Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3 Discussion

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

On 4/6/2017 at 9:41 AM, mtlchick said:

And it's starting to bug that Junior is being turned into this weird outcast who doesn't understand social mores.

Sing with me:
When there's booze in the punch
And the pot-chips go crunch
Those are mores...

On 4/6/2017 at 6:34 PM, Vyk said:

And given that it turned out she was going to a rager

You need to put "rager" in quotes.  That was, by TV and movie standards, a pretty calm house party, not a rager (except to Junior!).

On 4/7/2017 at 6:26 AM, charmed1 said:

That was Bishop Desmond Tutu and he had stolen her peanuts for goodness sake.

You say "peanuts" and I say "penis"
Let's call the whole thing off...

Weird that they're bringing in Bow's sister so late in the season, but then again the writers have always been inconsistent.

I like Rashida Jones's character they should bring her back for more episodes.

Dre as usual acted like a man child throughout the episodes. What does Bow see in him honestly? Is it the way he treats Junior every episode? Is it his stupid loud, abrasive, and obnoxious voice that keeps her coming back for more? He is such a loser and other than his bank account, there is not a single plausible reason why Bow would even choose to stay with him.

I loved Zoey telling Dre that co-dependence isn't working for her and to actually remember that he has another son. The way they portray his relationship with Junior isn't even remotely funny and I know it's a play on the way his father treated him but it's not working anymore especially now that Junior is at an age where he's able to be more independent. For the season finale, I hope he kicks Dre's ass.

The twins are funny and really are the stars of the show.

Liked Pops crying at the end.

Overall like the rest of the episodes, just plain abysmal.

• Love 8

I enjoyed both episodes but overall it feels like a series that is winding down as the oldest child goes off to college and the cutesy youngest kids aren't so little anymore.

After the final two eps this season I'll be ready for a break. Don't know what Kenya Barris thinks a baby will add here though I'll tune in next fall to find out. 

• Love 3

Dre drops Zoey off to college for her two-day orientation, where she hits it off with a fellow freshman after they ditch the campus tour and meet a guy at the Black Student Union booth; and Zoey finds out Dre never turned in her housing application, so she pays a visit to the president and dean to plead for mercy.

For me, not since Jackie Gleason in the Smokey and the Bandit movies have I laughed so much at someone being so mean to his son as Dre is to Junior! I would have said Fred Sanford but Lamont was equally pissed off at him.

Rashida Jones looks so different as "Santa Monica" from other things like Parks and Recreation and The Office. That wardrobe, wow.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 7

I need more Rainbow, Johan, Santamonica and D'Alicia impromptu dance parties! They are the absolute cutest sub-branch of the Johnson family tree.

Also, I still need Maya Rudolph to be cast as Bow/Johan/Santamonica's missing sister to complete the elder Johnson sibling set.

Zoey helping Andre and Junior bond was really sweet. The fact that she knew how to reach her father (smiley face pancakes) while also keeping him from overreacting (utilizing the twins as a buffer) proves she definitely is his favorite.

Andre & Junior geeking out over Game Of Thrones together was adorable. Andre bonding with Junior, via one of Junior's cherished hobbies (with swords), is a tremendous bit of character growth.

Andre bonding with Zoey and Junior over being mortified about Bow and her family's antics? Priceless.

Loved D'Alicia taking Rainbow down a couple of pegs. It's nice to see one person not be intimidated by Rainbow's passive aggressive shadiness.

Jack packing his school backpack with Star Wars action figures, Legos, and Dominoes? Jack, in glasses, discussing Syria & climate change? Jack gleefully running off to eat everything in the condiment drawer? I LOVE THAT KID.

Diane popping a multivitamin to stave off osteoporosis had me howling.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 20

"The man just wanted to play with his friends!" Hee. I kind of love Jack. And all the flashbacks made me keep saying, "Aww!" I can't believe how big the kids have gotten. I just hope they don't venture too far into the "Jack is dumb" theme. I hate when characters are given the Chrissy Snow/Kelly Bundy treatment. It's boring.

I couldn't help it. I kept imagining Maya Rudolph as Santa Monica. 

Isn't "Candy" everybody's jam? It certainly is mine. I mean that and "Encore." I miss Ruby. She better not be "in hospice" like Pops.

Edited by charmed1
  • Love 7

So they were worried about Zoe getting into ANY college and then she got into Vanderbilt and NYU?  That's a stretch.  But I love Zoe and I love how Dre loves her so I'll let it go.

The twins trying to switch personalities was awesome.  Jack explaining how to play spin and barf to Diane was so funny.  "Did you eat that pudding? Yeah, you're good." (paraphrased)    Also Dre asking the twins if they knew Zoe was going to break up with him.  "Everybody knew."  haha

Also, less office tonight, which I enjoyed, but still got Charlie hot for Bow. lol!

• Love 8

I started watching this show consistently in season 2, so I may have missed some early characterization, but has Diane always been "the responsible one?" That is definitely not the impression I got over the last 2 seasons.  Compared to Jack, maybe, but in general I see her as more the trouble-making Machiavelli.  Also, far be it from me to judge TV parents (HA!!!), but I'm not sure that Sex in the City is appropriate viewing for a girl her age (any number of Samantha's antics are coming to mind - pun intended.) 

Rashida Jones looked smoking hot in this episode.  She is always beautiful, but the glam makeup took it up a few notches.  Bow has more style though.  As always, I want Rashida to be funnier than she really is.  She seems like a nice person and apparently she is a writer on many funny shows, but for some reason she always comes off as the straight man even when she is supposed to be the "wacky character."   I do love their family though, and was cracking up at "Black Prayer Hands."   I swear my step-mother joined FB just so she could post Maxine the cranky old Hallmark lady memes on people's walls and nothing else.

Good Lord, I love Junior and I was glad that he was just as annoyed with Dre as Dre was with him.  Junior and his nerdiness will be laughing all the way to the bank when he invents some app or video game and can buy and sell Dre without blinking an eye.  Not that it matters to me how financially successful Junior is, but you KNOW it matters to Dre.  I do love that Dre likes to make slide-shows for important events in his life (such as sports retirements) and sets them to 80s-90s soundtracks.  That is a man after my own heart.  

Also, I never want to see Junior and Megan make out ever again.  Yikes.

• Love 14
28 minutes ago, Deanie87 said:

I do love that Dre likes to make slide-shows for important events in his life (such as sports retirements) and sets them to 80s-90s soundtracks.  That is a man after my own heart. 

I lost it when Rainbow forbid him to do any more star wipes.

• Love 11
38 minutes ago, Deanie87 said:

Also, I never want to see Junior and Megan make out ever again.  Yikes

Pops marched so Junior could do that!  Generally, I hate Dre's interactions with Junior, so I really enjoyed them bonding over Game of Thrones.  I laughed really hard when Dre woke up Junior after watching the Red Wedding.  And Pops crying at the end was golden.

• Love 17
7 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Rashida Jones looks so different as "Santa Monica" from other things like Parks and Recreation and The Office. That wardrobe, wow.

I noticed they padded her hips and backside so she looked more like Tracee and less like Rashida. Not a bad look on her at all!

The first episode would have had to literally be a 30 infomercial about loving Chris Brown and Donald Trump for me to hate it. It had my two favorite things: Rashida + Blackish. Loved loved loved. But I do wish their oldest sister was there to dance at the end with them. I noticed Santamonica looked so much like D'Alicia, so I get why they cast Rashida instead of Maya. But I'm not giving up hope that she is just in the peace corps right now and really hard to get a hold of. 

Can't believe how tiny Junior was in the pilot episode talking about field hockey. So cute!

• Love 9

I hope we see Santamonica again and I always like Johan.

I loved Rainbow and her family having that little dance moment. It's nice to see her side of the family and to see people who aren't always just shitting on her 24/7. I would have liked if Junior had joined in. There's nothing for you on Dre's side, except maybe Pops. I liked the Dre/Junior bonding over Game of Thrones scenes but then the next episode reminded me of why I hate Dre. Get free, Junior!

The flashbacks were nuts. I forgot how small all the kids were. Junior's growth spurt was crazy!

• Love 3

I hope they bring Santamonica back so I can see her relationship with the kids. I love Uncle Johan and the kids together. I cant imagine a reason why Santamonica wouldn't be their favorite among a group that includes Rhonda

I loved the taglines at the end; especially Junior "I may be Junior but next year I'll be a senior"

And if I have to pick an ongoing story that I don't care for I will take Dre is mean to Junior over Diane is the evil devil's spawn. Just her being a smart azz and responsible is enough. She don't have to be evil (except to Charlie - don't change that!!!)

48 minutes ago, Boofish said:

I loved the taglines at the end; especially Junior "I may be Junior but next year I'll be a senior"

The taglines were a riot! Sometimes that last little segment is the funniest part of the show.

Was Jack wearing Ruby's glasses? They looked "old lady" to me!

• Love 1

At the risk of unduly offending any Brown alums who may be here, aren't they the one Ivy that'll pretty much take anyone who can afford it? I was surprised Zoe didn't get in, especially since she's a legacy.

Heh, deep-fried racism versus the ocean breeze kind.

I'm betting Zoe will end up at USC or some fictional school in southern CA.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 4

"USC isn't even the best school in the city!" Haha, nice!

Though my favorite part of the two shows was Dre, Junior, and Zoey stumbling on the Dance Party, all looking horrified and backing away, with Dre grabbing Zoey who lingered just a little too long. Excellent silent comedy there!

Pops being proud when Bow told him about Junior making out with Megan was both heart warming and funny. He took real pleasure in that.

• Love 5

"That's what I marched for!" I love Pops, he's the best. Then crying his eyes out at the slideshow, and hating himself for it was both funny and sweet. Seriously, never leave again Pops!

I really hate what a dick Dre is to Junior, but I enjoyed watching them bond over Game of Thrones. If there was any "geeky" show they would both like, that would probably be it. GoT has something for everyone! Watch it with the family!

How many siblings does Bow have anyway? They just popping up! I almost didn't recognize Rashida Jones as Santa Monica, she looked beautiful! I mean, she's always lovely, but in more of a "normal person" kind of way, not super glamorous like here. I thought she was fun, and Bow learning to accept her sister was nice, but it would have been nice if we knew her and her relationship with Bow better. I cracked up over Bows mom apparently using the black prayer hands on every text! It sounds like when my cousin got my aunt on Facebook, and she started constantly adding #blessed at the end of every post, no matter the context!

The kids used to look so little! They really do grow up too fast!

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I cracked up over Bows mom apparently using the black prayer hands on every text! It sounds like when my cousin got my aunt on Facebook, and she started constantly adding #blessed at the end of every post, no matter the context!

In our family group text right after this aired we were all, one mom's black prayer hands is another's #blackgirlmagic. Because our aunt adds that hashtag to every post on every platform.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Deanie87 said:

As always, I want Rashida to be funnier than she really is.  She seems like a nice person and apparently she is a writer on many funny shows, but for some reason she always comes off as the straight man even when she is supposed to be the "wacky character."

I know what you mean, but actually she's very funny on Angie Tribeca.

The first ep had its good points, but I LOVED the second one. Seeing clips from old eps was great. Junior was so little when the show started! I forgot about that. But there was so much funny in these.

Dre being mean to Junior is often amusing to me, but what I really loved here was when Zoey didn't get into Brown (I think) and Junior threw back the razzing onto Dre. (I don't know if razzing is the right word. Shade?) Anyway, it was hilarious.

Diane and Jack are fantastic together. I always love Jack. He can do no wrong in my eyes. Anyway, in both eps they were so much fun. Diane fantasizing about NYC was great. Oh, and jack not knowing where various States are cracked me up, esp at the end when Diane just said, "That way," and he looked, as if he could see that State.

I should have jotted down all the jokes that made me laugh. Stuff at work was great. Charlie, as usual, was very funny.

I'll have to rewatch. Great ep.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Diane fantasizing about NYC was great.

I thought the writers missed a great opportunity here.

There's no way Diane would be a Sex & The City girl imo.

I can't not see her not wanting to eventually move to NYC to pursue a career as a killer lawyer like Living Single's Maxine Shaw.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 6

The Luther song was timely because there's a video circulating on social media, of Miles Brown literally dancing with his father to "Optimistic" by Sounds of Blackness. I always get teary eyed hearing "Dance with my Father" because I remember Luther doing interviews promoting it not long before his stroke.

Edited by charmed1
  • Love 1

I like Rashida Jones, but her character was one of those I can't stand -- the kind who just gets lucky in life while everyone else works hard to get what they want.  Believe me.  I've met my share of those people in real life, too, and didn't like a single one of them.

The second one was a bit, but it felt more clip-show-like than an actual episode.

• Love 2

The Girl Twin
Malia Obama
Mississippi
Siri
The guys that's after me

What I'm interested in knowing is what he did to piss off each of those parties in the first place. . . .

Edited by Nalan
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Nalan said:

I like Rashida Jones, but her character was one of those I can't stand -- the kind who just gets lucky in life while everyone else works hard to get what they want.  Believe me.  I've met my share of those people in real life, too, and didn't like a single one of them.

The second one was a bit, but it felt more clip-show-like than an actual episode.

That's because it was a clip show.

What one of the most low key clip shows ever and they actually still filmed quite a bit. It's one of the best clip shows I've ever seen honestly. 

• Love 4

No disrespect to Luther, but I LOATHE that song. I understand the sentiment but the cheesiness of it makes me roll my eyes (as opposed to other people who get teary-eyed when they hear it).

On 4/27/2017 at 8:22 PM, Nalan said:

When Bow mentioned that Santamonica was one of those people, I immediately thought of my friend's ex who was exactly like that. Similar to Santamonica being offered a commercial when she was a little girl and then gliding through life on sheer luck, this ex was a child model so when he finished high school there was a pile of money just sitting in a bank account waiting for him so he's never HAD to work. Whenever he gets a job, it's because he feels like it. He always liked to draw and he ended up being offered a job to work on animating video games at one of the big companies (I forget the exact story, but it wasn't like one of those people who spends their whole life dreaming about working at Disney and working towards that goal - he didn't even apply for a job there and it just got dropped into his lap). His brother, on the other hand, had to work really hard for everything. Since he didn't have a fat savings account waiting for him after high school, he had to get all kinds of part time jobs to support himself while he figured out what he wanted to do (you know, like a normal person) and he was a little resentful that his brother just always happened to get lucky with opportunities.

Normally I loathe clip shows, but it was amazing to see how much all the kids have grown in three years.

I hated that everyone was trying to pressure Zoey into picking a school for their own selfish reasons, so I was glad that she chose NYU for her own reasons. Of course, then I had to rescind that when she decided to stay in California to be near her family. Don't get me wrong - family is important, but it's okay to go out of state for college and leave your siblings behind. She can still fly home for important things (you know Dre would be willing to give up buying a new pair of sneakers if it meant buying a plane ticket for his Zoe-Zoe to come home for the weekend).

I was surprised that Diane was into SATC. I know it's in reruns which is probably how she's been watching it, but given her general attitude about everything it seems like the kind of show she would make fun of, not use as the basis for idealizing New York. I can totally imagine her hate watching it just so she can bitch about the outfits and ridicule every life choice Carrie made though.

When Rainbow was trying to guilt trip Santamonica into doing something more important in life by pointing out that her boobs won't always look that good, I thought her sister was going to get a boob job to make sure they looked good forever. 

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3

Bow is great, but the writers really let her down.  For that matter, did no one else notice the obvious and nails-on-chalkboard grammar mistake?  When Bow was describing the growing bond "between Santamonica and I."  This isn't an obscure future tense subjunctive break of the rules of grammar - this is as basic as it gets.  Around your birthday, does anyone ask friends to "send I a present?"  I hope not!  Because that would be wrong.  Between is a preposition, which means it must be followed by an objective case pronoun.  Did the show's writers EVER study grammar?  Stupid mistakes stand our more than good quality, at least to me.  If I heard my doctor make that kind of stupid mistake, unless she was removing her own appendix at the time, I would find a new doctor.  Someone should have known better.  If production values can turn night into day and vice versa, then someone can do a voiceover for a one word mistake like that.  Grammar DOES matter!

• Love 10

I always notice when someone does that. I'm sure the writers know the difference. You could put this instance down to Bow's character -- She likes to brag about her achievements and appear superior. People who say 'betw you and I' do so because they think it sounds more educated than 'betw you and me.' Even knowing the difference, Bow may speak that way because she's trying to impress.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, nora1992 said:

Bow is great, but the writers really let her down.  For that matter, did no one else notice the obvious and nails-on-chalkboard grammar mistake?  When Bow was describing the growing bond "between Santamonica and I."  This isn't an obscure future tense subjunctive break of the rules of grammar - this is as basic as it gets.  Around your birthday, does anyone ask friends to "send I a present?"  I hope not!  Because that would be wrong.  Between is a preposition, which means it must be followed by an objective case pronoun.  Did the show's writers EVER study grammar?  Stupid mistakes stand our more than good quality, at least to me.  If I heard my doctor make that kind of stupid mistake, unless she was removing her own appendix at the time, I would find a new doctor.  Someone should have known better.  If production values can turn night into day and vice versa, then someone can do a voiceover for a one word mistake like that.  Grammar DOES matter!

Yeah, I caught that too. It surprised me because even if the line was written in the script like that you'd think Tracee would know better and would've corrected it. Even in character Bow wouldn't make a mistake like that. It was odd.

• Love 4

I was very happy with the throwaway line from ADS: "Santa, baby..." Hat tip, Eartha Kitt!

And heaven help me, I will never not laugh when somebody pronounces it 'breasteses.'  Like Pops, I hate myself for it, but I'll laugh.

Man, if the Johnsons think sleeping in 57 degrees is cold past bearing, they won't like my house. If it's that warm in my bedroom in the winter, the windows get opened and I put on a fan. #heatintolerance. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Yeah, I caught that too. It surprised me because even if the line was written in the script like that you'd think Tracee would know better and would've corrected it. Even in character Bow wouldn't make a mistake like that. It was odd.

The only way I could forgive it is because it was in an episode making lots of references to the Bravo TV "Housewives" and similar shows and they make that grammar mistake ALL the time. It drives me crazy every time, too.

• Love 1

I also often notice that mistake. And I agree that Bow is someone who should know better, but writers on many shows seem to make that mistake. I also noticed on this week's episode of The Originals that Elijah made the same mistake and he is also a character who should know better.

• Love 2
On 4/27/2017 at 11:32 PM, Nalan said:

What I'm interested in knowing is what he did to piss off each of those parties in the first place. . . .

The Girl Twin is a witch!!!!

You know that the Secret Service has orders to shoot-to-kill if Charlie comes within 500 feet of Malia!

• Love 2
On 4/26/2017 at 10:25 PM, lavenderrose said:

The way they portray his relationship with Junior isn't even remotely funny and I know it's a play on the way his father treated him but it's not working anymore especially now that Junior is at an age where he's able to be more independent. For the season finale, I hope he kicks Dre's ass.

It hasn't been funny for a while now.  Dre is a bully (ripping up other people's property, even when you don't like it, is a crime!)  At least Junior's starting to stand up to Dre.

On 4/27/2017 at 2:38 AM, Dee said:

Zoey helping Andre and Junior bond was really sweet.

Too bad it only lasted 15 minutes before Dre started in on him again.

On 4/27/2017 at 9:23 AM, Deanie87 said:

I swear my step-mother joined FB just so she could post Maxine the cranky old Hallmark lady memes on people's walls and nothing else.

I never want to see Junior and Megan make out ever again. 

I love your step-mom now!
Knowing that his nerd "Never gonna get a girl -- he wears a cape!" son has a hot girlfriend should drive Dre nuts, so I'm all for it.

On 4/27/2017 at 3:31 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

I'm betting Zoe will end up at USC or some fictional school in southern CA.

On 4/28/2017 at 6:15 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I hated that everyone was trying to pressure Zoey into picking a school for their own selfish reasons, so I was glad that she chose NYU for her own reasons. Of course, then I had to rescind that when she decided to stay in California to be near her family.

Because screw academic excellence, making sure the baby knows his sister, or pleasing hewr daddy, is far more important!  Blech.

On 4/27/2017 at 6:42 PM, tennisgurl said:

I really hate what a dick Dre is to Junior, but I enjoyed watching them bond over Game of Thrones. If there was any "geeky" show they would both like, that would probably be it. GoT has something for everyone! Watch it with the family!

Nudity and sword-fights -- of course it appeals to Dre!

On 4/27/2017 at 8:14 PM, Dee said:

I can't not see her not wanting to eventually move to NYC to pursue a career as a killer lawyer like Living Single's Maxine Shaw.

OMG -- I can sooooooo see it!!!!  Zoey doesn't fit any of the others, coming closest to Regina, I think.  (I loved that show!!!!)

• Love 2

I would have loved this episodes if Dre hadnt been in them.  His behavior towards Junior AND Bow is atrocious and deeply unfunny.  

That said, the presence of Anna Deveare Smith as D'Alicia made me like Johan!  I would gladly watch a spinoff with Anna, Beau, Rashida, the dude playing Johan, and Maya as the Rudolph as the other/third sister.  

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I would have loved this episodes if Dre hadnt been in them.  His behavior towards Junior AND Bow is atrocious and deeply unfunny.  

That said, the presence of Anna Deveare Smith as D'Alicia made me like Johan!  I would gladly watch a spinoff with Anna, Beau, Rashida, the dude playing Johan, and Maya as the Rudolph as the other/third sister.  

Daveed Diggs. 

Totally agree about Dre.  The boss' son is becoming more sympathetic to me than Dre.

I found this in an essay from "On Being Bow-racial":

I hope we get to see more of Megan and Bow interacting. It’ll be great to see how Bow rectifies her feelings with Junior literally finding his perfect, Dothraki-speaking soulmate.

It would be interesting (to me, anyway) to see Bow balance her concern over Junior having a white girlfriend with Junior having a girlfriend who gets him.

• Love 3

The dude playing Johan is Daveed Diggs, who won a Tony for playing Thomas Jefferson in Hamilton. I'm surprised that haven't taken advantage of his other talents yet. A visit to the twins history class dressed as Jefferson would be ok with me. 

• Love 4
On 4/27/2017 at 2:04 PM, Boofish said:

And if I have to pick an ongoing story that I don't care for I will take Dre is mean to Junior over Diane is the evil devil's spawn. Just her being a smart azz and responsible is enough. She don't have to be evil (except to Charlie - don't change that!!!)

I think it is interesting that the show has seemed to back away from Diane being such a dark character and yet double down on Dre being so dismissive of Junior.  It is like they are finding it hard to balance.  No way was Dre that mean to Junior til this season.  In fact he spent a lot of S1 & S2 trying to de-Geek junior and to make him a bit more hood.  He was definitely invested in Junior.  It has only been three seasons, but I didn't realize how young Marcus Schreiber looked when the show first started.  Good selection of flashbacks.

And count me in as one who wonders how Maya Rudolph would have been as Santa Monica?  I feels like it was written for her almost.  But I did like Rashida in this.  I especially liked the dance party and how they joked about Alicia's prayer hands texting.  I totally relate. I taught my dad how to text and all my siblings regret it because the man never met an emoji he didn't like.  I hope we continue to see more of Bow's side of the family.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

He was definitely invested in Junior.

He's still invested in Junior.

He's cut back on the bullying and trying to change Junior quite a bit, and made a significant amount of progress on opening up to, bonding with and accepting Junior on Junior's own terms. A lot of the aforementioned progress is undercut by abc playing this seasons episodes out of order though.

Also, Andre is rough with all the members of his & Rainbow's family (except Ruby), and is far from the only member of the extended Johnson family to refer to and/or tease Junior for being a geek.

16 hours ago, Johnny Dollar said:

The dude playing Johan is Daveed Diggs, who won a Tony for playing Thomas Jefferson in Hamilton

It was actually a dual role as he also played the Marquis de Lafayette.

I love Johan and D'Alicia but Santa Monica didn't really do it for me.  Still the scene with all of them dancing to D'Alicia's "jam" at the end was priceless.

I expect "[preposition] you and I" from dumbasses on shows like The Bachelor (see also: "[name] and I's relationship"], but it drives me crazy when characters who are supposed to be intelligent say things like that. I can never figure out if the writers and actors and directors are all THAT ignorant about correct grammar regarding pronouns or if they think they're being funny and subversive by having a "smart" character make such a basic mistake (honestly, I feel the latter is me just trying to make excuses for this frequent mistake). I do acknowledge that not everyone with an advance degree necessarily has flawless grammar skills, but I know a lot of people with PhDs and MDs and almost without exception, they do not make these kinds of basic grammar errors. Sorry for the rant, but this (specifically "[preposition] you and I") is a pet peeve of mine and I hear it far too often.

On 4/29/2017 at 9:22 AM, attica said:

And heaven help me, I will never not laugh when somebody pronounces it 'breasteses.'  Like Pops, I hate myself for it, but I'll laugh.

I don't even hate myself for it. I just think ha, thank you, In Living Color - your presence lives on!

• Love 3
On 4/27/2017 at 1:21 PM, TiffanyNichelle said:

I hope we see Santamonica again and I always like Johan.

I loved Rainbow and her family having that little dance moment. It's nice to see her side of the family and to see people who aren't always just shitting on her 24/7. I would have liked if Junior had joined in. There's nothing for you on Dre's side, except maybe Pops. I liked the Dre/Junior bonding over Game of Thrones scenes but then the next episode reminded me of why I hate Dre. Get free, Junior!

I can't even count how many times I've rewatched the texting/dance scene. Just perfectly done. Two sisters are at odds with each other, then immediately join forces to turn on their goofy brother, then all 3 seamlessly join together to laugh at Mom, and then she joins in. I've experienced that same sequence of events so many times with my siblings and parents, nothing unites the siblings like making fun of Mom and  Dad. ;) 

And Dre's "my blood family...not these weirdos" was perfect too. In-laws usually can't fully appreciate the humor in things that siblings would find hysterically funny due to a lifetime of shared experiences. 

Bow is great, but the writers really let her down.  For that matter, did no one else notice the obvious and nails-on-chalkboard grammar mistake?  When Bow was describing the growing bond "between Santamonica and I."  This isn't an obscure future tense subjunctive break of the rules of grammar - this is as basic as it gets.

Ha, that tweaked my ear too. Seems out of character for her, particularly in a scene where she's highlighting her own (perceived) superiority over her sister. 

• Love 4
23 hours ago, DearEvette said:

And count me in as one who wonders how Maya Rudolph would have been as Santa Monica?  I feels like it was written for her almost.

I don't think the line about the breastses would have worked (or at least not was well) with Maya.

13 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I expect "[preposition] you and I" from dumbasses on shows like The Bachelor (see also: "[name] and I's relationship"], but it drives me crazy when characters who are supposed to be intelligent say things like that.

My feeling is that most people don't care.  Even intelligent people.  YMMV

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, jhlipton said:
13 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I expect "[preposition] you and I" from dumbasses on shows like The Bachelor (see also: "[name] and I's relationship"], but it drives me crazy when characters who are supposed to be intelligent say things like that.

My feeling is that most people don't care.  Even intelligent people.  YMMV

To me, that's like saying intelligent people don't care when they hear someone say 2+2=5 or that the earth is flat. When I hear anything that's incorrect, it's like nails on a chalkboard to my brain. Or to put it another way:

Xander: Incompetently dubbed kung fu. Our most valuable Chinese import.

Buffy: See? Now with the flying kick, from a dead stop. What's powering it? Raw enthusiasm? 
Riley: Hey Buff, maybe you oughta leave the work behind sometimes. You're not always on slayer duty, you know? 
Buffy: It would drive you crazy if we were watching an army movie and they were all saluting backwards and invading all willy-nilly.

• Love 5
On 4/27/2017 at 5:19 AM, Mama No Life said:

So they were worried about Zoe getting into ANY college and then she got into Vanderbilt and NYU?  That's a stretch.  But I love Zoe and I love how Dre loves her so I'll let it go.

I thought that was a nice touch of continuity?  Didn't Zoe write white guilt essays along with her college applications?  When she told her parents, Bow and Dre broke down and danced because they were sure Zoe was going to be accepted.

• Love 2