Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Antiques Roadshow (US)

Or maybe too proud to admit on public TV that they'd be selling the stuff next week to continue to live in those tony neighborhoods?

I liked the Newport episodes.  It was like there was a little return to those informational segments they excised from the show a season or two ago, and it was nice to see a change in scenery. 

• Like 1

Bumping this to note that the Vintage episodes have begun airing on PBS.  For those not familiar, these are episodes that aired 15 years ago.  They show the initial appraisal, and then update the value to reflect what it would be in 2018.  Some pieces increase in value, other pieces drop considerably.   I believe this crop of episodes is from 2003. 

• Like 2

I love the vintage episodes. It is so interesting to see how values can increase or depreciate in a relatively short period of time. I may be misremembering the details, but on this latest episode, I couldn't believe the cloisonné bowl that was originally valued at $7,000 is now valued at $50,000. Or maybe it was $30,000. But whatever, it was an incredible increase. I may have mentioned this before, but this show is almost a little history lesson. It usually drops some educational tidbits while discussing items. I've known some answers on Jeopardy thanks to some of these items! 

• Like 2

I may be misremembering the details, but on this latest episode, I couldn't believe the cloisonné bowl that was originally valued at $7,000 is now valued at $50,000. Or maybe it was $30,000. But whatever, it was an incredible increase.

I think you are right about the numbers.  It's amazing the increase and the drop in value some of these pieces have. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Like 1

I was interested in more of the Vintage Chicago items than I generally am in any one episode — perhaps because I've lived in the Chicago area from approximately ages 10-20 and 50-65 — so, more than anywhere else. I loved the not-steel guitars. They reminded me of one I regret giving away when I moved to California in the 70s. I was surprised that a lot of the items had lost value—especially the old Cubs poster. I think some of the paintings that "lost" value since 2003 were just overvalued at that time. I loved the small Grant Wood painting more than his more famous pieces.

• Like 2

The 2019 tour has been announced.

The cities are:

Phoenix, AZ - April 16

San Antonio, TX - April 27

Sacramento, CA  - May 13

Fargo, ND - June 1

Winterthur, DE - June 18 (Winterthur is not far from Wilmington).

• Like 3

This post is a test. 

But since you're here, the last thing I saw on my local PBS station was the Miami episode with the Calder mobile. It was pretty cool. 

• Like 2

Right now watching S23E15, "Churchill Downs Racetrack Hour 3" (originally aired May 20, 2019).

The featured pieces are separated by quick bits like they used to save for the end.
One bit shows a couple of ladies with a collection of Steiff puppets, one of the ladies wearing a cat puppet on her hand, dated from the 1950s. 
Around 1957-1961 I had two Steiff cat puppets, one on each of the knobs of the headboard of my bed, which I believed would protect me from nightmares.