Type keyword(s) to search

GLOWing Reviews: GLOW In The Media

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, shumalek said:

they deserved to win for casting too

Yeah. I think The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel won I'd have to go back and look. Maisel has a really strong cast too just not the size or number of unknowns like Glow. 

Edited by Stuffy
5 minutes ago, Stuffy said:

Yeah. I think The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel won I'd have to go back and look. Maisel has a really strong cast too just not the size or number of unknowns like Glow. 

Yeah Maisel won unfortunately. Love both shows and they have brilliant casting, but I feel like it's a lot easier to cast for a show like TMMM, whereas GLOW had to look deeper and try harder, whilst still managing to have a solid selection.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, shumalek said:

Yeah Maisel won unfortunately. Love both shows and they have brilliant casting, but I feel like it's a lot easier to cast for a show like TMMM, whereas GLOW had to look deeper and try harder, whilst still managing to have a solid selection.

Yeah they deserved it just for the number of unknowns or little knowns they found and are perfect in their roles.  They could've put bigger names in all the roles like other shows. Plus they had to be not only good actresses but fearless because wrestling hurts.  I don't have showtime or HBO, so I had no idea who Betty Gilpin was before I watched. I remembered her character stealing all the scenes away from the lead actress on American Gods but that's it. I haven't watched wrestling since I was a kid, so I didn't know Kia Stephens.  I knew Chris and Alison and had heard of Kate Nash but that's about it.

Edited by Stuffy
27 minutes ago, Stuffy said:

Yeah they deserved it just for the number of unknowns or little knowns they found and are perfect in their roles.  They could've put bigger names in all the roles like other shows. Plus they had to be not only good actresses but fearless because wrestling hurts.  I don't have showtime or HBO, so I had no idea who Betty Gilpin was before I watched. I remembered her character stealing all the scenes away from the lead actress on American Gods but that's it. I haven't watched wrestling since I was a kid, so I didn't know Kia Stephens.  I knew Chris and Alison and had heard of Kate Nash but that's about it.

Kia is AMAZING in both TNA and GLOW. So glad they cast her and also didn't settle with what her character was in wrestling. She's completely different to her wrestling persona and I love it.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, rollacoaster said:

@Stuffy: Betty Gilpin was in American Gods?

I think her character’s name was Audrey or Aubrey. She was the woman whose husband and best friend betrayed her.  I think her first scene was telling Shadow what really happened.  I’m pretty sure she was only in two episodes, and her character was mostly drunk and very angry.  She was the best part of the wife’s boring (to me anyway) flashback episode.  

I’m trying not to give spoilers away in case anyone hasn’t seen it and wants to watch it later. 

Edited by Stuffy
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Stuffy said:

Yeah season two was better than season one. It should have more nominations not less. 

I kinda hate the drama nominations.   

What, you don’t like Kit Harrington for best actor? 😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, kieyra said:

What, you don’t like Kit Harrington for best actor? 😉

Ha ha.  Or the billion nominations for a poorly reviewed season.  Or that ridiculous supporting actress category.  There were better performances from other shows left off in both supporting categories.  

• Love 2

Given that Netflix is prone to canceling some of their shows after three seasons, I'm very happy that GLOW is getting a fourth season.  I think it could go longer than that but four years may be just right.  We'll see.

• Love 1

I'm glad it was given a final season so it can have a proper ending. I was a bit worried because of Netflix's recent track record (Still bummed about Santa Clarita Diet) but figured GLOW would get closure since it has gotten award recognition. I think four seasons is about right for this kind of show. 

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

What a bummer. I wonder if Netflix would shell out for a movie. If not, at least we got three great seasons.

I doubt it.  California is becoming a tough place to run a series and the cost was getting to high.  Same reason Stumptown got canceled. 

https://deadline.com/2020/10/glow-canceled-netflix-wont-proceed-no-season-4-final-season-renewal-reversal-covid-19-creators-liz-flahive-and-carly-mensch-react-to-cancellation-1234591535/

• Love 1

I think what's really annoying is that this was planned as the final season, so rather than allowing everyone to gracefully wrap things up, we are stuck with an open-ended third season finale which gives some characters closure, while leaving the main ones in more of a limbo. 

• Love 4
22 hours ago, mtlchick said:

I doubt it.  California is becoming a tough place to run a series and the cost was getting to high.  Same reason Stumptown got canceled. 

https://deadline.com/2020/10/glow-canceled-netflix-wont-proceed-no-season-4-final-season-renewal-reversal-covid-19-creators-liz-flahive-and-carly-mensch-react-to-cancellation-1234591535/

The article says that all of the series regulars were paid in full for season 4. I hope the crew was also paid. 

• Love 4

Very disappointed by this.  Netflix is continuing an annoying trend of canceling shows that I love.  First The Dark Crystal and then F is for Family (at least the latter will be getting a final season though).  I used to be a huge wrestling fan so that's what brought me to GLOW in the first place and I have more than enjoyed the show on its own merits.  I hope we'll get some kind of wrap-up but I'm not going to hold my breath.

According to the article, the first episode was finished and work had begun on the second episode.  Is there any chance Netflix would release that episode?  Again, I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2

I'm sad but I get it. How do you rehearse and film wrestling scenes safely? There's no end date for this so I can see why Netflix cancelled and let everyone out of their contracts. It sucks and I want closure, but this show especially can't work with covid out there.

• Love 1