Type keyword(s) to search

Melanie & Devar: Jamaican Me Crazy

• Start Topic

Melanie's son doesn't live with her? Yet, she had another baby?  Looks like the true Devar shows up next episode and he's a nasty drinker. Melanie's sister shouldn't get too comfortable with liking him too much. She may be changing her mind real soon. 

1 hour ago, Alonzo Mosely FBI said:

Dad drunk and caring for her with post c section Mom on pain pills and virtually immobile. And he is in charge of both of them? Drunk? Bad. 

Devar didn't know what the heck he was doing with that baby. Putting her on the kitchen counter and fumbling around trying to change her diaper. Jesus. What was Melanie thinking having a baby with him.

(edited)
On 7/15/2018 at 8:23 AM, RedheadZombie said:

If I recall correctly, I think Melanie has a significant case of rosacea.   I have a mild case, but my poor cousin is like Melanie, and I guess her skin can be described as "rough" even though she's only 28.

She's nowhere near 28. She's about 38 and older than Devar. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 7/13/2018 at 3:06 AM, spankydoll said:

Here as well. My DVR records a million of these episodes and I haven't seen this. 

Devar has a drinking problem!

Edited by Bou
20 minutes ago, jenifaohjenny said:

Wait...she moved away from her son? I hope that is not true. 

oh I didnt even think about that. again, not a big shock to me, but for some reason I have just never cared for her. Not crazy about her sister either.

• Love 4

Melanie revealed on one of the Facebook pages during their first season that she has Hunter(?) every other week during the summer and on weekends during the school year because her ex-husband's school is better for him. If she explained what she meant by that phrase, I missed it. It may just be a better school district or it could have specialized classes that the school near her didn't. The schools here in the US differ so greatly by the tax income they receive, even ones that are near each other. 

• Love 4

I always wonder how her husband felt about melanie constantly saying she wanted a “ father figure “ for her son. I think thats what ticked me off lol. Plus the fact she laughed about spending his college education to go see Devar and then needed to borrow money to have her wedding. I will say this , he is a very cute and good kid .

• Love 5
3 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

I always wonder how her husband felt about melanie constantly saying she wanted a “ father figure “ for her son. I think thats what ticked me off lol. Plus the fact she laughed about spending his college education to go see Devar and then needed to borrow money to have her wedding. I will say this , he is a very cute and good kid .

I always took it to be that she wanted him to have more male "influence" in his life.  We worked with a kid once through Big Brothers/Big Sisters whose mom greatly overstated his case and got him bumped to the head of the line, ahead of kids who had been waiting years.  The list of things we weren't allowed to talk to him about was 2 pages long.  She would often not let us go anywhere with him, preferring us to stay and play at their house, but playing meant watching the kid play.  We couldn't join in - either he didn't want us to, or they didn't have a 2nd video game controller, etc.  She would keep me in the kitchen with her, and let my husband go off with the kid to the living room, etc.  She finally let me know that she felt he was around too many women, and not enough men ,and felt he should be spending more time around men.  He was adopted (he knew he was adopted, but she forbade us from telling him that he was actually blood related - the unplanned child of a relative - I genuinely think that she thought if he knew that she knew his mother, he would want to go back to her), and took spoiled to the next level, and also took overprotective parenting to the next level.  She got upset once when her son told us that people at an amusement park assumed he was our son.  She grabbed him by the shoulders and said "Well, you can't have him!".  She said it half jokingly, but there was some desperation in her voice.  I tried to have sympathy, but in the end, it was pointless for us to continue on with her son.  He really didn't need the program and was taking a spot away from someone who really did.  Right as we were leaving the last time we saw him, she told me that some kids at school had asked him if he was gay, because of some of the TV shows he liked, and so she apparently wanted my husband to "man him up".  She also felt he wasn't active enough (but that was her fault, buying him video games, not allowing him to participate in sports for fear he'd get hurt, etc).  I went back to BB/BS and asked them to re-evaluate his case and see if he was really best served by the program, and they removed him.  Of course, his mom blamed us.  I see her occasionally when I'm out and about.  I don't acknowledge her, but she shoots daggers at me with her eyes.  So I always assumed that with Melanie it was similar.  She wanted her son to have more men in his life, for whatever reason. It's a common thing in this neck of the woods.

As for spending his college money, I always felt that might have been an exaggeration. I see tons of bumper stickers around here that say "I'm spending my kids inheritance".  I took it to mean something similar.  But I could be wrong.  I would hope she wouldn't be bragging about that.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, funky-rat said:

I always took it to be that she wanted him to have more male "influence" in his life.  We worked with a kid once through Big Brothers/Big Sisters whose mom greatly overstated his case and got him bumped to the head of the line, ahead of kids who had been waiting years.  The list of things we weren't allowed to talk to him about was 2 pages long.  She would often not let us go anywhere with him, preferring us to stay and play at their house, but playing meant watching the kid play.  We couldn't join in - either he didn't want us to, or they didn't have a 2nd video game controller, etc.  She would keep me in the kitchen with her, and let my husband go off with the kid to the living room, etc.  She finally let me know that she felt he was around too many women, and not enough men ,and felt he should be spending more time around men.  He was adopted (he knew he was adopted, but she forbade us from telling him that he was actually blood related - the unplanned child of a relative - I genuinely think that she thought if he knew that she knew his mother, he would want to go back to her), and took spoiled to the next level, and also took overprotective parenting to the next level.  She got upset once when her son told us that people at an amusement park assumed he was our son.  She grabbed him by the shoulders and said "Well, you can't have him!".  She said it half jokingly, but there was some desperation in her voice.  I tried to have sympathy, but in the end, it was pointless for us to continue on with her son.  He really didn't need the program and was taking a spot away from someone who really did.  Right as we were leaving the last time we saw him, she told me that some kids at school had asked him if he was gay, because of some of the TV shows he liked, and so she apparently wanted my husband to "man him up".  She also felt he wasn't active enough (but that was her fault, buying him video games, not allowing him to participate in sports for fear he'd get hurt, etc).  I went back to BB/BS and asked them to re-evaluate his case and see if he was really best served by the program, and they removed him.  Of course, his mom blamed us.  I see her occasionally when I'm out and about.  I don't acknowledge her, but she shoots daggers at me with her eyes.  So I always assumed that with Melanie it was similar.  She wanted her son to have more men in his life, for whatever reason. It's a common thing in this neck of the woods.

As for spending his college money, I always felt that might have been an exaggeration. I see tons of bumper stickers around here that say "I'm spending my kids inheritance".  I took it to mean something similar.  But I could be wrong.  I would hope she wouldn't be bragging about that.

Well saying on national tv over and over “ i want my son to have a father figure “ when the child already has a father is ridiculous and disrespectful, so we can agree to disagree on that . Maybe production encouraged her to say it, but She said it a lot. Between that and the bringing a stranger to live with her child, as many on this show do, just irks me. And i do find those bumper stickers funny!! I just don’t see the comparison. On national tv she joked about spending his college fund, and then complained about not being able to afford s nice wedding . I enjoy the train wreck quality of this show, but for some reason this part of it ( the way kids seem to be low priority for so many of the cast members ) really bothers me. But yet i watch!! 

• Love 8
12 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

Well saying on national tv over and over “ i want my son to have a father figure “ when the child already has a father is ridiculous and disrespectful, so we can agree to disagree on that . Maybe production encouraged her to say it, but She said it a lot. Between that and the bringing a stranger to live with her child, as many on this show do, just irks me. And i do find those bumper stickers funny!! I just don’t see the comparison. On national tv she joked about spending his college fund, and then complained about not being able to afford s nice wedding . I enjoy the train wreck quality of this show, but for some reason this part of it ( the way kids seem to be low priority for so many of the cast members ) really bothers me. But yet i watch!! 

To me it was just semantics, but to each their own.  Schuylkill County is it's own world, and I don't pretend to understand it.  I have been to the pizza place that Devar was at with Bev.  It's quite good - and I'm not big on pizza.  I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head.  It's been a while since I've been there.  Eons ago, my husband sold tires in that area.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I’m very knew to the 90 day franchise- can someone give me the low down on this couple? Are they going to be on the next season of Happily Ever After?

Melanie and Devar were on the original 90 Day Fiance. She met him while holidaying in Jamaica. She spent upwards of $40,000 on trips and the K1 process. She jokingly mentioned that she blew her son's university fund. She made--29 trips there or somewhere in that range. At that time, she was divorced and only had custody of her son, Hunter, on the weekends. Devar worked at a resort or something like that, and they hit it off. Melanie's sister, Bev, always saying things like he was just after a green card, and she was just an instigator as a whole. There was a slight issue regarding how much money he wanted to send home, but I think they got it squared away.

I know Devar went to school/training for something after getting his green card. He had to spend time away from home for the programme. They had a baby in November 2017. Devar seemed pretty cool and got on well with her son, but as evidenced by the last appearance on What Now, he was clearly drunk and a mess. The messed up part is that was like four or five days after the birth of their daughter. 

• Love 5

I always took the "father figure" part to mean she wanted him to have a relationship with her son.  I have lots of friends whose parents are divorced and they have a father-child type relationship with both their fathers and step-fathers.

The money part, who knows?  So much stuff is fake on this show to bring the "drama" that having to borrow money for the wedding could have easily been an invention for the show to go along with the big issue of Devar sending money back home.

I was hoping this couple would go off and live a nice, normal life, but the fact that they are coming back on the show for "What Now?" tells me they are more interested in the "fame" than building a life together.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, EllaDisco said:

I always took the "father figure" part to mean she wanted him to have a relationship with her son.  I have lots of friends whose parents are divorced and they have a father-child type relationship with both their fathers and step-fathers.

The money part, who knows?  So much stuff is fake on this show to bring the "drama" that having to borrow money for the wedding could have easily been an invention for the show to go along with the big issue of Devar sending money back home.

I was hoping this couple would go off and live a nice, normal life, but the fact that they are coming back on the show for "What Now?" tells me they are more interested in the "fame" than building a life together.

Yeah there is a lot of fake drama and “ storylines” but i just can’t believe Hunters dad was ok with the repeated “ father figure “ which suggests the absence of one. I hope it works out for them since they are 2 minors involved and a bitchy sister but i was surprised to see them on tv as well. I’m going to fast forward through their parts ?

On 7/16/2018 at 1:21 PM, Horrified said:

So Melanie is recovering from a c-section?  How long does recovery take?  That baby looked a lot older than a newborn. 

Recovery takes months.

The baby was 4 days old in that scene, per Melanie's TH

That baby looked a lot older than a newborn. 

Yeah, she looks amazing. Beautiful. On the one hand, the show could be lying about when the scene was shot and maybe she was older. On the other. I read that sometimes babies born by C-section look more perfect in the first few days because their skulls don't get compressed during delivery.

• Love 1
(edited)

This one with Devar really bugged me - I thought they would be a couple who made it.  When Devar was shown slurring and forgetting the question, I thought:  "Well he is just sleep deprived!!"  Then.....out comes the drinking.  On camera.  Then the threats:  "Well maybe I will just head back to Jamaica."  Personally, I would have made the following a condition of marrying him:  "Look we are gonna have rough patches but none of this threatening to go back to Jamaica every damn time we have a fight.  Are you in or out?"  Then again look at who we are dealing with....

Oh Bev - take your Marlboro 100's and whiskey stained voice home.  No one wants to listen to you, ever.

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

This one with Devar really bugged me - I thought they would be a couple who made it.  When Devar was shown slurring and forgetting the question, I thought:  "Well he is just sleep deprived!!"  Then.....out comes the drinking.  On camera.  Then the threats:  "Well maybe I will just head back to Jamaica."  Personally, I would have made the following a condition of marrying him:  "Look we are gonna have rough patches but none of this threatening to go back to Jamaica every damn time we have a fight.  Are you in or out?"  Then again look at who we are dealing with....

Oh Bev - take your Marlboro 100's and whiskey stained voice home.  No one wants to listen to you, ever.

Sorry doll.  Bev makes for some great TV!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, spankydoll said:

Sorry doll.  Bev makes for some great TV!

Apologies accepted - I hear you and I do agree, It is her constant butting in that gets me but I hear ya - she does make for great tv.

• Love 1

Melanie has done something with her hair.  Or maybe prenatal vitamins did something to her hair.  It is thick and healthy and fabulous!

Devar  (when they were seated on the couch) seemed to be struggling with more than alcohol.  Not sleep deprivation either.  He wasn’t drowsy, he was lit.  Completely babbling.  I can’t remember what I was taking (legally, prescribed) that made me into a babbling fool - I was going on and on about making chairs out of ice cream cones and how those little girls couldn’t sing so good.  Made for some interesting blackmail video.  Devar reminded me A LOT of me in that video.  I don’t think it was straight alcohol, although alcohol was clearly playing a part.

Sorry, Devar, I like your sassy cheek but this is NOT cool.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 7/25/2018 at 12:57 AM, bichonblitz said:

Well, well. Devar is a mean drunk. I never liked or trusted that slick SOB. Why in hell did Melanie ever think having a baby with this jerk was a good idea? 

From what I saw, he’s not a mean drunk, just obnoxious.  But I have been around drunks that beat their wives, so my definition is on another extreme. 

• Love 4
(edited)
On 7/16/2018 at 2:21 PM, Horrified said:

So Melanie is recovering from a c-section?  How long does recovery take?  That baby looked a lot older than a newborn. 

I had two vaginal births and then a C-section. The first takes about six weeks to recover, the second twelve. But I could walk from the day I left hospital, which was a couple days after I gave birth, so I was a little perplexed that Melanie couldn’t move.

Edited by Real Eyes
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Real Eyes said:

From what I saw, he’s not a mean drunk, just obnoxious.  But I have been around drunks that beat their wives, so my definition is on another extreme. 

Does he have to beat her in order to be mean otherwise he's just obnoxious? Wow. Ok.

I didn’t find him to be mean. Just obnoxious. He said he couldn’t wait to have sex. Not mean. He said he wanted to return to Jamaica as he wasn’t respected. Not mean. 

What was all this mean behavior?

• Love 5

my take was Bev was jelous on some level--Mel was getting some action and is much more attractive than her sister. Plus I think production prodded her, maybe with booze :)

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Real Eyes said:

I had two vaginal births and then a C-section. The first takes about six weeks to recover, the second twelve. But I could walk from the day I left hospital, which was a couple days after I gave birth, so I was a little perplexed that Melanie couldn’t move.

Some C-sections are more complicated. And Melanie was 38 iirc.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

my take was Bev was jelous on some level--Mel was getting some action and is much more attractive than her sister. Plus I think production prodded her, maybe with booze :)

yes! LOL!  I totally think the sister is a mix of worried/protective/jealous that her little sis got a hot jamaican boy toy.

• Love 2
On 7/28/2018 at 11:35 AM, Happyfatchick said:

Melanie has done something with her hair.  Or maybe prenatal vitamins did something to her hair.  It is thick and healthy and fabulous!

Probably due to her just having a baby. Women don't drop any hair when they are pregnant, but a month or 3 afterwards, it all starts falling. Ask me how I know!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, BabyDaddy said:

yes! LOL!  I totally think the sister is a mix of worried/protective/jealous that her little sis got a hot jamaican boy toy.

Plus maybe Melanie needed help with her son or was semi-dependent on Bev emotionally and now Devar fills that need?  Why do I care?

Yeah, I'd been giving Devar the benefit of the doubt based on his engagement with Melanie's son, etc. But you get wasted (on whatever substance) when you have a newborn in the house and your wife is recovering from surgery? You're dead to me.

• Love 1
On 8/19/2019 at 2:44 PM, ALittleShelfish said:

Since it's been a year now since these kids have been relevant... And I'm over an hour away from where they live (I'm guessing, I have no idea where Orwigsburg is), look what shows up as an ad when I open my browser!

Hm. What's Devar doing now?

Screenshot (2).png

Orwigsburg is by Hamburg, Schuylkill Haven, Pottsville, etc.  Right by where 78 crosses 61.  Right near Cabela's, and that shopping center next to it.  They bought their rings at a jewelry store in that shopping complex.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, ALittleShelfish said:

Thanks, @funky-rat!  I've been here 10 years and my PA geography is still so bad.  I know that Cabela's well - now i have a good frame of reference! Thanks!

NP.  Most people know where that Cabela's is, even if they don't shop there (I've never set foot in it, but I know where it is 😉).  I live about 1.5 hours north.

• Love 3
On 10/8/2019 at 3:41 PM, funky-rat said:

Orwigsburg is by Hamburg, Schuylkill Haven, Pottsville, etc.  Right by where 78 crosses 61.  Right near Cabela's, and that shopping center next to it.  They bought their rings at a jewelry store in that shopping complex.

so what are we looking at-is there an ad for devar working?

• Love 1
13 hours ago, mayvenne said:

🙂 thanks for the geography incentive. I too am new to the area and just looked it up. It's "only" about 80 miles from me but looking at the map, and seeing it on the tv, it is light years from where I reside.

It's in the middle of nowhere, and there's really nothing there worth going there for.  😕

On 10/11/2019 at 2:58 AM, silverspoons said:

That is what I wondered. I thought they lived in Florida now?

LOL no, it was just a random ad on my screen.   Somehow cookies or whatever thinks I live in/near Orwigsville.  (I really don't.)

Yet I live near Ashley/Jay/Nakyia(sp?)/probably someone else I'm forgetting and yet my computer never gives me any of THOSE people to go stalk.... lol

• Love 2
On 10/14/2019 at 11:22 AM, ALittleShelfish said:

LOL no, it was just a random ad on my screen.   Somehow cookies or whatever thinks I live in/near Orwigsville.  (I really don't.)

Yet I live near Ashley/Jay/Nakyia(sp?)/probably someone else I'm forgetting and yet my computer never gives me any of THOSE people to go stalk.... lol

Do they consider you close enough to Frederick to consider stalking Tiffany? Though in my current binge-watch-while-knitting of TOW (about halfway through), she and Ronald are so inoffensive I wonder why they even earned a spot? (Plus, Daniel is my favorite 90DF kid yet). 

PS Have the Arizona requests for tickets to the WS started coming yet?