Type keyword(s) to search

Relationships in The Quad: What the Hells?

• Start Topic

24 minutes ago, johntfs said:

In part because of his character on Warehouse 13, I tend to see Aaron Ashmore's Johnny as "Dutch's not actually gay, gay best friend." 

Having binged Warehouse 13 for the first time ever watching it - earlier this summer/spring - that is actually a quite apt description (for the time being, at least).  lol

Yes, it was surprisingly hard for me too to shake off Ashmore's Warehouse 13 character and the Jinks/Claudia dynamics - they were such an engaging platonic couple and it was like echos of that pairing were ringing throughout Lucy's hull for a while.

I find the sudden shift back to Dutch and D'avin a bit ominous. I mean it was always an option but the writing is currently pushing hard for that ship and in combination with the timing within the season I'm starting to worry for D'avin's survival.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Yes, it was surprisingly hard for me too to shake off Ashmore's Warehouse 13 character and the Jinks/Claudia dynamics - they were such an engaging platonic couple and it was like echos of that pairing were ringing throughout Lucy's hull for a while.

I find the sudden shift back to Dutch and D'avin a bit ominous. I mean it was always an option but the writing is currently pushing hard for that ship and in combination with the timing within the season I'm starting to worry for D'avin's survival.

Being one of the "Big 3", I have never thought D'avin would be in any real danger - not of the truly dying (or staying dead) variety, anyways.   But looking at his backstory and coming to understand his character more, I totally believe he would die and/or sacrifice himself for family.

Even though I am hardcore against any ship that isn't D/J, you have me a kinda worried for D'av now.  Dammit.  lol

On 9/5/2018 at 12:16 AM, lynny said:

I don't see the "heart eyes" and the chemistry. I know, I know, I'm in a minority here. But, I see her with far more sexual chemistry with D'avin or Alvis than with John. I totally get how those who see that chemistry want some steam. I just don't see it. To me, they have awesome "I love you forever/ Ride or Die" chemistry. It's just the same as I see with say Oliver & Thea on Arrow. Two BAMFs that can be partners kicking butt even when one of them is more "the boss" in the field but they'd do anything at all for eachother.

I just always took the characters at their word, right from episode 1, where they referred to eachother as siblings, not lovers. Maybe that's why I can't get past the idea that they're going to end up lovers. They're more like brother and sister and it's kind of incesty.

I agree. I never got any romantic vibe from D/J, they have non sexual chemistry while D/D have romantic chemistry imo. Dutch almost treats Johnny like a younger brother to be protected, while being open about how bad things are with Davin. I think that's why the writers always give the serious discussions to d/d, like the "abuse", talk. I've kind of noticed this since the first season. They writers would give d/j all the sweet best friend discussions and give d/d all the angst, fight and sometimes dark and serious discussions.

I like that tptb never gave in to fan wishes and kept on doing what they wanted. 

Talking about relationships, I love Annela's parents. I hope they get reunited before the show ends

• Love 3

Damn.   They love messing with me on the D/J ship-baiting.  First with Johnny complaining-while-saying-he-wasn't about being ok with them being 'buddies', although not as ok with having to hear them have sex through thin walls.  And then the moment with him and Lucy, when she offered the opinion that he wasn't happy with Dutch & D'avin's current 'buddy activities', and he didn't really disagree.  But I do really appreciate how they had him bring up that if they are going to be together, he doesn't want to be the awkward 3rd wheel on the ship.  And then, of course, ol' Luce melted my heart by declaring herself to Johnny.

@tessaray - well, the D'avin/Zeph ship you want is now (potentially) on the table - and while I would really like that to happen, I am pessimistically realistic that they will stick with status quo and leave it D/D, so then it'll be J/Z.  Which I would (in time) be ok with, just for the fact that it would mean that Johnny could avoid the dreaded '3rd wheel' place in the main core of TAF and, more importantly, on the ship.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

@tessaray - well, the D'avin/Zeph ship you want is now (potentially) on the table - and while I would really like that to happen, I am pessimistically realistic that they will stick with status quo and leave it D/D, so then it'll be J/Z.  Which I would (in time) be ok with, just for the fact that it would mean that Johnny could avoid the dreaded '3rd wheel' place in the main core of TAF and, more importantly, on the ship

I was late catching up with last week's episode and then with tonight... when did D/D go from friends with benefits to having a relationship? 

Not sure I  was pulling for Z/D so much as thinking the show might have paved the way for it. But yeah, things have gotten messy now. Funny how in an episode or two every damn thing can get completely upended. 

• Love 3

It's been a while since Zeph was so awkward around D'avin that I think that ship has been sunk for good. But I wouldn't rule out Johnny and Zeph at this point. They had some interesting bonding moments in this episode. That's the great thing about this show even the most crackpot ships can set sails for a while and that's definitely not as weird as Johnny and DSK which has also been mentioned in some places.

I think Dutch and D'avin hooked up again pretty fast after she had reappeared from the Green though I can't recall the exact episode.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 2
44 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

I think Dutch and D'avin hooked up again pretty fast after she had reappeared from the Green though I can't recall the exact episode.

Right, I remember that but until they had the fight over Dutch training Jaq like Khlyen had trained her, I don't remember any mentions of a romance, other than the FWB thing. That was the point that confused me. Because after that, they treat D/D as a full blown couple. 

If D/D really is endgame, I wish they would have saved it until the last half of the next season.  

• Love 2

I'm at the point, that it almost feels like the writers are intentionally trying to screw with everybody (viewers) when it comes to actual relationships, let alone potential ones, when it comes to the TAF core of D+J+D.

And about your "Dutch & D'avin being in a relationship now" point, @tessaray, didn't Johnny describe the D/D as 'partners with benefits' in this last episode?  So, I don't know if they are actually in a full-blown relationship, as opposed to just banging things out often enough that Johnny is complaining about (hearing) it.

I am super confused as to how this PLI for Johnny that "nobody will see coming" is going to shape up next week, what with them (likely) spending most of the time in Green Space.  And looking at prospects, Zeph won't be looking to jump into anything any time soon.  So, what characters are out there that will 'surprise everyone' as a PLI for Johnny?   Unless I've missed something along the way and nobody new is introduced, if its a female, there's only 4 'viable' choices [IMO];  Dutch, DSK, Aneela or The Lady.  4 choices available and (at least) 2 of them could cause a fandom riot.  I am a little iffy on Aneela because they seem to be painting us a picture that instead of an enemy monster, she's a tragically misunderstood good person.

Honestly, it gives me a headache thinking about what could be in terms of LI between D-D and/or D-J.  So many moments in most episodes are so pro-D/J but then D/D (at least sex) happens and it just feels unnatural to the vibe and flow of things, as to how things'd been portrayed up until they flip flop the other way.

• Love 2

If Johnny is getting an unexpected love interest I vote for a miraculously embodied Lucy. If Dutch can be a clone created in green goo, why not? There is a shortage of female characters on this show so options are limited. Dutch is currently with D'avin. Zeph is mourning Pip. DSK killed Pawter and is into Aneela. Johnny and Aneela would be weird. Pre Hullen Aneela could possibly have been Johnny's type though, a scientist with Dutch's looks. Maybe she gets dehullenized but she does have a thing with DSK so again unlikely. Who does that leave? The Lady, ex-scarback woman, Alice?

• Love 2

The childhood sweetheart from the last episode might have been a contender, except for the kids and the betrayal thing. But yeah, unless they run into a ship full of hackmods, I'm not sure who there is for him.  

3 minutes ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I'm blanking at the moment.... Alice is who, again?

Wasn't Alice Clara's gun arm?

The ex-Scarback is Fairuza. 

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I'm blanking at the moment.... Alice is who, again?

EDIT:  Wait, Alice is what Clara called her arm-gun, right?

I meant Clara. I couldn't remember her name but then I remembered her name as Alice. She's a long shot but they all are.

• Love 2

I wondered about a Lucy/Johnny ship (ahem) too. Ship Avatars are not that uncommon in Sci-Fi - sometimes complete with romantic feelings: Andromeda on Andromea, Gideon on Legends of Tomorrow - even the Tardis got there once. I'm sure there are more and maybe even one that managed to pull off a happily ever after (romantically and sexually) with a main character. But I doubt it for this show - even if Lucy managed to get her Avatar I foresee more heartbreak for Johnny. And Dutch's head would probably explode.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, tessaray said:

The childhood sweetheart from the last episode might have been a contender, except for the kids and the betrayal thing. But yeah, unless they run into a ship full of hackmods, I'm not sure who there is for him.  

Wasn't Alice Clara's gun arm?

The ex-Scarback is Fairuza. 

Well, those would be surprising choices.

Childhood sweetheart  -  after the betrayal
'Alice'  -  is still attached to Clara!Ollie, AFAIK
Fairuza  -  since she's only been on-screen in two episodes and shared exactly none of said screen-time with Johnny

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, snowwhyte said:

I'M leaning towards Fairuza now because she and Johnny haven't met yet and don't have any of the issues that he has with the other women. Plus, didn't Johnny have an interest in the scarback religion at one point? 

I'm not going to automatically say you're wrong, but there is usually some kind of lead up to a romance - no matter how small or insignificant the hints were beforehand - especially if one is introduced right at the finale of a season.  And as we've already mentioned, John & Fairuza haven't met yet, so I put the chances of J/F as really improbable.

But I'm prepared to be wrong, as this show isn't always by the numbers.

12 minutes ago, snowwhyte said:

I'M leaning towards Fairuza now because she and Johnny haven't met yet and don't have any of the issues that he has with the other women. Plus, didn't Johnny have an interest in the scarback religion at one point? 

Yes, he did and I always wondered why they dropped that. 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, snowwhyte said:

Plus rereading the quote it does say a relationship which nobody will see coming which to me says Lucy, DSK or Aneela. Anyone else might be a surprise but not a total shock.

To me, for my money, there are only 3 choices that would be considered real "Shock Value" PLI's for Johnny, at this stage.

Ranked from most shocking to least:
1  -  The Lady
2  -  DSK
3  -  Aneela

And for the 'just kidding' and 'would never happen' not serious option;  want to really shock people, how about an OT3 of A/J/DSK??  (assuming Aneela & DSK are bisexual [or are sexually 'fluid', I think the term used was], of course).  Think about it.  Johnny hates/hated DSK for killing Pawter, and Aneela tried to kill Johnny.  But then they'd be in a 3-way relationship.

1 hour ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Well, those would be surprising choices.

Childhood sweetheart  -  after the betrayal
'Alice'  -  is still attached to Clara!Ollie, AFAIK
Fairuza  -  since she's only been on-screen in two episodes and shared exactly none of said screen-time with Johnny

Yep. The first one is one of the few females Johnny has met in ages, not really a possibility. The other 2 names - that was just me answering the question of who Alice and the ex-scarback were. 

Though I believe John did like "Alice" a lot. And her owner, of course. :-) 

--

I hate to say it but I could see Aneela being a temptation that John might not be able to resist, especially if she was intentionally channeling Dutch. 

• Love 2

I guess I am in the minority as I assumed D & D have been back on a while, it was just there in the background. Little moments but IMO confirmation just the same. I think they told themselves it was casual cause both ran from romantic commitments but when D'av ran off and Johnny tried to first talk to Dutch about she & D'av then Johnny tried to talk to D'av about it with bring her gifts to make it right with Dutch, I assumed the show was no longer going to treat Dutch & D'av's relationship as subtext. The showrunner said a long time ago that Dutch & Johnny did not share a romantic love for each other and she has never deviated from that from what I have seen on social media. I think the show is just no longer being subtle and is clearly stating in the home stretch that on Dutch's left side is her platonic soulmate John and on her right side is her romantic love D'avin. They all love each other in different ways and I adore that the clear cut feelings everyone has towards each other hasn't been muddied up for silly drama and cheap plot points. 

I did like that Johnny voiced his concern about the dynamics changing with Dutch and D'avin being together but that he'd rather third wheel for them than any other couple. Lucy caping for her number one man was sweet. I also liked that Johnny voiced that he wants someone to love and share his life with in a romantic sense, something I don't think he's verbally yearned for since Pawter died til now. I do hope the next woman Johnny finds to be with is a good one, especially with S5 being the final season. I would like to see him happy as well as Dutch & D'avin.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, tessaray said:

Yep. The first one is one of the few females Johnny has met in ages, not really a possibility. The other 2 names - that was just me answering the question of who Alice and the ex-scarback were. 

Though I believe John did like "Alice" a lot. And her owner, of course. :-) 

--

I hate to say it but I could see Aneela being a temptation that John might not be able to resist, especially if she was channeling Dutch. 

I've said in the past - mostly as a joke - about wondering if they were going to set it up so that each brother gets a 'Dutch'.

That would ironically make sense if it was D/D & J/A.  Jaq is the bio-child of D'avin & Aneela, but Aneela is Hullen and D'avin is literally anti-Hullen.  Sex would be a no-go for D/A because we all know what his 'power' does to the Hullen ladies when doing the buddy things.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, snowwhyte said:

All this speculation is making me impatient for the finale. Given that we have now considered every woman we could think of the only true surprise would be someone we haven't mentioned. Is there anyone we've missed?

If Sarah Power didn't have a solid role on The Good Witch, I'd put the thought out there up for grabs that somehow they might pull the pre-dead Pawter out of the green space to be reunited with Johnny.  But since its impossible, then other than going back to episodic guest stars from s1-mid s2, I can't think of someone from the candidate pool of women we've already met.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I've said in the past - mostly as a joke - about wondering if they were going to set it up so that each brother gets a 'Dutch'.

That would ironically make sense if it was D/D & J/A.  Jaq is the bio-child of D'avin & Aneela, but Aneela is Hullen and D'avin is literally anti-Hullen.  Sex would be a no-go for D/A because we all know what his 'power' does to the Hullen ladies when doing the buddy things.

I don't see the "each brother gets a Dutch" as anything but slightly icky wishful thinking.  And of the pairings, I'd be more likely to see Aneela and D'avin together.  They have Jaq and their odd Green powers in common.  I suspect that Aneela will be impressed once she learns that they literally don't know where Jaq and DSK are because they cut that knowledge out of their brains so the Lady wouldn't learn it if they were captured.  But Aneela loves (as much as she can) DSK, who very much returns those feelings.  As for threesomes, figure where penises are concerned, Aneela and DSK believe that three's a crowd. 

I don't see Zeph with either Jaqobis brother.  They pretty much put paid to that last season with the Jaqobis sandwich and prior to that the "I love you!  Wait.  No Do not want." "Likewise."  To D'avin and Johnny, Zeph is their "little sister from another mister."

As for the Lady, whatever "she" is, she clearly looks at humans like they're a cross between slaves, tools and bugs on a windshield.  She might use "romance" to manipulate Johnny, but that's it.

I think the best candidate for a happily ever after romance for Johnny is an embodied Lucy.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 1
On 9/15/2018 at 5:34 PM, Chick2Chic said:

I guess I am in the minority as I assumed D & D have been back on a while, it was just there in the background. Little moments but IMO confirmation just the same. I think they told themselves it was casual cause both ran from romantic commitments but when D'av ran off and Johnny tried to first talk to Dutch about she & D'av then Johnny tried to talk to D'av about it with bring her gifts to make it right with Dutch, I assumed the show was no longer going to treat Dutch & D'av's relationship as subtext. The showrunner said a long time ago that Dutch & Johnny did not share a romantic love for each other and she has never deviated from that from what I have seen on social media. I think the show is just no longer being subtle and is clearly stating in the home stretch that on Dutch's left side is her platonic soulmate John and on her right side is her romantic love D'avin. They all love each other in different ways and I adore that the clear cut feelings everyone has towards each other hasn't been muddied up for silly drama and cheap plot points. 

I did like that Johnny voiced his concern about the dynamics changing with Dutch and D'avin being together but that he'd rather third wheel for them than any other couple. Lucy caping for her number one man was sweet. I also liked that Johnny voiced that he wants someone to love and share his life with in a romantic sense, something I don't think he's verbally yearned for since Pawter died til now. I do hope the next woman Johnny finds to be with is a good one, especially with S5 being the final season. I would like to see him happy as well as Dutch & D'avin.

This whole post is exactly what I was thinking. Sometimes when I read this thread, I feel like I'm watching a completely different show than others. I haven't seen John/Dutch sexual chemistry, like, ever. And, I am extremely grateful that the creators are sticking with their original dynamic, rather than give into fandoms. I enjoy the way the relationships are on this show.

• Love 3

I have a lot of sympathy for the J/D shippers, because HJK and AA do have something that sparkles on my television screen. But I don't really think either brother has sexual chemistry with Dutch, if that makes sense. D'avin is more her equal when it comes to fighting and overall on paper but I don't find them compelling as a couple. Obviously mileage varies considerably but D'av kind of makes Dutch boring. But then I'm not usually a fan of romance in my space opera. It's hard to do well.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, tessaray said:

But then I'm not usually a fan of romance in my space opera. It's hard to do well.

I agree it's hard - but it can be done.

NiceIlliterateAustraliancattledog.gif.b358d7cca6055de7826b57705d70f8c9.gif

If we take those two as blueprint for a successful space romance then the J/D shippers can rejoice.

• Love 6

Great comparison, @MissLucas

If you think about it, early seasons Crichton/Aeryn Sun [would be] the forerunners to a (possible) Johnny/Dutch pairing.

Both early-seasons!Crichton and Johnny were/are better at using their brains then brawn, value strong morals, and did/do not have very good hand-to-hand fighting skills;  while both Aeryn & Dutch were/are the ass-kicking tough females in the relationship.

• Love 5

I went looking because I can definitely imagine that I imagined it in my own wishful way (which is what I meant to say!) I found this:  http://killjoys.wikia.com/wiki/Lucy

San-Bot 1 is one of three androids owned by San Romwell. John managed to hack the android's interface and upload an app of Lucy so that she could take over the android's operation. While controlling the android Lucy managed a moment to indulge in a passionate kiss with Johnny in order to record the data on the experience.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I agree it's hard - but it can be done.

NiceIlliterateAustraliancattledog.gif.b358d7cca6055de7826b57705d70f8c9.gif

If we take those two as blueprint for a successful space romance then the J/D shippers can rejoice.

Well, it could be done but there's no indication that the show will ever go there.  

One thing about that was unique about John Crichton and Aeryn Sun is that I never felt like he tried to change who she was at her core (except for the trusting/loving him thing) so it made the romance much more palatable. D'av isn't shy about trying to change Dutch, for her own good of course. There's something about it that annoys me. 

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, ramble said:

Didn’t Lucy get a body and kiss Johnny is an earlier season? Did I just imagine that I’m done wishful way? 

Not imagining it.  2.6 I Love Lucy is the episode she had a (robot/android) body and kissed Johnny.  And the greatest thing about it, is they had Tamsin McDonough (the actress who voices Lucy) be the woman that played the 'robot' Lucy.

59 minutes ago, Chick2Chic said:

Oh, did Michelle Lovretta change her mind and I missed it on social media?

I think @MissLucas just meant that if they were to ever take Dutch and John there, people can look at the John Crichton/Aeryn Sun pairing from Farscape as proof that a man like Johnny and a woman like Dutch can be together romantically, without too much suspension of belief.

• Love 1

The whole shipping thing comes down to whether people favor pairings based on 'opposites attract' or 'birds of a feather etc.' I used Aeryn/Crichton as an example for the former (and because I freaking love them). I couldn't think of an example for the the latter - oh wait, Dax and Worf might work but their lovestory isn't nearly as epic. 

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 2

Another thing in favor of using the AS/JC to predict a future D/J;  Aeryn Sun and Dutch both were raised to see emotion(s) as something that only hampered their growth in their developmental years.  Devotion to duty & their 'superiors' and total reliance upon self were ingrained in their core belief systems from a very young age.

• Love 4

Yeah but I bought Aeryn Sun and John. I don’t see it with Dutch and Johnny. I think that there is always some wishful thinking in the shipper realm and I usually understand it. But the Johnny Dutch ship is something I’ve never understood. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, lynny said:

I don’t see it with Dutch and Johnny. I think that there is always some wishful thinking in the shipper realm and I usually understand it. But the Johnny Dutch ship is something I’ve never understood. 

Same. And I don't think that the show has ever teased a romance. It just shows two people who love each other and get each other but it's not a romantic love, which is refreshing IMO. I just think at some point holding out hope will ends up being a gut punch when wishful thinking makes one willfully ignore the onscreen narrative hoping that things will change. I've definitely been there in the past and at some point I've realized that what I want and what is actually being written are two different things.

13 hours ago, tessaray said:

D'av isn't shy about trying to change Dutch, for her own good of course. There's something about it that annoys me. 

I guess I see it differently. I think it's less trying to change her and more that he doesn't jump when she says so and isn't afraid to call her out when he doesn't agree with her. I don't mind that he speaks up and Dutch is one who gives it right back if she needs to so I don't see it as a bad trait in either character that they don't blindly follow the other.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Chick2Chic said:

I guess I see it differently. I think it's less trying to change her and more that he doesn't jump when she says so and isn't afraid to call her out when he doesn't agree with her. I don't mind that he speaks up and Dutch is one who gives it right back if she needs to so I don't see it as a bad trait in either character that they don't blindly follow the other.

I saw it the way you do until the last couple of episodes. I put most of it down to sudden fatherhood but it still grated. 

• Love 1
Just now, tessaray said:

I saw it the way you do until the last couple of episodes. I put most of it down to sudden fatherhood but it still grated. 

I am honestly trying to recall when D'av was out of line in the last few eps with what he's said / done regarding Dutch. 

14 hours ago, MissLucas said:

The whole shipping thing comes down to whether people favor pairings based on 'opposites attract' or 'birds of a feather etc.' 

Sometimes. I have couples I ship and I have couples I am simply just a fan of but there isn't a common theme for them. Depends on chemistry, dynamics, and story. For me, I've learned the hard way to ignore what is written/canon at one's own peril because the only thing awaiting at the end is bitter disappointment. Thankfully with Killjoys, I've never had an issue with any of the pairings, romantic and platonic, so I'm all good here.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, Chick2Chic said:

I am honestly trying to recall when D'av was out of line in the last few eps with what he's said / done regarding Dutch. 

I didn't exactly say he was out of line. Just that the way he left, leaving the impression she was a bad influence on Jac.  A few other things that I'd need to rewatch to specify.  Maybe it's idea of a kinder, gentler Dutch.  Ah well, next time I see something specific, I'll make a note of it. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, tessaray said:

Maybe it's idea of a kinder, gentler Dutch.  Ah well, next time I see something specific, I'll make a note of it.

Cool.

Although, I see the kinder, gentler Dutch that we're seeing being less about D'av - despite him being the main recipient - and more about what Yalena & Zeph said to her in recent eps about not living her life on anger/rage as well as opening herself up to happiness.  

• Love 3