Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Duggars in the Wild

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, cereality said:

Derick -- I think he knew he was a total dweeb who needed an arranged marriage. I mean the mascot of the football team at big state u spends 4 yrs around cheerleaders, women in band, and about a zillion female fans and can't get himself a girlfriend?? And then he's headed off to Nepal for 2 yrs knowing that that's another 2 yrs lost from a dating perspective and by southern standards, 25 is an old man. He realizes that he'll be parent approved though -- educated; religious; mission work etc. -- so he seeks out an arranged marriage bc he knows his only chance is if someone's daddy says -- you should marry this guy. Plus having grown up somewhat fundie himself -- I have a feeling he realized the whole headship thing could work to his favor. He knew he wanted to live in the developing world and not work 40 hrs a week -- as someone's headship, he could require that they live that life. If OTOH he had married a girl from OU, she would not have been following him off to Central America, nor would she likely have supported him quitting a job at a Fortune 500 while she was pregnant to sit home and do basically nothing.

Good stuff! Taking my response to the Dillards topic.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, fuzzylollipop said:

there was a flashback of the Dullards reciting their wedding vows and not only was Derelict completely physically unrecognizable, but so was Jilly Bean's voice. Did anyone else notice? In the wedding scene, Jill's voice was much more high pitched than in her current narrating voice.

It bugged me that Jill said their wedding was so special because they recited her parents' wedding vows. Boob and MEchelle have really brainwashed those kids to think they are the be-all, end-all.

I did notice Jill's high-pitched voice.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Missy Vixen said:

You are a kind and merciful person. Unfortunately for Jilly Muffin, I am not.

There are women everywhere who would be THRILLED to fill those "empty" hours with a hobby, an interest, or volunteer work. She could learn to knit, make some crafts, learn to sew, or take online classes. She could READ. (I understand the Duggars do not read, but maybe she needs to learn.) She could actually learn Spanish instead of just yapping about it. It's my understanding that listening and attempting to talk to those who already speak Spanish increases the speed in which she could actually have a conversation. 

It is astonishing to me that an entire family of people have no outside interests, no hobbies, no curiosity about anything beyond the end of their noses. There are so many things an adult woman with access to money and free time could embark on.  (Example: If she learned to sew, knit or crochet, she could make baby blankets for a charity like the Linus Project.) Isn't she bored with herself? Truly? If she's not out "winning the lost", maybe she needs to take some time for herself instead of mooning after a husband who's already shown he doesn't give a shit and freaking out over whether or not she's pregnant again.

You have a great point.  Of course she could learn to do some of the things you mentioned.  It would help make the time pass.  This 'mission' seems to be Derick's baby.  She doesn't look happy to me...and if the danger threat is real, that might be part of it. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I recorded the wedding when it originally aired, have watched it numerous times (can't figure out why I deem it fascinating) &  noticed too about Jill's high-pitched baby voice coming out when she was saying her vows.  Weird isn't it?  Maybe it goes along with having to look adoringly at your husbandhood at all times like they do.

I know a Japanese woman, now in her early 50s, who does the same thing (slightly different style, of course ... but ...).  Anyway, with her it's even more striking because half of her persona -- the half that appears when she's not with her husband -- is an extremely intelligent perceptive incisive woman, intellectually gifted, eager, energetic, curious, knowledgeable, snarky, funny, bilingual to a degree I couldn't emulate if I tried for a thousand years. And then when she's with her husband (a non-Asian American, although they live in Japan -- and not in Tokyo), her voice and demeanor change completely. Her body language, the pitch of her voice, all her intonations, and, of course, the whole tenor of what she says -- all completely different. Soft, hesitant-seeming, high-pitched, ultra-contained, diffident, etc. To my knowledge, this has nothing -- or at least very little -- to do with his wanting it. It seems to just come from the cultural/social expectations she's imbibed her whole life. It's freaking bizarre. Anyway, always reminds me of the Duggs (except for the, you know, intelligent, active, knowledgeable, funny, etc., part....)

• Love 9
16 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

All I could think of when Jessa said how she loves the age of Brecken was Michelle - 0 to 6 months and then its time to put the shiny new baby down and move on.

My thoughts exactly.  I couldn't believe she was pining away for a newborn when she's got Spurgeon.  I hope she has all boys so she never has any helpers.  If Spurgeon was a girl, Jessa would begin the sister-mom training the day after birthing her second child.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, luvmylabs said:

There is no mention of other Americans, Canadians, or other foreign nationals etc. with whom she could visit. 

Don't they live with the SOSers? I mean, that's who has the gated compound with guards, right? Not locals? And don't they do their work -- such as it is -- mainly with missioncationers?  ... So they may not be mentioning other North 'Muricans, but it's my impression (???) that they probably make up the main part of their acquaintance .... Is that others' impression as well or am I missing something here.

• Love 3

When Bin is talking, Jessa gazes at him like a good fundie wife should, but she has a HUGE cheshire-cat smile and often is laughing. I think she's usually kinda embarrassed by what Bin is saying, but is trying ever-so-hard to be supportive. So she laughs like he's just the cleverest guy ever.

• Love 8

Jill was really annoying.  I'm glad others picked up on the whole "he needs a sibling so he knows the world doesn't revolve around him" nonsense. (My cousin has one kid and he is very sweet.) I was annoyed with her smirking at the camera when if she was pregnant, and maybe the smirk was meant to convey  a "Well, I might be pregnant since we did it." kind of thing. 

Despite her smirking, I think she isn't pregnant and that the fact that she's not pregnant is the main source of her unhappiness. She is a Duggar. She is the one who said she wanted to have as many kids as mom and maybe more when she got married (during the conversation with her father before she walked down the aisle). I think she's in complete denial of Zika. She just wants another baby preferably a girl.  

Jinger is completely juvenile about her significant other. That being said part of me is wondering if the producers want lots of mentions of Jeremy to establish this new character.  (This is very common in television writing, mention a new character a lot to  interest/familiarize viewers with the character. It's particularly common on soaps, so I could see it used on All My Blessings.)  

• Love 8

I though, back in the beginning, Michelle said she used the high pitched baby voice as a way to control her anger not as a sign of submission to her headship.  Looks like her girls are confused about it too. Jim Bob and Michelle used to talk about anger a lot in the beginning.  I'm not sure how a Whole passel of children is good for one's anger management issues but, hey, what do I know?

• Love 10
22 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Emotions other than those that glorify God are to be tamped down and never acknowledged. If you repress them long enough they will go away. How else to explain that this is the one "reality" TV show where we've never seen anyone truly mad or in a bad mood?

Usually in the presence of a filming crew, people who get on each other's nerves just can't help themselves and the gloves come off.  It gets real ugly real fast. Boob has never allowed any drama on the set, which is a safe bet.

Jinger , who I always saw as The Feisty One, is a huge disappointment to me.  Her behavior was cringeworthy.  She was behaving like someone half her age. I caught myself yelling at the screen, "he knows where you are, Jing. You've been reminding him every 5 minutes.  What is it about "survival school", that you don't understand?  It would imply one is SUPPOSED to learn to survive off the grid...no mod cons, Gurl!"

No man I know would be able to tolerate this, unless Jeremy, who is somewhat worldly, has recognized her behavior is caused by her stunted upbringing.  I keep hoping it's because he really wants to take her away from the madness that is the Tinkertoy House. Plus, the fact that he gets to be the first to hit it with this meek virgin, must be the only thing that keeps him going.  I'd like to see him stand up to Boob and remind him that Jinger is an adult and doesn't need his permission or his consent to marry.

Boob's Constipated Frog Face of Disapproval will likely show itself many times.  I can see that his version of The Golden Rule isn't the one written in the Book of Matthew, but is "He who has the gold, makes the rules".  He has used this philosophy to control his kidults any time they have had any notion of wanting "a life of their own".  Keeping them fat and dumb and believing themselves to be happy has kept them "down on the farm." Most parents limit the size of their family because they know that paying for college isn't going to be easy, but he hasn't even let them earn their own way there, either.  He's used Gothard as a way to avoid paying for college because he's the Ultimate Cheapskate who found religious justification for teaching his kids against desiring such things. Now the compound has grown to "30 Mouths to Feed and Counting", you know he wakes up every morning with shit in his pants. Marrying the kidults off hasn't worked, because they all come back home, spouses, kids, and all, expecting to be coddled. 

• Love 10
23 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Ratings are in:  911K viewers and a .26 rating.

Is that good or bad?

2 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

He's used Gothard as a way to avoid paying for college because he's the Ultimate Cheapskate who found religious justification for teaching his kids against desiring such things. Now the compound has grown to "30 Mouths to Feed and Counting", you know he wakes up every morning with shit in his pants. Marrying the kidults off hasn't worked, because they all come back home, spouses, kids, and all, expecting to be coddled. 

Pretty sad that he's hooked onto fame and fortune as the means to provide for his family. I'm sure he's watching reruns of The Waltons, The Andy Griffith Show, and Little House on the Prairie to come up with some new and fresh plot lines. While feverishly hunting for some more mail-order-mates for his kidults.

• Love 3

The girls seems so whiny and gripy during their "survival training." Were they open to or enthusiastic about ANYTHING? I guess this is how you turn out when you're taught to be suspicious of the world. I keep hoping someone will rebel and want to experience EVERYTHING! I have to admire Jill for at least giving CA a try. She seemed into it until whatever her recent scare was. At least she tried. 

The skirts and sandals seemed silly, but I saw shorts and sandals and bare feet among the trainers, so are men impervious to poison ivy and snakes or what?

I like Derick and Ben is growing on me, despite the vast differences in our world views!

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

The girls seems so whiny and gripy during their "survival training." Were they open to or enthusiastic about ANYTHING?

Must be those grateful, servants hearts they're so famous for.

• Love 11

I don't think John David is humorless at all. He has a dry wit that is hilarious. He can deadpan anything. I wish I could keep such a straight face when tweeking someone.

Derrick wasn't referring to Iz experiencing clean carpet for the first time (tho, in my mind all hotel/motel carpet is suspect). He was referring to Iz not having ANY carpet experience. Their home in CA is all tile. Probably everywhere he has been in CA is tile.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I am still watching this ep. I guess some of the guys are whiny, too. 

I've done car camping that was more rugged than this. Geez 

The bits I've seen of this episode, the Duggs really disrespectful. This is someone's business and the Duggars were completely uncooperative. Guess we don't need to worry about that 'paramilitary' Alert training camp. What a bunch of jerks and pussies. Worse, they gave the impression they thought it was 'cute' to poop all over the experience.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, sometimesy said:

The bits I've seen of this episode, the Duggs really disrespectful. This is someone's business and the Duggars were completely uncooperative. Guess we don't need to worry about that 'paramilitary' Alert training camp. What a bunch of jerks and pussies. Worse, they gave the impression they thought it was 'cute' to poop all over the experience.

Well, it's what their crappy parents -- AKA Jesus's favorite couple -- would do.

The crabapples didn't fall far from the tree.

Edited by Churchhoney
"far' "far" It's "far" from the tree.
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, drafan said:

Is that good or bad?

Pretty sad that he's hooked onto fame and fortune as the means to provide for his family. I'm sure he's watching reruns of The Waltons, The Andy Griffith Show, and Little House on the Prairie to come up with some new and fresh plot lines. While feverishly hunting for some more mail-order-mates for his kidults.

The ratings are terrible for a Duggar-centric program, but goodish for TLC.  I looked on wikipedia - the last 3 seasons of 19KC consistently reached 2 million viewers for the majority of the episodes.  These courtship/wedding seasons had a few episodes in the 1.8s and 1.9s and four episodes with 3 million viewers. 

Last season's premiere of Counting On was 1.9 million and then the finale bottomed out at a little over a million.  This season has been a slow decline it premiered at 1.194 million and the second episode was 1.05 million.  Under a million hasn't happened since 2013.   

It's still doing better than other shows. Tuesday night's Cake Boss had a little under 600,000 viewers. IDK if that is because the Duggars are a lead-in or TLC expects those numbers from Cake Boss.     

• Love 2
On 9/7/2016 at 2:13 PM, Churchhoney said:

????

Okay, now I'm truly devastated to be missing this. WTF?

When your child's name is Spurgeon, I guess you don't have much of a choice. Spur? Spu? Sp? 'on?

Johnny (geon--> jon)! Why not Johnny? That's a NORMAL name. And biblical, too!! (And how the heck is the kid gonna pronounce his own name? 'sp' is a tough one for youngins.)

Edited by LilJen
  • Love 2

I could drop them off on the Fort Peck Indian Reservation where a few of my in-laws live. It is on the Montana Hi-Line area near the North Dakota and Canadian borders almost out in the middle of nowhere. I am part Native American myself (5/32 Chippewa Cree, Member of the Little Shell Tribe of Chippewa Indians of Montana,) and I still go into culture shock and become nervous and scared when we go visit his family.

10 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

The skirts and sandals seemed silly, but I saw shorts and sandals and bare feet among the trainers, so are men impervious to poison ivy and snakes or what?

I would assume the trainers are smart enough not to go running through those dangers, though.  Not so the kidults!

• Love 1

There was a preview on TLC just now of next week's episode. I only caught the end of it when I flipped the channel to watch My 600 lb life and Miss Fashion Jinger was showing us all the outfits she was packing to fly to Laredo (hint: cardigans and maxis.) Also, Pinterest made its first special appearance of the season, as she made him one of those long distance nail and board string "art" pieces that are all the rage now, with their states and hearts. I see those all over the place on that site. She mentioned it was for his "bachelor pad" or something like that which makes me wonder if she even knows why it's called a bachelors pad and the connotations of that word. Did anyone catch it? 

Edited to add: I forgot about the magic of technology allowing me to rewind and never mind. She didn't say bachelor's pad. I heard what I wanted to hear. I still only caught about half of it. Jinger packs the entire community closet to go visit Jeremy and leaves no clothes behind for Jana or Joy. I don't know if my eyes deceived me because it's so late but I spotted some kind of animal print contraption in her hands! Mean girl Jessa makes fun of her for packing the entire closet. Jinger brags about all the time she has on her hands to make Jeremy Pinterest art without following the correct instructions (because they do everything different y'all). She's flying out to meet Jeremy's parents and Jeremy's mom and dad have their first talking head. His parents seem excited that their son is on the reality tv train. Mom reminds me of Derrick's mom because she looks completely normal but you know there's crazy inside. Jeremy buys another super tiny bouquet of flowers, if they get any smaller she'll be needing a shot glass to put them in. Clip of Jinger arriving at the airport and looking shockingly skinny in a red sweater. MEchell's clown plastered smile and Jim Boob's TTC gut make an appearance and I fling my remote at the TV in anger and break it. The end. 

Edited by fuzzylollipop
  • Love 23
7 hours ago, fuzzylollipop said:

Thanks @Arwen Evenstar this was an easy one to summarize since it was only a couple of minutes long, the full episodes can't hold my attention long enough. They should cut this show down to 5 minute clips once a year and just be done with it. 

Ding!! We have a winner! Best idea yet.

Okay, maybe once a quarter instead of once a year. But still, five minutes of them breathing, hanging out at the TTH, driving cars, eating, marrying, and procreating?  Oughtta bring the world up to date. Because, except for their social media posts of baby photos, hateful Bible verses, and steeped-in-sin-and-damnation sermons, they really don't do anything else anyway. 

Edited by Jeeves
I'm starting to think that five minutes even *thinking* about these people is too much - but ya'll are SO much fun to hang out with, so I'm torn.
  • Love 7
13 minutes ago, sheshark said:

And just WHO was chaperOWN for Jinge?  Just the camera crew?  She couldn't go in the Duggar plane?

I thought the packing, etc., mentioned above in the promo, was for the trip that Jinger and her parents took to meet Jeremy's parents in PA? I know there was such a meetup of the couple and their parents (and Jeremy's siblings also I think), and I thought it was in PA, not in Laredo. There were social media posts with several photos. One of them even showed Jinger in what looked like a church basement social room, with a lot of people - and IIRC one of them was Jeremy's grandmother.

So, maybe there was another trip, when Jinger went to Laredo? But, no way in hell she would have gone to Laredo alone. A Duggar barely goes to the bathroom alone. Certainly an unmarried Duggar daughter does not travel 600+ miles to visit her intended, unchaperoned. And the camera crew doesn't count.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 5

In the preview I mentioned earlier, Jinger says that she's nervous about flying to Laredo to meet Jeremy's parent for the very first time. His parents also state that they're excited to finally meet her. So I guess that's what TLC is going to tell us happened (who knows the truth). The clip ended with Jeremy at the airport holding the tiniest bouquet of flowers in the world and his parents standing right behind him with their arms around each other. Then you see a super skinny Jinger coming down an escalator with Clown Car and Boob behind her. I think Jeremy yells "my love!" or something and they show Jinger running to cling on to him. 

• Love 4
19 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

I could drop them off on the Fort Peck Indian Reservation where a few of my in-laws live. It is on the Montana Hi-Line area near the North Dakota and Canadian borders almost out in the middle of nowhere. I am part Native American myself (5/32 Chippewa Cree, Member of the Little Shell Tribe of Chippewa Indians of Montana,) and I still go into culture shock and become nervous and scared when we go visit his family.

My hubs is from there! Wolf Point! It's so vast and empty, I get some weird form of claustrophobia. You just feel so small.

These kids just don't know how to process adult emotions. Puppy love was never tolerated because they had to guard their hearts only for the one they're destined to marry. I can't even imagine what it's like to have to suppress every feeling I have except those for the sweet baby Jesus. I think we'll see Jing snap out of it and I just think that the Holy Goalie has potential to create a semi-normal life depending upon his ultimate fundie famewhore desires.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, ShaNaeNae said:

Can I tell my boss, "sorry I'm not all here, I'm on another planet.  I didn't turn in the project we've been working on for 6 months.  I know the company can't continue to thrive until I turn this in, but there's this guy.  I can't let 10 minutes go by and I need to FaceTime him.  I totally hope you get it".  

Lol, right? How fast do you think they'd have the contents of your desk boxed up and waiting for you on the curb if you tried to pull something like that? 

I get that what Jinger is experiencing is the equivalent of a 12 year-old with her first crush, but her level of obsession is creepy, even for a sheltered Fundie.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, fuzzylollipop said:

Then you see a super skinny Jinger coming down an escalator with Clown Car and Boob behind her. I think Jeremy yells "my love!" or something and they show Jinger running to cling on to him. 

It better be a side-cling or else Jim Bob will have to hurl himself between them. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, ShaNaeNae said:

It's getting creepy the way they let the girls blow off their whole life while in love.  They've done it with Jill, Jessa and now Jinger.  "Their mind isn't all there, they're in love.  So now chores for them".  The hell?  What do normal people who have to actually work a  job do when they're in love? Can I tell my boss, "sorry I'm not all here, I'm on another planet.  I didn't turn in the project we've been working on for 6 months.  I know the company can't continue to thrive until I turn this in, but there's this guy.  I can't let 10 minutes go by and I need to FaceTime him.  I totally hope you get it".  These people do just exist in their little bubble of a world. 

Jinger you are a stage 5 clinger.  It's creepy.  Don't do that.  It's a turn off.  Get a self identity.  Also, on the commercial don't call yourself a "traveler".  Yes, TLC has paid for a few trips for your family.  But anyone who makes faces at others customs, screeches, "uhhh, GROSS!" at their foods and doesn't take the time to learn a few basic sentences in the language of the country you're visiting isn't a real traveler.

I'm just over these people. 

Well its the first and last time these girls have had or will ever have time to themselves.  Too bad they aren't using it to their advantage and leaving that shitshow.  I want to see ONE of them hanging outside the window of a moving car leaving TTH yelling see ya later mutha fuckas flashing the one finger salute!  I am picturing them also throwing the mustard cardi as they turn down the road.  A gal can dream.

• Love 19
19 minutes ago, awaken said:

Frontally or otherwise?  

From what I recall, they cut the scene right when they were running into each others arms and you never see them embrace or reach each other. I guess tlc was going for cliffhanger with that.

I think it would be kind of awkward to romantically run to each other at an airport only to end up in a side hug, but for the Duggars, awkward is their second religion. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, fuzzylollipop said:

From what I recall, they cut the scene right when they were running into each others arms and you never see them embrace or reach each other. I guess tlc was going for cliffhanger with that.

I think it would be kind of awkward to romantically run to each other at an airport only to end up in a side hug, but for the Duggars, awkward is their second religion. 

In my dream world, this "cliffhanger" would be resolved with a full-frontal hug and a voiceover explaining that this is the way that JinJer chose to proceed and that it is no one's business but theirs what feels like the right choice for them.

• Love 8
23 hours ago, fuzzylollipop said:

Jeremy buys another super tiny bouquet of flowers, if they get any smaller she'll be needing a shot glass to put them in. Clip of Jinger arriving at the airport and looking shockingly skinny in a red sweater. MEchell's clown plastered smile and Jim Boob's TTC gut make an appearance and I fling my remote at the TV in anger and break it. The end. 

Ive had the worst week and this was the first time i genuinely laughed today. thank you lol!!!! Great recap of the preview

• Love 5