Type keyword(s) to search

GLOWing Reviews: GLOW In The Media

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

Alison Brie To Star In Netflix Comedy Series ‘G.L.O.W.’ From Jenji Kohan

Community alumna Alison Brie is set as the lead in G.L.O.W., Netflix’s 10-episode straight-to-series comedy executive produced by Orange Is the New Black creator Jenji Kohan.

Created by Liz Flahive and Carly Mensch , G.L.O.W. was inspired by the real story of the 1980s female wrestling league. Set in Los Angeles and showcasing big hair and body slams, the series tells the fictionalized story of Ruth (Brie), an out-of-work, struggling actress who finds one last attempt to live her dreams when she’s thrust into the glitter and spandex world of women’s wrestling via a weekly series about female wrestlers.

This is a most excellent piece of news!!!! Alison has superb comedic timing and is talented as well. The fact that she will fill the hell out of those spandex unitards will also be a bonus.

Two new cast members announced!

Britney Young (Those Who Can’t) and Sydelle Noel (Captive) have been cast as series regulars opposite Alison Brie and Marc Maron in G.L.O.W., Netflix’s 10-episode straight-to-series comedy executive produced by Orange Is the New Black creator Jenji Kohan.

Young will play Carmen Wade, a big girl with big dreams and zero experience in front of a camera. Noel is Cherry Bang, a professional stunt woman whose career peaked in the Blaxploitation heyday, now looking for a chance to do more than double.

The first review I've seen is out and it is good.

GLOW is unlike any show we've ever seen

Part sports drama, part showbiz satire, part birth-of-the-modern-woman allegory — all heartbreaking glitter-blasted humanity — Netflix’s GLOW is unlike any show I’ve ever seen. I love it so much; it made me laugh, cry, think, and pump my fists in the air screaming, “YESYESYES!” 

The attention GLOW pays to all 13 women warriors is the show’s most invigorating argument: There are roles like this for women right now. More, please! More! A

• Love 1
On 12/13/2017 at 7:40 AM, SeanC said:

The series received SAG nominations for Ensemble, Comedy Actress (Brie), and Comedy Actor (Maron).

I think it's got a pretty good shot at the first two.

They also received a fourth SAG nomination for Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Comedy or Drama Series.

Oh, I'm really looking forward to this show coming back. The first season wasn't uniformly hilarious, but it was a great watch, with a whole load of really likable characters. And Alison Brie looks incredible in her Zoya the Destroyer outfit.

• Love 1

Hollywood Reporter comedy actress roundtable with Molly Shannon (Divorce), Rachel Brosnahan (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel), Frankie Shaw (SMILF), Drew Barrymore (Santa Clarita Diet), Debra Messing (Will & Grace), Alison Brie (GLOW), and Tracee Ellis Ross (Black-ish):

• Love 1
(edited)

Glow was nominated for several Emmy awards including comedy series.  I haven't seen a total number yet.  A majority of the nominations are in the technical fields. The only acting nomination is for Betty Gilpin in the supporting actress category. I'm really surprised about Alison not being nominated. Maybe next year. There were two more nominations for supporting than lead so there must've been some ties.  I was happy their stunt coordinator Shauna Duggins got a a nomination too. 

Edited to add... Glow received 10 nominations. 

Edited by Stuffy
  • Love 1

Full list of Emmy nominations:

Comedy series
Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series - Betty Gilpin
Directing for a Comedy Series - Pilot"by Jesse Peretz
Outstanding Production Design For A Narrative Program (Half-Hour Or Less) - The Dusty Spur
Outstanding Casting For A Comedy Series
Outstanding Cinematography For A Single-Camera Series (Half-Hour) - Pilot
Outstanding Hairstyling For A Single-Camera Series - Pilot
Outstanding Main Title Design
Outstanding Makeup For A Single-Camera Series (Non-Prosthetic) - Money's in the Chase
Outstanding Stunt Coordination For A Comedy Series Or Variety Program

• Love 1

Version of yourself means nothing. It's not easy. What is significant about Maron's work on GLOW is his range, and believability (emotional range).

I read all the time "So and so is always recognizably their persona on film." Well, yes. That's not the criteria to judge talent. It's not Meryl Streep pseudo versatility. It's how believably does the actor inhabit the imaginary world he/she is in, and are they able to deliver the emotional range the role requires. Actors do belly flop when they're miscast. I wouldn't believe Jack Nicholson as an introspective poet no matter how technically proficient he was. Energy is wrong, type of intelligence is wrong.  That stuff (casting properly) is really up to the casting departments and others. What is up to the actor is not to be different or unrecognizable in each performance, but to be believable in it.

An actor I can think of with great and fluid emotional range is Saoirse Ronan. Yet I think she was miscast in Lady Bird. She has been cast as girls with an edge before (probably because she is palpably intelligent), but IMO she lacked a convincing, non-technical edge in Lady Bird. Something Britt Baron (who plays Justine on Glow) probably could have easily delivered.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, BigPaul25 said:

How Alison Brie and Marc Maron were not nominated I have no idea.

They could have declined nominations.

Brie because she wanted other members of the cast to be recognized like she already has for her previous work.

Maron because GLOW has a majority female cast, and singling out the only lead male would be awkward.  Doubly so if he was the only actor to win for the show.

3 minutes ago, DianeDobbler said:

I doubt it though, on either of their parts. It's nearly unheard of. Brie is the lead, has acknowledged herself as a GLOW lead (said the actual words). Maron has as well.

I agree. This isn't the case of an actor winning seven Emmys in a row for the same part, so they take themselves out of the running for the next year.

• Love 1

So Netflix had a Glow panel and apparently a Glow themed TCA (critics) but still refused to announce if they were giving it a third season. I'm guessing it'll be renewed otherwise why trot the stars out for a panel.