Type keyword(s) to search

Chesapeake Shores - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I recently found this show and watched S1 On Demand and the first ep of S2 last night. There are so many nits to pick with this show. The two major ones I have are already mentioned upthread, but I'll add my voice.  The filming location (BC, apparently) is beautiful but doesn't resemble the Maryland coast/Baltimore area in the slightest (the mountains are really distracting). Also the wardrobe choices are baffling to me.  July/August in Maryland are very hot and humid. No one shoud be wearing long sleeves, much less coats and gloves!  When Abby jogs in long sleeves and pants, I practically start sweating on her behalf.  I seriously don't get it.

Plenty of other flaws, such as the sloppy editing previously mentioned, back stories not fully explained or examined, etc.  Diane Ladd's Irish accent comes and goes (I didn't realize she was attempting one until 90 minutes into the pilot) and sometimes a Southern accent shows up instead. And Treat Williams cannot pass for 58. But I will keep watching for Trace and Bree.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 3

Jesse Metcalfe is so pretty- that's all I got. Seriously though, this season seems tighter than last season so I hope that continues. The editing is not as choppy, but Jesse continues to be annoying. She is so needy and whiny. Get a grip!

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Jillybean said:

Also the wardrobe choices are baffling to me.  July/August in Maryland are very hot and humid. No one shoud be wearing long sleeves, much less coats and gloves!

Similarly, this newest episode was supposed to take place at the end of the summer but everyone was all bundled up with springtime foliage in the background!  Ah well, I'm still happy that the show is back, even with these minor annoyances (see also:  Jess and Grandma).

• Love 1

While I believe Jessie is so wrong for begging to all her family members when she accepts every request at the inn, she is so right to be mad at her mother. The woman abandoned her, she barely remembers her, and her family is all, "give her a chance!". Mom is a stranger to her, and waltzes back home like she left for a 2 week vacation.

And that wedding-in-a-week was ridiculous. 

• Love 2

Oh, this crazy show. Why wasn't "little Nell" involved in any of this wedding planning? And I'm waiting for that chef to leave because he's doing way more than he should be doing, but I'm sure he wuvs Jesse and her craziness so much. I preferred him with the other sister (blanking on her name).

Also, the car accident was in the daytime but the paramedics came at night? Hard to believe it took that long to film those scenes. I'm guessing since the firefighter was a hot blonde, she will be involved with Kevin since his fiancé disappeared.

• Love 1

I actually like Jess. The sibling I find the least interesting is actually Abby for some reason. I would be interested to learn a bit more about Conner. He did get some more to do in the last episode, but it was not much.

I really thought last season they were going to put the chef guy with Bree. It looks like they are going with Jess this season, but I thought he had more chemistry with Bree. The switch up seems strange to me, but I have not watched the first season again, so I am unsure how all that was left.

• Love 1

I think the ex came back and Bree didn't want hot chef anymore, and Jess realized that he had more chemistry with Bree and backed off. I have no idea why the writers are doing a complete 180 and making him like Jess again. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, twoods said:

I'm guessing since the firefighter was a hot blonde, she will be involved with Kevin since his fiancé disappeared.

I had to laugh when Kevin looked back and she'd removed her helmet to reveal four feet of flowing hair.  Subtle, show, subtle.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LilWharveyGal said:

I had to laugh when Kevin looked back and she'd removed her helmet to reveal four feet of flowing hair.  Subtle, show, subtle.

I rolled my eyes at that one.

On the plus side, it was nice to see Abby for once without a pound of harsh makeup.

Hopping in late because I didn't know there was a Chesapeake board. (Woo hoo).

Calling it now. I bet Georgia comes back later in the season just as Kevin and the firefighter chick are advancing. Cue...drama!

I'm a lil fuzzy on why Wes was there in the first place (besides to clash with Trace (I think that's his name)). I thought he lived in Abby's old home city? Or maybe he was just visiting to see the girls? 

Nice to see I'm on the same page with many of you.  Boy, I can't stand Jess - I thought chef had more chemistry with Bree also...but I guess show is retconning that.  

I also like Abby more without the harsh makeup - and I think that's purposefully done to show that she's mellowed now that she's back home.

Gram still GRATES and I was starting to lose interest...and then Gregory Harrison shows up.   Au Pair 4 EVA!!!

• Love 1
13 hours ago, MissyPoo said:

Hopping in late because I didn't know there was a Chesapeake board. (Woo hoo).

Calling it now. I bet Georgia comes back later in the season just as Kevin and the firefighter chick are advancing. Cue...drama!

I'm a lil fuzzy on why Wes was there in the first place (besides to clash with Trace (I think that's his name)). I thought he lived in Abby's old home city? Or maybe he was just visiting to see the girls? 

I believe Wes was there because it was the first day of school.

• Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 5:26 PM, chitowngirl said:

While I believe Jessie is so wrong for begging to all her family members when she accepts every request at the inn, she is so right to be mad at her mother. The woman abandoned her, she barely remembers her, and her family is all, "give her a chance!". Mom is a stranger to her, and waltzes back home like she left for a 2 week vacation.

Somehow I must have missed the episode where they explained why the mother left and how long was she gone.  Could someone fill me in?   TIA.

On 8/21/2017 at 4:47 AM, MissyPoo said:

Like Abby, Bree, Connor, and Megan, Wes is leaving big-city life and relocating to Chesapeake Shores (or at least, the Baltimore area). The concept is just silly, but it is in keeping with Hallmark's overarching theme of "big city = bad, small town = good."

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Palomar said:

Somehow I must have missed the episode where they explained why the mother left and how long was she gone.  Could someone fill me in?   TIA.

IIRC, Mom left when Abby was about 11-12. So she's been gone about 20 years. There wasn't any one episode that spelled it out, just comments made along the way. Jess, being the youngest, doesn't really remember her. Mom left because she felt trapped, stifled, etc.  She moved back and wants everything to be hunky dorey. Jess and Connor are having the hardest time with this. 

• Love 1

Have we seen interaction between the mother and her ex-brother-in-law yet? Because it seems to me that both of their returns to CS is too coincidental, and Treat Williams' character seems to have a bone to pick with Gregory Harrison's other than 'Dad liked you best". The superfluous blonde firefighter might be the most annoying meant-to-be love interest ever. On the plus side she may make littlest sister tolerable.

• Love 1
On 8/21/2017 at 3:13 PM, chitowngirl said:

I believe Wes was there because it was the first day of school.

On 8/22/2017 at 11:48 AM, Jillybean said:

Like Abby, Bree, Connor, and Megan, Wes is leaving big-city life and relocating to Chesapeake Shores (or at least, the Baltimore area). The concept is just silly, but it is in keeping with Hallmark's overarching theme of "big city = bad, small town = good."

Thanks guys! I thought I was missing something crucial but had a feeling it was another case of what you said, Jellybean. Ahh Hallmark. Never change.

On 8/25/2017 at 11:26 PM, NorthstarATL said:

Have we seen interaction between the mother and her ex-brother-in-law yet? Because it seems to me that both of their returns to CS is too coincidental, and Treat Williams' character seems to have a bone to pick with Gregory Harrison's other than 'Dad liked you best". The superfluous blonde firefighter might be the most annoying meant-to-be love interest ever. On the plus side she may make littlest sister tolerable.

I think so too, yeah. Not sure if it's the actress trying too hard or the character's supposed hard-a personality, but she's in the running with Georgia (and I normally like Ali Liebwhatsername.  

On August 22, 2017 at 2:48 PM, Jillybean said:

To be fair, this is from the books, not from Hallmark. 

On August 26, 2017 at 2:26 AM, NorthstarATL said:

Spoiler

The brother's appearance has nothing to do with Mom coming back.  At least it didn't in the books.

• Love 1

Nope, I was too busy watching clips of the VMA's on my phone since this episode was so boring. 

That firefighter is super annoying. Is her schtick supposed to be cute?

Maybe this new thing with the author and Bree will peak my interest. I liked him a lot.

The previews don't help much. They are always so misleading to bring out drama that isn't there. Already a possible triangle with Trace, Abby and new guy? Yeah right. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

Jess just keeps becoming more exasperating.  In what world is it cutesy to mess around with someone's livelihood?  How on earth does she keep her own business above water when she can't control these impulsive "great" ideas?

17 hours ago, twoods said:

That firefighter is super annoying. Is her schtick supposed to be cute?

For real!  

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Jillybean said:

Is Megan Ory (Abby) expecting? Her face is much fuller and her wardrobe looser than in S1, and she's doing that thing with big folders and other strategically placed props.

I was wondering the same thing. They are putting her in a lot of jackets, strategically placing props, and other hide the fetus moves. A lot of people here are way better informed than I am about the actors and other stuff. I thought for sure someone would know here and it would be mentioned. It is very possible that I missed it.

I still find Abby the least interesting of the siblings. I hope they do not go the love triangle route though, but I am sure they will.

There are brief moments when I do not mind firefighter lady, but than TPTB go overboard with her schtick.

Yup, I am still the only one that likes Jess. I actually find the relationships within the family more interesting than possible love interests.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I was wondering the same thing. They are putting her in a lot of jackets, strategically placing props, and other hide the fetus moves. A lot of people here are way better informed than I am about the actors and other stuff. I thought for sure someone would know here and it would be mentioned. It is very possible that I missed it.

Jesse Metcalfe is always wearing jackets or loose-fitting shirts this season...or holding a guitar strategically in front of his mid-section... But, yeah, those tricks ARE used to hide an actress' pregnancy. I, for one, am all for it, having suffered through series where the pregnancy written in to the show to disastrous effect.

On 8/28/2017 at 7:08 PM, LilWharveyGal said:

Jess just keeps becoming more exasperating.  In what world is it cutesy to mess around with someone's livelihood?  How on earth does she keep her own business above water when she can't control these impulsive "great" ideas?

Just last week she couldn't get any business at the Inn! Who's running it while she's author-hunting? And, speaking of businesses, while Dad is all up in his daughter's business about not being able to write AND run a bookstore, HIS partner is galavanting to Nashville to record the blandest single ever, when just last week the music venue was his LIFE! It's like he's twelve.

I realized when Abby was speaking to Gregory Harrison that he's her Uncle Tom.

On 8/28/2017 at 4:45 PM, Jillybean said:

Is Megan Ory (Abby) expecting? Her face is much fuller and her wardrobe looser than in S1, and she's doing that thing with big folders and other strategically placed props.

I thought so, too! I kept noticing something different about her and you nailed it. I did some poking around and saw a discussion where someone confirmed they heard Jessie Metcalfe confirm it in an interview. Not sure which one but it makes sense considering we don't' see too much of her aside from a few scenes.

8 hours ago, VartanFan said:

Jess is so ridiculously annoying.  As is the firefighter - and her eyebrows.  

So glad it's not just me thinking this. 

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 6:45 PM, Jillybean said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that she must be.  The jackets, the folders, the water bottles on the kitchen counters at waist level are all give aways. 

I've just returned from Vancouver Island where this is filmed, and it's nothing like Maryland.  But it was very warm.  I think if they actually filmed it in summer you could lose the jackets and long sleeves, but then they'd have to film it a year in advance.

I read the Chesapeake Shores novels as they've come out over the at last few years which is maybe why I find the show so disjointed.  Jess does have a beef with her mother, but the inn looks (or reads) nothing like it does in the books and I find that distracting.

I feel like Abby's ex is not in the picture in the books so I find it completely distracting that he's somehow now moved to Chesapeake Shores to live near the girls?

The constant storyline of , "Will Trace end up back in Nashville with his singing partner?" is just dumb.  But at least the girl playing the singing partner has washed her hair this season.

None of the characters seem to have much of anything to do despite most of them being unemployed.  Bree and the brothers sit around all day in the town bushes spying on people.  Abby and Trace work a little but can generally be found sitting by a fire on the beach.  The dad is apparently out of money?  The mom just kind of floats around visiting the kids while grandma (who is sometimes Irish) makes dinner.

All of the characters need a cause, like saving the town together, or one of the siblings in stead of just hanging out in the same house.

• Love 1
On 9/1/2017 at 0:35 PM, scenicbyway said:

None of the characters seem to have much of anything to do despite most of them being unemployed.  

In the latest episode, it was the employed characters sitting around (while other volunteers ran their businesses) that bugged me.  Then Jess admits she pays David, "when I can," and responsible, financial whiz Abby just laughs?  Say what?

The last scene really made me want a s'more.

• Love 2

Yeah, all the employed people sitting on their asses laughing about someone else doing their damn jobs pissed me off, even more watching poor Kevin doing all the digging while they were giggling. What a bunch of snotty idiots.  And Abby, joining the PTA will not lead to being more involved in your kids' lives. Spend that time by actually hanging out with them. I know this is all plot point so she can feel neglected by Trace following his dream and fall for the hot widow (Victor, I usually love you but I will always be team Trace). 

At least annoying blonde firefighter wasn't on our screen. I did like the final scene with Jess sitting next to her mom after finding her stuffed animal in the box. 

Im still not getting the storyline with the brothers fighting over the land. Maybe I should pay attention next time instead of on my phone, but it's so boring!

Since the critic called out the chef by his name, I'm guessing he will get some big job offer and consider leaving since bratty Jess has him run the entire inn while she's eating s'mores. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 4

The whole treasure hunt storyline had me side-eyeing the writers. Did they run out of things to for everyone not named Trace or chef dude to do and are already having filler eps? I've normally enjoyed each ep but this one had me checking the clock. This season is short as is if it's anything like the first season.

And what happened to Mr. Writer-Man? And who's Bree not paying to watch her shop?

Oh well. At least I still to got to play "What accent is gran using now?"

• Love 1

The writer-man is on his book tour - that's how they got him to the store. Bree mentioned Mom was minding the store.

I enjoyed the sisters watching Kevin digging. Kevin didn't have to keep digging when his sisters were mocking him, that's on him.

i do think too much story time is taken up with Trace. I would rather have more O'Brian time.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 1

Little Bree must have been a BEAST to have buried things so deeply at such a young age! And, yes, the pregnancy hiding was even more ridiculous than ever this episode! The tent-like shawl at the end cracked me up! Pretty good-natured of the rest of the female cast agreeing to cover up as well during that scene. Trace's adventures in Nashville are boring, as is the world's worst next-big-hit, but I guess the pregnancy plus developing romantic stumbling blocks made it necessary. Speaking of stumbling blocks, of COURSE Abby got paired with a widower rather than just another mother, and it happens to be Victor Webster, who looks different somehow, but whose voice is always recognizable to me. Cook guy seemed pretty shaken up by the reviewer using his name in a major newspaper. I'm guessing we'll find out why he's working for the occasional pay.

That makes more sense why he was shaken up about his name being used. An ex-con trying to start a new life? It would cause the usual Chesapeake drama, that will likely get wrapped up in one episode.

Great, Abby is being the typical jealous girlfriend. She has a hot boyfriend who worships her and her kids, and he's doing his freaking job yet she's the one making pouty faces. I just can't.

Kevin, stay away from rude firefighter. She's not answering his calls, yet she steals his fries and burger? Hell no!

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

Kevin's lady friend with the eyebrows is incredibly annoying.  I wanted to ff every scene with her in it.  When she stole his food and acted all huffy at the suggestion of a date where they could BOTH eat I wanted to jump up and smack her. 

Not loving Trace right now, nor floppy-haired British author.  Quirky lawyer girl isn't my favorite, either.   I just found myself very put off by a lot of the characters. 

You know, the books certainly weren't the epitome of great literature, but I'm baffled why the show runners felt they needed to replace the O'Brien's love interests from the books with their own creations (minus Trace).  The book characters were generally likable but still provided enough drama to produce the will-they-won't-they obstacles that tv writers seem to thrive on.   Again, it wasn't earth-shaking drama, but it was certainly better and more interesting than, "Rude Firefighter with 10 Pounds of Hair" and "Nolan from Revenge as a British Author."  

And why, why, why does Jess continue to act and dress like a 12 year old?

I guess it's a testament to the writers because I feel the same way you guys do. I really liked these actors in other roles but these characters are kind of putting me off. I think Hallmark needs to up their series writing game because they always seemed a bit lacking compared to their movies. Maybe it's the extended time to tell their stories but they seem to pad their episodes with filler or unnecessary drama. I'm revisiting season 1 which I'm enjoying all over again.  I notice the characters had their own individual purpose in the episodes and the drama made sense because of the tension of prior story setups (time lost between the family members, unresolved issues that were barreling to the surface, etc). But this season has been up and down.

Abby needs to chill. Trace needs to learn the art of compromise. Firefighter chick needs to cool it on the brows and the overbearing come-ons. Kevin needs to up his mojo game (maybe he can get lessons from his pappy) and find something to do. Jess needs to stop being a busybody and learn that she isn't 12 anymore (funny previous poster and I had the same age idea :-)). Bree is back to being the cool sis so at least there is that. I'd like to see her deal more with handling her own business because that bookshop looks like a ghost town.

Thanks for mentioning the books, LilWharveyGal because I was just going to ask if they were any more consistent with each family's story. I may check them out as a fun comparison.

Okay, three out of the four couples at the family dinner (not including Grandma and the parents) were on their first ACTUAL dates, and maybe I'm just NOT that much of a Hallmark guy in real life, but I usually reserve the family shindigs for when I've gotten to know the person I'm dating just a LITTLE bit before subjecting either one to the other. What was Trace all up in arms about? Was it the "Rock & Roll"? The fact that they were playing without him? The fact that their music wasn't putting anyone to sleep? I think they are just trying to winnow down the "group" to a duo, so that Abby can be more incensed when the two have to play constant all-nighters. Ugh.

I think I'm right about the cook, that his past will probably catch up with him. Jess and Bree both like his buns, though, so I think he'll stick around. And what was with Firegirl's assessment of Kevin as being the glue or whatever that holds the family together? Where did she get THAT from? For that matter, why do all of them downplay the family's togetherness? Other than the Mom leaving once upon a time, they seem to have no real conflicts at all.

12 hours ago, NorthstarATL said:

Okay, three out of the four couples at the family dinner (not including Grandma and the parents) were on their first ACTUAL dates, and maybe I'm just NOT that much of a Hallmark guy in real life, but I usually reserve the family shindigs for when I've gotten to know the person I'm dating just a LITTLE bit before subjecting either one to the other. What was Trace all up in arms about? Was it the "Rock & Roll"? The fact that they were playing without him? The fact that their music wasn't putting anyone to sleep? I think they are just trying to winnow down the "group" to a duo, so that Abby can be more incensed when the two have to play constant all-nighters. Ugh.

I agree with you about a family dinner for a first date being ludicrous...however, this is Hallmark where couples fall in love after one date.

I think one of the things bothering Trace was that the bass player (John?) was helping himself to beer from the taps earlier in the episode as well as serving all his buddies later on when they were playing. Also, weren't they still waiting on a live music permit, whatever that is? I don't know, it just seemed like the guy was acting like it was his club.  Trace's outrage was far less misplaced than Abby's. She really has nothing to be upset about and turning her into a jealous girlfriend is snooze-worthy.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 2
On 9/13/2017 at 10:41 PM, NorthstarATL said:

For that matter, why do all of them downplay the family's togetherness? Other than the Mom leaving once upon a time, they seem to have no real conflicts at all.

That's what befoozled me. In the previous season, Abby ran off a list of issues everyone had with the parents and said their family was broken. There was tons of conflict that was building up to some interesting potential confrontations, but it's seems to be ignored this season for minor tiffs that can be shrugged off by normal people. 

I'm really finding less and less to like each week. These people REALLY have "first world" problems! I mean, how AWFUL to have to go to a JOB every day! Imagine the torture! And then sometimes you have to bring work HOME! And then there was the STUPID cooking thing with Baby Sis and Dave! And their forced chemistry was just that. Forced. Everyone is just too precious.

• Love 4