Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: eps2.8_h1dden-pr0cess.axx

• Start Topic

REALLY good episode with an exciting end.  It was the shortest episode of the season too and I think it helped build suspense. 

Loved the Price/Colby scene in the beginning.  Elliot's scenes with Joanna and Darlene were also excellent.  If anything bothered me, it's hiding these reveals.  Where is Tyrell (I enjoyed that scene) and who was it that confronted Angela.

Darlene telling that story about being taken by a stranger when she was 5 is either a continuity error by Sam Esmail (which I doubt) or a sign that she is an unreliable narrator.  Two episodes ago, she was telling Susan that she remembered her laughing about the E Corp verdict when she was 4 (after her father's death I'm pretty sure) and yet she tells Cisco about going out with her parents when she was 5.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, benteen said:

REALLY good episode with an exciting end.  It was the shortest episode of the season too and I think it helped build suspense. 

Loved the Price/Colby scene in the beginning.  Elliot's scenes with Joanna and Darlene were also excellent.  If anything bothered me, it's hiding these reveals.  Where is Tyrell (I enjoyed that scene) and who was it that confronted Angela.

Darlene telling that story about being taken by a stranger when she was 5 is either a continuity error by Sam Esmail (which I doubt) or a sign that she is an unreliable narrator.  Two episodes ago, she was telling Susan that she remembered her laughing about the E Corp verdict when she was 4 (after her father's death I'm pretty sure) and yet she tells Cisco about going out with her parents when she was 5.

Did she actually say her dad was already dead when recounting the trial?  I think it might have been framed as "what you did to him," which could have just been giving him terminal cancer at that point. 

Darlene's story was pretty creepy. She doesn't consider that the woman that kidnapped her might not have been the best parent either? "But she gave me a choice and a princess bed so she must be awesome!" my first thoughts were that she was a human trafficker. 

It took a long time but it feels like we're finally getting somewhere this season. Maybe a little less snails pace build up next time, show?

• Love 4

So the E Corp CEO has a God complex . . . shocker to no one. And that always ends so well. . . 

Loving Elliott being back in the hacker groove. What was the address that the call couldn't possibly be coming from? Was the call coming "FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE?"!!!! :-D

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, SailorGirl said:

So the E Corp CEO has a God complex . . . shocker to no one. And that always ends so well. . . 

I totally meant to mention that! He just got douchier by the second. I used to like his conniving ways but now.. eh, douche alert.

5 hours ago, SailorGirl said:

Loving Elliott being back in the hacker groove. What was the address that the call couldn't possibly be coming from? Was the call coming "FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE?"!!!! :-D

It was something like 92nd Street (or Ave?) and didn't catch the cross streets around it.  I have no idea what type of neighborhood that is.  Anyone know NYC enough to say? The way the body guard reacting saying no way the call came from in there I was thinking maybe the house of the husband of the wife Tyrell killed.  At number two would be Price's place.  Maybe Terry Colby's because he showed up again this episode.  I briefly thought it could be Tyrell's own house but Elliot, having just been there, would recognize that address so no to that.  Probably will wind up being some new element/character added to the story though.

And Price should realize that God, by common definition, exists outside time in eternity thus having a lot of power that lasts like forever.  But Price being a human, exists inside time by definition, and has 50 to 100 years max and only a very few of them at the top of the totem poll so what is the point in accruing power just to lose it so quickly in the end?  (Guess I don't make a very good megalomaniac because being one doesn't seem the logical choice to maximize your life to me).

So now we have the Chinese, who in real life are indeed buying up a lot of Africa in a post-colonial era meets modern economic colonialism, involved in the Congo in this show .. or Whiterose is at least?

OT: For those who didn't catch the Hacking Robot post-show after this episode there was a clip by the Whiterose actor defining his character which was kind of a reveal for me because I'm kind of slow on the uptake maybe.  I mentioned what he said there in that thread if anyone wants to join that discussion.

Edited by green
  • Love 5

The last scene was gorgeously framed and executed (and timed with the crosswalk sign-awesome). I appreciate the way they've slowed down some to flesh-out characters and how they take risks with different things such as our "relationship" with Elliot. He even directly asked us for help this week. I may have issues occasionally with the story or pacing, but I'm very thankful to have a show doing these things on my tv.

ETA: I wonder about the signs next to both Angela and Elliot on the subway. Next to each of them was a different post ad for the same product/service. "Phase" was very large, maybe the product name (and there were 2 of them...) and the tagline was something similar to "for the discerning listener." Wonder what it all means.

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, green said:

It was something like 92nd Street (or Ave?) and didn't catch the cross streets around it.  I have no idea what type of neighborhood that is.  Anyone know NYC enough to say?

I think the address was 92 East 82nd street.  It's the upper east side, close to Park Avenue, a pretty upscale neighborhood. 

• Love 4

My first thought too was that the phone was in the house of Scott, the husband of the woman Tyrell murdered. That address would certainly be familiar to her security chief. I can see Scott tormenting Tyrell's wife for revenge purposes, perhaps also holding Tyrell prisoner.

China is certainly using the hack to take over the world. Soon the world's "room" will all be under the sway of Whiterose--and that's one of the rooms where Price isn't #1.

• Love 4

Those last five minutes have to have been the most thrilling TV I've seen in years.

At the end Dom has a lot of blood on her, that clearly isn't hers. I'm wondering if Darlene is dead. It actually looked like she took a bullet to the head. In every other show I'd suspect Cisco. He is afterall a rather minor character, even though we like him. But this is Mr. Robot and I could see the writers doing this. Especially since Darlene had that emotional speach about her messed up childhood and how much she loves and admires her borther this episode.

They might even both be dead and the only one who made it out alive was Dom, who was the only one who had ducked before the guy started shooting. It would be quite a loss for the show, but it would be a bold move.

Edit: Yeah, after watching a few more times: They both dead. There was blood spray from both their heads. That's a bummer.

Only way they could have survived is if that weren't Darlene and Cisco, but that would be a fakeout I couldn't forgive. It was a woman with Darlene's hair color and haircut and a man with a bright red baseball cap, sitting where Darlene and Cisco had been sitting just one scene before.

6 hours ago, Kalliste said:

Darlene's story was pretty creepy. She doesn't consider that the woman that kidnapped her might not have been the best parent either? "But she gave me a choice and a princess bed so she must be awesome!" my first thoughts were that she was a human trafficker.

She pretty clearly told this story from her 4 year old perspective. Sure now she knows that this wouldn't have ended well, but as a child her life was so fucked up, that she actully liked it there.

Also sounds more like she was a crazy old lady who had lost somebody, rather than a human trafficer.

Edited by Miles
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, Mr. R0b0t said:

Very suspenseful episode indeed.  Anyone spot anything in the apartment when Elliot asked us to take a looksee?  

I think something may be behind the radiator. I have to double check but I think something either fell or was hidden back there in season 1.

1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

I think the address was 92 East 82nd street.  It's the upper east side, close to Park Avenue, a pretty upscale neighborhood. 

Knowles said they had a 2 bedroom in Chelsea, would that be considered Chelsea? I do think the call was traced back to the house, which may be why Elliot was free to meet Angela alone. Bodyguard guy may have felt comfortable enough to go back to the house without Elliot.

Other annoying tidbits; Joanna dress in all black to met Elliot when she usually wears white or pastels and I'm pretty sure that MAC lipstick she put on was Lady Danger. 

From the back of their heads it looked like Dark Army dude and Darlene were the ones meeting Angela in the subway, but I  can't see how Darlene left Cisco that fast.  I do think Cisco will end up being the only casualty at that diner shoot out  other than the assassins, of course.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Milaxx said:

Knowles said they had a 2 bedroom in Chelsea, would that be considered Chelsea? I do think the call was traced back to the house, which may be why Elliot was free to meet Angela alone. Bodyguard guy may have felt comfortable enough to go back to the house without Elliot.

No, that's not Chelsea, that's the upper east side; Chelsea is further downtown and on the west side. 

Not sure Darlene and Cisco are both dead but I'm sure one of them is.  If you want to know how I know, then send me a PM, since I don't want to spoil anybody.

Edited by Neurochick

She pretty clearly told this story from her 4 year old perspective. Sure now she knows that this wouldn't have ended well, but as a child her life was so fucked up, that she actully liked it there.

She mentioned she was 5 when this happened.  Two weeks ago she said she was 4 during the E Corp trial and I assumed that meant her father was dead by then.  But here, she talks about going out with her parents when she was 5.  Maybe Darlene is an unreliable narrator like Elliot.

I can live without Cisco and I hope it's not Darlene although I don't think Darlene is going to survive in the long run.  I can see the point about flipping expectations and having Cisco be the one who survives.  But I'll take Darlene any day of the week.

Dom keeps getting caught up in a lot of these shootouts, doesn't she?  I did like the long shot they used for it.  I wonder if next week's episode will start with her actual conversation with Darlene and Cisco.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, benteen said:

She mentioned she was 5 when this happened.  Two weeks ago she said she was 4 during the E Corp trial and I assumed that meant her father was dead by then.  But here, she talks about going out with her parents when she was 5.  Maybe Darlene is an unreliable narrator too.

Yes, I got the age wrong. I didn't go back and check. Point was that she wasn't telling the story with thee benefit of hindsight, but from the perspective she saw it from at the time.

11 minutes ago, benteen said:

I wonder if next week's episode will start with her actual conversation with Darlene and Cisco.

Not sure if it will start that way. Mr. Robot seems awfully fond to start with something totally unrelated. But I think we'll see that scene from inside the diner, at some point during the next episode.

What's interesting is that Dom actually grabs Darlene by the arm, which she just swats away. That makes it seem like they know each other, because I doubt Dom would just grab somebody she didn't know, unless she was going to arrest that person, and if she was going for an arrest, she wouldn't just let go.

There also is that theory out there that the person who proposed to Dom was Darlene...

Edited by Miles
  • Love 1

What's interesting is that Dom actually grabs Darlene by the arm, which she just swats away. That makes it seem like they know each other, because I doubt Dom would just grab somebody she didn't know, unless she was going to arrest that person, and if she was going for an arrest, she wouldn't just let go.

Actually what we've seen of Dom, she oversteps boundaries on pretty much every occasion. Speaking out of turn in the meeting with the Chinese ministers, sneaking into WhiteRose's room during the party, barging into Angela's apartment, arresting Cisco without evidence, etc. So in the urgency of the moment where she knows the DA probably has some trace on Cisco, I could see her trying to make some sort of quick human connection with Darlene that Darlene would, of course, swat away. 

I hope she has no connection to Elliot or his social circle because a group of kids from New Jersey somehow being plugged into every level of a worldwide conspiracy is too much.  

• Love 3

Also pretty sure that it was Cisco who proposed to Darlene. In 1.4 when Dark Army backed out of helping them, Darlene went find Cisco. He yells at her something along the lines of,"forgive me for wanting to spend the rest of my life with you!" Then again we also have the red herring of that rich guy on the balcony.

Edited by Milaxx
31 minutes ago, loki567 said:

I hope she has no connection to Elliot or his social circle because a group of kids from New Jersey somehow being plugged into every level of a worldwide conspiracy is too much.  

I hope she has no connection, too. But it's not like it would be completely out of the left field. Dom is from New Jersey and her township could be (there are a few washington townships, so it's not quite clear) right next to the one where Elliot and Darlene grew up.

Even if Dom does not know anybody from this group, I think it's a save bet that the accident at the plant that killed Elliot/Darlene's dad and Angela's mom, also made a big change in her life, maybe even killed a loved one.

26 minutes ago, Milaxx said:

Also pretty sure that it was Cisco who proposed to Darlene. In 1.4 when Dark Army backed out of helping them, Darlene went find Cisco. He yells at her something along the lines of,"forgive me for wanting to spend the rest of my life with you!" Then again we also have the red herring of that rich guy on the balcony.

I was talking about the person who proposed to Dom. She talked about it with white rose in man form (forgot his name). She said somebody (and she didn't specify the gender, even went so far to use the pronoun "they") proposed to her, but instead of giving an answer she fled out of the bathroom window and joined the FBI the next day.

Edited by Miles
  • Love 2

Like Sarah, I too am suspicious of Price's speech. He's far too smart and clever to subscribe to standard megalomania.

Aren't fSociety still inside the FBI, via the femtocell hack? And Angela knows this. Why not just have Darlene and the other wipe whatever evidence they have on fSociety/Angela and solve her (Angela's) problems that way?

Perhaps it's my old small screen tv and eyeglasses that really need replacing, but I did not see anyone's head explosde. The restaurant looked so far back in the background during that shoot em scene that I couldn't make out a thing. Or did I nod out there for a moment? Miles, how did you see anyone's head explode. Did I miss a closer viewing of the restaurant or do you just have really good eyesight?

Also glad to hear that I'm not the only one who didn't recognize that address. During that the scene changed to one of the FBI breaking into an apt - Cisco's? Whose apt was that? I got the impression that that's the apt in question. And when the bodyguard (yeah, just how does she have a bodyguard, why & how is she paying him? or what's in it for him if he's doing it for free?) recognized the address I wondered if he was an FBI plant or a plant gone to the otherside. Very confusing.

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, kat165 said:

Perhaps it's my old small screen tv and eyeglasses that really need replacing, but I did not see anyone's head explosde. The restaurant looked so far back in the background during that shoot em scene that I couldn't make out a thing. Or did I nod out there for a moment? Miles, how did you see anyone's head explode. Did I miss a closer viewing of the restaurant or do you just have really good eyesight?

My question also. Perhaps Miles freeze-framed and enlarged. I have big-screen HD but poor eyesight. I could barely make out "Lupes" on the window. At Comic-Con the cast talked about some super-great crane shot they did toward the end of shooting. I guess this was it.

26 minutes ago, kat165 said:

At least Cisco's head gets vaporised, from the first few bullets. For Darlene it also looks like something is happening in that moment but it could just be her hair. However there is an obvious blood splatter on Darlene's side after the glass has already fallen down and she has already half ducked, so maybe she just got shot in the shoulder or something.

I'm watching on a computer screen, so pretty close up and watched the scene like 10 times now.  It's actually not well visible in freeze frame, since the smoke and debris abscures it somewhat, but in motion it's easy to see, once you are looking for it, since it's really over the top blood splatter.

• Love 4

Thank you, Miles! Not that I'm all that interested in gore but I am anxious to know what happened. I can't rely on this show to pick up next wk where this wk left off. Good spotting! Did you watch the ep via USA Network website or via other means?

Never mind my means. ;) I'm not in north america, so...

Here are some screenshots. But like I said, it's not as visible as it would be in motion: https://imgur.com/a/o47zX

In the first few you can see the red cloud forming around Cisco's head and in the last few you can see a red cloud around where Darlene had ducked.

• Love 4

One thing that really bothers me with the Dark Army guys is that they commit suicide rather then be captured.  First in the shoot out in China and then in this epidode at the diner. 

There is absolutely no indication that this group is comprised of religious fanatics who believe that martyrdom will get them into paradise.  So I find it hard to believe they just blow themselves up without hesitation.   They seem the type to "believe" that they only live once period so why the absolute 100% loyalty to the end? 

Yeah their boss might do nasty things to them if they were caught and he had operatives within the FBI or whatever.  But they would at least have a sliver of a chance as opposed to going kaboom.  Maybe their families would be in danger though.  Anyway I'd still like to know how/why these guys act like self-exploding robots rather than try and find a way to live.

• Love 3

Miles, gotcha. No more questions. Thanks for the pics. Still hard to see. But in one shot it looks like there's a head and then theres not, just mist. Yikes. That must be Cisco?

Good question, green.

I find it hard to believe that Dom's now escaped drying 2 bloodbaths.

7 minutes ago, Miles said:

Never mind my means. ;) I'm not in north america, so...

Here are some screenshots. But like I said, it's not as visible as it would be in motion: https://imgur.com/a/o47zX

In the first few you can see the red cloud forming around Cisco's head and in the last few you can see a red cloud around where Darlene had ducked.

Thanks for the stills.  I honestly can't see anyone's head blowing up even after using a magnifying glass.  The person seated on the left (Darlene) has reddish hair.  I see it flying around as she ducks down.  I don't see any blood at all from her side.  I can't really see Cisco's head going kaboom either.  I just see a red cap that then disappears below the window sill.

They obviously filmed it that way to make it confusing to tell complete with a red-colored cap.  If one of them got shot my money is on Cisco.  I definitely could tell it was Darlene's hair flying up and not blood on her side of the table.  Well I think I could tell.  Guess I'll find out next week.

Wait, I said red hair was seated.  That would be Dom then.  Did she and Darlene switch positions and it was Darlene standing?  Or was Darlene already gone.  Definitely red hair on the left side and that is Dom.  (I am sooooo confused).

Like I said it isn't at all well visible without motion.
 I'll try to get some better quality but I'm not sure if that will help anything. I can only recommend to watch that scene again close up.

This is after Dom had already dived under the table. So on the left is Darlene. I guess her hair looks red because of the light of the neon sign.

Edited by Miles
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, SailorGirl said:

So the E Corp CEO has a God complex . . . shocker to no one. And that always ends so well. . . .

Interesting that Price seems to accuse Trump of the same a few minutes earlier. Almost like they are cut from the same cloth.

7 hours ago, morgankobi said:

....ETA: I wonder about the signs next to both Angela and Elliot on the subway. Next to each of them was a different post ad for the same product/service. "Phase" was very large, maybe the product name (and there were 2 of them...) and the tagline was something similar to "for the discerning listener." Wonder what it all means.

I took it to mean Phase 2 is Elliot, which isn't new info, just a little reinforcement of that via set dressing.

1 hour ago, kat165 said:

Perhaps it's my old small screen tv and eyeglasses that really need replacing, but I did not see anyone's head explosde. The restaurant looked so far back in the background during that shoot em scene that I couldn't make out a thing. Or did I nod out there for a moment? Miles, how did you see anyone's head explode. Did I miss a closer viewing of the restaurant or do you just have really good eyesight?...

I was watching on my iPad Mini, which is fine in a darkened room, but it wasn't, so if I want to, I can still pretend either it wasn't Darlene and Cisco at all (they had left--unlikely), or it was Koolaid exploding over their heads. Heh.

Wait I know what happened at the diner now.  I figured it out!

There was a second shooter on the nearby grassy knoll.  Then Kevin Costner arrived and solved the whole thing and ... uh ... anyone have Krista's phone number?   I think this show is driving me crazy.

• Love 6

Isn't White Rose part of the Dark Army? And if the Dark Army potected Elliot in prison (via Leon) why are they now, or rumored to be, eliminating everyone involved in the hack? Or eliminating some, but not all? We still don't know if the chubby guy and the Truman/Thurston girl - sorry, I cannot remember either of their names (Darlene mentioned both of them in the beginning of the ep and how both seemed to have disappeared) have been killed. How can there be a Stage/Phase 2 if half the players are disposed of?

Edited by kat165
  • Love 1

White Rose is the leader of the dark army. The theory is that the dark army is eliminating people who the FBI gets to close to (or the FBI themselfs).

At least the attack in china seemed to have been dark army, bolstered by the fact that Dom was spared, because White Rose saw something in her, during their talk. This is the exact same MO, so it would seem it's also dark army. Not sure if White Rose specifically signed off on this one though. There might be a standing order to kill anybody the FBI gets to close to. I don't think White Rose would want to make an enemy out of Elliot.

It could ofcourse be a complete misdirect, but that seems unlikely at this point.

Edited by Miles
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, kat165 said:

Isn't White Rose part of the Dark Army? And if the Dark Army potected Elliot in prison (via Leon) why are they now, or rumored to be, eliminating everyone involved in the hack? Or eliminating some, but not all? We still don't know if the chubby guy and the Truman/Thurston girl - sorry, I cannot remember either of their names (Darlene mentioned both of them in the beginning of the ep and how both seemed to have disappeared) have been killed. How can there be a Stage/Phase 2 if half the players are disposed of?

Didn't we see Trenton and Mobley on the subway in this episode? Or is that just supposed to be a flash back?

Ah, thanks, Miles. I should have realized that. Kind of interesting that White Rose would protect Dom when she's FBI and she's the one who has been going after the 5/9 hackers. Very game like, seemingly protecting both sides.

And why would WR not want to make an enemy of Elliot? Unless he's completey fooled by the Mr. Robot personality. Elliot as himself does not seem very valuable and/or threatening. Without Mr. Robot he has no direction. Although Elliot getting himself thrown in jail could possibly be seen as a strategic/clever move. For a completely different reason from the his actual reason of not feeding Mr. Robot rather than hiding out from the hack.

Shapeshifter, hi! And I don't recall seeing either one of them this ep. But that doesn't mean they weren' there! I'm going to watch again as soon as it comes out on demand cause I think I must have missed quite a bit. I haven't rewatched an ep in awhile because frankly, a lot of it has been somewhat boring.

That is certainly a lot better than my shit quality. However, there was a red cloud where Darlene sat a few seconds later, after all the glass had already fallen down, which it hadn't here yet. Can you get slow motion of that as well?

44 minutes ago, kat165 said:

And why would WR not want to make an enemy of Elliot? Unless he's completey fooled by the Mr. Robot personality. Elliot as himself does not seem very valuable and/or threatening. Without Mr. Robot he has no direction. Although Elliot getting himself thrown in jail could possibly be seen as a strategic/clever move. For a completely different reason from the his actual reason of not feeding Mr. Robot rather than hiding out from the hack.

As far as White Rose knows, Elliot knows a lot of her plans, because they were actually his ideas. Plus WR knows elliot is a "master" hacker. It would be foolish to kill his sister and not kill him at the same time. He could blow up the whole operation.

Now Elliot and Darlene were keeping the fact that they were siblings on the DL, but I'm pretty sure somebody with WR's resources would have discovered that fact. It's not like any of them changed their last name.

Edited by Miles
  • Love 2

I thought it was pretty much a given that Cisco died and Darlene lived. The blood on Dom could actually be ketchup. I also agree that whiteRose eliminates anyone who could lead FBI back to her. I think Mr.Robot is in cahoots with Whiterose to take down the US economy, hence why Elliot is safe for now. I think that's what Mr.Robot has been hiding from Elliot and why he disappeared after Tyrell contacted him in the computer store and exposed his lie. I also think Scott Knowles has Tyrell. Upper East side would be a place he would live, he doesn't like Tyrell. The bodyguard drives the Wellecks everywhere so he would recognize that address.

Edited by Milaxx
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, Miles said:

That is certainly a lot better than my shit quality. However, there was a red cloud where Darlene sat a few seconds later, after all the glass had already fallen down, which it hadn't here yet. Can you get slow motion of that as well?

I see it. There are 2 cloud burst. The bigger one where Cisco was and then a smaller one in front of Darlene. It also looks like a heinz ketchup bottle was in the same spot as the 2nd burst, so yeah, I think Dom is wearing ketchup, not blood. On second look does Cisco duck under the table and the person behind him get shot?

I thought it was pretty much a given that Cisco died and Darlene lived. The blood on Dom could actually be blood. I also agree that whiteRose eliminates anyone who could lead FBI back to her. I think Mr.Robot is in cahoots with Whiterose to take down the US economy, hence why Elliot is safe for now. I think that's what Mr.Robot has been hiding from Elliot and why he disappeared after Tyrell contacted him in the computer store and exposed his lie. I also think Scott Knowles has Tyrell. Upper East side would be a place he would live, he doesn't like Tyrell. The bodyguard drives the Wellecks everywhere so he would recognize that address.

Edited by Milaxx
6 minutes ago, Milaxx said:

I see it. There are 2 cloud burst. The bigger one where Cisco was and then a smaller one in front of Darlene. It also looks like a heinz ketchup bottle was in the same spot as the 2nd burst, so yeah, I think Dom is wearing ketchup, not blood. On second look does Cisco duck under the table and the person behind him get shot?

Again, the one I'm talking about is quite a few seconds after this gif ends, after the glass window has already shattered, which it hasn't here yet. I can see the ketchup bottle shattering, too. But that's not what I was talking about.

And no. Cisco's head is mist.

Edited by Miles

I would very much miss Darlene if she died.  I hope she's okay.

Are we going to talk about that kiss??  Elliot "Hates-to-be-touched" Alderson initiates both a hug AND a kiss.  That was a long time coming.  I was happy he could finally act on his love for Angela, even if it took (possibly) losing her to get him to do it.

• Love 5