Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: A Clean Slate

• Start Topic

We're supposed to think Donna's awake

Also, does it ever get that chilly in LA in late August/early September that Donna would be sleeping in thick covers and a long sleeved top?

Inflatable Guy STUFF!

Nothing about Donna's mullet shorts (murts?)?

Val is so amazing in bed that even famed sex haver Dylan is impressed into speechlessness.

TAT and LP did have some good chemistry, and not just in the bedroom scenes.

The rule for styling Andrea this season is billowy tops: fine. But must it be so unflatteringly white?

Still better than most of what she was wearing over the last few seasons (see her outfight during The Electric Slide to Cure Racism).

Welcome, Braysident Brandaon!

• LOL 1

What with those pants?!

So long, Josh.  At least Brandon remembers you in the next episode.  That's more than you can say for most of his guest star friends and relatives.

Of course, it was probably Brandon asking Josh that last cliché question that got him killed.

Damn, I forgot just how hot TAT looked in these first couple of episodes.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1

I will always remember Alex Diaz as the guy with the denim jacket. Always wore it. 

Also if you get rid of the 70's cheesy music, the Richland death scene compared to other TV shows is actually pretty not bad. I don't know.

The Clare and David era begins. Hooray!

Edited by SoupThrower

I would like to agree with Sarah and Tara about how no one cares but it gets really really over the top at my college. There were fist fights, ripping posters, rumors making, bribery, like shit got real and the worst is the they basically come to you and go about their issues in your face when you just wanted to go to class. So this episode got a few things right.

But really no one (majority) cares and it is all just title I guess. I don't know but I've seen a lot of posters like the Richland Walsh poster with nothing on the issues so whatever.

Sucks that this is D'Shawn's 2nd last episode. So much better than Zuckerman Vasquez. 

• Love 1

My class president was the actor who played Chunk from The Goonies. That's the beginning, middle, and end of what I knew about student government. I remember his campaign posters had a picture of him as Chunk. If not for that, I would literally have known nothing. Because no one cared (even at a school that's sort of famous for people supposedly caring).

• Love 7

So here's a weird: I think I own that slip dress. It's a Betsey Johnson - perhaps the only thing she ever made that wasn't decorated into oblivion - and I bought it in the mid-'90s so the timing lines up. It is a magical garment: I wear it all the time and it's still in near-perfect condition; it fits me no matter which end of the 25-lb-swing I'm on at the moment; and I always, always still get compliments on it. (And yes: truly fantastic on the boobs.) My only regret is that I didn't buy 15 of them so I could have them until I die... though considering this one's at 20 years and going strong, maybe it's not a problem?

• Love 5
Just now, CurlyATX said:

I'm assuming it's better childcare that's affordable, since the free stuff is not up to standards for Ohndrea.

Ha, true.  There was that one baby who was crying-- so clearly the place was a dump.

• Love 2

Oh Val, I love you and your scheming hotness, but that line to Cindy about her whereabouts was a little amateurish, no?  Brandon could have accidentally blown up her spot.  Why not just say you were with a study group or something?

Tara describing Annnnndrea as looking like a sail in her billowy white shirt made me chortle.

Edited by TeeVee329
53 minutes ago, HootyMcBoob said:

I feel qualified to speak on this subject based on my username: the worst modesty sheet in history also really highlights the......static nature of Val's boobs.

In defense of the boobs, I think they were still pretty new at that time?

In Andrea's defence, this really is the perfect age to take babies everywhere - they mostly sleep and if you get one that likes being in a carrier they're pretty quiet, so I don't really have a problem with her bringing Hannah to vote. Class etc. is iffier, as that's a contained environment where she's more likely she would disturb other people, although I had a lecturer at university who'd bring her baby and just give her entire lecture bouncing from one foot to the other to keep her settled while she taught so I don't know, some people get lucky and have good babies that you don't even know are there. 

That said, if Jesse's at home, he should be looking after her instead. And given he's working nights in a bar, shouldn't he be home... a reasonable amount during the day? This bothered me last week as well - is Jesse still a student or is he a lawyer who's working in a bar because if so why do they need daycare at all? 

Student politics does get crazy at Australian universities (for people who were involved - you're right that no-one else cares) and there is bitter infighting (see this, for example (our Liberals are the opposite of your liberals, btw)), but the thing that always confuses me with this storyline is the outfits. Not sure if it's a US v Australian thing but nobody I knew in student politics in the 90s wore a shirt and tie to anything. 

Does Dylan ever change his sheets? I feel like we've been looking at those same pillowcases since Brenda. 

Edited by MissEwa
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, MissEwa said:

Student politics does get crazy at Australian universities (for people who were involved - you're right that no-one else cares) and there is bitter infighting (see this, for example (our Liberals are the opposite of your liberals, btw)), but the thing that always confuses me with this storyline is the outfits. Not sure if it's a US v Australian thing but nobody I knew in student politics in the 90s wore a shirt and tie to anything. 

We may be talking about two different things, based on the article you linked. Who gets to set the agenda of a student-run organization is definitely something that can raise tempers in the US. (Long ago I had a friend who was involved in a vote rigging scandal for his University's chapter of the Young Republicans. By the time I knew him, he had changed his politics, but always seemed weirdly proud to have been part of the vote rigging.) But being president of the student association/body/class/whatever is just six people fighting over who gets to put a meaningless bullet point in their law school application. It's a popularity contest in which 99% of the population isn't paying attention.

6 hours ago, MissEwa said:

That was my experience in Melbourne too - during elections the Union became un-navigable due to all the campaigning, and if you hung out in the Union it seemed like the be-all and end-all, but then there was a bunch of students who never went near the Union.

5 hours ago, Stowaway said:

We may be talking about two different things, based on the article you linked. 

This seems likely. The Union at my uni provided a lot of services - they ran the foodhall, computer centre, amenities like showers and lockers, newspaper, union theatre and cinema, a recreational library (with a listening room for LPs!). They were basically involved in anything on campus that wasn't academic.

• Love 1

Yes if Jesse is bartending at night and done w law school but waiting/studying to pass the bar he absolutely should be watching Hannah during the day and afternoons while Ohhndrea goes to class and library. Also did they explain why his family can't sit the baby once in a while? 

29 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

Yes if Jesse is bartending at night and done w law school but waiting/studying to pass the bar he absolutely should be watching Hannah during the day and afternoons while Ohhndrea goes to class and library. Also did they explain why his family can't sit the baby once in a while? 

They did say that his mom works, and because this show is this show, grandfathers don't do babysitting. Which may explain why Jesse never kept the kid. This show is gross. Was this a 90s thing, where all shows were like this, or was this show just especially gross?

• Love 2

My parents came to stay with me when my second child was born.  At that point, aside from sleep deprivation, I realized that really the best time to have someone come take care of your kid was AFTER the maternity leave period, when they need constant attention and aren't sleeping hours at a time. I sorta wished I went back to work when babe was 3-12 weeks and then took time off after.  Pretty soon, her baby won't want to sit still during class and the anxiety of a fussy baby can cause a lot of problems for the mom (can't imagine being in a crowded lecture hall and having to nurse as a 19yr old.  My 35 yr old me didn't care, but I would as a kid)   I can understand if she had no options- which would have been a better story.  My neighbor is the assistant coach of a championship team at a large university and even she couldn't get any luck with the university childcare.  It's booked up years in advance and priority was totally given to faculty and staff, def not an undergrad. 

OHndrea saying that the FREE childcare wasn't good enough is ridiculous.  Jesse is a huge tool.  He falls in love with a premed super ambitious girl and then puts her in a situation that will most likely force her to quit school. 

That being said, if Jesse has been working that hard, I can see that he would want to spend some quality time snuggling with mom and baby vs having Ohndrea keep fawning all over Brandon.  I wish it were more shown that he was sort of jealous.  After all, Ohndrea has spent more time swooning over Brandon that she has just being with Jesse.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Sarah D. Bunting said:

Totally! I just wasn't able to find your handle during the recording. I just reread it and it's not a good look for Mary Ann.

I was just like "Hey....that was me!" I didn't even care. 

That article was so bitchy. I actually searched for it for the TAT best boob job / Sassy and that's how I found it. 

• Love 1

At my college, the only guys that were into student government were doing it to get laid; otherwise, no one cares. (one of those guys knocked up a girl a few months later, so I guess it worked)

Edited by Bob Lassiter
  • Love 1

Jesse was a 2nd year law student when he met Andrea, which means he should be in his 3rd year of law school  ... unless he's in a part-time 4-year program (which not all law schools have), he should be finishing this year (hence his ability to "teach law" at Yale)... the timelines on this show are so annoying. It's like, how hard can it be to call someone and just check this shit out?

I'm with Tara - I think Val is just so, so pretty. And her mid-90s bob is just all kinds of perfect. I said it before and I'll say it again, in what world would someone ever choose a Kelly or a Donna over a Val, look-wise. There's just no contest and I got sick of the show trying to paint her as this desperate, ugly duckling that went after other girl's sloppy seconds (Dylan, Ray, etc.) and/or total creeps (Kenny, Heroin user). And that only St. Kelly and Donna and her boobs of Doom were worthy of love. So lame.

I also recall bitching about this on the old TWOP board but it seems it's my own personal pet peeve, but I will say it again here: why is ANDREA walking so damn weird this season? She does this strange Pelvic Thrust/dislocated hip walk thing and it bugs the shit out of me, I don't know why. Just fucking WALK like a normal persona, Andrea, damn. 

• Love 2

One of the problems (of which there were many) with Jesse was that he never integrated into the cast. He was a couple of years too old to really be one of the gang, and was really nothing more than Andrea's love interest. Take that away and he really had no business being on the show.

Compare that with Val and even Claire. Take away their love interests, and they still have a place on the show. Val lives in the Walsh house, and is a childhood friend of Brandon and is friends with Steve. Claire lives at the beach house and is good friends with Kelly and Donna.

Without Andrea, Jesse has...nothing on this show. They should have at least made him a pre-law junior in season 4 or something, and had him become friends with some of the guys in the group. It would have maybe made him and Andrea less isolated.

• Love 3

Compare that with Val and even Claire. Take away their love interests, and they still have a place on the show. Val lives in the Walsh house, and is a childhood friend of Brandon and is friends with Steve. Claire lives at the beach house and is good friends with Kelly and Donna.

I view Jesse as just more evidence of what a mistake it was to write GC's pregnancy into the plot.  Though I do think Claire is pretty disposable as a character.  When she eventually does get written out, her leaving doesn't have much effect on the show one way or the other.   

• Love 3

I also recall bitching about this on the old TWOP board but it seems it's my own personal pet peeve, but I will say it again here: why is ANDREA walking so damn weird this season? She does this strange Pelvic Thrust/dislocated hip walk thing and it bugs the shit out of me, I don't know why. Just fucking WALK like a normal persona, Andrea, damn. 

Maybe because she was like 17 months pregnant in Season 4?

• Love 4
16 hours ago, scrubs14 said:

Is it weird that I was bummed that we didn't get a "And we never saw him again" for Josh?  I mean he's dead so of course we won't see him but still...

I'm more bummed we don't get a lot more of Walter Chen (Cheng?). He and David could have been the best news duo since Lois Lane and Jimmy Olson better than Zuckerman Walsh. 

• Love 1

Maybe because she was like 17 months pregnant in Season 4?

Zing!

But seriously, she didn't walk that way pre-pregnancy, it's just such an odd quirk to pick up, like giving birth unhinged her hip or something...

My class president was the actor who played Chunk from The Goonies. That's the beginning, middle, and end of what I knew about student government. I remember his campaign posters had a picture of him as Chunk. If not for that, I would literally have known nothing. Because no one cared (even at a school that's sort of famous for people supposedly caring).

Sounds like we were classmates, Stowaway! Class of '95. You?

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

uhhhhhnndreaaaaa's Yale and CU stuff was stupid and ill thought out. 

I'm surprised they didn't use college as an excuse to write her off the show. She was always the least convincing "teenager," her character was never really integrated with the rest of the cast, etc. But what do I know? I look at IMDB and see that Joe E Tata's role is only going to grow, and I don't really understand how that works, so. . . the show contains multitudes, I guess?

SHUT UP KELLY! Who critiques a gift from a dead guys sister who is, you know, in actual mourning? You are the worst! Except for your boyfriend who is the very worst. Their worst-ness is more then the sum of its actual parts. It's like they join together to creat some sort of Voltron of pissy, self righteous, basic suburban white kid super worst.

• Love 4