Type keyword(s) to search

Antiques Roadshow (US) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Or maybe too proud to admit on public TV that they'd be selling the stuff next week to continue to live in those tony neighborhoods?

I liked the Newport episodes.  It was like there was a little return to those informational segments they excised from the show a season or two ago, and it was nice to see a change in scenery. 

• Love 1

Bumping this to note that the Vintage episodes have begun airing on PBS.  For those not familiar, these are episodes that aired 15 years ago.  They show the initial appraisal, and then update the value to reflect what it would be in 2018.  Some pieces increase in value, other pieces drop considerably.   I believe this crop of episodes is from 2003. 

• Love 2

I love the vintage episodes. It is so interesting to see how values can increase or depreciate in a relatively short period of time. I may be misremembering the details, but on this latest episode, I couldn't believe the cloisonné bowl that was originally valued at $7,000 is now valued at $50,000. Or maybe it was $30,000. But whatever, it was an incredible increase. I may have mentioned this before, but this show is almost a little history lesson. It usually drops some educational tidbits while discussing items. I've known some answers on Jeopardy thanks to some of these items! 

• Love 2
(edited)

I may be misremembering the details, but on this latest episode, I couldn't believe the cloisonné bowl that was originally valued at $7,000 is now valued at $50,000. Or maybe it was $30,000. But whatever, it was an incredible increase.

I think you are right about the numbers.  It's amazing the increase and the drop in value some of these pieces have. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 1

I was interested in more of the Vintage Chicago items than I generally am in any one episode — perhaps because I've lived in the Chicago area from approximately ages 10-20 and 50-65 — so, more than anywhere else. I loved the not-steel guitars. They reminded me of one I regret giving away when I moved to California in the 70s. I was surprised that a lot of the items had lost value—especially the old Cubs poster. I think some of the paintings that "lost" value since 2003 were just overvalued at that time. I loved the small Grant Wood painting more than his more famous pieces.

• Love 2
(edited)

Right now watching S23E15, "Churchill Downs Racetrack Hour 3" (originally aired May 20, 2019).

The featured pieces are separated by quick bits like they used to save for the end.

One bit shows a couple of ladies with a collection of Steiff puppets, one of the ladies wearing a cat puppet on her hand, dated from the 1950s--which I immediately recognized.

Around 1957-1961 I had two Steiff cat puppets, one on each of the knobs of the headboard of my bed, which I believed would protect me from nightmares.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
(edited)

This aired today:

"Vintage St. Paul"

Repeat, 6/17/2019,  Season 23 / Episode 16 , Entertainment, Collectible

Updated appraisals from St. Paul, Minn., reveal that one marvelous treasure has skyrocketed to a value of $2 to $3 million since its original appraisal back in 2004, making it the highest-valued treasure ever to appear on "Antiques Roadshow."

It was a pocket watch that had been appraised privately about 15 years prior to the original 2004 airing (1989?) for about $6,000, and was given an Antiques Roadshow estimated value in 2004 of about $250,000, but today, in 2019, is valued at $2-3 million (pbs.org/video/antiques-roadshow-premiering-monday-may-21st-87c-roadshow-remembers/; thirteen.org/programs/antiques-roadshow/vintage-st-paul-cvrmty/).

Meanwhile, my 10-year-old, low-mileage Toyota is getting $1250 in necessary repairs.
Maybe I should call back my uncle about my grandfather's gold watch that doesn't run.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

When watching tonight’s Vintage Miami episode, did anyone else get the impression that the appraiser did not know that Davy Crockett died at the Alamo? When valuing the marriage license that was not executed and saying that after Davy married a different girl and had 2 children, he moved himself to Texas and then “moved up and outward and throughout the world.”  The appraiser made it sound like Davy moved on and did other things after Texas. I have rewound this several times and have quoted exactly what the appraiser said. I thought it is common knowledge that he died at the Alamo. Or maybe I am wrongly interpreting what he said. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

When watching tonight’s Vintage Miami episode, did anyone else get the impression that the appraiser did not know that Davy Crockett died at the Alamo? When valuing the marriage license that was not executed and saying that after Davy married a different girl and had 2 children, he moved himself to Texas and then “moved up and outward and throughout the world.”  The appraiser made it sound like Davy moved on and did other things after Texas. I have rewound this several times and have quoted exactly what the appraiser said. I thought it is common knowledge that he died at the Alamo. Or maybe I am wrongly interpreting what he said. 

The only thing that struck me as odd was the appraiser referring to him as David Crockett instead of Davy Crockett. I see that Wikipedia just mentions "Davy" at the beginning and then uses "David" throughout the article, so maybe that's standard practice for historians?
Or, maybe the appraiser had just looked up Davy Crockett in Wikipedia because his legendary exploits and real life are not the same, and/or the appraiser was not so familiar with him?
Or, maybe the appraiser (and historians in general) used "David" to distinguish the real person from the legend, and, maybe aspects of him dying at The Alamo are more legendary than the real circumstances, so the appraiser chose not to mention it (for time).

It was interesting to see the changes in value. I'd like to know more about the reasons. Is it ever because the appraiser was wrong earlier?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

The only thing that struck me as odd was the appraiser referring to him as David Crockett instead of Davy Crockett. I see that Wikipedia just mentions "Davy" at the beginning and then uses "David" throughout the article, so maybe that's standard practice for historians?
Or, maybe the appraiser had just looked up Davy Crockett in Wikipedia because his legendary exploits and real life are not the same, and/or the appraiser was not so familiar with him?
Or, maybe the appraiser (and historians in general) used "David" to distinguish the real person from the legend, and, maybe aspects of him dying at The Alamo are more legendary than the real circumstances, so the appraiser chose not to mention it (for time).

It was interesting to see the changes in value. I'd like to know more about the reasons. Is it ever because the appraiser was wrong earlier?

With the military items there’s a few instances where the appraiser had it wrong. For example the American tonnage flag from WWII isn’t really worth anything while the patches were the most valuable items in the lot.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

t was interesting to see the changes in value. I'd like to know more about the reasons. Is it ever because the appraiser was wrong earlier?

I think the vast majority of the changes are due to Econ 101 reasons: supply and demand. For example, once we Boomers are gone, nobody will be paying big bucks for Howdy Doody paraphernalia. And fashion plays a role: the decline in value of so-called 'brown furniture' corresponds to the rise of the white-and-bright modern style currently popular.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Last night I caught 23.24 “Extraordinary Finds"

To celebrate 500 episodes of "Antiques Roadshow," longtime appraisers and memorable guests share behind-the-scenes stories about the series in an interview setting, shedding light on what goes on when the cameras stop rolling

It’s reairing throughout today and this week, and should be at pbs.org soon. 
It was interesting, informative, and a well-curated selection of a variety of “finds” mostly from the early 2000s.  

• Love 3
On 11/5/2019 at 7:24 AM, shapeshifter said:

Last night I caught 23.24 “Extraordinary Finds"

It’s reairing throughout today and this week, and should be at pbs.org soon. 
It was interesting, informative, and a well-curated selection of a variety of “finds” mostly from the early 2000s.  

That was such a great episode and I remember all those pieces.

I love all those pieces but some of my favorites are: Claire with the Seymour card table that she sold for $490,000! I miss the Keno brothers. I think I mentioned somewhere way up thread that I read their joint autobiography and if you’re interested in furniture, it is a good read. I especially loved reading about their childhood and their great finds over the years. I’d love them to update that book. 

Another favorite: the swan sled. Such a gorgeous piece! And the dealer had paid $40,000 years ago for its twin! Yikes! 

The guy with the Navajo blanket. He was so speechless and adorable when he heard the value. 

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

The guy with the Navajo blanket. He was so speechless and adorable when he heard the value. 

And after generations of hardship! I like to think the original Navajo fiber artist would be satisfied with the outcome. 
I was struck by the horizontal stripe design. 
The American flag sports the same design. 
I’ve been wondering if Betsey Ross or whoever chose stripes in part because of the way they ripple in the wind when drying after being washed or otherwise wet. 

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

And after generations of hardship! I like to think the original Navajo fiber artist would be satisfied with the outcome. 
I was struck by the horizontal stripe design. 
The American flag sports the same design. 
I’ve been wondering if Betsey Ross or whoever chose stripes in part because of the way they ripple in the wind when drying after being washed or otherwise wet. 

I never thought about that, but that is a neat thought. I’m way too uncreative and unartistic to think of that!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

Cities for the 2020 tour were announced today:

• Williamsburg, VA
  • Nashville, TN
  • Boston, MA
  • Estes Park, CO
  • Santa Fe, NM 

You can enter the random ticket drawing from now until February 19, 2020 for a chance to get tickets. 

I’m so glad there’s going to be another season. I love how PBS is loyal to this show and its fans. My PBS station is rerunning the UK versions which I’ve seen 100 times but I still enjoy them!

• Love 2

"My PBS station is rerunning the UK versions which I’ve seen 100 times but I still enjoy them! "

Logo sometimes shows Antiques Roadshow UK but only 2015 - 2017. I wish they would show older ones (and newer ones)! Currently Logo is showing Antiques Roadtrip which is also a lot of fun.

20 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

In case you’re wondering why Mark Walberg wasn’t a host on the season premiere:

At least from what I have read, he is no longer hosting after last season.  My understanding is he was replaced by Coral Pena.  If you watch this season's premiere, it's a woman's voice doing the intro and giving information about the location, not Wahlberg.

On 1/7/2020 at 5:13 PM, txhorns79 said:

At least from what I have read, he is no longer hosting after last season.  My understanding is he was replaced by Coral Pena.  If you watch this season's premiere, it's a woman's voice doing the intro and giving information about the location, not Wahlberg.

I thought the new person has a really unpleasant voice.

On 11/12/2019 at 1:40 PM, txhorns79 said:

Cities for the 2020 tour were announced today:

• Williamsburg, VA
  • Nashville, TN
  • Boston, MA
  • Estes Park, CO
  • Santa Fe, NM 

You can enter the random ticket drawing from now until February 19, 2020 for a chance to get tickets. 

I saw the tickets announcement on my PBS station during the holidays.  I just now went to the site and registered for Williamsburg.  I have no idea what I'll bring if I get tickets.

We went to Des Moines in 2000 and brought a china clock and a cookie jar, and my husband brought a silver plated inkwell and (if I remember correctly) another silver inkwell.  Nothing was worth much, but we had a great time.  We learned a little about the items.  At that time, each ticket holder could bring two items.  A guy in line with us brought some dolls that his grandmother owned.  We're in a couple of frames near the end of the broadcast.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

LOL at the reaction of the guy who had the $500-700K Rolex valuation! Wonder what he’ll do with it? I’d sell that thing tomorrow! He’s only a couple of years older than I am. 

I think they tend to give the top value on this show, and I wonder if he were to sell it, whether he would get it.  I vaguely recall a few years ago, one of the appraisers valued some beautiful Chinese jade pieces at nearly a million, but I think the owner got perhaps a little less than half of that when she actually took them to auction. 

• Useful 2
15 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I think they tend to give the top value on this show, and I wonder if he were to sell it, whether he would get it.  I vaguely recall a few years ago, one of the appraisers valued some beautiful Chinese jade pieces at nearly a million, but I think the owner got perhaps a little less than half of that when she actually took them to auction. 

It is still an awful lot of money in his case if its $200,000. If I were him, I would probably sell it at a value like that. If it were a lot closer to what he had paid for it, no, as it appears to mean quite a bit to him. 

• Love 3
On 1/29/2020 at 10:32 PM, txhorns79 said:

That’s true that many times when owners sell their item, they get less than the AR appraisal. There are many factors—-the market at the time of the auction, the nature of the item (vase vs watch), provenance of the item, etc. I do think that Rolex watches with all that provenance and being relatively unworn would bring the higher end of the appraisal. But what do I know? It’s fun to imagine that I have that particular item and what I would do. After every big dollar appraisal, I shout Sell! But that’s because I’m almost Medicare age! 

I wanted to share a heads up that my PBS station airs an Antiques Roadshow Recut that I stumbled across. My DVR is set to record AR, but since this show has Recut after it, it didn’t record. I guess these items are leftovers that didn’t make the “big airing” from previous locales but believe me, they are worthy of the airtime. One show from Newport that I just watched had an incredible Faberge jade snuff bottle. So if you’re in the dark like I was about the Recut show, you might want to look for it! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I wanted to share a heads up that my PBS station airs an Antiques Roadshow Recut that I stumbled across. My DVR is set to record AR, but since this show has Recut after it, it didn’t record. I guess these items are leftovers that didn’t make the “big airing” from previous locales but believe me, they are worthy of the airtime. One show from Newport that I just watched had an incredible Faberge jade snuff bottle. So if you’re in the dark like I was about the Recut show, you might want to look for it! 

Is that what that is?  I thought they were just taking old segments and putting them into a new episode.  I was thinking it was like a half-hour version of one of the theme episodes they do from time to time.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Is that what that is?  I thought they were just taking old segments and putting them into a new episode.  I was thinking it was like a half-hour version of one of the theme episodes they do from time to time.

Oh! Then I’m worried because I don’t remember any of these items! My memory is worse than I realized... Anyway, I enjoy this “extra” show. 

7 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I did too!

10 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

It’s fun to imagine that I have that particular item and what I would do. After every big dollar appraisal, I shout Sell! But that’s because I’m almost Medicare age! 

Hah! I do too. My mind always immediately translates the sale price into whether or not I or one of my kids could buy a house or at least a car with the money, heh.
And after seeing/reading that most people do soon sell (I think it was mostly because of the expense of insuring and properly housing the item) I now think in terms of more people being able to appreciate the item in a gallery or museum and that way it won’t wind up out on the street for the trash collectors where it might not be found by humans. 

Update, I did not win the ticket lottery for Williamsburg.  A bit disappointed, but it won't put me off watching.  With the Colonial Williamsburg's museum expansion opening soon, I'm sure some of their collections may be part of the background information.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Update, I did not win the ticket lottery for Williamsburg.  A bit disappointed, but it won't put me off watching.  With the Colonial Williamsburg's museum expansion opening soon, I'm sure some of their collections may be part of the background information.

Yeah, I’ve entered the lottery for two different locales in the past and didn’t get tix. It miffed me at first but my devotion for the show remains in tact. I didn’t have anything to take that has a high monetary value. I just wanted to rub elbows with the appraisers that I’ve watched for years! I’m sure the Williamsburg show will be amazing.

• Love 3

I just want to pass along a show recommendation to my AR friends. It’s on Netflix and called The Repair Shop. Set in the UK in a picturesque thatched cottage “workshop,” people bring in their sentimental items for repair. There is a staff of repair experts, who really are fine craftspeople, who each have their specialty—-wood, clocks, porcelain, paintings, stuffed toys, iron work, music boxes and more. It is absolutely fascinating to see how they can bring items back to life. I know the experts on AR usually frown upon restoration but most of these pieces are more sentimental rather than valuable and the repairs enhance the owners’ enjoyment of them. There are three items in each episode and there are only two seasons. I may or may not have a crush on Will, the wood expert. You might want to check it out if you have Netflix!

• Love 4

For once, DirecTV/ATT has done something nice. They’ve unlocked many premium channels during this COVID shutdown, so my comfort viewing lately has been the UK version of AR on Ovation channel. These are episodes from 2018 that I’ve never seen before. I would be happy with a marathon, especially if they got bold and aired THE ORIGINAL shows back when I was, ahem, much younger! I remember when Arthur Negus hosted the show, although I know he wasn’t the original host.

5 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

The new "vintage" episodes just began airing on Monday.  They are looking back at the 2006 season and updating the appraisals for 2020.

Yes, I was surprised the other night when I saw that my DVR had recorded an episode and I knew there aren’t any new shows right now. It made sense when I then saw it was the updated appraisal show, which I enjoy. And on Saturdays lately, my PBS station is airing the UK episodes with Fiona Bruce. She’s a delightful host and a lot of fun. I like it when they’ll lay out three or four different items of the same genre  (tea caddies, porcelain figures, etc.) and she has to pick the one that is worth the most. She’s usually pretty good at guessing most valuable and is a good sport when she guesses incorrectly. My favorite UK appraiser is Andy McConnell, the glass guy. He certainly is very passionate about glass!

1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

Yes, I was surprised the other night when I saw that my DVR had recorded an episode and I knew there aren’t any new shows right now. It made sense when I then saw it was the updated appraisal show, which I enjoy. And on Saturdays lately, my PBS station is airing the UK episodes with Fiona Bruce. She’s a delightful host and a lot of fun. I like it when they’ll lay out three or four different items of the same genre  (tea caddies, porcelain figures, etc.) and she has to pick the one that is worth the most. She’s usually pretty good at guessing most valuable and is a good sport when she guesses incorrectly. My favorite UK appraiser is Andy McConnell, the glass guy. He certainly is very passionate about glass!

Reading this makes me think that probably the best thing I can do right now to relieve stress is watch more stuff like this and less news. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Reading this makes me think that probably the best thing I can do right now to relieve stress is watch more stuff like this and less news. 

No doubt! About two months ago I had to eliminate the news and turn to comfort TV (and comfort food!) In addition to AR, I’m re-watching GBBO and The Repair Shop on Netflix. However, Netflix has only two seasons of TRS so I need to find other seasons online. I do have certain of our local news people on occasionally (and muted) because their pets will be in the background doing cute pet stuff. 

• Love 2

I just watched the Season 20, Episode 7 "Charleston" episode rerun (2/15/2016). 
The last item discussed by an appraiser was a beautiful, intricately sculpted (including perfectly proportioned figures), amazing Japanese Komai Iron & Gold Vase (ca. 1890) --one of a pair that were purchased by an ex-husband's grandparent, and brought to the roadshow by his ex-sister-in-law. She said her sister gave her one, and that the ex said they were "valuable." 
Well. Yes. $100,000 each, possibly $300,000 for the pair.
So one or two houses.

https://www.pbs.org/video/antiques-roadshow-appraisal-japanese-komai-iron-gold-vase-ca-1890/

Perhaps because I've never owned a home, I often think of the values of the ARS items in terms of "houses."

• LOL 1
On 7/21/2020 at 10:41 PM, txhorns79 said:

I've been catching up on episodes, and you will never convince me that Magic: The Gathering Cards are an antique or worth as much as the show is claiming. 

I just watched the vintage episodes of Salt Lake City and L.A. and don’t remember seeing those cards. Do you recall what the appraisal value was?

On the L.A. episode, there was a Victorian insect collage with butterflies, scarab beetles and other insects. It was valued at $2,000-$3,000 in 2005 and held its value in the 2020 update. I know Victorians loved their stuffed birds, animals, and all sorts of nature pieces, but I thought it was gross. YMMV!

It’s always sad to see appraisers who have no firm or company under their name when they identify them on screen because it usually indicates that they have passed. I knew that Richard Wright, the doll appraiser, passed several years ago. But in the to-be-expected category, the older gentleman in the wheelchair must have passed and another older gentleman whose face has been particularly pale for some years must have passed as well. 

18 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

I just watched the vintage episodes of Salt Lake City and L.A. and don’t remember seeing those cards. Do you recall what the appraisal value was?

On the L.A. episode, there was a Victorian insect collage with butterflies, scarab beetles and other insects. It was valued at $2,000-$3,000 in 2005 and held its value in the 2020 update. I know Victorians loved their stuffed birds, animals, and all sorts of nature pieces, but I thought it was gross. YMMV!

It’s always sad to see appraisers who have no firm or company under their name when they identify them on screen because it usually indicates that they have passed. I knew that Richard Wright, the doll appraiser, passed several years ago. But in the to-be-expected category, the older gentleman in the wheelchair must have passed and another older gentleman whose face has been particularly pale for some years must have passed as well. 

I too was grossed out by the bug collection even though as a young child I once filled a shoe box with caterpillars. 

I was feeling a little sad about one of the elderly women who had brought in an antique and was likely now no longer alive. I can't recall which one. 

5 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

They were in the first Desert Botanical hour from this season.  I'm very behind.  They appraised at $65,000 to $100,000.