Type keyword(s) to search

Detective and Mystery Shows

zxy556575
  • Start Topic

With a tip of the hat to Al Lowe's Wheel of Murder, this is a place to discuss various gumshoes, police, and nosy neighbors who solve crimes.

A few I've been watching recently:

The  Brokenwood Mysteries: Set in a fictional small town in Australia, it features an older grizzled male with a younger female detective. He's not exactly tortured but marches a bit to his own drummer. The mysteries and characters are interesting enough and credulity is not overly strained. It's like an easy listening music station. Two seasons of four episodes each, with a third upcoming.

Chasing Shadows: England. Brilliant male detective in the Sherlock mode who doesn't communicate well/at all and has been reassigned to Missing Persons because he doesn't follow rules and nobody can stand him. He's paired with a female analyst/social worker from the Missing Persons Bureau, so it's the old robot/human template of partners. One season of four episodes. I loved it but if you're weary of perhaps-on-the-spectrum protagonists, it might not be your cuppa.

Single-Handed: Police detective returns to his small town in West Ireland to become chief after his father retires. Police and community corruption and his own father's possible involvement in same underlie his investigation of other murders. Two seasons of three 100 minute episodes each. I liked it overall but would have preferred it without the focus on his dratted romantic entanglements.

The Field of Blood: Set in 1982 Glasgow. Two seasons of two episodes each. Gutsy young girl working at the local newspaper tries to make her mark investigating crimes. The protagonist is appealing although the throwback to the casual sexual discrimination of previous decades may be less so (although that's the point).

Without Motive: British Detective Constable investigates a serial killer, to the detriment of his family life. Two seasons of six episodes. I liked this but the season-long focus on one plot requires more of an investment from viewers to follow along.

Whitechapel: The Brits like their crime series! Ambitious young DI in the Whitechapel district of London. Four seasons of 3-6 episodes focus on different crimes. The cast is appealing and the mysteries have a touch of the macabre.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 5

I'm currently watching the Jack Irish series from Australia and man, those accents are tough going. I need to closely follow the closed captions to understand even half of it. It's not a pleasant accent to my ear, either.*

The story is good otherwise; ex attorney on the skids after his wife was murdered, scraping by as a debt collector and bargain basement private investigator. There were three TV movies, then a six-episode series.

* Not that people in other countries think an American accent is lilting or sexy, so I'm not mad at it.

• Love 1

@lordonia - are you watching shows on Acorn TV? Even if you aren't, I'm gonna blame you because last night I renewed my Acorn TV subscription, re-added the Acorn channel to my Rokus, and binge-watched Brit TV until way past my bedtime. OK, just kidding about blaming you.

Jack Irish is one of the shows available on Acorn, along with several other crime/mystery shows. I actually watched historical dramas last night, but Jack Irish is on my watchlist. 

[A few years ago I dropped TV from my cable package, just keeping the internet and phone service. I live in a condo in a city with a lot of good over the air stations and I get great OTA reception here. I added an Acorn subscription and enjoyed their shows a lot; I still have my Netflix and Amazon Prime video accounts. Once I restored cable TV two years ago, I didn't renew my Acorn account, but now I'm trying it for a month to see how much I'll use it, and if it's worth paying for the annual subscription.]

@Jeeves and @SeriousPurrs -- Most of those I've been watching recently are Acorn. I'm trying to cram in as many as I can in 30 days before canceling. It's a good channel to add/drop since it's a month by month add-on subscription through Amazon Prime for me. They don't have an extensive catalog of shows I'm interested in, anyway.

5 hours ago, Jeeves said:

... last night I renewed my Acorn TV subscription, re-added the Acorn channel to my Rokus, and binge-watched Brit TV until way past my bedtime. OK, just kidding about blaming you.

Which shows did you watch? Any favorites?

Whitechapel is on Amazon Prime. I have that, Hulu and Netflix and occasionally scrounge some older stuff up on You Tube. In my financial defense, I recently reclaimed $120/month by canceling cable entirely.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2

Oh my gosh, tell me somebody has watched Cracker with Robbie Coltrane! I'm finding him to be such a horrifyingly awful person that I can't stomach watching. The series is very popular, won awards, and has good customer reviews, so it must be me?

• Love 1
On 9/11/2016 at 10:07 AM, Jeeves said:

I renewed my Acorn TV subscription, re-added the Acorn channel to my Rokus, and binge-watched Brit TV

I just got a Roku and was thrilled to add Acorn TV to my channels. I love British tv and it has my Marple! I zipped through Winter and am currently watching The Brokenwood Mysteries.

• Love 2

Anyone watched DCI Banks?  Our PBS station has been having it on Saturday nights at 11:00. !  The last one (a couple of weeks ago) ended with him proposing marriage to the love of his life (he just didn't realize it until just then)...only to have her stop him due to the fact that she was wearing a brand-new engagement ring; she had just said  "yes" to her baby's father.  I think that is who he is...just started watching this show this past year. They haven't shown another one since.  Wonder if it was the last in the series; I have no idea how old the series is.  I love the "look" of the actors on this show (like all the British shows)...the wonderful woman detective with the shiny black hair that she wears in a bun...the "average-ness" look of everyone.  I love Miss Marple, Midsumer Murders, Endeavor, Lewis (hopefully wanting an Inspector Hathaway)...  

My local library had a set of DVD's of a British series where they all worked for either MI6 or MI5.  It focused on terrorism. Hard to watch sometimes...torture, imperfect people, etc.  The first one I saw showed a fellow MI6(or 5er) being released from captivity by the Soviets.  He was later killed in a bomb blast while doing something heroic.  There were too many moles, etc.  But it was a great show.  The library had two sets of the DVD's...anyone know what the name of the show is/was?  The head spy was named "Harry", I think.  The last one I saw showed him being captured and taken prisoner.  Don't remember who/what captured him.

Love this thread.  My people!

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Kemper said:

My local library had a set of DVD's of a British series where they all worked for either MI6 or MI5. ...Anyone know what the name of the show is/was?  The head spy was named "Harry", I think. 

That's Spooks (shown in the US as MI-5).

• Love 1

Is anyone watching the latest "DCI Banks" on our local (NC) PBS?  It is on late Saturday night...maybe 10:00?  10:30?  The last episode ended with the stabbing of the lady detective...Banks'love interest.  I knew something was going to happen when she told him she was leaving her husband to be with Banks.  He was SO happy.  It is a show where almost no one is happy for long.  I don't think the sun ever shines, either.  But I love the show...is this set of episodes new?   Or they a few years old?

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Kemper said:

Is anyone watching the latest "DCI Banks" on our local (NC) PBS?  It is on late Saturday night...maybe 10:00?  10:30?  

It is a show where almost no one is happy for long.  I don't think the sun ever shines, either.  But I love the show...is this set of episodes new?   Or they a few years old?

You can talk about DCI Banks in the PBS network thread: 

The problem with non-Masterpiece shows is they're "a la carte"—every station decides what to buy and when to show it. Your station is showing season 5, which aired in the UK fall 2016. Hulu + iTunes have seasons 1–4.

• Love 1
On 9/14/2016 at 8:29 PM, Lord Donia said:

Oh my gosh, tell me somebody has watched Cracker with Robbie Coltrane! I'm finding him to be such a horrifyingly awful person that I can't stomach watching. The series is very popular, won awards, and has good customer reviews, so it must be me?

No, it's not you.  Coltrane is the poster boy for anti-hero.  He makes House look like a choir boy.  But that's the point.  Coltrane's character is a great psychiatrist but a god-awful human being.  I found it to be an excellent show, but it helped that the British system of limited episodes was applied.  Cracker on a weekly basis all year would have put me right off of him.

CTV's excellent Cardinal just finished its second season.  If you can find it, it's highly recommended.  The show is based on Giles Blunt's novel series, and takes place in of the fictional town of Algonquin Bay (based on North Bay) in Northern Ontario.  Apparently it's filmed in my home town of Sudbury.  It's got a brooding quality to it, and really captures what living in Northern Ontario is like.  One reviewer said that the northern landscape was a major character in and of itself, and I agree. 

Here's the Wikipedia entry on the show; here's its CTV Home Page.  Loath as I am to encourage naughtiness, if you have a VPN, well ...

Edited by Pippin
Names matter
  • Love 3

I finished the Shetland series...loved it; hope they make another season or two.  Also love Hinterland; although, like someone mentioned above, the accents are difficult if you don't have closed-caption.  Everyone in this particular series is miserable..detectives, suspects, townspeople, etc.  But the scenery is gorgeous (as is Shetland's) and the mysteries are pretty good.

• Love 3
On 2/10/2018 at 7:06 PM, Kemper said:

I finished the Shetland series...loved it; hope they make another season or two.  Also love Hinterland; although, like someone mentioned above, the accents are difficult if you don't have closed-caption.  Everyone in this particular series is miserable..detectives, suspects, townspeople, etc.  But the scenery is gorgeous (as is Shetland's) and the mysteries are pretty good.

I like Shetland too, There a fourth season airing right now in the UK. It can be a bit slow in parts but the show got a lot better in the third season. If you like British Nordic Noir you might want to try Happy Valley next it probably favourite of all the the British cop shows I've seen.

• Love 3
On 2/9/2018 at 6:02 PM, Pippin said:

CTV's excellent Cardinal just finished its second season.  If you can find it, it's highly recommended.  The show is based on Giles Blunt's novel series, and takes place in of the fictional town of Algonquin Bay (based on North Bay) in Northern Ontario.  Apparently it's filmed in my home town of Sudbury.  It's got a brooding quality to it, and really captures what living in Northern Ontario is like.  One reviewer said that the northern landscape was a major character in and of itself, and I agree. 

Here's the Wikipedia entry on the show; here's its CTV Home Page.  Loath as I am to encourage naughtiness, if you have a VPN, well ...

I found this thread looking for a place to talk about Cardinal.

It's very noir, more like Top of the Lake than the usual North American broadcast TV series.   Thanks for the information about where Algonquin Bay is supposed to be, I thought it was further north like Thunder Bay (although that would be a larger city).

I confess, there are times in both seasons where I had to cover my eyes or fast forward because it was so gruesome.  Still, I'll be back for season 3.

On 9/14/2016 at 8:29 PM, Lord Donia said:

I saw it years ago and loved it because he was so unashamedly an awful person, unlike House who they said was awful but who we were supposed to love.

There was a US remake with Robert Pastorelli but it so was watered down as if the American audience were children, it was a mere shadow of the original.  It lasted only 10 episodes

• Love 2

Happy to oblige you, statsgirl

I read the novels a long time ago before watching the series, so I knew that at the end of season 2

Spoiler

his wife would commit suicide

and it looks like season 3 (which means the show is returning, yay!) will be based on By the Time You Read This.

It is dark, and sometimes gruesome, but I find that in general, Canadian (and British) dramas aren't afraid to go to the dark places.  They also assume the audience is adult and appropriate language is used.  I've seen DaVinci's Inquest on American TV and there's a lot of bleeping!

I'm old enough to remember when Canadian TV was largely a rebroadcaster of US television, and it pleases me immensely to see home-grown, unabashedly quality Canadian stuff like Cardinal and Alias Grace, to name but two, thriving. 

Another interesting show is the true crime show on CBC, The Detectives based on Canadian cases.

• Love 2

Thanks @Pippin.

Is anyone watching Carter? I guess it would be considered a dramedy since it's created by one of the writers of The Kids In The Hall and it's got a lot of nice jabs at cop shows.

Stars Jerry O'Connell, who does his Nice Guy thing as an actor who plays a cop and tries to take it up for real during his show's hiatus, Sydney Tamii Porter who is gorgeous as well as interesting (I love it when the female lover interest is age-appropriate) and Kristian Bruhn now that Orphan Black is done.

• Love 2

I am almost finished with Happy Valley...a few more episodes to go.  Loved loved loved it at first; but here towards the end, I am exhausted by the awfulness of Sydney (that is the actor's Grantchester name).  I wish he had not escaped from the kidnapping house and gone to prison.  Start with a new villain.  Cannot say enough good things about the acting from all in this series. 

• Love 1

Discovered a new series called Shakespeare & Hathaway. Kind of light-hearted (in the style of Father Brown, or Death in Paradise.) 

Speaking of which, I'm going to miss Dwayne from next season of Death in Paradise.

Think I may tryout Britbox for my UK fix. Anyone here subscribed to it?

• Love 3

Yes, it's filmed in North Bay.  With the premise that Carter returned home for the time his show is on hiatus from shooting, it's a good set-up for future seasons.

Yay, another Carter fan!  I was dreading  Carter's wife showing up but they handled it very well and I felt sympathy for both characters.  I also liked how they handled the

Spoiler

Chechnian

target, and how Carter figured it out.

(edited)
On 6/10/2018 at 2:44 PM, Casual Viewing said:

Think I may tryout Britbox for my UK fix. Anyone here subscribed to it?

I have it. I've enjoyed several shows, then I go awhile without watching much on it and think I should drop it, but it's not very much a month and has quite a library of old stuff. It kind of complements the offerings on Acorn TV. Yeah. Busted. I subscribe to Acorn too.

I'd recommend that you try Britbox, I assume they are still offering a free trial. It's less per month than a movie ticket even at the senior bargain weekend rate - that's what I tell myself to justify keeping my subscription. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 1
On 6/23/2018 at 12:52 PM, walnutqueen said:

I'm watching a British series that is now airing on Cinemax called "C.B. Strike" about an amputee war vet turned P.I.  I like it a lot.

Have you read the books that the series is based on? The author is Robert Galbraith (aka J.K. Rowling), and the fist book is The Cuckoo’s Calling (currently re-reading it).

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Have you read the books that the series is based on? The author is Robert Galbraith (aka J.K. Rowling), and the fist book is The Cuckoo’s Calling (currently re-reading it).

No, but I have heard good things about the books.  On my long list of things to read when my eyes can handle the strain.  ;-)

(edited)

Another Carter fan here, along with my husband.  I hope it gets picked up for a second season.

On 6/21/2018 at 3:09 PM, statsgirl said:

I was dreading  Carter's wife showing up but they handled it very well and I felt sympathy for both characters. 

I missed that episode.  We missed a couple at the beginning of the series due to scheduling conflicts; then a couple of weeks ago the episode had such bad audio problems that we couldn't watch it.

ETA: I just found out that Carter will be re-run on CTV starting July 24 so we'll be able to catch up on episodes we missed.  I hope more people will catch it on this run.  It really is a good show.

Edited by Trey

Yes, Carter is too good to be buried on a cable channel.  I hope that it gets enough viewers to get a second season. The trope of Carter being on hiatus from his TV series is perfect in terms of justifying him being in Bishop ad then going back to Hollywood again.

• Love 2

Re Carter, I found this on Wikipedia:

In the United States, the series is set to run on August 7, 2018, as WGN America acquired the airing rights in June 2018.

Tonight is the  tenth and last episode of this first season. So far, I haven't been able to find out if there will be a second season

• Love 1
On 1/17/2017 at 2:29 PM, Kemper said:

Is anyone watching the latest "DCI Banks" on our local (NC) PBS?  It is on late Saturday night...maybe 10:00?  10:30?  The last episode ended with the stabbing of the lady detective...Banks'love interest.  I knew something was going to happen when she told him she was leaving her husband to be with Banks.  He was SO happy.  It is a show where almost no one is happy for long.  I don't think the sun ever shines, either.  But I love the show...is this set of episodes new?   Or they a few years old?

On 1/18/2017 at 8:30 AM, editorgrrl said:

You can talk about DCI Banks in the PBS network thread: 

The problem with non-Masterpiece shows is they're "a la carte"—every station decides what to buy and when to show it. Your station is showing season 5, which aired in the UK fall 2016. Hulu + iTunes have seasons 1–4.

I am almost through with the second series on Amazon

On 7/17/2018 at 7:11 PM, Trey said:

Re Carter, I found this on Wikipedia:

In the United States, the series is set to run on August 7, 2018, as WGN America acquired the airing rights in June 2018.

Tonight is the  tenth and last episode of this first season. So far, I haven't been able to find out if there will be a second season

I wonder if they're waiting to find out how it does in the US, and if it's salable abroad.

Per the same Wikipedia article it was 'slated' to run in other countries but I haven't really seen anything to confirm that.  I watched episode 2 last night since I missed it the first time around. 

MHz Worldview will be showing the great, almost never seen in the US, series "Fantomas" starting Tues., Sept. 11.  This Franco-German production, starring Helmut Berger as Fantomas, was, as far as I know, only shown once in the US on a long-defunct cable channel called, I think, "The French Channel." It was never released here on video. Directed by the French director Claude Chabrol.  

Fantomas was a fictional character created in the 1920s.  He's sort of like The Joker, a utterly ruthless criminal genius.

Schedule here:

https://mhznetworks.com/schedule/

Where to watch here:

https://mhznetworks.com/mhz-worldview/where-to-watch-map/

• Love 1
On 9/14/2016 at 5:29 PM, zxy556575 said:

I watched Cracker and really enjoyed it. It was very dark though. Those Brits seem to go for the more dark crime dramas.

• Love 1

I really enjoyed the British series of Cracker. The American version seemed very tame, like the difference between real cheddar cheese and American cheese.

Has anyone seen the series Coroner with Serinda Swan? It replaced Frankie Drake in the CBC line-up. I wasn't expecting much having seen the British series but I was pleasantly surprised. There were enough unexpected twists and storyline mysteries that I'm looking forward to the next installment.

On 2/2/2019 at 3:09 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

Anyone watch Agatha Raisin? I don't know if there's a thread for it, because I can't figure out where stuff is any more.

I watched season 1 and had a lot of fun. Is there a season 2?

I having trouble figuring things out too. There used to be a thread for Cardinal and now that it's started up again, I'm missing it. Does anyone watch Coroner and Cardinal?

• Love 1
On 2/9/2018 at 3:02 PM, Pippin said:

I watched both seasons of Cardinal on Hulu yesterday and loved it.  I do hope there's more to come.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I'm now watching Shakespeare and Hathaway. It's a fun show.

Thanks for the tip. I watched part of the first episode last night, but it was bedtime and I was too sleepy. I liked it, and have added it to my watchlist for awake-time viewing. 

• Love 4

It's on Britbox. I'm so glad I have that and Acorn TV.

I don't know if the show is set in its own world, but it takes place in Stratford Upon Avon and nobody blinks at her last name being Shakespeare or that the other characters' names or stories are connected to Shakespeare's writings. 

Edited by Writing Wrongs
  • Love 2

So, this afternoon it was very very cold outdoors and I had no reason to go out there. Instead, I binge-watched Season 1 of an excellent Acorn TV original series, London Kills

I didn't intend to binge-watch - but it was so good that I watched all five episodes. I even watched the "extra" almost hour's worth of cast interviews and more. Yes. it was that good. Said the queen of short attention span and overuser of the FF key. I didn't even FF through any of this. The pace was fast enough. Excellent cast, fine writing, wonderful performances, and indeed shot right in London with so many outdoor scenes that I felt like I was visiting there again. Also, I absolutely adored some of the members of the murder investigation team. 

And, I will say that just as I thought the plot lines were getting all tied up at the end of episode 5? At literally the last moment a new twist popped up. Acorn had better hurry up and release Season 2 in the US!

My next Acorn TV binge-watch will probably be their original series Blood. I'm a little TV-ed out at the moment but I watched the first few minutes of episode 1 and it's on my watchlist. 

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

So, this afternoon it was very very cold outdoors and I had no reason to go out there. Instead, I binge-watched Season 1 of an excellent Acorn TV original series, London Kills

I didn't intend to binge-watch - but it was so good that I watched all five episodes. I even watched the "extra" almost hour's worth of cast interviews and more. Yes. it was that good. Said the queen of short attention span and overuser of the FF key. I didn't even FF through any of this. The pace was fast enough. Excellent cast, fine writing, wonderful performances, and indeed shot right in London with so many outdoor scenes that I felt like I was visiting there again. Also, I absolutely adored some of the members of the murder investigation team. 

And, I will say that just as I thought the plot lines were getting all tied up at the end of episode 5? At literally the last moment a new twist popped up. Acorn had better hurry up and release Season 2 in the US!

My next Acorn TV binge-watch will probably be their original series Blood. I'm a little TV-ed out at the moment but I watched the first few minutes of episode 1 and it's on my watchlist. 

Dammit, Jeeves!  You're making me want things I can't afford.  I have Hulu for 99 cents a month until November, so I am bingeing the hell out of crime shows from down under, across the pond, and to the north.  It's amazing how many really enjoyable series I've missed by only having US fare available to me in the past.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Dammit, Jeeves!  You're making me want things I can't afford.  I have Hulu for 99 cents a month until November, so I am bingeing the hell out of crime shows from down under, across the pond, and to the north.  It's amazing how many really enjoyable series I've missed by only having US fare available to me in the past.

Oh, dear. I'm sorry. Well, if it's any comfort, I don't have Hulu - and your post above about the series Cardinal is making me wish I did. But, I have enough streaming channels to watch. I'm not adding Hulu unless I give up one of the streaming subscriptions I already have. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Oh, dear. I'm sorry. Well, if it's any comfort, I don't have Hulu - and your post above about the series Cardinal is making me wish I did. But, I have enough streaming channels to watch. I'm not adding Hulu unless I give up one of the streaming subscriptions I already have. 

Word on the street is that Hulu's giving Netflix a run for their money.  While Netflix increased the price of their most popular package by $2 a month, Hulu LOWERED theirs by the same.  But the conundrum remains - all these pay-for services have content we want to watch, but are exclusive to their predatory practices, so we are all feeling a semblance of FOMO ...

Which may be ridiculous, because, as I am proof positive, there are just not enough hours in the day to watch all the good shows (and still keep up with some not-so-guilty trashy TV pleasures).

Wait until next Black Friday, and see if any of the other streaming services offer a deal like I got with Hulu.  I hope we can benefit from the inevitable competition, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 2/25/2019 at 7:00 AM, walnutqueen said:

I watched both seasons of Cardinal on Hulu yesterday and loved it.  I do hope there's more to come.

They just finished season 3 here and I think it's renewed for season 4.

I like it, but I find that it's very dark.

I miss BellevueCoroner is okay but

Spoiler

I hate that her father killed the dog to cover up the real reason the sister died.

Spoiler
Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, statsgirl said:

They just finished season 3 here and I think it's renewed for season 4.

Cool - thanks!

ETA: I'm currently working my way through City Homicide.

Edited by walnutqueen

Finished City Homicide.  Slogged through Rebus.  Am enjoying Season 3 of Cardinal.  Looking for my next Hulu fix (I have eleventy billion shows on my watchlist).  So, is Cold Squad worth sinking my teeth into?  I'm an ex-pat Vancouverite, and love all things B.C., but it's a lot of episodes & seasons, and I'm a compulsive completionist unless the show totally sucks.

I really love N.Z., Australian, and U.K. crime shows.  And much as I despise subtitles (can't do them any more), the Icelandic Trapped was awesome.

Also, I have no problemo with accents whatsoever.

Thanks for any input, my peeps!

• Love 1