Type keyword(s) to search

U.K. TV

zxy556575
  • Start Topic

Is anyone else watching This Way Up with Aisling Bea, Sharon Horgan, Aasif Mandvi, and Tobias Menzies? It just became available on Hulu. I'm 4 episodes in and really like it so far, so I'm bummed that there are only 2 episodes left this season.

• Love 1

I liked a lot of British shows growing up.  Keeping Up Appearances, Are You Being Served, To the Manor Born, Waiting for God.  A show I don't see mentioned as much when I go through forums about British comedy is Chef!.  Gareth was an enormous jerk, but his put downs were brilliant. I also loved his wife.  She was beautiful, sophisticated, and no nonsense. 

On 10/16/2016 at 3:05 PM, Enigma X said:

I know this is a long shot, but you never know until you ask.

I am currently trying to teach myself Gaelic and Irish and was wondering if anyone knew of any UK and Irish TV shows spoken in those languages.  I am currently watching Machair and Bannan which is in Gaelic and No Bearla! which is in Irish.

I'm not sure if this is helpful at all, but you might search for BBC Gaelic to find shows in Gaelic.  I did and it led me to this page which looks like it has some programs in Gaelic. Ros na Run was actually the first show listed on my web search, so maybe it's supposed to be good.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

Has anyone watched The Split?  

I watched the first season but I didn't love it so I haven't really watched the second.  I just read a recap to see what happened.

39 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I watched the first season but I didn't love it so I haven't really watched the second.  I just read a recap to see what happened.

Thanks so much for replying!  I just read about the show (the NYT recommended it), and season 2 just started on Sundance TV, but the blurb recommends watching season one first (maybe because there’s a cliffhanger? or lots of characters or plotlines?), but season one doesn’t seem to be available anywhere.  

I guess I’m curious if you think I’ll be missing something if I jump in at season 2?!  

5 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

I guess I’m curious if you think I’ll be missing something if I jump in at season 2?!

I would read a recap of the first season before jumping in to watch the first season.  It's part legal drama and part soap opera drama where stories in the first season are continued into the second season.  "The split" refers to the love triangle at the center of the show between a woman (Nicola Walker), her husband and her old flame. 

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I would read a recap of the first season before jumping in to watch the first season.  It's part legal drama and part soap opera drama where stories in the first season are continued into the second season.  "The split" refers to the love triangle at the center of the show between a woman (Nicola Walker), her husband and her old flame. 

Thank you again!  Any idea where I could find a recap?  (I only knew to look here).

Last question - I promise!

On 5/30/2020 at 11:36 PM, Irlandesa said:

I don't really know of one place but here's a recap of season .

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/the-split-series-1-recap-what-happened-last-time/

Thank you!!

9 hours ago, hummingbird said:

Just found and love ❤️ it

would love to watch season 1 too cheap to pay for it tho 

It’s available on prime for $$ / ep I think 

I’m too cheap, too!  (And I’m not signed up with Prime, so the recap will have to do before watching season 2).

"Charles? Modern art is all bosh isn't it?"

"Great bosh Cordelia."

Watching an episode of the 1981 miniseries Brideshead Revisited every Sunday night is a great way to spend a quarantine!

Edited by VCRTracking

Any of my fellow UK TV fans watched This Is England?  I wasn't familiar with it, but a friend gave me the DVDs of the movie and the series last weekend and I have been obsessed ever since.  Especially with Woody and Lol.  I love Vicky McClure on Line of Duty, so it was great to see her doing something so different, but I'd never even heard of Joe Gilgun before.  Good lord, that man is a brilliant, brilliant actor (with an accent I could listen to all day) and I'm now going to watch everything he's ever been in.  

On 6/23/2019 at 7:52 PM, GaT said:

Anybody here watch "The Repair Shop"? I love that show, I'm hoping there will be a series 5.

I just received an email from Netflix that they’ve just released new episodes! Yay!

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

I just received an email from Netflix that they’ve just released new episodes! Yay!

🤸‍♀️🤸‍♀️🤸‍♀️🤸‍♀️

I'm currently binge-watching "Money for Nothing" (BBC show). Each episode, a furniture restorer/upcycler salvages 3 items from the recycling center. The items are given to various professional restorers/furniture makers in UK who either restore them (usually with a twist) or turn them into something totally different. The items are then sold online, and the profit (minus the restoring cost) is given back to the person who was throwing away the item in the first place.

There's a handful of presenters (including Jay Blades from The Repair Shop) and various professionals from all over the country. It's really fun to watch, you learn stuff and get inspiration in the process, and some transformations are really spectacular. The 9th season just finished, you can find many old episodes on YouTube.

I will definitely have a look at "The Repair Shop", it seems to be in the same spirit, thanks for pointing it out.

I came over here to mention the new episodes of The Repair Shop. I've watched a few so far and am not disappointed. Thanks for the links to the Will Kirk info. He's certainly not hard to watch. Just saying. 

• Love 1

I'm a long time Eastenders fan but I'm about to bail.  They did me a favor by getting the Miller family out, but OMG--I freaking HATE Bianca and her shrill voice and her kids.  I know we are WAY behind UK, but I don't think I can last much longer.  And  Max Branning?--totally repulsive. I do love me some Dot--her quoting Scripture all the time is endearing.

Like--they are on thin ice with me....

I love 'Shakespeare and Hathaway', but I just had to turn off an episode from the 3rd/newest season called 'Oh, Thou Invisible Spirt of Wine'. One of the characters was (I think) an Deaf woman who was an obnoxious 'ghost hunter'. She could speak (ie, she wasn't mute), and was very animated, but between her deafness-affected speech and her English accent, I couldn't figure out WTH she was saying. CC didn't help either. I think this was a nice gesture by whoever agreed to this casting, but at least for this viewer it made the episode unwatchable. JMO.

Binged two new Sky series: the comedy BLOODS starring Jane Horrocks and Samson Kayo and the period piece drama DOMINA. Since DOMINA covers Livia Drusilla's rise the cast is split between the younger version of the characters and the older ones.  The younger Liiva and Gaius are played by Nadia Parkes and Tom Glynn-Carney and the older versions played by Kasia Smutniak and Matthew McNulty. 

Some people who are sticklers may hate DOMINA because there are some very modern takes on phrases that sometimes takes one out of the story, but it's compelling.  

BLOODS, to me, is hysterical. I hate that there are only six episodes.  It's one of the few ensemble comedies where every character is a win. No wasted character in the bunch. 

On 5/16/2021 at 8:06 PM, AngieBee1 said:

Binged two new Sky series: the comedy BLOODS starring Jane Horrocks and Samson Kayo and the period piece drama DOMINA. Since DOMINA covers Livia Drusilla's rise the cast is split between the younger version of the characters and the older ones.  The younger Liiva and Gaius are played by Nadia Parkes and Tom Glynn-Carney and the older versions played by Kasia Smutniak and Matthew McNulty. 

Some people who are sticklers may hate DOMINA because there are some very modern takes on phrases that sometimes takes one out of the story, but it's compelling.  

BLOODS, to me, is hysterical. I hate that there are only six episodes.  It's one of the few ensemble comedies where every character is a win. No wasted character in the bunch. 

I love Jane Horrocks! She was so very brilliant in the long ago movie Little Voice with Brenda Blethyn, Michael Caine and Ewen McGregor. I’ll look to see how I can find BLOODS. Thanks for the recommendation!

Watching the new Britbox drama THE BEAST MUST DIE starring Cush Jumbo, Billy Howle and Jared Harris.   Good stuff so far.  The first two episodes dropped with subsequent episodes every Thursday. 

On 4/8/2021 at 12:40 PM, sempervivum said:

I love 'Shakespeare and Hathaway', but I just had to turn off an episode from the 3rd/newest season called 'Oh, Thou Invisible Spirt of Wine'. One of the characters was (I think) an Deaf woman who was an obnoxious 'ghost hunter'. She could speak (ie, she wasn't mute), and was very animated, but between her deafness-affected speech and her English accent, I couldn't figure out WTH she was saying. CC didn't help either. I think this was a nice gesture by whoever agreed to this casting, but at least for this viewer it made the episode unwatchable. JMO.

She’s not deaf. She’s a British comedian who has cerebral palsy. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosie_Jones_(comedian)

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, khyber said:

Really enjoying We are Lady Parts.

I am really loving it.  Channel 4 always have such bold comedies.  Nice seeing David Avery who plays Saira's boyfriend in this. I enjoyed the times he played Freddie Mercury in Sky's "Urban Myths".

I watched the first two episodes of THE PACT and decided to wait for a time to actually sit with it and pay attention and I finally got to it. So glad I went back to it. It was fantastic.  Loved that the characters that seemed to be ancillary turned out to be vital to the series. 

Edited by AngieBee1

W1A was HYSTERICAL! I binged the whole thing in one day. To me, Jessica Hynes can do no wrong from back in the Spaced days and Hugh Bonneville was a treat. Wish I could find Twenty Twelve (the prequel of sorts) on steaming somewhere….

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 7/22/2021 at 11:44 AM, TaraS1 said:

I just finished S2 of This Way Up, with Aisling Bea, on Hulu - so, so good!

Agreed! It has its own forum: https://forums.primetimer.com/forum/4564-this-way-up/

I was excited to find out that Garth Marenghi's Darkplace is finally available to stream in the US (on Amazon Prime). I love it for not only being so funny and bizarre and for poking fun at my favorite genre, but also for introducing me to Richard Ayoade and Matt Berry.

• Love 1

A few good shows I'm currently watching: 

THE CLEANER  (BBC One) - Adapted from the German series Der Tatortreiniger, Greg Davies writes and stars in this 30-minute comedy about a crime scene cleaner. Each episode is self-contained like a one-act play. Guest stars includes Helena Bonham-Carter, David Mitchell, Layton Williams and Jo Hartley. 

VIGIL (BBC One) - Tapped out after two episodes. A drama about the investigation surrounding a murder on a submarine. Stars Suranne Jones and several Game of Thrones alums like Rose Leslie, Stephen Dillane and Daniel Portman.

ANNIKA (Vigil) - Engaging procedural starring Nicola Walker as DI over Marine Homicide in Scotland. 

CODE 404 (Sky One) - Series Two of the cop comedy starring Daniel Mays and Stephen Graham as friends/partners, the former now a cyborg after being killed in the field. 

KIN (RTE and AMC+) - Irish crime family drama starring Charlie Cox, Emmett Scanlan, Aidan Gillen and Ciarán Hinds.  Cox stars as Michael who has just been released after doing 8 years in jail. Determined to get his daughter back, he is striving to deny the lure of the return to his family's crime dealings. 

I just burned through all three seasons of Motherland (I signed up for a month of AMC + for $.99 through Amazon Prime) and OMG, it was fantastic!  I've always loved Lucy Punch (I still curse Fox for canceling Ben & Kate) but I wanted to try this because of Anna Maxwell Martin, and she was fabulous in it!  I had only seen her in Line of Duty, so this was a complete 180 and she was just as brilliant at comedy as she is with drama.  I highly, highly recommend it.  

A lot of riveting telly lately.

A trio of Sheridan Smith mini-series:

NO RETURN: About a family who is on holiday in Turkey when their teenage son (Louis Ashbourne-Serkis) is arrested for the sexual assault of another teenaged boy. It follows the family trying to find a way to get him released as they battle a legal system that is quite different than theirs.

FOUR LIVES: Based on the true story of the Grindr Killer. It centers on the family/friends of four young men who are found dead in similar fashion and their journey in trying to get the incompetent police to listen to them. Stephen Merchant stars as the killer.

THE TEACHER: Sheridan Smith stars as a comely teacher who is prone to over indulgence. After a blackout she's accused of having sex with one of her students.

CHEATERS: An eighteen part series in 10-minute chunks which centers on a pair of travelers - one married, another in a long-term relationship (Susan Wokoma and Joshua McGuire) whose flight is delayed. The two have a one-night stand and when they return to London they discover they are neighbors. The show is about how they deal with their growing feelings for each other and their partners(Callie Cooke and Jack Fox).

THE TOURIST: An Australian mini that aired on the BBC and will air on HBO Max in March, starring Jamie Dornan as an amnesiac in Australia trying to uncover is identity with Danielle Macdonald as the rookie cop investigating his accident but is compelled to help him solve who he is. It did excellent in the ratings. I loved it. Excellent turn by Dornan.

THIS IS GOING TO HURT: Incredible series with Ben Whishaw, based on the true story of doctor Adam Kay. It details his time as a doc in obstectricts/gynecology department.

A VERY BRITISH SCANDAL: - The follow-up to A VERY ENGLISH SCANDAL. This time with the focus on the marriage and subsequent scandalous divorce of Margaret and Ian Campbell (Claire Foy and Paul Bettany). Remarkable performance by both. Outstanding script.

• Love 2

If you've enjoyed The Repair Shop episodes that were on Netflix awhile back, great news. The Discovery channel is airing newer episodes (repeats but newer than the offerings on Netflix). I've set the DVR. Lately they are running about three episodes in a row on some weekdays. It's forumulaic as to "plot": three people bring it items of some sentimental value (usually because of family but not always), each item is restored, person is usually in tears when presented with the mended/refreshed/conserved item. But the items in question have provided enough variety that I'm not tired of the show yet. 

• Love 2
On 3/16/2022 at 11:18 AM, Jeeves said:

If you've enjoyed The Repair Shop episodes that were on Netflix awhile back, great news. The Discovery channel is airing newer episodes...

Just discovered this great show. Nice, calm, relaxing hour with a wonderfully personable cast.

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Love 4

I just caught a couple of British shows that were mildy entertaining, if you like picker-type stuff. These are both on EarthxTV.

One is Salvage Hunters, basically American Pickers but more interesting (to me) because it's 1) set in pretty places in England 2) the finds are actually old and often very weird. They also occasionally fix up or modify the finds, as on Salvage Dawgs.

The other is Money for Nothing; the host goes to recycling centers and talks people into giving him their junk items. He has 3 'experts' who then transform the items- some successfully, some...eh. They sell the items and give the profit to the original owners. Not must-see TV, but if you're an Anglophile and like DIY projects, it's amusing.

• Like 1