Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: Week 6, Night 2

• Start Topic

As for the finale, the BiP franchise may have created a monster since this show was initially supposed to be about casual hook-ups (long live Bachelor Pad where 'I'm developing feelings for you' was justifiably displaced by pure animal lust) but it was probably inevitable that Bachelor/ette alumni would bow to their Skinnerian training and view it as a quest to make a commitment ie carving out their own little Bachelor/ette season with greatly reduced competition.  Three (successful) proposals is the equivalent of getting 7-7-7 on the first pull of a slot machine at the Las Vegas airport - it's all downhill from there for Messrs Fleiss, Harrison et al.

I just wasn't able to watch and post this season but I scanned the previous episode threads as I binged-watched and regretted my inability to participate but a few words on the finale couples.

I still don't think much of Nick but there was, admittedly, a big goose egg in the chemistry column with Jen.  His loss.  They could barely muster eye contact on dates or especially on the beach platform.  Jen is W I F E   M A T E R I A L and it's incredible that she cycled through two shows in such an understated fashion, possibly because she avoided the pushy/desperate/manic behavior of the others.  But she has incredible bone structure, that Mona Lisa smile, a stonking bod and her body language (a trait undervalued by many) is a Shakespearean sonnet of its own.  Shame on red-blooded males living within a 50- or 100-mile radius of her.

Sorry to crash the Carly-Evan party but they are dorks.  Perhaps this makes them well-suited but the speeches were as cringeworthy as the awkward kisses, embraces, etc.  Not everyone is graceful but one might think that after XYZ period of time as a stage performer Carly might have developed some presence.  I have a feeling both are big traffickers in treacly 'inspirational' quotes chain-posted to social media.

'Grace' looked as solidly convinced they were in love as an altophobic looks convinced that a bungee jump from a bridge is a good idea. Lace's ventriloquist-like speech pattern in which her lower jaw doesn't move makes every sentence.  sound.  very.  flat.  and.  unemotional.  I actually thought she was intriguing during her Bachelor flameout but, as this BIP season demonstrated, take away the booze and she's a bit of a dial tone.  Grant's a nice enough bloke but he displayed more emotion during the rough patches than he did on Proposal Day.

If Andi was a water well ie very deep and dark with a very narrow emotional access point then Amanda is, fittingly, a wading pool, shallow and open to all.  I'm not surprised Josh pursued Amanda but it is surprising that he went for such a Betty/Veronica contrast.  If Amanda and Josh had a deep conversation it must have landed on the editing room floor because their 'love' appears to be predicated strictly on sucking face.  If that's their criteria then so be it.

Overall, the show had some renewed appeal once Clingy Clare banished herself from proceedings but, as events proved, that only meant Ashley I would shoehorn herself (with the willing help of the producers who relied on her as filler) into every possible scenario.

The producers seem helpless against the psychological phenomena known as the primacy and recency effects ie we tend to remember what happened first and what happened last.  Keen-eyed viewers will note that the solid couples generally form early and the herd mentality ensures that their peers will warn off the newcomers.  To be fair, Josh was a newcomer but he was a man on a mission.  The late arrivals do their level best but the odds against them are long.

Perhaps they might take a page from some Big Brother seasons overseas and establish two 'houses,' allowing bonds to form in each before combining the two and hoping for chaos, romantic sparks, jealousy etc.

Edited by Rainsong
  • Love 2
On 07/09/2016 at 2:01 AM, Armchair Critic said:

I bet Andi is gagging right now.

When did this show start pushing for proposals? This used to to be just a fun summer romp. Why couldn't Nick just tell Jennifer he wanted to date her more and see what happens?

(and who is the Southern gent mentioned above whose mother tells them to take it slow?)

Proposals. They were just dating.

On 13/10/2016 at 4:12 PM, Rainsong said:

As for the finale, the BiP franchise may have created a monster since this show was initially supposed to be about casual hook-ups (long live Bachelor Pad where 'I'm developing feelings for you' was justifiably displaced by pure animal lust) but it was probably inevitable that Bachelor/ette alumni would bow to their Skinnerian training and view it as a quest to make a commitment ie carving out their own little Bachelor/ette season with greatly reduced competition.  Three (successful) proposals is the equivalent of getting 7-7-7 on the first pull of a slot machine at the Las Vegas airport - it's all downhill from there for Messrs Fleiss, Harrison et al.

I just wasn't able to watch and post this season but I scanned the previous episode threads as I binged-watched and regretted my inability to participate but a few words on the finale couples.

I still don't think much of Nick but there was, admittedly, a big goose egg in the chemistry column with Jen.  His loss.  They could barely muster eye contact on dates or especially on the beach platform.  Jen is W I F E   M A T E R I A L and it's incredible that she cycled through two shows in such an understated fashion, possibly because she avoided the pushy/desperate/manic behavior of the others.  But she has incredible bone structure, that Mona Lisa smile, a stonking bod and her body language (a trait undervalued by many) is a Shakespearean sonnet of its own.  Shame on red-blooded males living within a 50- or 100-mile radius of her.

Sorry to crash the Carly-Evan party but they are dorks.  Perhaps this makes them well-suited but the speeches were as cringeworthy as the awkward kisses, embraces, etc.  Not everyone is graceful but one might think that after XYZ period of time as a stage performer Carly might have developed some presence.  I have a feeling both are big traffickers in treacly 'inspirational' quotes chain-posted to social media.

'Grace' looked as solidly convinced they were in love as an altophobic looks convinced that a bungee jump from a bridge is a good idea. Lace's ventriloquist-like speech pattern in which her lower jaw doesn't move makes every sentence.  sound.  very.  flat.  and.  unemotional.  I actually thought she was intriguing during her Bachelor flameout but, as this BIP season demonstrated, take away the booze and she's a bit of a dial tone.  Grant's a nice enough bloke but he displayed more emotion during the rough patches than he did on Proposal Day.

If Andi was a water well ie very deep and dark with a very narrow emotional access point then Amanda is, fittingly, a wading pool, shallow and open to all.  I'm not surprised Josh pursued Amanda but it is surprising that he went for such a Betty/Veronica contrast.  If Amanda and Josh had a deep conversation it must have landed on the editing room floor because their 'love' appears to be predicated strictly on sucking face.  If that's their criteria then so be it.

Overall, the show had some renewed appeal once Clingy Clare banished herself from proceedings but, as events proved, that only meant Ashley I would shoehorn herself (with the willing help of the producers who relied on her as filler) into every possible scenario.

The producers seem helpless against the psychological phenomena known as the primacy and recency effects ie we tend to remember what happened first and what happened last.  Keen-eyed viewers will note that the solid couples generally form early and the herd mentality ensures that their peers will warn off the newcomers.  To be fair, Josh was a newcomer but he was a man on a mission.  The late arrivals do their level best but the odds against them are long.

Perhaps they might take a page from some Big Brother seasons overseas and establish two 'houses,' allowing bonds to form in each before combining the two and hoping for chaos, romantic sparks, jealousy etc.

If the chemistry wasn't their why push for s proposal that wasn't going to happen why do that to herself? 

She is elegant. I don't know snout her personality but if she's that nicevkf a person she will find her prince charming in no time. 

The speeches were so fake. They were as cringe worthy as some of the speeches in AMC tv show. Cheese balls!

On 08/09/2016 at 5:40 AM, chocolatine said:

Oh, that makes sense. I just know that some ridiculous celebrities (like Gwen Stefani) bleach their young children's hair, and Amanda seems like the kind of person who'd think that that would be a good idea.

She's bleeches their hair. For real?

On 07/09/2016 at 2:58 PM, nlkm9 said:

I agree with you on the show format---and lets face it, the folks who come in early basically get to form a relationship, so a lot of the couples are sort of producer picked--the folks who come on later have their choice of maybe 1 or 2 people? and LOL yep a baby will be next. bachelor Pad was definitely more entertaining:)

he does really seem to care for her but yeah, her stats are terrible....and as young as her kids are, 2 dating shows in less than a year...but yet she really seems like such a sweet girl, I cant help but like her and root for her, there are so many mean girls on this franchise but she is not one of them.

Maybe Nick wanted to get a magazine deal that's why he wanted to stay till the end. Its a little unfair on Jen. 

The show is a bit too serious for myiking I prefer Bachelor Pad its more fun!