Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Pangaea / S02.E13 Clementine

ottoDbusdriver

Here's a potential plotline for another season... the whole show is retooled to appeal to teenagers by....

Skipping ahead ANOTHER 5-10 years when a bunch of randy teens discover the hard way that they are in fact NOT STERILE because they were still in the womb at the time of the gas and unaffected. Oops! So much for casual hookups! )but of course, we have LOTS of casual hookups before anyone is the wiser)

Issac repopulates the earth with the best looking cast of legal age teen girls you could find in Hollywood, all of whom work at a regular zoo just so there's a tie-in for the title.

Edited by slothgirl

Here's what I've got:

The mother cell (created by Reiden Global? I think?) restarted the triple helix gene in the animals, which is why the original cure based on the MC didn't work - though it did work on a dog way back when - ummm...and the triple helix was caused by that guy from the 1800s x-raying animals? By mistake, so the guy came up with a way to sterilize the animals, which the Shepherds and Oz senior turned into a sterilization for humans, because crazy.  OK.  "breathes"

Some people have the triple helix - no, that's not right, wait a minute - Oz injected his son and wife with the mutant gene to protect them from the effects of the triple helix/mother cell (ughh, what effects?...maybe he thought people would go crazy like the animals) but inadvertently the mutant gene MAKES people become zoombies, manimals, whatever, because Jackson torched the lab as a kid and messed up the research!  I definitely remember Oz the Crazy saying that, though he did specify that it wasn't Jackson's fault. 

So the Shepherds wanted our team to discover a cure so the animals would go back to being regular animals (meaning no killer zebras, boo) AND they wanted Project Noah to go forward because Oz Sr & Shepherds want to doom the human race and sent the formula to people too dumb to realize they were sterilizing people, not killing animals.  Original recipe Project Noah would kill all the triple helix animals AND the people with the ghost gene, thus Mitch thought his darling Clementine would die (or become mutant) because she HAD the ghost gene because of the cure he got for her in S1 that came from RG through Oz Sr's research, or maybe the mother cell.  

So if our team hadn't come up with a cure, there would still be crazy animals plus a sterilized human population (from the not-Noah gas). 

Mitch had to stay to "manually" raise the electric fences to 100% - I remember him saying he had to raise them manually - to make sure the team got out with the cure (since it, along with the animals) were swiped from the plane, and get the cure to Clementine within 12 hrs after the Noah gas dropped.  No one knew then that the Noah gas would just sterilize all people, not kill animals.

Somewhere along the way the idiot Shepherds created a bunch of hybrids that are loose everywhere 10 yrs later.  So we have hybrids running amok, normal animals doing animal things and a sterilized human population.

I did like a lot of the character bits - Jackson and his dad; Mitch & Jamie talking about Maine; Jackson and Abe; Abe and Mitch with the final goodbye.  The beach scene was nice though when they played bird-wing-flapping noises, all I could picture was a guy in a soundroom flapping paper around.  Plus the angelic music was a bit much.  Otherwise, it was nice to see our team feeling successful and happy right before it all goes wacky again.

We got a Trotter the pilot sighting!  He really IS the only crew member!  I actually forgot about the bird lady with the mutant gene until you all mentioned it. Maybe she went home with her bird?  I wanted to know how Jamie & Mitch got to wherever they were to grab the good DNA...it was hilarious that just pulling their shirts over their faces protected them from POISON GAS but Logan wore a gas mask..and then the three of them magically pop up on the plane in Pangaea! 

The most incredible thing to me was how clean the cages were that the dogs were being held in at the place where they found Clementine.  Not a poop in sight!  The dogs themselves were looking pretty pristine.  They were locked up pre-cure release, so what brave soul was scouring those cages with bleach??  That puppy that Abe picked up was beyond cute though.  When they showed the dogs happily racing out of the kennels, I was expecting them to suddenly go for everyone's throats.  Oh well.

I am curious as to where Clementine has been for 10 yrs since she said she wanted to find Mitch - I guess she was with Jamie?  I want to know why Abe lost track of her (and come on Abe, I figured she was Clem right away, how could you not??)  I liked that Isaac refers to Uncle Jackson so we know they are still close.  I don't really care about Logan.

Maybe Chloe saved Mitch?? I don't care how, I'm just glad he'll be back.  I like pretty much everyone though I'm meh about Logan, so I'm glad the show will be back and I want to see whatever nuttiness they come up with for S3.   I like the show; it's fun and there are animal attacks.  I like that there is some positivity in this particular probable apocalypse, rather than just "the world is doomed so let's kill everyone we come across".  Plus it has nutty science, Nonso Anonzie, James Wolk and Billy Burke.  Bonus points if Jamie kills someone.

What did the aardvark say to the taxi driver?  Take me to anthill and Main, and step on it!  *hangs head in shame*

• Love 3
23 hours ago, blackwing said:

. .  .and at the end of the day I just have to handwave it and move on.  But at a certain point, I think I draw the line at gaping lapses of logic and dropped plotholes.  For example, I too am curious about what happened to the little old Finnish lady.  I thought the whole reason why Jackson rampaged at the hospital to find and identify her was so that they could use her to synthesise the cure.  That is what they said in a previous episode, isn't it?  

Yes, but that's when they thought Jackson was gone and wasn't coming back.  That was the entire reason for Jackson finding the old lady - to have her replace him because he was going to turn himself in to Davies or get  himself killed.  When Jackson AND Dr. Oz ended up back on the plane, the need for the old lady was gone.  I think Mitch would much rather work with Jackson, a younger man, who fully understood the global risks at stake (since he was fighting with him in the trenches and lost a woman he loved to the fight) than to use an older woman as a host for the cure.  So for me, this question was completely answered.

But I never saw a subsequent scene of them thanking her and her leaving, or them saying that Jackson was found so they didn't need her.  When Jackson's blood wasn't working initially because Robert had been giving him some amethyltriptochlorinal or whatnot, all I could think was "what about the little old Finnish lady, is she stuck in the toilet or something"?

Eh, I don't need to see them thank her.  I can assume all that took place off camera - why waste precious airtime on those types of scenes? As for the issue with Jackson's blood, the entire premise was set up so that Dr. Oz could sacrifice himself.  That was the point of that entire problem.  The other thing - which was stated by Mitch was that Dr. Oz also had the mutant gene.  I believe that's what he asked the Dr., and he said "yes."  So now you have another person who has the gene AND a genetic match to Jackson.  

Season 3 seems like it is going to feature Mad Scientist Mitch, somehow still alive.  

I REALLY hope they don't turn Mitch into Dr. Oz 2.0 because I love Mitch just the way he was, and this is why I hate the ten year time jump.  He HAS to be different after all that time, and he had to have suffered some type of injury with all those animals.  I don't think I want to watch a wheelchair bound Mitch Morgan because I like him in the middle of the action.  It's the only thing I can think of as to why Mitch has not contacted his friends in over a decade.  It's nuts.  Also, has he avoided Clementine too?  I guess at some point, he contacted her, but it's all up in the air.

Humans are sterile, so it's obvious that the focus is going to be on Mitch finding and capturing some "pure" animals that haven't hybrided, and they are going to synthesise some kind of "unsterilisation" cure.  That will no doubt be disseminated to the people of the world by the microplankton in the world's drinking water supply.  I suppose we need a villain.  Might as well be the 10 year olds.  

Yeah, sounds like it will be another riveting season.  Ugh.

I think it can be riveting, but I can't see the show constantly doing this same storyline over and over.  So season three may be the last.  I can see Mitch and Company searching for the cure to sterilization, and their enemies are going to be the people who were in favor of this crazy plan all along.  There had to be more than just the Shepards and Dr. Oz for them to pull this off.  So maybe someone actually has the cure to the sterilization problem, and are just waiting to use it to court power and world domination.  It can make for an interesting season if done right.  The Last Ship is doing it over on TNT, and I'm enjoying that too.  My greater fear is that the writers will abandon what made me love Zoo in the first place - the relationship between Mitch, Jackson, Abe, and Jaime.  I don't want them hating or turning on each other or drastically different in personality, and since ten years have passed, the only two people who I know remain close are Abe and Jackson.  So hopefully, the writers know not to mess with what makes the show work  - at least for me anyway.

Edited by Bishop
  • Love 1
On 9/7/2016 at 8:20 PM, WordsWordsWords said:

Another problem I've had throughout the whole series and again last night is that they'll spend endless scenes on irrelevant filler and then skip right over something that might be both interesting and fun to watch. "Abraham and Dariela have the DNA from the sabre-toothed cat." What? Last time I saw them they were leaving that guy by the fence. How exactly did they get that DNA? Walk up to the cat and say please? *sigh* 

It was stated by that guy who got killed that he had an arrow on his cross bow that would collect the blood if he got a shot at the cat, and he was able to get a shot off before he was killed.  Abe was clearly seen taking the arrow with the blood deposit on the tip and mentioning that they had the sample they needed.

And Robert Oz was twistier than a bucket of worms. He choreographed this whole thing? How?

Well, he was believed dead for a decade wasn't he?  It was stated that he was working with the Shephards on that remote island.  So I'm guessing they were working on this project for years, putting all the moving parts in place over that time.  My bigger question is who fronted that operation?  I mean having a complex on a remote island with all that technology doesn't come cheap.  So who financed it?  That might be a question for season three - and may end up being the new big bad.  It could be that because Mitch was essentially left behind on the island and assumed dead, he had plenty of time to "recover" and then go through all those computer databases and study the research and the animals.  That's my guess anyway. 

I did think James Wolk sold Jackson's grief at his father's death well. No excessive histrionics. 

I agree.  I think James Wolk really sold the fear and desperation when he was tied down and couldn't prevent Mitch from injecting his father, and the other scene that came after when he quietly pleaded with Mitch to untie him so he could spend those final minutes with his father.  It was sad and well done, not over the top but just a man exhausted and depleted emotionally - kudos to Wolk.  I have to say, I think Jackson has suffered more than any other character on this show thus far.  When I think about the fact that Jackson was injected by his father with a mutant gene that would transform him into some monster, that a woman he loved died, that he had to murder his own mother to save his best friend, that Davies and his men were hunting him to turn him into a science project and later tried to kill them, that his father just died sacrificing himself for Jackson, and then at the end that he realized his father "killed the world," 

Too bad Robert was just taking the coward's way out because when Jackson found out what Robert was really up to, all sorts of fall-out would have resulted if Robert had been alive. What a worm. 

I agree.  At first I thought Dr. Oz was being noble and heroic, and then I realized he basically destroyed the world and decided "Okay, I'm outta here."  I still don't understand his motivations.  That is one plot point that I would like answered.  I think it was touched on that he viewed animals more important than humans in that humans were simply too destructive and had caused too much harm to animals.   I have to say that I completely bought his conversations with Jackson and that he was truly sorry for what he had done.  Then we find out that "No, I really am going to screw up the world."  Again, poor Jackson.  To carry that burden - that your father was responsible for ending mankind.  Geez.  It occurs to me that because the show will be set ten years into the future, we can really be shown a very different world than what we are use to seeing with no children and mutant animals (razerbacks), etc.  In many ways, it can really be an interesting season three.

Edited by Bishop
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Bishop said:

It was stated that he was working with the Shephards on that remote island.  So I'm guessing they were working on this project for years, putting all the moving parts in place over that time.  My bigger question is who fronted that operation?  I mean having a complex on a remote island with all that technology doesn't come cheap.  So who financed it?  That might be a question for season three - and may end up being the new big bad.  

The better question was who had been financing the Shepherds on Pangaea for over a century and how they were Jurassic Parking saber-toothed cats back from extinction over a 100 years ago (and over 50 years before DNA was even discovered).

• Love 1

Here's what I'm thinking for season 3:

Mitch was saved by a Shepherd and it's the Shepherds who have been holding him captive and making him work for them all this time. Jamie was the one who raised Clementine, and either she's still doing investigative reporting (while also writing books) or she's been encouraging Clem to do the same. Jamie and/or Clem have sniffed out some very interesting (and highly secretive, I'm guessing) research being done in some faraway place and they realize that that research has Mitch Morgan written all over it. Assuming Mitch is being held against his will, he is certainly more than intelligent enough to seed his work with clues to let his friends and his daughter know that he is still alive. Jamie and/or Clem figure it out and Clem sets off to gather the team together to rescue Mitch.

As for why Abe didn't recognize Clementine immediately...well, that was a little silly. I understand that for the purposes of a dramatic season finale, Clem revealing who she was to Abe would be the moment on which they wanted to end. (The revelation that Mitch was still alive would have been a better choice to cap the scene, but they never asked me, so...) So let's just hand-wave it away by saying that Abe and Dariela lost touch with Jamie a few years prior and that's why that happened.

Zoo writers, please feel free to use this. And if this is, indeed, what ends up happening, I will be doing my "I told you so" dance. Just so y'all know.

Edited by Pamela
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Cyranetta said:

I just hope they go all-out nuts with the hybrid animals - spiderbats, wolfdolphins, scorpionelephants...or some of the more feral Pokemon?

The big question is: Where are all these hybrids coming from -- the Island of Dr. Moron/Jurassic Park Lite/Pangaea ?

Bring on the octogiraffe, zebradillo, and koaliguana.

Will the fact that the animals are all now cured mean that they will lose their X-animal superpowers -- no more freeze lizards, earthquake sloths, armored French bears, electric ants, or hurricane jellyfish (what will Moe do with all his free time when not causing hurricanes) ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2
43 minutes ago, Cyranetta said:

I just hope they go all-out nuts with the hybrid animals - spiderbats, wolfdolphins, scorpionelephants...or some of the more feral Pokemon?

Yeah.. I want more looniness with the animals (Oh wait! They could actually use LOONS! And then Mitch could make a joke about the loons acting loony like when he called the lions "liony")

Less purporting-to-be-meaningful interaction between the humans, especially when it doesn't fit their characters much.

To me this show is a farce or a cartoon. It's more fun when the humans are caricatures too, all while playing it straight.. When I'm asked to take them seriously, get too involved with them, and care about them, it ruins the whole thing for me. I don't want to mourn Chloe's passing because it's sad for us or for Jackson.. I just want to miss her over-the-top bug eyed reactions. I don't mind that whassername is a poor imitation of Sanchez from Aliens. I love that Jamie has a higher body count than she does.  I don't watch Zoo for character development. There are other shows that do it so much better.

I'm watching for animals that are not normally fierce wreaking havoc on humanity and the world, The show needs some killer Chipmunks. Giant Rabbits (and then Mitch could channel Monty Python). More sloths. Mutant kitten rainstorms. Lightning bugs blinding people. 

I would like it however, if the basic premise of the mutation, mother cell, gas, cure, etc, was clear. I don't care if it's outlandish.. I just want it to be clear.

14 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

zebradillo, and koaliguana.

ok, these 2 sound vaguely like sex toys or acts.

• Love 3

Yeah....this one left me scratching my head, too.  Glad to see I was not alone.  Kept it on the DVR to watch again.  I could look at Jackson all day...or in my fantasies....all night..;-).  Missed the first 15 min but as we all speculated Logan wasn't dead.  Soon as I saw him I went "We knew it!"

I bet Mitch isn't dead, too.  Hated the time jump at the end.  But I will tune in next season to see how they (hopefully) 'splain everything.

Anybody read the book?  If so are they following the story or taking liberties as movies/TV are wont to do.

BTW....y'all crack my shit up.  Carry on.......

1 hour ago, OhioSongbird said:

Anybody read the book?  If so are they following the story or taking liberties as movies/TV are wont to do.

About the only thing that the book has in common with the TV show is

Spoiler

the show title and some character names -- and that's about it. The TV plot has strayed so far from the book plot it's ridiculous.

• Love 1
On 9/8/2016 at 11:09 PM, raven said:

Mitch had to stay to "manually" raise the electric fences to 100%

Yes, because we all saw him cranking away on a big generator handle...  Wait, no.

On 9/10/2016 at 3:51 PM, Cyranetta said:

I just hope they go all-out nuts with the hybrid animals - spiderbats, wolfdolphins, scorpionelephants...

Sharktopus and Whalewolf!

I'm having difficulty accepting that (just by chance) Jamie shoved Logan out of the plane...  precisely as it was passing over Pangaea ?!??

• Love 1

Okay, I'm 27 minutes into this and I don't know if I can even hate watch this show anymore.  They're just such a bunch of assholes.  Poor Reece got them what they wanted from the sabre tooth tiger and they just left him there, without even trying to revive him or take him to medical assistance.  Pretty sure there's a bunch of science type people pretty close by to you!!  They're just awful.  And stupid.  They're not fun anymore.

6 hours ago, Canada said:

Okay, I'm 27 minutes into this and I don't know if I can even hate watch this show anymore.  They're just such a bunch of assholes.  Poor Reece got them what they wanted from the sabre tooth tiger and they just left him there, without even trying to revive him or take him to medical assistance.  Pretty sure there's a bunch of science type people pretty close by to you!!  They're just awful.  And stupid.  They're not fun anymore.

The show is definitely not for everyone, and I had a similar reaction to a particular form of torture/violence on another show -- had to quit it. That said, I initially reacted the same as you to them leaving him behind, but I thought they checked for a pulse at least, and I accepted that to mean he was dead on the show (although in real life CPR would have happened), and in the jungle climate, his body would be absorbed by fauna and flora and climate pretty quickly.

On 9/11/2016 at 7:50 AM, OhioSongbird said:

I read the book last summer, during the first season, and it was abysmal.  The book is really really poorly written.  As with most things in the James Patterson empire, it seems fairly obvious that every book that is co-authored is probably entirely written by the co-author.  Patterson just approves it and puts his name on it for the $$$ and so the co-authors can make a buck based on his name.  As mentioned above, the only thing about the book that follows the TV show is that some of the names are the same, and there is the same overall plot ("when animals attack").  Apart from that, zippo.  For example, Chloe Tousignant is not a French superspy in the book, I believe she's some kind of scientist.  And I guess I'll spoiler this part, but the ending of the book was truly dismal.  There was a similar jump in time, maybe five years or so.  Then

the humans realised that they could never win, and basically gave up.  The surviving humans all retreated to some remote place, Greenland I think, and accepted the fact that the animals had won.  Needless to say, a particularly bleak conclusion.

11 hours ago, Canada said:

I thought that was really strange too.  When he ran off in the jungle, why didn't the two team members go with him?  They just stood there and called his name.  Then he got attacked and they were just like "oh well, someone had to die to get this blood, as long as it wasn't me".

I thought it was interesting that Reece was played by one of the Stults brothers.  Not sure which one.  But the other one played the crooked FBI agent from last season.  They look similar enough in appearance that I thought at least one of the team members should have said something and asked if they were related.

So just got around to watching the finale.  There was a moment when they were on the beach and the light is beautiful and the cure will work and everyone is happy and I found myself pausing the tv, just knowing that if I quit right then I could pretend the whole show was over and everyone got their happy ending. 

But there was still an hour left. 

Yup, the Noah Objective was still a go.  Yup, they "killed" Mitch.  Yup, now humanity has been sterilized.  Yup I was really kicking myself for not turning off the DVR when my gut told me to, but still, I at least thought I was free cause yeah, no Mitch meant me not turning in next season but now he might be alive and even though my gut again is telling me it may be a ploy and he's really dead or if he's alive we aren't going to get to see him until the end when he really will die or almost worse, he'll be a regular but the bad guy now and yet just the chance that he MIGHT be alive is probably enough to get me to tune in again.  Plus I like Jackson and Abe. 

They are lucky that there is really nothing on in the summer. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I'm binge watching on netflix, so I'm behind you guys. What happened to parakeet lady?  I thought she was going to incubate the cure? .?

Sorry guys, another question. He said his father snatched his girlfriend 12 years ago, while his daughter is 11. 11 plus 9 months to find a baby mommy? Am I trying too hard with this show?

3 hours ago, Swim mom said:

What happened to parakeet lady?  I thought she was going to incubate the cure? .?

I thought they just needed her blood but I could be mis-remembering.  I do remember us talking about how she just disappeared and we guessed she went home.

1 hour ago, Swim mom said:

11 plus 9 months to find a baby mommy? Am I trying too hard with this show?

Sure, why not?  And yes :)

• Love 1