.

• Love 6

I agree this was the best ep of the season so far.

The little girl in the elevator, great opening scene especially after the whole spiel about our communities coming together and helping each other.  The minute I saw that little girl standing there all alone I knew!   And to make things worse, she was so damned cute and little, just standing there with her big eyes and wobbly chin.  The natural instinct is to protect and help but damn it, I  totally understood Dre at that moment.

Glad Josh is back.  Please no more of Steven's murderous sons.  I loved Dre's imaginary funeral when Charlie is like 'Too soon?" while giving Bow the look.  And then Josh is "I'm right behind you." 

And I love I when Bow and Pops get a subplot.  They were fun and Bow was totally rocking the doorknocker earrings.  I had that exact same pair in the 80s. 

Of course Junior goes to every HOA meeting.  Man, I just love this kid.  He is a treasure. 

And finally, enjoying the running gag with Johan and his preoccupation with hair.  First with Zoey, then bonding with pop over the braids magazine and this ep with Junior.

• Love 14
14 hours ago, docmatt said:

I think this part was not at all racial. It was about being an adult male alone with a child. That situation triggers suspicion whether or not it's justified.

Oh, I think it was about race. If that had been a little black girl, no one would think twice about Dre being with her; it would be assumed he was her dad. White man with a black child? Would likely get a double-take, but if the white guy looks as solidly middle-class as Dre looks, the assumptions would probably be adoptive dad, babysitting, or helping a lost child.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 17

I agree with everyone saying this was the best ep so far. I laughed so hard at Dre leaving the girl in the elevator. I get what Dre said but I would’ve helped the kid out. From my own personal experience working in retail in high school and college, it’s natural instinct. There was so many times parents were not paying attention to their child, I had to save toddlers from getting on an escalator, elevator or walking out the store by themselves.

I thought it was stupid of Johan to tell Dre don’t worry about his wallet and leave his house without ID. You always leave the house with your ID. When Dre said, he blamed himself, I agreed. I would’ve driven the drunk neighbor home in my car and let her get her own car when she was sober.

The different scenarios were hilarious especially the funeral where Charlie and Josh were plotting when to hit on Bow. Probably shouldn't but I laughed at Johan at the end. He's not a character I've warmed up to.

• Love 3

The only thing that felt like a false note in this episode was the show trying to soft peddle Johan's interactions with the cops.

If you're going to give a character a sobering change of heart (even a mild one) about an issue you need to commit to it, show!

Edited by Dee
  • Love 5

My husband and I howled at Dre backing away from the little white girl in the elevator.  He made the right choice.  Hell, my male best friend's 6 year-old daughter looks just like him (just super light-skinned to his deep brown), and he gets looks all the time when they're out together--and sometimes comments too.

The dabbing, the Third Eye Blind, Bow & Pops…laughed all through the episode.  Though Johan realizing how he sounded while he performed based on Junior's spoken word may have been one of the best moments of the episode.

• Love 9