Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: For Those About to Rock

• Start Topic

The teams fly to Nova Scotia.

I expected Jill and Emmett to win and the lowest distance 5k since they had home team advantage. 

Joel and Ashley didn't flip out as much this u-turn which is odd since Steph and Kristen they had a deal with. Unlike Emmett and Jill. 

The sisters and Joel/Ashley weren't carrying the logs like the previous teams. They just dragged it on the grass. The rules should have clarified they had to carry it. 

Thoughts that popped into my mind this episode.

1. I want to fire a cannon!

2. Go back for the sneaker! GO BACK for the sneaker !!!

3. Emmett: your so called called "weak" of Frankie and Amy are not so weak. Don't be so quick to blow them off. 

4. I want it hear more of the choir at the pit stop. 

5. Steph and Kristen continue to rock!

6. I want Emmet to go away.

So a team can use the U-Turn picture more than once? Boo...!! Not liking it.

I rescind my praise to Joel since he did not even carry the log while the women before him did. And Joel and Ashley and Rita and Yvette should get DQ. They did not perform Farmer's Walk.

Cannoneer Bombardier? What a coincidence.

I doubt dragging (or carrying 1 at a time) was all that much of an advantage compared to carrying it, so that's probably why there weren't any penalties. The task is to get those logs around the course twice each. Ideally you would carry, but the rules were likely bent a bit for the sake of the contestants. 

Glad to see Cape Breton showed off like that. Haven't talked to mom about the ep (She grew up in Donkin and still has family out there), but it was a great (and exhausting) leg. Made me want to go to Louisburg again, and I haven't been there in 20+ years. 

And I agree, I wanted to hear more of the Men of the Deep. Hopefully they'll have a special video or something on the website. Mom has coal miners in her family (including my grandfather) and some of them were in the Men of the Deep years ago, so we often pause and listen when they show up on TV.

Now, I wonder how Jill? will get a new shoe. I guess it will depend on how they go to Saint John. Walmart would be the easiest/quickest spots to get a cheap pair of sneakers on the race (assuming they are allowed to do an unofficial pit stop like that). If they are driving to Saint John (~8 hour drive from Cape Breton), then she could stop in Sydney (Walmart, Sports Chek, misc other stores), Antigonish (Walmart right off the highway), Truro (Walmart more out of the way), Moncton (wide variety of stores, but may be hard to get to from the highway if you don't know to get off at Mapleton for that shopping district), and Saint John itself.  

If the racers are bused to SJ from Sydney (like Halifax to Saint John's in a previous race), then she's SOL unless she spots a shoe store on the race route in SJ. I wasn't paying attention to the "Next time..." scenes to realize where they are and what they are doing to see if she might have a shopping chance or not. 

And seeing them fly into Sydney airport made me realize why they tend to save the Maritime legs for the end of the race... Most of the airports out here (other than Halifax, SJs and Moncton) are only served by those Bombardier puddle jumpers 1 or 2 times a day. So unless they go to Halifax, the planes don't have enough capacity for the teams + crew in the early race legs.

• Love 1

I wonder if Jill could get a pair of shoes while at the pit stop. Or maybe she has another pair in her bag. We'll probably already see her in new shows at the start of the next leg.

Jill is from New Glasgow. If they are driving themselves to Saint John, she'll be going by her home town. So if anyone needs to find a shoe store in the region, I'm sure she could find one. 

Of course the wrinkle to that is finding a place to get said cheap pair of shoes (while the race is running at that). As I pointed out above, she probably knows Antigonish and Truro well enough to find Walmart in either place. Sydney has options as well (as long as the stores are open when they go through). Moncton has the most options, and is likely another place she remembers well enough not to get lost around.

So she does have options to find a new pair of shoes if they are driving.

If the teams are driven to Saint John instead, then stopping along the way for new shoes wouldn't be likely. If they are downtown (sorry uptown) Saint John they can probably find something pretty quick, but not necessarily too cheap (still a pair of flipflops or sandals would probably be all she'd need).

Flying to SJ isn't out of the question; there are 4 flights from Halifax a day; but same issues apply. In that case she could probably get flipflops at an airport somewhere at least. 

2 hours ago, piequinn35 said:

The lesbians should have u-turned the bb team, when they did not, I knew it that they will beat them for 1st place :P

I agree - they U-turned Joel and Ashley more for personal reasons than for playing the game as it is always wise to U-turn the team that is right behind you ! 

I like Joel and Ashley and want them to win ! If not then team fire and ice aka mom and daughter !! The other two teams i just do not like - they annoy me ! Especially as Jill and Emmett are serial reality TV contestants !

That was probably one of the most gruelling legs I have seen on any TAR! Great job to all the racers! Would like to see an Emmett and Jillian win but would be happy with any except Joel and Ashley. Of course with my luck they will be the ones to win :(Cannot wait until next week when they are in my hometown Saint John!

I actually do not care for any of the teams left and, therefore, do not care who wins. I guess the softball players bug me the least, but not by much and it probably depends on the editing that week. 

I enjoyed the Men of the Deep and wished they had edited more of them into the show. Hopefully there will be a web extra like someone suggested above. 

• Love 1

Did the episode feel... short? Maybe I just wasn't paying attention, but aside from the Detour it felt like the tasks just flew by. 

I never thought I'd say this, but after this episode I'm seriously thinking Frankie/Amy are the winners. The other teams came off really bad when they explicitly said "Frankie/Amy are weak, they can't do anything, we'll drag them to the finale and beat them". That was blatantly setting up for them getting their asses kicked. At the very least Frankie/Amy will get second place behind Steph/Kristen, but Frankie's final confessional made me think they're taking it home. This whole thing reminds me so much of the Sweet Scientists.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, babydollbrat said:

That was probably one of the most gruelling legs I have seen on any TAR! Great job to all the racers! Would like to see an Emmett and Jillian win but would be happy with any except Joel and Ashley. Of course with my luck they will be the ones to win :(Cannot wait until next week when they are in my hometown Saint John!

Especially grueling for the twins who had to do the rescue twice, the post office speed bump and both roadblocks, along with the gun powder kegs. 

I don't have a favourite to win, but I also do not care for Joel & Ashley, so I hope it's not them.  They didn't bother me at first, but over time something about them is starting to bug me.

I like the other 3 teams pretty much equally and don't care who wins, but it would be cool if the mother/daughter team ended up beating the 2 stronger teams. 

I never saw Jillian/Emmett on Big Brother Canada, so this is the first I've seen them, and though I see they are not popular with a lot of folks, I don't find them any worse than any other team.

• Love 1

I really did not get at all why the girls would not have u-turned Jill and Emmett, they are the hardest competition.  And yes it didn't slow them last time, but who knows how it would have worked this time, esp making Emmett dance would have been hard for him..  I think the producers want Jill and Emmett in the finale so that had something to do with it,

I'm assuming they wanted to guarantee (as much as a U-Turn can) that a team other than themselves would be eliminated.  They probably figured that J & E would survive the U-Turn since they were so close so they U-Turned a team at the back of the pack to ensure that someone went home.

22 hours ago, Blackie said:

I really did not get at all why the girls would not have u-turned Jill and Emmett, they are the hardest competition.  And yes it didn't slow them last time, but who knows how it would have worked this time, esp making Emmett dance would have been hard for him..  I think the producers want Jill and Emmett in the finale so that had something to do with it,

I'm not sure, but I don't think they can U-turn the same team a second time.

• Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 4:14 PM, Xazeal said:

Did the episode feel... short? Maybe I just wasn't paying attention, but aside from the Detour it felt like the tasks just flew by. 

I never thought I'd say this, but after this episode I'm seriously thinking Frankie/Amy are the winners. The other teams came off really bad when they explicitly said "Frankie/Amy are weak, they can't do anything, we'll drag them to the finale and beat them". That was blatantly setting up for them getting their asses kicked. At the very least Frankie/Amy will get second place behind Steph/Kristen, but Frankie's final confessional made me think they're taking it home. This whole thing reminds me so much of the Sweet Scientists.

If Frankie and Amy are the winners, then this really will be the last season I watch.  I'm still annoyed by the useless Tims team that won their season after being in the bottom multiple times.  I hate it when useless teams win.

Weird W-Turn strategy, of course: it's an elim leg, there's a team facing a Speed Bump, so at the head of the pack it makes most sense either not to U-Turn and let the teams at the rear earn their right to U-Turn Rita & Yvette, or take a shot at the leg win by U-Turning whoever's right behind you. You're not going to dictate who ends up in the F3 by your choice, and trying to assist a so-called "weaker" team to the end has a good chance of backfiring. (And I definitely got some Frankie/Amy foreshadowing in some of the edits.)

To some extent, though perhaps that's because it was a relatively short leg with relatively similar "move heavy stuff" tasks at the end. I think we're more used to extra scenes of driving (or getting lost) during self-navigation legs, and not seeing that was surprising during a leg with a driving-related promo. Then again, Cape Breton Island doesn't have that many major roads.

And yet another leg without a Road Block, which continues to help Jillian out: I'm not going to criticise her performance on what was a highly physical set of tasks, but she's certainly benefitted from not having to work on her own where she's more prone to mistakes or following other racers.

• Love 1

Although I have no doubt that that caber was extremely heavy, I still had to laugh when someone expressed awe at how big it was. My dear, you have clearly never seen a real caber toss competition, because that was the tiniest twig of a caber I've ever seen. There is no way any of these people would have been able to even pick a standard one up, let alone toss it. Actually flipping it would be right out. Still, though, I always thought it would be cool to toss one, so knowing that they do exist in more manageable sizes (I guess even the real heavyweight champs have to start somewhere) gives me at least a glimmer of hope.

And I gotta say, kudos to the teams that made it through the dancing. Highland dancing is no joke. And although the judge wasn't particularly picky about technique, I can vouch for the stamina that's called for just to do it, regardless of how well or poorly you actually perform the steps. I've sort of half-assed a class now and then due to injury or just being too tired or whatever, and it's still exhausting. This was definitely one of the most physically gruelling legs I've ever seen.

• Love 1

I don't understand how Joel/Ashley and Rita/Yvette ended up so far behind the 3 lead teams.  Even before the longer roablock (and the twins' speed bump) we never saw all 5 teams together, and  they all flew from Cuba together. Maybe the Coast Guard Rescue was only 3 teams at a time, but they still should have arrived there together.  Did I miss something?