Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: In Sickness and In Health

• Start Topic

I must say that this was the first episode that I actually found Nick attractive ..... ??? It could have been the fact that he finally had some life in his eyes when he talked, despite doing so in a dbaggy way ....

Edited by Matias130
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, lazylou said:

[T]his program is actually about creating drama, not about arranging happy couples.

If the producers do not want people walking out on each other before the six week period is up,  they seem to have a terrible track record.  Most seasons seem to feature couples who are not really living together most of the season for one reason or another.  So...maybe the producers are actually batting about .750 in locating couples who cannot stand each other.  The "experts" are hired to match incompatible couples.

Given the premise of the show, conflict is bound to ensue. The producers shouldn't need to create additional drama beyond that (but they do).

I agree the experts have a poor track record, but I don't believe that is intentional ("never ascribe to malice what can be explained by incompetence").

No one has pointed out that Sonia drove away at the end of the episode in a late model Lexus. That seems like an odd vehicle for her given her modest income. Do the producers provide cars for them during filming, as well (or could that be one reason Sonia has a high level of debt)?

• Love 6

One of the problems with this show seems to be it's easy to recruit women but hard to recruit men.  Unless that changes, this show will never work because they will have fewer men than women to choose from.

Sometimes people decide to come on this show but their families talk them out of it; there was a woman in the matchmaking special where that happened.  Other people can't make the commitment because of their jobs.  

IMO the pool of people just seems to be very small.  They have to find attractive, non crazy people, who want to be married and first sight and who don't mind being filmed for a reality TV show.  They also have to find people whose jobs have no problem with the filming schedule and who don't mind their employees being on a reality TV show.

• Love 13
7 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

One of the problems with this show seems to be it's easy to recruit women but hard to recruit men.  Unless that changes, this show will never work because they will have fewer men than women to choose from.

Sometimes people decide to come on this show but their families talk them out of it; there was a woman in the matchmaking special where that happened.  Other people can't make the commitment because of their jobs.  

IMO the pool of people just seems to be very small.  They have to find attractive, non crazy people, who want to be married and first sight and who don't mind being filmed for a reality TV show.  They also have to find people whose jobs have no problem with the filming schedule and who don't mind their employees being on a reality TV show.

Neurochick --- wow, I hadn't thought of it that way - even though in the first show (I never saw it before this season) we saw what looked like hundreds of people lined up, it hadn't occurred to me how a vast majority of those people wouldn't be considered for the reasons you mention. 

I was actually attracted to nick when he went to the sensual massage doctor he had sopke alot that time lol and sonia thought she was going to become lesbian lol

im pretty sure if thats sonia lexus thats almost all her debt!!

2 hours ago, grumpy said:

No  has pointed out that Sonia drove away at the end of the episode in a late model Lexus. That seems like an odd vehicle for her given her modest income. Do the producers provide cars for them during filmin, as well (or could that be one reason Sonia has a high level of debt)?

From the front her car looked like a 2013 Lexus 300. It she bought it used she could be paying as little as $24K for it. It really depends on the mileage etc. Also, she could be leasing, driving a rental or borrowed a family member or friend's car for the filming. You never know with these "reality" shows. 

• Love 4

I, too, was very surprised when Sonia took off in that Lexus!  She portrayed herself as championing those "less fortunate" (foster children) and described a meager income so, unless the alternative theories of some here apply, I'm not "getting" her driving that car.  With her income it would be hard to come up with the down payment on a lease (it's thousands of $$) and even if it were a gift from a relative, the upkeep and maintenance on a luxury car far exceeds what I pay, for example, for my Toyota.  Something here doesn't compute, but, then again, why should it???  LOL

• Love 4
On 9/21/2016 at 10:29 AM, julyjen said:

Some people are afraid of surgery. I dont think she was trying to be overly dramatic but she really was scared. There could be a lot of complications even during routine work.  And having to depend on Tom who she has not been with long enough probably also added to her reaction. She probably got afraid that he might not want to deal with someone who will need his help for a while.

Surgery is no joke. One of the reasons I haven't posted since Wednesday is because I broke my right and dominant arm when I fell in the parking lot walking to my car as I was going out to lunch from work. I ended up in the emergency room and had surgery. I had never had surgery before nor been put under general anesthetic. Now, I am much older than Lily however after having been through this experience I can tell that it is not easy for anyone. You end up knocked out on drugs and in pain with limited mobility. The only reason I can type this is because of talk to text technology. If just breaking my right forearm is this bad I can't imagine that shoulder surgery would be much easier.

Edited by Snarklepuss
Talk to text is not perfect.
  • Love 14

sorry to hear that Snarklepuss, good that you have that software and welcome back.  no matter how minor, anytime you are under anesthesia, is dangerous.  and we also don't know the details and sometimes details make all the difference. We just see snippets of these people's lives, 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Snarklepuss said:

Surgery is no joke. One of the reasons I haven't posted since Wednesday is because I broke my right and dominant arm when I fell in the parking lot walking to my car as I was going out to lunch from work. I ended up in the emergency room and had surgery. I had never had surgery before nor been put under general anesthetic. Now, I am much older than Lily however after having been through this experience I can tell that it is not easy for anyone. You end up knocked out on drugs and in pain with limited mobility. The only reason I can type this is because of talk to text technology. If just breaking my right forearm is this bad I can't imagine that shoulder surgery would be much easier.

How awful for you -- get well soon, SnarklePuss.

• Love 4
On 9/23/2016 at 9:59 AM, Cherrio said:

I think the most successful couple will end up being Nick and the Pastor after a very "in depth" counseling session in a public bathroom. :)

"Come to Jesus, son!"

The "experts" are hired to match incompatible couples.

I'd like to believe there's that much science at work (even if used in reverse) but at this point, I'm pretty sure Dr Pepper gets liquored up, naked and throws darts at a wall of contestant photos while singing "La Vida Loca".

Edited by film noire
a typo caused by black cats and voodoo dolls
  • Love 15
8 hours ago, film noire said:

"Come to Jesus, son!"

I'd like to believe there's that much science at work (even if used in reverse) but at this point, I'm pretty sure Dr Pepper gets liquored up, naked and throws darts at a wall of contestant photos while singing "La Vida Loca".

It's 7:43 AM and you made me laugh like a mad woman with your comments.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

Oh, that's awful.  Get well soon.  Good thoughts to you.  

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

Oh, no! I'm sorry to hear that. Get well soon! I hope you'll have a speedy recovery.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, pdlinda1 said:

I, too, was very surprised when Sonia took off in that Lexus!  She portrayed herself as championing those "less fortunate" (foster children) and described a meager income so, unless the alternative theories of some here apply, I'm not "getting" her driving that car.  With her income it would be hard to come up with the down payment on a lease (it's thousands of $$) and even if it were a gift from a relative, the upkeep and maintenance on a luxury car far exceeds what I pay, for example, for my Toyota.  Something here doesn't compute, but, then again, why should it???  LOL

19 hours ago, magemaud said:

And Lillian drives a Lexus, too, although I would imagine she leases it for her real estate work. Maybe "product placement" and Lexus is a sponsor, although they would probably only be showing brand new ones. 

People are assuming Sonia owns that care and its why she is in debt. I highly doubt it. Lily said she owned one though but it wasn't brand new at this point if I remember right. If you go back and look you will also see another newer looking car though in the driveway to Tom and Lily's house in most shots. I wouldn't be surprised if at times this show has rentals for them to us. Maybe its a question someone should ask Sonia though to see what she says on SM. I just don't see her as the type of person to have a car just because of what it is or anything else that could put her in major debt. Which if it is her's by chance, she could have bought it used. Just because its a Lexus doesn't mean she couldn't have found a good deal on one. 

film noire, LMAO. I have to say those that bring the humor to things like this....thank you.

Snarklepuss, rest up and sending good thoughts for a smooth recovery.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Sorry to hear that...hope that you get better soon.

• Love 1

Awww Snarklepuss...wishing you a super smooth and speedy recovery!

Re Lilly.... I do feel she has every right to worry...sometimes the logistics are overwhelming beyond the facts of surgery....like who will take care of Zues...when can I return to work...how will I manage a shower etc. Hard too cause her Mom is far away.

I thought Tom really was a champ and reassured her he is there for her.

I enjoyed the Birthday party...it sermed very natural unlike other various MAFS shindigs haha. Lilly really was thoughtful and Tom was so happy and appeciative. It was cite when she sat on his lap. I liked the way the families got along and really seemed to.know each other.

With many of the ill fated couples over the various seasons it felt like they didnt really live together and any socialing with others was fake or drama.

I really like Tom and Lilly and hope they make it

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Stillhoping said:

Awww Snarklepuss...wishing you a super smooth and speedy recovery!

Re Lilly.... I do feel she has every right to worry...sometimes the logistics are overwhelming beyond the facts of surgery....like who will take care of Zues...when can I return to work...how will I manage a shower etc. Hard too cause her Mom is far away.

I thought Tom really was a champ and reassured her he is there for her.

I enjoyed the Birthday party...it sermed very natural unlike other various MAFS shindigs haha. Lilly really was thoughtful and Tom was so happy and appeciative. It was cite when she sat on his lap. I liked the way the families got along and really seemed to.know each other.

With many of the ill fated couples over the various seasons it felt like they didnt really live together and any socialing with others was fake or drama.

I really like Tom and Lilly and hope they make it

Agree. While I am still on the fence about them working out. It is nice to see how it goes so smoothly for them and how their friends/family get along so well. It did seem more natural than past things we have seen. All the stuff between Tres and Vanessa really come to mind as being producer driven and not natural. Yet this party for Tom wasn't over the top but just a small gathering of friends/family for his birthday. 

• Love 1

My theory about Nick isn't that he's gay.  It's that he's got some serious kinks, or might be a furry (plushie?).  Which, nothing wrong with that, but he's too embarrassed to admit it.  And when he uses terms like "significant other," it's because he doesn't want to say, "Mistress."    Hiding his kinks for a few weeks is stressing him out, and he's taking it out on Sonia.  If he could just spend a few hours locked in his cage with a ball gag in his mouth, he'd be a lot less moody.

Anyway, that's my theory, which is mine, and which is based on pretty much nothing.

• Love 9

Thanks everyone for all the good wishes.  I am tired all the time and mostly resting.  I wish I could participate more but it's hard with my left hand even with talk to text.  I wanted to agree with all the posts saying Nick went on the show to promote his business, but I don't even think that's the primary reason.  I think he wanted to prove to his mother that he wants to be married just to get her off his back/appease her.  I don't believe she is as much of a saint as we have seen on the show and she has probably put pressure on him to find a serious relationship. I can't shake the feeling that she is the overbearing type despite how the show has made her look.  Nick screams mommy issues to me.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Evil Queen said:

Agree. While I am still on the fence about them working out. It is nice to see how it goes so smoothly for them and how their friends/family get along so well. It did seem more natural than past things we have seen. All the stuff between Tres and Vanessa really come to mind as being producer driven and not natural. Yet this party for Tom wasn't over the top but just a small gathering of friends/family for his birthday. 

Tres to me never seemed as commited to the process or to Vanessa as he wanted to be or wanted to make it look like he was. He always gave me a weird vibe. Especially with that girl during their fourth of july party...it just seemed fishy for some reason but Tom (to me anyways) is a bit more genuine in the way he reacts to Lily. I can actually see a real connection between them that is not producer driven. 

On 25/09/2016 at 7:56 AM, film noire said:

"Come to Jesus, son!"

I just pictured this and I have to say it made me laugh out loud and want to grab a bucket lol 

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, Evil Queen said:

Its a fetish that some have. They dress in big furry costumes.......well you can look up about them online if you really want to know though. 

Lol...i never heard of such a thing. Thx!

A-googling I will go....

22 hours ago, MrHufflepuff said:

My theory about Nick isn't that he's gay.  It's that he's got some serious kinks, or might be a furry (plushie?).  Which, nothing wrong with that, but he's too embarrassed to admit it.  And when he uses terms like "significant other," it's because he doesn't want to say, "Mistress."    Hiding his kinks for a few weeks is stressing him out, and he's taking it out on Sonia.  If he could just spend a few hours locked in his cage with a ball gag in his mouth, he'd be a lot less moody.

Anyway, that's my theory, which is mine, and which is based on pretty much nothing.

ITA.  I suggested a possible fetish for Nick last week.  He might not be able to get aroused unless he's wearing women's panties, who knows?  Or forget "mistress", he doesn't want to say "dominatrix".

• Love 3

Derek is a nice guy, though he still acts a little like a 19 year old. I hope he finds someone to love. Heather seems to be in love with herself and her sophisticated career. That said, there must be a nice pilot out there for her!

On 9/21/2016 at 1:21 PM, Neurochick said:

I think Sonia could turn anybody into a jerk, make that Sonia + Producer manipulation.  If someone is on their computer and not saying anything, that means they want quiet.  Nothing jerky about wanting quiet sometimes. 

Where is Heather's family in all of this?  We saw Derrick's mother last night, what about Heather's family and friends?  I wonder what they think of all this.

Even if you find her annoying,  I don't think she could turn someone into a Jerk. She isn't a bad person hut apparently Nick is self-centered and not ready for marriage ,  especially not this kind.  He just wants to make out with his dogs. He  doesn't just eat quiet sometimes.  He has not acknowledged the effort that she has let forth with the dogs.  And takes every opportunity he can to put her down.  Saying he's not in love with her when that wasn't even a question . Saying he didn't want to accidentally touch her boob as if that was the worst thing he could do to his wife.  I can't stand him. He would make me turn into a Jerk. I find her to be annoying but I think she's nice.  And I think she honestly came on the show to find a partner . 

• Love 7
On 9/27/2016 at 8:00 PM, TheBride said:

I'm glad Sonja left, Nick is so empty...and so gay. She is a little mouse-like, but she's nice and really wants to be in love. Wrong guy, Sonja. Take off for good!!

I'm glad she left,  too. I don't know if he's gay but he's definitely into something and it ain't her. That's a deal breaker. He's not into her and he's not going to be.  I hope she doesn't return. If she works as hard at a relationship as she did with this train wreck,  she'll find love for sure. 

Edited by love2lovebadtv
  • Love 1

I feel bad for sonia now that we know they sex several times.. I wouldnt be able to sleep with him after what he said and acted ghats just gross what a turn off... I hope she is smart enough to tell him to take a hike but seeing how they she will not and forgive him....