Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3 Discussion

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

In my experience, atheism is a no-go in the black community.

So they could have addressed that without suggesting that it's a fundamental racial difference between Black people and White people. I know this show deals in broadly drawn premises but that notion is absurd, IMO. For example, White evangelicals wield a lot of political power, especially in certain parts of the country. No GOP candidate can hope to get near the White House without courting their vote.

Other than Ruby, Dre's family doesn't appear to be particularly religious except in a relatively superficial way. That's probably the root of Zoey's disenchantment instead of her having been too exposed to "White people stuff." IMO Black-ish stumbled on this one.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, LJonEarth said:

I think some of us are annoyed by just this. The exclamation was just an exclamation. But the setup, placement, and reaction to it made it seem like they were going for exactly what you're saying. However, there are plenty of people who are cold. The world assumes they're just luke warm and seconds (an emergency) away from being hot again. I just thought it would be interesting for her to really not believe.

By the way, thanks for the podcast tip!

In my experience, atheism is a no-go in the black community. I know no one personally who admits to not believing and have only recently heard a few black people on some of the podcasts I listen to say they are non-believers. And they mention experiences similar to Zoe's with their friends and families. Thinking about the mission of this show, I expected this episode at some point in the run.

I think you will love the podcast. Very honest and funny but smart conversations throughout coming from the movies they watch.

I would have had no problem with any way they went with the Zoe plotline. What I liked and cared about most was actually how it was structured. It wasn't nearly 20 minutes of Dre trying to change Zoe's mind and a couple of minutes Dre coming to his senses. He had his overreaction in more or less the first act. Talked it through with Bow (where they also thankfully had a scene where we get to see them just be married and enjoy being around each other) and then the plot line ended organically. It's not just cut and dry that Zoe has denounced religion. It's a little bit more complicated than that and that this is okay.

On the religion white/black issue. This is something I think many people don't get or ignore. Like with homophobia. The way homophobia runs through black communities is way different than it is in other communities. It's more broad, more open, more blatant in a lot of cases. I say this because I live in it. Of course, there are white people that are just as openly homophobic but it's more about the volume. Going to religion, yes white people and black people are religious. Yes there are black and white people that are super religious. But, part of this show is speaking on what they know. For me, and maybe for the writers, I see religion being stressed in a way I never see with white people personally. Which could color how you think different races handle religion as a whole. I get constantly called out for not being "religious enough" from black people. Never from white people. Of course, there can many reasons for this. But, again it's writing about what you see and know. So, I had nothing against how religion was written in this episode. Nothing at all.

• Love 7

speaking on what they know.

I think it's more like speaking on what they assume from a  relatively narrow perspective. Not being demonstrably, publicly religious or not spending a lot of time in church every week does not equal atheist. And I'm not sure getting into a "holier than thou" contest against an entire race is a winning move for anybody. Again,  I think the belief or non-belief issue could better have been addressed without making it a racial one too.

Agreeing to disagree.

• Love 3

I was rolling my eyes at the ending montage of the various prayers babbling and melting into each other, but when the camera landed on Johan silently and contentedly contemplating a lovely glass of wine, I smiled. Well done.

I don't think the show presented its polemic all that well, from either side. 'We're oppressed, we need god'; 'People get cancer, no fair'; 'babies=miracle, yay!' are not exactly going to light up the Plato Society's Debate Night. I'm not suggesting a god/no god argument has to be particularly erudite, either. (My own really boiled down to Occam's Razor, so: not very brainy. But it did happen after a couple of years at a Catholic university with a mandated 12-credit minimum of religious studies, so hey, way to backfire, there, Fratres Scholarum Christianum.) Just not dippy. 

They are 0-2 for me this season. First with the Disney commercial and now with the "black people are so religious because of oppression" leaving out the part about slave owners pushing a mutated version of Christianity heavy on submission and knowing your place in order to make sure these slaves didn't burn it all down rather than submit to the dehumanization. Then they laced that weird history lesson with "white people be entitled and have no faith because they don't need heaven later when they have no struggle here." discounting that 98% of the ultra right wing are white Christians. I know it's just a 22 minute story, but maybe the writers should take that into consideration when choosing material.

Edited by red12
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, Racj82 said:

I think you will love the podcast. Very honest and funny but smart conversations throughout coming from the movies they watch.

I would have had no problem with any way they went with the Zoe plotline. What I liked and cared about most was actually how it was structured. It wasn't nearly 20 minutes of Dre trying to change Zoe's mind and a couple of minutes Dre coming to his senses. He had his overreaction in more or less the first act. Talked it through with Bow (where they also thankfully had a scene where we get to see them just be married and enjoy being around each other) and then the plot line ended organically. It's not just cut and dry that Zoe has denounced religion. It's a little bit more complicated than that and that this is okay.

On the religion white/black issue. This is something I think many people don't get or ignore. Like with homophobia. The way homophobia runs through black communities is way different than it is in other communities. It's more broad, more open, more blatant in a lot of cases. I say this because I live in it. Of course, there are white people that are just as openly homophobic but it's more about the volume. Going to religion, yes white people and black people are religious. Yes there are black and white people that are super religious. But, part of this show is speaking on what they know. For me, and maybe for the writers, I see religion being stressed in a way I never see with white people personally. Which could color how you think different races handle religion as a whole. I get constantly called out for not being "religious enough" from black people. Never from white people. Of course, there can many reasons for this. But, again it's writing about what you see and know. So, I had nothing against how religion was written in this episode. Nothing at all.

You must not live in the South. Southern white people are plenty vocal and condemning of people deemed not to love Jesus enough. "Where do you go to church?" is almost as popular as "What do you do?" in conversations here. The high numbers of people from other regions moving here as a result of corporate relocation is helping though. I guess the extremely favorable corporate tax breaks have some upside.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, red12 said:

They are 0-2 for me this season. First with the Disney commercial and now with the "black people are so religious because of oppression" leaving out the part about slave owners pushing a mutated version of Christianity heavy on submission and knowing your place in order to make sure these slaves didn't burn it all down rather than submit to the dehumanization. Then they laced that weird history lesson with "white people be entitled and have no faith because they don't need heaven later when they have no struggle here." discounting that 98% of the ultra right wing are white Christians. I know it's just a 22 minute story, but maybe the writers should take that into consideration when choosing material.

I get what you're saying, but try telling about 95% of my family that.  I mean, I've tried, but it's not an argument they want to hear or would be swayed by, the more they suffer, they more they cling to religion.  Growing up, we sometimes didn't have two nickels to rub together, but she would still find money to send to  the folks at TBN.  It would drive me insane!  At eight, I told her the whole thing was ridiculous and brought up the connection to slavery and it being used to oppress and have people clinging to false hope, my reward was a slap across my face!  Needless to say, I did not bring it up again.   For some folks, there's no questioning anything.  

• Love 10
1 hour ago, red12 said:

You must not live in the South. Southern white people are plenty vocal and condemning of people deemed not to love Jesus enough. "Where do you go to church?" is almost as popular as "What do you do?" in conversations here. The high numbers of people from other regions moving here as a result of corporate relocation is helping though. I guess the extremely favorable corporate tax breaks have some upside.

Revert back to people writing about what they know and also of course there are white people and other races that basically zealots. 

On 9/28/2016 at 7:14 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I did laugh during this episode though. Despite Dre's antics, Anthony Anderson always makes me laugh. As does Jennifer Lewis. I really loved that slo-mo walk of Dre and Ruby. Very...Burn Noticeish.

Of course the slo-mo walk has been used in lots of movies like The Right Stuff and Reservoir Dogs, but I immediately went to Kill Bill, the scene where Lucy Liu and her entourage are walking. I believe the music was the same too.

But I completely agree about Jenifer Lewis. I know she's mean to Bo, but the actress is just an expert comedic actress. She's perfect. There was one scene where she was stuttering to Dre that cracked me up. I just think she's hilarious.

As far as the OBGYN scene, gosh. My eyes were welling up. I didn't know what was going to happen. Very well done.

20 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

"You got this Dre. Ain't no Brown Skittles" - Fantastic

ITA. Amazing that after this show was in the can, the Trump Jr thing about Skittles and refugees came out. I think Trevor Noah did a joke about no brown Skittles, too.

• Love 3

TER really did nail the fear of miscarriage. If Bow miscarried, it would have been within reason for her age. She's supposed to be 40ish; a lot of women miscarry at that age. In fact, it would have been very brave of the show to do that, and would have given the characters a way to grapple with belief in a higher power in the face of tragedy.

• Love 8
On 9/29/2016 at 0:38 PM, Arcadiasw said:

Not sure why Dre is so up in arms at Zoey questioning faith. The family hardly goes to church and they're not religious at home.

I thought it was silly of Dre to think being athiest is a white thing and tied that to the healthy food in the house.

On 9/29/2016 at 1:18 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

The whole Black = religious, White = atheist didn't work for me as a funny concept. The stereotype is too broad, IMO.

It was like they forgot, or since it is episodic don't care if we remember Churched from season 2.

• Love 2

The only thing I cared about in this episode was the closing scene.  It was so well done and frightening that Bow might have lost the baby.  That said, this is supposed to be a sitcom and if they keep these heavy handed plots, I really may have to tune out, there are some shows I watch because I want to laugh.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, roseslg said:

I get what you're saying, but try telling about 95% of my family that.  I mean, I've tried, but it's not an argument they want to hear or would be swayed by, the more they suffer, they more they cling to religion.  Growing up, we sometimes didn't have two nickels to rub together, but she would still find money to send to  the folks at TBN.  It would drive me insane!  At eight, I told her the whole thing was ridiculous and brought up the connection to slavery and it being used to oppress and have people clinging to false hope, my reward was a slap across my face!  Needless to say, I did not bring it up again.   For some folks, there's no questioning anything.  

Oh, I understand. Growing up watching my mom be manipulated by church and killing herself to keep up with church volunteer work plus too jobs did not make me a fan of organized religion. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, red12 said:

Oh, I understand. Growing up watching my mom be manipulated by church and killing herself to keep up with church volunteer work plus too jobs did not make me a fan of organized religion. 

I didn't really deal with this growing up. I feel like we had just the right amount of church in my childhood, for the most part. Sundays and some Wednesdays. However, my mom recently retired, and now she spends at least 25 hours a week at her church. She has begun treating it like a high school. It's all about cliques and fitting in, and when I go to visit, she feels this odd desire to show me off to her church friends. If it was like that when I was growing up, I would NOT have been cool with church. I do not need any more high school years. 

• Love 4

I would have been ok with Bow losing the foetus. It makes me sound like an asshole, but when that scene prolonged for what seemed like ages I was actually not against the thought. I can't stand pregnancy/baby storylines. Boo-ring.

• Love 6

Why was her stomach so goddamn flat?  How far along is she? I mean, my ob just stuck the wand up there the  last time i was there and she wasnt hearing anything.  I guess that wouldnt make for dramatic televison.

I didn't mind Dre associating atheism with whiteness and blackness with religion.  Sure, it's a ridiculous conclusion but Dre isn't immune to that kind of over-the-top racial panic whenever he feels that something his family has adopted takes them further away from their "blackness.'  This is a man who, early in the series, implied Bow wasn't "really" black because she was biracial. I don't think the show took his side there and I don't think he took it here. Dre is ridiculous.

The only time I care is when he does "history lessons" as he did about why slaves embraced religion.  I too thought that religion was imposed by slave owners but when I looked it up, it appears more complicated than that.  For a while slave owners didn't want their slaves learning Christianity but they were being exposed to it through other means.  Then, when evangelicals took a "pro-slave" POV, religion became a good idea for slaves in their minds.  Still, slave preachers held "secret" prayer meetings that preached that religion was a path to freedom as opposed to the slave owner's pracher who taught a very different message.  So Dre's lesson wasn't complete but it wasn't necessarily wrong either about what Christianity represented to some slaves who embraced it.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 5
On 9/29/2016 at 5:11 PM, tomsmom said:

Ruby: Take her black Jesus! Take her now! 

Dre: Don't ask Jesus to kill my daughter, we can make her believe!

Ruby: I was talking about Rainbow!

Dre: Oh.

STILL laughing about that.

Im not getting all the Ruby hate, specifically because while Ruby says stuff like the above to Bow a lot, there is not an ounce of malice.  I think that Ruby, at least the way Jenifer plays, loves ribbing on Bow but none of it is serious or malicious.  

• Love 3
On 9/30/2016 at 4:18 PM, peeayebee said:

But I completely agree about Jenifer Lewis. I know she's mean to Bo, but the actress is just an expert comedic actress. She's perfect. There was one scene where she was stuttering to Dre that cracked me up. I just think she's hilarious.

I still dont understand how Jenifer wasnt even nominated for the Emmy for Best Supporting Actress.  She kills every line, every facial expression, everything.

• Love 9
22 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I'm not getting all the Ruby hate

For me it is that she looks, talks, and acts exactly like my stepmother. She treats Rainbow in the "funny" ways that my stepmother treats me seriously... so it's personal. If they cast a different actress, or my dad married a different woman, I'm sure Ruby would be okay with me. Pops is the best though. 

On 9/30/2016 at 10:02 AM, red12 said:

I'm a Southerner living in the buckle of the Bible belt, and now that I think about it, I haven't gotten this in about a decade. Of course, people have ways of sussing out this information without directly asking now, but it never comes up in conversation. 

I'm surprised by the Ruby dislike too. I do think her character is best used sparingly. She could easily get the Steve Urkel treatment of ratcheting up her characterization and having her on too much.

Edited by LJonEarth
21 hours ago, LJonEarth said:

I'm surprised by the Ruby dislike too. I do think her character is best used sparingly. She could easily get the Steve Urkel treatment of ratcheting up her characterization and having her on too much.

I laughed at this because my grandfather fucking loathed Steve Urkel. My brother and I loved Family Matters and would watch it at my grandparents' house if we happened to be there when it was time for it, and he would allow it but he hated that character. "Barging in breaking people's stuff." Hee. I miss you, Grandpop!

I think the balance of the in-laws is a little off. I don't think there's enough Pops, particularly since he actually lives on the property, and I think there's a bit too much Ruby. I don't think they've expressly said that Ruby lives with them, so I feel like she's just there too much. Jenifer Lewis is a riot but so is Laurence Fishburne, and I think they balance each other out. Pops is funny in a more laid-back sort of way. Ruby is prone to histrionics.

I didn't really deal with this growing up. I feel like we had just the right amount of church in my childhood, for the most part. Sundays and some Wednesdays. However, my mom recently retired, and now she spends at least 25 hours a week at her church. She has begun treating it like a high school. It's all about cliques and fitting in, and when I go to visit, she feels this odd desire to show me off to her church friends. If it was like that when I was growing up, I would NOT have been cool with church. I do not need any more high school years. 

Church was at the center of my grandmother's social life. She was a Baptist. She was in the choir, on a bunch of women's committees, went to Bible study, "helped out in the office" ... she was always at church. Sundays, it was a given that she'd be there all day. Wednesdays were Bible study. Choir rehearsal was two nights a week. Various committee meetings. And on and on and on. And we would go to special events with her and she would show us off, but she did that everywhere. It wasn't quite like high school but church ladies like to gossip so there was always good dirt. My grandmother would do voices when she told stories - she did a great imitation of her pastor.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 1
On 9/29/2016 at 5:11 PM, tomsmom said:

Ruby: Take her black Jesus! Take her now! 

Dre: Don't ask Jesus to kill my daughter, we can make her believe!

Ruby: I was talking about Rainbow!

Dre: Oh.

STILL laughing about that.

I'm also still laughing about that Take Her Now! scene.  It was my favorite of the night. Jenifer Lewis nails it every time. 

On 10/1/2016 at 9:33 PM, Tiger said:

Im not getting all the Ruby hate, specifically because while Ruby says stuff like the above to Bow a lot, there is not an ounce of malice.  I think that Ruby, at least the way Jenifer plays, loves ribbing on Bow but none of it is serious or malicious.  

Nevermind the haters.  Ruby has plenty of admirers as well.   Diane too.  I love them both.  Make no mistake though.  Ruby has plenty of malice for Bow, and it's way more than an ounce.  That's why it's so funny (although I do like Bow).

Edited by LydiaMoon1
  • Love 4
On 10/1/2016 at 6:51 PM, Irlandesa said:

I didn't mind Dre associating atheism with whiteness and blackness with religion.  Sure, it's a ridiculous conclusion but Dre isn't immune to that kind of over-the-topc racial panic whenever he feels that something his family has adopted takes them further away from their "blackness.'  This is a man who, early in the series, implied Bow wasn't "really" black because she was biracial. I don't think the show took his side there and I don't think he took it here. Dre is ridiculous.

The only time I care is when he does "history lessons" as he did about why slaves embraced religion.  I too thought that religion was imposed by slave owners but when I looked it up, it appears more complicated than that.  For a while slave owners didn't want their slaves learning Christianity but they were being exposed to it through other means.  Then, when evangelicals took a "pro-slave" POV, religion became a good idea for slaves in their minds.  Still, slave preachers held "secret" prayer meetings that preached that religion was a path to freedom as opposed to the slave owner's pracher who taught a very different message.  So Dre's lesson wasn't complete but it wasn't necessarily wrong either about what Christianity represented to some slaves who embraced it.

After thinking about it more, I can say a big reason the history lesson bugged me is because I have read and heard Anthony Anderson confirm that the majority of the Blackish audience is white and that is part of the reason they even include those lessons. So, if you as a writing staff are going to take on the job of being Cliff Notes for the struggle (being sarcastic), then I need a bit more accuracy. There is also the other option which they have taken many times of writing about a less complicated subject. This one wasn't just simplified for a sitcom, it was just wrong for both the black and white sides of the issue. 

• Love 1

After a situation arises at work, Dre’s views are confronted regarding how black people are perceived now versus when he grew up. He wants to be more open-minded about being a part of his community, and his first step is joining his Homeowners’ Association. Meanwhile, Bow wants to spend more time with the kids before the new baby arrives and gets advice from Pops on how to make them want to be around her.

Absolutely loved this episode but can tell it's going to be polarizing as all hell. Loved Pops and Johan deciding to vote after seeing Michelle's speech. That speech was one for the ages. The show is so unapologetically about POC issues, I love it.

Ruby WOULD side with Trump. Guffawed so loudly at her voting for Pat Buchanan.

I was happy to see Daveed Diggs again. Is he going to be a regular cast member? He adds a nice touch to the show.

• Love 18

I HATED this except for the Ruby & Diane scenes, but I give credit there to the actresses and not the writers.

Bow's brother is so fucking obnoxious.  And he needs to get his feet off the damn furniture.  

• Love 3

I loved it.  Made me uncomfortable but made me laugh.  Some observations were spot on.  I thought there was some real sharp commentary here.  Dre's over the top act was for once perfect. 

And of course Ruby is Donald Trump.  She really, really is.

And of course Johan is a Bernie Bro. 

Junior just keep on Junior-ing on.  You do you, bro. From the elf/Klingon ears to the Hilary suit, this was a strong ep for him.

• Love 17

I hated this except for the political quiz because I've had that exact conversation with my grandma. I hated it mostly in a "not in front of the company" sort of the way, but also in a "please, not another very special episode" kind of way. The Hillary suit was funny. Other than that, it rubbed me the wrong way.

I was really annoyed by the army scores joke they kept making. I have family in the army. I have major issues with the military, but who was the butt of that joke supposed to be other than people in the army are only there because they weren't smart enough for college?

Edited by LJonEarth
  • Love 6

I love Daveed Diggs so I am glad he is on for multiple episodes. I would hang out on the couch with Daveed Diggs anytime.

I did not love or hate this episode. I guess I was pretty indifferent to it. So far I have been pretty indifferent to the first three episodes of this season. It was good to see Pops again, since I prefer him over Ruby.

I always got the impression Zoey was pretty smart. A bit self involved teenager, but smart, so I was surprised at what her initial college essay topic was.

• Love 1

I loved the callbacks in this episode.

Rainbow's Samoan heritage, Dre's love of slideshows, Rick Fox possibly being Zoey's father, Diane being a potential evil mastermind, Zoey's obsession with instagram. Just really good stuff.

Also? Ruby voting for Pat Buchanan because she accidentally tripped over her kitten heels was genius.

Thankfully Johan was dialed way down this episode & Daveed still shined. Johan, Jack and Pops were golden together.

Tracee looked gorgeous. Whatever black-ish's hair and wardrobe department is doing, they need to keep it up!

• Love 11
10 hours ago, EarlGreyTea said:

Absolutely loved this episode but can tell it's going to be polarizing as all hell. Loved Pops and Johan deciding to vote after seeing Michelle's speech. That speech was one for the ages. The show is so unapologetically about POC issues, I love it.

Ruby WOULD side with Trump. Guffawed so loudly at her voting for Pat Buchanan.

I was happy to see Daveed Diggs again. Is he going to be a regular cast member? He adds a nice touch to the show.

I read that he'll be on for at least six episodes. I loved his comment to Bow about how they were raised, and him and Pops and Jack were great.

I loved this one! Of course Ruby is a Trump supporter - this was a good use of Ruby. The red pants suit had me rolling. "It's birth control, sweetheart."

• Love 9

I loved it! I'm a Junior fan so any Junior-centric episode is good. I thought Zoe was supposed to be smart too, didn't she visit an Ivy League school last year? Anyway, her essay at the end cracked me up.
I thought they made good use of Johan. I know people like him.
Feeling Dre on the Obamas leaving office. I might have to make my own slideshow. Except mine will be to "One Last Time" from Hamilton. Go sit under your own vine and fig tree, Mr. Obama. You've earned it.

Edited by ChromaKelly
  • Love 13

I think this episode was more than a bit heavy-handed but it was also a vast improvement on last week. The writers seem to have put a lot more thought into it.

Did we know before now that Dre's boss was quite extreme like that? I always saw him as a little dense due to his privileged upbringing and status but I hadn't pegged him as, well, someone Ruby might get along with. Yikes.

I see from Twitter and Facebook that a lot of people didn't get this at all.

Is it what I am now calling The Luke Cage Complaint?

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Is it what I am now calling The Luke Cage Complaint?

I'm not sure which Luke Cage Complaint you mean because there are a few.

The three are:

1) the army grades jokes - which annoyed me too

2) can you please stop talking about race (first season was better) - which is hilarious because, BLACK-ish and, huh?

3) but the third is some mixture of white people have nothing to be guilty about and stop telling ME to be guilty! - Maybe I completely missed what they were doing with the white guilt  and the school election and the college essay. I wasn't expecting this line of outrage.

• Love 2

I loved how proud Rainbow & Andre were at Zoey acing her college essay (white guilt!) and Junior winning by being himself (boxy pants suits & all).

I was also happy Pops and Johan got on so well. Which is surprising given how critical he is of D'Alicia, and occasionally, Rainbow.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 4

I see Stevens as someone who isn't outwardly prejudiced in his day to day feelings, he obviously has a very good relationship with Dre and Charlie and his old partner. But he is blind to the concept of White Privilege despite the fact that he lives it every day. Basically he hasn't had to confront those types of issues, and thus can be lured in by a lot of the alt-right ideals because his primary concern is his own tax burden.

His son definitely seems much more alt-right subscribed though.

• Love 6

Heavy handed but I get it. I wonder how many more voter theme shows we're getting from ABC. 

I had a deja vu with Diane and Ruby. I have many family members who say they are voting Democrat but don't know what they stand for on issues. All that is important to them is the D by their name.  

I don't care for Ruby but I did laugh at her, "Would it seem ignorant if I slap the taste out of your mouth?"

I don't care for Bow's brother either. 

• Love 3

Although this one lacked subtlety, it was still very funny. I loved all the stuff with Jr. His Klingon ears -- "This one? Or this one? This one? Or this one?"... -- the reveal of him wearing the woman's pantsuit, acting cool, working the white guilt... It was all good. 

Ruby and Diane together was a nice combo. I loved Diane's reaction each time Ruby answered like a conservative Republican, which she did so much that the questionnaire thought she WAS Trump.

I'm not crazy about Bo's brother. I know the actor is popular, but I haven't warmed to him. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

Nearly a day later and I'm still giggling over "Head Rigger in Charge"

Loved all the 'rigger' jokes, esp the last one when Jr said it before we saw the card Dre was holding.

• Love 4