Type keyword(s) to search

RW: London (1995)

snarts
  • Start Topic

Personally, I enjoyed the London season primarily because the cast was so diverse. It was the first season (and last? where there any others? I'm having a brain fart) that wasn't all Americans. I would love to see a reunion. The majority of them don't even have a social media presence. 

I know Jay was a TV weatherman, Jacinda an actress, Mike still involved in racing. Neil, Kat, Lars, Sharon ????  It would be great to see them all connect as middle aged adults.

• Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

London had the first really cool house. It's the first season in which you think, "Yeah, that's a Real World house." The New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco spaces were nice -- and you'd surely have to have had a lot of income in 1992-94 to afford them -- but they weren't all that eye-catching or telegenic. They didn't scream luxury.

And they didn't need to! I always liked it better when the houses were more modest in design/decor. They actually looked like houses that 7 strangers/friends would all rent together while starting out their young adult lives. It made the show feel all the more real. To me, the real shift started with the Seattle pier. My favorite was and still is the San Fran house on Lombard Street,

1 hour ago, snarts said:

Personally, I enjoyed the London season primarily because the cast was so diverse. It was the first season (and last? where there any others? I'm having a brain fart) that wasn't all Americans. I would love to see a reunion. The majority of them don't even have a social media presence. 

I know Jay was a TV weatherman, Jacinda an actress, Mike still involved in racing. Neil, Kat, Lars, Sharon ????  It would be great to see them all connect as middle aged adults.

Agreed. I don't need to see drama or past conflicts confronted or whatever they feel will drive ratings. I just like to see people reunite and have fun together catching up and reminiscing after so many years apart. The London crew may have been boring, but I still liked them and would love to see what they're all up to now.

Edited by Giuseppe
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Giuseppe said:

My favorite was and still is the San Fran house on Lombard Street,

And cast members from that season were still living in the house when it burned some years ago. The newspaper article I read didn't specify whom, but I assume it was Pam and Judd. It was nice of production to make it possible for cast members to buy the house.

I liked the more typical houses too. I found all the shrieking of later casts at the overly-decorated rooms to be tiresome. And those later places probably helped reinforce to them that this was basically one big vacation rather than real life.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, snarts said:

It was the first season (and last? where there any others? I'm having a brain fart) that wasn't all Americans.

Dominic (Los Angeles) and Simon (Paris) were both Irish. Midseason replacement Jo in San Francisco was English. Charlie in San Diego was Serbian, but the few episodes of that season I saw were early ones, so I've never seen him. I gather he was nearly invisible.

Edited by Asp Burger

The London crew may have been boring, but I still liked them and would love to see what they're all up to now.

Me too.

at the overly-decorated rooms

Granted, I stopped watching after Chicago, but some of the brightly colored overdecorated houses worked for me (Hawaii, New Orleans), some not so much (New York 2,0, Chicago).

11 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

Dominic (Los Angeles) and Simon (Paris) were both Irish. Midseason replacement Jo in San Francisco was English. Charlie in San Diego was Serbian, but the few episodes of that season I saw were early ones, so I've never seen him. I gather he was nearly invisible.

I forgot about Simon, but I discounted Dom because he was living in the US when cast. Same with Jo & Charlie. 

Less than half of the London cast were American, the rest were English, German and Australian. I loved that they had such different backgrounds and ideas. Probably also why Road Rules 3 was my favorite season of that show. 

London inspired my semester abroad and I'm forever grateful for the friends & experiences I had a result.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/12/2022 at 8:14 AM, snarts said:

Probably also why Road Rules 3 was my favorite season of that show. 

That was so cool when they were trying to translate a message in French, which none of them spoke, but between Belou's Dutch (I know Antoine was Belgian, but I am not sure what his primary language was, only that it was not French), and Patrice's German, they were able to piece it together. And then Chris and Michelle had to do all the driving because they were the only ones with valid driver's licenses, despite the fact that neither of them could drive a Winnebago on European roads for shit (no judgment there, I would not have wanted to do it either). Chris and Michelle were also I remember mostly respectful of being in different cultures- no London Mike whining about no ranch dressing there.

ETA: Just rewatched on Dailymotion, and I misunderstood, I thought Belou was saying the woman was speaking French, but she was saying Antoine speaks French, the women was speaking Catalan, which makes sense since they were in Barcelona. Duh to me.  I always thought Catalan was more like Spanish (being primarily spoken in Spain) but google tells me it's actually closer to French. Anyways, Antoine and Belou were able to figure out the directions.

Edited by Tatum
  • Love 2

I finally found an episode I found entertaining. The one they host the party after Jay's play. I really don't like Jay and his weird obsession with Mike's love life. 

It really bugs me how mean everyone is to Sharon since she is my favorite. 

• Love 1

I think Sharon would be exhausting to live with, but she was a kind person.  Jacinda infuriated me when she was shaking the ropes Sharon was trying to walk on when they were doing some outdoor adventure course.  That's not cool to do to anyone, but Sharon was terrified and didn't want to do it to begin with.  Intentionally scaring someone (Sharon was in a safety harness, so if she fell she wouldn't be physically harmed, but the fear of falling is distressing) isn't funny, it's mean. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, choclatechip45 said:

I finally found an episode I found entertaining. The one they host the party after Jay's play. I really don't like Jay and his weird obsession with Mike's love life. 

It really bugs me how mean everyone is to Sharon since she is my favorite. 

I haven’t watched this season since it’s original run, but back then I was bewildered by their meanness towards Sharon. They seemed angry she was positive and happy, and I loved her. 

49 minutes ago, racked said:

I haven’t watched this season since it’s original run, but back then I was bewildered by their meanness towards Sharon. They seemed angry she was positive and happy, and I loved her. 

Yes I figured it wouldn't bother me so much since I've seen a lot of stuff on reality tv, but I think it bothers me so much since she is always happy!  I listened to an interview with Sharon about six months ago on Susie from Road Rules patreon and she was the same super positive and happy about everything Real World related. 

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I think Sharon would be exhausting to live with, but she was a kind person.  Jacinda infuriated me when she was shaking the ropes Sharon was trying to walk on when they were doing some outdoor adventure course.  That's not cool to do to anyone, but Sharon was terrified and didn't want to do it to begin with.  Intentionally scaring someone (Sharon was in a safety harness, so if she fell she wouldn't be physically harmed, but the fear of falling is distressing) isn't funny, it's mean. 

Ugh I can't really stand Jacinda between that, the dog and not paying anyone back. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

I think Sharon would be exhausting to live with, but she was a kind person.

This. Sharon was sweet, but too "too." Kat from that season seemed like a nice person who would wear better over prolonged exposure. I liked her even more on Challenge 2000, which will always be my favorite Challenge. Both teams were such a great mix of personalities. 

I liked her even more on Challenge 2000, which will always be my favorite Challenge. Both teams were such a great mix of personalities

Yeah. I especially loved the prank the RWs pulled on the RRs team.

On 4/5/2022 at 2:53 AM, Bastet said:

Also, how refreshing to see the quaint notion in Kat and Neil that a sexual attraction isn't worth acting on for the awkwardness that would inevitably ensue given the living arrangement.  Back when there was sometimes flirtation, but everyone understood the life motto "Don't shit where you eat". 

IIRC, Neil having a long-term girlfriend was the main reason they didn't pursue anything beyond flirting. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Oh, I thought Neil said in a talking head that if they didn't live together, they'd probably be shagging, but the living situation makes it awkward.

Now that you say that, I totally remember that scene. But that actually makes it worse, because he did have a girlfriend, and I did not get the impression Kat wanted to be fuck friends with a guy who had a girlfriend. I think she really liked him. Watching them flirt is just totally cringeworthy to me, because I feel like I am reliving my own painfully awkward interactions with crushes.

been binge watching the old London season on Paramount Plus  the past couple of days and up to today.

of all the  Real World London housemates that i cant stand is that Sharon where if she really had  tonsilitis or whatever where her throat swelled up and almost died.  

If she was really that sick and  laying in bed for 2 whole days or whatever,  couldnt the other cast housemates like get her the hell out of bed and go take her to a damn hospital?

Noone is ever that sick where they cant drag themselves out of bed and go to a frikkin doctor