Type keyword(s) to search

Melanie & Devar: Jamaican Me Crazy

• Start Topic

Discuss Melanie and Devar here.

Melanie, 33, and Devar, 28, met while Melanie was on vacation in Jamaica at a beach resort where Devar worked as a lifeguard. Devar will be leaving his country for the first time ever to live with Melanie and her eleven year-old son in a very conservative town. Melanie’s family is concerned about Devar’s true intentions, while Melanie worries Devar will return home since his family has always been financially supported by him.

...in a very conservative town.

Oh, god. That's an understatement. Orwigsburg is in the same county where some members of the high school football team beat an immigrant to death not ten years ago... and then members of the local police department were convicted on federal charges for trying to cover it up. There's a lot of layers of *ick* factor with this one.

• Love 7

That's the closest any of these people have been to me.  Orwigsburg is down in the "Skook" - Coal Country.  That's a whole other world, so this should be interesting.  A foreign person of color will attract a lot of attention in that area.  It's about an hour from me, and the last time I was in that area, I stopped at Renningers - a dumpy flea market.  My husband wanted a Super Nintendo game, so he hit up their skeevey ATM for $10.  An hour later the bank called - someone tried to use his card to purchase $1500 worth of stuff from Toys R Us.

• Love 2

I can't stand Melanie.  She seems like one of those women who thinks that every man under the sun has to be in love with her.  Maybe it's because she works out every day, maybe she has a better figure than most of her friends and family, I don't know.  Why in the hell would she want to marry a guy like Devar who said he's supporting his family in Jamaica?  That's a huge red flag because if he gets a job he'll end up sending most of his money to them.  Melanie has a son.  Why put a child through this mess?  

She should just continue to go to Jamaica, see Devar and sleep with him.  She said he asked her to marry him.  He wants to come to the USA; but Melanie probably thought it was because she's so awesome that he asked her to marry him.  What a delusional woman!  She's Dani 2.0.  I hope I'm wrong.  

• Love 11

IMHO, Dani was countless orders of magnitude worse than Melanie. I mean, Melanie has some education and a real job and the ability to clothe her child. (And an IQ above room temperature, but I digress.) She also has what appears in previews to be some physical chemistry with her fiance. Don't get me wrong -- I think he's hopping on a gravy train -- but he appears to actually be enjoying the ride. She's not my cup of tea, but it's no stretch to imagine that a hot Jamaican dude would find a blonde, athletic MILF to be a fun lay. I bet she's a screamer.

• Love 12

IMHO, Dani was countless orders of magnitude worse than Melanie. I mean, Melanie has some education and a real job and the ability to clothe her child. (And an IQ above room temperature, but I digress.) She also has what appears in previews to be some physical chemistry with her fiance. Don't get me wrong -- I think he's hopping on a gravy train -- but he appears to actually be enjoying the ride. She's not my cup of tea, but it's no stretch to imagine that a hot Jamaican dude would find a blonde, athletic MILF to be a fun lay. I bet she's a screamer.

This is true, I think that Mo would have been over the moon if he met Melanie.  I do however, think she is a butterface, and that hairdo in her TH doesn't help.

I will say that I find it odd that she mentions their initial attraction was physical (which is totally fine) and that they spent the next 10 days together, but I don't remember her saying much about his personality or his quirks, or sense of humor or anything else besides his body that would make her so over the moon for him.  

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 6

I really wonder how many other american women on vacation Devar has proposed to.  It's got to be dozens before he found one who would be delusional enough to accept.  

That's why I said Melanie is Dani 2.0.  Sure she looks better than Dani, she has a better job than Dani and seems better educated; but she's just as much of a fool as Dani and I think Melanie fancies herself as hot stuff the same way Dani (IMO) did.  

I'm sure Devar has proposed to nearly every American or European woman he's met in Jamaica, Dan...I mean Melanie was probably the first one to accept.  

• Love 2

If She is a screamer could Explain the annoying fried vocals. I'll be monitoring that and report back :-)

Her bossy bitchy arrogant attitude with a definite but so far baseless superiority complex mixed with the need to control is gonna wear on me.

• Love 3

This woman scares me, in that she's a nurse, who makes her living taking care of people and holds their lives in her hands, based upon how she acts and her decisions.  She seems like some party girl who is going through a second childhood or something. Her comment about, "the first time I saw him, I noticed he took care of himself."  How cringeworthy is that?  Superficial, much? It's plain her attraction to him was the shape of his body, and nothing substantial.

And him, making comments to her son about covering people on their birthday with eggs and flour, or whatever it was....you can tell this guy has absolutely NO idea how to relate to kids, and what is appropriate, and what isn't...or, perhaps, he and mama shared that wild side while she was on vacation, so he thinks nothing of it  - thinks she's always like she was on vacay.

Train wreck.

Edited by OhioMom
  • Love 1

I don't follow any of these couples on FB as I don't have one so I only go by what the show gives me and I really don't see this ending well for Melanie. I bet the sex is great though and that contributed to her falling for Devar so quickly.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 1

Just so everyone knows... the little ritual Devar was describing to Mel's son was not rated X. They actually throw flour on the the birthday person followed by eggs. 

Flouring

The tradition may have started as a schoolboy prank, but its popularity spread across the island like wildfire. Whether you are 9 or 99, no-one is immune the birthday tradition of Flouring. Loved ones buy bags of flour  and spend days devising cunning ways to liberally throw the stuff on you, the unsuspecting victim. It isn't uncommon for crafty relatives to top off your 'Flour Shower' with a liquid of some kind, resulting in you being covered in a sticky mess of floury goo. The nanosecond that the calendar lands on your big day, you'll spend the entire time figuring out this year's attack plan.

The tradition isn't meant to be evil; in fact, it's a great way to have a belly full of laughs with your loved ones.

• Love 8

Just so everyone knows... the little ritual Devar was describing to Mel's son was not rated X. They actually throw flour on the the birthday person followed by eggs. 

Flouring

The tradition may have started as a schoolboy prank, but its popularity spread across the island like wildfire. Whether you are 9 or 99, no-one is immune the birthday tradition of Flouring. Loved ones buy bags of flour  and spend days devising cunning ways to liberally throw the stuff on you, the unsuspecting victim. It isn't uncommon for crafty relatives to top off your 'Flour Shower' with a liquid of some kind, resulting in you being covered in a sticky mess of floury goo. The nanosecond that the calendar lands on your big day, you'll spend the entire time figuring out this year's attack plan.

The tradition isn't meant to be evil; in fact, it's a great way to have a belly full of laughs with your loved ones.

It does sort of sound like a prank way of making a birthday cake.  And honestly, it sounds like the sort of thing a pre-teen, or teenage boy would find hilarious.

• Love 4

Well, I'll be darned. Devar seems like a good person. He's so attached to his family, and he seemed genuinely invested in connecting with Melanie's loved ones. He sure doesn't know much about the outside world, though...not a good statement about education in Jamaica.

I don't think it's shallow to notice someone's body first when you meet them. How can you notice something deep when you haven't even spoken to someone yet? It's shallow to marry them when you don't have much else to bond over, but of course many relationships start with attraction.

• Love 5

Well, I'll be darned. Devar seems like a good person. He's so attached to his family, and he seemed genuinely invested in connecting with Melanie's loved ones. He sure doesn't know much about the outside world, though...not a good statement about education in Jamaica.

I don't think it's shallow to notice someone's body first when you meet them. How can you notice something deep when you haven't even spoken to someone yet? It's shallow to marry them when you don't have much else to bond over, but of course many relationships start with attraction.

True.  It's just shallow to gush on a television program about how all you noticed was their sexy body. If a man did that, we'd call him all kinds of an objectifying pig.

• Love 1

This woman strikes me as odd. The episode 2 thread (so no spoilers) states that she went to Jamaica 10 times in 16 months, with the longest trip being 10 days.  She lives in PA.... just how much money did she spend over time on these trips?  She only has her son on weekends, so presumably works during the week.  So when did she take these trips? Every single weekend that she did NOT have her son?  Did she use every single vacation day she had, so no vacations with her son? Does she have no other life?    

Not seeing this end well... yes they may actually get married, they may even stay married for longer than a year or 2.  However, I got a feeling son and fiancée won't always get along all that well as the son grows up. Living in PA is a lot different than dating on a beach in Jamaica. 

• Love 1

This woman strikes me as odd. The episode 2 thread (so no spoilers) states that she went to Jamaica 10 times in 16 months, with the longest trip being 10 days.  She lives in PA.... just how much money did she spend over time on these trips?  She only has her son on weekends, so presumably works during the week.  So when did she take these trips? Every single weekend that she did NOT have her son?  Did she use every single vacation day she had, so no vacations with her son? Does she have no other life?   

And why not take the son on one of those trips?  Shouldn't she have seen if the two got along before agreeing to marry him?  How the hell do you get engaged to someone without introducing them to your kid?

• Love 1

I think Dewar is really sweet and laid back. = good guy

I feel sorry for him with the miserable winter coming up...what a shock that will be. I live in Florida and I could never go back to Pa. LOL

I think Melanie is too intense and too insistent to make him an instant father figure which is odd since the kid has a dad who he apparently lives with much of the time? I mean if dad was outta their lives or had died...that might be different...but this is just odd.

I think eventually he will get tired of her overbearing ways JMO...but maybe that will happen after he gets the green card?

I'm not a fan of this couple but I'd like to say that I saw Melanie post on FB that she shares custody with her ex; one week her son is with her, the next week he's with him.  So apparently she doesn't have her son only on the weekends.

I see your point, that she could go to Jamaica on her 'off' weeks from her son.  However, that still means she spent a bunch of money to go to Jamaica 10 times in less than a year and a half, and that she most likely used all her vacation time to do so, leaving none for time with her son. Nurses make good money, but they are not independently wealthy, nor do they have unlimited vacation time.  I would also speculate that since they share custody time 50/50, that there is not a lot of child support coming her way.  She's already spent a ton of money towards some pretty beach boy, who won't like living in land-locked, seasonally cold, snowy PA. He's not going to understand why he can't visit his family on a continuing basis every couple of months, given the frequency that she came to Jamaica to see him.

Also, given that her ex has custody 50% of the time, he is a father figure.  She acts as if her son has no male influence in his life.  None - she never says her son needs a GREAT or GOOD father figure, just that she wants Devar to be a father figure . She's living in dream world.  Her son is not going to consider Devar to be his Dad, not at this age, and not if he sees his Dad just as often as he sees Devar. 

• Love 3

Nurses don't always make good money...... trust me I was shocked when I learned how much my friend's sister does NOT make.  I thought she was sitting pretty since they have a new house, lots of fancy stuff and basically supporting her husband and kid for a few years while her husband also got his nursing degree. 

Although it looks like she lives in an apartment complex so she might be saving a lot of money that way.

But I also thought the amount of trips to Jamaica was a little weird. 

Melanie's son is adorable. Devar seems like a good guy.it's nice that he is spending time with her son and seems to like him.

Hunter seems like a good, well adjusted kid.  I do hope that Melanie and Devar work because it would be hard for Hunter to really like Devar and than have him go away.  I mean, Hunter already has a father in his life, but I think it would still be rough.

Nurses don't always make good money...... trust me I was shocked when I learned how much my friend's sister does NOT make.  I thought she was sitting pretty since they have a new house, lots of fancy stuff and basically supporting her husband and kid for a few years while her husband also got his nursing degree. 

Although it looks like she lives in an apartment complex so she might be saving a lot of money that way.

But I also thought the amount of trips to Jamaica was a little weird. 

If she was able to support her husband and kid and afford a new house and fancy stuff that does sound like she makes at least a pretty good living.  I know people live beyond their means, but you're normally not able to go that far unless you have a good and pretty steady income.

• Love 1

Hunter seems like a good, well adjusted kid.  I do hope that Melanie and Devar work because it would be hard for Hunter to really like Devar and than have him go away.  I mean, Hunter already has a father in his life, but I think it would still be rough.

If she was able to support her husband and kid and afford a new house and fancy stuff that does sound like she makes at least a pretty good living.  I know people live beyond their means, but you're normally not able to go that far unless you have a good and pretty steady income.

It's called credit cards and loans.  You can live well above your means for quite awhile before it catches up to you - I know plenty of people who have gone through bankruptcy and those were years in the making.  Their time is coming I'm sure... She only makes about $30k.  

unless they have some secret side job no one else in their family knows about lol

It's called credit cards and loans.  You can live well above your means for quite awhile before it catches up to you - I know plenty of people who have gone through bankruptcy and those were years in the making.  Their time is coming I'm sure... She only makes about $30k.  

unless they have some secret side job no one else in their family knows about lol

In this day and age getting a credit card and loans can only help you go to so far above your income.  If you're working at McDonalds and making minimum wage no one is trying to extend you a $25,000 line of credit on a card because you aren't a good credit risk for that type of money.  Even in this day and age of easy credit.  

The point being that you have to have the base income to really be able to borrow a lot of money and get credit for that much money.  

30k in a certain area is a good amount of money and if her job is stable and has the potential for income growth (being a nurse does) than she may be a worthy credit risk.  Further, if you're relying on her telling you her income she may not have wanted to share how much she is making.  And 30k may not account for things like money put into retirement or a 401k which can be taken before taxes.  

A RN in PA only makes $30,000?  Wow!  The base starting salary for a RN in NYC is $56,000; with overtime the sky is the limit.  But then again, the cost of living is much higher. 

Edited by Adeejay
  • Love 2

In this day and age getting a credit card and loans can only help you go to so far above your income.  If you're working at McDonalds and making minimum wage no one is trying to extend you a $25,000 line of credit on a card because you aren't a good credit risk for that type of money.  Even in this day and age of easy credit.  

The point being that you have to have the base income to really be able to borrow a lot of money and get credit for that much money.  

30k in a certain area is a good amount of money and if her job is stable and has the potential for income growth (being a nurse does) than she may be a worthy credit risk.  Further, if you're relying on her telling you her income she may not have wanted to share how much she is making.  And 30k may not account for things like money put into retirement or a 401k which can be taken before taxes.  

holy cow I didn't mean to make an argument out of this.  lol   This info is coming from her sister whom she is VERY close with. I am close friends with her sister. And the only reason this info all came out is because she was discussing her sister possibly getting divorced and not be able to afford living on her own. 

A RN in PA only makes $30,000?  Wow!  The base starting salary for a RN in NYC is $56,000; with overtime the sky is the limit.  But then again, the cost of living is much higher. 

noooooo I am not in PA, I am in the midwest.

MY WHOLE POINT was that you can't assume nurses make a ton of money because not all of them do. 

• Love 1

Folks, you're all way off base. Melanie posted in the 90-Day Fiance forum on Facebook that she's some type of manager or director in the healthcare industry. I don't remember her exact job title, but I think it's beyond regular nursing. 

• Love 5

My little sister lives in PA and just got her first nursing job and she is making $60K/yr plus they pay back her loans I believe. My other sister was a nurse (but is a stay at home mom now) and made up to $80K with overtime. And my mom is a nurse and now a CNO (likely similar to what Melanie does as she is some sort of director as cookdelight mentioned) and she makes well into 6 figures. I don't mean to go way off topic here but I think there may be some confusion between LPN nurses who may only make around $30K-40K and RN's and nurse practitoners who make a lot more.

Edited by GracieK
  • Love 3

Folks, you're all way off base. Melanie posted in the 90-Day Fiance forum on Facebook that she's some type of manager or director in the healthcare industry. I don't remember her exact job title, but I think it's beyond regular nursing. 

Which confuses me because she should be able to afford her own rings in that case. Right?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Which confuses me because she should be able to afford her own rings in that case. Right?

Remember she is also supporting a man who can not work for a few months who came with only about 23 kilos of clothes

LOL, I have no idea what her salary is, there have been different things posted in the 90-Day FB page about them (one from someone who says they are a family member)... regardless, her parents buying them their rings is weird unless it's a wedding present. And if so, she should have said something to that effect so we all wouldn't be speculating like crazy. Or she did and TLC decided to leave that tidbit out. But you'd think she'd say something on social media if true.

LOL, I have no idea what her salary is, there have been different things posted in the 90-Day FB page about them (one from someone who says they are a family member)... regardless, her parents buying them their rings is weird unless it's a wedding present. And if so, she should have said something to that effect so we all wouldn't be speculating like crazy. Or she did and TLC decided to leave that tidbit out. But you'd think she'd say something on social media if true.

So there is no confidentiality agreement preventing couples from doctoring the story that TLC doctored for the broadcast?

• LOL 1

Devar's relationship with his mom seemed off to me. Contrast it with the outpouring of emotion he got at the send-off from his family members in Jamaica. Everyone seemed deeply attached and warm to one another. If my mom gets to see me after a 9-month separation, she's grinning from ear to ear and can't stop touching my hair, etc. Even if she's not thrilled about my choice of fiancee, she'd be thrilled to see me and over the moon that I was moving within a day-trip's distance from her. Something's weird there.

• Love 2

Devar's relationship with his mom seemed off to me. Contrast it with the outpouring of emotion he got at the send-off from his family members in Jamaica. Everyone seemed deeply attached and warm to one another. If my mom gets to see me after a 9-month separation, she's grinning from ear to ear and can't stop touching my hair, etc. Even if she's not thrilled about my choice of fiancee, she'd be thrilled to see me and over the moon that I was moving within a day-trip's distance from her. Something's weird there.

The Hawthorne effect, you have real lives with camera crews stuck in their faces. Not everybody can deal with it like a Kardashian.

• Love 4