Type keyword(s) to search

U.K. TV

zxy556575
  • Start Topic

Catch-all topic for sitcoms, dramas, chat, and reality shows new and old from the U.K. that don't have their own threads.

I'm currently re-watching Back in Time for Dinner, about a family who lives and eats in a different decade each episode. It's a light, fun show that primarily focuses on food, but what's most amazing is that the production actually remodeled the family's house to suit each time period. It's available on You Tube. There are interesting historical asides; for example, I don't think I quite realized how long rationing went on after WWII was over. I was also a little surprised, for no good reason, to see so many grocery  brands/products from the U.S.

The wife had a bit of a hard time slogging through the 50s and 60s because of the kitchen drudgery and started to get a bit resentful. The 70s cheered her up, though. Fondue!

There's a whole clutch of similar shows featuring Sue Perkins and Giles Coren living and eating and attempting recreational activities in various eras: Back in Time for the Weekend, Back in Time for Dinner, Giles and Sue Live the Good Life, The Supersizers Eat..., and probably others I'm missing. I'm fond of Sue but Giles can be  a bit of slog for me, especially if he's eating. For a damned restaurant critic he slurps and chews like a starving two-year old who hasn't learned table manners yet.

• Love 6

So, last night I gave in to temptation and re-subscribed to Acorn TV. I had a subscription a few years ago when I'd dropped cable TV, but let it expire after I re-upped with cable TV. I may exhaust Acorn's possibilities in a month or so, but there are several shows available that are on my watchlist.

Last night I watched Wallis and Edward, a 2005 [made for TV?] movie starring Joely Richardson and Stephen Campbell Moore. It was much more realistic and less treacly than the 1978 mini-series Edward and Mrs. Simpson, which BTW is also still available on Acorn. 

I also watched a bit of the Agatha Raisin pilot, and will come back to it later. I've read almost all the books in the series and enjoyed what I saw of the show so far. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Last night I watched Wallis and Edward, a 2005 [made for TV?] movie starring Joely Richardson and Stephen Campbell Moore. It was much more realistic and less treacly than the 1978 mini-series Edward and Mrs. Simpson, which BTW is also still available on Acorn. 

I'll have to check out that movie. I've been in a bit of a rut lately with mystery shows.

I've typically had a hard time with U.K. sitcoms and comedies in general; different comedic sensibilities, maybe? I recently watched a few episodes of Miranda and although I liked Miranda Hart a lot and enjoyed the show, it wasn't enough to keep me going. Same with The Vicar Of Dibley and Gavin & Stacey, although I lasted a bit longer with those before giving up.

I'm going to try again with Poldark since season two is out. I didn't make it through the first episode and am thinking I didn't give it a fair chance

• Love 2

I know what you mean about Brit comedies. I haven't counted, but I'm probably about 50/50 as to whether I "get" the comedy in a Brit series or not. I really enjoyed The Vicar of Dibley, but Father Ted, not so much, just as an example. I think it's partly the cultural divide, and also to some degree just my personal taste. I've never been a big fan of slapstick or really gross-out humor, no matter what country it comes from. For more examples, I never thought Jerry Lewis was at all funny, or Red Skelton. 

And I do not know why, but despite having seen probably every episode at least twice? I can still crack up over the totally corny and ridiculous Are You Being Served?

I've never tried Poldark, don't know why, it just didn't appeal to me at the time I was browsing shows to watch. 

EDITED later to add: Another Brit mini series I liked a lot, which is on Amazon Prime Video: Doctor Thorne. Alison Brie was marvelous in her role as a rich American, and I loved Tom Hollander in the title role.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Puddy said:

Rising Damp is a must.  I am still missing John Thaw as Inspector Morse.

The best show ever?  To the Manor Born.

Oh, yes - To the Manor Born. Loved that show, but it would be hard to not like a show starring Penelope Keith and Peter Bowles in their prime.

I think I still have some of my Inspector Morse soundtrack CDs around here somewhere. Prized purchases on a couple of trips to the UK long ago. I'm saving up the final eps of Inspector Lewis, sort of. Meaning I haven't watched them yet because I don't want it to be over. I do love Lewis.

Good times.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 4

I tripped over another series on YT called Fake or Fortune that features art experts evaluating a piece and deciding whether it's genuine and by a specific artist. It's a very gentle and PBS-like show but interesting to learn about various artists and how trails are followed to uncover provenance and other clues to authenticate. There are five seasons but it's easy to dip in and out at any point since each episode is self-contained. There's a bit of tension with the big reveal and the owners' excitement to hear the result.

Watching these also brought up a documentary called The Artful Codgers that I enjoyed, about a family of art forgers who "conned the art world with a series of fakes made in the garden shed of their shared council house in suburban Bolton."

• Love 1

Well, given my user name and avatar, it's not hard to guess what my favorite show is. I can watch the Good Life (which was shown here on PBS as Good Neighbors) over and over and never get tired of it. It's by far my favorite comedy on either side of Atlantic. Everyone in it was so perfect, especially Penelope Keith. I enjoyed To the Manor Born but it just wasn't the same. There were a few other series from way back that I enjoyed as well, Reggie Perrin, Agony, Butterflies… I gave Father Ted, Keeping Up Appearances and Only Fools and Horses a try but couldn't get past a few episodes. I do like Vicar of Dibley though, mainly because of Dawn French.

Right now, my daughter and I are hooked on quiz shows. QI, Never Mind the Buzzcocks prior to Simon Amstell's departure) in their heyday, and now Pointless, Only Connect and University Challenge, because we love feeling stupid—although it makes us feel better that there seem to be just as many people in Britain who don't know who their prime minister is (according to the answers on Pointless) as there are people in the US who couldn't find it on a map. We do pretty well on Pointless unless it's about football.

We also have a New Year's tradition of watching Big Fat Quiz of the Year. And of course, The Great British Bake Off, but now that's as good as dead. :(

• Love 2
On September 12, 2016 at 10:17 AM, lordonia said:

I tripped over another series on YT called Fake or Fortune that features art experts evaluating a piece and deciding whether it's genuine and by a specific artist. It's a very gentle and PBS-like show but interesting to learn about various artists and how trails are followed to uncover provenance and other clues to authenticate.

Shows like that often air in the US on Ovationtv.com. That's also where I saw Bertie and Elizabeth (starring James Wilby and Juliet Aubrey) and The Lost Prince (about Prince John, son of George V).

• Love 2
On 9/13/2016 at 0:41 PM, Margo Leadbetter said:

Well, given my user name and avatar, it's not hard to guess what my favorite show is. I can watch the Good Life (which was shown here on PBS as Good Neighbors) over and over and never get tired of it. It's by far my favorite comedy on either side of Atlantic

I've never heard of it but will give it a go after such a heartfelt recommendation. :)

I caught part of a show yesterday called One Man and His Dog about sheepdog trials that had been on the air since 1976. It was the most British thing ever; each trial had to be completed in 15 minutes, so there was basically a lot of whistling and shouting at dogs by their handlers and five sheep being herded hither and yon. I watched two contestants before tapping out.

Are there any fellow English viewers in here?

I highly recommend The I.T. Crowd, The Inbetweeners and Being Human (naturally, I mean the UK ones, as I believe there were US remakes). The first two are sitcoms and the third is a dark humour drama about a ghost, a vampire and a werewolf who all live together. All three shows have ended their run, however, if you disliked Father Ted the sitcoms may not be to your taste.

• Love 6
On 9/13/2016 at 11:41 AM, Margo Leadbetter said:

Penelope Keith.

Penelope Keith, wonderful in To The Manor Born, has done historical/reality type shows besides playing Lady Catherine de Bourgh on Death Comes to Pemberly.   There was Penelope Keith's Hidden Villages, I think I have an episode of it somewhere, and then this year there was Penelope Keith at Her Majesty's Service.  I think I have that whole series, but haven't watched much of it because I have absolutely nowhere to talk about it. 

Some UK comedies are just not that good,  They have a second series of Josh, which I didn't care for, or Flat TV, which was pretty bad, IMO,

There are some nice quiet shows, like Mum, and Love Nina, and there are always numerous murder mystery series every year.

Upstart Crow was interesting, a fake Shakespeare biography, and of course the UK version of Drunk History is fun. 

In the good wacky shows category, Witless was pretty funny, and Wasted, which featured the guy who played the best friend on Pramface.  I think Pramface may still be on Hulu for free.    I hated the Windsors, which tried to parody the royal family. 

The UK has great "quiz" shows, like QI and Mock the Week, which are sometimes available on YT.   I found most of the episodes of Buzzcocks that I've seen annoying rather than entertaining.   A League Of Their Own has started up its 11th? season, unfortunately still apparently hosted by James Corden.  I haven't watched it in a while, but I like Freddie Flintoff. 

I came into this section trying to find the thread for AM Joy, but I found this one instead. 

• Love 3
On 9/13/2016 at 0:41 PM, Margo Leadbetter said:

Well, given my user name and avatar, it's not hard to guess what my favorite show is. I can watch the Good Life (which was shown here on PBS as Good Neighbors) over and over and never get tired of it.

I LOVE MARGO. Writing letters to The Times, not forgiving Canada for getting a flag, the music society -- Penelope Keith captured lightening in a bottle with her work there -- annoying, charming, funny, stuffy, occasionally even a bit sexy , in her seventies halter dresses and side parted hair --  Margo is everything. (Also love  Barbara -- Felicity Kendall could've been so twee, but she's not.)

Currently obsessed with Grand Designs and British Bakeoff (if I could combine the two, I'd be enthralled and never leave you tube -- baking scones in a Georgian townhouse being renovated? -- screw off world, I'm lost, gone, DONE!) 

Edited by film noire
  • Love 3

I know this is a long shot, but you never know until you ask.

I am currently trying to teach myself Gaelic and Irish and was wondering if anyone knew of any UK and Irish TV shows spoken in those languages.  I am currently watching Machair and Bannan which is in Gaelic and No Bearla! which is in Irish.

Coming in to Not recommend Zapped, with James Buckley from Inbetweeners as a tech guy who gets zapped into some kind of medieval fantasy cosplay world.  It's somewhere between Yonderland and This is Jinsy.   Steve Coogan and  Sharon Rooney are the best in it.   I may eventually watch the rest, because I don't like to miss anything with Steve Coogan.  

Yonderland has apparently started it's third season.  I only watched the first.  It seemed like a children's program to me. 

Edited by atomationage
tense
  • Love 1

Love British TV!  Just finished Detectorists on Acorn.  I wasn't sure at first, but I ended up really liking it.  Quirky characters and sweet and funny moments.  Every episode is written and directed by Mackenzie Crook (The Office).

• Love 4
2 hours ago, tvguru94 said:

Love British TV!  Just finished Detectorists on Acorn.  I wasn't sure at first, but I ended up really liking it.  Quirky characters and sweet and funny moments.  Every episode is written and directed by Mackenzie Crook (The Office).

Oh! I assumed that was a non-fiction show similar to Diggers in the U.S. I'll have to give it a try.

• Love 1
On 10/31/2016 at 8:47 PM, tvguru94 said:

Detectorists is also on Netflix.

Edited by editorgrrl
Added a trailer.

I needed some no-stress TV to watch this week. If it's full of Brits, all the better. Thank goodness, 30 episodes of a program called Heir Hunters are now streaming on Netflix. I've dabbled enough in genealogy to appreciate the work the heir hunters do. TBH I just like to watch see the people on the show going about their work, and seeing the street scenes and interiors of homes, and listening to so many of the heirs and friends/family of the deceased folks. I could totally see that this show would bore the pants off a lot of people, but I had a grand time streaming it for hours at a time. 

They've selected many interesting cases to show. I got snippets of history, glimpses into the real lives of real people, and even some street and traffic scenes that reminded me of my trips to the UK. Armchair travel is better than none at all, I suppose. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, lordonia said:

Thanks for the recommendation. I've finished all the shows I've been catching up on and need something to distract me instead of overposting here. ;)

You're welcome. Having watched all the episodes on Netflix, I explored and found some more previews and episodes on YouTube. It seems that the show is still in production. The episodes on Netflix date from about 2010, so it's having a long run.

• Love 1

Well, it's been quiet around here!

Thanks to the BBC America topic over at Network Talk, I learned of the new streaming channel Britbox. I signed up last night and it's up and running on my Roku. Right now I'm watching the 2014 version of Mapp and Lucia - marvelous!

There seems to be a mix of oldies but goodies - "Are You Being Served?", "Keeping Up Appearances," "As Time Goes By," and a lot of more recent shows - including a lot that are new to me. I'm still exploring.

Earlier this morning I watched the March 9 edition of "The Papers," the BBC's discussion of the current headlines. 

So I'm in hog heaven right now with Britbox. The first week is free. I'll probably stick with it after that, and end my AcornTV subscription. I've enjoyed Acorn but am not watching very much on it lately. I don't know if Britbox is "better," but it's a different lineup I'm looking forward to exploring.

• Love 1

I agree about Acorn. I signed up and watched everything that interested me in about a month, then cancelled it. There's a new show coming up called Striking Out that I may activate my subscription again to watch. It's a legal series from Ireland.

I've been watching the first seasons of ITV dramas The Good Karma Hospital and The Halcyon and enjoying them. Karma is a hospital show set in India, with an evocative setting and a bit of whimsy. The Halcyon is a period piece about a hotel in London during WWII and features the owners, staff, and guests, with an espionage subplot thrown in.

• Love 3

I watched the show Free Rein which was released back in June in both the UK and the USA. Season 1 which is 10 episodes can be viewed on Netflix and the show is pretty good especially if you have a liking to horses like I do. The show revolves around an 15 year old American Girl named Zoe who leaves with her Mom and younger Sister for a change of scenery to the countryside town in the UK. She meets up with some girls who ride and a young women who trains. She takes a liking to this one specific horse named Raven which is quite wild and the horse takes a liking to her. The show is quite interesting I in my opinion will be worth going back to once Season 2 starts up again I believe in early 2018.

On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 3:29 AM, Puddy said:

Rising Damp is a must.  I am still missing John Thaw as Inspector Morse.

The best show ever?  To the Manor Born.

Agree. I watch Acorn more than regular tv here.

• Love 1

I pretty much mainly watch UK shows. I love all the documentaries on Acorn. I've watched all the Martin Clune ones and the Penelope Keith ones. 

I'm obsessed with the show Escape To The Country. I discovered it on Youtube. That is my kind of house hunting show.

• Love 3
On 9/4/2016 at 8:22 AM, Lord Donia said:

Catch-all topic for sitcoms, dramas, chat, and reality shows new and old from the U.K. that don't have their own threads.

I'm currently re-watching Back in Time for Dinner, about a family who lives and eats in a different decade each episode. It's a light, fun show that primarily focuses on food, but what's most amazing is that the production actually remodeled the family's house to suit each time period. It's available on You Tube. There are interesting historical asides; for example, I don't think I quite realized how long rationing went on after WWII was over. I was also a little surprised, for no good reason, to see so many grocery  brands/products from the U.S.

The wife had a bit of a hard time slogging through the 50s and 60s because of the kitchen drudgery and started to get a bit resentful. The 70s cheered her up, though. Fondue!

There's a whole clutch of similar shows featuring Sue Perkins and Giles Coren living and eating and attempting recreational activities in various eras: Back in Time for the Weekend, Back in Time for Dinner, Giles and Sue Live the Good Life, The Supersizers Eat..., and probably others I'm missing. I'm fond of Sue but Giles can be  a bit of slog for me, especially if he's eating. For a damned restaurant critic he slurps and chews like a starving two-year old who hasn't learned table manners yet.

FYI - there's a Back in Time forum if you want to discuss the show in more detail!

On 11/13/2017 at 1:11 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

I pretty much mainly watch UK shows. I love all the documentaries on Acorn. I've watched all the Martin Clune ones and the Penelope Keith ones. 

I'm obsessed with the show Escape To The Country. I discovered it on Youtube. That is my kind of house hunting show.

Escape to the Country is pure comfort. I use to watch to relax after school days.

I have been watching Rising Damp as my partner has it and many classic UK comedies on DVD.

Have gotten addicted to University Challenge again and wish to discuss it, but it doesn't seem like anyone else on the forums watches it to do so.

I've found some UK shows on Netflix lately. Just binge-streamed House Doctor hosted by Tracy Metro, an American who seems to have deeper credentials as a performer than as a designer, but whatever. It's the same concept as the first seasons of the show, from I think the late 90's (!!), hosted by Ann Maurice (also an American). Someone owns a home that they need/want to sell, which has been on the market but spurned by buyers. The perky and ebullient Tracy comes in, we see what the problems are, there are some so-called "hidden camera" visits by potential buyers who then opine how horrible the place is because of X and Y. Then Tracy and her crew fix the two rooms that are X and Y, there's a reveal with the homeowners, a followup "hidden camera" tour by the same buyers who then rain praise down upon the property. And everyone lives happily ever after. 

I like Tracy's warmth - Ann Maurice was IIRC comparatively colder and snarkier. In the 20 new episodes streaming on Netflix, there was I think only one homeowner who really resisted Tracy's attempts to fix up the house. I think that in the good old days long past, it was much more likely that a homeowner would be truly oblivious to what was wrong with the house and uncooperative with efforts to fix it. I suppose by now everybody in Britain has seen one or another of these real estate/decorating/DIY shows. Not so much of that kind of drah-mah in the new episodes. There was one woman who hated what Tracy did to lighten up her horrendously dark and pretentious traditional decor (the house was great but after umpteen viewings there had been no offers). TBH I think that woman should never have agreed to be on the show at all. She was an anxious mess. 

• Love 1
On 6/17/2018 at 6:46 PM, Jeeves said:

I've found some UK shows on Netflix lately. Just binge-streamed House Doctor hosted by Tracy Metro, an American who seems to have deeper credentials as a performer than as a designer, but whatever. It's the same concept as the first seasons of the show, from I think the late 90's (!!), hosted by Ann Maurice (also an American). Someone owns a home that they need/want to sell, which has been on the market but spurned by buyers. The perky and ebullient Tracy comes in, we see what the problems are, there are some so-called "hidden camera" visits by potential buyers who then opine how horrible the place is because of X and Y. Then Tracy and her crew fix the two rooms that are X and Y, there's a reveal with the homeowners, a followup "hidden camera" tour by the same buyers who then rain praise down upon the property. And everyone lives happily ever after. 

I like Tracy's warmth - Ann Maurice was IIRC comparatively colder and snarkier. In the 20 new episodes streaming on Netflix, there was I think only one homeowner who really resisted Tracy's attempts to fix up the house. I think that in the good old days long past, it was much more likely that a homeowner would be truly oblivious to what was wrong with the house and uncooperative with efforts to fix it. I suppose by now everybody in Britain has seen one or another of these real estate/decorating/DIY shows. Not so much of that kind of drah-mah in the new episodes. There was one woman who hated what Tracy did to lighten up her horrendously dark and pretentious traditional decor (the house was great but after umpteen viewings there had been no offers). TBH I think that woman should never have agreed to be on the show at all. She was an anxious mess. 

I’ve watched a few. I wish she wouldn’t paint the furniture so much, though. [I DO love that camera will focus on sloppiness/missed spots.] The ombré chairs were the worst, and I agreed with the homeowner when he asked, “Why didn’t you finish?” 

Overall, it’s watchable. And you’re right, she’s not mean or too snarky. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, AnnieBeez said:

I’ve watched a few. I wish she wouldn’t paint the furniture so much, though. [I DO love that camera will focus on sloppiness/missed spots.] The ombré chairs were the worst, and I agreed with the homeowner when he asked, “Why didn’t you finish?” 

Overall, it’s watchable. And you’re right, she’s not mean or too snarky. 

Oh, gosh, those ombre chairs. Fug-lee to the max. It looked like Tracy started the ombre treatment on the first chair, and loved it. And then she had her assistants finish that one and do all the rest the same way. I can imagine there was some eye-rolling behind her back over that. Because, there's offbeat and fun, and then - there are those strange randomly half-painted ombre chairs. 

Last night I (re) watched a few episodes of Sarah Beeny's Selling Houses on Netflix. I'd run through them awhile back but more as background than to really watch. This is a concept that gives the homeowners' personalities and tastes much more scope than the House Doctor does. Three homeowners with similar properties, one potential buyer. We hear what the buyer is looking for, see the three houses. The homeowners visit each others' properties to suss out the competition. Then each homeowner gets £1000 and a week to fix up their property, with some input from Sarah. But Sarah doesn't do design, just design tips for selling.

One of the first episodes included a couple looking to sell their large home in which they'd lived for 40+ years and raised a family. It was a very nice house; they sounded like educated responsible people. The husband said the house had actually been in the family for 80 years, and the wife said that when they moved in they had to gut and rehab it.

The house was clean and orderly, as far as we saw, but predictably old-fashioned in decor with patterned carpet. AND every room was "graced" with displays of the wife's countless "collections." All sorts of tatty crap, like china thimbles and cups and figurines and heaven knows what. The wife was stubborn and in scene after scene not open to taking down anything for a minute. The husband was more realistic and though he was quiet and not a ranter, you could tell he was just *over* her endless "collections." It smacked just a bit of those cleanup scenes from the hoarding shows, where the hoarder fusses at everything. She was shown getting warped out of shape when her husband was packing some of the crap into a box. "No! Those don't go there! They'll get broken! Carry them carefully into the other room and put them on the mantelpiece. Careful now!" The camera got a closeup. It was three really ugly blown-glass dogs, like super-stretch dachshunds. Did I mention they were really ugly? That couple got a few spaces cleaned and freshened up. And then the old beyotch sat there in her nice newly carpeted and painted and decluttered sitting room (not paid for out of their pocket), and smugly said, well there's going to be things put back in here tomorrow. Loathed her. I felt sorry for her husband. Wanted to get him out and down to the pub for a pint and little fun. But I had to admit, it was much better drah-mah than the House Doctor, lol.

• Love 1

Has anyone watched Bliss? I just started watching it. I want to finish it but I'm finding the male character a complete ass. Why would these woman want him, lol. 

How can he afford 2 families?  Stealing travel reviews online must pay incredibly well.

Edited by Coffeewinewater
(edited)

I came across an enjoyable UK show on one of the local PBS stations. It's called Shakespeare & Hathaway: Private Investigators and has apparently had 2 seasons/series so far with a total of 20 episodes. It started last year. The first episode explains how the two come together as investigative partners. I liked the show because it kinda reminded me of the ones that aired on the USA Network during their Characters Welcome period before they changed directions to the stuff they air now. It's on BritBox too apparently.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, Jaded said:

I came across an enjoyable UK show on one of the local PBS stations. It's called Shakespeare & Hathaway: Private Investigators and has apparently had 2 seasons/series so far with a total of 20 episodes. It started last year. The first episode explains how the two come together as investigative partners. I liked the show because it kinda reminded me of the ones that aired on the USA Network during their Characters Welcome period before they changed directions to the stuff they air now. It's on BritBox too apparently.

It is a fantastic show. I watched it on britbox.  Still waiting for season 2 to show up on there.

The characters have great chemistry.  I don't think we will have to worry about a "will they? or won't they?"  As a second hand storyline,  which always seems to happen when a there is a lead Male and Female on a show. 

Edited by Coffeewinewater
  • Love 2

It's so frustrating when British series get cut for time when shown in the US. I was disappointed to find out that PBS edits Unforgotten and Endeavour, but even shows streaming on Hulu like New Tricks and Silent Witness seem to have a good chunk of time cut out.

On a more positive note, I saw some ads for the recent BBC comedy Ghosts and I really hope that becomes available here soon. It has many of the same actors from Yonderland and Horrible Histories and looks like a lot of fun.

And I was surprised to learn that another attempt at an American remake of Peep Show is in the works, but with 2 female leads. That's one of my all-time favorite comedies, so I'm not excited by the news but can't help feeling mildly curious about it.