Type keyword(s) to search

Melanie & Devar: Jamaican Me Crazy

• Start Topic

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 11:43 AM, Verojama said:

i wonder if melanie had got that prenup?

Whoopi Goldberg told Oprah that her second husband - a native of Holland - received a house and "a truck load of cash" in their divorce settlement.  When Oprah inquired as to how she allowed this to happen, Whoopi explained that it was the law.  INS doesn't recognize stipulations of divorce, so prenups are not allowed in green card marriages. 

• Useful 1
17 hours ago, Adeejay said:

Whoopi Goldberg told Oprah that her second husband - a native of Holland - received a house and "a truck load of cash" in their divorce settlement.  When Oprah inquired as to how she allowed this to happen, Whoopi explained that it was the law.  INS doesn't recognize stipulations of divorce, so prenups are not allowed in green card marriages. 

thats so interesting! I just remember that nite that Bev (lol love that woman!) was grilling Devar (who by the way, stayed cool as could be god love him) and melanie said "maybe I need to consider that prenup". I guess the show is quite fake since thats not even allowed. wow. Its funny, as aggravating as I find Melanie, I find myself rooting her --girl is focused on what she wants and by god she makes it happen!!!!

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Prenups are not allowed? What about that past season with Mark?

Maybe there's a window of time that if the marriage fails before a certain time the prenup is null and void wrt to INS. I think this is because the petitioner can't leave the immigrant husband or wife destitute or vice versa. Might also depend on the content of the prenup. If there's a provision that is generous, perhaps not. But the piece of crap Mark bulldozed Nikki into signing, I hope she takes him to the cleaners. For the way he's treated her already, she's earned every penny of it.

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Total cutoff's as in you get nothing if I kick you out are not allowed. Well they are allowed, however if the cutoff immigrant spouse turns to the state for public assistance and then the government gets involved to tax the petitioner who gave an affidavit promising that his spouse would not become a welfare case. In the end if Nikki or Moe showed up for food stamps then the US government has a contract with Mark or Danielle saying that they will be billed by the state to recoup the cost.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Mark wasn't allowed to get a prenup, that's why he was so adamant that Nicki sign a document giving up her rights to his assets in the event of a divorce.  

Melanie has a home.  She also seems to earn a decent salary.  If their union were to fail, I don't believe she would lose her home, however, she would probably have to pay spousal support. 

Edited by Adeejay

Devar is a charmer. He's a fit and strapping younger man. I really hope he's been honest with Mel about who he is and his intentions. It seems like a good faith marriage thus far on both sides, but we only get to see what we get to see on TLC and what they choose to share on SM.

• Love 3
On 10/5/2016 at 9:27 AM, Arwen Evenstar said:

Devar is a charmer. He's a fit and strapping younger man. I really hope he's been honest with Mel about who he is and his intentions. It seems like a good faith marriage thus far on both sides, but we only get to see what we get to see on TLC and what they choose to share on SM.

it seems that men from the west indies are always so so charming...I worked with a guy from St Lucia and he used so many of the same expressions Devar uses "lovely lady, most definitely" and of course the accent. Devar is totally charming! I did not find him attractive at first but now I get such a kick out of his pleasant demeanor that i find myself really liking him.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

it seems that men from the west indies are always so so charming...I worked with a guy from St Lucia and he used so many of the same expressions Devar uses "lovely lady, most definitely" and of course the accent. Devar is totally charming! I did not find him attractive at first but now I get such a kick out of his pleasant demeanor that i find myself really liking him.

I hate saying this, but Devar is such an affable young man, my impression is (I could be wrong) that Melanie had to be fairly aggressive to pin him down, thus the 20 trips to jamaica.....I think things will work out for them fine, she just has to accept that she is the breadwinner and the agressor and there really is nothing wrong with that, as long as everyone in her family is happy.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

I hate saying this, but Devar is such an affable young man, my impression is (I could be wrong) that Melanie had to be fairly aggressive to pin him down, thus the 20 trips to jamaica.....I think things will work out for them fine, she just has to accept that she is the breadwinner and the agressor and there really is nothing wrong with that, as long as everyone in her family is happy.

She had to go to Jamaica like 20 times because it was likely easier for her to come to Devar rather than the other way around.  Mel strikes me as an alpha female who goes after what she wants. Nothing wrong with that, as long as everyone is happy and the arrangement and dynamics work for everyone involved.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, Major Bigtime said:

She spent way, way more money than I ever would to pin someone down. That's desperation in my book.

yep. and she admitted on Dr Phil she made him stop working as a lifeguard several months before the show aired because she was paranoid....but again, it s working for her so who are we to say differently?? maybe the pickings are that slim where she lives...

• Love 1
6 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

And men don't often do the same for women?

That is why they are still called "mail order brides" when no order or payment was made to anybody.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Next week's previews leave us with the impression that Mel is about to get disrespected. I hope she stands her ground and Devar backs her up. 

I was really surprised that Devar's sister basically said, "I'm not working. Not gonna work. How about a handout?"  

Melanie was like, "I worked and went to school."

She said, "This is Jamaica."

Well, other countries they work and go to school, too.

Then the sister took the money without so much as a thank you like she was irritated that Mel wasn't quick enough to give it over? WTF???

Devar's like, "But Mel, what if she needs some money?"

Well, handsome, then maybe she'll think, gee, I should get a JOB. And maybe she'll be thinking that she should have been a little nicer to MELANIE.

You want to be kind to someone. And you want to form a relationship with someone. I'm sure Melanie wants to make them her family, too! But you don't to give all your money to someone who treats you like crap.

Edited by CoachWristletJen
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, CoachWristletJen said:

Devar's like, "But Mel, what if she needs some money?"

Well, handsome, then maybe she'll think, gee, I should get a JOB. And maybe she'll be thinking that she should have been a little nicer to MELANIE.

You want to be kind to someone. And you want to form a relationship with someone. I'm sure Melanie wants to make them her family, too! But you don't to give all your money to someone who treats you like crap.

I agree with others that this is his culture & he's expected to help his sisters, however, I also think the sisters might be seeing their brother having married an American being their ticket to never having to actually work , as in - SHE can support us now.

Edited by gonecrackers
clarifications
  • Love 4
On 10/11/2016 at 9:13 AM, gonecrackers said:

I agree with others that this is his culture & he's expected to help his sisters, however, I also think the sisters might be seeing their brother having married an American being their ticket to never having to actually work , as in - SHE can support us now.

Mel's a Sugar Mama, and I hope she fully realizes that. An awful lot of men do exactly what she did - go to another country and essentially pay for what they want, as in a hotter mate than they could hope to get here. The ones who pay seem to think that the partner will be so grateful for the chance to live in America that that will be enough - but don't realize that it never, ever is.

I've seen this with a couple of men I know first-hand. Sure, you pay at first, but it doesn't stop there like they think it will. You have to keep paying and paying and paying - and you *especially* have to pay for your partner's family. Usually that means paying to bring them to America, too, and keeping them here, but sometimes - as with Devar's relatives - you have to pay to support them in their own country.

That's why I call this show "90-Day Financial." In cases like this one, it's all about the money - this is a business deal, not a romance. And the U.S. people almost never understand that until it's far too late.

• Love 13

Mel may not be "the fairest in the land",but she rocks what she's got, and she's not so homely that she can't get a good looking boyfriend here, either. She's got a slamming figure and she takes care of herself. 

I don't like the arrogance of his sisters either, but in their defense, if Jamaica is modeled after the British education system, you just can't show up to any school you please and get in---like you can at most 2 year colleges and trade schools here, where all you need is a pen and the tuition.  

It's an island nation, where there are only so many jobs to begin with per square meter and there's a huge underbelly there, once one gets away from the resort areas.

• Love 8
On 10/12/2016 at 11:48 AM, okerry said:

Mel's a Sugar Mama, and I hope she fully realizes that. An awful lot of men do exactly what she did - go to another country and essentially pay for what they want, as in a hotter mate than they could hope to get here. The ones who pay seem to think that the partner will be so grateful for the chance to live in America that that will be enough - but don't realize that it never, ever is.

I dont think Melanie has any issue with this at all.

Edited by Drogo
EDITED BY MOD: Quote formatting.
  • Love 1

Devar's older sisters appear to be doing very well, so I don't understand why they need his financial help or why they can't help Punkeshar.  I hope that when Mel sees the video of them laughing at the "fooley whyte oman", she comes to her senses. 

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

Devar's older sisters appear to be doing very well, so I don't understand why they need his financial help or why they can't help Punkeshar.  I hope that when Mel sees the video of them laughing at the "fooley whyte oman", she comes to her senses. 

If she doesn't, Bev will slap her into reality.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I could not believe how HARD Devar's sister laughed when they were talking about her making most of the money in the household. She was totally busting up, as if it was beyond hysterical.  Not just a giggle - a full blow belly laugh.

I don't think Melanie really has a slammin' body ,though.  JMO.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, guilfoyleatpp said:

How is his youngest sister hurting for money when his two other sisters are living well?

Sing it with me now..."It's all about the story, big storyline now....It's all about the story, foolin' the public now...

• Love 3
8 hours ago, guilfoyleatpp said:

How is his youngest sister hurting for money when his two other sisters are living well?

I was wondering about that as well. Maybe there was some sort of falling out amongst his sisters.  They seemed rather amused at the idea their SIL made more money than their brother.

9 hours ago, guilfoyleatpp said:

Because the younger sister is probably a deadbeat and the two older sisters aren't falling for her bullshit. 

• Love 12
9 hours ago, ChristmasJones said:

I could not believe how HARD Devar's sister laughed when they were talking about her making most of the money in the household. She was totally busting up, as if it was beyond hysterical.  Not just a giggle - a full blow belly laugh.

I don't think Melanie really has a slammin' body ,though.  JMO.

melanie has gained weight, her body is not as good as it was--still in excellent shape though..... also confused why her sisters cant help the younger one who seems to live in a shack. However, I have no sympathy for Melanie, Devar made his intentions very clear and this is what she wanted so I guess  she has to live with it.

10 hours ago, Major Bigtime said:

If she doesn't, Bev will slap her into reality.

first off--i love Bev, lol. and no, Melanie had made it clear she will listen to noone, not her family, not Dr Phil lol, noone. it is what it is.

• Love 3

Melanie is paying for Devar, and she seems happy doing it.   I wonder about some relationships on TV -- would they continue to work if the cameras were not there to put a spotlight on everything - -and they would just deal with crap in real life, and just keep  going?  For example, the Jon in the "Plus 8" family -- he was humiliated on tv so much, he was pushed into a corner where he practically HAD to leave to keep face.  Melanie is probably Just Fine with paying for Devar.  She's getting what she wants in return and doesn't seem to have a problem with it.  She may not even have a problem with paying for Devar's family, but having it on TV and Bev (the voice of reason) telling her and telling her that she shouldn't do what she really WANTS to do (to keep Devar happy), may be pushing her to take a stand that she wouldn't do otherwise.    I think that Devar is keeping up his side of the bargain, that is why Mel is so happy.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Eme said:

Melanie is paying for Devar, and she seems happy doing it.   I wonder about some relationships on TV -- would they continue to work if the cameras were not there to put a spotlight on everything - -and they would just deal with crap in real life, and just keep  going?  For example, the Jon in the "Plus 8" family -- he was humiliated on tv so much, he was pushed into a corner where he practically HAD to leave to keep face.  Melanie is probably Just Fine with paying for Devar.  She's getting what she wants in return and doesn't seem to have a problem with it.  She may not even have a problem with paying for Devar's family, but having it on TV and Bev (the voice of reason) telling her and telling her that she shouldn't do what she really WANTS to do (to keep Devar happy), may be pushing her to take a stand that she wouldn't do otherwise.    I think that Devar is keeping up his side of the bargain, that is why Mel is so happy.  

exactly--couldnt agree more--Mel bought herself a studly young hubby and she had no issue spending close to 40,000K doing it. It has worked out well for her, thank god, because she moved him in with her and her son and that worked out great.

• Love 2

I rewound that clip of Devar's sisters cracking up into laughter at least 5 times. 

"She pays most of the bills, so.....

tumblr_m5o3picq471rrv52p.gif    ComingToAmericaLaugh.gif

laughing-animated-gif.gif?gs=a       laughter-gif.gif

tumblr_mdrgzymoSX1qzq7qs.gif    batman-laughing.gif

I would've had more sympathy for Mel if she hadn't mentioned 72 times how huge and lux their house was and asked who it belonged to.  I kept waiting for her to drop a pamphlet about reverse mortgages stapled to a photo of Punkesha.

• Love 12

On the subject of Devar's sister's house, I am pretty sure she doesn't own that WHOLE house.  We didn't get a walk through of the house and all we really saw was them enter her home through the kitchen.  From the kitchen table I could see into a bedroom.  When they were leaving I could see a lock on the door they exited that also happened to open onto an upstairs "exterior" landing.  I would venture to guess that the sister residing there is renting a flat or maybe owns a flat in the building.  That doesn't constitute well off, just kinda comfortable .

Also, not to defend the sister Punkeshar, but Jamaica's economy is mostly tourist driven.  That severely limits the jobs available to an unskilled or uneducated worker.  She would mostly be looking at waitress or housekeeper or something along the tourist industry lines.  If the Jamaican tourist season is seasonal (especially if you factor in hurricanes) she isn't going to be working full time year round, so I could reasonably see her requesting help.  Getting it is a different matter.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Dru Blood said:

On the subject of Devar's sister's house, I am pretty sure she doesn't own that WHOLE house.  We didn't get a walk through of the house and all we really saw was them enter her home through the kitchen.  From the kitchen table I could see into a bedroom.  When they were leaving I could see a lock on the door they exited that also happened to open onto an upstairs "exterior" landing.  I would venture to guess that the sister residing there is renting a flat or maybe owns a flat in the building.  That doesn't constitute well off, just kinda comfortable .

It really sucks that TLC would go out of its way to create the impression that the sister has this whole, big fancy house to herself and must be pretty well-off, yet she is unwilling to help out Punkeshar. If she only rents part of the house, TLC darn well knows it.  But I guess making the sister look bad makes for better TV.  Oh well. 

I really don't know why anyone agrees to be a part of these shows.  They all end up being made to look so foolish. 

• Love 8
On 9/27/2016 at 11:37 AM, DangerousMinds said:

I supported myself for years as a waitress (and quite well), so I'm not sure why Devar's sister can't do the same.

I am guuessing that things are different in Jamaica then they are here, hence the reason why many come here as immigrants to find better opportunities. 

• Love 4
On 10/17/2016 at 5:58 AM, nlkm9 said:

melanie has gained weight, her body is not as good as it was--still in excellent shape though..... also confused why her sisters cant help the younger one who seems to live in a shack. However, I have no sympathy for Melanie, Devar made his intentions very clear and this is what she wanted so I guess  she has to live with it.

first off--i love Bev, lol. and no, Melanie had made it clear she will listen to noone, not her family, not Dr Phil lol, noone. it is what it is.

I think Melanie simply has a more athletic body type rather than slender. Also she wears those tight stretchy workout clothes all the time. She does look like she works out a lot. 

• Love 3

It looks like Devar's two others sisters are doing OK for themselves. Punkeshar seems like she's failed to launch, but we don't know her story, so until we do, I don't want to judge her. 

They seem to live near the resort areas, but that doesn't mean that all the jobs aren't spoken for already.  Another poster mentioned that there being less tourism during hurricane season, so many people have to go on the dole or unemployment  (if there is a safety net there) or take odd jobs to make ends meet.

Jamaica isn't the USA, and I don't think Mel understands that a good many people in the Caribbean are desperately poor, and there's only so many slots for trade schools and higher education and only so many jobs catering to comparitely rich and often rude tourists.  There's only so many places to go, whereas in the US, the opportunities are plentiful elsewhere if things aren't working out where you are.  These folks have to stay there during major hurricanes...they don't get to fly away to wherever they want to go at will.

• Love 6

I thought Devar's sisters were rude when they laughed about Melanie currently bringing in most of the money to the household. So what? She makes a good living. Hopefully Devar will make more in the future, but they seem to be doing OK. What was sooooo funny there?