Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Two Episode Talk

• Start Topic

I could have watched 2 hours (at least) of them sitting on a couch reminiscing. That was awesome. I loved the opening with Stephen and Jon and Trevor Noah. I loved there flashback to 2005 and John Oliver standing in for Steve Farrell complete with his face on the "Forty Year Old Virgin" poster. 

• Love 8

The only thing I would add to how great the show was, is that I wish Stephen had shown the clip of when he broke character when reporting on the Royal Family, I think it was and when Jon provoked John Oliver with his "Quest me" making Oliver make a fool of himself and ending the piece with Oliver yelling "SCREW YOU, STEWART!!"????????????????

But it was soooooooo great!!!!

• Love 3
(edited)

God I miss Jon. I miss all of them, even though I see them in other things. Also laughing at Jon saying at the end how much he's aged compared to his former correspondents because it's true! It was like he was president! The hair gets greyer and the face more worn down. Watching clips of Jon's first year on TDS a while back, he was so young. I think it's because while Stephen and co. which they obviously worked hard on, involving hours of travel, they were still relatively light and silly. Jon had to keep up with ALL the serious news which was okay for at least two years and then 9/11 happened and the invasion of Iraq, etc...

ETA: Also love the jokes to indicate it's 2005(the tangerine iMac, trucker hat), which I still can't believe was a dozen years ago.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 5

It was definitely not long enough.  And even though I used to watch Craig Kilborn's Daily Show (especially the Five Questions), I'd forgotten about him being the first host of TDS.  

• Love 2

I barely remember two of the guys that were on last night.  I love Sam, John, Jon and Stephen, but wished they had also included Aasif and Jason to make 6. I appreciated Jon's crack about diversity. 

I also adored the cold open with Trevor. One of the highlights for me. I wish it had been included in the best of the last's episode. 

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yes! Asif AND Larry Wilmore should have been there!

1 hour ago, Temperance said:

I barely remember two of the guys that were on last night.  I love Sam, John, Jon and Stephen, but wished they had also included Aasif and Jason to make 6. I appreciated Jon's crack about diversity. 

I also adored the cold open with Trevor. One of the highlights for me. I wish it had been included in the best of the last's episode. 

Yes, it seems like if Sam could have been there, Jason could have, too.  Were Aasif and Larry on when Stephen was still on TDS?  

Comedy Central should have staged this reunion.  They still could.

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Yes, it seems like if Sam could have been there, Jason could have, too.  Were Aasif and Larry on when Stephen was still on TDS?  

Shoot. Larry is credited as being on the show since 2006, a year after Stephen left.? So did Asif. ?BUT So was John Oliver!!! I'm sooooo confuuuuused! (Said in Vinnie Barbarino's voice).

• Love 1
On 5/10/2017 at 2:26 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

The only thing I would add to how great the show was, is that I wish Stephen had shown the clip of when he broke character when reporting on the Royal Family, I think it was and when Jon provoked John Oliver with his "Quest me" making Oliver make a fool of himself and ending the piece with Oliver yelling "SCREW YOU, STEWART!!"????????????????

But it was soooooooo great!!!!

This clip? http://www.cc.com/video-clips/31u8mm/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-royal-watcher

• Love 2

Oliver was there pretending to be Carrell.

If Jon dyed his hair and shaved, he would look a lot younger. But I like his more relaxed look. TV can buff the edges off your appearance but why bother if you don't have to? He looks fine. Healthy. His new lifestyle seems to suit him.

• Love 5
On 5/14/2017 at 1:48 AM, possibilities said:

Oliver was there pretending to be Carrell.

If Jon dyed his hair and shaved, he would look a lot younger. But I like his more relaxed look. TV can buff the edges off your appearance but why bother if you don't have to? He looks fine. Healthy. His new lifestyle seems to suit him.

Oliver looks like he hasn't aged AT ALL.  The others, a bit more, and Jon & Rod the most.

• Love 1

What's with the random shots of the audience lately? Several times in the last few weeks, there's a shot of the audience during the stand-up part of the monologue for no earthly reason I can detect.

Yeah, the show's not tickling my funny bone lately.  I think Stephen's trying too hard, but with the latest scandals, he'll pull it out. 

On a purely gratuitous note, more shots of the drummer, please.  But not when he knows he's on camera, he does too much posing when he knows people are watching.

9 hours ago, ChelseaNH said:

Julie Chen is unfunny.  Bad enough that she has terrible ideas about what ought to be funny, but her delivery removes any trace of humor.

So true, and the constant bragging about her husband the head of CBS only amplifies the real reason she has has a job and continues to keep it.

• Love 9
(edited)
On 5/18/2017 at 3:53 PM, ABay said:

What's with the random shots of the audience lately? Several times in the last few weeks, there's a shot of the audience during the stand-up part of the monologue for no earthly reason I can detect.

Cutaway shots to cover an edit. You'll see some of those with Batiste as well.

Edited by kib
  • Love 2
56 minutes ago, DrSparkles said:

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, if I coulda been the oreo filling in the Brad/Stephen cookie....

I'm not a Brad Pitt fan, but I did like him in that bit, especially his laugh when Stephen called him "Bradley Trooper".

• Love 3
(edited)

Ali Wentworth's kids must be used to her telling embarrassing stories involving them, but I think it's a cheap and inappropriate way to get a laugh.  If they are typical kids, they are going to stop telling her anything, because it might wind up in the media.  I wonder how her husband feels about this.  Parents should just talk about themselves and  other consenting adults, not about a kid old enough to talk, much less a middle-schooler.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Ali Wentworth's kids must be used to her telling embarrassing stories involving them, but I think it's a cheap and inappropriate way to get a laugh.  If they are typical kids, they are going to stop telling her anything, because it might wind up in the media.  I wonder how her husband feels about this.  Parents should just talk about themselves and  other consenting adults, not about a kid old enough to talk, much less a middle-schooler.

She came across as so whiney, angry and entitled that I turned off the interview. I can't listen to that much complaining. I give you a medal for making it through the entire interview.

37 minutes ago, juno said:
52 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

She came across as so whiney, angry and entitled that I turned off the interview. I can't listen to that much complaining. I give you a medal for making it through the entire interview.

Then you missed the part I am actually objecting to - the question her sex-ed taking daughter asked about her parents' sexual practices.  The question was fine within the family, but totally embarrassing, I would think, on national television.

I found Kevin Hart delightful. I don't really know much about him, but after that interview I felt like I could conquer the world just by adjusting my attitude. 

• Love 4

Very much enjoyed John Mulaney's appearance and Colbert batting it back and forth rather than forcing the funny.  Horse in a hospital indeed.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, kib said:

Very much enjoyed John Mulaney's appearance and Colbert batting it back and forth rather than forcing the funny.  Horse in a hospital indeed.

"I have fired the horse catcher" is possibly one of the greatest punchlines I've ever heard. 

• Love 6

I just lost whatever respect I had for Oliver Stone.  At least when your average actor/actress appear for the intent of shilling their latest film there's little real world consequence to the project.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, kib said:

I just lost whatever respect I had for Oliver Stone.  At least when your average actor/actress appear for the intent of shilling their latest film there's little real world consequence to the project.

Based on T. J. Miller's now deleted tweets, that Oliver Stone interview was even worse than what we have seen (you have to read it from the bottom up).  I've never wanted to see unedited interview more than that one.

FAzIgCL.jpg

• Love 8

I was honestly shocked by how stupid Stone seemed, and that was just in the part that aired. How could he be that uninformed? Did he do ZERO research before the Putin interviews? Has he somehow avoided knowing ANYTHING about history or current events? Even if you ignore everything about the 2016 election, what about every OTHER damn thing Putin is well known to be responsible for?

• Love 10

I do declare, I get the vapors when Mr. Colbert's South Carolina roots sparkle through his speech like a debutante at the spring cotillion.  Swoon....

• Love 12
On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 11:54 PM, kib said:

I do declare, I get the vapors when Mr. Colbert's South Carolina roots sparkle through his speech like a debutante at the spring cotillion.  Swoon....

He is SO funny doing the southern accent for Jeff Sessions, plus the wagging finger.

Laura Berlanti was awesome as Melania, as usual.  I like how Melania was getting hot and bothered thinking about Justin Trudeau.

• Love 9

Solid show tonight, Colbert is feelin' his Wheaties. Having that extra day off seems to help.  My heart dropping a bit with Shaffer.  No Will Lee? No Anton Fig? Tom Malone? Al Chez?  Not the T.W.M.D.B.

• Love 3

No, Kumail. Anupam Kher is not a legend in Bollywood. Nor is he the Robert DeNiro of Bollywood. That would be Amitabh Bachchan. Now that's not to say Kher isn't a very good actor-he is. But he's a character actor. He also played Parmindra Nagra's father in Bend It Like Beckham.

The opening monologue had me rolling!

• Love 1

Colbert's opening monologues have been a great source of healing humor since the election, but lately they seem to be growing in manic malice, which is understandable, but not so comforting. Plus, I'm not sure exactly what fashion statement he is trying to make with the one-of-two-buttons fastened on his suit jacket so as to show his slight beer belly on his otherwise trim frame during the opening gyrations—perhaps proof that he is being driven to drink and/or proof of the Trump 10 lbs?

• Love 1
(edited)
57 minutes ago, mariah23 said:

I'm not sure how I feel about this.  Granted Oliver Stone and Megyn Kelly were just over there but are, in my estimation, no more than useful idiots.  Colbert on the other hand hasn't been shy about his disdain about current events.  Suffice to say, SAFE travels Mr. Colbert.

Edited by kib
  • Love 8

My dvr didn't record shows for Thursday and Friday this week, even though new shows were listed with Kevin Spacey and Kevin Hart. Were those shows canned for the surprise visit to Russia?

28 minutes ago, Arcey said:

My dvr didn't record shows for Thursday and Friday this week, even though new shows were listed with Kevin Spacey and Kevin Hart. Were those shows canned for the surprise visit to Russia?

They weren't new shows, they were repeats of recent (late May/early June) shows.

Oh yes, thanks. I thought I saw both of those guys on pretty recently, but didn't really make the connection that those would be reruns. Glad my dvr didn't get wonky on me (it's set to record only first run eps).

3 hours ago, Cyranetta said:

The Covetton House segment had tears running down my face I was laughing so hard.

This is starting to become my favourite segment in the whole show. Watching Stephen rip on all that bullshit and then mock it in parody brings deep, deep joy to my heart. He gets this glint in his eye that makes me think Paltrow hovers just a teeny smidgen above Trump in his estimation.

• Love 10
On 6/28/2017 at 6:09 PM, Miss Dee said:

He gets this glint in his eye that makes me think Paltrow hovers just a teeny smidgen above Trump in his estimation.

Which is how it should be.

• Love 3