Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Two Episode Talk

• Start Topic

I am very, very confused.  When I saw that Jessica Lange was scheduled, I assumed it was a rerun because she was just on about two weeks ago.  But my DVR guide said it was new, so I watched.  The monologue was clearly new, but everything after the first commercial break was something I'd already seen, right down to Stephen wearing a different suit and tie.  Is grafting a new monologue onto a rerun and passing it off as a new show something they do often?

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

I am very, very confused.  When I saw that Jessica Lange was scheduled, I assumed it was a rerun because she was just on about two weeks ago.  But my DVR guide said it was new, so I watched.  The monologue was clearly new, but everything after the first commercial break was something I'd already seen, right down to Stephen wearing a different suit and tie.  Is grafting a new monologue onto a rerun and passing it off as a new show something they do often?

And before coming here, I just went to the CBS/ Late Show website, and there's no new episode up from last night.

(edited)

@trow125  posted in the upcoming guests thread:

PLEASE NOTE: The Thurs. April 6 & Fri. April 7 are special hybrid shows featuring new cold opens and monologues, new guest interviews and encore airings of interviews. Mandy Patinkin and Zosia Mamet’s interviews on Fri. April 7 are both new.

Tuesday, April 4                     Louis C.K.; Ernie Johnson Jr.; musical performance by Father John Misty
Wednesday, April 5                Sigourney Weaver; Podcast hosts Jon Favreau, Jon Lovett and Tommy Vietor; Special appearance by Steve Martin; Neal Schon sitting in with Jon Batiste and Stay Human
Thursday, April 6               Special Hybrid Episode: Jessica Lange; Bassem Youssef; Judy Gold
Friday, April 7                     Special Hybrid Episode: Mandy Patinkin; Zosia Mamet; Jerrod Carmichael
Monday, April 10                Emma Roberts; Ken Jeong; interview with and musical performance by Luke Bryan & Dierks Bentley (OAD: 3/29/17)
Tuesday, April 11                Bryan Cranston; Audra McDonald; stand-up comedy performance by Greer Barnes (OAD: 3/20/17)
Wednesday, April 12          Ryan Reynolds; Josh Lucas; Andy Daly; musical performance by Green Day (OAD: 3/21/17)
Thursday, April 13             Anderson Cooper; Judd Apatow; musical performance by Jidenna (OAD: 3/6/17)
Friday, April 14                   Ewan McGregor; Finn Wittrock; musical performance by The Shins (OAD: 3/13/17)

Edited by ABay
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, ABay said:

@trow125  posted in the upcoming guests thread:

PLEASE NOTE: The Thurs. April 6 & Fri. April 7 are special hybrid shows featuring new cold opens and monologues, new guest interviews and encore airings of interviews. Mandy Patinkin and Zosia Mamet’s interviews on Fri. April 7 are both new.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.  I don't read the upcoming guests thread.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

Thank you for saying this. I thought I was losing my mind or having some very weird flashback or something. That was so confusing.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Thank you for saying this. I thought I was losing my mind or having some very weird flashback or something. That was so confusing.

I noticed they had a disclaimer that the monologue was recorded before the Syria bombing occurred. I figured maybe they had some other content about Syria but felt it was no longer appropriate so they queued up the re-run instead.

Fer crissake. If Stephen has other commitments or needs to take a night off, air a shitting rerun already. The constant hocus pocus to make the audience believe the show is taped live five nights a week is insulting.

• Love 2

I usually only watch the monologue and opening segments, so I'm fine with them rerunning guest interviews, since most don't interest me anyway. I like getting new, topical content. Colbert calling John McCain (using McCain's own words) a stupid idiot had me rolling on the floor.

• Love 5

And they are also taping two shows on Thursday still, right?  So that would also be a reason why they would include the disclaimer about the monologue being taped before the Syrian missile launches.   Did like that McCain stuff in the monologue there as well.  Heh.

I think there is also another reason for the taping/hybrid shows.  We had the show interrupted for the NCAA basketball tourney games.  And now this week, the show is delayed by the 15 minutes worth of Master's "highlights".  Perhaps they felt that people would just be tuning into the monologues and then going to bed, so that was the thing they would keep the most current(?) 

Oh, and I really wanted to like that IRS undercover segment.  But I thought it mostly fell flat.  At least for me, anyway.

• Love 1

I thought it was Stephen trying to revive Alan Funt's Candid Camera. It's not my kind of humor at all, but Stephen seems to love that kind of thing. I just don't get why it's funny to mess with people and play a character while they are trying to live their lives around it. It would annoy the hell out of me if I was made to deal with his tomfoolery. All I can think is: stop fucking with me, asshole. I hated the Thanksgiving Turkey hotline subversion even more. At least the H&R Block bit wasn't 100% being rude and obstructionist, but it was still annoying.

• Love 4

I was so distracted by the strange neckline of JHud's dress. It looked like some kind of armor chestplate. It also seemed prone to a wardrobe malfunction, and it didn't help that she kept trying to arrange the top layer so it would stay in place. They've really got to test run these outfits for TV interviewability.

• Love 1

It's always nice to see "Stephen Colbert" (and they didn't do the "identical twin cousin" thing this time), but I'm also starting to like Tuck Buckford. I hope he does that character more often.

On 08. 04. 2017. at 7:21 AM, brgjoe said:

I think there is also another reason for the taping/hybrid shows.  We had the show interrupted for the NCAA basketball tourney games.  And now this week, the show is delayed by the 15 minutes worth of Master's "highlights".  Perhaps they felt that people would just be tuning into the monologues and then going to bed, so that was the thing they would keep the most current(?) 

I think that's probably right. Going by the number of Youtube views, monologues and desk bits usually have much more views than interviews and performances.

• Love 1

I'm also starting to like Tuck Buckford.

I was so impressed with his acting in the latest Tuck Buckford bit.  Wow.  That was a Melissa-McCarthy-as-Sean-Spicer level of commitment.

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Raradra said:

It's always nice to see "Stephen Colbert" (and they didn't do the "identical twin cousin" thing this time), 

I was SO THRILLED to see "Stephen Colbert" and did my prancy happy ? because one of my wishes came true! And though I didn't get to see Jon pop out after "Stephen" invited O'Reilly to live with them, at least I got a Jon shout out. But I'm still hoping Jon will appear because I REALLY REALLY want to hear his take on this!

• Love 4
12 hours ago, ChelseaNH said:

Who the hell left a leaky balloon in the audience for the WHOLE DAMN SHOW?

Seriously, whoever you are, you're not cute, just stop it.

It was even worse listening on my headphones. Every time she would do that high pitched yell, it felt like she was piercing my eardrums.

• Love 1

I agree.  And since "Stephen" is in a cabin in the distant woods (presumably with Jon and BillO now), perhaps Tuck Buckford should be the new conservative correspondent now.  :)

That is if poor Stephen's vocal cords can stand the strain.  

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, ABay said:

I'm not a fan of Tuck and have been fastforwarding through most of the segments. 

This is what I did when I watched Tuesday's show.  I love Stephen, but Tuck not so much.

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 9:21 PM, SpiritSong said:

I usually only watch the monologue and opening segments, so I'm fine with them rerunning guest interviews, since most don't interest me anyway. I like getting new, topical content. ...

Same here.  I've never been a devoted "late night talk show" viewer, but I have Stephen and Seth on auto-record now, for the monologues.  It's always disappointing when I've already taken that "Closer Look" with Seth, so I appreciate that SC is going out of his way to do an up-to-date review of the news almost every night, even if the interviews are redux.

Seems like that's quite a bit of extra work he could choose to skip, if he were less passionate about what's going on.  Thanks, man.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, candall said:

Same here.  I've never been a devoted "late night talk show" viewer, but I have Stephen and Seth on auto-record now, for the monologues.  It's always disappointing when I've already taken that "Closer Look" with Seth, so I appreciate that SC is going out of his way to do an up-to-date review of the news almost every night, even if the interviews are redux.

Seems like that's quite a bit of extra work he could choose to skip, if he were less passionate about what's going on.  Thanks, man.

I think this strategy is what is helping him pull ahead of Jimmy Fallon in the ratings.  

• Love 3

Whoa, Monday night, Stephen's end-of-monologue rant at Trump... on FIYAAAAH!

If there's any personal silver lining to this bastardization of the presidency, it's that I'm actually paying attention to the (fake) news and returning to SC and TDS. Both are killing it.

• Love 12

You know, if the WGA starts striking, Monday's episode is pretty great one for the show to (hopefully briefly) go out on.

16 minutes ago, Dewey Decimate said:

Whoa, Monday night, Stephen's end-of-monologue rant at Trump... on FIYAAAAH!

The entire episode was great, but that rant was f*cking amazing.

• Love 6

Heard the diatribe.  I know you intended it as an insult, Stevie  -- I thought that kind of humor lost its currency ages ago.  I imagine it's awkward to have your knee jerk homophobia going viral.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, rallymantis said:

Heard the diatribe.  I know you intended it as an insult, Stevie  -- I thought that kind of humor lost its currency ages ago.  I imagine it's awkward to have your knee jerk homophobia going viral.

How is a blow job joke homophobic?

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

Using a blowjob metaphor to describe how Putin helped Drumph into the White House, which now seems to have the appearance of Drumph being beholden to the Russian strongman, is NOT the same as say calling Anderson Cooper "f**" or attempting to deny gays their hard fought rights, which Drumph's pick for Attorney General Jeff Sessions seems wanting to do.

Great destruction of that obnoxious oaf Drumph by Stephen.

Okay.  So now, take that same line, and replace "Trump" with "Obama", and "Putin" with "ayatollah".  

And tell me how funny it is.

I dont think a dig which involves oral sex is homophobic.

that said, i would have used a cleaner version like "the only thing your mouth is good for is kissing putin's ass...." but who knows? people would have gotten upset about that too, i bet

That said, the president was a jerk to the journalist. i mean, he is a jerk to everyone that does not worship the ground he walks on. he has gotten away with bragging about sexual assault, but oh noooo, stephen basically calls him out for being in bed with Putin and everyone can't handle that.

we want our president to keep treating people like jerks and getting away with it? nobody should challenge him? 

I dont get the outrage. it's baffling to me. 

• Love 16

Waking up with Jon Batiste is one of the most delightful segments I have seen on this show. "I get it, you wanna finish your dream about your middle school dance but all the people are fish." 

• Love 8
On 4/21/2017 at 2:30 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

But I'm still hoping Jon will appear because I REALLY REALLY want to hear his take on this!

He'll be on next Tuesday, May 9, along with a bunch of the old Daily Show crowd, to celebrate Stephen's 20th anniversary on TV.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, Moose135 said:

He'll be on next Tuesday, May 9, along with a bunch of the old Daily Show crowd, to celebrate Stephen's 20th anniversary on TV.

YES!!! I just saw that on my FB feed! And not only Jon! But John Oliver, Samantha Bee, Rob Cordry!!!?????

Me: ? ????????❤️❤️❤️??

• Love 5

So we segue from doing weird things with animals to...Richard Gere.

I just kept wondering what's going to happen to all the circus performers after the circus shuts down.  I mean, is there a market for those skillsets?

On 5/5/2017 at 3:53 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

YES!!! I just saw that on my FB feed! And not only Jon! But John Oliver, Samantha Bee, Rob Cordry!!!?????

Me: ? ????????❤️❤️❤️??

I wish Steve Carell was coming.

• Love 2
On 5/6/2017 at 7:48 PM, meowmommy said:

So we segue from doing weird things with animals to...Richard Gere.

I just kept wondering what's going to happen to all the circus performers after the circus shuts down.  I mean, is there a market for those skillsets?

I wish Steve Carell was coming.

And John Oliver. What about Sam Bee?

9 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Okay so Trump just fired Comey.  I'm sure the Late Show has already started taping for tonight. Will they go "fuck it, lets just do it live"?

I sure hope so!

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Okay so Trump just fired Comey.  I'm sure the Late Show has already started taping for tonight. Will they go "fuck it, lets just do it live"?

Since Chris Licht tweeted: "A truly amazing @colbertlateshow tonight. From Comey to the reunion--Don't miss a minute." I guess they will mention it, at least briefly. Also, nice picture of everyone in that tweet.

• Love 1