Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E03: These Are the Big Dogs

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

"Sending messages" like that ^^^ is so passive-aggressive. People aren't psychic, how can one be sure that they're getting the intended message if it's not clearly communicated?

Stuff like that drives me mental! It's akin to 'Gaslighting', and people who regularly do that kind of thing are sliding into emotional abuse. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Gabrielle Tracy said:

Isn't Melissa the pretty girl/great dancer who was studying pre-med at SMU when she first auditioned?  I thought they loved her.  What did they want to "send her a message" about?

I swear that reminds me of my first job at age 15 at Genghis Cones (it was a combination Chinese food take out and ice cream parlor) and no one told me that they weren't impressed with my work at any time.  Each week, I'd have few and few hours until it got down to, like two 2-hour shifts.  My manager finally took me aside and asked me why I hadn't asked about why I was losing hours.  I said, "Was I supposed to"?  And he said, (ta da) "Yes.  I was trying to send you a message."  So I was not even old enough to drive but I realized that dropping hints and "sending" vague "messages" was a pretty ineffective way to run a restaurant.  Or, it would seem, a dance squad.

GENGHIS CONES? I'm sorry about your experience, but the fact that this place even exists ... I love America. 

• Love 12

Speaking of Kelsey...She needs to learn the difference between good and well. It is not they expect me to do good, or I thought I done good. I hate it when people butcher the two words.

I notice one of Kelli's favorite words this year is "disinterested" when she really means "uninterested" -- that's one of my pet peeves, even though these days pretty much everybody uses them interchangeably.  #crankyoldgrammarperson

(info link for anybody who cares about such things)

• Love 7

I hate it when people say "heighth." It is the worst. I heard it when Lindsey said it, and I was watching with my mom who is also a grammar nazi (mix up "lay" and "lie" around her and you've got another thing coming). We just looked at each other and rolled our eyes.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, JanetLand said:

I notice one of Kelli's favorite words this year is "disinterested" when she really means "uninterested" -- that's one of my pet peeves, even though these days pretty much everybody uses them interchangeably.  #crankyoldgrammarperson

(info link for anybody who cares about such things)

Thanks for posting this!  Kelli also misuses the word literally (many do!). HA!

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, PBSLover said:

Guilty. It's my favorite word to use to describe an action. I was just going to type out that I literally just wrote that word to my friend on an email but yeah...

5 hours ago, PBSLover said:

Hahahahaha I was watching season 9 and she misused literally. I rolled my eyes. The disinterested drives me nuts as well. As does good vs. Well. 

People just don't care how they speak. It's definitely a black mark on our education system.

Edited by PrincessLeia
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, cgloss said:

Disinterested vs. uninterested reminds me ...

I *thought* I heard Lindsey pull a Vivian and pronounce "height" as "heighth." Did anyone else hear that? I want to be wrong.

Yes!  That drives me nuts!!!!  It's HEIGHT!!!!!!!

• Love 2

Ok Kelli, you don't have to explain "yes no and maybe" every year, and you also don't have to explain talking into the phone to take notes.  Even Candice Romo knew about that!  We watch the show season after season.  Cute phone cover btw 

thought Kelsey was getting a bit of the Ashley Paige treatment for a minute there!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, iloveit said:

Wut? Sending a message to Melissa? For what reason?

Honestly, that whole situation is take with a grain of salt for me.  Others may differ on what they heard - what I was told is that in the weeks before auditions they were not thrilled with her weight and felt her dancing had stagnated.  Since she is typically such a rock star, they were concerned she was getting complacent.  Then at finals her solo was apparently kind of meh (at least for her) and calling her last was kind of a get it together, girl.  

IF - ifffffff!! - that is really the case then obviously she got her ish together because girl's figure looks great, she is a second GL, she's done publicity stuff and has a great place in the triangle! I don't imagine there is much concern for her now (if there was to that degree). 

Anyhoo, my two cents. If it WAS going to be an issue, I feel like they would have shown her being called last or made a point of saying her solo was blah but since it wasn't even a blip, my assumption is she rocked it during TC. Usually she does get the longest amount of praise from Kelli tho when she discusses solos..."she's like what Emmitt Smith was for the Cowboys - it just didn't stop!" lol 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ByTor said:

Me too.  Sorry for derailing, but I'm still bitter that "nucular" is now considered a correct way to say "nuclear" because so many people were saying it wrong!

I freaking hate that too. I cringe every time I hear it.

• Love 6

I was watching ESPN or something like that and a football player was on his soapbox about why he didn't stand for the National Anthem. His action "was symbology." Umm.....

I'm late to the game on the episode comments. I really like Yuko now. She's adorable. I'm not a dancer, but with the side by side boxes, I thought she looked the best. And then Judy said she missed a lot of details. ? Shows you how much I know about dancing. Anyway, I love her personality, and Kelli asking her during the first meeting whether she understood what was said must be growing old on her. Her responses have always been, "I'll just go ask my friends for help." Like...Duh! She definitely doesn't seem to be making her lack of English a handicap or an excuse. She's resourceful. I'm interested to find out who she is close to during TC.

I liked how Kelsey handled herself in the office and I agree with her that it was a good opportunity for them to interact and get know her. I really liked her more after that. Before it sounds like the only time they get to do that is during uniform fittings. At the end of the meeting, it looked she really won over Judy. Is it just me or is Judy really fading into the background? She sems to say less and less.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, TobyBelle said:

Shows you how much I know about dancing.

I don't think it's you! It's more of a thing with Judy probably having certain arm movements and such that we never see incorporated because we never see the whole dance.

@TobyBelle definitely not you :) Yuko is a natural performer so it's itty bitty things that Judy would notice. Like maybe their feet are completely together and Yukos were an inch apart or like @heatherrrrz said small arm movements. I also think that they are trying to harp on Yuko details because of the language barrier. I think their insistence on specifics might come off as harsh on TV. With the language barrier it is understandable for her to be a "take home" girl and she's proved that she can go home, sleep a night and come back stronger. Kelli even gave her praise and the next night described her a a "firecracker". 

I like Yuko a lot.

• Love 5
On September 10, 2016 at 0:28 AM, woodscommaelle said:

Kelly has a great laugh. So genuine. Love it.

Melissa rycroft is so stunningly beautiful.  

Madeline is adorable. Didn't love her last season. She is who Melissa is the perfect mentor for.

Jinelle could light up a room. She was born to dance. 

'Humiliated' is an intense word/thing. That was a nasty thing for Kelly to say to Kelsie.

Love Whitney's story.

So rooting for Amy. She's got this!

am I the only one who doesn't think Melissa Rycroft is that pretty? "Stunningly beautiful" is not what comes to mind when I see her. She just looks like a regular, average woman to me - especially as she has gotten older? But idk much about her other than seeing her here and there on different reality shows. 

• Love 11

I had to laugh when Heather O said that there's a "stigma" that business majors are expected to have a full time career after graduation. I do not think that word means what you think it means, Heather O.

Yay for seeing everyone who got Barbies this year!

I like tall Lindsey (even though I'm almost a foot shorter than she is and have NEVER been told that I'm too tall for dance!). Hope that Kelli and Judy decide that her long legs are an asset, especially in the kickline.

Damn, Auto Amy's kicks were sooooooo low on the first night. She's auditioned five times and that's as high as her legs go? When she said she was going to come back limber the next day, I just shook my head wondering how she could do that but it turns out that Amy was able to go from barely waist high kicks on the first night to nose high kicks on the second night. What the hell? Does that mean she was deliberately kicking low on the first night of rehearsal? She was not picking up the choreography AT ALL. Get it together, girl!

When Kelli said that usually you learn about 30 seconds in a regular dance class but the girls were learning a 1:30 routine on their first night, I went ehhhhh. The reason that you usually learn a 30 second routine in a regular dance class is because a studio class is normally 50-60 minutes long, so after warm ups, center work, and across the floor, there's maybe 30 minutes left to learn a routine. Training camp rehearsal is three hours each night, correct? My college dance team had two hour rehearsals and we generally learned at least half a routine (sometimes up to a full routine up to three minutes long) depending on how much we buckled down. Yes, it's a lot of material but that's how it has to be when you have a limited amount of time to rehearse together (as opposed to my high school dance team when we had a daily class period to work on stuff five days a week plus before and after school).

Yay for more side by side dance comparisons with the girls' names on the screen! Please keep that up the rest of the season (especially the names for the next few weeks), CMT!

I agree with Judy that Kyndall seems more confident and that makes her more enjoyable to watch. I know that training camp is stressful, but part of being a dancer and performer is making it look fun and effortless. If you look stressed, tense, tentative, etc. then for me as an audience member, it's not fun for me to watch.

Jinelle talking about her burst cyst made me squeam. Poor girl.

I felt for Sheridan when she fell during kicks. She just kicked too hard and that pulled her supporting foot out from under herself. I understand Kelli's concern but at least Sheridan was trying too hard instead of not hard enough.

I totally agree with Judy that Cersten was selling her routines with her face. Of course it would be better if she weren't making any mistakes but I'd rather have Cersten working it and looking like she's owning it than Kelsey's deer in the headlights look. Like I said before, being a dancer means being a performer which means hiding your emotions to an extent. You just have to look like you're having the most fun even when you're flailing and lost. Kelsey also looks like she's marking. She needs to put a lot more energy, precision, and sharpness to her movements. But I applaud her for the way she responded to Kelli telling her she was humiliated in previous years.

I agree with Kelli about Emily being pigeon toed. Being aware of your feet is just part of being a dancer. That's a correction you have to make, even though it's counter to what your body naturally wants to do. When I started dancing, someone pointed out that I was pigeon toed so I had to make a conscious effort to pay attention to my feet. When I started ballet, one of my teachers told me that I sickle my feet so I had to be aware so that I wouldn't do that in class (even though they still want to sickle when I'm just sitting around).

It was nice to see Kelly get praise from Kelli. I hope that her hair gets fixed during the makeovers. It looks a little stringy, which I think is easily fixed by a good stylist.

I was also amused when she emphasized that DCC kicks are higher than the Rockettes.

Ha, that made me simultaneously laugh and roll my eyes.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

I don't mean to suggest Melissa's ugly or not pretty, she is definitely cute, I will give you that. And yes so many DCC in the past have been/are stunningly beautiful, I guess I just don't think Melissa is one of that group though.

• Love 2

I'm honestly surprised that tall Lindsay is only 6' tall, and that they've never had a 6' tall dancer. Yes, that's very tall for a woman, but they've had quite a few 5'9" and 5'10" girls, and 6' isn't that far off from those heights. Caila always talks about how tall she is, so I presumed she 5'10"ish. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Elizabeth9 said:

I think Melissa R is pretty but not stunning like some past DCCs (such as Holly Arielle, Katy and Abby)

Not to nitpick her because she is cute, but she's buck toothed or something.  Sure, she looks great after three babies, but in general she's a very average looking woman. 

3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

When Kelli said that usually you learn about 30 seconds in a regular dance class but the girls were learning a 1:30 routine on their first night, I went ehhhhh. The reason that you usually learn a 30 second routine in a regular dance class is because a studio class is normally 50-60 minutes long, so after warm ups, center work, and across the floor, there's maybe 30 minutes left to learn a routine. Training camp rehearsal is three hours each night, correct? My college dance team had two hour rehearsals and we generally learned at least half a routine (sometimes up to a full routine up to three minutes long) depending on how much we buckled down.

I totally agree with Judy that Cersten was selling her routines with her face. Of course it would be better if she weren't making any mistakes but I'd rather have Cersten working it and looking like she's owning it than Kelsey's deer in the headlights look. Like I said before, being a dancer means being a performer which means hiding your emotions to an extent. You just have to look like you're having the most fun even when you're flailing and lost. Kelsey also looks like she's marking. She needs to put a lot more energy, precision, and sharpness to her movements. But I applaud her for the way she responded to Kelli telling her she was humiliated in previous years.

I always consider this. In TC they have so much time, but they also teach very quickly. And sometimes (particularly deeper into TC) you're expected to have it perfectly and perform. So there's a lot of pressure if you're just going to dance classes all year.

as a dancer, I will respectfully disagree. Just because you're a dancer does NOT mean you NEED to perform. Anyone can take a dance class and learn eight counts. That's dancing. Performing is that extra effort, that extra "wow" factor, that little twinkle in the eye that comes from power and performance. Someone could have technique pouring out their ass but not perform well. Some one could be pigeon toed and hobble on turns and perform. To be a DCC you need both. That's why AMAZING technical dancers and girls like hunter who perform get cut early and people think "why did she get cut?" It's because they are either out performed or out danced. good examples of both would be cerstan, Mandy, Kelli Q, Erica, Melissa, holly P..they can dance and perform all day, everyday, at any given moment.

• Love 8
27 minutes ago, dalgal214 said:

I always consider this. In TC they have so much time, but they also teach very quickly. And sometimes (particularly deeper into TC) you're expected to have it perfectly and perform. So there's a lot of pressure if you're just going to dance classes all year.

as a dancer, I will respectfully disagree. Just because you're a dancer does NOT mean you NEED to perform. Anyone can take a dance class and learn eight counts. That's dancing. Performing is that extra effort, that extra "wow" factor, that little twinkle in the eye that comes from power and performance. Someone could have technique pouring out their ass but not perform well. Some one could be pigeon toed and hobble on turns and perform. To be a DCC you need both. That's why AMAZING technical dancers and girls like hunter who perform get cut early and people think "why did she get cut?" It's because they are either out performed or out danced. good examples of both would be cerstan, Mandy, Kelli Q, Erica, Melissa, holly P..they can dance and perform all day, everyday, at any given moment.

Great perspective!! Imnot from the dance world, so many of the technical discussions have kind of left me in the dust. This is an excellent, clear explanation that helps bring someone like me up to speed, even after all these years of watching the show, knowing some of these girls and being geek enough to follow these boards. Thank you!!!!

amys kicks were NOT waist high. She somehow messed up the across the floor work (God knows how it's normally 4 moving kicks, stop, 4 kicks on the spot and repeat) and didn't do a full kick. If you look at the rest of the footage her kicks are still low, but not waist high. CMT kept showing that one dodgy kick I suppose for dramatic effect haha 

• Love 6

Yeah the "tight as a tick" moment looked more like confusion from a misstep rather than a 100% effort sad little low kick. They show her kicks higher in a few minutes. CMT edits so much of some of these girls stories *eye rolls*

• Love 4
On 9/9/2016 at 0:07 PM, spazette said:

Did anybody else crack up at Kelli's explanation of her "yes, no, maybe" evaluations of the girls dancing? We remember what yes, no, maybe means from prelims Kel! ?

Not just from prelims but from understanding basic English! But thanks, Kelli, for once again explaining your extremely complex system.

On 9/9/2016 at 0:43 PM, PBSLover said:

But how did Amy not know that training camp involves learning a dance a night?  I’m confused on that one.

Especially since there's this show called DCC: MTT where anyone with a tv or the internet can watch ten seasons of training camp and see how many dances they learn! This should come as a surprise to no one, least of all someone who has auditioned five times.

On 9/9/2016 at 5:07 PM, cherryblossom said:

That is what theater is like...The show must go one!!  I remember when Angela fell and hurt her ? quad during the kickline and no one did anything.  In one show we were vamping(like bouncing back and forth waiting for everyone to enter and then begin the song) when there was a whoosh, people went ahhhhhh and then we went on.  A guy tripped over a light tree which fell on stage missing everyone.  I am sure everyone has tales to tell when they are in theater etc

Yup! It may seem heartless to anyone who hasn't performed in some capacity, but the show must go on unless someone yells, "STOP!" and turns off the music. That applies to rehearsal too.

On 9/10/2016 at 6:45 PM, KnyghtRyder said:

Tall Heather (Heather Chandler? Kidding!! Showing my age I suppose)

Heathers is one of my favorite movies!

On 9/12/2016 at 10:56 AM, cgloss said:

Disinterested vs. uninterested reminds me ...

I *thought* I heard Lindsey pull a Vivian and pronounce "height" as "heighth." Did anyone else hear that? I want to be wrong.

I noticed it more when Judy said it (possibly because she said it two times in rapid succession). The misuse of "literally" drives me crazy too, but then I kind of laugh inside because it reminds me of those Mad TV skits:

• Love 2

A quick thought. I don't think Amy's kicks are as low as CMT made them out to be in that one scene. I intentionally watched this show over to see if I could get clips of Amy's kicks and they are higher than that one they froze the screen on. That was just wrong!! Although, I love Auto Amy, her memory for learning a dance is not on point!

• Love 2