Type keyword(s) to search

Son Of Zorn - General Discussion

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Johnny Pemberton is at least 34 years old and really bad at scrubbing:

http://www.startribune.com/family-tools-star-pemberton-looks-back-at-rochester-childhood/206852371/

http://www.postbulletin.com/entertainment/stage/seen-heard-pemberton-getting-plenty-of-screen-time/article_ff28d9f3-ae9e-5316-8a9d-59b7c047edbe.html

I enjoyed this. I didn't think that it was laugh out funny, but I appreciated the humor. Do his legs mean that the son is turning into his father or that he just has some of his father's characteristics. After all, he did like the bird ride.

I did chuckle when they showed the fiance washing away the bird blood. It was a nice touch.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, amass said:

We laughed at the bird and chuckled at the fact that he thought his boss must be a man.... that was about it so far....  

I smirked at it in spots, but didn't really find it all that funny.  Certainly not worthy of watching live, maybe if I had time later in the week.  Maybe.

• Love 1

It had some moments, but it didn't fully work for me.  Then again, it usually takes me a while to really get into sitcoms (I even remember finding the pilot for Brooklyn Nine-Nine meh, and that has become one of my favorite shows ever), so it might improve.  But it will likely just be a show I catch On Demand when I have time, and isn't must-see.

I know Jason Sudeikis has been getting a mixed response from places I've read, but I kind of got a kick out of his performance.  At times, I did feel like he was doing his own version of Sterling Archer though.  Both characters have a lot of similarities, even though they look different on the surface.

Honestly, my favorite parts were probably the stuff with Craig.  Tim Meadows his hilarious.

Hope we get more of Nancy/the waitress, since she was Ellen Wong, and I'm all for her getting more work after her awesome Knives on Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (she is currently on SyFy's Dark Matter too.)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, junemeatcleaver said:

Another barely funny high-concept garbage show that will be canceled in a season and mourned by a few, vocal fans.  Next.

Doubtful. Only 13 episodes this season and about half will have NFL.

I liked the animation mixed in with real people/surroundings. It had a couple of hits, but way more misses. It's the first episode so I'll give it another chance.  Zorn's voice/speech pattern reminded me too much of Seth MacFarlane. 

On 9/13/2016 at 6:11 PM, junemeatcleaver said:

Another barely funny high-concept garbage show that will be canceled in a season and mourned by a few, vocal fans.  Next.

So I guess you didn't like it? Good thing you have the freedom of choice to not watch it again. 

On 9/23/2016 at 11:58 AM, Ubiquitous said:

I watched it on demand last night. It wasn't as funny as I hoped, but I'm willing to watch it again.

I agree. I didn't like it as much as I had hoped and figured I would be done with it, but the end shot with the son's legs intrigued me enough to watch at least once more. 

This show doesn't quite work for some reason and I can't put my finger on why. Love the cast, love the concept, but show just isn't making me laugh, or even snicker. I think maybe I smirked once, and that's about it.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, iMonrey said:

This show doesn't quite work for some reason and I can't put my finger on why. Love the cast, love the concept, but show just isn't making me laugh, or even snicker. I think maybe I smirked once, and that's about it.

I agree. For me, I think it's because only Zorn is animated (and Zypheria, but apparently that doesn't have an impact on the "real world"). Maybe if the set-up  was more like "Roger Rabbit," where animated characters lived side-by-side with human characters I'd have a better opinion of it.

Yeah, it's just odd that everyone lives in the normal world and no one comments on Zorn being a cartoon or the fact that he does abnormal things like kill giant birds or wears a loincloth. I think we need some more integration of his magical world and our own. Maybe an old nemesis comes to wreak havoc?  I don't know...I just think the concept will get old quick. Do think the cast is good though.

I agree - it might work a lot better if Zorn were not animated. I'm thinking of the movie "Enchanted," for example, where an animated character comes "to life" in the real world and is personified by a real life actor instead of a drawing. If they had an actual actor playing Zorn walking around in that costume it would be so much more absurd and possibly a lot funnier.

I enjoyed it, as I knew I would.  I heard and read some bad reviews, but I could tell it was just what was described in the story: "it will either be your jam or it REALLY WON'T".  I, like the recapper, am in the "jam" category, whereas I think most critics just aren't.

• Love 1

They showed the HR rep had written "Diversity hire" on his resume. I assume that meant animated people were in society but a small percentage, making them a protected minority. And probably how he has managed to keep his job this long despite slapping/breaking/non-PC stuff around the office.

I feel like it's still an okay show, and I think it's getting better. People said in the previous thread that it's missing more elements with the cartoon stuff interacting with the real world, and I agree. Al's cartoon legs is a good running joke, but I feel like we need more toon stuff.

It's good to see Artemis from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia in other shows.

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 11:27 AM, iMonrey said:

Yeah, I feel the same way. Something isn't quite jelling on this show.

I gotta say I'm pretty skeptical about this. But the last time I doubted a kid's note, turns out he was being kidnapped. Anyway, go, uh, run a few laps, then, uh, I don't know, jump over a cone or something.

LOL!

The best episode so far, in my opinion.

I really love shows-in-shows that comment on the main show itself. I've been wanting for this show to tackle how regular people see Zephyrians, and yeah, they're pretty racist about it. Apparently all Zephyrians have purple hair and have greasy elbows. There needs to be more toons in this show, the culture lesson and the giant hammer were a good step towards that.

"You consider children humans, right?"

• Love 1

Wow, no responses on this show and it's over a week old? I've been debating about deleting this show from my queue and I guess many others have as well. It's not that it's bad, per se, it's just kind of boring. Take away the cartoon gimmick and it's a pretty bland show. I rarely laugh.

The good this episode was seeing Ian from Shameless. The bad was no Artemis (boss lady). 

Agreed this was the best episode yet. I was laughing throughout. The crappy sitcom at the beginning, Edie's battle with the neighbors, every aspect of Zorn's demonstration to Alan, and the pickle jar was great ("Hey you, use your karate to open this")

Agreed that this was the best episode so far. I have been interested in seeing how this world works, in regard to Zaphyrians, and this cleared some thing up. I swear, that sitcom could have been a cut scene from Two Broke Girls, it totally nailed that kind of crappy, stereotype based show. 

I also loved the "authentic" Zaphyrian restaurant without any Zaphyrians working there, and the recipes have nothing to do with the actual cuisine.  

• Love 1

Yeah that sitcom could have been ripped right from anything on CBS to be honest. I despise laugh track sitcoms so very much. Though I will still watch them if they are actually funny (first few years of Friends, Home Improvement being a few of my only examples).

• Love 1