Type keyword(s) to search

Chesapeake Shores - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I agree with you- decent series besides the heavy sweaters. I love the gorgeous scenery even though it's BC and not Maryland, and of course the eye candy.  I'm not riveted with every scene but it's pleasant to watch while folding some laundry.

I hope that the upcoming episodes focuses more on the other siblings. The youngest daughter is annoying, but I like the writer. Conner is annoying and wonder why he's not studying for the bar, but I like the dynamic between him and his father. 

• Love 1

I'm also really enjoying the show, climate and location issues aside, which surprises me because Hallmark shows generally aren't my cup of tea.  I originally wanted to check it out because I really liked Meghan Ory on Once, and I'm sucked in.  The books have also been added to my to-read list.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

One thing that is driving me nuts is that it is July and Abby is wrapped up in a heavy sweater and blanket like it's late October.

On August 28, 2016 at 10:21 PM, SlovakPrincess said:

Why is everyone wearing slouchy, bulky sweaters in the middle of summer? Maybe I know even less about Maryland than I thought, but doesn't it get pretty hot near Baltimore in July?

In the last episode, Nell was wearing gloves whilst waving goodbye to Mick. Gloves!

I haven't read any of the books, but I hate Diane Ladd's Irish accent. Since it already comes and goes, can't she just drop it?

• Love 3

I'm finding Megan Ory unsympathetic in her custody battle.   She violates the custody agreement by taking the girls out of state for what was supposed to be a weekend but ended up being permanent move.    If my ex decided to move abruptly and take the kids, I would be pissed.  Also the show dropped the workaholic plot way to quickly.  I don't buy that she can just drop everything at work with no notice to her employer and get another offer from another branch of the company so easily.   Whose gonna hire somebody who just leaves town when they feel like it without asking for vacation time in advance?  It should be more of a struggle for her to figure out how to manage her work situation now that she wants to shorten her work hours.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, editorgrrl said:

In the last episode, Nell was wearing gloves whilst waving goodbye to Mick. Gloves!

Dare I hope they were gardening gloves?  (I sort of half-watched the last episode).

I was fully on board with the show when I thought they'd show more of Abby being torn over leaving her high-powered life.  But she doesn't seem to care about actually doing any work.  I was hoping to see more of the work rivalry between Abby and her co-worker ... who is now with her ex-husband!  

As for Connor ... it's July, kid, and the bar exam is at the end of the month, and you are not studying.  You are going to fail.  

And Bree is just going to write a novel now.  About ... something.  On an ancient typewriter.  And pretend to not have a husband anymore.

And the dad is just going to ignore his development projects for the summer.  

And Jess is cluelessly hacking away at her B & B with all the speed and knowledge of a drunken snail.  

I know this is Hallmark, land of magically leaving your stressful life behind with no consequences.  But an entire family (except for Kevin ... unless he decides to go AWOL next episode) being irresponsible at the same time is a bit much.  

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, SlovakPrincess said:

Why did I think Bree had a husband?   A boyfriend then?  I thought she told Abby she had left someone behind.    

Is she also not returning from Chicago?  Did I hallucinate that, too?  LOL

http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/chesapeake-shores/meet-the-family-bree-obrien

You're on point:

A playwright whose first play earned her glowing reviews, Bree hasn't been able to recreate her early success, which has been largely labeled "beginner's luck" by the critical establishment. Currently in an unhappy relationship with an egomaniacal theater director, she has also watched her latest play crash and burn.

I haven't read the books so have no idea where they are going with Conner- mean alcoholic? His outbursts are out of control.

Abby, I dont know how you keep resisting Trace- you are nuts! Your fault you pushed him away.

Hope Kevin is okay.

• Love 3

Does the military really call the family every time a soldier is out of contact? I assume "missing" in the military has an actual legal definition, just as in civilian life, but I could be wrong. It just seems odd to me. SlovakPrincess, you bring up valid points, and I would agree, if it weren't Hallmark, and oh so pretty. I guess it's like my tv version of summer camp. I just want to drink in the scenery...and that includes Jesse Metcalfe, who may or may not have a painting somewhere that is aging for him.

• Love 6

Oh, I'm definitely still watching every episode, even if I poke fun at the show a little bit.  

Glad to see Conner studying for the bar!  Not sure if his yelling at everyone is supposed to be stress from studying, or maybe he is freaking out because he knows he really doesn't want to be a lawyer, or maybe he's just letting out built up resentment from his childhood.  

The Trace plot is starting to get more interesting!  

• Love 2

I read this whole series a few years ago, and just loved the books.  Nice, warm storylines and a great family.  Trace's storyline is a bit different from the book, but seems to be working well.  The character of Jess is annoying now, and was even more so in the book dealing with her character's story.  I have always liked Treat Williams, although I pictured Mick looking more like Tom Selleck - taller, dark and very handsome.  The female cast is gorgeous and I am enjoying the show and scenery very much. 

• Love 2

I'm probably the rare well educated male who loves Hallmark movies and series.  It wish unfortunate the producers couldn't use footage of the Maryland Eastern Shore for background but I can forgive that.  Bree is gorgeous and very cute in her actions regarding moving into the cottage.  Jess is irritating as the youngest daughter but true to the youngest child image.

I don't think this will become my favorite show or anything but I am really enjoying it so far. I love the scenery and the cast. Not really sure how any woman could be "just friends" with Trace, lol.

To me the actress that plays the youngest daughter looks like a combination of Ashley Williams and Marla Sokoloff.  In fact, I even looked her up on IMDB to see if she was another Williams sister (she's not).  She really looks a lot like Ashley to me!

I may have to add this series to my ever growing wishlist of books I want to read.  I am looking forward to more episodes!

• Love 2

Definitely reminds me of the Cedar Cove series which had its good and bad moments but always gorgeous scenery. The difference is I judged that one because I had red the books.  Haven't read these so nothing to compare to. 

Do we know why the mom originally left? Somehow I missed that footage if it was shown.

The latest episode was pleasant enough, but I definitely missed Bree. Obviously Trace and the ex working on a project will lead to nothing but misinterpretations and prolonged estrangement. That scene with Jess and the kids was weird. I don't have children, but I was thinking, in the age of technology shouldn't those types of things be a thing of the past? The family is not hurting for money. Not that children need actual cell phones, but maybe a kid's version which works more like a walkie-talkie and keeps them in communication in case they wander off, but looks like maybe an i-phone to make it seem "cool"?

The Jess/kids scene was to instill Dramaz in a boring episode. Kids wander off all the time- I think Jess was realizing that it's hard to take care of kids.

Bree definitely was missed. Abby continues to come off as self centered and unsympathetic. I'm sticking around for the eye candy and beautiful scenery.

• Love 1

Connor annoys me to distraction, but he is the only one who seemed to really get that Abby could have serious problems because she violated the custody agreement. 

That said, he wasn't needed at the court and really should have been studying.  

Trace and whatshername are definitely going to have issues trying to finish this last album.  

The most heartfelt moments for me were when Mick and Abby tried to be nice to Wes in the elevator - nice touch that they naturally lapsed back into acting like family for a few minutes.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

Trace and whatshername are definitely going to have issues trying to finish this last album.  

I just started watching this...why is her hair so bad?  Is that supposed to be some kind of look she's trying to pull off?  I just really badly want her to wash and comb her hair. 

I was glad they eased up a little on the custody battle and the animosity there.  I can see how it will add drama at some strategic moment, but it looks like it will be mostly in the background.

22 hours ago, izabella said:

I just started watching this...why is her hair so bad?  Is that supposed to be some kind of look she's trying to pull off?  I just really badly want her to wash and comb her hair. 

I'm so distracted just trying to figure out how they're even doing that to her hair.  It looks almost like they tried one of this 1980s crimping devices on it and then brushed it out.  

• Love 6

Is her hair the beginning of dreadlocks maybe?

I've read the whole series and the show seems like a mashup of all the books.  Meghan doesn't really make an appearance until a few books in.

I guess they have to drag it out but friend zoning Trace and Abby seems silly.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

Is her hair the beginning of dreadlocks maybe?

I've read the whole series and the show seems like a mashup of all the books.  Meghan doesn't really make an appearance until a few books in.

I guess they have to drag it out but friend zoning Trace and Abby seems silly.

Dreads were my first thought. How many books are there? 

Okay, there's no way they would have let Kevin recover at home this soon, despite the doctor fiance. He still has fresh wounds for cripes sake! I'm normally very good at suspension of disbelief, but that took me right out of it.

• Love 2

Eh, I believe it since hospitals are known for nosocomial infections. I'm sure Doctor fiancé pushed for it- if she wasn't around he would have been at the hospital. At least they showed the family being wary about it.

So now more dramaz with Abby- kids, Trace, now the DOJ. Looks like next week is the dreaded two sisters falling for the same guy. I was guessing Trace and Bree may eventually go there with their chemistry tonight, but they seem to be going in a different direction.

The Connor scenes are like we are watching a different show. They don't seem to fit well with everything else.

I don't care about the DOJ part at all.

I think it's becoming more common to let patients recover at home. There is less chance of an infection. I understand nthe family was wary about it but I found them really rude to the fiancée.

I can buy the convalescing at home, but NOT the lack of communication on the part of the fiancee, or the military, or whoever is in charge of Kevin's care at this point. Not just common courtesy, but efficiency and management would require some advance warning and arrangements. I felt as if the writer (s?) was trying too hard to have the fiancee be the surprise reveal, rather than focusing the story on Kevin's condition and the way in which the family and the house would need to adjust to make his recovery as painless as possible for everyone.

My brother recently went through an SEC investigation, or, rather, the company he had worked for did, and he was investigated as well as a result. They were relentless and scary, and it went on for more than a year. I wonder whether maybe whatever happens will cause Abby to break all ties to the city and just go ion with someone in Chesapeake Shores on a venture (I'm thinking Jess's B&B with no clientele, or Trace's music venue, wherever it ends up).

Glad Bree was back. maybe it's the actress, but i find her the most engaging of the siblings.

Are we supposed to feel sorry for the mom every time she has a sad face when one of the kids mention something she's missed? Yes, you had a crappy husband but you left your children! She needs to be smacked.

• Love 5
On 9/26/2016 at 3:13 PM, twoods said:

Are we supposed to feel sorry for the mom every time she has a sad face when one of the kids mention something she's missed? Yes, you had a crappy husband but you left your children! She needs to be smacked.

I agree. I find her really irritating. Here's an idea, move within driving distance when you get a divorce.

• Love 4

There is NO way Trace had the time to hook up all those freaking lights! And there was/is still water on the floor! Those two could have been electrocuted and we'd have no show!  I liked this episode because the grandmother was thankfully gone! She drove me crazy last time with her whining about the family not getting along and that they were all "fighting" too much! She should see my family! She'd have a heart attack after one meal! Same thing this time around with them whining about the father being on the phone. It happens. (Though I'd love to see Connor pull his "throw the phone in the water" tricks on his dad!) The youngest sister is now hiring a cook for the B&B? The one where her only guest is her mother? Good thing the family has money.

• Love 3

I thought that the dad was going to get into a plane crash with the way they shot that scene. Lots of choppy scenes in this one.

I'm still watching for you Trace! 

Wondering why fiancé ran away. Didn't she make a huge deal that it was best for Kevin to recover at home and then she's off. I know the family is annoying but support your fiancé crazy lady.

I like Bree with that guy- he has more chemistry than with Jess. And if she doesn't think they have much in common why is she still with him- so she doesn't have to lose him to her sister?

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2

These idiots are all being pretty blasé about the DOJ coming after Wes and Abby.  

Also, could someone please punch Connor in the face repeatedly until he stops trying to be a lawyer without a license?  That'd be swell.

I totally thought they were going to kill the dad during that random plane scene, too!  I guess that was just to show him coping with his stress ... the stress of having to support a family of adult children who have all moved back home and (except for Abby ... maybe?) need financial support.   While they judge him for being on business calls all the time.  

I missed an episode -- where did Bad Hair Girl go?  Is Trace still obligated to make one last album with her?

• Love 5

I think she went back to Tennessee. No explanation was really said. Bree is my favorite. If Jess doesn't really like the guy why keeps dating him? And almost covering up with the SEC, couldn't Abby use that in court for the custody case? 

On 10/3/2016 at 2:36 PM, twoods said:

Wondering why fiancé ran away. Didn't she make a huge deal that it was best for Kevin to recover at home and then she's off. I know the family is annoying but support your fiancé crazy lady.

I think everything about the fiancee has felt off, and weird.  I know I'm supposed to believe it's a real engagement and they're in love, but something just doesn't feel right and never has, like it isn't real or like they're hiding something. 

• Love 5

They really annoyed me with all the whining about the dad working. Look, sometimes work does have to come first.  He has to make a living and support most of his adult kids.

Abby was also irritating. Not everyone needs to be on your schedule. She's so dismissive of everyone. 

• Love 5

Pegasaurus, I think you touched on exactly what is wrong with this show. The editing is so sloppy, and it's as if the scenes aren't complete. Trace and the scenery is the reason why I'm staying.

I thought all of the dad's scenes were useless. Is it to show that he works and sacrifices for his family? Jess spends a second breaking up with boyfriend, then Bree and the guy make googoo eyes at each other and suddenly the ex is back. They didn't even give Bree and the guy a chance for us to get invested in them. 

After episodes of angst over the custody stuff, ex hubby says oh you can have them Abby, and I'm moving nearby now! Wouldn't that be incentive to have joint custody since the kids won't have to travel? 

And now Abby and Trace are happy, so of course he's arrested. I'm sure next season it will be resolved with a quick scene, but Trace will feel so guilty not saying goodbye to his dying dad that he will push Abby away (I never read the books just a speculation).

And the girls weren't there at the end bonefire since they were sleeping at home and their dad was watching them. We can't have anyone interrupting the close knit scene with the original O'Brien clan.

• Love 4

I just caught up on the finale, and you all are so right.  What a disjointed mess.  It's like the writers just came up with bullet points they wanted to hit rather than fully fleshed out plotlines.  

However, I'm hooked.  The scenery, the cozy feeling...I have no shame.

• Love 5
On 9/26/2016 at 0:13 PM, twoods said:

Hmmm..I thought they had an argument  discussion that he somehow kept her away from the kids or forced her out of their lives after the divorce...that it wasn't her choice she was missing so much of their early lives....or maybe I made that up to fill in the huge gaping holes in the story. (Geez, everyone's story has gaping holes it seems.)

Edited by RedRockRosie
  • Love 1

He couldn't have kept her from her kids unless she had been proven to be an unfit mother.  It seems she moved far, far away after the divorce instead of staying in town.  Maybe she felt she had to (I think she said something about needing support and going where a family member was?), but nothing prevented her from staying or moving back at any time, nor seeing her children.  I would expect she'd have some alimony (does she have a job?), and that would have helped her get back on her feet and given her the funds to fly back to see the kids.  Maybe I missed her back story, but none of it made any sense to me.

Finally I binged this show through for the last two days. It was interesting but still got some weaknesses for example... out of blue scenes. I had to check out Chesapeake Shores based on actor name recongization from Everwood days & I thought why not? 

I hope I can see the finale from season 1 first.  I went on vacation when it was shown and it was abruptly removed from my On Demand channel before I had a chance to watch it. 

51 minutes ago, Palomar said:

I hope I can see the finale from season 1 first.  I went on vacation when it was shown and it was abruptly removed from my On Demand channel before I had a chance to watch it. 

It's still available on Spectrum On Demand in NC. 

14 hours ago, DeafAngelboy23 said:

It's still available on Spectrum On Demand in NC. 

Thanks DeafAngelboy23!  I have Spectrum in CA.  I will see if it is back.  I know it wasn't earlier in the year.