Type keyword(s) to search

Chesapeake Shores - General Discussion

• Start Topic

So now that the season (series??) is over, I'll give it a watch since I've only seen the first ep. I heard from FB that there will be a spin-off movie but I can't decipher whether it's about all the sisters or one sister. The only sister I can really tolerate is Bree and if the movie is about Jess, I'm nuking it from orbit (it's the only way to be sure). 

Rewatching the first season (the only good one), I'm still intrigued how good the pilot is to how bad the show is now. That has to take some epic fail writing to make sure there is no tension or conflict and still push out a full season. If they do a movie, I think there's a better chance of having something interesting happening since that seems to be their stronger medium.

• Love 2

So I saw one of the nuttiest yet entertaining bonkers Lifetime movie yesterday that I just have to share.

It stars Bree (aka Emilie Ullerup) as a sleepwalking wife who, in the beginning of the movie, wanders over to her married neighbors house and starts getting it on with him. The amusing part? It's David, haha. So they go at it and she ups and leaves after they're done and goes back home where her husband wakes her up. She remembers nothing later on but he becomes obsessed with her even to the point of uttering the lines "I've loved you since I first saw you some odd years ago". There's a whole shebang where Bree continues to sleepwalk and eventually ends up in bed with her best friend (Aurora Teagarden's ex's current wife) and her husband and all sorts of other craziness happens when she sleepwalks. Her and her husband have been trying to get pregnant and it happens, buuut remember that opening scene with David.

I don't wanna give away too much but there are twists and turns that actually had me in suspense to the end.

As Lifetime and Hallmark share directors, writers, and stars (TV movie land is mighty small), I know it's not surprising to see intersection but I couldn't help imagining them as their CS characters. David's wife isn't Jess but I could so see her in the role even as she went on a murderous rampage. 

Oh ya the movie is called Sleepwalking in Suburbia. Catch it if you can. CS watchers will get an extra kick out of it!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Hallmark Channel has ordered a fifth season of the multi-generational family drama led by Jesse Metcalfe and Meghan Ory, ET can reveal. The upcoming season will consist of 10 episodes and is expected to premiere in summer 2021, where it will return to its regular Sunday night time slot.

Though production dates are still in flux, filming will resume next year.

“Chesapeake Shores has been such a fulfilling, creative journey for me and a bona fide hit for the Hallmark Channel, as well as finding new audiences around the world," Metcalfe exclusively tells ET. "Our superfans call themselves 'Chessies,' and I know how invested they are in these characters. That’s why I’m excited to let them know that we’ll be back with all new episodes next summer.”

https://www.etonline.com/hallmarks-chesapeake-shores-renewed-for-season-5-all-the-details-142282

chesapeake.thumb.jpg.dbafc4ae848e6ce447a5da8b34c81ece.jpg

• Love 1
On 7/18/2020 at 4:47 PM, screengem said:

“Chesapeake Shores has been such a fulfilling, creative journey for me and a bona fide hit for the Hallmark Channel, as well as finding new audiences around the world," Metcalfe exclusively tells ET. "Our superfans call themselves 'Chessies,' and I know how invested they are in these characters. That’s why I’m excited to let them know that we’ll be back with all new episodes next summer.”

https://www.etonline.com/hallmarks-chesapeake-shores-renewed-for-season-5-all-the-details-142282

chesapeake.thumb.jpg.dbafc4ae848e6ce447a5da8b34c81ece.jpg

They paid him to say that. Are there any GOOD family/love story series to watch?

Ok. I have another question for almost ALL show leaders. Why are you all incapable of writing interesting stories about couples? You seem to think couples in love are boring. Idiots. No one ever said Charles and Caroline Ingalls needed more break up/make up angst. Just get couples together and get on with their lives. This show could have been so great if the couples were rolled out slowly. But no. Instead we got this mess.

Edited by Bali
  • Love 2

I don't think they had to pay him to say it.  Jesse seems quite happy at Hallmark.  He probably knows he's not the best actor in the world and at 42 he's nearly twenty years older than Hollywood's current crop of male heartthrobs like Timothee Chalamet.  At Hallmark he has a lead role in a successful (albeit getting towards the end) series where he gets to not only act but perform musically, which seems like something else he loves, and he has guaranteed paychecks in made-for-tv movies (particularly at Christmas) and mysteries.  He also seems like he's got a lot of goodwill at the network, he's popular with fans, and when Chesapeake ends he'll probably get cast in something else.  This is a tough time for a lot of actors and he seems very grateful for what he has.

I like him, resemblance to Eddie Munster notwithstanding.  (Seriously dude, the longer swept back hair is a huge mistake.)  He seems like a sweetheart.

• Love 5

Okay maybe I take back what I said in September.  Maybe he's not that happy.  Though I'll watch his departure with mixed emotions, since I really liked the hot teacher.  I wonder if they're going to kill him off or if he'll just leave for Nashville for like, the fifth time.

Why is Hallmark incapable of keeping a male lead in their series?  Do the guys get too big for their britches or is the working environment there really so awful?

• Love 1
(edited)

Anyone watching the Memorial Day marathon on HM&M channel?  Gearing up for the S5 premier on Aug 15. Gagging on the syrupy sweetness, conveniences, contrivances, pretty clothes and dangly jewelry at the breakfast table at 7 am, Jess’ childlike spazzing, Brie’s complaining, Connor’s whining, Kevin’s wish-washiness and Traces over-gelled hair. Abby and Mick are the only ones I can tolerate 

just heard a line if dialogue that bugged with the nyc fire depth being referred to as the NYFD when it’s the FDNY

Edited by ctlady

I'm going to watch S5 but I have a feeling it'll be the last one I watch.  I don't even like Trace all that much, he seemed very self-involved, but he, Abby, and Mick were indeed the only somewhat tolerable characters (minus his terrible hair).  I guess I don't mind Bree at times, though it got really tedious to watch rehearsals of her play last season.  Rehearsals just aren't all that interesting.  Jess drives me bonkers.

At this point I feel like I'm watching solely for the elaborate sunlit 7 AM breakfast buffets where everyone looks perfect.  It's a nice escape from my house where we gulp down coffee and yell at each other and there's lots of scrambling to find socks.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I wish shows like this would use the Bridgerton model - make each season cover one book so they can avoid the contrived break up / make up that IMHO ruins the shows.  That's why I stopped watching the Andie McDowell series.  

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/1/2021 at 2:04 PM, dubstepford wife said:

At this point I feel like I'm watching solely for the elaborate sunlit 7 AM breakfast buffets where everyone looks perfect.

Seriously!  I griped about the very same thing back here

I like the drama and the scenery, but the couples are just so boring with ZERO chemistry - just like on When Calls The Heart.  They're making this big deal over Kevin & Sarah and I don't feel it - never did.  Same what they did in the past with Brie and Simon, Connor and Danielle (who had more of a brother/sister vibe) And don't get me started on Jess and David - she is a hyper, immature child right from the opening scene in the pilot when she called Abby in a panic.  

And below zero on the meter with Abby and Trace.  Just.Don't.Care.  I was hoping something would work out with her and the single dad from her girls' school.  At this point, Mick and Megan have the most chemistry

Edited by ctlady
Linked wrong past post
  • Love 2

I'm actually looking forward to the new season.  Taking Trace out of the equation opens up a lot of possibilities.  It's still Hallmark so I'm sure I'll be disappointed, but if nothing else, we'll finally get to move on from the endless Trabby drama of "will they or won't they."  (I guess they won't!)

And shallow note: I like Megan Ory's new hair.  The choppy-lob-plus-bangs looks much better on her than it does on some other Hallmark leading ladies (cough cough...ErinKrakow...cough cough).

Okay, so I saw a sneak-peek commercial for the new season, and regarding David and Jess, 

Spoiler

did we know that they are getting married?!  Blech!  Did one of them propose last season and I Eternal Sunshined it from my mind?  I don't remember that happening AT ALL. 

There's a new guy interacting with Bree in the commercial, so I'm assuming he's her new love interest (it's another one of those guys that is in a bunch of Hallmark movies but rarely or never?? as the lead).  STILL mad she didn't end up with David, Hallmark!!

I can't believe that another Hallmark show is losing it's lead guy with Jesse Metcalfe leaving.  Mmm, don't care much either way, but the network should do a better job in locking down contracts.  Now...if we could just lose Jess...(and maybe Megan, who I dislike, and Sarah, who I just feel nothing for).

I’m fine with Jesse leaving. I didn’t hate his character, but there were times where I felt like the music portion of the show was like watching a totally different show. There’s enough of an ensemble that I wouldn’t notice his being gone. 

I am a bit annoyed that Abby is getting another love interest. I thought she had nice chemistry with both the teacher and the single dad played from the previous season. 

• Love 2
On 8/12/2021 at 8:57 PM, Stacey1014 said:

I am a bit annoyed that Abby is getting another love interest. I thought she had nice chemistry with both the teacher and the single dad played from the previous season. 

I *loved* the hot teacher last season.  Sweet, funny, and super cute.  More of him, Hallmark, please and thank you.

On 8/12/2021 at 4:29 PM, SonofaBiscuit said:

I can't believe that another Hallmark show is losing it's lead guy with Jesse Metcalfe leaving.  Mmm, don't care much either way, but the network should do a better job in locking down contracts.

Yeah seriously, what is this, the third?  fourth?  series on this channel that has lost its male lead?  Men must hate it there.  That being said I think that Chesapeake didn't need Trace, I also didn't hate him but his character was kind of selfish and therefore fairly easy to root against.  I just wish that for once Hallmark wasn't immediately like, "Oh no!  A woman is single!  Must find her a man NOW!"

• LOL 2

So according to the prior season recap at the start of the show, Jess and David did get engaged last season.  I seriously don't remember that happening, LOL.  I'm not sure I can take an entire season of Jess spazzing out about getting married, yikes. 

I still think Megan sucks for ditching her children and wish the show would ditch her.  A big NO to her and Mick reconnecting.

The Trace/Abby break-up was awkward and I could very much tell that "Hey, Jesse Metcalfe is leaving so we have to split these two up. And it has to be Abby who dumps Trace so that we can give her new love interests instead of having her pining away for him!" And Trace is already gone and is just going to be shown in flashbacks?  Seems pointless, but OK.

Teacher love interest seems sweet and is good with Abby's kids, so I hope that works out.

Kevin and Sarah trying for a baby?  Eh, who cares?

Connor in general?  Eh, who cares.  I did like his new co-worker jokingly telling him that she's reporting him to HR, though.  Ha!     

• Love 1

I've only seen a few CS episodes but watched the Sunday countdown while I worked so I would be prepared for the incessantly advertised new season.  

My takeaway from Episode One?  The wig that Meghan Ory wore in those flashbacks has to be one of the worst ones ever.  Hallmark has a big enough budget to provide better props than that, although Candance Cameron Bure's in the Aurora Teagarden mysteries is pretty awful, too.

• Love 1

Hallmark's wigs always look like they come from Spirit Halloween.

I'm working my way through the books that this series is based upon.  I like them, they're actually pretty good.  They're nice easy reads.  I'll never understand why Hallmark feels the need to take books that include even the tiniest bit of actual adult storylines and completely blandify them.

I will say this: I really like how they handled Abby and Trace's breakup.  It felt like a very mature way to go about it, to actually acknowledge that you're different people as grownups than you were as teenagers and that sometimes people are in love with the idea of love.  And I think I agree that Trace seems very goal-oriented, once he gets something (be it her, or success in music) he just moves on to the next goal.  They've left the door open for him to come back in the future but I'd be very content to see this be the end of Trace.  Team Jay. 

Edited by dubstepford wife
  • Useful 1
17 hours ago, Clawdette said:

My takeaway from Episode One?  The wig that Meghan Ory wore in those flashbacks has to be one of the worst ones ever.

Megan (the character) new 'do with the bangs looks great on her.  Abby.....not so much.  Bangs are way too severe

On 8/16/2021 at 10:39 AM, SonofaBiscuit said:

Connor in general?  Eh, who cares. 

Definitely not me.  Next to spazzy Jess, he's the worst - blowing up over every time he gets his feelings hurt.  What a tool!

On 8/12/2021 at 8:57 PM, Stacey1014 said:

I am a bit annoyed that Abby is getting another love interest.

I'm more annoyed at the trope behind the pairing.  I mean - of COURSE he's this single, good looking billionaire whom she just.can't.stand.  Ugh, save it

• Love 1
On 8/16/2021 at 5:39 PM, SonofaBiscuit said:

The Trace/Abby break-up was awkward and I could very much tell that "Hey, Jesse Metcalfe is leaving so we have to split these two up. And it has to be Abby who dumps Trace so that we can give her new love interests instead of having her pining away for him!" And Trace is already gone and is just going to be shown in flashbacks?  Seems pointless, but OK.

It was just sooo stupid: in the end of last season Trace suddenly came to Abby and they kissed, now they kissed and Abby suddenly said that their relationship isn't working. I couldn't understand the former, but I understood the latter even less but the worst of all was the combination.

I have lost all hope for Abby. She smiles when she says something that is suppose to be serious which makes her totally unconvincing.

Has she a wig?     

• Love 1
On 8/19/2021 at 4:58 PM, Roseanna said:

It was just sooo stupid: in the end of last season Trace suddenly came to Abby and they kissed, now they kissed and Abby suddenly said that their relationship isn't working. I couldn't understand the former, but I understood the latter even less but the worst of all was the combination.

I have lost all hope for Abby. She smiles when she says something that is suppose to be serious which makes her totally unconvincing.

Has she a wig?     

Abby is wearing a long wig in the flashback scenes with Trace. 

I never felt like Trace and his music fit with this show, so I'm not sad to his character leave.  I assume they will put Abby with Robert Buckley instead of the charming teacher, which is a real shame.  

Jess continues to be one of the most annoying characters I have ever seen on a TV show.  

I do like how this show doesn't try to shoehorn every character into each episode, unlike When Calls the Heart.  

The breakup was so awkward!!!! That kiss was clearly a reunion kiss at the end of last season 2 years ago.  And now they’ve corrupted it into a breakup kiss? 
I knew Jesse was leaving, they haven’t said why. Seems odd to leave 5 years in to a probable 7 year contract. I know he had a new murder mystery show.  In the books Abby and Trace are THE couple. Giving Abby a new love interest isn’t going to change the tone or direction of the show.

Guess I'm the first one to post on the recent episode (2).  It boils down to this for me - I'm only watching to snark.  If only the writers put the effort into script, timing, etc. that wardrobe does into giving Bree a too-young-for-her (IMO) outfit (pleather pants and LGBTQ friendly tshirt) 

We're back with the unbelievable 'morning breakfast at the crack of dawn' scenes with (mostly) everyone around the table all bright eyed and bushy tailed, dressed for work/school or just coming from yoga or a run and it looks as if it's mid-day outside, yet the girls still have to get ready for school.  Abby has her hair in a pony tail with her bangs french braided over to the side, yet when she drops the girls off at school it's down, blow dried and flat ironed out to perfection.

Bree annoys me almost as much as Jess.  I don't know what it is about the actress and how she contorts her face when she delivers her lines with comical awkwardness, but her front teeth are always so exposed.  Bree - put those teeth away!

No Connor (that I didn't recall seeing- I may have gotten distracted by paint drying) and still no gran and her stylish hats sighting

A farmers market stand right outside on the sidewalk of Sally's Cafe?  Really??

What month are we supposed to be in here?  The ladies are all decked out in scarves, leggings, boots, cardigans and sipping much needed coffee from obviously empty mugs before a state-o-the-art fire pit

What girl in HS had a nemesis who was a boy?  And how immature of Bree to ask Jerome after all these years WHY he never picked her for the debate team?  Of course, another unattached "I loathe him with the fire of 1,000 suns" guy moves back to Chesapeake Shores just in time to be a love interest.  

Make that 2 unattached guys with the homeless convenience store guy who, I might add, has THE best luck shopping from the donations bin by finding a flannel shirt and a nice pair of work boots just his size like......right there!

The only thing holding my interest is Mick's business/lawsuit drama.  

Oh, and no Sara - thank God!  Kevin scenes are much better without her

• LOL 4
On 8/23/2021 at 5:51 PM, Koalagirl said:

Abby is wearing a long wig in the flashback scenes with Trace. 

Thank you for information. To me, her new hairdo seemed a wig.

BTV, why does Abby smile even when there isn't no cause for it? If one's air doesn't correspond with ones words, the listener often doesn't know what the speaker really means. 

I can't understand what's wrong about the marriage pact (I don't know what it is called in English). The common enterprise the spouses own is a different matter than family fortune that the other spouse is going to inherit.

On 8/24/2021 at 4:36 PM, ctlady said:

What girl in HS had a nemesis who was a boy?  And how immature of Bree to ask Jerome after all these years WHY he never picked her for the debate team? 

I wish they wouldn't at least have made revelation straightaway that all was sheer misunderstanding on both sides.

Don’t care for new “eccentric” billionaire guy, blech.  Hope the show just goes with sweet, cute teacher instead (as Abby’s new guy).

No Jess, yay!  And the flowers all the ladies in her family chose for the centerpieces looked like a funeral arrangement, ha!  How appropriate 🤣

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
20 hours ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

Don’t care for new “eccentric” billionaire guy, blech.  Hope the show just goes with sweet, cute teacher instead (as Abby’s new guy).

No Jess, yay!  And the flowers all the ladies in her family chose for the centerpieces looked like a funeral arrangement, ha!  How appropriate 🤣

With the exception of the final scene at the house, the new guy was just plain obnoxious. 

I’m glad the younger brother (I can never remember his name) found out about the other client sooner rather than later. Not liking the female lawyer. She seems like she’s ready to throw him under the bus.

Also, why does the new guy get top billing over the rest of the cast in the opening credits?

• Love 1

Wow - only 2 comments on last Sunday's episode and none so far on last night's.  Looks like the disinterest in this show is growing.  Glad there's only 2 more episodes left and hoping they wrap up because I don't think they can squeak out another season.

I will say that I like the decrease in the romance/couplings and have far more interesting (IMO) plots like Megan and the hermit artist, Conner and his nefarious law firm, Thomas and Mick reliving their hiking glory days (though you can tell by  how easy Thomas slung that 'fully stocked' backpack over his shoulder that it was prop-empty), Kevin and his captain with possible dementia (I find Kevin a lot more interesting when Sarah isn't involved).  I also like the plot with the ex-con new hire at  The Bridge (Lucas) and his background story.  I didn't even mind the d-plot with Jess and David hosting guests looking for a mythical woodland creature

No Bree and her frightening front teeth (at least, I don't recall seeing her) and, if I'm not mistaken, still no gran sightings, but she's in the credits.  And billionaire Evan is still and entitled, annoying little twit.  He's not even coming across as charmingly funny.  Not.At.All.

I tried.  I really did.  I wanted to reward Hallmark actually trying some storylines that aren't paint-by-numbers cliche romances.  In theory I like the idea of broaching the topics of military related dementia and/or PTSD, different people finding common ground through art, and maintaining your integrity while practicing law.  These all have a ton of potential for heartwarming shows/films.  But I just don't think Hallmark's writers are up to the task.  I gave up on Chesapeake after two episodes.  (And Jess is leading hunts for Big Foot?  I didn't make it to that episode but that sounds about right given her maturity over the previous seasons.)

Hallmark is stuck in a catch-22...the paint-by-numbers romances means they don't attract top quality writing talent, and the fact that their writing talent isn't very good means they can't really pull off anything except paint-by-numbers romances.

Good Witch is done.  Chesapeake is on life support.  When Calls the Heart can't go on forever.  They need some new shows, especially now that Netflix is taking their market share with Virgin River and Sweet Magnolias.

The Captain of the fire house is putting baking soda in his chili, losing his keys in the fridge, repeatedly calling Kevin the wrong name, etc., and nobody else except Kevin is noticing?! 

Mick would not have just walked off that fall down the rocky hillside.  What I saw were multiple broken bones, LOL.

Do I have this right? That Dilfer guy forged Mick’s name on contracts and Mick has these forged contracts just sitting around his office? Huh? I’m confused about that and about why Mick didn’t seek out this paperwork when he was accused of being involved in the whole thing? If someone accused me of being involved in something illegal, I would probably be looking through all of the relevant paperwork, hoping to find something amiss, but that’s just me.

David screaming at the owl was hilarious.

Why does Hallmark keep counting down the episodes until David and Jess’ wedding?! David is sweet and cute and I keep hoping he will come to his senses before then (I don’t think that is what Hallmark is going for). 

• Love 1

Wheeee - am I the first one to comment on last night's episode again? 

Gran - that's all I have to say on her.  Accent is still grating

Abby - we get it.  You want to give Evan and good as he gives with the snarky replies.  But really....enough.  I guess the backgammon scene at the end might put an end to them

Everyone say it - Connor O'Brien, Esquire .....coming soon to a perfectly situated, soon-to-be vacant beach front office on the Shore

I didn't think he'd have the power to do so, but I was so hoping that the firehouse Captain would not name Kevin as his replacement.  That would be WAY too contrived

UGH, with the agonizing baby drama.  Sara wants them, but fears she can't have any.  Jess probably can, but doesn't want to.  And both significant others are okay with it.   Am I the only one who wanted David to tell Jess, "I love you....I really do, but I'm part of this marriage too and I want kids" and make it a deal breaker?  Why does Jess get to drop this bombshell on him a week before the wedding?  I know she didn't completely rule out motherhood, but still - it was completely inconsiderate and deceptive for her to do that to David

Abby wins the marathon portion of the triathalon - oooooookayyyyy.

I thought what Connor did was savvy to squash Mick's lawsuit.  I was kind of hoping his co-worker (forgot her name) found her own morals and quit to go with him - ala Jerry Maguire.  Who knows....maybe next week

I like Mandrake (Evan's chauffeuar/manservant/assistant, etal)

And, dang, that has to be THE fastest registration to perform wedding ceremonies EVER.  Call up the site on your phone, push a button and....done!  No filling in name, contact information, credit card payment.  Have the writers ever registered for anything online in their lives???

• Love 4
On 9/13/2021 at 5:30 PM, ctlady said:

And, dang, that has to be THE fastest registration to perform wedding ceremonies EVER.  Call up the site on your phone, push a button and....done!  No filling in name, contact information, credit card payment.  Have the writers ever registered for anything online in their lives???

I don't get that - can anybody just make the registration and then perform wedding ceremonies? Isn't the crux of the matter that there is a general register, so that the official that has a legal power to marry couples will first check if the parties are free to marry (of age, single or legally divorced, not too closely related etc) and afterwards make a registration of marriage.

On 9/13/2021 at 5:30 PM, ctlady said:

UGH, with the agonizing baby drama.  Sara wants them, but fears she can't have any.  Jess probably can, but doesn't want to.  And both significant others are okay with it.   Am I the only one who wanted David to tell Jess, "I love you....I really do, but I'm part of this marriage too and I want kids" and make it a deal breaker?  Why does Jess get to drop this bombshell on him a week before the wedding?  I know she didn't completely rule out motherhood, but still - it was completely inconsiderate and deceptive for her to do that to David

I beg to disagree. Nowadays marriage doesn't automatically mean that one wants children. Of course, one must talk about the matter (as well as many other) with the  other party before one marries.

Although David has of course a right to talk about his wishes to Jess and he really should do that, "I want kids" sounds like a demand that is seldom the best way to begin the discussion, especially as a man doesn't become pregnant.

I agree that both men are too compliant, but I suppose Hallmark couldn't handle a problem: if one wants children but the other party doesn't, does one stay married or get divorce, i.e. what is more important - spouse or children?    

Seriously?  Two days past the latest episode and still no comments?   I thought there’d at least be some snark.  Okay – I’ll do my best to provide some J

Jess and her wedding nightmares.  I get being nervous and anxious, but dreaming about your intended being swallowed by a sink hole or the ceremony trellis being hit by a ball of fire?  Jess needs to lay off the SyFy channel

And anyone else noticed that when she wakes up from both dreams that David is gone and the sun is shining as if it’s mid-day?  Shouldn’t she be up at the crack of dawn with him to, I don’t know, RUN YOUR INN?  As far as I know, they don’t have any other employees for her to be sleeping presumably that late

Yep -  I called it in last episodes post.  Connor is looking for an office front to open his own practice.  A former pet shop and he already has the plans drawn out which Mick and his crew can make happen in less than a week so Connor can go and save the world. Also, can someone confirm that Connor lives at the O’Brien waterfront estate?  I thought he moved out a couple of seasons ago.  Brie also?  I already know Abby and her girls still live there

Of COURSE Evan just HAPPENS to show up at Abby’s karate/ tai kwon do (sorry – spelling?) class and, of course, he just so happened to study other forms of self defense  and, of course, he has to show up in all black to stand out.  How did this annoying dude become top billing (even before MO) in the opening credits again??

Someone please give Mandrake more screen time.

Brie getting an awkward kiss from her old high school nemesis (can’t remember his name – yeah, that’s how vested I am)  What was really awkward was the background dude in a trench coat, foot up on the steps reading a newspaper.  That looked way too staged

Diane Ladd is looking really frail.  I’m guessing that’s why she’s been in minimal episodes.  That birthday gesture for Arthur was sweet and Callie’s art is beautiful

Lucas is a babe.  I’m rooting for him

Well, of COURSE those objects found on Evan’s work site are centuries old artifacts and not those of some random resident who crashed his boat and lost his glasses.    And you know he’s not going to pull out of the deal and leave because, you know, top billing and all

Speaking of the scene where Abby tells Evan that the Smithsonian, no less, has to shut the site down, she’s wearing the same exact top and jeans as she did in the next scene with the Smithsonian lady where Mick asks where Evan is and Abby says “Iceland”.  Wait….what?  Did Evan catch a plan to Iceland right after that last scene?  Did I miss something?

Hey Kevin – how about asking Jess and David first before inviting Lucas to their wedding?

Although I loved the color, Brie’s strapless jumper did not flatter her.  And what’s with all the dangly jewelry they’ve been dressing the actress in?  Those earrings looked like they curved up to the top of her ear and she had about 4-5 rings on.

And very refreshing to see Jess in a non-strapless wedding dress which are SO overdone.  Her long sleeved lace dress was very, very pretty

Random couple with a baby who don't appear to have previously met Kevin & Sara sit down at a table with them then asks them to hold their baby so they can dance.  That's some massive parental trust right there

So…..Irish music breaks out at the Casa O’Brien wedding reception and everyone breaks out into some sort of jig?  Well……..of COURSE.  This is Chesapeake Shores where the O’Brien’s rule and their ways and customs are legendary!

Edited by ctlady
Had to add more snark
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Roseanna said:

I don't get that - can anybody just make the registration and then perform wedding ceremonies? Isn't the crux of the matter that there is a general register, so that the official that has a legal power to marry couples will first check if the parties are free to marry (of age, single or legally divorced, not too closely related etc) and afterwards make a registration of marriage.

Yes, anybody can register and start performing ceremonies.  One of my friends registered at the "Universal Life Church" or something like that, and poof, he could marry people.  And he did!  He performed the ceremony for my sister and signed her marriage license. 

There is no central registry of any kind for officiants.  However, states require a marriage license application where that information is gathered.  And you have to show ID, etc., to verify you are legally able to be married.

I got married in Denver, and Colorado doesn't even require an officiant.   You can "self-solemnize" if you want.  Lots of people there have private ceremonies on mountaintops and do it themselves.

Edited by izabella
5 hours ago, ctlady said:

Seriously?  Two days past the latest episode and still no comments?   I thought there’d at least be some snark.  Okay – I’ll do my best to provide some J

Brie getting an awkward kiss from her old high school nemesis (can’t remember his name – yeah, that’s how vested I am)  What was really awkward was the background dude in a trench coat, foot up on the steps reading a newspaper.  That looked way too staged

I noticed that guy too - thought it was either going to be a flash mob or Constantine got lost on his way to a CW set.

• LOL 1

I got caught up last night -- I hate the billionaire.  He's your stereotypical Hallmark romantic enemy-turned-lover stock character but actually minus the charm that most of those guys have.  He goes back and forth between arrogant, annoying, and a little bit creepy.  I remain Team Hot Teacher.

Though speaking of Hallmark stereotypes, I feel like I'm going crazy because Connor is starting to look really good to me.  I'm over the typical Hallmark Ken doll look, I'm digging Connor's goofy manic pixie dream man turned power attorney vibes.  Can we give that actor a lead in a Christmas movie or something?

Poor Bree has nothing to do this season.

• Love 2
On 9/21/2021 at 5:25 PM, dubstepford wife said:

I got caught up last night -- I hate the billionaire.  He's your stereotypical Hallmark romantic enemy-turned-lover stock character but actually minus the charm that most of those guys have.  He goes back and forth between arrogant, annoying, and a little bit creepy.  I remain Team Hot Teacher.

I love Robert Buckley, and he's the only reason I started watching this show. And yet...I wonder how they can make him so unappealing and annoying with this Peter Pan billionaire character. Come back to the Hallmark movies, Robert, where they use you better!

I'm not Team Hot Teacher--I don't see the appeal there, either, but maybe it's because I only started watching with the first Evan episode so I don't know the background. Or because I want the teacher to wash his stringy hair before I give him my approval. So I guess that makes me Team Abby, Choose Your Children And Forget The Guys?

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 2

I also love Robert Buckley and find him a way more compelling actor than the teacher (who I've liked okay in other roles, but never really does that much for me). He's also been a regular on other shows, which is probably why he was able to get his spot in the credits here.

As for his character, I haven't really found him rude or arrogant in the same way other rich characters have been arrogant on various shows. He just feels weird and eccentric to me, like he doesn't really know how regular people act, and is just being himself in a way that's weird and eccentric. So far I can see how it hasn't totally worked all the time for everyone, but I have to admit I've found him fairly amusing, and more interesting to watch in scenes with Abby than the teacher (whose name I still don't remember). I realize I'm in the minority here, but...it's working for me?

ETA: I'm also somewhat interested in his history. They've talked about how he's never really had a family, but what does that mean? Is it inherited wealth and he just had absent parents who sent him off to boarding schools or whatever? Or is he self-made somehow? Have they talked about this and I just don't remember?

Edited by redpencil
  • Love 2
On 9/24/2021 at 3:21 PM, kirinan said:

I'm not Team Hot Teacher--I don't see the appeal there, either, but maybe it's because I only started watching with the first Evan episode so I don't know the background. Or because I want the teacher to wash his stringy hair before I give him my approval. So I guess that makes me Team Abby, Choose Your Children And Forget The Guys?

Team You Don't Need a Man to Be Fulfilled is always a good team to be on!  :-)  

The teacher looked better last season.  He had shorter hair and often came armed with baked goods and wine.  And Trace was still around then so he looked great by comparison (and now I think looks great compared with the billionaire).  I still like him this season but I get the stringy hair complaint.

• Love 3

There are just too many storylines going on. They just gloss over everything. A few weeks ago we find out Sarah has endometriosis and probably can’t get pregnant. Cut to a trip to the doctor and is told, you should be able to get pregnant. This week, bam, she’s pregnant. And finds out in the tropiest way possible, she faints… And how about talking about a possible promotion together Kevin and Sarah, instead of “well, whatever you want is fine with me…”?

Oh no…David and Jess have marital problems because she kicks at night!! Horrors!!

• Love 1

When we first met Sarah she was a cop, I believe, and then she was a firefighter.  I understand tough people can get physically ill too but did we really have to go the Victorian fainting couch route?  And wow that was the fastest resolution of infertility I've ever seen.  (Okay second fastest, after Virgin River, if anyone watches that.)

• Love 1

I'm just saying if somebody tells me that what their employer calls them is not their name, the very first thing I do, I mean THE VERY FRIST THING is to ask them what their name actually is and if they'd prefer I use that instead.

• Love 2